PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption

JBHuskers
05-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Who's getting it (or got it)? I've got this baby pre-ordered and can't wait to dig into it next week!

cdj
05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Really tempted, but think I will hold off for a while. Looks like a blast though.

Flav
05-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Really tempted, but think I will hold off for a while. Looks like a blast though.

You should buy it and get it for the 360. We can hunt bison together.

I'm getting my copy in a little bit today. I'll have impressions

Rudy
05-14-2010, 04:11 PM
My brother's picking this up. He loves westerns and have been drooling over this game for awhile. I'm going check it out at his place. With MLB 2K10 and NCAA 11 coming out in June, I'm not sure how much non sports gaming time I'll have. I'm more inclined to look at Transformers and I still want to complete the evil campaign in inFamous.

cdj
05-15-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm getting my copy in a little bit today. I'll have impressions

So what do you think?

ebgames is offering free overnight on RDR this weekend, so I caved and will be getting it on PS3.

Flav
05-15-2010, 12:52 PM
This game is the best game I've ever played, no exaggeration. You will not get bored of this game, the map is 4 times bigger than San Andreas (which is pretty big). I'm pretty confused with story mode right now but I've only did 1 mission. I'm about to hop online and try that out.

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I decided to not go to the midnight release tonight mainly because I just got back from St. Louis last night, and still trying to get readjusted from the four days away (was an hour late to work today LOL) .... so I'll be paitent and get it after work tomorrow. But then of course the Celtics and Flyers are on Tuesday too :(

UGA14
05-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I may pick it up tomorrow. I'd like to see if I passed all of my classes this semester. I'm 1 away from graduating and of course the one I'm not sure about hasn't been posted, despite the fact that the deadline was 3 hours ago. Annoying.

Flav
05-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I may pick it up tomorrow. I'd like to see if I passed all of my classes this semester. I'm 1 away from graduating and of course the one I'm not sure about hasn't been posted, despite the fact that the deadline was 3 hours ago. Annoying.

Blah, that'd be so nerve wrecking haha.

We should start a posse and eff stuff up :)

BlindRedBaron
05-17-2010, 03:10 PM
It definitely looks pretty sick, but I'm thinking I'll probably hold off as well... I'll get it later if I'm so inclined, but I don't really have the time to dedicate to it right now. But it sounds pretty fun...

Hey BigBlue, go shoot a bison for me

I OU a Beatn
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Getting it tonight at midnight. I've been eagerly awaiting it for quite awhile, so I'm pretty excited.

Flav
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
It definitely looks pretty sick, but I'm thinking I'll probably hold off as well... I'll get it later if I'm so inclined, but I don't really have the time to dedicate to it right now. But it sounds pretty fun...

Hey BigBlue, go shoot a bison for me

I've shot plenty so far. I'm working my way up to the bears now.

Getting it tonight at midnight. I've been eagerly awaiting it for quite awhile, so I'm pretty excited.

This game is amazing. You are going to LOVE IT! Only game in my console besides Fifa World Cup until NCAA 11 :)

I OU a Beatn
05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
It should take me straight through to NCAA 11 as well. Other than ModNation Racers coming out next week, Red Dead is about the only game I plan on getting between now and July.

steelerfan
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
C'mon guys, I know some more of you have this game now. Thoughts? I'm VERY tempted.....

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I got it last night at midnight and have probably played about 4 hours of single player and 2 hours of multiplayer so far. It's an amazingly beautiful looking game. Everything is just amazing. The character models are top notch, the environmental details are awesome, and everything behaves the way you would expect. It's basically GTA IV with basically every error it had improved, a much more varied mission structure, a much more fun multiplayer, all rolled together and thrown into a western theme.

If you like open world action games, this is probably the king of them all. Must buy, IMO.

Rudy
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I was one of the few that didn't like GTA IV. It just felt like I had done it before and the gameplay felt stale. The fighting mechanics just felt limited. I liked inFamous so much better. It had a GTA style open world and missions but the gameplay was just so much fun because you were a superhero with a lot of different lighting powers. Is this game fun just because you can run around and be a jerk and destroy stuff or is the actual gameplay unique and interesting? How is the hand fighting and shooting?

