PDA

View Full Version : Reasons an offense will struggle closer and closer it gets to goaline....

chromeatari
07-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Your thoughts, if I knew the answer my offense would not be struggling right now :fp:

Dr Death
07-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Your thoughts, if I knew the answer my offense would not be struggling right now :fp:

You'll hear the usual stuff... the field shrinks, blah, blah, blah... personally, I think some teams get it in their mind and it just becomes a mental block for them. I throw the ball all the time and have never struggled in the red zone or inside the 5. Part of it is reading the defense, getting the ball out quickly and accurately, and part of it is just not being afraid of being down there. I have a bunch of plays I can run from anywhere on the field, and inside the 5 they work just as well as they do at the 50. I do read the defense and know what to look for... but my feeling is you are probably over-thinking things when you get down there.

chromeatari
07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I feel its mental thing too. I can lull myself to sleep on way down field. ALSO, I think I'm guilty of using the plays that got me into RZ, to score in RZ.

chromeatari
07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I hate urban myers! But, dude was awesome on ESPN I'll admit. He talked about "staying on schedule", aim for 3-5 on 1st down and then half distance to 1st down marker on 2nd. I love that and realize its not set of rules but good guide lines. But I think in RZ you need to bail on idea of it. Follow what I'm saying?

morsdraconis
07-07-2012, 08:56 AM
It's definitely a mental thing combined with trying to run something different once you get into the redzone. There's this antiquated thought process that you have to punch it into the endzone by running the ball when quite a bit of the teams that get the ball to that area, get there by throwing the ball.

Use the plays that got you there and you'll be fine, but don't be afraid to bait them into thinking you're going to go with the old standby of running the ball up the middle only to go to the outside against them. ;)

souljahbill
07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
We're talking about in the game, right? Whenever I can't score in between the 5 and goalline is because my team suddenly forgot how to block and everyone starts running through the my line like a bat outta hell.

Duttzz
08-16-2012, 06:31 PM
I really believe the smaller field is the biggest issue if you're a pass first guy (like me.) Here's a little vid I did on the subject of throwing near the endzone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXAyBOhd1VU

Dr Death
08-18-2012, 06:59 AM
I didn't watch your video, but the "field is smaller" is total horseshit. Read the D, make the right read and hit the open guy. Or motion someone to create an opening. It's not rocket science. Too many people - not meaning YOU - are so stuck in the old mind-set of "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football that they fail to realize the benefits of spreading the field.

Football - whilst changing at a snail's pace - is still in the 1960's... open it up and don't be afraid. Ask yourself this... Do you want to play football in a phone-booth or use the entire field, which is 53.3 yards wide? Answer that and you'll realize what I am saying is the truth.

EDIT: Just watched your video. Great stuff! Exactly taught as it should be! Props to you!!!

JeffHCross
08-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Reasons an offense will struggle closer and closer it gets to goaline....
#1: JeffHCross is at the controls.

Death, I think it's an exaggeration to say TOTAL horseshit. Plenty of route combinations won't work at the GL because of the compressed vertical space. I agree that every offense has plays that will be unaffected, but not everyone knows those plays. Or, if you're me, just plain has bad luck.