PDA

View Full Version : FIFA 13 Retail Impressions

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Christmas in September is here! FIFA 13 has hit the streets of North America!

Use this thread to discuss the new release from EA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 02:12 AM
I managed to get in one match so far. I won, at Stamford Bridge, as Chelsea over West Brom, 5-3.

I played on default World Class using Semi-Assisted controls and 15-minute halves and Slow Game Speed. The Baggies out-shot me, 24-10 and possessed the ball for 52% of the match. They had 14 SOT to my 6. There were 7 fouls and one yellow.

Obviously, I have alot of slider work to do. I shouldn't lose, statistically, to WBA.

That said, I enjoyed the match and am excited to get sliders worked out.

FYI, the presentation is completely different from the demo (overlays and such) which was the same as 12. That was a nice surprise for sure. This game is beautiful!

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
I played another half, with a bunch of slider tweaks, last night. The one thing that is definitely noticeable, slider-wise, is that the Shot Error slider most definitely has an effect.

I got about 3 hours of sleep, it's going to be a long day at work. :(

CLW
09-25-2012, 09:01 AM
Going to pick this badboy up today at a ma pa store near work. Decided to keep my Amazon bucks for something else down the line.

Are we going to setup another PS3 online "league"?

Paakaa10
09-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Haven't been able to pick this up yet, but am very much planning to.

Seen ESPN broadcast presentation in a few videos which looks SO MUCH BETTER than the usual EA SPORTS stuff. See these videos as evidence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjofTfnmjB4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzXoCSjla0

jaymo76
09-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Envious of you guys right now. I hope I can pick this up soon. Does anyone not think this is the game of the year for sports? The additions to career mode are just awesome.

JBHuskers
09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm still getting serious lag on in-game replays. Anyone else?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 08:55 PM
Envious of you guys right now. I hope I can pick this up soon. Does anyone not think this is the game of the year for sports? The additions to career mode are just awesome.

It certainly will get my vote, I'm sure. :nod:

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
I'm still getting serious lag on in-game replays. Anyone else?

I'm not.

steelerfan
09-25-2012, 09:09 PM
For those who think the game plays too fast, play on Slow with Sprint Speed at 38. Feels perfect to me. :up:

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm absolutely loving this title. The difference in the gameplay (particularly First Touch Control) is outstanding and there is a HUGE difference in the CPU AI. The AI, on attack, is much more organized and uses great tact in their passing game. The CPU no longer just pushes the ball straight ahead. They actually employ back passing and it is a big improvement over 12.

psusnoop
09-26-2012, 06:56 AM

It certainly will get my vote, I'm sure. :nod:

From twitter

FIFA 13 demo downloaded 4.6m times, breaks EA Sports records http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/fifa-13-demo-downloaded-4-6m-times/0103491 …

CLW
09-26-2012, 07:15 AM
For those who think the game plays too fast, play on Slow with Sprint Speed at 38. Feels perfect to me. :up:

You going to be posting your sliders soon. I'm actually going to try to play some career mode this year.

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 08:08 AM
You going to be posting your sliders soon. I'm actually going to try to play some career mode this year.

Check the Slider Discussion thread. ;)

JBHuskers
09-26-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm absolutely loving this title. The difference in the gameplay (particularly First Touch Control) is outstanding and there is a HUGE difference in the CPU AI. The AI, on attack, is much more organized and uses great tact in their passing game. The CPU no longer just pushes the ball straight ahead. They actually employ back passing and it is a big improvement over 12.

In regards to AI, there is also more of a sense of urgency when they are down late in the game. They take more chances. I love it.

CLW
09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Check the Slider Discussion thread. ;)

Excellent. Now, the most important ? is when you going to fire back up the TGT Cup? :nod:

JBHuskers
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Excellent. Now, the most important ? is when you going to fire back up the TGT Cup? :nod:

:+1:

CLW
09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
:+1:

I promise to refrain from all jokes re: conspiracy theories trying to stop my ultimate triumphs. :nod:

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 12:25 PM
At this point, I'm not interested in being in a FIFA league. I will have my hands full with sliders and Career Mode.

jaymo76
09-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Os only gave fifa13 an 8.5! What a joke. How is this game and Madden on the same level??? Madden is far below FIFA 13 IMO.

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Os only gave fifa13 an 8.5! What a joke. How is this game and Madden on the same level??? Madden is far blow FIFA 13 IMO.

8.5?? Out of what? 8? :fp:

JBHuskers
09-26-2012, 07:33 PM
8.5?? Out of what? 8? :fp:

:+1: :fp:

jaymo76
09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/681/fifa-soccer-13/

steelerfan
09-26-2012, 09:09 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/reviews/681/fifa-soccer-13/

I guess, after reading that, the score is based on OS's own rating system.

That said I think that the review is pretty solid. For me, the in-the-box defending is not as bad as he makes it out and it certainly doesn't derail the game in any way. He does forget the mentioning of the second commentary crew and he is wrong about why Player-Manager Mode was removed.

steelerfan
09-27-2012, 11:32 PM
I named all of the generic stadiums in the EPL, played a couple half matches, started (without playing a match) my Manager Career (with Houston), and got in 3 Online Friendlies with JB, tonight.

JBHuskers
09-27-2012, 11:33 PM
I named all of the generic stadiums in the EPL, played a couple half matches, started (without playing a match) my Manager Career (with Houston), and got in 3 Online Friendlies with JB, tonight.

2 of the 3 were very competitive. Did I lose 3-1 on all matches? :D

steelerfan
09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
2 of the 3 were very competitive. Did I lose 3-1 on all matches? :D

No, the first was 3-2. :)

JBHuskers
09-27-2012, 11:41 PM
No, the first was 3-2. :)

Oh yeah that penalty kick.

steelerfan
09-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Oh yeah that penalty kick.

Yeah, snoop told me you like to put it right down the middle. Maybe he meant something else. :dunno:

JBHuskers
09-28-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah, snoop told me you like to put it right down the middle. Maybe he meant something else. :dunno:

:o

CLW
09-28-2012, 10:50 AM
LMAO I don't even know how to make the keeper dive/save a PK. :fp:

JBHuskers
09-28-2012, 10:51 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFk2_5RkwlA

JBHuskers
09-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Joystiq gives FIFA 13 a perfect 5 out of 5... (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/28/fifa-soccer-13-review/)

JBHuskers
09-28-2012, 12:30 PM
EA: FIFA 13 scores 353K in North America on day one (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/27/ea-fifa-13-scores-353k-in-north-america-on-day-one/)

NBA Live 13 may be lost, but EA's got one win on its hands at least, as FIFA 13 has sold at record numbers already. The popular soccer sim has sold through 353,000 copies on Xbox 360 and the PS3 in just one day, according to EA, giving those sales an increase of 42 percent over last year's iteration. The iOS version has also done well, with the best launch day sales of the game on that platform in history.

FIFA 12 sold 3.2 million copies in its first week last year, and went on to sell over 10 million total. Presumably, FIFA 13 is on track to do even better than that this year. It arrived in North America this past Tuesday, and will release on Friday around the rest of the world.

steelerfan
09-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Fucking amazing numbers. I understand the customer base is enormous, but the real reason for the numbers is the quality of the game. I can't wait to see what today's European release brought in.

JBHuskers
09-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Fucking amazing numbers. I understand the customer base is enormous, but the real reason for the numbers is the quality of the game. I can't wait to see what today's European release brought in.

:nod:

jaymo76
09-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Exactly! The quality is outstanding. NCAA and madden need to get back to this level.

SmoothPancakes
09-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Just got home from picking up FIFA. Get it installed, maybe get an hour and a half in before I gotta head back into work for a couple hours. After that, it won't be until tomorrow afternoon before I'll get to play again. As soon as I get home from work at 4:30, I am heading straight to sleep. I've been awake since 5:30pm last night and working all night and all morning up to 10am, and I've got to get up around 7-7:30 tomorrow morning to go back into work from 8:30 to noon, so won't get to dive too deeply into the game until tomorrow afternoon or evening.

jaymo76
09-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Just got home from picking up FIFA. Get it installed, maybe get an hour and a half in before I gotta head back into work for a couple hours. After that, it won't be until tomorrow afternoon before I'll get to play again. As soon as I get home from work at 4:30, I am heading straight to sleep. I've been awake since 5:30pm last night and working all night and all morning up to 10am, and I've got to get up around 7-7:30 tomorrow morning to go back into work from 8:30 to noon, so won't get to dive too deeply into the game until tomorrow afternoon or evening.

Looking forward to your impressions Smooth. It really is a great game. I am hoping to be able to pick up the full retail copy in the next few weeks. However, like yourself I am far too busy right now. I hope to get the game by the 15th of October as my schedule clears up a little by then.

jaymo76
09-29-2012, 12:06 PM

The pre game practise field drills from FIFA 12 really helped me in the basics of this game. After several months I finally figured out how to take and stop a penalty kick. Men don't need instructions...:fp::D

SmoothPancakes
09-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Looking forward to your impressions Smooth. It really is a great game. I am hoping to be able to pick up the full retail copy in the next few weeks. However, like yourself I am far too busy right now. I hope to get the game by the 15th of October as my schedule clears up a little by then.

Yeah, I'm gonna need to practice. Right now my settings are on Semi-Pro, with assistance, and I did some random slider movement, mainly in my favor. I got one match in before I had to come to work, playing as Real Madrid against some suck-ass Austrian team.

First time playing a full FIFA game since last time I played FIFA 10, probably back in early or mid 2011, and boy did it show. While I ultimately won 8-1, playing on 10 minute halves, pretty much all of my goals came on counterattacks. If I didn't get a counterattack, I couldn't do shit as far as getting the ball anywhere near the goal.

The final stats, I had something like 14 shots, 12 shots on target. They had 6 shots, 4 shots on target. We both had 16 tackles each, they won the possession battle, 51%-49%. We both had two corners, and while they had no cards, I ended the match with 3 yellows thanks in part to my poor tackle attempts as I got reaccustomed to playing FIFA again.

The final stats looking like that, considering I was playing as Real Madrid, with team ratings in the high 80s, against some 5th rate Austrian team with team ratings of something like 60-57-57, WITH the sliders turned up and tuned in MY favor, this is gonna take a while to get my skills up to par in this game. :D :fp:

It's a really fun game and I can guarantee I am going to end up playing the hell out of it. Just gotta get better so I can actually compete in career when playing with crappy teams. :D

steelerfan
10-01-2012, 12:04 AM
Just as a general update, I am 15 matches into my Houston Dynamo career. I have posted a 5-3-7 mark thus far and am in 7th in the East. Considering I started 1-1-5, that's not too bad.