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Well, the strength of Rockstar games is the free roam, open world, do whatever the hell you want structure. However, the story line and missions are top notch so far. The characters are interesting and really suck you into wanting to know more about them. The actual gameplay is fun and has a ton of replay value. Whether it be highjacking trains, slaughtering people, playing poker, getting drunk, playing online, killing animals, or whatever, it's all fun and fits in great with the game. The fighting itself is very similar to GTA IV, but it just feels a lot better, IMO. Honestly, it's one of the few games I'd give a perfect 10/10.

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I picked it up last night, however fell asleep early. Definitely am going to dig into this one tonight.

cdj
05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
Man, this is a fun game.

I keep hitting Select for the Map (wrong) and try hitting R2 to go faster instead of X, so the controls will annoy me until I get that under control. Otherwise, nothing to complain about and that issue is my own fault.

I OU a Beatn
05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, it's a blast. I have been spending most of my time doing some missions and side missions, haven't even had the time to play online much. I'm not a fan of the controls, either, but you get used to them after awhile. This game is massive, though. I've loved every second of it so far.

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Yeah I love it too....haven't gotten too far, but it's a blast. Lots of different things the mix up the action and it's just in the beginning.

Schauwn
05-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Everyone keeps saying this game is so great, I might have to give it a rent...

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Played some poker last night....the poker is pretty well done. I see from the trophies you can play horseshoes too....and CDJ told me something about Five Finger Fillet (the game where you put your hand down on the table and stab a knife between the fingers LOL).

JBHuskers
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Got myself the lasso last night LOL .... gonna have some fun with that.

Played some horseshoes last night, that minigame was really well done.

I think this will be game of the year, unless Fallout: New Vegas has some real surprises (granted that game is also going to be very badass).

gschwendt
05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I've played through a ton of this game in Singleplayer already and it's definitely well worth the hype. I haven't played the multiplayer yet but it looks good as well.

JBHuskers
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I've played through a ton of this game in Singleplayer already and it's definitely well worth the hype. I haven't played the multiplayer yet but it looks good as well.

We'll have to get a posse goin' YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!

texacotea
05-21-2010, 07:00 PM
got it today, played some singleplayer but will def have to get up together

cdj
05-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Let's plan on a Gaming Tailgate online night next week for RDR.

What night works best for you guys? Also, list your system.

PS3 - Any evening works for me as far as I know.

texacotea
05-21-2010, 08:11 PM
any except for tues

texacotea - PS3

Flav
05-21-2010, 08:29 PM
You should of got it for the 360 :/

joshuahuskers
05-22-2010, 03:09 PM
I think I'm going to pick this up for the 360 later on today.

cdj
05-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Today only, RDR is $50 at Amazon.

cdj
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
According to in-game stats, I'm over 26% complete! Great game.

Monday or Wednesday night for some multiplayer?

Flav
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM

46% complete :P

JBHuskers
05-23-2010, 04:17 PM

I don't think either night will work well for me this week, but I'll have to catch up sometime. Tuesday or Thursday look good though.

cdj
05-23-2010, 04:43 PM
46% complete :P

Dang. So have you completed the main mission?

I don't think either night will work well for me this week, but I'll have to catch up sometime. Tuesday or Thursday look good though.

How about Thursday for everyone? That would give us more time to create awareness.

gschwendt
05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Thursday should work for me.

texacotea
05-23-2010, 08:47 PM
thursday is good, won while cheating at poker today, also got caught and killed a couple people while dueling.

Hate it when I try to help a bystander and all they do is rob me or take my horse

I OU a Beatn
05-23-2010, 09:11 PM
I love it when they try to steal my horse. It gives me a free kill and some money. :D

steelerfan
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Thursday works for me on PS3. Just picked it up tonight.

I OU a Beatn
05-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Finally get to go to Mexico. I'm 30%+ into the game and I still haven't seen a bear.

JBHuskers
05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm around 24.3% I've spent 50 minutes playing poker LOL ....

cdj
05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
OK, let's make Thursday night RDR night online! I'll make a widget announcing it on front page later today. 8 PM CT work as a solid starting point?

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 08:15 AM
OK, let's make Thursday night RDR night online! I'll make a widget announcing it on front page later today. 8 PM CT work as a solid starting point?

Yeah that time works.

steelerfan
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeah that time works.

Sounds good here too.

texacotea
05-24-2010, 12:55 PM
im good with that

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 03:45 PM
We now have created a widget on the main page www.thegamingtailgate.com and a new thread to discuss our Game With The Gaming Tailgate nights - http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?167-Game-With-The-Gaming-Tailgate-Thread

Flav
05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Just got to 70% completion :) :p

steelerfan
05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm having a lot of issues with the game freezing. I remember I had similar issues with GTA IV. Anyone else have this or have any explanation?

