PDA

View Full Version : 1st play from offense, have favorite?

chromeatari
07-08-2012, 05:18 AM
I open every game up with the China Special from Strong Twins. The ball goes to RB 99% of the time. I feel like if you come out in a 2 back old school set people can't resists blitzing Hell out of u. They convince themselves its a run because the game just started. Also I like how it takes out having to decide what I'm doing to open the game. It's my way of starting out offense with a wild card!

EDJ
07-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I don't pick a set play. But I like to throw out a unique formation package to make the defense guess. Like showing 3 WR 1 TE 1 RB and being in a Quads look. I have an audible for those types of formations to give me balance, if I see blitz I'll stick with my pre-chosen play, a short or medium pass. If the defense audibles out of their blitz to cover everyone, I'll audible into a read option or something. And since I have the package on the field, most of the playbook is open to me to go with more basic looks and really keep the defense guessing since they'll be stuck with my no-huddle.

souljahbill
07-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I typically run the first play to get a feel for how my blocking will be that game.

chromeatari
07-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't blocking be dependant on slide protection?

MrDupree
07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Pistol Ace - TE crossers. Every time.

chromeatari
07-10-2012, 03:57 AM
Pistol Ace - TE crossers. Every time.
Know it well!

quest247
07-11-2012, 08:45 PM
:cool:i formation twins HB toss if man to man i stay or audible to PA power pass, hit the TE deep or HB in flats on a hot route. If zone audible to HB power and run to weakest side. 5yds or more everytime :cool:

irishfbfan1
07-12-2012, 12:27 AM
I think the game in real life has pretty much trickled its way down to the video game as more and more coaches in real life, and as more and more players of the video series are now taking the approach of taking what the defense gives them. This includes taking in account reading the box for possible run checks, reading the corners on pass reads especially quick game, and of course how many safeties and the MOFO/MOFC concept to determine correct calls for all of these situations.

Lets face it, the days of calling a play in the huddle, and then coming out and running that called play no matter what the defense is in are over.
Coaches as well as the video gamers are now trying to get out of dead plays. We are all striving for high pct plays vs the defense at hand. With this in mind instead of calling plays I like to come out in specific formations. I have specific plays that I call from these formations that are not in my formation audibles or regular audibles. I also have a scheme for each of these formations which will include man beaters, zone beaters,inside runs and outside runs from power run sets etc...I too like to find plays that are packaged together like what Dana does at WVU. We do have some plays in the madden and NCAA series that allows us to run combined concepts that are very different conceptually that put a strain on the defense, and most of these plays involve screens to one side and a basic pass concept to another.

As I said I am more formation based when it comes to play calling. After I read the defense and decide if run or pass I decide on the play within that formation. Hot Routing is another way to expand your offense and the ability to recogize coverages, the knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of these coverages, and finally the pass concepts that attack the weaknesses of these coverages will help you not only in your play calling, but will also help you grow and put your own spin on whatever offense you run. The ability to come out in a 2x2 set and read the defense
as zone and have a cover 2 beater to one side while having a cover 3 beater to the other either by the makeup of the play itself, or by simply Hot Routing to this form of play calling is something else that is not oly done in real life but in the video game as well.

For those of you who have never played in real life or have coached you would be surprised how similar the video game,or should I say how real life like it can really be. Its all in how you approach it!

irishfbfan1

jolson88
07-12-2012, 01:05 AM
I think the game in real life has pretty much trickled its way down to the video game as more and more coaches in real life, and as more and more players of the video series are now taking the approach of taking what the defense gives them. This includes taking in account reading the box for possible run checks, reading the corners on pass reads especially quick game, and of course how many safeties and the MOFO/MOFC concept to determine correct calls for all of these situations.

Wow, Irish. I had never heard of MOFO/MOFC before. Now I'm very grateful for you mentioning it :). Searching for resources to read up on it led to me a couple of strategy sites I wasn't familiar with either (lots of new reading :D). Thanks much :).

JeffHCross
07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
I Form - HB Iso.

No matter how much I try to plan otherwise, I almost inevitably find myself opening with that. It's much like the King's Pawn Opening in chess. I just do it instinctively.