PDA

View Full Version : Madden getting Connected Careers & Infinity Engine (physics)

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Madden getting Connect Careers & Infinity Engine (physics)
http://www.gamesradar.com/box-score-podcast-011/

In a hilarious and exclusive Part 1, Rich Grisham talks with Creative Director Mike Young and writer Todd Zuniga about how their experiences as kids got crafted into an all-new universe in Madden NFL 13’s Connected Careers. From ridiculous hijinks as youngsters to cross-check inspired fistfights, Young and Zuniga have been creating fictional sports universes for 20 years. Now, for the first time, Madden gets a massive does of their creativity.

In Part 2, Rich Grisham talks with Producer Josh Loomis – or, as Rich now calls him, the “Godfather of Franchise Modes” - about everything associated with the massive Connected Careers mode, from how it got started in the first place to the different ways you’ll interact in Madden’s all-new universe.

In Part 3, Rich Grisham talks with Producer Victor Lugo about the all-new Infinity Engine, a powerful new physics systems that changes the way players interact with each other on the field. They talk about how it came to be, the first time they started to see it in action, the reaction from the community, and much more. Don’t worry – there’s not too much math or science being discussed, even though Victor could have busted it out at any moment.

ryby6969
06-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Physics and connected careers revealed. Can you comment on what made it to NCAA?

http://www.gamesradar.com/box-score-podcast-011/

Damn, G taking my thunder. :(

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Holy crap. Those will definitely have to wait to be listened to until tonight after all the E3 pressers are done or tomorrow morning.

Deuce
06-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Hope the engine is in NCAA!

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Hope the engine is in NCAA!

Has the Infinity Engine been mentioned or hinted at or rumored before today? I can't remember. But if it hasn't, that could possibly be it. If it had been announced in NCAA during the gameplay webcast, that would have essentially given it away for Madden.

Deuce
06-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Just listened to the engine podcast. Damn! Sounds really great. Some of the scenarios they describe sound incredible.

ryby6969
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
The videos on spike are crazy. Please tell me this is in NCAA!

Kwizzy
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
The videos on spike are crazy. Please tell me this is in NCAA!

If it is, it's complete news to me. :mad:

xMrHitStickx904
06-04-2012, 03:25 PM
yeah, this engine sounds/looks great.

ryby6969
06-04-2012, 03:30 PM
If it is, it's complete news to me. :mad:

That would be such a major fail on their part. :(

Deuce
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
That would be such a major fail on their part. :(

No kidding. Who's going to play NCAA after Madden comes out if the difference is that 'monumental'?

xMrHitStickx904
06-04-2012, 03:39 PM
No kidding. Who's going to play NCAA after Madden comes out if the difference is that 'monumental'?

Not this guy. If the new engine really makes a huge difference, no way I'd even touch NCAA.

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Rynoaid from Tradition Sports talking about Infinity Engine (http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/ask-me-about-rtp-infinity-engine-i-know-it-all.78660/) and Connected Careers (http://forums.traditionsportsonline.com/threads/ask-me-about-ccm-i-know-it-all.78658/)

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Official blogs from EA
Connected Careers (http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/feature/connected-careers)
Gameplay Part 2 (http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/feature/gameplay-part2)

skipwondah33
06-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Man I've been excited since hearing the news but haven't found the video yet.

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Man I've been excited since hearing the news but haven't found the video yet.A short video is on the official site, under the Gameplay Part 2 article.

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 03:49 PM
More video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ9Kpmd60qQ

skipwondah33
06-04-2012, 03:50 PM
A short video is on the official site, under the Gameplay Part 2 article.Yeah seen that one but I want the sexy one from E3 lol.

Thanks G

skipwondah33
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Oh thats sexy right there...just beautiful

Rudy
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
E3 one. Need to read and see more but I'm excited! What about NCAA though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WeyuxDRAz4

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Let's keep the NCAA physics discussion in one thread instead of spreading it out everywhere...
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?5121-EA-SPORTS-at-E3-2012

cdj
06-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Connected Careers Dev Blog:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/connected-careers-developer-blog

Connected Careers Community Blog by rynoaid:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/online-connected-careers-community-blog

Connected Careers Community Blog by RedZoneD25:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/connected-careers-community-blog

Infinity Engine Dev Blog:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/infinity-engine-developer-blog

Inifnity Engine Community Blog by Shopmaster:
http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news/article/community-blog-infinity-engine

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 06:57 PM
so you can play in a franchise as one player while your opponent controls a whole team ?

Rudy
06-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I think so but I'm still confused Ram.

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I haven't had a chance to read any blogs yet, but can someone tell me, single-player dynasty still exists? Because outside of a couple months as part of an OD in NCAA 12, I don't do this online, multi-player dynasty/franchise stuff. I'm single-player dynasty/franchise through and through.

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 07:12 PM
I haven't had a chance to read any blogs yet, but can someone tell me, single-player dynasty still exists? Because outside of a couple months as part of an OD in NCAA 12, I don't do this online, multi-player dynasty/franchise stuff. I'm single-player dynasty/franchise through and through.I don't know anything for certain but I would bet $5* that you can still do offline single player.

*only first person to respond that they'll take that bet gets to hold me to that.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 07:17 PM
they had Irvin there but they didnt really say anything about the super Star mode at all

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
they had Irvin there but they didnt really say anything about the super Star mode at all

Because from the sounds of it, there is no such thing as Super Star mode anymore, it's part of the Connected Careers Mode. It would basically be like NCAA taking Dynasty, Online Dynasty and Road to Glory and combining it into one giant mode.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 07:23 PM
I don't know anything for certain but I would bet $5* that you can still do offline single player.

*only first person to respond that they'll take that bet gets to hold me to that.

I read on Tradition Sports that there is no offline anymore. You'll have to be online to play CC, even as a single player.*

*Take it fwiw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM

Offline Franchise, Online Franchise, and Superstar are all gone. They have all been replaced by CC. CC allows you to play as a single player just as Superstar did.

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 07:25 PM
I read on Tradition Sports that there is no offline anymore. You'll have to be online to play CC, even as a single player.*

*Take it fwiw.If so, that's going to ruffle some feathers, especially if you have to be connected throughout your entire game like you do today. I hated starting a game, losing internet connection for whatever reason, only to have to restart the game.

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2012, 07:26 PM
If so, that's going to ruffle some feathers, especially if you have to be connected throughout your entire game like you do today. I hated starting a game, losing internet connection for whatever reason, only to have to restart the game.

Yeah, that's definitely gonna piss a bunch of people off.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 07:26 PM
If so, that's going to ruffle some feathers, especially if you have to be connected throughout your entire game like you do today. I hated starting a game, losing internet connection for whatever reason, only to have to restart the game.

Yeah, I'm not sure.

JBHuskers
06-04-2012, 07:29 PM
There are probably a decent amount of console owners without internet don't you think?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 07:35 PM
There are probably a decent amount of console owners without internet don't you think?

In Nebraska, yeah.

Rudy
06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm reading this new mode is supposed to be good, even for us offline guys. I don't think you need to be online but EA is not explaining this well IMO. I'd like to hear more about offline franchise improvements and not how some stupid superstar mode can tweet to me while I play.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 08:00 PM

definetly a majority, not just a decent amount

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 08:38 PM
There are probably a decent amount of console owners without internet don't you think? Yeah, but ... several people ... have expressed that they don't really let that influence them anymore.

definetly a majority, not just a decent amountA majority? I wouldn't think so still today. A significant amount, yes, but over 50% of console owners don't have Internet?

Hell, Sony's press conference just said that 80% of PS3s + Vita's are online. So, guess that answers that.

illwill10
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Basically you can use any players(I think legends too) and play a single player. You can use Game Face to create a created player. Create a background(high pick), low pick, undrafted) and playstyle. your background will describe how your ratings will be when you start(high pick= high ratings), but will also will determine expectations. You have goals obtainable XP.

My question is can you have multiple Careers. I didnt see a load file, only a resume. I dont want to have to retire a player to play a different player/coach. I like running multiple players at the same time.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Yeah, but ... several people ... have expressed that they don't really let that influence them anymore.
A majority? I wouldn't think so still today. A significant amount, yes, but over 50% of console owners don't have Internet?

Hell, Sony's press conference just said that 80% of PS3s + Vita's are online. So, guess that answers that.

just cause people have internet doesnt mean they let their kids connect to it just because they have a game console..the amount of people who actually play some mode that needs to be online = a head to head game, isnt enough for a game to survive in sales its a small number compared to all who buy the game and just play offline with friends or alone

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 08:58 PM
Basically you can use any players(I think legends too) and play a single player. You can use Game Face to create a created player. Create a background(high pick), low pick, undrafted) and playstyle. your background will describe how your ratings will be when you start(high pick= high ratings), but will also will determine expectations. You have goals obtainable XP.

My question is can you have multiple Careers. I didnt see a load file, only a resume. I dont want to have to retire a player to play a different player/coach. I like running multiple players at the same time.

yeah, but i would still expect a more self absorbed/personal experience from a super star mode than a franchise..they may well be connected..but if i get great or HOF worthy, does the game tell me about it? does it stop and take note of my accomplishments ../ are there specific animations for a single player career as opposed to a GM,coach or other mode ?

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Ok. Got some clarification.

You can play CC offline, however you will lose some of the web/Twitter functionality by doing so. That makes sense.

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM
just cause people have internet doesnt mean they let their kids connect to it just because they have a game console..80% of PS3s + Vitas are online. That blows away the "majority" theory. I still agree with you that it's a higher number than people think, but it's certainly not the majority.

My question is can you have multiple Careers. I didnt see a load file, only a resume. I dont want to have to retire a player to play a different player/coach. I like running multiple players at the same time.Many EA games put "Resume" as the most prominent option, and hide the "Load" in another menu. I did see "Create a New Character" on the option screens for RG3's "retirement", so that implies that you can create a new character without retiring from the game. Also, FIFA has a very similar Franchise mode, and I'm quite sure it allows multiple careers.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Ok. Got some clarification.

You can play CC offline, however you will lose some of the web/Twitter functionality by doing so. That makes sense.

thats all predetermined fictional stuff anyway, right ?

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
thats all predetermined fictional stuff anyway, right ?

No. Not from what I understand. It's their version of the Dynasty website, and the ability to get Tweets of news items from your CC on your mobile device. At least from what I understand.

Read the blog and it will make more sense, I think.