Flav
05-24-2010, 05:08 PM
This was the gayest ending ever

steelerfan
05-25-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm having a lot of issues with the game freezing. I remember I had similar issues with GTA IV. Anyone else have this or have any explanation?

Anyone? It's almost unplayable. It mostly freezes during or right after cut scenes or mini games. Very frustrating.

cdj
05-25-2010, 09:19 PM
Finally get to go to Mexico. I'm 30%+ into the game and I still haven't seen a bear.

Just hit that same point, about 36% in.

Anyone? It's almost unplayable. It mostly freezes during or right after cut scenes or mini games. Very frustrating.

Haven't had one freeze, but have had it where I lose the ability to interact with characters. I then reload from the last checkpoint and things work out.

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 09:36 PM
I had one freeze where it actually turned my screen black and then kicked me back to the XMB without me touching anything. Only happened once, though, and other than that it's been running perfectly.

steelerfan
05-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Haven't had one freeze, but have had it where I lose the ability to interact with characters. I then reload from the last checkpoint and things work out.

It freezes to the point that I have to turn it off by hand. I don't know wtf. Makes me worry about my system though. I've been having occasional graphical foul ups with a few other games (notably NHL and NCAA).

gschwendt
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM
It freezes to the point that I have to turn it off by hand. I don't know wtf. Makes me worry about my system though. I've been having occasional graphical foul ups with a few other games (notably NHL and NCAA).
Sounds like you're experiencing the same thing I was when I finally gave up on my system. I would occasionally have hard lockups (no XMB) in some games but would ALWAYS happen when I tried to play Little Big Planet in just about the same exact spot every time. I traded my fatty in when the Slim was released because they were running a special for like $200 trade in credit or something like that.

How often does it happen? Is it generally after a specific period of time or a specific instance?

steelerfan
05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Sounds like you're experiencing the same thing I was when I finally gave up on my system. I would occasionally have hard lockups (no XMB) in some games but would ALWAYS happen when I tried to play Little Big Planet in just about the same exact spot every time. I traded my fatty in when the Slim was released because they were running a special for like $200 trade in credit or something like that.

How often does it happen? Is it generally after a specific period of time or a specific instance?

No, it seems pretty random although with RDR it's mostly (80%) during or right after cut scenes or mini games.

cdj
05-26-2010, 07:45 AM
steelerfan - what if you delete the install file in the Game Data Utility and reinstall? Not your save files, but the big initial install. IIRC, sometimes doing that helps with issues and freezes, but if you are seeing this on other games it is likely a console issue.

Violator
05-26-2010, 09:40 AM
anyone got 100% on it yet? u got it at 1 day 10 hours and 1 min played. just wonder what the fastest time to get to 100% is.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 10:30 AM
I'm not even remotely close. I've like 40% in with 20 hours played, but I've been really taking my time with the missions in favor of dicking around. I just got to Mexico the other day.

gschwendt
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I'm at 91% I believe. Not sure my playtime but I imagine it's more than Violator's. I think I've completed most if not all of the missions but I have a few flower picking journals left, on level 5 of the hunting, and level 9 of sharpshooter (getting that final is going to be a bitch).

UGA14
05-26-2010, 10:48 AM
I've been just riding around more than anything. I'm not even sure where I'm at. I know I'm in Mexico. That's all I remember.

cdj
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Who's all planning to be online tomorrow night? I'm excited for RDR night online.

morsdraconis
05-26-2010, 12:18 PM
I wish you guys were playing on the 360 instead of the PS3....

I'd be up to play with some people on the 360 though and I'll definitely be around at that time. Just send me a friend request for whoever wants to organize it.

360 - morsdraconis

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 12:31 PM
steelerfan - what if you delete the install file in the Game Data Utility and reinstall? Not your save files, but the big initial install. IIRC, sometimes doing that helps with issues and freezes, but if you are seeing this on other games it is likely a console issue.

I'll give this a shot. I'm not really having freeze issues with other titles, just random graphical foul ups. Thanks, I'll let you know if it helps.

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I tried it, cdj, but to no avail. Is there any way to safely clean the PS3? Like a disc cleaner or something?

steelerfan
05-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Who's all planning to be online tomorrow night? I'm excited for RDR night online.

