PDA

View Full Version : Playbook organization

AustinWolv
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I looked back a couple pages and didn't see anything immediate.......just older. (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2788-Custom-Playbooks-Formation-Order)

I don't recall if there was the ability to organize the formations in your custom playbook in the order you want, other than setting up a new playbook. Anyone recall how to do it?
For example, mine goes I formations, shotgun, Power-I, and then Ace formations. I'd prefer it something like Ace, Power-I, I, and then shotgun.
My defensive playbook is even goofier, in that it goes 3-4, quarters, 4-4, 4-3, dollar, nickel, and then dime.

gschwendt
08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Unfortunately there's really not a great way.

Offensively, about the best way to do it is to find a playbook that has the same organization that you like, then don't remove all of the formations for each type (ie leave at least 1 I-Form play to keep it in the same slot) before adding in the formations you want. As far as the order for the different formations for each type (Normal, Tight, Y-Trips, etc.), they're added in the order that you add them.

Hope that helps.

Defensively... you're SOL unfortunately. My 425 playbook is ugly.

AustinWolv
08-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Thought that might be the case, thanks for the feedback.

JeffHCross
08-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Offensively, about the best way to do it is to find a playbook that has the same organization that you like, then don't remove all of the formations for each type (ie leave at least 1 I-Form play to keep it in the same slot) before adding in the formations you want. As far as the order for the different formations for each type (Normal, Tight, Y-Trips, etc.), they're added in the order that you add them.I can't explain it, but this isn't always the case. Take the Boston College playbook as your base, change nothing, and the Ace formations totally re-arrange themselves.

EDJ
08-12-2012, 05:19 PM
This is so frustrating. At least the formations are ordered vertically how you add them. So that when in No Huddle, my big Shotgun formations are at the end of the list, and they're at the top of my Pistol list for a quick transition between personnel.

Does anyone else have blank formations in their Defensive playbook? My custom Huskers book goes 3-3-5 - 4-3 - Quarter - EMPTY - Dime - etc, etc.

Marlowe
08-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Does anyone else have blank formations in their Defensive playbook?

Yep. I just gave up trying to fix it and went with a default one. :mad:

jello1717
08-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Yep. I just gave up trying to fix it and went with a default one. :mad:

This is so frustrating. At least the formations are ordered vertically how you add them. So that when in No Huddle, my big Shotgun formations are at the end of the list, and they're at the top of my Pistol list for a quick transition between personnel.

Does anyone else have blank formations in their Defensive playbook? My custom Huskers book goes 3-3-5 - 4-3 - Quarter - EMPTY - Dime - etc, etc.
When creating my defensive book (prior to the first patch) through a lot of debug I determined that I only got a blank formation when I included the goalline 5-x-x formation. Once I added that I always had a blank formation and couldn't remove it and had to delete the pb. The 6-3-2 goalline formation is fine.

My CPB has no blank ones and some 3-4, 4-3,4-4,5-2,nickle,dime,quarter, dollar, goalline.

PSUEagle
01-27-2013, 07:20 PM
So, is this gonna be a priority for NCAA 14?

It's very annoying getting a random formation family order that I have no control of.

Oneback
01-28-2013, 10:39 AM
So, is this gonna be a priority for NCAA 14?

It's very annoying getting a random formation family order that I have no control of.

I've had no problems setting the order of formations in my playbook. I remove all formations other than goal line, then add formations in the order I want to see them in each formation category. The formation categories seem to show up in the order they are listed on the custom playbook screen.

PSUEagle
01-28-2013, 12:53 PM
I've had no problems setting the order of formations in my playbook. I remove all formations other than goal line, then add formations in the order I want to see them in each formation category. The formation categories seem to show up in the order they are listed on the custom playbook screen.

Interesting. I've had absolutely no luck with this approach. In your case, could it be because you run a spread and thus only have three families to use (Pistol/Gun/Goal line)?

I've been on a quest to get the following order for my CPB:

Ace
Empty
I
Strong
Weak
Gun

The best I could do was everything but Empty in that order using USC as a default.

Anyway, it would be nice to control this every single time without having to do a kabuki dance to get it all set up. Plus, I'd like to be able to move around formation order whenever I want (pain in the ass to add and then re-add sets when I make tweaks), although the current system is a big improvement over NCAA 12 in that respect.

Oneback
01-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Interesting. I've had absolutely no luck with this approach. In your case, could it be because you run a spread and thus only have three families to use (Pistol/Gun/Goal line)?

I've been on a quest to get the following order for my CPB:

Ace
Empty
I
Strong
Weak
Gun

The best I could do was everything but Empty in that order using USC as a default.

Anyway, it would be nice to control this every single time without having to do a kabuki dance to get it all set up. Plus, I'd like to be able to move around formation order whenever I want (pain in the ass to add and then re-add sets when I make tweaks), although the current system is a big improvement over NCAA 12 in that respect.

I agree, having full control would be awesome as it is a pain, to add to it I'd also like full control over formation audibles as well.

To get what you're wanting I'd find a base playbook that's laid out how you want then remove all formations in each formation category except for the one you want at the top, for example:

Ace
- Slot

Empty
- Flex Trey

I
- Normal

Strong
- Normal

Weak
- Normal

Gun
- Normal HB Wk

Then start building formations from there.

JeffHCross
01-28-2013, 06:41 PM
I've tried similar approaches without success, OB. Especially on defense.

Oneback
01-29-2013, 12:20 PM
I've tried similar approaches without success, OB. Especially on defense.

