PDA

View Full Version : What does the Purple Diamond mean in Recruiting?

Boucher
07-20-2010, 07:31 PM
In recruiting in Off Season theres a 5* MLB with a Purple Diamond by his name, what the hell does that mean?

CLW
07-20-2010, 07:37 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that means the player wasn't interested in your program before but is now suddenly in your Top 10.

Boucher
07-20-2010, 07:40 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe that means the player wasn't interested in your program before but is now suddenly in your Top 10.\

When i looked at more info it showed i wasnt in his top 10, but i added him to my board just for kicks and giggles

oweb26
07-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Talk to him, you might be in for a surprise

jaymo76
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I would love to see the list of symbols again... I forgot most of them from last year (as in what they mean) aka open lock???

JBHuskers
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Talk to him, you might be in for a surprise

That sounds creepy :D

Kingpin32
07-20-2010, 08:15 PM
I think the diamond means "Diamond in the Rough", but I have wondered what all the symbols meant.

steelerfan
07-20-2010, 08:27 PM
That sounds creepy :D

"I'm Chris Hanson with Dateline NBC...." :eek:

cdj
07-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Here's a link to a blog on recruiting on NCAA Football 10 (http://insideblog.easports.com/archive/2010/02/19/in-the-trenches-ncaa-football-tips-amp-tricks-recruiting.aspx) I put together last year that talks about the icons.

Pink Diamond: This icon indicates that a four or five star recruit has a hidden interest in your school. Once placed on your Recruiting Board, you will be listed between 7th and 10th on their list. They will need to be recruited normally from there on out in order to sign them.

Cipher 8
07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
These may seem like stupid questions but I don't follow college FBall much and I didn't do a full OD last year so I'm not sure how scholarships work?

It says you have 25 right? Is that each yearly or total?

In your article (link above) it said, "Basically, heavy recruiting of one position in a certain class leads to a waste of scholarships and reduces the number of players that can be signed in future years until they graduate, leading to weaknesses your roster and depth chart. "

Does that mean once you offer a scholarship to them they hold that one scholarship until they graduate?

Wouldn't you get another 25 scholarships when next season started?

Also if you give someone a scholarship can you drop them from the team and get that scholarship back?

Cipher 8
07-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Also in that article it said, "Open Padlock: Each week, three players on your Recruiting Board will have two random pitches unlocked without needing to spend any time chatting with them."

and

"x2 (Double Points): Three players on your Recruiting Board will receive double the recruiting points when targeting pitches. For example, if focusing on a Hard Sell would normally provide a +13 boost will now give +26. The x2 also applies within Competitive Recruiting."

Are these still in NCAA 11 and where can i see this so I know what players recieved these bonuses for that week?

cdj
07-20-2010, 11:21 PM
First off, there's no such thing as stupid questions. It's better to ask than to wonder & never know!

You get 25 scholarships a year to use to offer & sign players. However, you can only have 70 players on your roster. While you can target 35 players each year, you can only sign 25 - and over a four year period only keep 70% of each class, provided you sign all 25.

IMO, a lot of gamers only target around 20 players each year (keying on their needs first) so they can give each more time and focus when recruiting. That me be paramount in landing great classes this year.

If you have more than 70 players on the roster, you can cut players at the end of each recruiting season.

Cipher 8
07-20-2010, 11:37 PM
First off, there's no such thing as stupid questions. It's better to ask than to wonder & never know!

You get 25 scholarships a year to use to offer & sign players. However, you can only have 70 players on your roster. While you can target 35 players each year, you can only sign 25 - and over a four year period only keep 70% of each class, provided you sign all 25.
So if I signed 18 people and gave 15 of them scholarships and went into next season I'de have a full 25 more scholarships to do my recruiting with or would I be without those 15 scholarships? leaving me with 10 scholarships to work with...

Basically you can have 70 players on roster but how many of those 70 can have scholarships?

IMO, a lot of gamers only target around 20 players each year (keying on their needs first) so they can give each more time and focus when recruiting. That me be paramount in landing great classes this year.I have 35/35 but a lot of the times I don't call any of them past 20... just there to fill my board and if a guy in my top 20 is looking to get away from me I'll decide whether or not to remove him depending on how those guys from 20-35 are, if I'm low, mid, or high on their list.

And yeah about the random topic unlocks and X2, you know if they are still in and how I tell which prospects have the bonuses during a week?

cdj
07-20-2010, 11:43 PM
It's 25 scholarships each year, no matter what. If you sign the max every year, you will have to cut players once recruiting is over with. If you sign only 10-12 each year (a low number), the computer will automatically put (lowly rated) walk-ons on your roster to fill it up.