BTW, I was planning on it but I just found out I'm working 2 pm to midnight. If I get out early (that happens alot), I'll try to join in.

Violator
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm at 91% I believe. Not sure my playtime but I imagine it's more than Violator's. I think I've completed most if not all of the missions but I have a few flower picking journals left, on level 5 of the hunting, and level 9 of sharpshooter (getting that final is going to be a bitch).

the flower picking thing had me for awhile, then realized that the survilaist map showed them from farther away. yeah wouldve helped if i didnt figure it out on rank 8. the final sharpshooter, if your talking about disarming 6 guys w/o reloading isnt as bad as i thought it would be. just do a bounty and grab the mauser or the rifle that shoots 22 and i just went into deadeye and only shot their hands. got it on 1 deadeye. the bounty up in tall trees i did mine on.

JBHuskers
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
Just about done with the main offline story. Pretty interesting that:

After Butch dies, the story isn't over as the "redemption" part with Marsden's family goes on afterwards.

Thought it was different and good at the same time. Should be finished later tonight.

JBHuskers
06-08-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/08/red-dead-redemption-surpasses-5-million-units-shipped/

5 million units shipped....very impressive. Love this game.

Flav
06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Did you finish the full story mode?

I OU a Beatn
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Outlaws to the End Co-Op Pack is out now for both PS3 and 360. Best of all - it's free! However, considering it's 15MB in size, I'd say it's already on the disc. :D Sneaky sneaky, Rockstar.

SmoothPancakes
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Damn, I completely forget the DLC was coming out today. Considering I haven't played RDR since the 10th, it may be time to take a short break from the links and jump on RDR and get back into it again.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Outlaws to the End Co-Op Pack is out now for both PS3 and 360. Best of all - it's free! However, considering it's 15MB in size, I'd say it's already on the disc. :D Sneaky sneaky, Rockstar.

You know it LOL

Damn, I completely forget the DLC was coming out today. Considering I haven't played RDR since the 10th, it may be time to take a short break from the links and jump on RDR and get back into it again.

Yeah I haven't played much lately mainly due to Tiger 11. I definitely wanna try to get 100%.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah I haven't played much lately mainly due to Tiger 11. I definitely wanna try to get 100%.

Yeah, that's been my problem. That, and I bought a bunch of year or two old $10-$20 games that I had my eye on when they first came out, but never bought because I didn't feel like spending $60 at the time. Even after 3 or 4 days, I've still only played two of them, with a couple left to still put in my xbox for the first time. Too much Tiger 11 takes away playing time from those other games, lol.

I reached 100% within probably a week or week and a half of buying RDR. I can definitely say that I played the hell out of it when I first got it. Now it's just working on my character on RDR multiplayer and getting the remaining main achievements for the 1000, as well as the new DLC achievements.

I OU a Beatn
06-23-2010, 12:43 AM
I finished off level 50 on multiplayer tonight, so I have the most time consuming(and annoying) one out of the way. I haven't played much of the single player, but now that I have most of the multiplayer stuff done, I'll have more time to focus on that.

SmoothPancakes
06-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I finished off level 50 on multiplayer tonight, so I have the most time consuming(and annoying) one out of the way. I haven't played much of the single player, but now that I have most of the multiplayer stuff done, I'll have more time to focus on that.

Yeah, I'm slowly getting there. I think I'm sitting at level 33 right now. I would probably be level 50 by now if I had played RDR at all between the 10th and today, but I'll get there eventually. Then it's just going back through it all again to do the Legends ranks.

JBHuskers
06-23-2010, 01:18 AM

That takes a long time huh?

I OU a Beatn
07-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Rockstar has detailed its full DLC plans for Red Dead Redemption. And guess what? It's getting a zombie mode.

Four packs of add-on downloadable content will be released on PSN and Xbox Live over the next few months - starting with the Legends and Killers Pack at the beginning of August 2010.

The series will culminate with the Red Dead Redemption 'Undead Nightmare' Pack in the autumn. That's the one with zombies - as if we needed to tell you.

The news follows the release of the free Outlaws To The End Co-Op Mission Pack last month.

"We want to continue to provide Red Dead Redemption's fans with a steady supply of innovative new content," said Sam Houser, founder of Rockstar Games.

"Our goal is to continue to pack as much entertaining gameplay and as many surprises as we can into the massive world of Red Dead Redemption over the coming months."