Oh, I've been hit for 13 Yellow Cards and 1 Red in those matches. While I'd love more, this is a huge improvement over FIFA 12. I've already had Ricardo Clark serve a 1-match ban for the Red he got and Brad Davis has 4 Yellows so a suspension could be heading his way at some point too.

SmoothPancakes
10-01-2012, 03:32 PM
I think it's safe to say they've got a very strict ref in this QPR-West Ham match. 70 minutes in, 6 yellow cards so far. :D Now if we were seeing numbers like that in FIFA 13.

Edit - Upon further review, it's actually 8 yellow cards so far (9 if you count the first yellow for QPR's player sent off), 7 for West Ham alone and now a red against one of the QPR players for second yellow.

JBHuskers
10-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Hell I got two reds in my Capital One Cup match :D first match after friendlies. I paid for it as I lost 3-2 in my nPower Champions League.

Currently 1-0-2 in the nPower Champ, my last game though was a 6-3 match, so I've tightened up the kick accuracy and goalie ability to hopefully fix that. The previous two matches were 3-2 & 3-2, while the friendlies and the Capital One Cup match were low scoring.

The funny thing about being two men down with red cards in that Capital One Cup game, I won 1-0 :D and the goal was scored AFTER the two reds were handed down.

SmoothPancakes
10-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I'm off to a horrible start with the Colorado Rapids, only like 2 wins, 2 draws and a bunch of losses. I'll have to look up the exact record when I get on in a bit.

I went the :sf: route, starting in the MLS and making my way to Europe after a season or two. I want to get some time in with the local league/squads before making my way across the pond, especially since once I get to Europe, I'm not gonna "downgrade" my managerial career to return to the MLS from all the fun over across the Atlantic.

SmoothPancakes
10-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Full time, the final count, 8 yellows for West Ham, 1 yellow and 1 yellow-red for QPR. 22 fouls for West Ham, 10 for QPR.

So, when can we expect to see today's referee get added to the game? Any way to patch him into '13, or will we have to wait until '14? :D

SmoothPancakes
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I'm off to a horrible start with the Colorado Rapids, only like 2 wins, 2 draws and a bunch of losses. I'll have to look up the exact record when I get on in a bit.

I went the :sf: route, starting in the MLS and making my way to Europe after a season or two. I want to get some time in with the local league/squads before making my way across the pond, especially since once I get to Europe, I'm not gonna "downgrade" my managerial career to return to the MLS from all the fun over across the Atlantic.

Okay, actually not as bad as I thought. 9 matches played, I'm 2-4-3 at Colorado, sitting in 6th place in the Western Conference with 10 points. It's gonna be an uphill battle though, and I think first place is outright eliminated from possibility for me. Real Salt Lake has first place right now, sitting at 9-1-0 through 10 matches and 28 points. I don't think that's a comeback I'm gonna be able to pull off, not with this Rapids squad.

JBHuskers
10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I went the :sf: route, starting in the MLS

Please clarify. You went the :sf: route as in matching what Steelerfan did in FIFA 13, or you went the :sf: route by getting completely shitfaced?

steelerfan
10-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Please clarify. You went the :sf: route as in matching what Steelerfan did in FIFA 13, or you went the :sf: route by getting completely shitfaced?

Or, he actually did what I did - both.

Prior to my weekend of FIFA, I spent 9 hours between 2 bars on Friday and had to be driven home. God damn I was fucked up. I barely remember the last couple of hours. Fucking Rumple Minze. :smh:

steelerfan
10-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Got two online matches in with snoop tonight. I won the first, 4-3 on Slow with 10 minute halves and Semi controls. In the second match, I won 1-0. We played that one Slow, 15, Manual controls. Manual controls is brutal, but otherwise there is too much scoring (unless you want MDCR-minute halves, which is no fun).

SmoothPancakes
10-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Starting to come together a bit. Just won a VERY hard fought game against FC Dallas, winning 1-0 thanks to an own goal in the 40th minute. I needed that win as I'm battling with the Whitecaps and Dallas for 5th place in the West.

psusnoop
10-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Got two online matches in with snoop tonight. I won the first, 4-3 on Slow with 10 minute halves and Semi controls. In the second match, I won 1-0. We played that one Slow, 15, Manual controls. Manual controls is brutal, but otherwise there is too much scoring (unless you want MDCR-minute halves, which is no fun).

Two very fun games last night, the second on manual was really interesting.

The touch needed for even the simple passes made the first half really interesting as a few times we both passed to places that left us shaking our heads lol. The second half though things started to feel better and :sf: started to really put some good pressure on low on me and made work really hard at trying to keep him from breaking the game wide open.

I think we both had really good looks a couple of times though only 1 went into the net. Lol

I'd say for me, if I was playing online in a competitive format, manual would be my vote! Otherwise your going to have a shootout big time.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
So if I apply for a job, and I get picked, I assume I have to sign off on the deal and sign the contract before I would actually switch teams, correct? I just want to make sure I won't automatically end up switching teams after simply applying for a job and being chosen by the team.

While I'm enjoying my time as manager at Colorado, I am currently very tempted to apply for the job at Sporting KC, seeing as they had a financial takeover earlier in the season and currently have a transfer budget of $122,000,000, and are listed in the browse jobs section. Oh the things I could do with $122 million. :D While I have, currently, $3,252,571 in my transfer budget with the Rapids, it pales in the amount of wheeling and dealing and roster building I could only dream of doing with $122 million.

I've been managing fairly good here at Colorado. I was able to somehow manage to buy Xisco from Newcastle United for $3.8 million with one of my middle of the pack players thrown in to up the pot and get them to accept the deal, then turned around and shipped Martin Rivero off to Newcastle Untied for $6.5 million (while one of my top rated players at 73 overall, he was constantly getting injured and causing havoc in my starting XI, so for that money, and Xisco joining the squad, it was worth the chance and risk). I actually had 5 different teams, all offering $6 million or more that I agreed to let negotiate with Rivero, Newcastle United won, so I ended up indirectly swapping players with them. I could have had $7.25 million from Sevilla, but that jackass Rivero rejected their offer, costing me three quarters of a million dollars in transfer fee gains.

I actually have ended up on the good side of that swap since that day, as Xisco has been a beast for me so far, while there was a story in Breaking News talking about how Rivero's controversial transfer has been under scrutiny due to an average run of form and asking how long the manager will have to wait for him to live up to his $6.5 million transfer.

steelerfan
10-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I would assume you're right, Smooth. I'm sure you can check, then turn your system off if it makes you do something you don't want to do.

Are you simming matches? With the first transfer window not open until midseason in MLS, I had to play 16 matches before the Summer window opened. Just wondering how you're gotten so far, so quickly.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2012, 08:50 PM
I would assume you're right, Smooth. I'm sure you can check, then turn your system off if it makes you do something you don't want to do.

Are you simming matches? With the first transfer window not open until midseason in MLS, I had to play 16 matches before the Summer window opened. Just wondering how you're gotten so far, so quickly.

I've just been playing the hell out of this game. I'm only playing around 8-10 minute matches, haven't made the jump up to 15 yet, and I'm putting in a good number of hours a night during my down days of the week. I'm busy as hell with work Thursday through Saturday, but the rest of the week is quiet as hell, leading to a lot of free time, especially in the evenings and overnight hours to play. I'm pretty much playing a match, advancing to the next one, playing the match, etc. Just jumping from match to match, playing as many as I can get in during the night each night.

steelerfan
10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Gotcha, man. That is cool. This is such a great franchise. I'm glad to see you back on board with it. I really wish more guys here would open their eyes to what they're missing out on.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Gotcha, man. That is cool. This is such a great franchise. I'm glad to see you back on board with it. I really wish more guys here would open their eyes to what they're missing out on.

Yeah, I enjoyed FIFA 10 while I played it, but there was just something with it that couldn't really hold my attention. It was just sort of dull and boring at times, especially in the MLS. But FIFA 13, I'm loving. I can't stop playing this game. Even playing my first season as manager in the MLS, I'm having a ton of fun this time around with 13. I've been having so much fun, that I'm debating on if I even want to jump ship for Europe after this first season like I've been planning for months now, or stick with MLS for a second season, either staying with Colorado or going to Sporting KC.

And I found out the answer to my previous question. If you apply for a job, you'll get an email a couple days later (it was 2 or 3 days for me, not sure exactly which number) thanking you for your interest in their job opening. I don't know if a club will turn you down if you apply for a job, but Sporting KC liked me enough to offer me the position, with the standard contract and standard options of Stall, Accept or Decline. I'm stalling right now while I try to decide if I want to stay at Colorado or move to that mega-budget heaven at KC.

And I agree, we need to find a way to get more people interested in this game. It is such a great game, and one of the premiere games. There may be some minor issues here and there, that luckily I'm blind to any issues this game has right now because I haven't really read about it anywhere online other than here and it's my first FIFA game since FIFA 10, so it plays beautifully in my opinion, but I know it has always been regarded as one of the best playing sports games for years, it and NHL seemingly fighting for Sports Game of the Year honors every year. I'm trying to get two or three of my friends to consider giving it a chance and buying or renting it, try to get more people trying it out and playing it, because FIFA really is a true gem that goes unnoticed by many here in the US.

SmoothPancakes
10-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Oops. It turns out there are very small time limits on those contract offers. Advancing 4 days to my next match after stalling on the contract offer from KC, there was a story about of the talks collapsing and the offer being rescinded because I took too long to decide on the offer and that Sporting KC wanted a manager with more enthusiasm for the job. :D

JBHuskers
10-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Shit or get off the pot :D

JBHuskers
10-02-2012, 11:22 PM
Looks like there is a mass problem with Ultimate Team and people staying connected. Hope that gets fixed soon.

JBHuskers
10-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Pasta just posted on Facebook that FIFA 13 is the fastest selling sports game of all-time (beating out FIFA 12). Sold 4.5 million in first five days worldwide.

steelerfan
10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Pasta just posted on Facebook that FIFA 13 is the fastest selling sports game of all-time (beating out FIFA 12). Sold 4.5 million in first five days worldwide.

Wow!

jaymo76
10-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Oops. It turns out there are very small time limits on those contract offers. Advancing 4 days to my next match after stalling on the contract offer from KC, there was a story about of the talks collapsing and the offer being rescinded because I took too long to decide on the offer and that Sporting KC wanted a manager with more enthusiasm for the job. :D

Contract negotiations are so well done in the FIFA series.

