PDA

View Full Version : Extra Online Dynasty Hosting & Power Pack Pricing

JBHuskers
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
The extra Online Dynasty hosting is unfortunately a little steep on the price.

$9.99 for 3 more slots
$14.99 for 5 more slots

There is also the Power Pack that is going to have EVERYTHING and is $29.99.

The Power Pack includes: all of the Time Savers for dynasty, the Road to Glory 5-Star Recruit for all positions, 120 TeamBuilder slots, Online Pass is included, Commish of 5 Online Dynasties.

Just looked it up and to add 120 Teambuilder slots, it's $9.99

JeffHCross
07-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Wow. They're gonna get hit PR-wise by the community for this, I think.

JBHuskers
07-12-2010, 11:02 PM

Yeah I'm thinking $5 for every three slots would be better. $10 is a little much.

SmoothPancakes
07-12-2010, 11:08 PM

I can guarantee they'll get hit PR-wise by the community for this. Those prices are ridiculous for stuff like that. Thankfully I won't have a need for any of that so I won't have to worry about making the decision of making a stand against prices like that or giving in and paying out the nose for something. But for others, I feel sorry for them having to pay that.

JBHuskers
07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Yeah with Dynasty Wire and people wanting to host their own one-team dynasty, there should have been two free.

JeffHCross
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Plus, if it's $9.99 for 3 extra (4 total), something like $3.99 for a single extra slot (2 total) wouldn't be horribly out of line.

Though they would have still taken a PR hit from that. There's no way to spin this one, especially given the "use Dynasty Wire for your single-team dynasties!" promotion.

CLW
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Wow $10 penalty for running an online dynasty and then wanting to run an "offline" dynasty well. I may have second thoughts about running my Duke dynasty as an online single team dynasty. $10 seems silly.

cdj
07-12-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm not a fan of whomever is setting the pricing for DLC at Tiburon. The TW11 DLC courses are $9.99 a pop and that's way too much as well.

CLW - What you could do is find someone who paid for the pack and join their OD with Duke. Have them pick a lowly rated team and set it to auto-pilot. They could then boost you to being in charge of the OD and then you could advance it when ready.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm not a fan of whomever is setting the pricing for DLC at Tiburon. The TW11 DLC courses are $9.99 a pop and that's way too much as well.

CLW - What you could do is find someone who paid for the pack and join their OD with Duke. Have them pick a lowly rated team and set it to auto-pilot. They could then boost you to being in charge of the OD and then you could advance it when ready.

That's another thing I hate, is the DLC prices for the extra courses. DLC, when it is done correctly, is a fantastic thing! Just look at the future DLC packs for Red Dead Redemption. They are making those packs worth the price, at least in my opinion, with what they are giving you. But when you start nickle and diming crap left and right (like 20 different courses in TW11 or this stuff in NCAA), it completely ruins DLC and the whole point behind it. You're supposed to add things to games, not intentionally leave stuff out just so you can "add" it through DLC later and try and nickle and dime every fan of your game simply to make a couple extra bucks.

JeffHCross
07-13-2010, 12:26 AM
ModNationRacers has been doing like $1.99 to $2.99 for professionally made custom carts and avatars ... like Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal.

Buzz Quiz World gives entirely new question packs as DLC for usually between $5.99 and $7.99. I find that is much, much easier to justify than anything EA has put the price tag on.

steelerfan
07-13-2010, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I had to change my underwear when I saw that 29.99 Power Pack.

I agree with Jeff, there should be a modestly priced single OD option.

Roy38
07-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Wait...I'm a little confused here. Are we only permitted to use one team for an online dynasty and then have to pay for the privilege for others?

gschwendt
07-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Wait...I'm a little confused here. Are we only permitted to use one team for an online dynasty and then have to pay for the privilege for others?
Out of the box, you can only host one Online Dynasty, however you can participate in as many as five Online Dynasties at one time.

I agree with others though, should have been a small price to host one additional OD for those that want to run a full-fledged OD and then run their own single-player OD. BTW, I'm thinking that the 3 is actually to host 3 TOTAL, not 3 additional. That would mean you're in essence paying $5 per OD at that price.