The upcoming downloadable content for Red Dead Redemption includes:

Legends and Killers Pack

New active map locations, characters and more:

* Release date: beginning of August 2010;
* 9 new multiplayer map locations -- more than doubling the amount of territories in the multiplayer competitive modes;
* 8 new multiplayer characters -- play as characters from Red Dead Revolver;
* Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding challenges for single-player and multiplayer gameplay;
* New achievements and trophies;
* Pricing: $9.99 (PlayStation Network), 800 Microsoft Points (Xbox LIVE).

Liars and Cheats Pack

New competitive modes, multiplayer mini-games in Free Roam, and more:

* Release date: TBC;
* Attack and Defend multiplayer competitive mode and challenges;
* New multiplayer horse races, complete with mounted combat;
* Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption, as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters;
* Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game;
* Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated challenges available in single-player and multiplayer gameplay;
* New achievements and trophies;

Free Roam Pack

Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with new modes, challenges and gang hideouts to discover:

* Additional Free Roam challenges;
* New action areas and defensive placements;
* Posse scoring and leaderboards;
* New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam;
* Pricing: TBC.

Undead Nightmare Pack

Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong:

* Brand new single-player adventure, challenges and quests;
* 8 new multiplayer zombie characters;
* Additional animals unleashed in the world;
* New dynamic events and more;

More details and other updates will be revealed closer to each release.

Source (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255042)

SmoothPancakes
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Oh that is gonna be sweet! Autumn can't get here fast enough!

JBHuskers
07-09-2010, 01:39 AM
Very stoked about this! And since I had to format my HDD due to a new system, I'll probably go through the single player again too.

oweb26
07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I have already gotten rid of mine, I didnt really see myself playing this game after I beat it. I still dont see myself playing it even with new DLC

texacotea
07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
anyone want to buy mine?

HuskerBlitz
07-22-2010, 12:09 AM
We just picked this game up tonight (impulse buy). Pretty fun, even though we are late to the party.

HuskerBlitz
07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
Does anyone play this game online anymore (in general, not just here)? My son cannot find other players online anywhere. I have the master account and he's playing under his account. Does that matter?

I OU a Beatn
07-22-2010, 09:01 PM
It shouldn't matter what type of account he has. I haven't played in quite awhile, but the matchmaking for the online was always really shitty. It would often times put me in a game where it was just me versus one other player. There were a few instances where it would have me alone against like 8 on the other team, too. I'm pretty sure the next patch coming addresses it.

HuskerBlitz
07-22-2010, 09:45 PM
I think it has to do with my NAT 3. Damn, I hate not being able to get a NAT 1 or 2.:mad:

JBHuskers
07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
I know Violator had a NAT3 problem a long time ago. Not sure how he got it to a NAT2.

HuskerBlitz
07-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Shadez had the same issue as I do, but he was able to bridge his modem and get it to work. I can't however, because our modem is still owned by the internet company and they will not allow us to bridge it.

I OU a Beatn
07-23-2010, 05:55 PM
That's probably your problem then. If your modem and router both have a firewall, then it's impossible to get NAT 1 or 2 unless you disable one of them and open the other one up.

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Had to get a new modem after screwing up my last one trying different things to get it to work. This one gives me a Nat 2 and was finally able to play my scheduled online dynasty match.

And it works for this game as well and having tons of fun with it. In fact, it's taking a lot of valuable NCAA time from me! :D

If anyone is still playing this, I'd love to play online with some of you guys.

ram29jackson
08-06-2010, 04:15 PM
a game like this should be solid for a year or more. i'm suprised to read of not finding people online.

HuskerBlitz
08-06-2010, 04:35 PM
a game like this should be solid for a year or more. i'm suprised to read of not finding people online.

That had more to do with our connection settings. We played several online games last night with the max allowed (8 I believe) in some of the online games.

I OU a Beatn
08-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I burned myself out on it. I got to level 50 and then just stopped playing. The new DLC will more than likely get me back into it when it releases, especially the zombie one.

JeffHCross
08-06-2010, 09:45 PM
The new Free download of the 30 minute "short film" made with RDR is pretty good. Worth checking out (on the PS Store, and presumably Marketplace)

HuskerBlitz
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
The new Free download of the 30 minute "short film" made with RDR is pretty good. Worth checking out (on the PS Store, and presumably Marketplace)

You can watch it on Youtube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZUUVV2rjoc

UGA14
08-07-2010, 08:17 AM
That video was on television... like Fox or something one day. Impressive.

