PDA

View Full Version : Passing game

Oneback
07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
It may be me but does anyone else notice that the pass defense may be a little over powered?

I just finished a game against KingPin online where combined between the two teams (Arizona at Michigan) there were 11 pass deflections and 4 drops out of 43 pass attempts.

Now as a team Alabama averaged 5.28 pass deflections per game last year and they are considered one of the best defenses in the nation. I don't think Arizona or Michigan's defense will ever be compared to the 2009 Alabama defense.

The other thing I have noticed is that man coverage is super tight coverage. Especially on any breaking routes it almost seems as if the DB knows/makes the break before your reciever does.

This is really my only complaint about the game and I know it can be fixed with sliders of online dynasties but it is kind of making online games dull and boring as no one is moving the ball all that well. The end of games are exciting I guess as the last person that has the ball has a chance to win the game in a 6-3 defensive struggle.

I OU a Beatn
07-15-2010, 04:08 PM
I see what you're saying to a degree, but there's definitely some opportunities. Out of 10 online games, I've thrown for over 300 3 times, and 2 of those I was only a few yards shy of 400. Man coverage is probably over effective, simply because they do know where the WR is running his route and often times beats him to the spot. Zone is kind of a pain because the Super LBs of past years have made a return, but like I said, it is manageable. Hopefully this is something they can either live patch online, or at least something they can fix in a title update/game patch.

souljahbill
07-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I remember in '10, the D-line would knock down passes all day. Now it appears that LB's have super hops and knock down a lot of passes.

griffin2608
07-15-2010, 04:16 PM
I dont know if you are talking about user vs user or vs cpu or both but the pass d for the cpu is outrageous on heisman. Lowering the pass coverage slider helps dont think that it will make a difference on user vs user

UGA14
07-15-2010, 07:58 PM
I think the pass D sucks on just about all levels... unless your team sucks, and even then the only reason I'm missing passes is because of my worthless rated QB.

I took San Jose State against Alabama and held it tight but the fact that my QB can't hit wide open guys was laughable...

Now when playing as Georgia my completion percentage with my QB is above 80% on Heisman. It's not me throwing dump-offs either, it's me throwing for 300+ a game.

I OU a Beatn
07-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Just threw for 381 as Texas Tech online against Notre Dame. Granted, I threw it just about every down and I had 2 or 3 30+ yard gains, but my opponent sat in man and Cover 3. Although it did give me fits at time, I was usually able to string enough plays together to win.

Texas Tech's playbook is pretty nifty. I've been running the Oregon/Florida spreads mostly so far this year, and running the Air Raid for once was quite fun. If I'm not mistaken, I got my highest point total of the year as well with a very modest 30.

Oneback
07-15-2010, 08:57 PM
If you guys that are throwing for 300+ yards with ease please share what you are doing. Both myself and my opponents are lucky to get to 200 total yards let alone 300 yards passing. Now I am playing guys that are on my friends list/guys that are in my online dynasty and we are completely shutting everything down in online non-dynasty games.

souljahbill
07-15-2010, 09:41 PM
If you guys that are throwing for 300+ yards with ease please share what you are doing. Both myself and my opponents are lucky to get to 200 total yards let alone 300 yards passing. Now I am playing guys that are on my friends list/guys that are in my online dynasty and we are completely shutting everything down in online non-dynasty games.

No joke. No one is EVER open for me and the CPU pass rush comes quickly.

gschwendt
07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Try one of the Air Raid playbooks. I just played as Houston vs Arizona (Kingpin) and I threw for just over 300 yards. He threw for 236 (but ran it more than I did). In the very next game, I played as USC vs Miami (skipwondah33) and I threw for 13 passing yards.

Obviously the two teams I used are complete opposites in terms of offense philosophy and I was facing a considerably weaker defense in Arizona compared to Miami, but at least something to play with.

Kingpin32
07-15-2010, 10:52 PM
In the game that me and G played a little while ago, G threw for 304 yds, while I threw for 236. Given we were both using pass happy teams and playbooks, I did notice a lot of the aggravations this game gives with passing defense. One thing that bugged me was there were a lot of passes where if I could've switched to the player I personally could have prevented, but the game would always switch me to another player not involved in the play.

Kingpin32
07-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Try one of the Air Raid playbooks. I just played as Houston vs Arizona (Kingpin) and I threw for just over 300 yards. He threw for 236 (but ran it more than I did). In the very next game, I played as USC vs Miami (skipwondah33) and I threw for 13 passing yards.

Obviously the two teams I used are complete opposites in terms of offense philosophy and I was facing a considerably weaker defense in Arizona compared to Miami, but at least something to play with.

Yeah my defensive guys aren't as good as I thought they were. That's something I hope I can fix in the OD after a few seasons. But I think that's also a good point about the defenses of the higher powered teams, cause I played a game against OSU and couldn't get any passing game going.

I OU a Beatn
07-15-2010, 10:54 PM
I would suggest running a lot of short routes like drags, flares, screens, etc... Once you get those working, the defense is more than likely going to start playing man or cover 2, which is the perfect time to start looking for deeper crossing routes, posts/corners, or even some seem routes or fades. I know the game I had earlier with Texas Tech, I absolutely murdered the guy with seem routes. He sat in Cover 3 and as soon as my slot would break past the LB, I'd fire a bullet in there before he'd get to the safety and I had enormous success with it.

delarge05
07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Biggest thing I learned with this years game is that you need to run the ball to open up the pass. I will run the ball down the opponents throat and then mix in a PA out of my running sets and a lot of guys use the saftey so they bite and pow the wr or te is wide open bc they r commiting up to the run. I just finished a game where i ran for 180 yds and was 8-10 for 222 yds and two tds. Try to be 70-30 at least thats my plan. Im 15-2 and in the top 100 bc of it.

jaymo76
07-15-2010, 11:07 PM
No joke. No one is EVER open for me and the CPU pass rush comes quickly.