Kwizzy
07-13-2010, 10:36 AM

No you can participate in as many ODs as you want, but you can only host/be the commissioner of 1 without paying. Unfortunately I will have to pay up. :(

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Out of the box, you can only host one Online Dynasty, however you can participate in as many as five Online Dynasties at one time.

I agree with others though, should have been a small price to host one additional OD for those that want to run a full-fledged OD and then run their own single-player OD. BTW, I'm thinking that the 3 is actually to host 3 TOTAL, not 3 additional. That would mean you're in essence paying $5 per OD at that price.

From what I gathered by the menus it's 3 additional.

Roy38
07-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the fast response. The least they could have done was provide two hosting slots. That way we could still host a multi-team OD and still run a single player one in the process. I was wanting to host a single player Team Builder OD in order to fully use the dynasty wire application, but I guess I'll have to let that go. I guess we can hope they'll open up another hosting spot for us, but I'm sure they'll get plenty of people willing to pay the extra amount for the right. Sucks!

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the fast response. The least they could have done was provide two hosting slots. That way we could still host a multi-team OD and still run a single player one in the process. I was wanting to host a single player Team Builder OD in order to fully use the dynasty wire application, but I guess I'll have to let that go. I guess we can hope they'll open up another hosting spot for us, but I'm sure they'll get plenty of people willing to pay the extra amount for the right. Sucks!

Yeah I suggested this a couple times, unfortunately, suggesting to a dev on a marketing issue doesn't get too far. I've learned this with Tiger.

HuskerBlitz
07-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Man, getting the Power pack plus the game then pushes it near the $100 for a game. Ouch....

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 11:33 AM
The Power Pack doesn't interest me at all. Multiple OD slots is about all I'm interested in.

HuskerBlitz
07-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Yeah. I would be interested in the expanded OD slots as well as the extra TeamBuilder slots. But then again, for another $10 I get everything else, but I wouldn't use those.

Cipher 8
07-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah with Dynasty Wire and people wanting to host their own one-team dynasty, there should have been two free.

This.

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I read it wrong, Tommy was right...the packs to purchase allow you to be in 3 or 5 total.

morsdraconis
07-13-2010, 01:21 PM
I read it wrong, Tommy was right...the packs to purchase allow you to be in 3 or 5 total.

Wow, that's even more craptacular...

I gotta say, I'm pretty pissed about this and the fact that getting it used will result in $10 spent to play online.

Pretty crappy all around there...

Cipher 8
07-13-2010, 01:22 PM

Yep bummer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk)

cdj
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

To be the Commish of 3 or 5 total, just to make sure we're clear. I still agree it's too expensive though.

Kwizzy
07-13-2010, 01:49 PM
So here's a question, what if i am hosting an OD & it ends... will i have to buy the pack to start another or can i simply delete the previous one?

cdj
07-13-2010, 01:50 PM
I'd assume you can just delete it and regain that slot.

gschwendt
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
So here's a question, what if i am hosting an OD & it ends... will i have to buy the pack to start another or can i simply delete the previous one?
Yeah, if you retire from the ended OD, you can start a new OD.

Basically they just want to limit the number of dynasties that they have to store on their servers. If you delete your one, and start another one, then obviously you're only storing one dynasty.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Yeah, that's even worse. If it was 3 extra for that price, MAYBE. But only 2 extra? Complete and total ripoff.

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's even worse. If it was 3 extra for that price, MAYBE. But only 2 extra? Complete and total ripoff.

Yep, understandable. I think the price is high, but at the same time several ten's of thousands of people hosting, uploading, and downloading takes up server space. So decisions like this have to be made.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2010, 02:58 PM
Yep, understandable. I think the price is high, but at the same time several ten's of thousands of people hosting, uploading, and downloading takes up server space. So decisions like this have to be made.

Yeah, good point there. I don't even want to think about how much server space all those dynasties are gonna take up for EA. Still a ripoff price-wise, but from their standpoint and the servers, makes sense. At least with this one there is a somewhat logical reason behind the pricing rather than just trying to suck as much money from the players as possible like other games and their DLC.

