PDA

View Full Version : Help defending a power running game

blueduckwartyme
08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
The few times I've played online against people that actually run the ball, I've been finding it difficult to stop the power running game, especially against teams like alabama and lsu. I can blitz 8 guys and still not get through to the backfield. Another problem I find against both those teams is that I can't run worth a crap against them. I am usually tackled as soon as my hb takes a step. So my questions to anyone that wants to help is:
1. Whats a good formation for stopping the run?
2. Should you middle align linebackers so they are in the middle lanes so that they can get through easier?
3. Am I having trouble just because alabama and lsu have such good defenses or are the people I'm playing just picking the right defenses? I know you can't really answer that without playing the same people, but it seems crazy to me that if i play those teams with wisconsin I still can't run.

Thanks for any insights, info, or strategies you guys can give me.

JeffHCross
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Alabama and LSU are good. Very good. Especially on the default settings, which you're likely playing at.

That said, there are some things that you can do to combat the power run. One common strategy I've seen this year is to shift your DL, which allows your LBs to not be blocked and flow to the ballcarrier. Personally, I haven't quite figured out this strategy, but I've seen it employed against me. So it's probably something you'd need to take to practice mode.

blueduckwartyme
08-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks. I will have to put some time in practice, but I'll definitely try the dl shift. I have also had this used against me, but i guess I didn't put it together that that could be why lanes were opening up.

novadolla
08-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Make sure you always have leverage. Pretty much line up properly s that you are in good position to turn outside runs back inside.

Keontez
08-14-2012, 05:39 AM
This is a blitz I use out of the 4-4 verse I formations

Crash Gold

Make sure the blitz is coming from the side of the field that the TE is to on run downs. Vs I-Form plays most run plays are going to that side.

Adjustments:
- Pinch the line
- Crash towards the blitzing LBers
- Move OLB to the outside hip of the DE