PDA

View Full Version : read option defense help?

the best
10-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Im having trouble stopping this play and the qb wrap.

only way i know how to stop this play is to come up with my safety and hit the qb but know guys are hitting me with the read option playatcion.

i run a 335 defense know because it helped slow it down.

i used to run the 4-3 and 4-2-5 i had to leave this defenses because it runs wild vs 4 man fronts how can i stop this play with out usering the safety?

ive tried almost every defense

CeeGee
10-23-2012, 08:13 AM
The only way I am able to stop it is to Spy the DE or try to user one of your Linebackers and key on the QB.

PDuncanOSU
10-23-2012, 08:45 AM
I would suggest setting your defensive gameplan to key on the running back, then user control the backside linebacker to try to contain the quarterback. Your DE should take the RB and your Safety should stay back against the pass, leaving you to make a tackle one-on-one vs the QB.

blkkrptnt819
10-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Playing a 3-3-5 seems to be a good start. For some reason 3 man fronts screw the blocking up. It's ridiculous.

JeffHCross
10-24-2012, 08:01 PM
I would suggest setting your defensive gameplan to key on the running backFor my defense, I found it easier to tell my D to key on the QB. I don't know if it was a result of the sliders that we used, but I found that I could reasonably contain the RB, on a Read Option, to around a 3-4 yard gain, even if my defense was in a bad run D or out of position. It was only against the QB that I was getting gashed. So I had my CPU D worry about the bigger threat.

Keontez
01-27-2013, 04:05 PM
Sorry to bring up old threads.

I use the 4-2-5 and I use a couple of plays to stop this 4-2-5 Monster 3 Blitz or any 4-2-5 Zone Blitz. with the Monster 3. I set it up so as the overload pressure is coming to the side the HB is running to, But I also contain the Blitzing DE.

The 4-2-5 Zone blitz works the best for me. I call it so that the FS zone is covering the side of the passing strength and I user the FS to clean up the QB. Its bend but dont break as you never know when their going to call a counter but it works well, for me at least

FanoftheGame101
07-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I was playing the demo against Oregon Thinking about how to defend the option attack that we will likely be seeing in 14. One thing that will hopefully work is the option defense settings. IF it works like it should then we have something to work with.

Against none pistol formations we set option defense to take out QB. Like at the beginning of last year when this setting worked it will eliminate the QB threat and and force the give/ptich. Now as I said against non pistol sets you can guess the track of the running back by alignment. If he is slightly at an angle to the QB he is on a inside zone track. If he directly beside he is outside zone track. So now you send your secondary to those areas and you force a run into the the teeth of your zone/ secondary blitz.

Now I know people will say "Chip Kelly wanted you to think that way so he could run counter and for cutbacks ECT to the backside". I would say that is true but also most people we will play aren't chip Kelly and don't understand the finer points of the offense. Also if the do that's just part of the chess match of football. The spread is hard to stop in real life. In theory with a dual threat QB you can't play with safety or you will be outnumbered in the box. But without a safety try defending 4 WRs. Its tough.

FanoftheGame101
07-03-2013, 12:23 PM
This kind of piggie backs off what I talked about with the rb alignments and the zone read.

In 13 most people used the angled rb for the inside track in the option game.

As I said earlier we can use this guess tendencies about the path of the running back on the zone read plays.

What I've been thinking about was using formation to enhance our defense even further. For example if they are set to inside zone path what if we use say a 3-4 solid defense. Which is kind of a bear alignment in the 3-4. This would in theory clog the running lane of the rb after we force the give from the qb.

Could he cut it back, possibly but that might alter his path give time for the players to rally or just make that much more difficult to run the play.

What are your thoughts.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
07-03-2013, 09:06 PM
if i face any guys that play offense like i do, which is SG Option about 95% of the time, i stay in 3-4 Solid... so yeah it will work... i will run COVER 4 and walk down the safety TO THE SIDE of the RB and be ready for a keep if it happens... this still gives me coverage underneath, and 3 deep vs 4 verts if he pops it in on me... we will have to see how C4 plays in the 14 release and hopefully it wont be destroyed by a patch again like 13 was