PDA

View Full Version : Routes that work against Man Coverage?

starter
07-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Which routes work against man coverage. Streaks work, but you the defense can have help over top. Drags are ok but spies can control the middle. CB now jump the slant, in, out, post.... So which pass plays force the defense to not play cover2man?

AustinWolv
07-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Hm?

Find the open guy, i've seen and hit open guys on outs, ins, posts, streaks, slants, drags, corners, etc. A corner is vicious in a mismatch, like a safety or LB on your receiver. Playing on Heisman and guys are open, so not sure where you are having trouble. Sure, they stick some of your routes, so look at your other routes in that case and yes, sometimes your QB will eat it.

SirHellraiser
07-14-2010, 12:03 PM
you may need to overload one side and hot route the middle wrt on a inside or outside slant

starter
07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm not really looking for strategies to beat man coverage. I'm asking for specific routes against CBs the EA has programed CBs to take away. The deep out seems programed to taken away by the CB. The CB make the cut before the WR breaks-down to cut. I only had a limited time to play the game last night and I'm stuck at work. I'm really looking for plays that will never work against man coverage because of the programing logic.

SirHellraiser
07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
I have hit many Deep routes on NCAA 11 User catching them On the run so it does not "takeaway from them But they did tighten them up drag routes seems to be working and slants

MGoBlue
07-14-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not really looking for strategies to beat man coverage. I'm asking for specific routes against CBs the EA has programed CBs to take away. The deep out seems programed to taken away by the CB. The CB make the cut before the WR breaks-down to cut. I only had a limited time to play the game last night and I'm stuck at work. I'm really looking for plays that will never work against man coverage because of the programing logic.

Crossing routes are there all day, slants are 50/50 (Except against Alabama, where its 100/0 in there favor), quick outs (Shorter than the hot route) seem to be getting open for me. A lot of times you can get behind the man-on defender if you're not greedy going to that all game.

AustinWolv
07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Are you bothering to run the ball? Are you playing from behind?
Coverage when the CPU knows you are throwing all the time or you are playing catch-up, i.e. they have momentum, is tighter than in close games or when you are leading.

Dr Death
07-14-2010, 02:33 PM

I'll tell you one thing that EA has done that has me ticked off beyond belief... and they may have done this last year, I don't know, I didn't buy NCAA 10. But try this... go to UTEP's playbook, go to Empty Set, which is 5-wide, QB under center. Go to the play Zig Out...

You have 3 WR's on the right and 2 on the left. The slot guy on the left USED to run about 4-5 yards upfield, fake like he was going to do a slant over the middle, then cut out to the sideline. This was a Man>Man beater and a play I always relied on heavily.

Well, now the guy runs the route, but when he cuts to go outside he turns completely around, facing the QB and any distance he would have gained from having great acceleration is now lost. Why does EA change stuff like this??? All momentum is lost and any coach can see the old way was 100 times better than this.

Completely and totally frustrating.

starter
07-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Are you bothering to run the ball? Are you playing from behind?
Coverage when the CPU knows you are throwing all the time or you are playing catch-up, i.e. they have momentum, is tighter than in close games or when you are leading.

Runnig the ball is great. Really smooth. I'm just messing around in practice mode or playnow with super-sim on defense. This time of the year, I'm just trying to learn the game and get used to the controls, so I winning the game at this point isn't important. It's kind of like training camp for me.

Man coverage sliders work. But online games are default sliders.

AustinWolv
07-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Sorry man, not sure what to tell you without seeing what you are doing perhaps. I'm hitting receivers against man coverages, so.....

starter
07-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Sorry man, not sure what to tell you without seeing what you are doing perhaps. I'm hitting receivers against man coverages, so.....

Yeah, I haven't played much, 1-2 hours, so maybe I just need more stick time. I can hit receivers in man coverage, just some routes seem programed.

