PDA

View Full Version : Noob Playcaller

hitmanwa
09-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Hi all, great info here. I've played NCAA and Madden forever but I've never been real fluent regarding concepts and such. I was wondering if someone would point me in the right direction as far as starting a playbook. I like to run the ball, preferably out of 1-back sets with some PA. I probably need to start with simple concepts. Eventually I'd like to get into more complex stuff like air raid, wco and the other stuff but I need a good base. I figure working on my own playbook would help me understand some of the different concepts and how to incorporate them. Any help would be appreciated.

The only books I have are http://www.amazon.com/Offensive-Football-Strategies-American-Association/dp/0736001395 as well as the defensive one. I need to sit down and read them but I'm not sure how helpful these will be.

Thanks,

gigemaggs99
09-12-2012, 11:41 PM
I'm not expert at this game but I do consider myself kinda crazy when it comes to going through playbooks. I spend hours on the practice field and try out as many different play books as I can.

One thing that has helped me "cut down" on some of the play calling is learning the quick audibles of each formation. You get 4, then you also have 5 main audibles, so in any given formation there are 4 plays you do not want to call from the play-call menu then if one of your main audibles is also from this formation you obviously don't want to call it either.

Learn your audibles, learn your quick audibles. When you read the defense you will then know what you have at your disposal to attack them.

Learn how to use the package subs, sometimes you can use the "base" package sub to get your base personnel on the field, then if you audible or run no-huddle you'll have the proper players on the field.

I like to run the ball too, I've been messing w/ the WCO a lot and trying to learn as much as I can. It's a pass first offense but you wear the defense down with short quick passes from under-center formations, then when they start playing the pass it's RUN RUN RUN. I usually end up with 200-300+ passing yards and by the end of the game have a 100+ yards rushing.

I play the CPU a lot so I'm not sure what/who you play, but one thing I've also notice is motion works well. I'll come out in Strong I Twins and motion the X WR left to make a bunch look. Then he's usually running some sort of a mesh concept with the original slot WR I work this a few plays, then come out in the same formation but this time call a run. I run to the side of the motion, the defense drops back to play the pass and I get decent yards on the run.

Then start mixing in PA and it's actually pretty fun :nod:

From ACE formations I like to motion the HB to the flats and hot route him to a whip route, usually one that meshes with the WR on his side, this causes a nice cross-up of the DBs, leaving one or the other open.

I don't throw the ball deep much as I don't like to get sacked. I'll take my shots but it may be 2-3 a game total.

I also like to put the TE in the backfield as a "PRO" look and use him as my check-down as he can run over people after he makes the short catches.

Once you pick a style learn the simple concepts...work them over and over from different formations, then you can start adding in new wrinkles.

Picking and learning the style is they key. The Air Raid isn't more complex than the WCO, it's just different. Each style has it's simple and complex concepts.

What style are you leaning towards?

Hope this helps.

hitmanwa
09-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the reply gigem. Don't your quick audibles depend on what plays are in the playbook? I play dynasty mode offline. I do some of what you've described other than motion, I forget abt it more than anything or I don't have the time once I finally decide on a play. I need to learn my play books better. I don't have a grasp of what routes to use to attack certain parts of the field. I know posts kill C2 and corners kill C1 the rest I'm working on. I understand smash kills zone as do the multilevel ins/outs. I think part of my problem is I love drags and slants because they are high % plays but I sometimes feel like I'm cheesing. The short passing game doesn't help my running game much though but I'm not good at deep passes. I need to learn to move in the pocket better. I guess I need to pick a style then try to learn about the concepts and how the pass/run fit in that concept.

Thanks again for the reply,

gigemaggs99
09-13-2012, 10:13 PM
I guess I need to pick a style then try to learn about the concepts and how the pass/run fit in that concept.

That sounds like a good plan, once you learn it's in's and outs, you can then move onto a new style. I've been working on the WCO, Air Raid, and Spread.

I enjoy the spread but if I don't have the blocking or the speed the SG running is hard for me to get going. Oregon is fun to use w/ this style but I enjoy using the lower tier teams and they just don't have the 90+ backs to run the offense.

The Air Raid is fun when I want to throw the ball all over the field. I don't get as much smash mouth running as I like, maybe I'm old school.

The WCO seems like a good compromise for me, I get all the short quick passing I want, plus a few deep shots down field. Then I'm able to get some nice power running. Once the PA starts working I'm usually having fun. I like the long, 16+ play drives that chew clock, it's cool to R2+R-stick down to see my entire team yellow or pulsing red :nod:

I'm kinda wanting to mess with some one-back. I like Eastern Michigan's PB for that but I'm just starting to mess around with it. I'm kinda reluctant to go away from the Strong I and Weak I formations where I can package sub my TE in as a "PRO" look and have him for dump offs and check downs.