Defense is a scattershoot - but I just finished an updated playbook this morning that I'll be using this season in Powerhouse, granted I only have shotgun formations, but all 26 of them are in the order I want them.

JeffHCross
01-29-2013, 07:39 PM
Defense is a scattershoot - but I just finished an updated playbook this morning that I'll be using this season in Powerhouse, granted I only have shotgun formations, but all 26 of them are in the order I want them.I haven't had too many problems within a category (e.g. Shotgun, Pistol), but the categories themselves get all out of whack.

And as I mentioned above in an older post, take Boston College, change nothing, and the formations go crazy. That could just be BC, but I think there's a larger unknown to how playbooks are organized, and that's part of why they're all fucked up.

PSUEagle
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
I haven't had too many problems within a category (e.g. Shotgun, Pistol), but the categories themselves get all out of whack.

And as I mentioned above in an older post, take Boston College, change nothing, and the formations go crazy. That could just be BC, but I think there's a larger unknown to how playbooks are organized, and that's part of why they're all fucked up.

This is all very true.

I've had no issues with ordering formations: I always delete every single formation in a category except for one. Then, I add the set I want to appear first (if that set didn't happen to be the one I did not delete). Then, delete the last set that I left from the original list and start adding additional sets in the order I want them. 100% effective and not overly complicated.

The problem is the formation family orders. On offense I got it close to what I want:

Ace
I
Strong
Weak
Gun
Empty

The real issue is defense: that's the one where you need to be able to quickly and efficiently cycle through your options: any wasted time puts you at a disadvantage.

PSUEagle
07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
So, Gamechangers/Early Release guys, was this improved for NCAA 14? Or should this be moved to the NCAA 15 wishlist?

There are some people who have little things that they beat the drum for every year that are important to them. Some guys want socks, some want letters on gloves, some wanted practice mode for pre-season in dynasties, and I want to control the order of my playbook every single time to go along with customizable formation audibles.

The latter is being included in Madden this year, so I don't see why we can't get another sub menu while making a PB called "Organization" or something. In it it would allow you to move the formations and formation families around much like you can now when ordering plays themselves in a given set. Combine this with an option somewhere to set your four audibles per set and custom playbooks would take a 1/2 hour tops to make (and you wouldn't have to delete a bunch of sets if you want to make tweaks later but still want to maintain a certain order). As of now it's taken me over five hours to make each of the four or so PB's I've created in NCAA 13.

EDJ
07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
So, Gamechangers/Early Release guys, was this improved for NCAA 14? Or should this be moved to the NCAA 15 wishlist?

From what I can tell it's basically the same. My formation sets from left to right were in alphabetic order. And then the list of a given formation was in the order I added the formation in.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

drae504
07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
So I know why we can't organize our PB's to our liking in how we want them to go.....the game has the PB's set up in numerical then alphabetical order. It should be set up to logical order. Ex. On D it should go 3-4, 4-3, 4-4, 46, 5-2, 335, 4-2-5, nickel, dime, dollar, quarter, goaline.

Who Dat Nation
PSN - ImCrack
GAMERTAG - UnFukWitable504

PSUEagle
07-07-2013, 07:16 PM
...So I know why we can't organize our PB's to our liking in how we want them to go.....the game has the PB's set up in numerical then alphabetical order...

Can you explain what you mean by that?

I'm not doubting you, but I honestly have not been able to figure out any pattern to this stuff whatsoever...

Justin66
07-07-2013, 08:12 PM
It's even more aggravating now with no huddle makes me not wanna use it and I really like the no huddle style.

fisherjr33
07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Just how broken are custom playbooks now? In line with last year? Still difficult to get some formation audibles to set?

I really do not understand why they do not just give the user the ability to set formation audibles and the order of the playbook. Seems like such a simple fix.

PDuncanOSU
07-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm looking forward to setting up my custom playbook tomorrow and have watched some of the "Every offensive play" video to get an idea on some formations and plays to look for. Does anyone know a way to tell which play-action passes link to which runs? Some of them are easy to tell by the play art or name but many of them seem to have multiple runs that could work with them.

Ligerborn
07-12-2013, 01:25 PM
I was able to get what I wanted by going to a base playbook that had the Base formations in the order i wanted, then adding the Base formations that weren't in the book I used Eastern Michigan's One Back Book.

which is
Ace
I
Pistol
Shotgun
Goal line
Hail Mary

I removed I and Hail Mary

I added in Flexbone and Wildcat.

my order is
Flexbone (added Base)
Ace
Pistol
Shotgun
Wildcat (I havent seen wildcat go anywhere but at the end before Goal line)
Goal Line

For me since I think only 1 or two of EMU's sub sets I used I did have to a fair amount of sub formation deletion, and then built up the sets I do use. To me not a big deal, as I enjoy making playbooks, but know not everyone likes doing this.

My shootbone offense is pretty much locked now, (and yes I am the guy formerly known as Salukifan at Utopia...)

(sub formations in order of appearance in my book)
Flexbone : Normal, Trips Left/Right

Ace : Spread, Trips 4Wr

Pistol : Spread, Flexbone Trips, Trips 4Wr

Shotty : Spread HB Wk, Spread Offset, Spread, Normal Y Slot, Empty Spread, Wing Trips, Wing Trips HB Wk, Trips, Trips HB Wk, Split Slot, Split Y Offset

Wildcat : Trips Over

Goal Line : Twins Over