AustinWolv
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Also note there is a big difference if you are playing talented squads with good CBs as compared to average teams with average or poor CBs. I mean, against some top teams, I can't even get a pass off in 4 seconds before the QB is hit and the receivers are still fighting off jams, not into their routes yet, so I've had to just eat it or try to escape to gain some yards running the QB.
Those talented CBs will be in hip pockets on slants if you keep going to them and jump those routes, but other times, they are wide-freaking-open. Just depends on setting stuff up, momentum, ratings, etc.

MGoBlue
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
I'll tell you one thing that EA has done that has me ticked off beyond belief... and they may have done this last year, I don't know, I didn't buy NCAA 10. But try this... go to UTEP's playbook, go to Empty Set, which is 5-wide, QB under center. Go to the play Zig Out...

You have 3 WR's on the right and 2 on the left. The slot guy on the left USED to run about 4-5 yards upfield, fake like he was going to do a slant over the middle, then cut out to the sideline. This was a Man>Man beater and a play I always relied on heavily.

Well, now the guy runs the route, but when he cuts to go outside he turns completely around, facing the QB and any distance he would have gained from having great acceleration is now lost. Why does EA change stuff like this??? All momentum is lost and any coach can see the old way was 100 times better than this.

Completely and totally frustrating.

It's because people were making a killing off that play. I mean i miss the triple option from '08 as much as the next person, but we gotta adapt.

Dr Death
07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
It's because people were making a killing off that play. I mean i miss the triple option from '08 as much as the next person, but we gotta adapt.

Well, I've adapted, but it's still ridiculous. :smh:

MGoBlue
07-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Well, I've adapted, but it's still ridiculous. :smh:

It's more accurate, but that's how that route is run in real life, you have to give the DB a chance to over run your route before you bend back. Problem comes in from super defenders.

starter
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
My impressions of Man Coverage in NCAA11

Went home for lunch and I found the issue with the man coverage. For a 90 degree cut, The WR “cut” animation involves 3 steps. The CB “cut” animation involves only one step. Therefore, The CB will always be two steps ahead of the WR.

The WR 90 degree cut animation involves 2 steps to slowdown and gather himself. He also sinks his hips. Then make a third and final step to plant and pivot (cut) and explode out of the break. Its really a thing of beauty.

The CBs 90 degree cut animation skips the 2 step slowdown and gather portion of the animation and just make one step to plant a pivot. (With the wrong foot!)

Adjustment to the pass coverage slider will delay the reaction time of the CB. Easy and cheap work-around, but the underlying fundamental flaw needs to be addresses. EA needs to make the WRs and CBs have the same cut animations, or balance out the timing, so that the ratings decide the outcome. The way it is now, the CBs always have an annimation advantage over the WR.

Maybe the new "tuner sets" can be used to fix this problem.

AustinWolv
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Nice look at it. Goes hand-in-hand with the notion that EA has really worked hard on the offensive side of the ball and nailed a lot of details, but now that attention should shift to the defensive side in the future.

lilheavy
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
My impressions of Man Coverage in NCAA11

Went home for lunch and I found the issue with the man coverage. For a 90 degree cut, The WR “cut” animation involves 3 steps. The CB “cut” animation involves only one step. Therefore, The CB will always be two steps ahead of the WR.

The WR 90 degree cut animation involves 2 steps to slowdown and gather himself. He also sinks his hips. Then make a third and final step to plant and pivot (cut) and explode out of the break. Its really a thing of beauty.

The CBs 90 degree cut animation skips the 2 step slowdown and gather portion of the animation and just make one step to plant a pivot. (With the wrong foot!)

Adjustment to the pass coverage slider will delay the reaction time of the CB. Easy and cheap work-around, but the underlying fundamental flaw needs to be addresses. EA needs to make the WRs and CBs have the same cut animations, or balance out the timing, so that the ratings decide the outcome. The way it is now, the CBs always have an annimation advantage over the WR.

Maybe the new "tuner sets" can be used to fix this problem.

Yep it was like this last year also. Nothing worst than seeing your reciever fight to get inside position on a dig route only to have all his hard work go to waste because the DB doesn't have to break down and plant his foot the way the wideouts do.