SmoothPancakes
10-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Contract negotiations are so well done in the FIFA series.

Agreed completely. Manager contracts, transfer contracts, etc, the negotiations are great. They really nailed it in FIFA.

steelerfan
10-07-2012, 12:21 AM
I made my first 2 transfers. I bought Eddie Johnson from Seattle for $1.5M and sold an unhappy Colin Clark to Colorado for $325k. $190k of that went into my transfer budget (I'm using the highest budget difficulty).

steelerfan
10-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Buying Eddie Johnson pissed off Will Bruin, so I sold Bruin for $2.25M. I have brought in RW Mitchell Weiser on loan from Bayern Munich and have a transfer offer out to San Jose for a US-born LB.

JBHuskers
10-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Put in the game around 5:30 or 6:00 last night, ended up playing all night :D

I made it to the third round of the Capital One Cup before being handfed to Arsenal, a 2-0 loss.

Up to around 10+ games into the nPower Champions League, and am currently mid-table (12th) after nabbing a couple of wins and a couple of ties. The highlight was an upset of then league leader Bolton (who has since dropped to 7th) with a 1-0 victory. The lowlight was my starting goalie getting a red card in the 90' of a match, but thankfully the next match was against the bottom dweller of the league.

steelerfan
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm playing at Anfield, against the Reds, using Chelsea. I can confirm that Anfield now has red goal nets, which is a cool little touch for the Scouse bastards. ;)

But what I thought was really cool was that the Scousers booed whenever Fernando Torres touched the ball. If you're unfamiliar, Torres was bought by the Blues (from Liverpool) a couple of years ago and has struggled to regain the form he showed at Anfield since moving to Stamford Bridge.

steelerfan
10-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I made that deal afterall, for a LB, bringing Justin Morrow from San Jose to Houston at the deadline.

steelerfan
10-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Now that I'm in mid-September, I noticed that a couple of jobs have opened up in Denmark for clubs that are off to horrible starts (one was 1-1-7). The Seattle job has been available for some time now, but I have no interest in taking another MLS job.

If my only option were staying in MLS, I'd stay at Houston. I plan on finishing out my season with Houston and it will be interesting to see what is available when I do (not to mention how soon I am expected to start).

JBHuskers
10-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Do jobs open up mid season?

steelerfan
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Do jobs open up mid season?

There are 3 jobs, currently, that I can apply for. Seattle, and the two in Denmark.

steelerfan
10-10-2012, 10:21 PM
My keeper, Tally Hall, just tore his LCL in training. With 3 matches (and hopefully playoffs) remaining, he's down for 3 months.

So, rather than Hall (69 OVR), I'll have to go with Tyler Deric (59 OVR) who will be backed by Erich Marscheider (55 OVR) for the stretch run. :smh:

steelerfan
10-15-2012, 12:31 PM
With Hall out, I finished the remaining 3 matches going 1-1-1. I missed the playoffs by one point and, when the season ended, I began applying for job openings. After getting turned down for several of them, I finally was offered and accepted the job at Port Vale. Port Vale is in nPower League 2 (the fourth division of English Football). I'm taking over a club that is mid-table 21 matches in, with the goal to fight for promotion. It should be interesting to see what I can do in a partial season to try and steer this club back on course.

JBHuskers
10-15-2012, 12:48 PM
With Hall out, I finished the remaining 3 matches going 1-1-1. I missed the playoffs by one point and, when the season ended, I began applying for job openings. After getting turned down for several of them, I finally was offered and accepted the job at Port Vale. Port Vale is in nPower League 2 (the fourth division of English Football). I'm taking over a club that is mid-table 21 matches in, with the goal to fight for promotion. It should be interesting to see what I can do in a partial season to try and steer this club back on course.

Nice. Should make for a good story.

steelerfan
10-15-2012, 07:13 PM
Nice. Should make for a good story.

Yeah, Port Vale is currently in tenth place in npower League 2 with a record of 7-8-6. They've already been eliminated from the Capital One Cup and from the Football League Trophy (an 48-club knockout tournament featuring all of the clubs in npower Leagues 1&2, the winner of which is awarded the Johnstone's Paint Trophy). They are still alive, in Round 2, in the FA Cup.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 03:49 PM
I've been reading reviews on Fifa 13, a lot of places say it's not that much of a difference from Fifa 12 to Fifa 13. Can anyone comment on that? I have Fifa 12 and love it, I read on here about Fifa 13 and it sounds great but just wanting to know if there's really a difference between the two?

Thanks.

JBHuskers
10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I've been reading reviews on Fifa 13, a lot of places say it's not that much of a difference from Fifa 12 to Fifa 13. Can anyone comment on that? I have Fifa 12 and love it, I read on here about Fifa 13 and it sounds great but just wanting to know if there's really a difference between the two?

Thanks.

:sf: can explain it better than I can, but there is a difference.

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 07:04 PM
The biggest difference in the actual gameplay is First Touch Control. It adds a layer of "randomness" to the game that was missing in the past.

I don't know what game modes you play, Gus, but they've all been improved quite a bit, including Career Mode - which has the huge addition of international management, among it's many improvements.

Anyone who says it's the same as 12 is either oblivious to the changes, a chronic complainer, or simply wants to stir things up. The game is a huge improvement, in my opinion, over 12. And, from someone who literally played more than 500 matches on 12 from release day to release day, that is saying alot.

If you are a casual FIFA guy, you may be happy to stick with 12, but for me 13 is a must.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 07:18 PM
The biggest difference in the actual gameplay is First Touch Control. It adds a layer of "randomness" to the game that was missing in the past.

I don't know what game modes you play, Gus, but they've all been improved quite a bit, including Career Mode - which has the huge addition of international management, among it's many improvements.

Anyone who says it's the same as 12 is either oblivious to the changes, a chronic complainer, or simply wants to stir things up. The game is a huge improvement, in my opinion, over 12. And, from someone who literally played more than 500 matches on 12 from release day to release day, that is saying alot.

If you are a casual FIFA guy, you may be happy to stick with 12, but for me 13 is a must.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

Thank you sir. I traded in an older version of Madden and Fifa 12 towards Fifa 13.

What sold it for me was your earlier review where you said you didn't think you'd have time right then for an online league as you would be too busy with the offline content. I'm all for a good online match but I enjoy the offline career mode, dynasty sort of stuff too.

Similar to NCAA it's hard to get a good core group of people together to keep playing, I know there are some good groups but to keep playing daily or at my own pace I enjoy the offline content probably more than online stuff. Like TW I'm playing the weekly tournaments in the CC but playing the heck of it offline.

So thanks for the review, after my kids get to bed I'm going to fire up Fifa 13. :up:

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Thank you sir. I traded in an older version of Madden and Fifa 12 towards Fifa 13.

What sold it for me was your earlier review where you said you didn't think you'd have time right then for an online league as you would be too busy with the offline content. I'm all for a good online match but I enjoy the offline career mode, dynasty sort of stuff too.

Similar to NCAA it's hard to get a good core group of people together to keep playing, I know there are some good groups but to keep playing daily or at my own pace I enjoy the offline content probably more than online stuff. Like TW I'm playing the weekly tournaments in the CC but playing the heck of it offline.

So thanks for the review, after my kids get to bed I'm going to fire up Fifa 13. :up:

Excellent choice man! The last FIFA game I had bought and played was FIFA 10, but I bought this thing within the first week this year. I have already put a full season of career mode into it, and am in the first week of April of my second season as manager. I'm loving this game, and I'm still only in the MLS, which has shit for competitions, just league play and the US Cup. Get over to Europe, and there are so many competitions to make your head explode. I'm planning on either jumping to Europe in the middle of my second MLS season, or trying to find a job across the pond after the season concludes.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Excellent choice man! The last FIFA game I had bought and played was FIFA 10, but I bought this thing within the first week this year. I have already put a full season of career mode into it, and am in the first week of April of my second season as manager. I'm loving this game, and I'm still only in the MLS, which has shit for competitions, just league play and the US Cup. Get over to Europe, and there are so many competitions to make your head explode. I'm planning on either jumping to Europe in the middle of my second MLS season, or trying to find a job across the pond after the season concludes.

Sounds good, I didn't know if I should go the MLS route like you are doing or start with someone like York City which is a 1/2 star team in npower league 2. I figure they are the bottom of the barrel and I could attempt to work my way up to the EPL.

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Sweet. My third game of the new season in MLS, I'm facing Houston. I bought Will Bruin from Houston during the off-season transfer period. The match preview for my game at Houston talks about Bruin returning to face his former club, with the quotes "I hope the Houston Dynamo fans don't give me too much stick. They were great to me when I was there..." and it continues on for another sentence or two. There was a story in my first game about Bruin making his debut with the Rapids. Having all the background details mentioned and talked about, a player making his club debut, a player facing his former team for the first time after transferring, etc, I love this stuff when it's fleshed out properly like this.

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Sounds good, I didn't know if I should go the MLS route like you are doing or start with someone like York City which is a 1/2 star team in npower league 2. I figure they are the bottom of the barrel and I could attempt to work my way up to the EPL.

MLS has been working pretty well for me. It's much improved since FIFA 10, so I've been enjoying it, even being bare bones. I was going to jump ship for Europe after my first season, but when I completely season play and was ready to leave, there weren't any jobs I ever cared for. They were all pretty bad jobs. I at least want to make the jump to someplace somewhat decent if I'm going to leave Colorado, after all the work I've done in building up the Rapids from their pathetic state at the beginning of my first season.

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Jesus. Yesterday and today were my first times playing FIFA in a week or so. Apparently I changed my sliders at some point last week, because things are all over the place. I just sweated out a 1-0 win at Houston, getting a deflection of a shot off of a Dynamo defender, deflecting the shot just past the reach of the goalie and just inside the left post in the 40th minute.

The post match report cracked me up. "The recent match between Colorado Rapids and Houston Dynamo was a special one for Will Bruin. Playing against your old team is always special but not always for the right reasons. Bruin was booed constantly when on the ball and even had projectiles thrown at him from the crowd. Police claim to have caught most of the perpetrators through CCTV footage but are appealing to any witnesses to come forward."

:D You'd never see stuff like that in NCAA, or probably Madden.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 08:09 PM
After seeing the story about "Start" I'd like to create a team name them FC Start and build them up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/sports/soccer/a-soccer-match-in-ukraine-during-world-war-ii-echoes-through-time.html?pagewanted=all

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Well played my first match, I used steerler's sliders and game settings. Played York City (me) vs Bradford City (CPU) and had my butt handed to me 0-5.