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I think he meant the Tweets. Which, most likely, are "dynamic" in terms of they react to your current world/universe, but are picking from either a list of pre-existing "Tweets" or combining different ones in a logical way. So, pre-determined yet dynamic.

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I think he meant the Tweets. Which, most likely, are "dynamic" in terms of they react to your current world/universe, but are picking from either a list of pre-existing "Tweets" or combining different ones in a logical way. So, pre-determined yet dynamic.

yep, pretty much what I meant or asked

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
yep, pretty much what I meant or asked

Well, from what I understand, there will be in-game Tweets (on your console) from Skip Bayless, Rich Eisen etc. From my understanding, the real Tweets (on your mobile device) will keep you up to date on news from your CC (trades etc.), they won't be the fake opinion stuff you'll see on the console.

jaymo76
06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
Wow! This sounds pretty impressive. I really didn't see this coming. I will need to see some videos before I commit to buying but let's just say that Madden 13 has moved closer to the "yes" category.

jaymo76
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Wait so I just heard that you can no longer import NCAA draft classes? Has that been confirmed? If so that is disappointing to hear.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Wait so I just heard that you can no longer import NCAA draft classes? Has that been confirmed? If so that is disappointing to hear.

From what I understand, that is true.

xMrHitStickx904
06-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Not sure if anyone has played FIFA 12, but if so & Madden 13 is as smooth as that , we're gonna have a good game on our hands. Mind you, I love NCAA & College Football more than the NFL (it's close), but I've been playing Madden more over the last few years. I'm excited to get my hands on it.

illwill10
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
With Scheme/Team-Based OVRs does it change the way how players play on different teams?

Basically will a WR from OAK play the same for a team like Pats who prefer possession WRs. I am guessing the ratings will stay the same if they switch teams just the OVRs will change.

gschwendt
06-05-2012, 03:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=arYANNZ8I-E

psuexv
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Video on CC from EA

Sorry if it was posted already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxrEaYl7Tw&feature=youtu.be

psuexv
06-06-2012, 03:17 PM
So you can set up a league and have every play as one position. That's cool.

JeffHCross
06-06-2012, 06:45 PM
So you can set up a league and have every play as one position. That's cool.Way Too Early Prediction: This will be coming to NCAA at some point, soon. It's in NHL and Madden this year. I imagine if it's not in FIFA already (I'm not aware enough about FIFA to know), it's coming soon, because the offline Dynasty mode in FIFA is very similar to the setup for Connected Careers.

jaymo76
06-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Video on CC from EA

Sorry if it was posted already

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxrEaYl7Tw&feature=youtu.be

Thanks man! I have been waiting to see a video for CON. CAREERS.

psuexv
06-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Way Too Early Prediction: This will be coming to NCAA at some point, soon. It's in NHL and Madden this year. I imagine if it's not in FIFA already (I'm not aware enough about FIFA to know), it's coming soon, because the offline Dynasty mode in FIFA is very similar to the setup for Connected Careers.

I didn't word that very clearly after I reread it. You can set up a league and have everyone play the same position, like all QBs. It isn't like the 6v6 stuff with NHL.

psuexv
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I do think it will be cool if they can add some sort of OTP play to connected careers.

JeffHCross
06-06-2012, 09:42 PM
I didn't word that very clearly after I reread it. You can set up a league and have everyone play the same position, like all QBs. It isn't like the 6v6 stuff with NHL.Oh, I knew exactly what you meant. My response was in general to Connected Careers, not specifically to what you were saying about one position. Though I do think that aspect will be included, since both Madden and NHL have it (and FIFA is similar).

psuexv
06-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh, I knew exactly what you meant. My response was in general to Connected Careers, not specifically to what you were saying about one position. Though I do think that aspect will be included, since both Madden and NHL have it (and FIFA is similar).

Cool, just wanted to make sure.

ram29jackson
06-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I hope in a regular connected career franchise you can still pick your own coach..like Vince Lombardi

ram29jackson
06-06-2012, 11:50 PM
LOL I wonder if Papa John's will have any Madden release day deals on pizza ?

jaymo76
06-07-2012, 12:34 AM
Wow! So I just found out that you CANNOT EDIT ANYTHING in connected careers this year (player numbers, equipment, positions, ratings, etc.). This frankly is a huge blow to the game. I was dissapointed with no import NCAA rosters but adding this to the mix really dissapoints me. I am a person who loves to edit players and not being able to do it may mean MADDEN 13 falls back into the "pass on it this year" category.

illwill10
06-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Not even Numbers or Equipment?
I dont want to be stuck with a RB or CB with a number in the 40s(Besides 42-44)

illwill10
06-07-2012, 01:07 AM
I am already ready for CC. I already got my GameFace ready. I will use the same gameface for all my players and coach.

TeamBuilding Coach for Raiders.
Balanced QB(6'5 240) from Vandy from for Chiefs
Power RB(6'1 230) from Utah State.
3-4 Pass Rush OLB from Virginia

psuexv
06-07-2012, 11:06 AM
CC as a player with Josh Looman from EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYSbHR40Jus

psuexv
06-07-2012, 11:14 AM
One question I have is if I'm a player and another user is a coach, what happens during our user game. Like in NCAA last year, even if I was an OC I controlled the entire team in user games.

gschwendt
06-07-2012, 11:27 AM
One question I have is if I'm a player and another user is a coach, what happens during our user game. Like in NCAA last year, even if I was an OC I controlled the entire team in user games.
It's been confirmed that the player will only participate when he's on the field. I think if both are players, it will supersim the plays where neither is involved.

psuexv
06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
It's been confirmed that the player will only participate when he's on the field. I think if both are players, it will supersim the plays where neither is involved.

That's pretty cool. It will definitely be interesting/potentially frustrating if I'm a HB and have to watch someone torch me D :) Any chance you have any info regarding NCAA and if users are coordinators.

gschwendt
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
That's pretty cool. It will definitely be interesting/potentially frustrating if I'm a HB and have to watch someone torch me D :) Any chance you have any info regarding NCAA and if users are coordinators.So far as I'm aware, it will be the same as it was in NCAA12.

ram29jackson
06-07-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3x7KX84aRk&feature=g-all-u

Rudy
06-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Steve Noah of OS has said he's talked to the Madden devs about zig zag running and they will look into fixing it. It is certainly noticeable still in both Madden and NCAA. I felt it was better in Madden last year and while NCAA is smoother this year I still see it alive and well in both titles. If you implement Infinity it would be nice to see it also represent the player movement. When you watch videos it's the one thing that clearly reminds you it's a video game. I hope it's fixed.

jaymo76
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I kind of thought that INFINITY would be more noticable but much of the game hits/contact look very much like Madden 12/NCAA 12. Pasta Padre was saying that the effects of INFINITY are very, very subtle.

Rudy
06-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I was hoping to see it more on the way players moved and for the OL/DL (allow true DE outside rush) but they are taking baby steps with it. People have compared this to the NHL transition so I'll just have to accept it. I do like the vids I've seen on it for the tackles. It will make that part fresh and since you see a tackle on every play it will make a difference.

More than anything though I would rather see zig-zag running gone. The NCAA team could still do more in that area too regardless of Infinity. I would love to see an option for this like the speed threshold. Let us tone down the acceleration and/or agility ratings so guys lose more speed when turning like the old days. I hate seeing a runner zig zag back and forth and barely lose any speed.

jaymo76
06-07-2012, 10:55 PM
Things keep getting worse and worse. Now it has been confirmed that you CANNOT use custom playbooks in Madden 13. Wow!

ram29jackson
06-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Things keep getting worse and worse. Now it has been confirmed that you CANNOT use custom playbooks in Madden 13. Wow!

dont worry, theyll bring it back in 3 years as a new feature...again.

ram29jackson
06-07-2012, 11:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS6qfDCXvvg&feature=g-all-u

ram29jackson
06-08-2012, 02:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4xhPtM6js&feature=g-user-u

Rudy
06-08-2012, 05:04 AM
Does anyone know how the scouting has changed? I'm hoping it's actually useful this year. We need to be able to scout more people and we need basic combine numbers.

souljahbill
06-08-2012, 06:35 AM
I kind of thought that INFINITY would be more noticable but much of the game hits/contact look very much like Madden 12/NCAA 12. Pasta Padre was saying that the effects of INFINITY are very, very subtle.

That's what I was thinking when watching Madden videos. I don't notice anything really different.

skipwondah33
06-08-2012, 07:44 AM
I was hoping to see it more on the way players moved and for the OL/DL (allow true DE outside rush) but they are taking baby steps with it. People have compared this to the NHL transition so I'll just have to accept it. I do like the vids I've seen on it for the tackles. It will make that part fresh and since you see a tackle on every play it will make a difference.

More than anything though I would rather see zig-zag running gone. The NCAA team could still do more in that area too regardless of Infinity. I would love to see an option for this like the speed threshold. Let us tone down the acceleration and/or agility ratings so guys lose more speed when turning like the old days. I hate seeing a runner zig zag back and forth and barely lose any speed.Shopmaster confirmed for me that the Physics will effect everything. Running, cutting, route running, movement, etc

skipwondah33
06-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Things keep getting worse and worse. Now it has been confirmed that you CANNOT use custom playbooks in Madden 13. Wow!I believe that is for the Connected Careers feature or whatever, not Online games.

I could careless about CC, Offline or any of that other stuff. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay is my only concern.

gschwendt
06-08-2012, 07:52 AM
I believe that is for the Connected Careers feature or whatever, not Online games.

I could careless about CC, Offline or any of that other stuff. Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay is my only concern.
I've seen several responses regarding custom playbooks. I've seen some say they were removed altogether and others say you just can't use them online. Either way it's lame. Since I used a custom playbook on all of NCAA12, it would be hard to go back. That's one thing that may prevent me from jumping into Madden this year.

Rudy
06-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Shopmaster confirmed for me that the Physics will effect everything. Running, cutting, route running, movement, etc

I don't think it's doing much with running and cutting. There were quite a few complaints at E3 about zig-zag running which is still pretty apparent when watching the videos. I'm just hoping that one day when I watch a video of a broadcast cam on Madden I feel it looks like feel football. We're not there yet. The Madden devs did say they would look into tuning this area after E3.