The unlocks are still in. You will see the padlock & X2s when you are calling recruits, in the upper left - to the right of their faces. I rarely add top recruits unless I am in their top 3-5, so I've never seen this pink diamond everyone is talking about. :(

Cipher 8
07-20-2010, 11:58 PM
It's 25 scholarships each year, no matter what. If you sign the max every year, you will have to cut players once recruiting is over with. If you sign only 10-12 each year (a low number), the computer will automatically put (lowly rated) walk-ons on your roster to fill it up.

The unlocks are still in. You will see the padlock & X2s when you are calling recruits, in the upper left - to the right of their faces. I rarely add top recruits unless I am in their top 3-5, so I've never seen this pink diamond everyone is talking about. :(

So the Random topic unlocks and X2's are in? Damn... I haven't even been taking advantage of these...

Just so I get this straight...

Is the only way of telling if that player has that bonus (topic unlock or x2) for that specific week is to call them Or can you press (Y) for More Info and see the indicator by their face before you call them?

Also would it be smarter then to not put a full 35 recruits on your recruiting board? Because then the 10-20 or so players you want to get would have a higher chance of getting the random x2 more often rather then someone say like the guy you got placed at 31 on your list getting the X2 randomally though you don't even call that person, he's just there to fill the board.

Also on that thought...

Do recruits like you more as long as they're on your list? Cuz if I took most my 20-30 players off my recruiting board, even though I'm not calling them every week, would I drop on their interest if I wasn't on their list, like lose points? Or is the only way you drop if a school behind you is actively recruiting them and is gaining points to pass you?

A lot of questions for one post but I hope to get this thing figured out so I can master my craft at recruiting.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Yeah I had an advisor x2 call in my 360 dyansty....netted 790 points and I was already leading for this 5* OLB, and now I have a lead of 600 on #2 :D

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:21 AM
I don't think you get the X2 anymore... I just went and made a quick dynasty and advanced to do my recruiting to test it out and see what the indicators looked like. I saw the lock logo twice but I never saw the x2...

Now it said in your article, ""x2 (Double Points): Three players on your Recruiting Board will receive double the recruiting points when targeting pitches. For example, if focusing on a Hard Sell would normally provide a +13 boost will now give +26. The x2 also applies within Competitive Recruiting."

That implies every week three players receive this bonus right? So 3 players should have the little x2 logo.

It's not a rare thing where it doesn't happen every week, only some weeks right?

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah I had an advisor x2 call in my 360 dyansty....netted 790 points and I was already leading for this 5* OLB, and now I have a lead of 600 on #2 :D

That advisor thing is for purchase right? That works for all your online and offline dynasties right... not just one.

Can a commish set some settings to off so that and the other helper things can't be used...? Sorta seems like a big advantage when they tell you when and what people are susceptable to big calls or instant signs...

I'll have to purchase that I guess but I'de like to run one with everything even too so I hope a commish can set them to off.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Yeah I've ran some tests and only had 6 recruits on my board and one week I didn't have any X2's or any lock logo's either...

So are you sure you get 3 every week or is a rare occurance when these things happen?

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 12:41 AM
No there is a random time where a recruit from your entire board has a X2 ... when you make the pitch the double bonus is called an "advisor bonus" it's completely random, but it's not one of the Time Savers. I believe it is just one recruit from your board per week.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:44 AM
LOL I tried to purchase the thing in one of my online dynasties and it said Dynasty Accelerators have been turned off for this dynasty. Which is awesome that a commish can do that to keep it fair. Still do you think the Recruit Advisor and Recruit Report is worth the purchase? There only $2 each...

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:48 AM
No there is a random time where a recruit from your entire board has a X2 ...

So it is a random occurance, it doesn't happen once a week? I know it randomly picks the recruit from your board.

when you make the pitch the double bonus is called an "advisor bonus" it's completely random, but it's not one of the Time Savers. I believe it is just one recruit from your board per week.
It happens once a week cuz I went and made a dynasty and just did recruiting and never saw a X2 next to any of the people I called. I only added 10 people to my board so it should have happened to one of them right?

Does the X2 indicator not show up until you pitch the topic? Maybe it doesn't happen til the latter part of the season... cuz it didn't show up one time in the first four weeks so far.. i just simmed my games and went week by week looking for it...

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Also would it be smarter then to not put a full 35 recruits on your recruiting board? Because then the top 10-20 or so players on your board would have a higher chance of getting the random x2 more often rather then someone say like the guy you got placed at 31 on your list getting picked and given the X2 even though you don't even call that person, he's just there to fill the board.

