PDA

View Full Version : Perfect playbook to run the Leaf/Gesser Washington State offense

trioptionGator
07-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I've noticed a couple of threads on various sties where people are talking about doing a "return-to-glory" dynasty with Washington State. Well, if you want to run the same offense that the Cougars rand when they had perhaps their best teams ever, you're in luck. The UTEP playbook is very close to a PERFECT match for the stuff Washington State ran in the 90s and early 2000s.

Of course, this makes sense because UTEP coach Mike Price was then at WSU, but past versions of NCAA have failed to capture his one-back, under-center spread offense. The new UTEP playbook nails it, especially the Ace Spread formation. Read this link: http://smartfootball.blogspot.com/2009/05/fond-memories-of-ryan-leaf-and.html

The Ace Spread has:
Hitch Seams
Four Verticals
Bubble Screens
and, I'm doing this from memory, at least one play with an option route (I'm at work, so don't sue me if I'm wrong)

In years after 1997, the Cougs had better tight ends, so they ran more Ace Slot and the like, and those formations are good in the UTEP playbook as well. Anyway, I can't wait to get my WSU dynasty started. And for those who really want to replicate what the Cougs did under Price, you can now that JUCO players are actually valuable in recruiting. Ten years ago WSU made a living on stocking their defense with overlooked in-state recruits and complementing them with talented JUCOs. Overall, I have to say I'm pretty thrilled that EA has made these changes!