The CPU was killing me on lobbed thru balls over the top of my last defenders, they had 33 shots, 11 on goal. I had 6 shots and 2 on goal.

MUCH more practice needed LOL

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 09:18 PM
1st ?, in Fifa 12 I could go to the practice arena and push down on the D-pad to place the ball anywhere on the pitch to practice free kicks. How can I do this on Fifa 13?

Thanks.

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 09:52 PM
1st ?, in Fifa 12 I could go to the practice arena and push down on the D-pad to place the ball anywhere on the pitch to practice free kicks. How can I do this on Fifa 13?

Thanks.

That's a good question. I've done a couple things in arena, but I haven't done enough to know exactly what all I can do in arena and how to do it.

Meanwhile, I have been pulling wins out of my ass. After starting off the MLS season with wins of 3-0 against Toronto, 5-1 at Philadelphia (was losing 1-0 at half, their goalie got injured, their backup sucked ass), and 2-0 against New England, I have pulled four straight 1-0 wins out of my ass at Houston, against Seattle, against Dallas, and at San Jose.

And motherfucker. First Sporting KC got bankrolled with $100 million from a new owner last season, now Houston is getting a bunch of new moolah from a Far East investor. BRING THAT MONEY TO COLORADO YOU BOOBS!

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
After seeing the story about "Start" I'd like to create a team name them FC Start and build them up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/24/sports/soccer/a-soccer-match-in-ukraine-during-world-war-ii-echoes-through-time.html?pagewanted=all

As someone who is a full 50% Ukrainian, I can appreciate that.

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 10:28 PM

Thanks.

Not sure, man. I haven't messed around in the arena at all this go 'round.

Good decision picking up 13, Gus. I know you enjoyed 12 and you you follow the sport a bit. Therefore, I know you'll enjoy the heck out of 13.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
That's a good question. I've done a couple things in arena, but I haven't done enough to know exactly what all I can do in arena and how to do it.

Meanwhile, I have been pulling wins out of my ass. After starting off the MLS season with wins of 3-0 against Toronto, 5-1 at Philadelphia (was losing 1-0 at half, their goalie got injured, their backup sucked ass), and 2-0 against New England, I have pulled four straight 1-0 wins out of my ass at Houston, against Seattle, against Dallas, and at San Jose.

And motherfucker. First Sporting KC got bankrolled with $100 million from a new owner last season, now Houston is getting a bunch of new moolah from a Far East investor. BRING THAT MONEY TO COLORADO YOU BOOBS!

Are you using Steelerfan's sliders/settings?

I know I'm not pro like he is or you are and thinking I can play with a 1/2 star team is probably COMPLETELY INSANE....I did alright passing the ball, did ok on time of possession, the problem was the lack of brains and EFFORT for my team. I know not to chase the ball, to press the other team and wait for them to make a mistake, the problem is when they would make a mistake, i.e. bad pass my defenders would be standing around watching butterflies, I'd switch to them and go after the loose ball but the CPU players would be quicker on the draw and get it back.

Maybe I need to try a better skill level team before I become 100% masochistic....I'm like the Australian teams too, I guess I alway cheer for the underdog and Australia seems to have a hard time in the World Cup so I enjoy using their A-League teams.

The first thing I noticed among many that is really cool on Fifa 13 vs 12 is the injury reports from the guy down on the sidelines, I think that is a COOL touch. I also like when the ball hits the ref the announcers will jokingly comment that he has a "nice first touch".

Again, more practice is needed, I've been playing NCAA and TW for the last few months, haven't touched Fifa 12 in a while.

SmoothPancakes
10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Are you using Steelerfan's sliders/settings?

I know I'm not pro like he is or you are and thinking I can play with a 1/2 star team is probably COMPLETELY INSANE....I did alright passing the ball, did ok on time of possession, the problem was the lack of brains and EFFORT for my team. I know not to chase the ball, to press the other team and wait for them to make a mistake, the problem is when they would make a mistake, i.e. bad pass my defenders would be standing around watching butterflies, I'd switch to them and go after the loose ball but the CPU players would be quicker on the draw and get it back.

Maybe I need to try a better skill level team before I become 100% masochistic....I'm like the Australian teams too, I guess I alway cheer for the underdog and Australia seems to have a hard time in the World Cup so I enjoy using their A-League teams.

The first thing I noticed among many that is really cool on Fifa 13 vs 12 is the injury reports from the guy down on the sidelines, I think that is a COOL touch. I also like when the ball hits the ref the announcers will jokingly comment that he has a "nice first touch".

Again, more practice is needed, I've been playing NCAA and TW for the last few months, haven't touched Fifa 12 in a while.

I'm using a variation of Steeler's sliders, with things changed to my skill level to make me more competitive instead of losing 5-0 every match.

What difficulty level are you on? I would consider switching down to Semi-Pro for a bit to get a better handle on things and then when you start performing at a high level, bump it up to Pro. That's what I did and being able to play some matches on Semi-Pro helped me coming flying up to speed in a hurry on controls, methods, tricks to do with my players, situationals, etc. Another thing would be to toy around with your sliders. Trying to go exactly what Steeler has probably truly is masochistic, so you can also try toying around with the sliders to make it more leveled out to your own personal skills and skill level.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm using a variation of Steeler's sliders, with things changed to my skill level to make me more competitive instead of losing 5-0 every match.

What difficulty level are you on? I would consider switching down to Semi-Pro for a bit to get a better handle on things and then when you start performing at a high level, bump it up to Pro. That's what I did and being able to play some matches on Semi-Pro helped me coming flying up to speed in a hurry on controls, methods, tricks to do with my players, situationals, etc. Another thing would be to toy around with your sliders. Trying to go exactly what Steeler has probably truly is masochistic, so you can also try toying around with the sliders to make it more leveled out to your own personal skills and skill level.

Right on! Currently I have it set up like Steelerfan, so World Class is the difficulty setting, I'm also using his sliders, everything set as he has it on the sliders page, 15 min halves included.

I'll mess around w/ the sliders and difficulty settings, I'm sure a lot of it is just going to take time.

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Gus, if you'll read through some of my slider posts, you'll get a good idea of what kind of numbers you're looking for.

If you post stats for 5 matches, or so, I can try to take a look at the numbers and give you some suggestions on what to change for your skill level, like I did d with that guy from Poland.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Gus, if you'll read through some of my slider posts, you'll get a good idea of what kind of numbers you're looking for.

If you post stats for 5 matches, or so, I can try to take a look at the numbers and give you some suggestions on what to change for your skill level, like I did d with that guy from Poland.

Ok, thank you. Is there a way to go back and look at my last game to see the stats once I've turned the PS3 off and back on? Just fired it up and PSN had me do a system update so I'm sitting here now at the main Fifa 13 screen.

Thanks again,
Gus

steelerfan
10-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Ok, thank you. Is there a way to go back and look at my last game to see the stats once I've turned the PS3 off and back on? Just fired it up and PSN had me do a system update so I'm sitting here now at the main Fifa 13 screen.

Thanks again,
Gus

No, but just grab the next few matches' worth. :up:

Post them in the slider thread.

gigemaggs99
10-23-2012, 11:42 PM
No, but just grab the next few matches' worth. :up:

Post them in the slider thread.

Will do, thank you sir.

I'm on the practice field now, trying to brush up on the dribbling and trick moves, I tell you what, if I tried to do some of these in real life I'd brake my own ankle stepping on the ball, some of this step over stuff and flicks look pretty sweet!

steelerfan
10-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Will do, thank you sir.

I'm on the practice field now, trying to brush up on the dribbling and trick moves, I tell you what, if I tried to do some of these in real life I'd brake my own ankle stepping on the ball, some of this step over stuff and flicks look pretty sweet!

No worries.

SmoothPancakes
10-24-2012, 12:32 AM
After a full season and one month of MLS matches in career mode, I finally just scored my first ever goal off a corner. Got a perfect kick just to the left side of the goalkeeper, and my striker got a perfect jump (and a bit of a push on the defender in front of him) to score the sick header into the corner of the net. Goalkeeper never had a chance to defend it.

steelerfan
10-24-2012, 02:23 AM
In the January window I purchased LB Mossa (62) for 80k, and arranged loans for CM Leonardo Capezzi (63) and CM Christian Norgaard (66).

These adds should bolster my stretch run as I go for a top 7 finish so that I can compete for promotion. I'm currently 12th, 8 points behind number 7 which is the last spot that plays in the promotion playoff.

gigemaggs99
10-24-2012, 08:37 AM
After a full season and one month of MLS matches in career mode, I finally just scored my first ever goal off a corner. Got a perfect kick just to the left side of the goalkeeper, and my striker got a perfect jump (and a bit of a push on the defender in front of him) to score the sick header into the corner of the net. Goalkeeper never had a chance to defend it.

Congrats! I'm still searching for the first goal. :blush:

gigemaggs99
10-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Does anyone else have a problem with Fifa 13 loosing connection to the EA servers? So far each match I've played it has lost the connection both times at half time.

Then while doing the skill challenges it lost it again.

:dunno:

gigemaggs99
10-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Ok, anyone had this problem?

I'm playing my career mode 1st game York City vs Cam it's 2-2 in the 73rd min and the game just completely freezes. Entire PS3 is locked up... :dunno:

steelerfan
10-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Ok, anyone had this problem?

I'm playing my career mode 1st game York City vs Cam it's 2-2 in the 73rd min and the game just completely freezes. Entire PS3 is locked up... :dunno:

Never. There were some issues last year with using Creation Center and freezing. Are you using downloaded clubs?

gigemaggs99
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Never. There were some issues last year with using Creation Center and freezing. Are you using downloaded clubs?

I'm not sure if I'm using downloaded clubs. I started a career and picked "play as pro". I'm using York City and selected Jason Walker as my player, then it asked me if I wanted to download the current rosters, I said yes and started playing.

Not sure if this answers the question... :confused:

steelerfan
10-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure if I'm using downloaded clubs. I started a career and picked "play as pro". I'm using York City and selected Jason Walker as my player, then it asked me if I wanted to download the current rosters, I said yes and started playing.