Off topic but when I watch a highlight video of the Show it looks and feels real. It's because the animations and player movement are great. NCAA isn't close and Madden still isn't there either. Here is a 16 inning game I won against the Cubs. It was a great win. Rookie Brett Pill hit for the cycle, got thrown out at home in the 14th and had an amazing finish at the plate in 16.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G2NCFhLut4&feature=plcp

I think Madden is getting better with their cut scenes and presentation. But the lack of foot planting combined with zig zag running really hurts the look and feel imo. I think the Seattle vs. SF video looks great. A lot of great presentation elements with the lineups, sidelines, etc. But when you watch the Ginn return at 8:20 you can see the lack of foot planting when you bounce back and forth and it just isn't right. I don't like how the replay system is switching between camera angles for 3 separate looks. NCAA did that two years ago and I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. The spline replay system isn't for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAmWM-kbWQ&feature=relmfu

More zig-zag running at 2:00 and 2:40. This lack of foot planting and penalty for change of direction affects everything and I want to see this better. It's just not smooth and I find it hurts my user defense more than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOh0RQylM6E&feature=player_embedded#!

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM

No custom playbooks, no draft classes, no editing of players, RTP isn't overwhelmingly noticeable but very subtle for Madden 13. I'm beginning to think about cancelling my pre-order. I'll just use the money I would have spent on Madden on buying both NHL 13 and FIFA 13.

souljahbill
06-08-2012, 09:43 AM
No custom playbooks, no draft classes, no editing of players, RTP isn't overwhelmingly noticeable but very subtle for Madden 13. I'm beginning to think about cancelling my pre-order. I'll just use the money I would have spent on Madden on buying both NHL 13 and FIFA 13.

Sheesh. That doesn't sound good.

SmoothPancakes
06-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Sheesh. That doesn't sound good.

It's amazing how perspectives change when all the info comes out. :D

Many people were cancelling their pre-orders for NCAA or thinking about it because NCAA didn't have RTP, now we find out RTP is going to be very subtle and not as in your face as we thought, as well as the claims it only affects tackling and nothing else and other claims that it affects multiple things but very subtly, etc.

Now we're finding all these major negatives about Madden and it's new connected careers mode, along with other aspects of the game (playbooks), and I'm sure I'm not the only one now considering cancelling my Madden pre-order.

skipwondah33
06-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm still definitely getting it. Likely not getting NCAA though

skipwondah33
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
I've seen several responses regarding custom playbooks. I've seen some say they were removed altogether and others say you just can't use them online. Either way it's lame. Since I used a custom playbook on all of NCAA12, it would be hard to go back. That's one thing that may prevent me from jumping into Madden this year.I've used one my entire time playing Madden, actually have two that I've created for different teams I play with. That would stuck but after not having them for so long wouldn't be a deal breaker. Soon as I get the game I play with every team's playbook to find the way I'll use anyway. It will really hurt on D as I had every 3-4 formation in my book as well as some others the Steelers stock Def Book doesn't have.

ram29jackson
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM
its been the case year after year. Why are they unable to add and keep stuff?
Why do they have to keep shifting in and out and trading ?

Rudy
06-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I think people are downplaying RTP a little too much. Steve Noah of OS said it was big (http://www.operationsports.com/previews/149/madden-nfl-13-infinity-engine-hands-on/).

"Well, I'm here to tell you the infinity engine is indeed legit. It's downright unbelievable actually. Call it a "fresh coat of paint on the same old game" if you want to but I love it.

I played a couple of games last night with some various members of the media and came away very impressed. Sure it's not perfect, you will see limbs getting bent in painful directions occasionally, even see a body slide or rotate a little awkwardly, but all in all, the new Infinity Engine the Madden team has implemented is unbelievable.

I must have seen at least 60 different animations in what little time I had to play with Madden last night, but every one of them made me smile."

Jon Robinson of ESPN gave Madden 13 best sports game of E3 (http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/tech/post/_/id/899/e3-conference-our-first-impressions).

"Jon Robinson: “Madden NFL 13.” The new physics engine got gamers reacting like I haven’t seen since the invention of the Hit Stick. People were jumping up and down after sending receivers helicoptering through the air, and the way the runners fight for every yard now that there are no longer pre-determined tackles makes a world of difference."

I'm not going to defend cutting options out of the game like importing draft classes, edits, etc. I hate it when we take steps backwards. But I do think franchise mode will be significantly better than last year. Last year Madden's franchise just wasn't good enough. No question NCAA's dynasty kills it and they took another step forward with scouting. I am very much in favour of getting rid of the e-bay style bidding and think the new free agency will be better. Players now come to you during the season about re-signing. There are story lines tied to draft picks and some off the field stuff apparently. I don't think Madden's franchise will ever be as good as NCAA dynasty but I do think it will be better this year and not worse even with the cuts of some features (at least for me).

A Q & A: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/554495-madden-popular-questions-answered.html

JeffHCross
06-08-2012, 09:47 PM
dont worry, theyll bring it back in 3 years as a new feature...again.Next generation will hit before then, so ......... longer.

jaymo76
06-09-2012, 01:37 AM

Based on what I have seen thus far I really don't want NCAA 14 to have connected careers. I am not willing to lose any stuff we have now.

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Based on what I have seen thus far I really don't want NCAA 14 to have connected careers. I am not willing to lose any stuff we have now.

Amen. I could deal with no draft classes because I haven't bought Madden new or used in the fall since Madden 09. Madden 10 and 11 I both bought in June for long enough to get achievements and then sell back off on eBay, and I haven't bought Madden 12 at all yet because eBay prices are still too high for me. So draft classes aren't really a deal breaker for me.

But being unable to edit players (sometimes I end up required to fix equipment on a random player or two that stands out in a game, fix some numbers, or in the case of EA fucked up (from time to time) progression system, I have to go and manually edit various players around the nation to either tone them down from super-progression or give a boost because they didn't get enough progression to meet the numbers they put up on the field) or being able to use a custom playbook, which I have used EXCLUSIVELY from day one in NCAA 12, hell no, those are dealbreakers right there.

After finally getting custom playbooks, no way in hell will I support anything that would potentially require the removal of custom playbooks (even if just for a year or two) or player editing. It's call keep the damn thing out of the game and work on it another year and figure out how to keep and get player editing and custom playbooks to work with this new system.

jaymo76
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Smooth,

When I picked up Madden last year (from season pass) I played one play now game as my Raiders versus the Skins. Then for the rest of the night/morning I worked on two custom playbooks and edited my players as well as some of the other players in the league. I didn't get my first dynasty game in until late the next day. Taking customization away, even if it's only for one year is a big step backwards.

Now I will get Madden 13 this year via season pass. However, the game will have to play AMAZING in order to convince me to purchase. I'm sure it's not possible but if the developers can somehow patch in FULL EDITING (ala Madden 12) then I will get this game. Until I hear that... probably not.

Rudy
06-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Madden was only in alpha at E3. Still plenty of time to tune. This article on Kotaku was said by EA's Justin Dewiel to be a good article.

http://kotaku.com/5916961/madden-13-is-mostly-law+abiding-in-its-physicsthough-it-does-jaywalk-at-times

Rudy
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM
OS Preview on Connected Careers: http://www.operationsports.com/previews/151/madden-nfl-13-connected-careers/

JeffHCross
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Many people were cancelling their pre-orders for NCAA or thinking about it because NCAA didn't have RTP, now we find out RTP is going to be very subtle and not as in your face as we thought, as well as the claims it only affects tackling and nothing else and other claims that it affects multiple things but very subtly, etc.I think gamers, on the whole, have a complete misconception of what "real-time physics" means for a game. Games with "physics engines" are still animation-driven, and just as animation-driven as non-physics based games (like NCAA or previous versions of Madden). The only difference is now some (and maybe all, but not necessarily all) of the animations are procedurally derived rather than using canned motion capture. So implementing physics is not like turning on a light switch. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they put full physics on for the tackling but still are using canned animations for other aspects of the game, like blocking or catching. I don't know either of those to be true, I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

jaymo76
06-09-2012, 03:09 PM
That article was interesting but it didn't address any concerns or omissions from CC. I am still trying to find out if the ability to play other games during the week has also been removed (like FIFA and NHL). I get the feeling that is no longer an option.

JeffHCross
06-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I am still trying to find out if the ability to play other games during the week has also been removed (like FIFA and NHL). I get the feeling that is no longer an option.If memory serves, one article (talking about GM Connected, I believe, not Connected Careers) said that the ability to play all the games during the week was still in "offline" mode, but not "online". Though the line has blurred about what that distinction really means.

Rudy
06-09-2012, 03:31 PM
EA thought they were simplifying things by putting everything under one option but they have just confused everyone. They should have separate blogs on each type. I only want to hear about offline franchise. Stop telling me it's gone and produce a blog that only talks about this area and nothing else. I'm still confused about offline franchise.

Rudy
06-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Not liking a couple things in this Madden video.

At 1:08 zig zag running by the cpu is very apparent. I like how the cpu is trying to run to daylight but it looks bad. Also at 2:37 Matt Moore scrambles up in the pocket and while at the 3 yard line and an easy TD staring him in the face he decides to throw into coverage and get a lucky TD. Should have just walked in for the easy score.

A good thing I saw was h-back Charles Clay running over a DB at 5:08. He doesn't even try to make a move, just runs at the defender and runs him over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTVUBiWRb3I&feature=player_embedded

jaymo76
06-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow! That zig zag running at 1:08 is horendous. Based on that alone it seems clear that height, weight, and momentum mean nothing.

souljahbill
06-09-2012, 11:04 PM
What speed is the game being played on? It's hyper-fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudy
06-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Wow! That zig zag running at 1:08 is horendous. Based on that alone it seems clear that height, weight, and momentum mean nothing.

I agree. This is why I will partially agree with those who say that RTP is being overblown because I'm only seeing it on hits and not anything else.

Souljahbill - don't know what setting this is on but I'm assuming Normal. I've played on Slow the last couple years because the animations don't look as bad and the running game opens up a little more slowly.

Also note that the Moore play at 2:37 may possibly be beyond the LOS as well.

As for Bush zig zag running that is nothing how Bush runs in real life. That video (and there are many more of moves like that in EA football this gen) shows how there is no foot planting. In real football most backs plant that foot and make that hard one cut move upfield. If they try to reverse direction they pay for it by slowing down and they don't get back up to speed right away. I have always felt the PS2 did this a lot better. And I do feel we pay the price for this on pass defense more than anything as offensive players just zig zag past us or cut with no loss of speed to get open.

