PDA

View Full Version : FIFA 13 Career Mode – The New Features

cdj
07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
We were asked to find out about lots of different things before we went to EAC but the one part of FIFA 13 you all wanted to know about most was Career Mode. That’s why we’re incredibly pleased to bring you this rundown of the modes new features which address many community requests of old and, introduce some truly staggering new technical innovations.

International Management

As your reputation as a manager grows in Career Mode you will now be offered the chance to manage International teams in addition to the club side you are already playing with.
Your performance and manager reputation in Career Mode dictates the quality of the international offers you will receive.
Your nationality and the league you manage in will also effect the type of International offers you receive.
Rumours about interested nations will circulate in the press for some months before you actually receive a firm offer.
Squad selection will be a key part of your International management duties and deadlines for selections (one week prior to friendlies, one month prior to tournaments) have to be met.
International competitions will run in parallel with the club game meaning you could land a job in the middle of a qualifying campaign.
International management has it’s own Career Mode “Hub” keeping your club and country separate.

In Match Live Score Updates

Whilst playing your Career Mode matches you’ll now receive audio updates from other games being played in your league voiced by Alan Mcinally and Geoff Shreeves.
The live updates cover goal, red card and penalty incidents.
Example – Shreeves: “Goal at Anfield, Fulham’s Clint Dempsey scores a brilliant freekick to make it 2-1, 73 minutes played” Tyler “Thanks Geoff”
You can select/de-select the matches you want to hear audio updates from prior to playing starting your match.
Player Stories
Interaction with players is now more regular with instant feedback received based on managerial decisions.
Player Stories can now run for months in to Career Mode re-emerging if you go through a bad run of results or when you sell/buy a key player.
Specific Player Stories also occur when managing an International team, meaning you’ll need to keep both club and country happy.
Fan stories will now make top news in the press based on team performance.

Be A Player

Once you’ve chosen your player (VP or real) you receive a set of Season Objectives to complete from the manager. The type of player you choose (forward, midfielder, defender, etc) will shape these objectives.
As well as Season Objectives you’ll also be asked to achieve objectives every four matches. This could include, goals, clean sheets, pass/tackle completion percentages, etc. The quality of opposition over these four games will decide the values you are asked to achieve.
If you are unhappy you now have the option to request a transfer, or request a loan to gain more match experience.
If you choose to play for a top club with a low rated VP you will not be a first team starter to begin with, you’ll be loaned to gain experience first.
If fatigued or playing poorly the manager can now substitute your player.
Once your playing days are over can can opt to retire and take up management.

Classified Results

After each Career Mode match you now receive a rundown of the classified results through in-game audio (think BBC Final Score)
League table updates are also fed back to you as well as any upcoming fixtures. These audio sequences happen less regularly than the classified results.
When this audio is running you can still browse all Career Mode menus and continue to the next game week.
Managers Office
You can now view any available managerial positions via the Jobs Board, this allows you to change clubs mid season should you wish to.
Your manager now appears on the touchline in matches based on customisation options chosen at the start of Career Mode.

Transfer Negotiations

The transfer system has been completely re-written for Career Mode in FIFA 13.
You can now offer player plus cash and player trade deals to the CPU.
When offering to loan players you can now set a future purchase price to sign the player permanently at the end of the loan period.
When the CPU makes an offer for one of your players you can now choose to “Counter Offer” to ask for more money. The CPU will then choose to accept, reject or make a counter offer of their own.
Contract negotiations now contain advice from your Chief Executive which act as a guide to what they think the club and player may want.
When offering contracts you can now choose a role for the player you’re trying to sign eg Crucial Player, Important Player, Future Star. This expectation will effect whether a player chooses to join your club.
Prior to making a firm offer you can now make an Enquiry to find out whether a player is available and how much the club want for them.
You can now make offers for players directly from media stories by pressing the left stick.
A new Financial Strictness setting will limit the percentage of players sales that go back in to your transfer budget (chosen at the start of CM).

Breaking News

A new “Sky Sports” style overlay will now deliver breaking and top news to the Career Mode hub.