Not sure if this answers the question... :confused:

From what you said, you're not. Creation Center is like Teambuilder in NCAA. People create clubs and you download them from the net.

steelerfan
10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
I've reached 8th place in League 2 with under ten matches remaining in the season. I'm 3 points out of a promotion playoff spot (4-7) which would achieve my goal and, hopefully, get me a better job for next year.

steelerfan
10-31-2012, 11:16 PM
I finally pulled into 7th place in npower League 2. This is crucial because, with just a few matches remaining, 4th through 7th place will enter the promotion playoff at season's end. Clubs 1-3 are automatically promoted and are joined by the playoff winner. My contract goal is to fight for promotion so it's vital that I finish no worse than 7th.

jaymo76
11-10-2012, 12:10 PM
Steeler have you been offered an int'l coach position yet?

steelerfan
11-10-2012, 12:26 PM
Steeler have you been offered an int'l coach position yet?

No, but I am still in League 2 and I failed to meet my goals in Houston. I shouldn't expect to get any offer yet. I'm going to need to gain promotion this year at Port Vale to start boosting me resume.

jaymo76
11-10-2012, 12:59 PM
No, but I am still in League 2 and I failed to meet my goals in Houston. I shouldn't expect to get any offer yet. I'm going to need to gain promotion this year at Port Vale to start boosting me resume.

I was wondering if your nationality matters with rears to offers (eg us means USA team?). I suspect it doesn't matter but I was just curious. I still haven't picked up the game because I have been doing so much work the past month I just haven't had a second of free time. I love reading the I pressing though. Keep it up bro!

steelerfan
11-10-2012, 01:05 PM
I was wondering if your nationality matters with rears to offers (eg us means USA team?). I suspect it doesn't matter but I was just curious. I still haven't picked up the game because I have been doing so much work the past month I just haven't had a second of free time. I love reading the I pressing though. Keep it up bro!

According to the devs, the nationality does matter. I'm guessing you get slight favoritism from your homeland like you do your alma mater in NCAA.

My created manager, like last year, is Dominic Kinnear. He is the real manager of Houston Dynamo so that's why I use him. He is Scottish, so that is what I have him set to. We'll see how it plays out.

jaymo76
11-10-2012, 04:32 PM
According to the devs, the nationality does matter. I'm guessing you get slight favoritism from your homeland like you do your alma mater in NCAA.

My created manager, like last year, is Dominic Kinnear. He is the real manager of Houston Dynamo so that's why I use him. He is Scottish, so that is what I have him set to. We'll see how it plays out.

Speaking of MLS did they add anything to it this year? As compared to aeuoropean immersion, MLS WAS REALLY LACKING LAST YEAR. DURING SEASON PASS I was having a blast with Celtic becuase of all the extras.

steelerfan
11-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Speaking of MLS did they add anything to it this year? As compared to aeuoropean immersion, MLS WAS REALLY LACKING LAST YEAR. DURING SEASON PASS I was having a blast with Celtic becuase of all the extras.

No, they did not. MLS is still just the US Open Cup and league matches.

steelerfan
11-27-2012, 09:54 PM
I just got offered the job at Wolverhampton (I did not apply, they contacted me) and I jumped st the opportunity.

The move takes me from League 2 to the the npower Championship League, so it's quite a jump. Wolves are currently 5-9-2 (24 points) and are sitting in 9th in the table. They were eliminated in Round 2 of the Capital One Cup by Arsenal, 2-1 and have not yet entered the FA Cup.

My career record is 39-17-28 in 84 matches and my salary jumped from 8k per week to 21k per week. I was 27-9-13 in parts of 2 seasons at Port Vale after going 12-8-15 in my season in Houston. My goal at Wolves is to fight for promotion (finish in top 6).

steelerfan
12-19-2012, 09:04 PM
After a season at Houston, two half-seasons at Port Vale, and about half a season at Wolverhampton, on February 15, 2014, I accepted the job as the manager of the national team of Ecuador.

International Football, here I come!

steelerfan
12-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Today, I finished up the 13/14 season. Of course, I spent the second half of the year at Wolverhampton with the goal of fighting for promotion. I failed as Wolves finished eighth. Fortunately, I was retained for the 14/15 season but my new goal is to flat out gain promotion.

That said, I retooled portions of the roster in July and early in August. I sold a few, bought a few, and have loans going in both directions. As a result, I have bolstered my forward situation and have gone to a 4-4-2 Diamond Wide formation so I can, essentially, get 3 strikers on the pitch (one as a CAM).

I posted a 14-6-11 mark at Wolverhampton last season. My career record is now 53-23-39.

Ecuador did not qualify for the 2014 World Cup, so I was only a spectator as France won the title.

jaymo76
12-28-2012, 04:04 PM
After a season at Houston, two half-seasons at Port Vale, and about half a season at Wolverhampton, on February 15, 2014, I accepted the job as the manager of the national team of Ecuador.

International Football, here I come!

So did you get to play any intl games for qualifying or do you only get to play if your team makes the World Cup?

steelerfan
12-28-2012, 08:48 PM
So did you get to play any intl games for qualifying or do you only get to play if your team makes the World Cup?

So far, I've only played Friendlys. The World Cup qualifying was done, with Ecuador eliminated, before I got the job.

SmoothPancakes
12-29-2012, 02:57 AM
So far, I've only played Friendlys. The World Cup qualifying was done, with Ecuador eliminated, before I got the job.

That was the same way with me when I got offered the India job. India was already eliminated from qualifying and it's been nothing but Friendlys so far.

jaymo76
01-01-2013, 08:14 PM
That was the same way with me when I got offered the India job. India was already eliminated from qualifying and it's been nothing but Friendlys so far.

Smooth, you may be waiting a LONG while for India to qualify for the world cup. I would look for work elsewhere...

jaymo76
01-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh, by the way, has anyone purchased the FIFA 13 app for iPad? It's only .99c and I am going to pick it up. It looks like a lot of fun.

SmoothPancakes
01-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Smooth, you may be waiting a LONG while for India to qualify for the world cup. I would look for work elsewhere...

:D Yeah, I think I jumped on it just because I couldn't believe I was actually getting offered a job with a national team. After my current season is over, I may resign from the national job and hope I eventually get offered a position somewhere else.

steelerfan
01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I would have to purchase an iPad first so, no, no app for me. :)

I'm going to stick it out a bit with Ecuador and see what happens. While I can't be certain, I'd imagine you can get offers for other national jobs while holding another one.

SmoothPancakes
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
If that's the case, then maybe I'll stick it out a little longer at India and get some international experience while hoping a new offer shows up sometime.

steelerfan
01-01-2013, 10:35 PM
If that's the case, then maybe I'll stick it out a little longer at India and get some international experience while hoping a new offer shows up sometime.

I would. I can't guarantee you that other offers will come your way, until I see it first hand. However, I can't imagine that they cannot.

SmoothPancakes
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
I would. I can't guarantee you that other offers will come your way, until I see it first hand. However, I can't imagine that they cannot.

Well, we shall find out. I'm firing up FIFA right now for the first time since the end of October. November was dominated by Assassin's Creed 3 for the first week and a half, and then exclusively by Halo 4 for the rest of the month, and NCAA '13 was literally the only game I played in December. Since I'm forcing myself to take at least a week off of '13 while in between seasons (and contracts) to recharge the batteries before diving into a 4 year contract, it's time to get back into FIFA tonight. Got two hours to kill before the Sugar Bowl, may as well spend it getting my ass handed to me while I reacclimate myself to the FIFA controls.

steelerfan
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
:D

jaymo76
01-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Just an FYI but I purchased the FIFA 13 ipad app for .99c... all I can say is WOW! The game has more depth and features of a lot of console games that charge $59.99. I am totally impressed wit the whole thing. Now the controls are pretty tough and in my first game as Celtic MANAGER we lost 2-1 to Aberdeen but it was an amazinng performance. The cool thing is that origin welcomed me back to the FIFA series and allowed my to continue to develop my level (I was at 10 on FIFA 12). Anyone with an ipad who likes soccer... PICK THIS GAME UP NOW!!!

I was going to make a thread but I figured I am the only one who is playing the game so I'm posting here :)

steelerfan
01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks for posting that, jaymo. Sounds cool. If I had an iPad, I'd be all over it. :nod:

SmoothPancakes
01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Argh. Nobody will hire me. I've applied to team after team after team. nPower teams, Russian teams, Saudi teams, Polish teams, German teams, Nordic teams. None will accept my application.

steelerfan
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
Argh. Nobody will hire me. I've applied to team after team after team. nPower teams, Russian teams, Saudi teams, Polish teams, German teams, Nordic teams. None will accept my application.

That happened to me after my first season in Houston. During the offseason, I only advance a week at a time to check for new openings. Typically, I've had success a month or two after the season kicks off in Europe.

SmoothPancakes
01-03-2013, 10:45 PM
That happened to me after my first season in Houston. During the offseason, I only advance a week at a time to check for new openings. Typically, I've had success a month or two after the season kicks off in Europe.

Yeah, I keep checking every couple days, see what openings are listed. I'm still at Colorado, just started a new season, in late April. I've finally decided that playing MLS team after MLS team all season in both league-play and the US Cup is now boring. I want to experience the fight for promotion or to avoid relegation, the various leagues and cups in Europe. Now that I've decided that, I can't get over there.

steelerfan
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah, I keep checking every couple days, see what openings are listed. I'm still at Colorado, just started a new season, in late April. I've finally decided that playing MLS team after MLS team all season in both league-play and the US Cup is now boring. I want to experience the fight for promotion or to avoid relegation, the various leagues and cups in Europe. Now that I've decided that, I can't get over there.

Either keep plodding along at Colorado, until something opens up, or start simming (slowly) until it does. I had to go from MLS to npower League 2 to get to Europe. That's a backwards move, but it seemed necessary.

SmoothPancakes
01-04-2013, 01:08 AM
I made it out at last! It took until the middle of June, but a job application finally got accepted by PSV in the Netherlands. I really would have preferred and would have liked going to one of the nPower leagues, but for now, the Netherlands will do. I'm finally out of the MLS, I've got now cups and tournaments opened up to me, and I can still try to apply for nPower openings while I play in the Netherlands.

steelerfan
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I made it out at last! It took until the middle of June, but a job application finally got accepted by PSV in the Netherlands. I really would have preferred and would have liked going to one of the nPower leagues, but for now, the Netherlands will do. I'm finally out of the MLS, I've got now cups and tournaments opened up to me, and I can still try to apply for nPower openings while I play in the Netherlands.

Nice!

SmoothPancakes
01-04-2013, 02:49 PM
Nice!

Yep. It took until they were in the off-season, but they finally accepted my job application. PSV Eindhoven was one of those I was targeting most, mainly because they had $12 million for their transfer budget, one of the highest I had seen in the job market.