Watch this short Bush highlight clip in the real 2011 NFL. Look at the plays at 0:35 and 2:00. There you see foot planting when making a cut. You see slow down. Honestly, I'd love to see just one real video of any NFL RB zig zagging without losing any momentum and planting their feet like we see in that Madden video (which is also in NCAA).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdpCup1p_v4

souljahbill
06-10-2012, 07:38 AM
I agree. This is why I will partially agree with those who say that RTP is being overblown because I'm only seeing it on hits and not anything else.

Souljahbill - don't know what setting this is on but I'm assuming Normal. I've played on Slow the last couple years because the animations don't look as bad and the running game opens up a little more slowly.

Also note that the Moore play at 2:37 may possibly be beyond the LOS as well.

1) The RTP isn't doing anything for me as of now. It's so subtle that it's unnoticeable to me and I'd rather have custom playbooks then fancy hits.

2) I play on slow as well with a 0 speed threshold. The NCAA '13 demo is fast but the Madden videos look like its being played in fast forward.

3) Moore couldn't have been past the LOS, otherwise, he couldn't make that pass. Even Dan Marino would have run those easy 3 yards. There wasn't a body within 10 yds.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 07:50 AM
I believe RTP is going to be one of those things you will have to play to "feel". I think the simple fact that you cannot just spam hitstick because they will get ran over is huge. It is a step in size mattering throughout the game and I am all for that. Also, I find it funny that people give NCAA the benefit of the doubt about "only being alpha" and "Madden having 7 weeks more time", but now everyone acts like this is the final build. It has been stated that these videos are from Alpha build so I gave NCAA the benefit of the doubt so I will give Madden the same luxury.

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 08:25 AM
The fact that RTP is in the game doesn't mean anything for open-field running, unless they've programmed it to matter. Based on that vid, there's no way momentum is being factored in cuts.

Also, I find it funny that people give NCAA the benefit of the doubt about "only being alpha" and "Madden having 7 weeks more time", but now everyone acts like this is the final build.What? I assume you're making some reference to NCAA being "alpha" in earlier videos ... I just don't remember that coming up in conversation.

Madden having 7 more weeks was only in reference to why (in my opinion) RTP is in one and not the other. I don't remember anyone using it to defend NCAA's quality at any certain point.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 08:30 AM
And it is in NCAA? It's not like FIFA or NHL had physics completely the first year they implemented it. I will take it on collisions for the reason I mentioned. It will be nice knowing that I do not have to worry as much about people trying to hitstick with every guy on the field and it working like they are Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis no matter their size. It is not like it cannot be tweaked before release either. I don't think it will be changed in a major fashion before release, but it can be tweaked.

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 08:36 AM
It's not like FIFA or NHL had physics completely the first year they implemented it.Nope. I'm only mentioning it because I think people hear "RTP" and assume "physics now controls everything". Not the case.

It is not like it cannot be tweaked before release either. I don't think it will be changed in a major fashion before release, but it can be tweaked.Absolutely true.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 08:37 AM
I am saying this is an alpha build and people act like this is the final product. If we are willing to give NCAA the benefit of the doubt, then why not Madden? I just think people need to wait and play it before they judge how big an impact it will have on the game. Even if it is just in collisions, that is a major upgrade to keeping the game fresh that should not be overlooked IMO. And the 7 weeks thing is the fact that videos now for Madden are like videos of NCAA in April. How much do you think NCAA changed between April and the final product?

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 08:40 AM
How much do you think NCAA changed between April and the final product?A ton. I don't have to think that, I just have to think back to last year.

I just couldn't remember people bringing up NCAA being alpha at any point. You made it sound like it was being constantly used to defend NCAA (or, at least, that's what I read :D). I just don't recall. :dunno: No big deal.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm only mentioning it because I think people hear "RTP" and assume "physics now controls everything". Not the case.

We both know that is marketing BS. It would not sound the same if they said "physics in collisions only". ;)

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 08:43 AM
A ton. I don't have to think that, I just have to think back to last year.

I just couldn't remember people bringing up NCAA being alpha at any point. You made it sound like it was being constantly used to defend NCAA. I just don't recall. :dunno:

I just mean in videos we see, we just say it is an early build and is in alpha. Hell, it was even somewhat mentioned about the demo being probably a build a month old. Did not mean to make it "sound" like that.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I am saying this is an alpha build and people act like this is the final product. If we are willing to give NCAA the benefit of the doubt, then why not Madden? I just think people need to wait and play it before they judge how big an impact it will have on the game. Even if it is just in collisions, that is a major upgrade to keeping the game fresh that should not be overlooked IMO. And the 7 weeks thing is the fact that videos now for Madden are like videos of NCAA in April. How much do you think NCAA changed between April and the final product?

I can give Madden the benefit of the doubt on RTP. What I am not giving them the benefit of the doubt on is custom playbooks, player editing, etc, because it's already been confirmed none of that is in the game. Player editing is huge and that we cannot edit players ratings, edit numbers, edit equipment, nothing this year, regardless of how great this new CCM mode may be, there is no "benefit of the doubt" from me on that one.

Same with custom playbooks being taken out. In NCAA last year, I created a custom playbook on day one and used my custom playbooks every single game I have played on 12. Before last year, I admit, I never cared for custom playbooks and was in the group of "oh well, there's other things that need worked on", but after having them and using them, there is no way in hell that I'm going back to "pick a team and whatever they have, that's what you get". That'd be like us getting to NCAA 14 and them saying "well, we had to take out custom playbooks because of a new mode we put in, enjoy sitting there trying to find that "perfect playbook" that you want but no team has."

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on RTP, even though it really is not all that big of a deal for me. As it is now, it may be great on tackles and whatnot, but that's not a big deal to me. When they get RTP in Madden to the same level as NHL and FIFA currently are, alright, I'm on board with Madden. But taking out custom playbooks and player editing, fuck that, Madden 13 no longer has even a tiny bit of interest for me. I was looking forward to Madden 13 because I've been ready to get back into NFL gaming for a couple years now, but losing all that for some combined online/offline franchise/Super Star mode with RPG-style storylines and Twitter, fuck that. Maybe Madden 14 will finally be the chance I get to get back into Madden if they put player editing and custom playbooks back in next year.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 09:48 AM
See, for me you could not use CPB in Online Franchise last year anyway so it made no difference to me. I am also not an equipment guy so do not really care about editing my players. Would I like it in, sure. But for me as long as the gameplay is getting closer to what it needs to be then I am all for certain things taking a step back if it means better gameplay. Now if next year these things do not make it back in, then yeah it will be an issue.

souljahbill
06-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Custom playbooks was always my biggest wish in the wishlist tournaments. Moreso then Coaching Carousel even so losing it after having it would be a dealbreaker for me. If they have to remove custom playbooks to get RTP into NCAA '14, I'm skipping '14 unless Southern Miss is the best team in the game.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 10:32 AM
See, for me you could not use CPB in Online Franchise last year anyway so it made no difference to me. I am also not an equipment guy so do not really care about editing my players. Would I like it in, sure. But for me as long as the gameplay is getting closer to what it needs to be then I am all for certain things taking a step back if it means better gameplay. Now if next year these things do not make it back in, then yeah it will be an issue.

Alright, well we at least can see now why we disagree on stuff for this year. For me, NCAA 12 was my first and only time playing in an Online Dynasty, and while it had it's moments, there were many frustrations that caused me to bow out after the first season, and I went back to my offline dynasty. I, for the most part, have never cared for online dynasty, online franchise, etc. The ONLY exceptions have been Online Association in NBA 2K12 with cdj, JB and a couple others (though that only lasted for a couple weeks), teaming up with Natcret and whoever else was on 360 on Tiger Woods for the TGA here on the forums, and Online Team Play (6 on 6) in NHL 11, which was basically just a giant Play Now game just with 6 humans on each team controlling each player on the ice. Other than that, I couldn't give any less of a damn about online franchise, online dynasty, online this, online that.

So for you, alright, I can see and understand how losing custom playbooks and losing player editing isn't a big deal, whereas for me, who is almost entirely an offline/single-player guy when it comes to sports, losing player editing capabilities and custom playbooks is a complete deal-breaker. Like I said, I WANT to get back into Madden. I never bought Madden 12, I bought Madden 11 on eBay for cheap, owned it for 3 days, just long enough to get the achievements and quick 1000 gamerscore, before selling it right back off on eBay. Madden 09 and Madden 10 were the only Madden games on the current generation of consoles that I owned for a month or longer.

As someone who bought both NCAA and Madden EVERY year back on Xbox and PS2, this is sad and depressing as I would love to get back in NFL gaming and have been bit over and over for the past 3-6 months at the desire to get Madden so I can fire up an NFL franchise. So I desperately and badly want to get back into the Madden series, but this one step forward, two steps back, or two steps forward, one step back stuff just kills me. Next year, if Madden 14 has RTP fully integrated into the entire game, or at least 50% of the game, custom playbooks are back, roster editing is back, and there have been additional improvements to Connected Careers, etc, I am fully on-board and will pre-order it and buy it. I already pre-ordered Madden last week after initially hearing about RTP and CCM. But now that details are coming out about stuff removed, stuff left out, etc., I'm no longer excited about Madden 13 and just don't have that desire to buy it anymore.

morsdraconis
06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Alright, well we at least can see now why we disagree on stuff for this year. For me, NCAA 12 was my first and only time playing in an Online Dynasty, and while it had it's moments, there were many frustrations that caused me to bow out after the first season, and I went back to my offline dynasty. I, for the most part, have never cared for online dynasty, online franchise, etc. The ONLY exceptions have been Online Association in NBA 2K12 with cdj, JB and a couple others (though that only lasted for a couple weeks), teaming up with Natcret and whoever else was on 360 on Tiger Woods for the TGA here on the forums, and Online Team Play (6 on 6) in NHL 11, which was basically just a giant Play Now game just with 6 humans on each team controlling each player on the ice. Other than that, I couldn't give any less of a damn about online franchise, online dynasty, online this, online that.

So for you, alright, I can see and understand how losing custom playbooks and losing player editing isn't a big deal, whereas for me, who is almost entirely an offline/single-player guy when it comes to sports, losing player editing capabilities and custom playbooks is a complete deal-breaker. Like I said, I WANT to get back into Madden. I never bought Madden 12, I bought Madden 11 on eBay for cheap, owned it for 3 days, just long enough to get the achievements and quick 1000 gamerscore, before selling it right back off on eBay. Madden 09 and Madden 10 were the only Madden games on the current generation of consoles that I owned for a month or longer.