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, good point there. I don't even want to think about how much server space all those dynasties are gonna take up for EA. Still a ripoff price-wise, but from their standpoint and the servers, makes sense. At least with this one there is a somewhat logical reason behind the pricing rather than just trying to suck as much money from the players as possible like other games and their DLC.

TeamBuilder is in the same sense.....the Dynasty Helpers on the other hand...nickel and dime the hell outta someone who wants to use those :D

JBHuskers
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Tiger faced the same issue this year when courses are $10.00.

The big stink is all of the courses so far have been $10.00, because they're new to Gen3 (PS3/360). What most people don't know is any other DLC of a course that has been in any of the Gen3 Tigers will be $5.00 this year. And also the DLC packs haven't even been announced yet. Last I knew marketing hadn't quite had the strategy on what they wanted to do quite yet.

It's a tough thing, but in the digital age, it's going to something we're going to have to live with not just with EA, but with all companies. I'm actually going to write an editorial on this same subject in a couple of weeks.

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2010, 03:05 PM
TeamBuilder is in the same sense.....the Dynasty Helpers on the other hand...nickel and dime the hell outta someone who wants to use those :D

Yeah, those Dynasty Helper prices are definitely an obvious nickle and dime attempt there. Thank God I never have a desire to use them and will never have to worry about purchasing them. I like my money. :D

SmoothPancakes
07-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Tiger faced the same issue this year when courses are $10.00.

The big stink is all of the courses so far have been $10.00, because they're new to Gen3 (PS3/360). What most people don't know is any other DLC of a course that has been in any of the Gen3 Tigers will be $5.00 this year. And also the DLC packs haven't even been announced yet. Last I knew marketing hadn't quite had the strategy on what they wanted to do quite yet.

It's a tough thing, but in the digital age, it's going to something we're going to have to live with not just with EA, but with all companies. I'm actually going to write an editorial on this same subject in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, granted I'm eventually gonna give in and shell out the $10 for some of those courses just because I want to be able to play them. As long as the company does the DLC correctly (actually gives you something worth the price and doesn't make it an obvious attempt to simply nickle and dime you) then I'm all for it. But when it get to the obvious nickle and dime DLCs, nothing turns me off of considering buying that DLC faster. At least make me feel special and feel like I'm actually getting something for the money. :D

ebin
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
To be the Commish of 3 or 5 total, just to make sure we're clear. I still agree it's too expensive though.

Too expensive, and poorly marketed. They should have offered each slot individually. "You get one slot for free, and each slot after that costs $4.99" sounds a lot better than "You can run a total of three dynasties for an additional $10!".

It'd be interesting to see how much it actually costs EA to maintain Dynasty Wire. I bet what they make on DLC more than covers the server costs.

spiker
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
So I just saw this and I'm not pleased at all. I wanted to reboot my OD from last year and run my solo dynasty online as well to take advantage of the dynasty wire and online recruiting. I will echo the idea for two free ODs. A premium should be on anything more than two as anything more than that would be the threshhold where you start to go above and beyond what I feel as "normal usage". So now I have to pay or choose? Plus, I'd be paying for two OD slots I won't even use. It's pretty misleading when Haumiller was touting "There's no reason to even do offline dynasty at all anymore". Yeah, it turns out there is, actually.

JBHuskers
07-15-2010, 10:25 AM
So I just saw this and I'm not pleased at all. I wanted to reboot my OD from last year and run my solo dynasty online as well to take advantage of the dynasty wire and online recruiting. I will echo the idea for two free ODs. A premium should be on anything more than two as anything more than that would be the threshhold where you start to go above and beyond what I feel as "normal usage". So now I have to pay or choose? Plus, I'd be paying for two OD slots I won't even use. It's pretty misleading when Haumiller was touting "There's no reason to even do offline dynasty at all anymore". Yeah, it turns out there is, actually.

Yep....fully agree.

gschwendt
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
To be clear, you're saying, "I'd be paying for two OD slots I won't even use", you are aware that you still get one free hosted OD, correct? Not sure if you're confusing JB's original assumption that it was for four total ODs or what.