If I'm gonna move and take over a rebuilding effort, definitely gonna want some money to get it started. The most I ever had with Colorado at one time was $2.7 million, thanks in part to award money and talking management into giving me just shy of three-quarters of million extra during a transfer period.

PSV isn't gonna be easy. They finished towards the bottom of the table in their last season before I arrived. So it's gonna take some work to build them up, but I'm up for it. Actually having money to spend and buy players for a change, hopefully I can have them contending for the top of the table in a season or two, maybe work my way into Europa League.

steelerfan
01-12-2013, 12:31 PM
I had a bit of disaster strike during my recent international break. Kevin Doyle, who leads the npower Championship League with 17 goals in 18 matches and has 19 goals in 20 matches across all club competitions, was inured in a match he was playing for Ireland.

He has been in excellent form for weeks and there are alot of rumors flying that several clubs are preparing to make offers for him in the January window. I received at least 6 offers during the Summer for him, but all of my counters were too steep for any of his potential suitors.

That said, my plan had been to move him in January because he is 31 years old and his star will never be brighter. I was hoping to cash in on his great run and use the money to continue building Wolves.

Now, with it being November 22, and with Doyle out 2 months with a torn hip flexor, I'm concerned that his value won't be that high in January. Hell, he won't even be healthy until late in the month.

Shit.

steelerfan
01-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Midseason and I'm currently buried in 13th in the table with 32 points (9-5-9). The good news is that I'm only 7 points out of 6th place which would get me a Promotion Playoff spot.

My league goal is to gain promotion so I'd have to say that I'd better get my resume ready. I've started applying for jobs to cover my ass.

steelerfan
01-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Entering the January transfer window, I'm at a real crossroads in my time at Wolverhampton.

My league goal is to gain promotion and the club is currently 11th with 36 points (10-6-9) and trails the last promotion playoff spot by 8 points with 21 league matches remaining.

That said, I've currently got just over $8M in the transfer budget. I'm trying to upgrade my back four and I'm going to have to squeeze the most I possibly can out of those dollars.

Overall, morale at the club is very low even with some players who are in my Starting XI most of the time. The season expectations, mixed with the club's poor results, are making for a culture of unrest and I've got to get a grip on it this month or I'll be looking for work in a lesser league very soon.

I hit the club up, twice, in the first couple days of January for additional funds for transfers and they shot me down, citing my poor performance as the reason that they wouldn't trust me to use it to improve the club. This is getting sticky.

I am being forced by the board to move an unsettled player, Boukari, as his situation has become a constant source of distraction and media speculation. After a couple months of dealing with it, he's finally let me know he wants out and the board is telling me to grant his wish and move on. Fortunately, he's usually on my bench and is not a key contributor.

I love this game. :)

steelerfan
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Additionally, I have 3 players transfer listed, 2 listed for short loans, 8 listed for season loans, 2 out on season loans, as well as having 2 full season loanees on board.

steelerfan
01-15-2013, 11:41 PM
The dealing has begun. I've already loaned 2 of my young players out this January and I'm being hit with daily offers to buy others.

I was offered $4.7M for my Keeper, Hennessy (27 yo, 80 OVR). I countered at $8M and it was re-countered at $7M. I then can back at $7.75M.

I think I'm going to move him because I can add around $5M to my budget by doing so and I short listed a couple of suitable replacements. One is a 78 OVR (iirc) and is 27 and his value is like $3M. The other is a 75 OVR and is 23. His value is $3.5M. In both cases, my advisor says it looks like those deals could happen (which is why I chose to short list those players).

I could add some $ to my budget and either get younger or get a relatively comparable player. In my position, every dollar counts.

The good news in all of this mess is that I'm unbeaten in 3 (2-1-0) and I'm up to tenth in the table and just 6 points from a playoff spot with still 20 matches to go.

steelerfan
01-16-2013, 08:26 PM
I've now had 7 clubs approach me for Ujah. I've scared 3 off, but the other 4 are offering between $11.5 and $15 million. I'm trying to stick to my $15 million asking price and actually see if I can get even more.

I've also scared off a few who have inquired about Doyle.

I've agreed to sell Karl Henry to Everton for $875k. He's 32, just a 70 OVR (CDM), declining fast, and never plays. I hope the Toffees work out a contract with him.

I've also agreed to sell my keeper, Wayne Hennessey to Hamburger SV for $7.5M. That's also pending player negotiations.

I sold Ronald Zubar (29 yo, 70 OVR, RB) to Bolton for $1.7M, and the unsettled Razak Boukari (27, 73, ST) was also sold to Bolton for $3.4M. Neither had a huge role with the club.

steelerfan
01-16-2013, 10:12 PM
My last match was an FA Cup 3rd round match with Brighton & Hove Albion. I was down, 4-2 midway through the second half when the game froze. I decided to sim it, and lost 2-1. I held Hennessey and Ujah out, because of their pending sales.

After the match, I learned that Hamburger SV came to terms with Hennessey, completing his $7.5M transfer. The deal to send Karl Henry to Everton was also finalized.

I managed to get the full $15M from Fiorentina for Ujah. This gives me some money to spend and I only really need to replace Hennessey and get some depth up front. After that, the remaining budget can be spent bolstering my back four.

steelerfan
01-16-2013, 10:50 PM
I just completed a transfer with Palermo. I purchased 24-year-old CB Ezequiel Munoz for $7.5M and signed him to a 3-year deal at $50k per week.

Munoz will immediately step in at LCB and upgrade the back four (previous LCB was a 73).

steelerfan
01-16-2013, 11:06 PM
Another signing: 21-year-old striker Jack Sampson to a 4-year deal (10k per week). I paid Bolton $4.5M for him (72 OVR).

steelerfan
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Just purchased 25-year-old LB Kieran Gibbs (81 OVR) from Arsenal for $8.5M. I had to overpay him to get him to join my less-prestigious club. He was signed to a 5-year deal at $90k per week.

I also added GK Simon Mignolet (26 yo, 77 OVR) from Aston Villa for $4.3M. I signed him for 3 years at $45k per week. All told, I should have just kept Hennessey.

For depth purposes, I also added versatile 24 yo midfielder Ashley Westwood from Villa on a 3-year deal at $10k per week for $1.7M.

steelerfan
01-17-2013, 12:24 AM
Now that the dust has settled, this is what my club looks like:

GK Mignolet 77
RB Stearman 76
RCB Margreitter 76
LCB Munoz 80
LB Gibbs 81
CDM Rogie 77
RM Hammell 77
LM O'Hara 79
CAM Adomah 75
RS Elkeson 80
LS Doyle 75

Substitutes
GK Ikeme 68
CB Johnson 74
LB Ward 73
CM Valotti 75
CAM Torres 73
ST Branzani 75
ST Sampson 73

Notable Reserves
CB Berra 73
RB Foley 72
CDM Westwood 71
ST Griffiths 73

steelerfan
01-18-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm back into an international break. I just drew my first match, 1-1, with Paraguay. There were 39 shots in the match (19 by Ecuador).

After I fell behind at 74', Calcedo equalized in the 79th minute.

Next up is Cameroon.

steelerfan
01-18-2013, 11:29 PM
Jesus.

Just took a 5-1 loss at Cameroon. My only goal came on a penalty in stoppage time.

Time to get back to Wolverhampton where I'm tenth in the table in the npower Championship League. The good news is that there's 15 matches left and I'm only 3 points out of a promotion playoff spot.

steelerfan
01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
For the record, my international record is now 2-3-5. Not impressive, but at least it's all been friendlys.

steelerfan
01-23-2013, 11:48 PM
Got the result in a tough match at Cardiff City, winning 1-0. I managed the only goal of the match in the 77th minute when Albert Adomah put one in off the right post after a loose ball situation was created by the defense.

The match featured 26 shots (12 by Wolves) and 10 on target (6 by Wolves), but there were very few good chances. It was truly a defensive match.

Wolves remain in 10th place at 14-9-9 (51 points), but are just 2 points behind 6th place Birmingham City and 4 points back of 4th place Nottingham Forest. For Cardiff City, the loss drops them into a tie with West Ham United (67 points) at the top of the table. The Hammers lead on goal differential (35 to 27) and have a game in-hand.

As an aside, I was offered a one year extension, and I accepted, to remain the manager of the national team of Ecuador.

steelerfan
01-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Followed my big win over Cardiff City with a draw at home against Oldham Athletic, 2-2. Shots were even at 10 and Wolves held a 6-5 on target advantage. I also had 6 corners, but failed to convert.

Scoring for Wolverhampton were Kevin Doyle (29' penalty) and Elkeson (42').

The big match of the day saw West Ham and Cardiff City play to a 1-1 draw to remain level at the top of the table with 68 points.

Here's the top half of the table, going into my match at Peterborough. The top 2 will be promoted and 3-6 will enter the Promotion Playoff:

Club Played Points GD
1. West Ham 32 68 35
2. Cardiff City 33 68 27
3. Derby County 33 62 16
4. Reading 33 57 20
5. Nottingham Forest 33 56 5
6. Blackburn 32 55 17
7. Birmingham City 33 54 16
8. Leicester City 32 53 22
9. Wolves 33 52 12
10. Blackpool 32 52 9
11. Brighton & Hove 33 51 4
12. Middlesbrough 33 45 -4

The bottom of the table (bottom 3 will be relegated to League 1):

21. Millwall 33 27 -26
22. Peterborough 32 25 -17
23. Leeds United 32 20 -21
24. Oldham Athletic 32 19 -43

steelerfan
01-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Despite conceding an Own Goal (Ezequiel Munoz), Wolves earned a 4-2 win at Peterborough. Wolves outshot The Posh 15 (6) to 11 (4) and possessed the ball for 56% of the match.

Aside from Munoz's 12th minute gaffe, scoring for Wolves were Kevin Doyle (3' penalty), Adam Hammill (18'), Elkeson (42'), and Munoz (49').

Munoz's redemption in the 49th minute came from a blistering header off of a corner and it really tilted the match to Wolves.

In the days following the match, I lost Albert Adomah for 3 months with an LCL injury that occurred in training.

Up next is a visit from Derby County who are 3rd in the table. Wolves are still 9th, through 34 match days, but are just 2 points behind the bottom playoff position.

steelerfan
01-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Oh, additionally, Wolverhampton is unbeaten in their last 11 league matches with a 6-5-0 mark over that span.

steelerfan
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Wolves stay hot, increasing their unbeaten streak in the league to 12 with a 2-1 won over Derby County.