As someone who bought both NCAA and Madden EVERY year back on Xbox and PS2, this is sad and depressing as I would love to get back in NFL gaming and have been bit over and over for the past 3-6 months at the desire to get Madden so I can fire up an NFL franchise. So I desperately and badly want to get back into the Madden series, but this one step forward, two steps back, or two steps forward, one step back stuff just kills me. Next year, if Madden 14 has RTP fully integrated into the entire game, or at least 50% of the game, custom playbooks are back, roster editing is back, and there have been additional improvements to Connected Careers, etc, I am fully on-board and will pre-order it and buy it. I already pre-ordered Madden last week after initially hearing about RTP and CCM. But now that details are coming out about stuff removed, stuff left out, etc., I'm no longer excited about Madden 13 and just don't have that desire to buy it anymore.

:+1: x :infinity:

I COMPLETELY agree Smooth. I had gravitated away from ODs and other online play as well because it just wasn't fun for me (connection issues and just the general slowness of it all only to become like a second job because, unlike other people, I gotta take a break from playing one video game all the time after a while) so to lose things that make the single player experience of NCAA would be devastating for me as well (if I was ever planning on playing more ;) ).

steelerfan
06-10-2012, 12:04 PM
The CP factor has been brought up a bit in this thread recently. Let's not forget that ODs have existed in NCAA for 4 years and Madden is really just getting something on par with it. Additionally, where are the bottom line/studio updates in Madden? Oh, right, they don't have it.

I only bring this up because of the "step child" sentiment that is put on NCAA by the community. Just remember, there are times when NCAA gets things that Madden doesn't. NCAA will have RTP next year, no doubt, will Madden get score/studio updates? Doubt it.

As for Madden 13, I was only waiting to hear if the ST sliders had been divided into User and CPU before deciding if I'd get it. The news that I can't change jersey numbers, however, means I will likely pass. I'm too OCD to deal with having a LB with #6, or the Steelers "unofficial" retired numbers being issued. Additionally, the game has issued multiples in the past (ie two number 84s). I can't handle that in an NFL game.

Rudy
06-10-2012, 12:15 PM
The fact that RTP is in the game doesn't mean anything for open-field running, unless they've programmed it to matter. Based on that vid, there's no way momentum is being factored in cuts.

I would have rather had it the other way around. Have RTP affect open-field running first and then work on the hits for next year but hits are more marketable. I also want in-game saves but I've learned my wishlist is definitely not the same as EA's lol.

Rudy
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
As for Madden 13, I was only waiting to hear if the ST sliders had been divided into User and CPU before deciding if I'd get it.

This is something I'd like to know too. Absolutely stupid to only have a global slider and it's such an easy fix. I'd really like to hear a rational response from EA on this but since it doesn't exist I'm guessing I won't hear it.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 12:19 PM
For me, I cannot get enjoyment out of playing the cpu anymore. I enjoy the strategy of user games and recruiting and whatnot against other users.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 12:48 PM
For me, I cannot get enjoyment out of playing the cpu anymore. I enjoy the strategy of user games and recruiting and whatnot against other users.

I think for me it's the hassle of getting people online at the same time to play, getting people with internet connections that don't horrendously suck, and getting people that are cheese-playing douchebags. While cheesers who try to get into ODs eventually get outed and kicked out, even playing one game against those guys before they kicked out is an absolute, complete, total waste of my time. Part of the reason I refuse to play randoms online, because you never know what kind of player you're about to go up against. Fuck that. I have better things to do with my time than deal with that *** bullshit.

For me, in offline dynasty, I can see the sliders and difficulty levels to such that it's a challenge for me. In my FIU dynasty I have going on in NCAA 12, I can beat the teams that are worse than me like UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Western Kentucky, MTSU (provided I don't personally completely suck it up once I get into the game), but then turn around and get my ass handed to me by better teams like USC, UCF, Washington, Texas A&M, Arkansas State, etc.

Getting the sliders just right so I can compete with and usually win against teams worse than me, compete with and half of the time win against teams equal to me, and compete with and sometimes win here and there against teams that are better than me, that is what makes offline dynasty and playing the CPU still fun for me.

steelerfan
06-10-2012, 12:58 PM
While I play a fair bit of online (not against randoms), I enjoy offline because I can move at my own pace.

illwill10
06-10-2012, 01:08 PM
I dont really play online because I got so use to playing the CPU. I dont even like playing against regular users. Plus it is rare for me to get through playing a game without stopping. Plus cheesers and slow connections can ruin it for me

illwill10
06-10-2012, 01:11 PM
One/two thing I wish NCAA & Madden shared is Madden QB ratings and Scheme-specific ratings. I think it will make teams more realistically and go after players who fit there offense

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I think for me it's the hassle of getting people online at the same time to play, getting people with internet connections that don't horrendously suck, and getting people that are cheese-playing douchebags. While cheesers who try to get into ODs eventually get outed and kicked out, even playing one game against those guys before they kicked out is an absolute, complete, total waste of my time. Part of the reason I refuse to play randoms online, because you never know what kind of player you're about to go up against. Fuck that. I have better things to do with my time than deal with that *** bullshit.

For me, in offline dynasty, I can see the sliders and difficulty levels to such that it's a challenge for me. In my FIU dynasty I have going on in NCAA 12, I can beat the teams that are worse than me like UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Western Kentucky, MTSU (provided I don't personally completely suck it up once I get into the game), but then turn around and get my ass handed to me by better teams like USC, UCF, Washington, Texas A&M, Arkansas State, etc.

Getting the sliders just right so I can compete with and usually win against teams worse than me, compete with and half of the time win against teams equal to me, and compete with and sometimes win here and there against teams that are better than me, that is what makes offline dynasty and playing the CPU still fun for me.

Get a PS3 and half that shit would be cured with the OD's on here. ;)

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Get a PS3 and half that shit would be cured with the OD's on here. ;)

Why does everything have to turn into system shit? :fp: This place is becoming as bad as fucking IGN and other gaming sites with the 360/PS3 "this is better, you should get that" shit.

And it's nothing against you personally ryby, it's just that it seems I can't go a single week without someone sitting there telling me "get a PS3", "you should go buy a PS3", etc. It's getting to the point that it's annoying the hell out of me. If I was going to buy a PS3, I would have done so already. It's only a matter of a couple years before the PS4 inevitably comes out, there's no sound financial reasoning for me to buy a PS3 now.

Only way I would do so would be if I could get a PS3 for an absolute MAXIMUM price of $150. Anything more than that, for me personally, would be a waste of money, especially since, besides you guys on here, there are only something like 5 of my actual friends in everyday life who have a PS3. 99% of my friends all have 360s, so only reason for me to even consider buying a PS3 would be for sports games for stuff like ODs (which I pretty much don't have any care for) and PS3 exclusive games. Beyond that, I would still be buying every single game for 360.

As for ODs, ODs are going to be plagued with cheesers regardless of systems, systems don't mean a thing. And there are quite a few legit ODs on 360 on here as well for the sake of argument.

My issues against ODs are:

1: Dealing with scheduling. Just look at the FIFA 12 season/tournament thing Steeler and the rest have going, and what difficulties in the schedules of two people not working out can fuck up.

2. Related to scheduling, I can play whenever I want. If I'm dealing with insomnia and I'm awake at 3 in the morning, I can jump on and play a game in my dynasty right then instead of having to wait until 7pm or 9pm or 10pm or whenever that evening for my opponent to get home from work and get online so we can play together.

3: Dealing with time constraints. You have 24 hours or 48 hours or whatever to get your game in or else (your game gets simmed, you get kicked out, whatever), so I better not have any big or time consuming projects or events come up at work.

4: Dealing with connections. Some people might not have the greatest internet connections, and then you have to deal with the hassle of just freaking connecting to each other like myself and someone else found out in the NBA 2K12 Online Association and not being able to connect to each other no matter what we did.

5: Dealing with different skill levels. The best you can do in an OD is try to find a "common ground" with the sliders, so nobody is going to be "truly happy" with the end sliders because they will all think this or that could be changed or tweaked depending on their own skill levels, whereas in offline dynasty, I can set the sliders SPECIFICALLY to what my skill levels are and tweak them as many times as I want from week to week, season to season to make the dynasty and games easier or harder.

There are probably other reasons, but there are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head at this moment in time. So I'll stick with offline dynasty/franchise.

ryby6969
06-10-2012, 03:37 PM
I said get a PS3 because of the OD's on the site. I could give two shits about one being better than the other. :D

ram29jackson
06-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I get madden and NCAA every year regardless of what they have or dont have.

for all intents and purposes, they represent football as well as can be.
I can understand not wanting to spend money for various reasons, but some of the so called deal breakers you guys come up with is amusing to me :)

that said, having online ability makes the game so much more interesting.

and theres a few more adults doing it now so you dont have to just choose online dynasties that immaturely think you need to move it along every 2 days like its a necessary chore .

I also realize now, I prefer dynasties where theres only a few user games a year...not every single game. Unless maybe it were 10 people I really,really knew and trusted wouldnt have immature taunting fits if I went on a losing streak... because its just a fricking video game after all.

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
I said get a PS3 because of the OD's on the site. I could give two shits about one being better than the other. :D

:D Touche.

Overreaction on my part, I'll admit, it was just you're probably the fifth or sixth person in the last 2-4 weeks to say "get a PS3", for varying reasons, so I was getting to the point of "here we go again". :D

I get madden and NCAA every year regardless of what they have or dont have.

for all intents and purposes, they represent football as well as can be.
I can understand not wanting to spend money for various reasons, but some of the so called deal breakers you guys come up with is amusing to me :)

that said, having online ability makes the game so much more interesting.

and theres a few more adults doing it now so you dont have to just choose online dynasties that immaturely think you need to move it along every 2 days like its a necessary chore .

I also realize now, I prefer dynasties where theres only a few user games a year...not every single game. Unless maybe it were 10 people I really,really knew and trusted wouldnt have immature taunting fits if I went on a losing streak... because its just a fricking video game after all.

Says the person who bitches regularly about teambuilder and socks or helmets or facemasks not being in the game. :D

Rudy
06-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Overreaction on my part, I'll admit, it was just you're probably the fifth or sixth person in the last 2-4 weeks to say "get a PS3", for varying reasons, so I was getting to the point of "here we go again". :D

I do seem to recall a poster on this site tormenting PS3 users about one system demo being released earlier than another. Trying to remember who that was....
;)

SmoothPancakes
06-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I do seem to recall a poster on this site tormenting PS3 users about one system demo being released earlier than another. Trying to remember who that was....
;)

:D Well played. That was me trying to get back at those PS3 users who root for a certain Pennsylvania team with the colors of Navy Blue and White who wouldn't stop hassling me in the FIFA and NHL threads about getting a PS3. ;)

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 07:55 PM
And it's nothing against you personally ryby, it's just that it seems I can't go a single week without someone sitting there telling me "get a PS3", "you should go buy a PS3", etc.That's because we want to play against you, dumbass ;)

Rudy
06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
The new Connected Careers Mode (CCM) sounds really cool in this video. EA should be promoting this stuff more. It's in depth and actually shows us stuff.

