PDA

View Full Version : Read option?

Slaticus
07-20-2010, 05:29 PM
I am really struggling with this out of the gun and the pistol. The QB seems to stutter for a half second before getting going even when I make the right read.

The pistol is well nigh impossible to run the read option with.

TIPS PLEASE!!

morsdraconis
07-20-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't just hold the speed burst button.

Slaticus
07-20-2010, 06:46 PM
What do you mean?

AustinWolv
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Did the update download and install for you?

Slaticus
07-20-2010, 08:53 PM
As far as I know.

Rudy
09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
I've never run a spread option offense before and the biggest reason was because I suck at it. So I went to practice and spent almost 25 minutes just running variations of the read option (read option, WR option) and I'm getting pretty good at running it and reading the DE. At times I still make the wrong read but I'm getting better.

A few questions if some of you guys could answer, do you run the PA Read plays or do you just avoid PA plays altogether? I don't seem to have any success with PA Read plays although I may just need to practice those plays.

After practice I took Oregon into Michigan and beat them 23-3. Denard Robinson was terrible. He took a ton of sacks and did virtually nothing in the ground game. I wish the cpu would run the option better. Better yet, If they can't fix it please provide a separate slider for option run blocking so I can give the cpu boosts on option running plays (or the human as well). Anyways, I ran Thomas 18 times for only 23 yards. James did have 24 carries for 92 yards. I made a couple misreads but I simply tried to run the option almost all game. I think I only threw the ball 9 times. At times I was successful running the option and other times I got hit for a loss quite a bit. I found it hard to run the option when Michigan brought a lot of guys in the box. Do you find yourself audibling to pass plays when this happens or are you able to run the ball still? Do you find the spread is harder to run than a pro offense?

I see the advice to not hit the turbo - how long before you hit the turbo button when you are the QB? It's a fun offense to run but I need more practice.

AustinWolv
09-14-2010, 11:42 AM
do you just avoid PA plays altogether?
Personally, I avoid them on Heisman. Unfortunately, they end up in sacks. 98% of the time, it ends up in a sack or just having enough time to hit the short receiver, like the RB or FB leaking out or a TE crossing.

I wish the cpu would run the option better.
CPU isn't great at it as the QB keeps it majority of the time.
(Also remember that Denard is not rated well out of the box in this game)

I found it hard to run the option when Michigan brought a lot of guys in the box.
As it should be.
It is harder running spread option in the game than it is out of I or Ace formations when using the same sliders. If you plan on running spread option, don't be surprised if you have to bump up human run block a bit or better yet, decrease CPU rush defense a bit so they just don't react as quickly to plays.

Do you find yourself audibling to pass plays when this happens or are you able to run the ball still? Do you find the spread is harder to run than a pro offense?
Yes and Yes.

how long before you hit the turbo button when you are the QB? It's a fun offense to run but I need more practice.
Not until I'm in the 2nd level or definitely in the clear.

Rudy
09-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Thanks. I'll lay off the turbo from now on. I'm using luvtotha9s latest update. Denard is only an 83 (one point ahead of Tate) but I am boosting his awareness up so he's now an 89. I'm going to try this again but using Denard against Oregon at home and see what I can do.

AustinWolv
09-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Have you considered the auto-sprint being on?

Rudy
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
I tried that early on but didn't like it very much. Plus I was always hitting the R2 button to sprint anyways so I just went old school.

I'm home today but my daughter is playing Mario Kart right now so I can't get a rematch in at the moment. :(

Roy38
09-14-2010, 02:19 PM
From my experience, the Read Option is a viable weapon, but only in certain formations. When I was putting together my Southern Miss playbook, I was trying to incorporate an offense with a mobile QB in mind. I wanted to incorporate the Read Option, but found it difficult to run in certain formations. Let me give you an example:

My offense is geared around having 1022 personnel (1 HB, 0 FB, 2 TE, and 2 WR) the majority of the time. Since I'm showing offensive balance, the defense will tend to stay in its base defensive package (i.e., 4-3, 3-4, etc.). When I tried to incorporate the Read Option out of Shotgun: Y-Trips, the LB's would completely blow the play up. I would take my read key on the LE, keep or hand off accordingly, but regardless of what I did, the ROLB would disrupt the play either meeting the HB after the handoff or shooting the gap between the LT and LG and taking my QB down behind the line of scrimmage. The reason for this is simple - in a regular Cover 2-Man Under alignment (relatively safe and typically used defensive formation), the coverage assignments are as follows:

LCB is playing man on the Flanker
LOLB is playing man on the TE in the Slot WR position
MLB is playing man on the TE on the OL
ROLB is playing man on the HB

Now, running that same play out of Shotgun: Y-Trips HB Wk, the play gets reversed with my read key being the RE. If I handoff to the HB, I'm running to the strength of my offense with 2 TE's blocking down on the DL, LB's, or CB's. If I keep, the RE is removed from the play as he's trailing the HB as well as the ROLB because of the his man assignment on the HB (see above) makes him step towards the direction of the HB movement. This allows for the the QB to have some space because the ROLB now has to recover to track down the QB. While this doesn't yield lots of yardage, it does net effective yardage for your opponent to gameplan.

Escobar
09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
I average around 200 or more yards per game with the Spread running game. The point is to run plays that look like the Zone read but may not be. Run a Read Option and give it to the running back. Then run a HB Sweep or Off Tackle. The play looks basically the same. So once you get those plays to work run the Read Option or QB Wrap play.

Rudy
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Is the QB wrap play just a standard QB run or is there still an option to it?

