PDA

View Full Version : Offensive "trickeration"

gigemaggs99
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
So, I like to play what I would call realistic style football. Basically what I mean by that is football you would see on Saturdays vs football you see in some lobby rooms where all they do is take advantage of the A.I. flaws.

That being said, I like to keep the defense guessing. More of chess match style, but with less "tells" like you'd see in a poker match.

So I'm wondering if ya'll know of other good formations, play books, etc that keep them on their toes.

Here is an example of what I'm liking so far. The auto-motion is nice, but when I play my buddy over and over he's smart enough to see that one TE go in motion and he will then key in that it's a HB Blast. If I run this over and over he learns the "tell" of the TE in motion. Enter the Penn St I-Form: TE Flip formation. They have a GREAT mix of auto-motion plays in this formation. The strong side TE motions to the weak side, from here you can either pick HB Blast which brings the HB in behind the weak side, OR you can PA Boot again with the same TE motion, OR you have Lions Power O which again uses the same TE auto-motion except this time the HB attacks the strong side OR you have PA Lions Power O again using the same auto-motion.

This same formation also has some other great passing plays that you can motion the TE to the weak side manually to REALLY keep the defense guessing. In all, including the above mentioned plays this formation has 12 plays, but it seems like you could stay in this formation and give the defense fits!

Does anyone else use this auto-motion and style of play? I like how simple it is yet how confusing it must be to defend.

My buddy and I have been playing 1 night per game basically since the game came out. We've played so much now that when he comes out in certain formations or rolls his QB to a certain side I'm beginning to know where he's going w/ the ball. I know he's the same with me as I've been running the heck outta stick from the AIR RAID pb, but this little formation with this simple TE motion really makes him scratch his head.

Just wondered if there are others out there that are doing something similar.

JeffHCross
07-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't use auto-motion like you've described here, because I haven't found enough playbooks (or formations) with the same (or similar enough) auto-motion in multiple plays that I actually like to run (I personally stay away from the PA passes, probably because of their less than stellar history). But I will do something similar to what you outlined here ... I'll call entire drives, sometimes longer, from one single formation. My reason is two-fold: a) if I have a formation that can either be a run or pass, then my opponent can't key on it. b) If I run an entire drive with a single formation, my opponent won't notice if I have a "go-to" play, so when I call that same formation in the 4th quarter with 2:00 to go, he may not know (or even have a guess) which play is coming.

lilheavy
07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Alot of the ace formations have the auto motion plays. Here or a few that I like:

Ace Bunch Base
-H Zone Wk
-H Zone St
-PA Zone Wk
-PA Zone St

Ace Big (All of these plays have the wideout go in auto motion and include run plays, playaction off the run play, and normal dropback passing)
-WR Quick
-Fk Quick HB Dive
-PA Fk Quick
-Z Spot
-Flanker Drive

There are plenty more out there but these are a few that I enjoy using often.

So I had some downtime at work after I made this post and I decided to create a playbook with only automotion plays in it.

http://playbooks2012.com/printCustomPB2.php?pb=2587

Dr Death
07-28-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't use auto-motion like you've described here, because I haven't found enough playbooks (or formations) with the same (or similar enough) auto-motion in multiple plays that I actually like to run (I personally stay away from the PA passes, probably because of their less than stellar history). But I will do something similar to what you outlined here ... I'll call entire drives, sometimes longer, from one single formation. My reason is two-fold: a) if I have a formation that can either be a run or pass, then my opponent can't key on it. b) If I run an entire drive with a single formation, my opponent won't notice if I have a "go-to" play, so when I call that same formation in the 4th quarter with 2:00 to go, he may not know (or even have a guess) which play is coming.

And there is one of the beauties of the 5-Wide offense. Basically, you have two formations: Trips Left | Trips Right. And the D - either CPU or Human - has one helluva time trying to figure out what's coming next. The thing I love is that they know it's a pass - and still they can't stop it! I played some guy on-line last year in a match up from one of the rooms - just some random chap. I took :SMU: and of course he took :Texas: ;). First play, I come out in 5-Wide and could tell he was blitzing heavy. The funny thing was, he took over one of the DB's and I knew he was going to blitz w/ him. It was like a game of billiards - I saw what was going to happen before it even took place.

I snapped the ball - he blitzed as expected - I threw a 2-yard out pass that went 88-yards for a TD! Beat him 29-21 and my QB was 26 of 29. :D