If you lowball a player when trying to re-sign him during the season he may get pissed off and refuse to sign until free agency. You do have a franchise tag you can use.

Scouting now will be done every week during the season (last year it was about every 4 weeks). You will also scout at the senior bowl, combine, pro days and individual workouts.

When scouting players you can choose which attributes to unlock. Scout a QB and you can scout overall rating (pricy), accuracy, arm strength, scheme he fits in, juke move, whatever. I was surprised to see how little accuracy cost for a QB. Each trait costs so many points to unlock. You get so many points for scouting and I believe you can get more points by achieving objectives as a coach during the season (don't quote me on that).

Players have production grades based on their performance. Kids coming in the draft have production grades based on how good a college player they were. This will cause rookies to have very low overall ratings this year since their NFL production grades will be very low when they enter the league. As they produce this will go up.

Players have development ratings which will determine how much XP they earn which will make them better. It's a potential rating but this does not guarantee success. Even if you have a high development rating it won't mean anything if you don't play or if you play poorly when you do.

If a player's scheme rating matches the scheme you run he can earn more XP while playing which will make him a better player. It also affects free agency. A player won't just look at money. If the scheme isn't the right fit the player may not be interested in you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvxbjekSIg

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 12:21 AM
:D Touche.

Says the person who bitches regularly about teambuilder and socks or helmets or facemasks not being in the game. :D

Yeah but its not a deal breaker if not in. I'm just a fan of its possible potential

souljahbill
06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
The new Connected Careers Mode (CCM) sounds really cool in this video. EA should be promoting this stuff more. It's in depth and actually shows us stuff.

If you lowball a player when trying to re-sign him during the season he may get pissed off and refuse to sign until free agency. You do have a franchise tag you can use.

Scouting now will be done every week during the season (last year it was about every 4 weeks). You will also scout at the senior bowl, combine, pro days and individual workouts.

When scouting players you can choose which attributes to unlock. Scout a QB and you can scout overall rating (pricy), accuracy, arm strength, scheme he fits in, juke move, whatever. I was surprised to see how little accuracy cost for a QB. Each trait costs so many points to unlock. You get so many points for scouting and I believe you can get more points by achieving objectives as a coach during the season (don't quote me on that).

Players have production grades based on their performance. Kids coming in the draft have production grades based on how good a college player they were. This will cause rookies to have very low overall ratings this year since their NFL production grades will be very low when they enter the league. As they produce this will go up.

Players have development ratings which will determine how much XP they earn which will make them better. It's a potential rating but this does not guarantee success. Even if you have a high development rating it won't mean anything if you don't play or if you play poorly when you do.

If a player's scheme rating matches the scheme you run he can earn more XP while playing which will make him a better player. It also affects free agency. A player won't just look at money. If the scheme isn't the right fit the player may not be interested in you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYvxbjekSIg

I LOVE Madden's scouting. NCAA development team, STEAL MADDEN'S SCOUTING!!!! Steal those categories also. That was AWESOME! YOU can pick the attributes you wanna scout and not have it be random. PLEASE, in NCAA '14, development team, TAKE MADDEN'S SCOUTING PROCESS!!!

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 04:42 PM
I LOVE Madden's scouting. NCAA development team, STEAL MADDEN'S SCOUTING!!!! Steal those categories also. That was AWESOME! YOU can pick the attributes you wanna scout and not have it be random. PLEASE, in NCAA '14, development team, TAKE MADDEN'S SCOUTING PROCESS!!!

how do you even know it will work the way its supposed to ?

souljahbill
06-11-2012, 05:02 PM
how do you even know it will work the way its supposed to ?

Well, I prefer it's implementation far more then NCAA's.

jaymo76
06-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Rudy, I've seen that video as well. I admit it is a great video and I think CC has a ton of great stuff. However, for me no editing and removal of custom playbooks is downright inexcusable. What makes it worse is that the playbooks and editing are in the GAME but you cannot use them for CC. Right now I just don't think I can overlook that, regardless of how good CC seems.

jaymo76
06-11-2012, 07:59 PM
A decent write up from pastapadre.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/06/11/e3-thoughts-on-connected-careers-in-madden-nfl-13

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 08:33 PM
The Production Grade thingy looks really cool. However, my concern would be that either A) my O-Linemen are either always hot (like on 12) or B) User Pancakes are not properly tracked (as has been the case this entire generation). Either of those would destroy User O-Linemen and render the mode useless.

This is a wait-and-see for me, based on Season Ticket.

illwill10
06-11-2012, 08:37 PM
I have a question about the Player mode part of CCM. I seen the vid of CCM when Josh created a 1st rd RB that came out around 80 OVR and that players will come in around 70-80 OVR:

Will those OVRs change if the players dont fit the scheme with Scheme-Specific Ratings? Like A 80 OVR West Coast QB wouldnt be a 80 OVR QB in a Vertical Offense.

Rudy
06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
illwill10, I think ratings will change if the scheme changes. At least that's my impression of it.

I will agree Jaymo that no editing stinks. I don't edit much but a lot of times after the NFL draft I used to fire up a new franchise with updated rosters and ratings to screw around with. That's impossible now.

Rudy
06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
A decent write up from pastapadre.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/06/11/e3-thoughts-on-connected-careers-in-madden-nfl-13

I love how players will be more unpredictable in free agency. Draft story lines are cool too. Getting more scouting points is crucial but we still need more basic info like 40 times on all rookies.

illwill10
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
illwill10, I think ratings will change if the scheme changes. At least that's my impression of it.

That is what I expected. I like that. It will teach player mode players to try to go to a team that there player fits.
So if I am a Man-to Man CB with a OVR of lets say 73, I might go up to 75+ if I go to the Raiders.

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 08:57 PM
The Production Grade thingy looks really cool. However, my concern would be that either A) my O-Linemen are either always hot (like on 12) or B) User Pancakes are not properly tracked (as has been the case this entire generation). Either of those would destroy User O-Linemen and render the mode useless.

This is a wait-and-see for me, based on Season Ticket.

Damn, I keep forgetting about season ticket. :D Yeah, I'll wait and see what the game is like in season ticket. I really do want to get back into Madden since I haven't bought it and truly played it since like Madden 09 or 10. But I'm still not as excited anymore since there's no custom playbooks or player editing in CCM. Maybe if the mode completely blows me away enough that I'm able to overlook or ignore not having custom playbooks and not being able to edit players, I'll get it. It's all gonna depend on that Friday and Saturday though.

JeffHCross
06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
If you lowball a player when trying to re-sign him during the season he may get pissed off and refuse to sign until free agency.Head Coach 09.

You do have a franchise tag you can use.Head Coach 09.

You will also scout at the senior bowl, combine, pro days and individual workouts.Head Coach 09.

Players have production grades based on their performance. Kids coming in the draft have production grades based on how good a college player they were.Head Coach 09.

Players have development ratings which will determine how much XP they earn which will make them better. It's a potential rating but this does not guarantee success. Even if you have a high development rating it won't mean anything if you don't play or if you play poorly when you do.Head Coach 09.

And Madden has successfully gone back into the "I'm considering it" pile with that many features from Head Coach 09 :D

illwill10, I think ratings will change if the scheme changes. At least that's my impression of it.Head Coach 09!

illwill10
06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Head Coach 09.
Head Coach 09.
Head Coach 09.
Head Coach 09.
Head Coach 09.

And Madden has successfully gone back into the "I'm considering it" pile with that many features from Head Coach 09 :D

Head Coach 09!

What is the EA Sports Football Game that has Tony Dungy on the Cover?

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
What is the EA Sports Football Game that has Tony Dungy on the Cover?

:D

You're on a roll with that!

souljahbill
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Has anyone ever played Head Coach 09? It had a lot of good ideas that could be implemented into Madden.

JeffHCross
06-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Has anyone ever played Head Coach 09? It had a lot of good ideas that could be implemented into Madden.Funny man. Funny man.

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Funny man. Funny man.

I laughed. :D

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I laughed. :D

Me too. :D

morsdraconis
06-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Damn it! I always miss out on these... :(

ram29jackson
06-12-2012, 08:07 PM
from Pastapadre

Absent Player Editing in Madden NFL 13 Causes Uproar

Posted: 12 Jun 2012 02:15 PM PDT

Madden NFL 13 has had a strong run up until now by marketing improvements that were attractive to the hardcore crowd whether that be addressing gameplay deficiencies from the past, attempting to improve commentary, adding the “Infinity Engine” physics, or evolving Franchise and Superstar with the revolutionary new “Connected Careers”. It was only a matter of time though before some element of the game would draw hostile reaction and that has come with what is lacking in “Connected Careers” and primarily the removal of all player editing.

It turns out that no form of editing will be possible within “Connected Careers” and a roster can’t be edited outside of the mode to start it with either. Only the official rosters provided by EA Sports (base roster and updates) will work for “Connected Careers”.

It’s understandable that editing ratings wouldn’t be allowed. XP after all is now the method for progression and regression in the game so editing ratings would negate one of the primary aspects of “Connected Careers”. What is less explainable is why the editing of player appearance, equipment, and even numbers will not be available to the user.

While this will only matter to a small percentage of gamers – having never even used editing within Franchise in the past it’s somewhat hard to comprehend the veracity of the current outrage – that doesn’t prohibit those who feel it is important from letting their voices be heard. Given Josh Looman’s comment below regarding Madden NFL 12′s Franchise mode it goes to show that the company has recognized in the past that editing was a desired feature so now it can’t be explained away as unnecessary or unwarranted.

After some discussion, we agreed that Franchise mode is yours to control and that we needed to give you the ability to edit the ratings of any player in Franchise mode, whether they are veterans or the rookies you just imported from NCAA Football.