I'm still deciding if I should take a bunch of people off my list because of this? Anyone have any suggestions... how often do these 2 topic unlocks and X2 pitch bonus actually occur for real...?

morsdraconis
07-21-2010, 12:55 AM
The X2 is a random occurrence that picks three players on your board. It definitely doesn't happen every week and seems to happen much less frequently on AA difficulty and even less frequently on Heisman difficulty.

cdj
07-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Is the only way of telling if that player has that bonus (topic unlock or x2) for that specific week is to call them Or can you press (Y) for More Info and see the indicator by their face before you call them?

Also would it be smarter then to not put a full 35 recruits on your recruiting board?

Do recruits like you more as long as they're on your list?

- Only way to know is by calling.

- Well, personally I think you are best suited for 15-25. You can always start with 35 and at mid-season reevaluate. Any players that you haven't cracked the Top 10 on or you have a huge deficit to overcome can probably be dropped.

- Yes and the order in which they appear on your list matters. I don't think we know to what level or extreme, but the order and how many other players at that same position you are recruiting matters.

Hope this helps! BTW, I don't think a person needs to buy any of the Dynasty help. Just by learning the basics, you can get the icons to appear and know how to use them most effectively.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 01:03 AM
Yeah the X2 could be a recruit that you don't end up calling, which is why you don't see it.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 01:07 AM
- Yes and the order in which they appear on your list matters. I don't think we know to what level or extreme, but the order and how many other players at that same position you are recruiting matters.
Really? I was aware where you placed them mattered. I'm constantly moving my prospects based on how far back i am, to higher priority.

So would you say if i need a MLB it would be smartest to find one and recruit him rather then finding 5 that I'm in the top 10 of because they get pissed if I'm recruiting other MLB's?

Does that make getting positions where you start two, like Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, Outside Linebacker harder to get maybe...

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Yeah the X2 could be a recruit that you don't end up calling, which is why you don't see it.

Thing is i called everyone and only spend 10 minutes on each just to see what the X2 logo looked like so i would know what to look for in my online dyn. but I didn't see it once in four weeks... Hmmm.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Really? so if i need a MLB it would be smartest to find one I'm in the top 5 of and recruit him rather then finding 5 that I'm in the top 10 of because they get pissed if I'm recruiting other MLB's?

Does that make getting positions where you start two, like Offensive Tackle, Cornerback, Tight End, Outside Linebacker harder to get maybe...

Yeah offering multiple scholarships to the same position discourages recruits as well.

I am not 100% sure if you have multiple needs if that affects the recruits negatively, I want to say no.

cdj
07-21-2010, 01:10 AM
- At the very least, only go after 2 or 3 guys with interest versus 5 (or more).

- I wouldn't think so. I'd guess the game is more lenient at certain positions and would let you go after 3-4 OT (for example) and not downgrade you as much as if it were 3-4 QBs.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 01:11 AM
- At the very least, only go after 2 or 3 guys with interest versus 5 (or more).

- I wouldn't think so. I'd guess the game is more lenient at certain positions and would let you go after 3-4 OT (for example) and not downgrade you as much as if it were 3-4 QBs.

....but also only offer a scholarship to one guy until it looks like you're not going to get him....keep talking to the others but just offer to one guy at that position.

JeffHCross
07-21-2010, 01:22 AM
So if I signed 18 people and gave 15 of them scholarships and went into next season I'de have a full 25 more scholarships to do my recruiting with or would I be without those 15 scholarships? leaving me with 10 scholarships to work with...

Basically you can have 70 players on roster but how many of those 70 can have scholarships?Every player has a scholarship. Unlike real football, there are no walk-ons on this game. If you sign a player during recruiting, he is given a scholarship. You are limited to 70 players/scholarships on your roster.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Every player has a scholarship. Unlike real football, there are no walk-ons on this game. If you recruit a player, he is given a scholarship. You are limited to 70 players/scholarships on your roster.

if you dont recruit enough players they'll put a shitty walkon on your roster i think but yeah i was just making sure if i offer all 25 scholarships that i get another 25 next year... :p

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 01:27 AM
Well thanks everyone for all the help and hints... I still haven't seen the X2 logo appear on any of my guys so I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled. I sorta wanna start another dynasty now with all this recruiting knowledge... :)