CLW
08-13-2010, 10:03 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about this game. I'm finally getting it from the fine folks at GameFly. Hopefully, it arrives this afternoon. Between NCAA, Uncharted 2 and This Game I should be set for a weekend of gaming with the wife out of town.

morsdraconis
08-13-2010, 11:51 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about this game. I'm finally getting it from the fine folks at GameFly. Hopefully, it arrives this afternoon. Between NCAA, Uncharted 2 and This Game I should be set for a weekend of gaming with the wife out of town.

If you like Grand Theft Auto at all, you'll LOVE this game. Me personally, I hated all the Grand Theft Auto games and didn't care much for this game either though the setting and environments are AMAZING, they REALLY outdid themselves there.

ebin
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I should be set for a weekend of gaming with the wife out of town.

Lucky bastard! :D

CLW
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Lucky bastard! :D

Meh I travel allot for business so I get quite a bit of time to myself and the wife works 80+ hours a week as a resident physician so I have lots of time alone even when I'm home.

This game is insanely deep and I SUCK at it big time. I've never been good at shooters. I keep trying to get bounties on fugitives and I kill the guy and then a hoard of bad guys track me down from behind on my way back and they kill me. LOL

SmoothPancakes
08-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Meh I travel allot for business so I get quite a bit of time to myself and the wife works 80+ hours a week as a resident physician so I have lots of time alone even when I'm home.

This game is insanely deep and I SUCK at it big time. I've never been good at shooters. I keep trying to get bounties on fugitives and I kill the guy and then a hoard of bad guys track me down from behind on my way back and they kill me. LOL

Wait until you get to the part late in the game when get access to the area where you can be just riding along and suddenly be under attack by about 10 cougars. Or if you enter another area, also late in the game, and you kill one bear you come across, and all of a sudden, there are about 5 bears charging you from multiple directions. Lets just say, they get anywhere near your horse, you're screwed!

My very first time going up into cougar country when I got access to the area, I found that out the hard way. 7-10 cougars stalking me and me trying to escape them. They killed my horse right under my feet, then killed me. Then the bastards proceeded to spawn kill me about 10 times because the game spawned me in the same area and I was instantly rushed by 4 or 5 cougars each time, not being able to kill them fast enough before one killed me. And yet I oddly was continuously laughing and enjoying it every single death.

CLW
08-16-2010, 06:50 AM
Wait until you get to the part late in the game when get access to the area where you can be just riding along and suddenly be under attack by about 10 cougars. Or if you enter another area, also late in the game, and you kill one bear you come across, and all of a sudden, there are about 5 bears charging you from multiple directions. Lets just say, they get anywhere near your horse, you're screwed!

My very first time going up into cougar country when I got access to the area, I found that out the hard way. 7-10 cougars stalking me and me trying to escape them. They killed my horse right under my feet, then killed me. Then the bastards proceeded to spawn kill me about 10 times because the game spawned me in the same area and I was instantly rushed by 4 or 5 cougars each time, not being able to kill them fast enough before one killed me. And yet I oddly was continuously laughing and enjoying it every single death.

That's funny.

Just curious are you "supposed" to go home each night and sleep? The reason I ask is I am having enormous problems once night fall comes. I tend to die nearly every night. LOL it's almost a ritual at this point.

SmoothPancakes
08-16-2010, 07:39 AM
That's funny.

Just curious are you "supposed" to go home each night and sleep? The reason I ask is I am having enormous problems once night fall comes. I tend to die nearly every night. LOL it's almost a ritual at this point.

No, you can keep on riding around and working on tasks throughout the night. I personally usually go to sleep when it gets dark out, but that's mainly because I play a lot during the late afternoons, with the sun at the right angle to shine directly in the windows of my game room, and so it makes trying to see things in the pitch black darkness in RDR a hell of a task. So I sleep through the night hours and do all my tasks and everything during the daylight hours.

CLW
08-16-2010, 09:23 AM
No, you can keep on riding around and working on tasks throughout the night. I personally usually go to sleep when it gets dark out, but that's mainly because I play a lot during the late afternoons, with the sun at the right angle to shine directly in the windows of my game room, and so it makes trying to see things in the pitch black darkness in RDR a hell of a task. So I sleep through the night hours and do all my tasks and everything during the daylight hours.

Yeah I can't see squat on my SD t.v. once night comes.