There is no insignificant faction of gamers. No matter how small a group they can have influence over others and therefore impact perception on a wider scale – and that is being seen right now regarding the lack of editing in “Connected Careers”.

jaymo76
06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Yup, not being able to edit rosters and the removal of custom playbooks... two HUGE additions LAST YEAR not being in Madden 13 is a terrible idea and the Madden team desrves some backlash for this decision. You would think that with both features in the game (just not in CCM) that a patch could be developed in order to use them in CCM.

supersigmaof21
06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
These vids have me jacked for Madden

SmoothPancakes
06-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Yup, not being able to edit rosters and the removal of custom playbooks... two HUGE additions LAST YEAR not being in Madden 13 is a terrible idea and the Madden team desrves some backlash for this decision. You would think that with both features in the game (just not in CCM) that a patch could be developed in order to use them in CCM.

And with them combining pretty much all the modes outside of Play Now and standard online gameplay into the one massive mode that is CCM, they may as well have not bothered keeping playbooks and player editing in the game, since right there goes 90% of the game that could have even possibly used it.

jaymo76
06-12-2012, 11:39 PM
You have to wonder with the venom A/Tibuorn is recieving over the editing issue if they have already begun work on a patch??? Man I hope so because some parts of this game look awesome.

jaymo76
06-12-2012, 11:41 PM
http://www.operationsports.com/news/555851/madden-nfl-13-ccm-will-not-allow-you-to-play-other-games-on-the-schedule-only-yours/

OS... not very good at all. The dominos keep falling.

Rudy
06-13-2012, 04:42 AM
With the uproar over the strategy pad they patched in the older controls. Maybe they will patch in some of this stuff too. Who knows?

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Don't expect anything with custom playbooks to be patched. As for player editing, it's possible but I'd bet against it, especially in the first patch.

souljahbill
06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I don't think custom playbooks is something that could just be "patched" in. Maybe it is but to me, that woulda like something that has to be in the game proper in order to work correctly.

ram29jackson
06-13-2012, 12:54 PM
creating your own playbooks is a true gameplan type feature. Its not like they would have no clue people would be disappointed about it not being in.

they shouldnt be surprised that people expect stuff to be added and stay and not be interchanged and toyed with.

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Connected Careers FAQs
http://mymaddenpad.com/madden-nfl-13-connected-careers-faqs/

ram29jackson
06-13-2012, 01:54 PM
LOL no fantasy draft is a big downer as well

ram29jackson
06-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Can I control all 32 teams in a Connected Career?

No, you can only control one team per console. This means you can’t have friends over at your house and play together in the same league.

both online and offline ?

all these so called additions did nothing but handcuff your enjoyment it appears

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 02:34 PM
And CCM was supposedly the biggest, greatest thing since sliced bread. :D :fp:

Rudy
06-13-2012, 04:36 PM
I remember having a lot of fun just running a sim dynasty with my brother in Madden on the PS1. I haven't done this in a long time but it was a lot of fun.

jaymo76
06-13-2012, 07:27 PM
And CCM was supposedly the biggest, greatest thing since sliced bread. :D :fp:

The idea sounded so good but losing features in the process just ruins everything.

skipwondah33
06-13-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm still excited about getting it. My defensive book won't be as strong due to variety of formations but I always make due every version anyway

Anxious to get a feel for trajectories, physics, catch animations and defense

I only play on sim online leagues so I won't touch editing rosters, CC (not even sure what that mode is) or the franchise portion or superstar mode, etc.

gschwendt
06-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Connected Careers is the new Franchise Mode (online, offline, whatever) combined with the Superstar mode. If you play in a league (ie non-Franchise style) then you won't have to mess with it but if you play in an Online Franchise, then Connected Careers is now your new mode.

skipwondah33
06-14-2012, 06:31 AM
Connected Careers is the new Franchise Mode (online, offline, whatever) combined with the Superstar mode. If you play in a league (ie non-Franchise style) then you won't have to mess with it but if you play in an Online Franchise, then Connected Careers is now your new mode.

Oh could care less about that portion too then lol. I am in a OF at the same site but been looking to drop that one anyway because I don't like franchise engine.

gschwendt
06-14-2012, 07:21 AM
Oh could care less about that portion too then lol. I am in a OF at the same site but been looking to drop that one anyway because I don't like franchise engine.Well they completely ripped out the franchise mode and brought I'm this version they've been working on for two years. That's the reason features are being lost.

skipwondah33
06-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Well they completely ripped out the franchise mode and brought I'm this version they've been working on for two years. That's the reason features are being lost.Ah thanks for the info G. I would have never known honestly because all I've been paying attention to were RTP and other gameplay things.

Now kindly forward me your early copy of Madden when you get it if you wouldn't mind lol

gschwendt
06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Ah thanks for the info G. I would have never known honestly because all I've been paying attention to were RTP and other gameplay things.

Now kindly forward me your early copy of Madden when you get it if you wouldn't mind lol
Nah... if not for it being a no-no in years past, I might have, but this year is obviously the one year that I look forward to checking it out. Not sure how long I'll stick with it but if the Connected Careers is interesting then I'll probably at least participate in one.

jaymo76
06-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow! Checking out the anger at OS, I'm pretty sure EA/Tiburon is feeling the heat on CCM. The roster editing outrage thread is now over 885 post and the anger over not playing any game on the schedule is almost at 600. THE LESSON HERE SEEMS TO BE THAT HARDCORE GAMERS ARE TIRED OF FEATURES BEING REMOVED!!! If I were a betting man I would say that EA is working on an edit patch as we speak (and they can do this becuase height and weight were patched into NCAA last year). The CCM mode doesn't need any more bad press.

Rudy
06-15-2012, 05:13 AM
I agree Jaymo. Removing features is lousy even if those features don't affect me much at all.

steelerfan
06-15-2012, 08:07 AM
I agree that removing features is bad, and I'm certainly not happy about it. However, 800+ in some thread is not going to force EA's hand. This game sells millions. 800 posts by a couple hundred guys is nothing.

skipwondah33
06-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Wow! Checking out the anger at OS, I'm pretty sure EA/Tiburon is feeling the heat on CCM. The roster editing outrage thread is now over 885 post and the anger over not playing any game on the schedule is almost at 600. THE LESSON HERE SEEMS TO BE THAT HARDCORE GAMERS ARE TIRED OF FEATURES BEING REMOVED!!! If I were a betting man I would say that EA is working on an edit patch as we speak (and they can do this becuase height and weight were patched into NCAA last year). The CCM mode doesn't need any more bad press.The real Hardcore Madden gamers don't/shouldn't really care about editing rosters and things like that. They care about Offensive Line/Defensive interactions, catch animations, ball trajectories, passing pockets, offensive and defensive awareness, physics, etc...things that directly deal with gameplay.

Then again majority of the market now probably isn't those who grew up playing Madden since it's first days.

skipwondah33
06-15-2012, 08:11 AM
Nah... if not for it being a no-no in years past, I might have, but this year is obviously the one year that I look forward to checking it out. Not sure how long I'll stick with it but if the Connected Careers is interesting then I'll probably at least participate in one.Typical corporate response G hahah

Appreciate the consideration regardless how little it was haha.

souljahbill
06-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Can someone tell me why they play other games outside of your own team's game in-season? (Serious question, no sarcasm)

EDJ
06-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Can someone tell me why they play other games outside of your own team's game in-season? (Serious question, no sarcasm)

Boredom. The experience. Just because.

I haven't played an offline franchise since Online dropped in Madden 10. But when I did, I would occasionally play as other teams just to see how the CPU was building them. And it gets boring playing only as your team with the same playbook, same players, etc. The point of an Offline Franchise, is generally control of your experience. EA is robbing a ton of people of that experience.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G on the Sprint Now Network, using Tapatalk 2.0.

twitter: the_EDJ

ram29jackson
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
The real Hardcore Madden gamers don't/shouldn't really care about editing rosters and things like that. They care about Offensive Line/Defensive interactions, catch animations, ball trajectories, passing pockets, offensive and defensive awareness, physics, etc...things that directly deal with gameplay.

Then again majority of the market now probably isn't those who grew up playing Madden since it's first days.

I want all aspects to be entertaining, the creative end is just as valid.

jaymo76
06-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I want all aspects to be entertaining, the creative end is just as valid.

On this I totally agree with you Ram. For me, yes I love quality gameplay but it's not one or the other. I want the total experience. I'm dropping $60 so if I want to change numbers, uniforms, ratings, etc. I should be able to. I play offline only so I should be able to run with my custom playbook. I find it very upsetting that because this mode needs to have online/offline 100% equal that I have to lose features that are not online compatible. It feels like a slap in the face for a person who has been very loyal to a very subpar Madden series for this PS3 generation.

jaymo76
06-15-2012, 08:01 PM

I find it adds to the experience. There are other teams that I like and when I see a certain game on the schedule I just decide to play it. For example, the Raiders are my team but I have always had a soft spot for the Seahawks and the Redskins. If those two teams were to meet in the season that is a game I would either play or possibly watch as cpu versus cpu. The problem I have with removing the feature is that there is no reason for it. Why would a simple feature like this be removed? I find just running with one team to be far too isolating. FIFA, NHL, NCAA Basketball all did/do this and it impacts my enjoyment level of the game.

JeffHCross
06-15-2012, 09:26 PM
The real Hardcore Madden gamers don't/shouldn't really care about editing rosters and things like that.Hardcore can mean different things to different people though. It speaks to passion/loyalty to the game, not any one feature.

jaymo76
06-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Hardcore can mean different things to different people though. It speaks to passion/loyalty to the game, not any one feature.

:+1::up:

ram29jackson
06-15-2012, 10:45 PM
well it better be as simple as the fact that next year-like it been for a decade- that playing with any team i want at any time better be back in the game.

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I get.

jaymo76
06-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Apparently it has also been confirmed that create a team for CCM is also out. I don't use the feature but I suspect some do. This is another item added to the list of removed features. I'm not sure if you can still move a team or not but I would guess the answer is "no" based on the fact that you cannot change/edit other features.

SmoothPancakes
06-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Sounds like two years wasn't quite long enough to work on this feature. They should have worked on it for an extra third year.

souljahbill
06-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Sounds like two years wasn't quite long enough to work on this feature. They should have worked on it for an extra third year.

Or made it the #1 feature of the 1st Madden on the next generation of consoles.

SmoothPancakes
06-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Or made it the #1 feature of the 1st Madden on the next generation of consoles.

That too. The next generation of consoles are only a couple of years away, it won't be much longer. And that would have been a hell of a feature to roll out with the first game.

ram29jackson
06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
:glare::mad: I am displeased :mad:

jaymo76
06-17-2012, 01:28 PM
For another update, Josh Looman tweeted that if you play as a PLAYER you will NEVER get injured for as long as you are a player. Injuries have been removed from a my player role to ensure that you won't miss any games...

