PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku: If Not This Year, Women’s Soccer Will Be In Video Games Soon

cdj
08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
It's inevitable that women will appear as playable athletes in a football title, the executive producer of the FIFA video game series told a petition organizer. But it's far too late for that to happen in FIFA 13, and he couldn't commit to any future year in which it might for his series.

Still, whatever is done needs to be done right, David Rutter told Fernanda Schabarum, a 29-year-old gamer living in South Florida. It can't be a token tack-on feature, and certainly not a downloadable game or extension that sends a message that women play a second-class sport.
"He said it's going to happen at some point, and he hopes EA is the one to do it, and do it right," Schabarum told Kotaku. In an interview, Rutter said the same thing to Kotaku, too.

The two sides met because earlier this month Schabarum initiated a petition calling on EA Sports to put women, specifically women's national teams, in its FIFA series, which holds licenses to depict dozens of high profile professional and national teams throughout the world. Though most Internet petitions, especially on the subject of video games, get little traction or response from the publishers they address, this one caught EA Sports' attention (http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-ea-sports-to-include-female-characters-on-their-soccer-games).

That said, it asks the kind of question Rutter says he faces annually. "I remember vividly being in Cologne (for Gamescom 2011) and being approached by journalist after journalist about the Women's World Cup [happening that year]

"The same answer then is the same answer now," Rutter said. "Every year, a vast quantity of suggestions for inclusion comes into our studio. We have to whittle it down to what we can make in one year. It's a case of prioritizing what needs to be done, and then we do our best to knock it out of the park in whatever we're doing. But [women in the game] is always something considered in some shape or form, and it's not to say it won't ever happen."

Schabarum, a psychologist who grew up as a passionate football fan in her native Brazil, seemed to accept Rutter's answer. "They've got to wait for the right time," she said. "It's a marketing matter. We talked about the Mia Hamm game [Mia Hamm 64 Soccer for the Nintendo 64] and he agreed, yes, that was a disaster. That was a good example of the wrong timing and the wrong approach."

Click here to read the full article from Owen Good (http://kotaku.com/5937094/if-not-this-year-womens-soccer-will-be-in-video-game-soon-says-fifa-producer)

steelerfan
08-27-2012, 12:14 AM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

morsdraconis
08-27-2012, 04:57 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I fuckin' LOVE that meme. OMG!