The Wanderers held a shot advantage of 13 (7) to 9 (4) and both of their goals were scored by Kevin Doyle (9', 39'). Doyle leads the Championship League with 22 goals on the season, despite having missed ten games.

The win vaults Wolves to 7th in the league table, just 1 point behind Leicester City who currently holds the last Promotion Playoff spot with 11 matches remaining.

Next up is a trip to face Leeds United who are 23rd in the league and are 3 points shy of safety.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Frustrating loss at bottom-feeding Leeds.

With only 2 days rest and West Ham up next, I rested 6 regulars from my usual Starting XI. Add in the injury to Adomah and I had 7 out.

Really, Wolves played well. A 4% possession advantage, 5 more shots on target, and a 9% pass accuracy advantage. It wasn't enough.

Andrea Branzani got Wolves out to a great start with an absolute laser from 17 yards, just 4 minutes in. However, Leeds had a 2-1 lead at 47'.

The frustration came in the dying embers of the match when, in stoppage time, there was a scramble for a loose ball in front of the Leeds net.

The ball was rolling, with momentum, across the line when Kyle Westwood, who had lept to avoid the opposing keeper, came down just in front of the ball. The ball was about 95% over the line, but hit Westwood's heel and caromed back out. Aggh!

The loss dumps Wolverhampton all the way down to tenth in the table, but still just 2 points from 6th and a Promotion Playoff spot. Leeds remain in the relegation zone but are just one point shy of safety.

Next up is a trip to West Ham to face the league-leading Hammers who are now 4 points clear of Cardiff City. It should be very interesting after I talked shit in the press leading up to the match about our 5-1 demolition of West Ham in August.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Wolves went to West Ham and took their second straight defeat. The Hammers scored in the 47th minute after a loose ball scramble bounced their way and was easily netted for the game's only goal.

After scoring 5 times on West Ham early in the season, the Wanderers managed just 5 shots with none of them being on target. I would venture to say that this was easily the worst offensive output that I have had in my, roughly, 700 matches between FIFA 12 & 13. Ugly.

The loss brings me to another international break. Wolves remain in teenth place, with nine league matches remaining, and are now 5 points shy of sixth place and a potential playoff spot.

During the international break, my Ecuador squad has friendlys scheduled with Ivory Coast and South Africa.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Ecuador wins, 2-0, at Ivory Coast behind goals from Felipe Caicedo (28') and Christian Noboa (45') and the clean sheet kept by Maximo Banguera. It was the second friendly I've won over Ivory Coast in my time at Ecuador.

Up next, South Africa.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 06:46 PM
I increased my all-time international record to 4-3-5, and rewarded the Ecuador FA for re-signing me, by going 2-0-0 for the first time in my career on an international break after a 3-2 win over South Africa.

After falling behind in the 9th minute, I got goals from Jefferson Montero (13'), Jose Rojas (71'), and Felipe Caicedo (80') before South Africa closed the match with a goal in the 90th minute.

Now it's back to the Championship League with a trip to 19th place Huddersfield.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 08:35 PM
I made the difficult decision to start going with Andrea Branzani over Kevin Doyle. Branzani is just 20 years old and he is a great prospect up front. His OVR is now 76, as opposed to the 31-year-old Doyle's 75.

That said, I'll have to re-think that strategy as Doyle came off the bench at 88' and scored the equalizer at 90' in a 1-1 draw at Huddersfield. I do have to work Branzani in more - perhaps Elkeson should go back to CAM and Branzani should be paired with Doyle up front - as I can't risk pissing the youngster off. However, Doyle has 25 goals on the season, including 23 in the league so I can't keep him off the pitch.

For the record, this match was a second consecutive offensive nightmare for Wolves as we, again, managed just 5 shots.

steelerfan
01-27-2013, 10:26 PM
I decided to move Elkeson back to CAM to get Andrea Branzani on the pitch and, despite losing Kevin Doyle in the 6th minute (more on that later), Wolves got the offense going again.

We hosted Millwall and outshot them 16-9, earning a 2-1 win. Adam Hammill opened the scoring in the 37th minute and Branzani added the eventual difference-maker on a beautiful power-header at 73', before Millwall scored at 80' to tighten things up for the final ten minutes.

Doyle, who suffered a knee sprain, is expected to miss about a month which means he could miss the remainder of the season. He will likely lose out on the Golden Boot as his lead is only one goal over Brighton & Hove's Craig Mackail-Smith who has 22 goals to Doyle's 23.

The win has Wolves in ninth in the table, 7 points behind the clubs ranked 4-6. For Millwall, the loss leaves them in 22nd - 5 points from safety.

Next up is a trip to Reading, on just 2 days rest. The Royals are seventh in the table, 6 points clear of Wolves. A loss at Reading would do major damage to any promotion chances the Wanderers still have, with just 7 matches remaining.

The clubs played to a 2-2 draw in a September match at Wolverhampton.

steelerfan
01-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Andrea Branzani showed, for the second straight match, that he will be an aerial threat for years to come as he powered in a header off a corner at 38'. At 6'6", the 20-year-old Italian Striker already has great speed and finishing skills. When he masters his skills in the air - look out.

Unfortunately, his goal only drew Wolves level as we played to a 1-1 decision with Reading.

Wolves remain in ninth place, seven points out of a playoff spot while Reading remain in seventh.

The Wanderers will host Hull City next. The Tigers are currently 8 points behind Wolverhampton, in thirteenth place. Wolves won, in late August, 3-1 at Hull in the league only to be eliminated on the same ground, just 3 days later, from the Capital One Cup on September 2 in a 1-0 loss.

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Jamie O'Hara bounced a header from the left post, at 9 yards out, into the right corner of the net at 40' and Simon Mignolet kept a clean sheet as Wolves held on for a 1-nil win over Hull City.

Despite being outshot (10-9), having fewer on target (2-1), and possessing the ball less (47%) than the Tigers, Wolverhampton squeezed out the result to keep their promotion playoff hours alive.

Wolves are currently ninth in the table, and are 6 points behind sixth placed Reading. Hull City has dropped to thirteenth, 11 points behind the Wanderers.

Up next, Wolves host Blackburn who have moved past slumping Cardiff City into second and a promotion spot. In their only previous meeting, Blackburn got a 4-2 home result just before Christmas.

With their fourth match in just 11 days, Wolves will likely go with a different side than usual, due to fatigue, and could feature 20-year-old defensive midfielder Danny Mantom who just completed a season long loan assignment with Brighton & Hove. Mantom had 3 goals and 5 clean sheets in 16 appearances with the Albion this year.

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 01:57 AM
Tough loss against Blackburn. Wolves conceded the only goal of the match at 61', in a 1-0 defeat.

Wolverhampton, with a side full of substitutes, played well enough to grrr the result but ultimately a lack of finishing, fatigue, and 3 injuries on the rain-soaked pitch did them in.

Roger Johnson and Georg Margreitter will miss 3 weeks with knee sprains.

The loss makes Wolves promotion playoff hopes all the more perilous. With just 4 match days remaining, Wolverhampton is still sitting ninth in the table and now trails sixth-placed Reading by 8 points. Blackburn maintains a 2-point lead on Cardiff City for second place and a guaranteed promotion spot.

Wolves will get a full week off to recharge before hosting fourth-placed Brighton & Hove, whom they trail by 12 points.

The clubs have met twice this season with the Albion taking a 3-0 August decision in league play and a 2-1 result, at Wolves, in the FA Cup.

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 08:50 PM
Wolves dominated Brighton & Hove on Tuesday evening virtually from start to finish in the third meeting between the clubs this season. Following a pair of prior setbacks to the Albion, one of which eliminated Wolverhampton from the FA Cup, the Wanderers outshot (16-7), out possessed (52%), out tackled (21-16), and generally outhustled the opposition for the full 90.

Christophe Berra (26') and Andrea Branzani (63') finished 2 of Wolves 5 corners with brilliant headers to provide the scoring as Dominic Kinnear's club continue to improve their aerial game.

Ezequiel Munoz drew a straight red card in the area at 86 minutes and was sent off but Simon Mignolet preserved the clean sheet just moments later by snatching the ensuing penalty attempt for a 2-nil decision.

With the win, Wolves remain 8 points behind sixth-place side, Derby County. With just three league matches remaining, Wolverhampton's promotion chances are all but gone. The Albion remain in fourth position and a guaranteed promotion, a playoff spot, and missing the playoff all remain possibilities for them.

Munoz will now serve a one match ban from the FA when Wolves travel to Barnsley on Saturday at 3:00 PM. The two sides drew in their previous match in August, 1-1. Barnsley are sitting eighteenth in the table.

With Roger Johnson and Georg Margreitter already out with injury, the loss of Munoz will put Kinnear's club three men down on the back line.

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 08:55 PM
I think I'm going to switch things up next season and start a recap thread where I'll just post some tidbits from my career like I've been doing for the last several matches. Now that my slider work is long finished, I had gotten bored with just posting stats which is why I started doing this.

Not sure who is interested, but I'm doing it anyway. :)

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 08:59 PM
As an aside, I've currently played 181 matches on FIFA 13. That puts me on pace for about 540 before 14 drops. Iirc, I played about 560 on 12. :D

JBHuskers
01-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Not sure who is interested, but I'm doing it anyway. :)

I've been reading!

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 10:02 PM
I've been reading!

Good enough for me. Hell, I'd do it even if no one read, just for posterity. :)

JBHuskers
01-29-2013, 10:06 PM
Good enough for me. Hell, I'd do it even if no one read, just for posterity. :)

If I ever get consistent in my season play, I'd do the same. I'm around 36 games into year one.

steelerfan
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Another dominate performance on Saturday afternoon as Wolverhampton made quick work of Barnsley, 4-1.

Andrea Branzani scored a bookend brace opening things with a goal on the first shot of the match at 4' and capping the scoring at 68' with his second. In between, Elkeson ended a much-publicized 8-game drought as Kinnear sent him to the spot and he converted at 8'. Jamie O'Hara netted Wolves third goal at 40' as the Wanderers were never truly threatened on the afternoon.

21-year-old Left Back, Kevin Flood made his debut with Wolves coming on for Kieran Gibbs in the 75th minute.

Wolves will hit the road again on Tuesday as they visit 11th place Nottingham Forest. A November meeting between the sides went to Wolves, 4-1.

Wolverhampton still cling to hope of gaining a spot in the promotion playoff. They currently sit in ninth, but trail sixth place Derby County by 5 points, with 2 matches remaining.

steelerfan
01-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Tuesday night brought a third straight dominating performance by Wolverhampton as they won, 3-0, at Forest.