JeffHCross
07-21-2010, 01:29 AM
if you dont recruit enough players they'll put a shitty walkon on your roster i think but yeah i was just making sure if i offer all 25 scholarships that i get another 25 next year... :pWell, yeah, but as soon as that walk-on comes onto your team he's effectively given a scholarship ;)

And yes, you get 25 every year, year-in and year-out, no matter how many you have available (as wrong as that is).

souljahbill
07-21-2010, 06:27 AM
I cap my recruiting at 15 so I can spend more time with the people I want then flooding my board. I used to do only 10 before this year but thanks to recruiting time being more efficient this year, I can go after a few more people.

psusnoop
07-21-2010, 06:44 AM
I usually spend the first two weeks of a season trimming my original board down to 15 or 16 as well. Sorry I missed playing you last night Soul.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Just got the X2 on a 5 star DT in my Virginia Tech dynasty... good thing too because my cousin, the only other person in the dynasty, was 2nd I was 3rd and it allowed me to gain on him I think.

Just to be clear though the X2 only works for when you Pitch a topic or try to compare a topic against another school right?

That could really be effective when it's hard to attack a good school ahead of you but using the X2 you could turn a -38 into a - 76 and so on... Deadly :)

souljahbill
07-21-2010, 08:23 AM
I usually spend the first two weeks of a season trimming my original board down to 15 or 16 as well. Sorry I missed playing you last night Soul.

No need to apologize. It happens. I suck anyway so you didn't miss out on anything. :D

souljahbill
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Just got the X2 on a 5 star DT in my Virginia Tech dynasty... good thing too because my cousin, the only other person in the dynasty, was 2nd I was 3rd and it allowed me to gain on him I think.

Just to be clear though the X2 only works for when you Pitch a topic or try to compare a topic against another school right?

That could really be effective when it's hard to attack a good school ahead of you but using the X2 you could turn a -38 into a - 76 and so on... Deadly :)

Nope. Whenever you have a X2 week, anything you pitch or attempt to persuade will get double the points. Comparing schools, scholarship offers, scheduling visits, and making promises don't get the bonus. If the math looks off for pipeline states, it's because the advisor bonus takes your regular points plus your pipeline bonus then doubles that number.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 08:38 AM
The X2 icon will show behind the player's face.

iBrandon
07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I get the advisor thing and I didn’t purchase any accelerators. It’s just a random option that pops up like the 2X.

From what I gather, the purple (some have said pink) is a player who was not in your top 10 but once you place him on your board he jumps into the top 10, usually between 7-10th?

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 10:14 AM
I get the advisor thing and I didn’t purchase any accelerators. It’s just a random option that pops up like the 2X.

From what I gather, the purple (some have said pink) is a player who was not in your top 10 but once you place him on your board he jumps into the top 10, usually between 7-10th?

The advisor and 2X is the same thing.....the bonus for the 2X is called "advisor bonus" or something like that. Just a different name for it...but the 2X does show up behind the player.

Cipher 8
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Nope. Whenever you have a X2 week, anything you pitch or attempt to persuade will get double the points. Comparing schools, scholarship offers, scheduling visits, and making promises don't get the bonus. If the math looks off for pipeline states, it's because the advisor bonus takes your regular points plus your pipeline bonus then doubles that number.

Are you sure comparing schools doesn't? Cuz that would seem like a smart thing to do, maximize points taken from a school ahead of you... That being said I jut pitched because I thought that was all that got doubled plus 80 points + 80 bonus is really nice 160 for only on topic.

souljahbill
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Are you sure comparing schools doesn't? Cuz that would seem like a smart thing to do, maximize points taken from a school ahead of you... That being said I jut pitched because I thought that was all that got doubled plus 80 points + 80 bonus is really nice 160 for only on topic.

I'm positive. Only pitching and persuading give you the bonus.

zooks25
05-24-2012, 04:27 PM
i purchaced all the time savers HUGE HELP when recruiting i would recommend it highly. as for the X2 when i go to recruit the first thing i always check is the recruit ADVISOR. here is where on occasion the X2 will pop up with bewteen 1-4 players that you have in your own recruit board that you can get the extra bonus. the ADVISOR will say here are some recruits that we have the option to really get interested in our school if you talk to them.
Now sometimes you will have a player that isnt on your recruiting board but you have been passing up because your way to far behind to get him interested but if you need him NOW is the time to talk to him. if your lucky you can get between 1k and 1300 (the most ive gotten) from talking to this recruit which will put you back up possibly in his top 3 schools. im not sure how often it happens but im guessing its roughly 2 times in a season.
If your die hard player like i am and you can finish a dynasty season in a few days then its well worth spending the money on the TIME SAVERS