CLW
07-15-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm leaning AGAINST paying to play my single team dynasty online. #1 $10 is too steep just for one dynasty; #2 They are already having issues with the servers. I can only imagine the fury the community will have when EA servers crash around December and people lose years of stats/vids/pics etc... #3 I can use a program like OS has created to keep track of stats and use EASW for my videos/screens and then upload them to photobucket/youtube. Granted that will require extra work, but it will serve as the same purpose.

morsdraconis
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm leaning AGAINST paying to play my single team dynasty online. #1 $10 is too steep just for one dynasty; #2 They are already having issues with the servers. I can only imagine the fury the community will have when EA servers crash around December and people lose years of stats/vids/pics etc... #3 I can use a program like OS has created to keep track of stats and use EASW for my videos/screens and then upload them to photobucket/youtube. Granted that will require extra work, but it will serve as the same purpose.

Already having issues with Dynasty Wire. People can't view my posts on Dynasty Wire at all and I can't view other people's posts. Comes up with an error for some reason.

Looks like I'm going to be starting my dynasty over offline and just doing that....

CLW
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Already having issues with Dynasty Wire. People can't view my posts on Dynasty Wire at all and I can't view other people's posts. Comes up with an error for some reason.

Looks like I'm going to be starting my dynasty over offline and just doing that....

That really sucks man. EA comes up with great ideas (online dynasty/franchise; Dynasty Wire; etc...). However, they have a poor (IMO) track record of how these ideas work/function once the game reaches the consumer the first year. By all accounts online franchise last year from Madden was a bust (No FA; salary cap; etc...) The 1st year of online dynasty there were all kinds of glitches/bugs and we still don't have coaching contracts or conference invites.

I'm definitely going to hold off and need to anyway as I need to find a solid slider set first.

EDIT: to the powers that be/people in the know I've always wondered something. How much time/resources does EA put into "Beta testing" new features/the game with the community to make sure it works/functions properly? Has anyone at EA ever explained to you the process of how many testers they have; how much access they have; how long do they have; how much money do they put into testing; how many employees are dedicated solely to testing. It seems to me that their quality assurance measures are somewhat lacking.

spiker
07-15-2010, 03:50 PM
To be clear, you're saying, "I'd be paying for two OD slots I won't even use", you are aware that you still get one free hosted OD, correct? Not sure if you're confusing JB's original assumption that it was for four total ODs or what.

Currently, I'm using the one free I've received for my own dynasty. I'd have to pay $10 for 3 extra OD's and that's the minimum, right? So then I'd use one to host my OD with other people. That leaves me with 2 slots I'd never use. Am I correct that this is how it would work?

gschwendt
07-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Currently, I'm using the one free I've received for my own dynasty. I'd have to pay $10 for 3 extra OD's and that's the minimum, right? So then I'd use one to host my OD with other people. That leaves me with 2 slots I'd never use. Am I correct that this is how it would work?You are correct, except you're actually paying $10 for two extra ODs so three total ODs.

If nothing else, I wish they would offer one extra OD for $5 because like Spiker, I couldn't ever see myself hosting three ODs but could see the benefit of two.

JBHuskers
07-15-2010, 04:07 PM
Currently, I'm using the one free I've received for my own dynasty. I'd have to pay $10 for 3 extra OD's and that's the minimum, right? So then I'd use one to host my OD with other people. That leaves me with 2 slots I'd never use. Am I correct that this is how it would work?

$10 to "host" three total OD's

spiker
07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Could you start a separate OD with a different PSN handle?

cdj
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM

Good question. I want to think Online Pass is tied to the console and not individual PSN names though.

JBHuskers
07-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Good question. I want to think Online Pass is tied to the console and not individual PSN names though.

I'm almost certain cdj is right on this.

razorback44
07-19-2010, 12:00 PM
I would be interested to find this out as well.

I got around the single host thing last year by creating two other PSN's. That way I was able to host 3 OD's at one time. It sucked switching between them when I needed to advance but I would rather do that then pay $10.