Wolves possessed the ball for 58% of the match and limited the opposition to just 1 shot on target making Simon Mignolet's clean sheet a fairly easy effort. Forest committed 8 fouls and were booked 3 times.

Andrea Branzani converted from the spot at 4', Elkeson scored his first non-penalty goal in ten matches at 44', and Jack Sampson headed in the capper at 73' as Wolves cruised to the easy three points.

Unfortunately for Kinnear's side, even with the recent run of form, Wolves have been eliminated from promotion playoff contention as they trail sixth place Derby County by 5 points going into Saturday's season finale against Bristol City.

In the finale, Kinnear is expected to play his youth and field a squad of reserves. Additionally, Kinnear has stated that Kevin Doyle will return to the team and will feature in the starting XI.

Doyle still leads the npower Championship League with 23 goals, despite making just 29 league appearances. The 31-year-old Irish international has been with Wolves since 2009 and will try to win the league's Golden Boot in front of the home supporters. The match could be Doyle's last with the club as rumors persist that he will be sold in the Summer window, with the club continuing its youth movement.

steelerfan
02-12-2013, 12:17 AM
Initially, upon reading the article below, I thought that they were saying that the FIFA franchise sold 12 million copies in the calendar year of 2012 (between FIFA 12 & 13 during the year).

No.

I later found an article that stated that FIFA 13 sold 7.4 million copies in the first 4 weeks since it's release in late September. Therefore, obviously, 12 million is the number of sales, to date, of FIFA 13. In, basically, 4 months.

Wow!

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-13-hits-12m-sales/

steelerfan
02-13-2013, 01:21 AM
Smooth, I got clarification tonight that you cannot get international job offers if you are holding an international job.

Thought I'd pass that along, in case you want to resign from your position with India next time you fire the game up.

That said, I'm going to stick with Ecuador for awhile now that I've gotten to World Cup Qualifying. If it starts going badly (Group Stage is eighteen matches over 25 months), I may resign.

SmoothPancakes
02-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Smooth, I got clarification tonight that you cannot get international job offers if you are holding an international job.

Thought I'd pass that along, in case you want to resign from your position with India next time you fire the game up.

That said, I'm going to stick with Ecuador for awhile now that I've gotten to World Cup Qualifying. If it starts going badly (Group Stage is eighteen matches over 25 months), I may resign.

Damn, thanks for letting me know that. I'll have to leave India then. I'm not going to be doing anything with them anytime soon, and I'll probably end up fired before then, so may as well leave and try and get a new job offer sooner from someone else.

steelerfan
02-13-2013, 12:21 PM
Damn, thanks for letting me know that. I'll have to leave India then. I'm not going to be doing anything with them anytime soon, and I'll probably end up fired before then, so may as well leave and try and get a new job offer sooner from someone else.

:up:

CLW
02-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Well I've played this game for a good bit now and its pretty solid but still too offensive friendly IMHO. I've also ran into a number of glitches while playing including a player of mine getting injured in injury time then once the game ends it will not let me exit out to continue my career.

steelerfan
02-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Well I've played this game for a good bit now and its pretty solid but still too offensive friendly IMHO. I've also ran into a number of glitches while playing including a player of mine getting injured in injury time then once the game ends it will not let me exit out to continue my career.

I've seen that twice in first half stoppage time. I forwarded it to EA, fwiw.

CLW
03-01-2013, 02:54 PM
man this game locks up a TON. paused it to take the dogs outside. when i returned its just the field with the camera moving all around and no button i push does anything.

steelerfan
03-01-2013, 03:24 PM
man this game locks up a TON. paused it to take the dogs outside. when i returned its just the field with the camera moving all around and no button i push does anything.

Hmm. I've only seen it twice, like I described above. :dunno:

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Steeler, do you look at or use age at all when deciding whether to sell a player? For me, I've been generally looking at selling off a player once he gets to 29 or 30, and starts showing signs of regression in his ratings, opting for someone between 18 and 24 within 5-7 points OVR below him. Just seeing what methods you use in deciding when it's time to cut a player loose and make some money off of him on the transfer market.

steelerfan
03-15-2013, 06:02 PM
Steeler, do you look at or use age at all when deciding whether to sell a player? For me, I've been generally looking at selling off a player once he gets to 29 or 30, and starts showing signs of regression in his ratings, opting for someone between 18 and 24 within 5-7 points OVR below him. Just seeing what methods you use in deciding when it's time to cut a player loose and make some money off of him on the transfer market.

I'm always looking for players that are under 25 too. Additionally, when they hit 30 I won't give them more than a series of 1-year contracts (makes it easy to get out of). If they are 30ish and not playing (or not playing much), I look to sell them.

I don't sell young players, unless they will never play or will never reach the ability I need them at. The only way I sell a good young player is if my counter is met. I never counter for less than 2x the player's value. If they pay that, fine.

Additionally, when buying, I look for players from England first - so there's not a chance they become unsettled at Wolves.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm always looking for players that are under 25 too. Additionally, when they hit 30 I won't give them more than a series of 1-year contracts (makes it easy to get out of). If they are 30ish and not playing (or not playing much), I look to sell them.

I don't sell young players, unless they will never play or will never reach the ability I need them at. The only way I sell a good young player is if my counter is met. I never counter for less than 2x the player's value. If they pay that, fine.

Additionally, when buying, I look for players from England first - so there's not a chance they become unsettled at Wolves.

Nice, good stuff there. Yeah, I generally start putting players on my transfer list around 30, looking to move them while still with a couple years left and while still playing well, trying to get as much money for them as I can. Two seasons ago I went on a massive fire sell where I sent something like 6 or 7 players who were routinely at the bottom of my subs list or sitting in the reserves out the door during both transfer periods, making a huge chunk of change in the process, then bringing in 3 or 4 younger and much higher OVR players to replace them.

While I don't stick to just Netherlands, I do try to limit my players to Europe, specifically nearby countries to keep them happy and from becoming unsettled. I'm going through that problem with one player right now.

Also, I would like to add that the board is a bunch of damn idiots! LB Georgiy Schennikov (88 OVR, 27 years old) wants to leave. I transfer listed him, I've been countering back and forth with Chelsea and they accepted my counter of $40 million. Two days later, I get a message saying that the board sold Schennikov to FC Barcelona for $16.5 million? REALLY? Who the hell would willingly sell a player for $23.5 million less than an offer that had already been agreed on between teams and the buying team was working on a contract with the player?

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Well, after refusing to give up such a talented player like Schennikov for only $16.5 million (what a goddamn joke) all because the board wanted to move him as quickly as possible, I reloaded my career a couple times trying to work out a deal with Chelsea to still get at least $36.5 million out of them, and still complete the deal before the board, but Sunday would come, we'd play our match, and the board would always sell him for $20 million or less. Ultimately, I had to say fuck it, give up and accept Chelsea's counter of $34.5 million that I had on the table when I had last saved, just so they could start talking contract with him and get him moved before the board got the in way. It pisses me off losing $5.5 million out of that deal, when Chelsea had agreed to $40 million before, but it's better than freaking $16.5 million at least.

steelerfan
03-16-2013, 03:57 AM
I like that the board will sell a player, if you don't. But I agree that, if you have a deal in the works they should wait for it to resolve itself.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2013, 04:08 AM
I like that the board will sell a player, if you don't. But I agree that, if you have a deal in the works they should wait for it to resolve itself.

Yeah, I mean I have no problem with the board taking things into their own hands if I don't act. But I transfer-listed Schennikov THE day he said he wanted to transfer out and I knew I had no chance to keep him and was working to get the best deal I could for him.

I had been counter-offering back and forth with Chelsea for 4 or 5 days trying to get the best price I could, and when I finally get the deal done and Chelsea is talking with the player to work out a contract, the board decides to stick their nose in and sell him for a pathetic price and completely undercut my potential profit by over $20 million.

That is something they need to fix for FIFA 14. I realize the board wanted to get him out as soon as possible, I was doing my best to do exactly that, but I had one hell of a sweet deal for him ($40 million), no one in their right mind would undercut that deal and offload him for $16.5 million just because they would have to otherwise wait one or two days longer for the deal with Chelsea to be completed. Any board member or GM that would piss away over $20 million just to move a player a day or two sooner, would have his ass kicked to the curb.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2013, 05:20 PM
And something is now officially messed up. I can't go into my shortlist anymore. I click on View Shortlist, it locks up the button (everything else still scrolls or moves, briefly) and then my entire system locks up after 5-10 seconds. I've had to completely restart my 360 3 times now. So great, there goes any access to the my shortlist. Fantastic.

steelerfan
03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Try adding a player to your shortlist.

If that doesn't work, add a player, then save, then reload it and try.

If that fails, try an auto-save file.

SmoothPancakes
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Alright, I got back into FIFA after spending the last few days playing Sleeping Dogs. For whatever reason, I can now get into my shortlist, despite not making any changes to it, so that's good. Issue averted there.

I've just hit and passed the deadline for the July/August transfer window in my new season. I've gone on a fire sale this year. Traded away Luciano Narsingh (90 OVR RW) for $45.5 million to Real Madrid, Sergio Busquets (88 OVR CDM) for $20.5 million to Manchester City, Kevin Strootman (85 OVR CM) for $15 million to Manchester United and Mathias Jorgenson (82 OVR CB) for $13 million to Valencia, giving me four of the top 6 Top Deals of the transfer window.

Add in five players recently signed from my youth squad in the lower 60s and upper 50s in OVR sent away on season loans, and my transfer budget has become $100,175,000 million richer in the past two months. I started with a transfer budget of $46 million, I'm currently up to $149,406,999 and $885,500 to be used for new wages.

I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna go on a buying spree in the January/February transfer window or not. I'm actually still in good shape as far as my starters and reserves.

Busquets had been on my list of people to get rid of this transfer window for a year now, since he's currently 31 years old. Narsingh was headed out the door eventually, as he wanted transferred out and the board gave me full power in the decision of either selling him off or keeping him through the end of his contract. I couldn't get rid of him in time in the previous January/February window, but was able to get the job done this time.

Strootman was another on my list of players to try and get rid of, he's a good player and only 29 years old, but he was pretty much regularly on the substitutes list, so he got sent away when I got a good deal. And Jorgensen was actually one of my starters on the defensive line, but Valencia offered a good amount for him, I was able to get them to spend a couple million extra through counter offers, and I have a 25 year old player who is 78 OVR, who is more than ready to step in as a starter.