Yup, same here. The most I have thrown for is 244 yards... that was today. The dbs run the routes better than the receivers a lot of the time. The most effective passing I have found is to swing the QB to the outs and then V line the pass. I know a lot of people say passing is too easy but I have played poorly this year re: passing.

AMagicianNamedGOB
07-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Is anyone else peeved/found a solution by/to the mirroring that occurs? I threw a touchdown pass after the corner ran the route better than my receiver and got ahead by 3 yards.

UGA14
07-16-2010, 01:22 AM
I run a lot of routes with breaks.. middle of the field. Stand in the pocket and fire... if it doesn't work I hit my dump down. I go for high percentage completions to move down the field... works for me. Given my last game I was only 8 of 13 for 113 yards, for the most part I'm having success.

Throw the ball as soon as the guy breaks. If you wait the DB is going to be there waiting.

psusnoop
07-16-2010, 06:44 AM
I've pretty much assumed that if I need to pass the ball I'm going to lose. I never was good at it, I guess my wife is right when she says I'm so damn impatient at times because it really shows in my passing game.

So I tout the rock for 25+ carries a game and hope for the best. I just played my one friend as USF and him Duke (are two online dynasty teams) and I pounded the rock 16 times for 370yds against him. I was 1-1 passing for 64yds and 1 TD. Not a bad day in my eyes. LOL

souljahbill
07-16-2010, 07:19 AM
My starting receivers are never my leading receivers. It's always either my TE, Slot Receiver, RB. Even if the outside receiver is a beast, I just can't get them the ball enough because they never seem to get open fast enough.

Rudy
07-16-2010, 08:49 AM
My starting receivers are never my leading receivers. It's always either my TE, Slot Receiver, RB. Even if the outside receiver is a beast, I just can't get them the ball enough because they never seem to get open fast enough.

I've always had that problem. The timing has to be crucial which is why I love good TEs.

AustinWolv
07-16-2010, 10:06 AM
My receivers have always led my team in this version, even the outside guys out of the spread. In past versions, it was usually a slot, HB, or TE that would have the most receptions.

mundo
07-16-2010, 10:27 AM
I have had quite a bit of success against the computer on AA and heisman. I use bubbles and screens a lot but they probably only average 5 yards or so. Most of the time my success is the deep middle of the field and (as stated above) timing the pass on the break. I have also noticed that it seems like the DBs do a better job of jumping the out routes than the ins and drags, but I could be hallucinating.

I OU a Beatn
07-16-2010, 10:33 AM
Just threw for 401 with Houston and their playbook against Michigan. Good Lord, that offense is completely loaded. I'm also eager to try out Boise State, who looks like they probably have the best offense in the entire game.

Anyway, I'm falling in love with Seam Routes. I can not tell you just how handy they are when your opponent is sitting in Cover 3 and jumping over everything underneath.

mundo
07-16-2010, 11:19 AM
Just threw for 401 with Houston and their playbook against Michigan. Good Lord, that offense is completely loaded. I'm also eager to try out Boise State, who looks like they probably have the best offense in the entire game.

Anyway, I'm falling in love with Seam Routes. I can not tell you just how handy they are when your opponent is sitting in Cover 3 and jumping over everything underneath.

This is Human vs Human? I am finding that in cover 3 it is an automatic completion for the cpu when i call it

I OU a Beatn
07-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Yeah, this is online against another human. I run a lot of Cover 3 myself and it usually does a pretty good job as long as I patrol the middle with a LB manually.

PigSooie
07-16-2010, 11:35 AM
At first, I sucked at passing with 11, lots of drops and such ... but after a couple of games I got used to the timing ... and the touch on passes ... I think that's a key. Since then, It hasn't been too easy or too hard for me at all.

Not much, but a couple of things I follow, hope this helps anyone who is struggling with passing the football:

Know your play and your receivers. Know where they are going and what they are good at, so that you can react to what the defense throws at you.

I've found that reading what the safeties are doing helps a lot with passing much as it does in real life. (i.e. -- If they split into Cover Two zones, always try to attack the deep and mid-range middle of the field ... If they blitz go to a deep man on that side of the field, if you have one since, he'll be in one on one coverage with the CB). Also watch for blitzing linebackers at the snap and throw to the open spaces that they vacate (smashed a guy online when he kept blitzing two of his linebackers on every play, I'd just read who was coming at the snap and threw to the wideout/TE in the open space).

Someone else said this already, but it's very important to throw to WRs when they make their final cuts and to not just hammer hold the pass buttons on mid routes, yeah you want to get it there but (much like Ryan Mallett in Arkansas) not everything has to be 110 mph. I notice that doing that caused a lot of drops for me when I first got the game. I found a happy passing button pushing medium and it's worked for me ever since.

morsdraconis
07-16-2010, 12:09 PM
I need to get back into my passing groove.

I did play WVU vs WVU (testing balanced sliders for the community slider thread) and threw for 330 yards. Abused some seam routes and I LOVE WVU's playbook and the slant/bubble screen combo. That shit is AWESOME.

And boy oh boy is the empty set with Devine on one side of the slot and Tavon Austin in the other side of the slot DEADLY. That stuff is disgustingly easy to abuse.

I need to play with Texas Tech or something to force myself to get used to throwing against crazy hard coverages with defenses baring down on me.