Edit Players

You now have the ability to edit player appearance during your Career Mode seasons. This option can be unlocked via the new EASFC Catalogue.

User Interface

You can now read news articles from the media pane whilst the game is advancing.
The first time you enter Career Mode menus a tutorial overlay appears to guide you through each panes function.

Right at the death last night we were asked to withhold one more big piece of Career Mode news which we’ll try to bring you as soon as we can (sorry) but it does mean you have more to look forward to. Tom’s full Career Mode Impressions article will follow shortly (with screens) but for now hit the comments to let us know your thoughts on the new features. Pleased?

Link:
http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-13-career-mode-the-new-features/

SmoothPancakes
07-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Sweet! I was already guaranteed buying FIFA 13 come September, but this only further verified and cemented my purchase.

steelerfan
07-23-2012, 12:42 PM
This all sounds very good. I've enjoyed Career Mode very much on 12. I'm in my 8th season, approaching 400 matches played in this mode alone.

I know CLW will be thrilled that you can now manage international squads and it adds an extra layer to the mode.

While I'm still skeptical that they can pull it off, I'm hoping the news that hasn't been released is about a connected career/online manager mode.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JBHuskers
07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
This all sounds very good. I've enjoyed Career Mode very much on 12. I'm in my 8th season, approaching 400 matches played in this mode alone.

I know CLW will be thrilled that you can now manage international squads and it adds an extra layer to the mode.

While I'm still skeptical that they can pull it off, I'm hoping the news that hasn't been released is about a connected career/online manager mode.

So managing international squads, will in-career Euro and World Cup be in? Or will that never happen since they sell those separate on those years?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

psusnoop
07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
This is all very sweet, I can't wait to get my hands on this now!! (not that I wasn't buying it already like Smooth said) :D

jaymo76
07-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Sounds good based on what I have heard. It's funny because Steeler and I were talking about this just last night.

steelerfan
07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
So managing international squads, will in-career Euro and World Cup be in? Or will that never happen since they sell those separate on those years?

That's a good question. I'll see if I can get clarification. I could see those bring included because they could still sell a separate disc/dlc with the real setup, as opposed to what happens in your career mode.

steelerfan
07-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Sounds good based on what I have heard. It's funny because Steeler and I were talking about this just last night.

I thought the same thing this morning, jaymo. :)

steelerfan
07-23-2012, 06:26 PM

I got clarification from our friends at EA Canada. There will definitely be the World Cup and Euro, in the appropriate years and with typical licensing limitations, within career mode now. :))

steelerfan
07-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm reading too much into this but reading the words "continue to the next game week" in the Classified Results section above, really makes me think we are looking at a Connected Career/Online Manager Mode coming as that final announcement.

For the record, I have no inside info on this.

JBHuskers
07-23-2012, 06:40 PM
I got clarification from our friends at EA Canada. There will definitely be the World Cup and Euro, in the appropriate years and with typical licensing limitations, within career mode now. :))

HOT. DAMN. :))

steelerfan
07-28-2012, 03:07 PM
Nice interview about Career Mode.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/career-mode-interview-santiago-jaramillo/

CLW
07-28-2012, 05:32 PM

Yep that pretty much sealed my pre-order. Any word on whether international tournys will be in the career mode should you work your way up to National Manager? (i.e. World Cup; Euro; etc...)

steelerfan
07-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Yep that pretty much sealed my pre-order. Any word on whether international tournys will be in the career mode should you work your way up to National Manager? (i.e. World Cup; Euro; etc...)

There will be a ton of international competitions in, including the ones you mentioned. Some will be called something else due to licensing, but they'll be there (ie I think the World Cup will be called the World Championship). For full disclosure, CLW, you should know that you cannot simply play as an international manager. You can only play as an international manager in conjunction with playing as a club manager.

CLW
07-29-2012, 10:48 AM
There will be a ton of international competitions in, including the ones you mentioned. Some will be called something else due to licensing, but they'll be there (ie I think the World Cup will be called the World Championship). For full disclosure, CLW, you should know that you cannot simply play as an international manager. You can only play as an international manager in conjunction with playing as a club manager.