HuskerBlitz
08-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I can't believe I'm going to have to redo EVERYTHING once I get a new PS3. I was over 60% done with well over $8000 in cash and had just gotten into Blackwater to play with the bears. :smh:

CLW
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I LOVE this game (and I wasn't that big of a GTA guy). After getting killed repeatedly I decided to just start completely over and I am starting to figure things out. Now, I just sit and play Hold Em' at night.

cdj
08-17-2010, 10:56 AM
CLW - I also found RDR to be more engrossing and enjoyable than GTA IV.

When it comes to online, even right after launch I found it tough to get in rooms/areas that were highly populated. I had to sit and slowly wait for people to show up and even then they were never packed.

steelerfan
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Did anyone purchase the DLC? I have the free one and I still don't even know wtf it did. Are they both for online only? I didn't play too much online.

HuskerBlitz
08-17-2010, 05:56 PM
There's one coming out that adds I think like 8 new single player missions. The rest I think are pretty much online stuff.

Is it bad that I miss playing this game more than NCAA? :o

I OU a Beatn
08-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I miss playing it, but every time I sit down to play, I either play NCAA, or currently Madden. Mark my words, I WILL beat this game at some point, hopefully before the single player DLC comes out.

JBHuskers
10-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Jackalopes!

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/10/reddeadredemptionjackalope530.jpg

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/05/red-dead-redemption-adding-free-outfits-and-jackalopes/

steelerfan
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Ha! I debated trading RDR in when NHL dropped since it was still fetching 27.50. I never trade games in, I just was tempted since I beat the story mode.

I need to play this once in a while to justify keeping it. We should have another TGT RDR night.

SmoothPancakes
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I just finally popped this back into the tray for the first time in probably 2 months. God I missed this game, lol. I had some extra MP just sitting around, so I went and bought the Liars and Cheats DLC, and it's actually a lot of fun. 4 new hunting grounds, 7 new gang hideouts, some new multiplayer modes, you can now play Liar's Dice (I love playing LD in single player) and poker in multiplayer. Definitely worth the 800 MP compared to the Legends and Killers DLC which I have no plans on ever getting unless the price ever goes down to like 100 MP or something.

CLW
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Damn I need to get busy on this game. I kinda let it sit there for quite awhile. Love me some GameFly

JBHuskers
10-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Good news for Playstation Plus members, the Undead pack is discounted to $7.99. Just got it, but probably won't get to dig into it until this weekend.

cdj
10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Anyone try the Undead pack yet? Bought it this morning, but probably won't get to it for a few days.

CLW
10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Damn I have too many games right now and somehow this one is collecting dust in its GameFly sleeve. Stupid 2K8 College Hoops and NCAA 11!

SmoothPancakes
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I've been playing it some since Tuesday. Sadly haven't had too much time to put into it thanks to work, but it's been fun so far. Trying to reclaim the towns from the zombies, having zombies pop up randomly out of the ground in areas plus the groups of zombies you randomly come across while riding through the land. Even better are the animals. I thought I absolutely dreaded hearing cougars while riding in the regular game. I about damn near crapped myself when I had my first encounter with zombie cougars. Damn do those things scare the hell out of you the first time you encounter them.

I haven't been able to get too deep into the actual storyline of it yet, but at least in terms of side stuff in it, man I am loving it.

Also, just a tip to keep in the back of your mind, watch your ass in Blackwater. Jesus Christ do those zombies come of out freaking nowhere! And by the dozens!

cdj
12-24-2010, 02:01 PM
From today through January 3, it's Double XP online for RDR (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/24/red-dead-redemption-doubling-xp-until-2011/).

cdj
01-20-2011, 09:18 AM
How many people still have this one? I'm thinking we should dust this one off for a Community Game Night next week given all of the Game of the Year Awards this one has been racking up the last few weeks.

gschwendt
01-20-2011, 09:25 AM
How many people still have this one? I'm thinking we should dust this one off for a Community Game Night next week given all of the Game of the Year Awards this one has been racking up the last few weeks.
I still own it... I'd be up for it, though I haven't played it since I completed it. I don't own the Undead Nightmare though...

steelerfan

I have it and I would be in for another Community Night.

JBHuskers
Same here....

CLW
01-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I still have my rental and would be down for a community night.

cdj
01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
How does this Thursday evening sound for a community gaming night with RDR?