Yes, your quick audibles depend on your playbook but once you pick one and learn it they aren't that hard to figure out. For most playbooks the quick UP is a slant route, quick RIGHT is a four verticals or another deep passing play, quick down is an inside hand-off, and quick left is PA off of that run. So I usually never call 4 slants, 4 verts, a dive/slam, or the PA off those running plays.

For PA I'm a big fan of PA Power O. Check out Spider 2 Y-banana from Andrew Luck, the FB is usually open and if you get lucky the TE on a deep out is open too.

As far as motion goes, I'm not sure why, but (after watching USC's last 2 games from DVR, they use motion like crazy)....if I come out w/ the San Diego St PB (another GREAT WCO PB) Strong I Normal and call the Power O and run it as it sets up I get ok yards. However if I motion a WR either one, it seems to compress the defense and I get much better blocking. It may just be coincidence but I get much better rushing stats when I motion WRs and TEs around. It's not just in the Strong I Normal formation either, I'd suggest messing w/ the motion if you want to get some better rushing stats.

Anyways, good luck and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

FanoftheGame101
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
Hi all, great info here. I've played NCAA and Madden forever but I've never been real fluent regarding concepts and such. I was wondering if someone would point me in the right direction as far as starting a playbook. I like to run the ball, preferably out of 1-back sets with some PA. I probably need to start with simple concepts. Eventually I'd like to get into more complex stuff like air raid, wco and the other stuff but I need a good base. I figure working on my own playbook would help me understand some of the different concepts and how to incorporate them. Any help would be appreciated.

The only books I have are http://www.amazon.com/Offensive-Football-Strategies-American-Association/dp/0736001395 as well as the defensive one. I need to sit down and read them but I'm not sure how helpful these will be.

Thanks,

Will teach you how to attack most coverages from man cov0, man cv1,man cv2 ,cv1 ,cv2, cv3, cv4

Mainly pictures easy to flip through and refrence you should be able recognize concepts when you see a new pass play and understand what they are generally trying to attack.

http://www.amazon.com/Attacking-Coverages-With-Passing-Game/dp/158518005X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372873469&sr=8-1&keywords=attacking+coverages+with+the+passing+game

Understand these articles

http://smartfootball.com/offense/why-every-team-should-apply-the-constraint-theory-of-offense

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/03/why-bubble-its-all-about-constraint

In THEORY if the defense play with 2 high safeties. You should run the football. The reason is your there will be a blocker on the line of scrimmage for everyone on defensive front. The safties are out of the box and are too far away to affect the ball carrier on the line of scrimmage.

If they bring a safety down then they have one more guy then you can block an now the defense has the numbers advantage and has free person to hit the ball carrier. This is what is talked about naseum :sick: on espn and nfl network as the end all and be all of stopping the run the "8 man box" :fp:.

Now to get the numbers back in the offense favor you can make your qb a threat to run. If the qb is a threat to run the defense doesn't have the number to stop the run if they play with a deep saftey. Its just math.

That's why RGIII and Kap will continue to run circles around some of the best defensive minds in the nfl and you will here the experts on tv say "all they need to do is get 8 men in the box to stop that college stuff its :easy:" :bang:

"When the QB goes back away from the line(ie dropbacks or hands off), there can be a safety. When he moves laterally(ie runs the ball/options), there cannot be. The offenders on a side must see their numbers in a mirror." - Homer Smith

Now the defense can get numbers back into their favor by bringing safeties down ala cover 0 and they a defender for every blocker and a free defender to hit the ball carrier. In which case the offense should generally pass.

So if your a pro style guy with your qb not running, against 8 in the box in theory you would want to pass. If you are a spread option guy who has a mobile qb and are using him in the run you can run as long as the qb is involved by optioning or running it himself.

This is all assuming they cover all of your wide recievers and that's where those constraint articles come in.

Again this is all in theory. There are ways to play with formation strengths, motions, and lineman to change some of these rules but that kinda 201 stuff there and I'm still learning a lot of that myself.

However the info above should make you better than half off all ncaa players online offensively.

Hope it helps the op or anyone who is new playcalling

P.S. I know its a long post but I'm off today so I figure "Each one Teach one" :cool:

FanoftheGame101
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Example of 2 safety defense number game

http://postimg.org/image/7pgbvxwsn/

Example of 1 safety defense numbers game

http://postimg.org/image/wo3aaw46f/

Zone read option
http://sportingmaniac.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Zone-Read1.jpg

Example of 0 saftey defense numbers game
http://postimg.org/image/42jbmzjgn/

Ironmanfootball
07-03-2013, 08:22 PM
I have basics on my blog, I'm becoming a "beginners" guru:

http://ironmanfootball.wordpress.com/

I will be publishing an ebook through coachxo soon on the zone offense.

Canes Fan
07-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Hey Iron what highschool you coach?