Yeah that's fine. I just need to dive into this mode and get into it. I'll probably start out with some no name club in an "odd" league. or Maybe a 4th tier English club or something and build myself up.

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Question and a comment
Question: Can you do some kind of "Custom Conferences" edits? Realism be damned, can you see how a team would compete in a completely different league from where they're supposed to be?

Comment: I can only follow about half of the things in that list above. I may end up skipping FIFA simply because of the additional time it would take me to learn the game proper.

steelerfan
07-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Question and a comment
Question: Can you do some kind of "Custom Conferences" edits? Realism be damned, can you see how a team would compete in a completely different league from where they're supposed to be?

Comment: I can only follow about half of the things in that list above. I may end up skipping FIFA simply because of the additional time it would take me to learn the game proper.

Q: No custom conferences, Jeff. However the game does have promotion and relegation. So, in England for example, the game has the top 4 tiers of football. It is possible for anyone to move up out down among those 4 leagues.

C: It's not as bad as it would seem. You could learn quicker than you think. Give me a 10-minute call, once a week, after release and I'll have you up to speed before you know it.

CLW
07-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Q: No custom conferences, Jeff. However the game does have promotion and relegation. So, in England for example, the game has the top 4 tiers of football. It is possible for anyone to move up out down among those 4 leagues.

C: It's not as bad as it would seem. You could learn quicker than you think. Give me a 10-minute call, once a week, after release and I'll have you up to speed before you know it.

Yeah its really not all that complicated. My problem is simply not having a favorite club as my "dream" coaching job to work to.

steelerfan
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
My problem is simply not having a favorite club as my "dream" coaching job to work to.

Problem. Solved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWW7N3fr_RM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

JeffHCross
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Steeler: Figured on the customization. My problem is that I want to play in England with promotion and regulation, but I have more of a connection to a couple MLS squads in particular. So I'd love to play in England with MLS kits, which isn't going to happen :D

steelerfan
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
Steeler: Figured on the customization. My problem is that I want to play in England with promotion and regulation, but I have more of a connection to a couple MLS squads in particular. So I'd love to play in England with MLS kits, which isn't going to happen :D

What I did on 12 was this. I started at Houston, then I just took the highest paying jobs from there with my goal being the English Premier League.

That helped me get exposed to some leagues that I wouldn't have been otherwise. After a season in Houston, I managed SC Braga in Liga Portuguesa for one year. I left there and went to the Bundesliga (Germany) and managed FC Schalke 04. I finally got offers in England after that and I took over at Manchester City. I got a little bored after 3 years there, so I left and went to Liga BBVA (La Liga - Spain) and I managed Valencia CF. I decided to go back to England after that and landed at Manchester United, which is where I am now.

That's what's great about this game. So many leagues and so many competitions. It never gets stale. In England alone, I can compete for the Premiership title (of course), the Champions League or Europa League title, the Carling Cup, the FA Cup, and the European Super Cup (if I win the Champions League or Europa League in the previous season). I'm hoping they'll add the Club World Cup and the Community Shield at some point too.

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 09:59 AM
I went from Chicago Fire (a shitty shitty team), to a job in Poland. I'm still in the friendly stages with them, but am 1-1 with a much better team. Got myself a 75 OVR GK in transfers too. I'd like to try to get through this season before 13 comes out, but I dunno if I will. For 13, I will definitely want to play more offline seasons. If there are Connected Careers, I'm sure this will happen teaming up with :sf: and Snoop :D

SCClassof93
07-30-2012, 10:04 AM
just doing a drive by :P

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_kC-W17IospQ/TaZhIAdg9KI/AAAAAAAACq8/JO5gev04yAI/soccer-archery.jpg

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 12:21 PM
:D this could be fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QsKaN8xDhnw

CLW
07-30-2012, 12:29 PM
:D this could be fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QsKaN8xDhnw

Damn 360 and their connect when is Sony going to add something like this?

steelerfan
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
just doing a drive by :P

This from a guy who enjoys wearing pink pants, a teal shirt, white belt, and white shoes while counting his strokes and washing his balls. :fp:

JBHuskers
07-30-2012, 12:34 PM
This from a guy who enjoys wearing pink pants, a teal shirt, white belt, and white shoes while counting his strokes and washing his balls. :fp:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/Forum%20Pictures/ooohburn.jpg

SCClassof93
08-02-2012, 08:57 AM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_labjsfcILi1qbjuvdo1_400.gif

psusnoop
08-02-2012, 05:26 PM
:D

CLW
08-02-2012, 05:51 PM
So any word if this shizzle will be brought online for online career mode with buddies?

cdj
08-11-2012, 07:50 AM
That’s right folks in FIFA 13′s Career Mode your club can now take part in 1st season European football.