HuskerBlitz
01-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Is this tomorrow? I'd be up for it. I recently finished the story mode and have just started playing online more.

steelerfan
01-27-2011, 12:35 AM
How does this Thursday evening sound for a community gaming night with RDR?

70/30. Not sure if I'll be home. If I am, I'll play.

HuskerBlitz
01-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Is this happening tonight?

JBHuskers
01-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Is this happening tonight?

Don't think so, I think we'll try another night sometime next week.

cdj
01-31-2011, 08:31 PM
For those who were interested, how does this Thursday evening/night work?

HuskerBlitz
01-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm still down.

steelerfan
01-31-2011, 11:33 PM
For those who were interested, how does this Thursday evening/night work?

50/50. Thursday is often a drunken debauchery night for yours truly.

cdj
02-01-2011, 08:43 AM
50/50. Thursday is often a drunken debauchery night for yours truly.

They say there's nothing better than drinking then shooting (cyber) guns.

cdj
02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Hmmmm......we hate to pull another change-up, but with only a couple people responding, we're going to move RDR to next week.

We will do it next week! Just post availability here and maybe we can find a day where more people can play.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Hmmmm......we hate to pull another change-up, but with only a couple people responding, we're going to move RDR to next week.

We will do it next week! Just post availability here and maybe we can find a day where more people can play.

I'll play if I'm home. Sober or not. :P

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
If Steelerfan is drunk, I'm going to shoot his horses :D

Hell I'll probably just do that anyways.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
If Steelerfan is drunk, I'm going to shoot his horses :D

Hell I'll probably just do that anyways.

I think I'm still riding the jackass. (not a *** reference towards JB) :P :D

JBHuskers
02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I think I'm still riding the jackass. (not a *** reference towards JB) :P :D

:smh:

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 06:33 PM
:smh:

:D

cdj
02-10-2011, 07:16 AM
I'll be on RDR tonight. Let me know who else will be around.

steelerfan
02-10-2011, 08:15 AM
50/50

HuskerBlitz
02-10-2011, 09:59 AM
What time? I'll be home around 8-ish.

cdj
02-10-2011, 10:19 AM
I'll probably hop on starting at 7 or 8 CT and stay on for a few hours.

HuskerBlitz
02-10-2011, 05:34 PM
My PSN name is husker_blitz since I don't think I have anyone as friends on this site.

cdj
02-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Just got you added. I'm re-learning the controls as I haven't played in a while.

I'll see if I can figure out how to send invites. :/

cdj
02-10-2011, 09:21 PM
The online issues in RDR are a pain (getting connected). We'll have to try again sometime, H_B. Even in Free Play no one showed up, but then again most have probably moved on to other games by now.

I started the Undead Nightmare DLC. Pretty cool so far.

HuskerBlitz
02-10-2011, 09:40 PM
There were some Free Roams with no one in them and others with several.

SmoothPancakes
02-11-2011, 12:37 AM
The online issues in RDR are a pain (getting connected). We'll have to try again sometime, H_B. Even in Free Play no one showed up, but then again most have probably moved on to other games by now.

I started the Undead Nightmare DLC. Pretty cool so far.

Yeah, I gave up long ago on trying public free roams on 360. I have never been able to connect to any free roam game, I just stay on the loading screen until I give up and dashboard out. I can only do private free roams with friends and that's it.

JBHuskers
09-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Dust off the saddle...

Red Dead Redemption's free 'Myths and Mavericks' DLC rides Sept. 13 (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/01/red-dead-redemptions-free-myths-and-legends-dlc-rides-sept-1/)

Nothingface
09-03-2011, 03:48 PM
One of the greatest games i ever played. Dream game really.

SmoothPancakes
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
I've been playing this game a bit this past week with my friend. I've been able to actually, finally connect to a public free roam session in multiplayer, for the first time since pretty much ever. So we've been dicking around in public free roam a few nights this week. Still enjoy this game from time to time.

bdoughty
09-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Good news for those who never picked up this wonderful game. GOTY Edition on it's way.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/09/red-dead-redemption-re-release-due-in-october/1

PS3/360 $49.99 and includes all the DLC, including Myths and Mavericks. Oct 11th

marcotte14
07-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Anyone still have/play this game? I was thinking about dusting off the ole saddle and putting it in. I keep thinking about how much fun the co-op missions were.

cdj
07-05-2014, 07:29 PM
I still have it and am about halfway through Undead Nightmare.