I've practiced for over 20 minutes and then have played 3 games trying to run the offense. I finally got good in the final game as Denard Robinson had 21 carries for 127 yards and my RBs combined for 15 carries and 60 yards. I'm learning not just to read the DE but also the defensive formation in case they overload one side where the option won't work no matter what. If they sneak a LB down to the LOS beside the DE I'm reading it's pointless to keep it with the QB - just give it to the RB. Plus I'm audibling in to pass plays if they really stack the box.

AustinWolv
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Remember to use the inside plays too.....the base and HB gut stuff, as the D will basically spread out and bring LBs or safeties outside the ends if you keep running sweeps and read options.

Escobar
09-16-2010, 03:42 PM
The QB Wrap is a standard QB run. It has the look of the Read Option, but the Guard pulls around to lead block for the QB after he fakes the handoff.

gigemaggs99
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
So do ya'll have much success with the play action read plays? It seems like I am able to run the read RUN plays with some success but the PA varations, the Defense just blows me up, I have no time to even throw the ball. (I'm playing offline vs the CPU using Playmakers Slow Speed Varsity Level Custom Skill Sliders)

Rudy
09-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I still suck at the PA read plays myself. I did rush 6 times for 38 yards in my first drive against OSU this morning with Shoelace. Not so great after that but still led 7-3 at the half.

JeffHCross
09-18-2010, 12:29 AM
The QB Wrap is a standard QB run. It has the look of the Read Option, but the Guard pulls around to lead block for the QB after he fakes the handoff.I think, much like PA pass plays, you can give on the QB Wrap, even though it's not designed for it.

morsdraconis
09-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Found a freakin' gem in the Auburn playbook though it's definitely in other playbooks (listed below).

It's read option, but it's with the RB flexed in Shotgun (so the RB is a step behind the QB), with this setup, the RB actually runs the read option downhill instead of the to the outside.

The really great thing is that the formation audible for all three of those formations is a dive play, making it where you can spread them out and then hit them with the dive play when the numbers are to your liking.

Taking a quick glance through the playbooks, it appears that these are the formations that have this type of read option play or something similar:

SG Normal Wing TE - doesn't have read option, but does have motion WR triple option with the give to HB hitting up the middle

Baylor

SG Split Offset - Has a triple option with the HB hitting the middle instead of read option

Clemson
Eastern Michigan
Florida
Miss St
Penn State
So Miss
UL-Monroe
UNLV
Washington
Multiple

Read option only available in: Florida, So Miss, UL-Monroe, and Multiple

SG Slot F Wing - Read Option available in all

Florida
Miss St
Northwestern
UL-Lafayette
Multiple

Motion Triple option and PA pass from same look on available in Florida and Miss St

SG Normal Flex Wing

Auburn
Miss St
Oregon
UAB
Vanderbilt

SG Wing Offset

Auburn
Louisville
Miss St
Oregon
Tulsa
UL-Monroe
Vanderbilt

SG Spread Flex

SEVERAL

From that list, it looks like Mississippi State's playbook would be the one to go with if you actually want to run the spread offense and get a decent running game out of the Shotgun formations because it has all of these formations (including the Shotgun Spread Flex formation) available to you except for the SG Normal Wing TE formation (which appears to be the only playbook that has the formation with the triple option play and PA pass off of it).

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
10-20-2010, 12:13 PM
Miss St is the best playbook hands down for a power gun/read option offense... its what i use 99% of the time... other than that i will go old school stock pistol or the ohio playbook for their pistol...

once you get settled in on the SG Split Offset and the triple option... come out in the game with the WR screen called... if they load the box throw the screen... if they dont... use quick audible to run... it goes to triple option... that alone can create SOME headaches for a "fair" rated user and CPU... vs better human players... obviously you ave to get more creative... and obviously you can run well out of the split offset and set an audible to the WR screen... which i think is the best WR in the game because you can throw it faster, and harder without the WR shifting around too much... was like that in NCAA 10 as well...

"E"

Rudy
10-20-2010, 03:45 PM
I'll have to try the Miss St. playbook against a scrub opponent. I've used Michigan and am using Oregon's right now. I like the offset Read Option with the HB dive up the middle on it. I'll try Miss. St soon though.

Solidice
10-20-2010, 08:46 PM
It's read option, but it's with the RB flexed in Shotgun (so the RB is a step behind the QB), with this setup, the RB actually runs the read option downhill instead of the to the outside.

I've always loved these shotgun formations(the HB a little further back than the QB). it just seems like the hand-off occurs more naturally to me and I typically can get a better running game out of them compare to "normal" shotgun formations, plus they tend to have inside runs as well.

to add to it, the Shotgun - 4WR Trio and Shotgun - 4WR Trio Str (I think those are the correct ones, they are also in the Mississippi State book as well I believe) also features the HB in a "flex" formation. not sure about the read option out of them though, none of the playbooks I'm currently use have those formations in it.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
10-21-2010, 11:36 AM
agreed ^^

what i dont get... is that Oregon... runs maybe 2-3 formations all year where the RB is in traditional alignment... otherwise he is offset... it helps with the mesh timing for the zone read... also allows an "over the top" handoff that the defense cant see... which provides a NASTY boot off of it...

"E"

JeffHCross
10-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I've always loved these shotgun formations(the HB a little further back than the QB). it just seems like the hand-off occurs more naturally to me and I typically can get a better running game out of them compare to "normal" shotgun formations, plus they tend to have inside runs as well.This right here pretty much summarizes the point of the Pistol too. Namely "more natural" plus the obvious downhill nature.