This is the bit EA asked us to hold back due to a few niggling issues but now we can tell you exactly how it works…

In the Career Mode setup menu you can now select “Europe 1st Season”
This takes you through to the cup draw which at first is populated with random teams.
You then get the option to draw again from “seeded teams” which will give you a tournament setup closer to the real deal.
After that you can also manually swap teams with others from the same league if you wish.

It may sound like a small thing but for Career Modes realism and that all important first impression it’s a massive hurdle that EA have managed to overcome this year and one which the community have asked for since the mode was re-launched with FIFA 10. It’s also important to note that Career Mode’s European football is not licensed officially.

Link (http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/fifa-13-career-mode-europe-1st-season/)

steelerfan
08-11-2012, 11:46 AM
Hmm. Since I started my Career Mode in MLS, I honestly didn't realize that the Champions League (Champions Cup in FIFA) and the Europa League (Euro League in FIFA) were not in the first season previously. This is certainly a big add for anyone who starts their Career Mode in Europe.

Also, you guys should listen to the short portion of that interview (follow the link). You get good insight into the mindset of the FIFA team. "Don't worry about gimmicky features - make sure passing, shooting, and the fundamentals work first" to paraphrase.

CLW
08-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Hmm. Since I started my Career Mode in MLS, I honestly didn't realize that the Champions League (Champions Cup in FIFA) and the Europa League (Euro League in FIFA) were not in the first season previously. This is certainly a big add for anyone who starts their Career Mode in Europe.

Also, you guys should listen to the short portion of that interview (follow the link). You get good insight into the mindset of the FIFA team. "Don't worry about gimmicky features - make sure passing, shooting, and the fundamentals work first" to paraphrase.

Perhaps that interview should be forwarded on to the Madden/NCAA team then. The VERY basics of blocking and tackling are really F'd up in both games.

steelerfan
08-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Perhaps that interview should be forwarded on to the Madden/NCAA team then. The VERY basics of blocking and tackling are really F'd up in both games.

That's what I was eluding to. However, there are a ton of factors to be considered. Obviously, competition is one. But one that will be overlooked by EA bashers is the fact that FIFA has a ginormous target audience and gimmicks aren't needed to draw in buyers. Sadly, that's a major influence on NCAA. It's just reality.

Escobar
08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
FIFA also has to compete with Pro Evolution Soccer. Even though I've never played that game and never will, I keep hearing people talk about it that are from other countries.

jaymo76
08-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Has anoyne downloaded the PES demo for PS3? I was thinking about it but just haven't found the time.

steelerfan
08-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Has anoyne downloaded the PES demo for PS3? I was thinking about it but just haven't found the time.

I haven't, but I didn't know it was available. I'll give it a run, but I've heard that the gameplay is arcadey in PES.

For me, I can't imagine going with PES over FIFA. I'd rather deal with the Champions League being called the "Champions Cup" than with Manchester United being called "Manchester Red", or whatever.

I'm very pleased with FIFA. PES would have to be good enough to make me get 2 football titles and I doubt that will happen.

CLW
08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I haven't, but I didn't know it was available. I'll give it a run, but I've heard that the gameplay is arcadey in PES.

For me, I can't imagine going with PES over FIFA. I'd rather deal with the Champions League being called the "Champions Cup" than with Manchester United being called "Manchester Red", or whatever.

I'm very pleased with FIFA. PES would have to be good enough to make me get 2 football titles and I doubt that will happen.

I haven't played PES in years but back in the day PES was the "sim" title and FIFA was "arcady". It's allot like the 2K v. EA thing (or at least it was)