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2012, 01:55 PM
:smh: I'm sorry, I may be the only one here who says this, but I like having injuries possible. It makes it realistic.

steelerfan
06-17-2012, 02:14 PM
:smh: I'm sorry, I may be the only one here who says this, but I like having injuries possible. It makes it realistic.

I agree, but I can't see myself playing as a single player anyway.

JeffHCross
06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
It makes it realistic, yes, but it also makes the mode essentially unplayable. The fun of injuries in Dynasty games is "Oh crap, now I have to win with my backup". In RTG-like games, it goes to "Oh, now I have to just watch my team lose", because you lose all control. Continuing interest after an injury, in a My Career mode, requires a lot of investment in that team, and interest in how they do outside of your play. That's tough to get in the "My Career" modes. It works better in some than it does others.

Now, I wouldn't mind if I still get knocked out for a few plays or until the end of a game ... but missing weeks upon weeks would be a different story.

ram29jackson
06-17-2012, 03:17 PM

if you are controlling a whole team, injury realism is fine.

but if you are playing as one man, theres no way in hell i'm sitting there while a game is going on LOL

ram29jackson
06-17-2012, 03:20 PM
are career ending injuries still in this game?

somewhere between 2005-2008, i know I saw it once.

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2012, 03:27 PM
It makes it realistic, yes, but it also makes the mode essentially unplayable. The fun of injuries in Dynasty games is "Oh crap, now I have to win with my backup". In RTG-like games, it goes to "Oh, now I have to just watch my team lose", because you lose all control. Continuing interest after an injury, in a My Career mode, requires a lot of investment in that team, and interest in how they do outside of your play. That's tough to get in the "My Career" modes. It works better in some than it does others.

Now, I wouldn't mind if I still get knocked out for a few plays or until the end of a game ... but missing weeks upon weeks would be a different story.

To me, it'd be no different than sitting on the bench for portions of the game in NBA 2K's My Player or NHL's Be a Pro. Just make it so it supersims the plays that you aren't in (or you can watch if you want), and if you're out for multiple games, you can just simply sim the game from the menus. It doesn't have to be automatic in the game, just at least give us the option for injuries to potentially occur.

jaymo76
06-17-2012, 03:29 PM
I agree, but I can't see myself playing as a single player anyway.

Yeah I agree with this. Plus, if I create myself and then switch to a coach, my player retires, regardless of how good he is. The whole "my player" wrapped into CCM does absolutely nothing for me. I just pray this mode does NOT come to NCAA. You lose too much in the process.

JeffHCross
06-18-2012, 10:09 PM
To me, it'd be no different than sitting on the bench for portions of the game in NBA 2K's My Player or NHL's Be a Pro.Like I said though, portions are fine. Whole games would more annoying.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Like I said though, portions are fine. Whole games would more annoying.

Well, that would be where you would have the option to just sim the game from the menus if you wanted. It wouldn't have to be mandatory for everyone playing, just give those of us want it, the option in the game to turn it on or off and have it fully realistic like that.

steelerfan
06-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Well, that would be where you would have the option to just sim the game from the menus if you wanted. It wouldn't have to be mandatory for everyone playing, just give those of us want it, the option in the game to turn it on or off and have it fully realistic like that.

:+1:

jaymo76
06-19-2012, 12:11 AM
I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want. I am 100% offline football gamer person. Hey, I have enjoyed FIFA 12 as the games are quick but with NCAA or Madden I can't commit for an hour of play (wife, young children career, etc.). For me I squeeze games in late at night or any time when I get a free hour or so, which isn't often. I LOVE the immersion I can create in my own fictional little Madden world. I want to design a custom playbook; I want to change positions of players; I want to do some minor editing of players ratings if I see a problem or two; I want to edit numbers and helmets, etc of my drafted players; I want to draft players from my NCAA teams. This is the type of stuff I want to do with Madden because this is how I enjoy the game. All I have heard from a number of game changers and a few community guys (not at this site...) is about how it is ONLINE GAMERS turn to enjoy Madden, etc. etc. etc. The discussion has focused on what online gamers have been given and not a lot of attention has been given to what OFFLINE gamers have lost. And make no mistake, what offline gamers have lost is HUGE!!!

Apparently this mode has been developed over TWO years. How it is possible the EDITING ROSTERS, CUSTOM PLAYBOOKS, PLAYING ANY GAME ON THE SCHEDULE and NCAA DRAFT IMPORTS are not included is simply beyond me. Customization is what the Madden crowd has pushed for all generation. Last year we finally get it and then boom and the next year it is ALL gone with promises about how some of it may be back in the future at some unspecified date. I just can't believe the game changers and community day people were not more outraged. But as mentioned earlier in this rant, it just seems that the way I like to play my game is NOT the way gamechangers and community day guys see how Madden should be played now or in the future.

I love playing franchise games against the cpu when I get the chance. Yes, sometimes the AI sucks but for me it's still fun regardless. When my boys are old enough I want to be able to play multi-person offline franchise with them. However, this doesn't seem to be the future trend for EA games. I just hope in the process of making everything online, "the baby doesn't get thrown out with the bath-water" (aka offline enjoyment).

I would be facinated to hear a take from any of the gamechangers/community day guys who have seen Madden 13 in action and have them share their feelings on the topic.

Rudy
06-19-2012, 04:16 AM
I agree Jaymo that EA seems to be catering a lot to the online crowd. I think it's a big reason why offline cpu AI has not seen a big step forward.

Paakaa10
06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want. ... I just can't believe the game changers and community day people were not more outraged. But as mentioned earlier in this rant, it just seems that the way I like to play my game is NOT the way gamechangers and community day guys see how Madden should be played now or in the future. ... I would be facinated to hear a take from any of the gamechangers/community day guys who have seen Madden 13 in action and have them share their feelings on the topic.

I have not played Madden NFL 13 or seen it in person or been part of any of the Community Events for it. My "gaming style" is very similar to yours, Jaymo, so I completely understand your frustration and the points you're making here.

Let me point you in the direction of comments on this overall issue from Shopmaster, who has attended events for Madden NFL this year: http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/18/fantasy-draft-and-player-editing-left-out-of-madden-nfl-13-has-fans-in-a-funk/

And a quick-hit quote from Shop on his take, which is what you were asking for in your post:

I have personally received a lot of nasty comments and backlash as if I made that decision to take those things out. Just to go on the record again. When I heard they were removing Fantasy Draft and NCAA Imports early in the year I was upset. I also told EA the Community would be upset also. They made the decision anyways stating they didn’t have enough time to get them in and done right.

Paakaa10
06-19-2012, 08:09 AM
As for my personal reaction to "Connected Careers," I feel as though a gamble is being made here. Obviously, the news of what's NOT in the mode has grabbed the headlines so far because news of what IS in the mode has been a bit hard to glean at this time, even with blogs and videos to help shine more light on the feature.

At the same time, I'm legitimately excited for what a new take on the mode has to offer. I was excited for Madden NFL 12 last year, thinking that it was going to be a breakthrough year with increased attention paid to presentation and Franchise/Online Franchise. What I found, however, was that the game still didn't offer me enough compelling reasons to keep the game in the console and play it throughout the year. I'm hoping that "Connected Careers" this year--combined with the first shot at the Infinity Engine--offers me enough motivation to play Madden NFL 13 long after release.

That doesn't justify the exclusion of certain long-time features, but at the same time--if you told me that we could have player editing and NCAA draft import but Franchise/Online Franchise would be the same as it was in Madden NFL 12, or we could have Connected Careers--I would choose the latter, just to "put my chips on" a chance for evolution in the game. It sucks that "sacrifices" had to be made to bring something new, but Connected Careers will be the first thing I load up when I get the game this year to see if the bet paid off.

steelerfan
06-19-2012, 08:09 AM
With the exception of playing any game on the schedule, those lost features affect online gamers, too. I don't think they're "picking on" offline gamers.

That said, I understand the NCAA Import loss. The way they are doing the draft, and the player stories, it had to be done. Besides, for me, importing was terrible. It removed any mystery to the draft and the ratings were too transparent.

Paakaa10
06-19-2012, 08:16 AM
A good resource for information on Connected Careers also comes by way of Shopmaster, who has an in-depth FAQ on his site that is persistently being updated with new questions and the responses to them. I highly recommend checking it out and then adding any questions you may have:

http://mymaddenpad.com/madden-nfl-13-connected-careers-faqs/

skipwondah33
06-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Hardcore can mean different things to different people though. It speaks to passion/loyalty to the game, not any one feature.Just now seeing this. Very true but still if you have been a fan of the game and very passionate you would atleast I would think care about the Gameplay improvements of the game. You know like having man-lock feature back in the game as it was some odd years ago, or not seeing the same things happen in the game since 2004, etc. Or Man align working properly or Defensive assignments. I could name a number things more important than editing rosters, fantasy draft, etc that are related to Gameplay.

Hardcore gamers of NCAA talk about these things all the time in regards to NCAA. Now in a game like that I could understand the uproar of not being able to edit rosters...that to me in that particular game is Gameplay feature given that the names generic.

Rudy
06-19-2012, 03:51 PM
At the same time, I'm legitimately excited for what a new take on the mode has to offer. I was excited for Madden NFL 12 last year, thinking that it was going to be a breakthrough year with increased attention paid to presentation and Franchise/Online Franchise. What I found, however, was that the game still didn't offer me enough compelling reasons to keep the game in the console and play it throughout the year. I'm hoping that "Connected Careers" this year--combined with the first shot at the Infinity Engine--offers me enough motivation to play Madden NFL 13 long after release.

I'm hoping for the same thing. I got to my third year of my Dolphins franchise and just got bored. With NCAA you are excited as you go further as the team becomes a product of your own recruiting. I thought the presentation was really good in M12 but the scouting and free agency failed imo. The long term fun of franchise just wasn't there - not even close to NCAA. I do think the story lines and new scouting and FA in Madden 13 will be a really nice improvement.

jaymo76
06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
As for my personal reaction to "Connected Careers," I feel as though a gamble is being made here. Obviously, the news of what's NOT in the mode has grabbed the headlines so far because news of what IS in the mode has been a bit hard to glean at this time, even with blogs and videos to help shine more light on the feature.

That doesn't justify the exclusion of certain long-time features, but at the same time--if you told me that we could have player editing and NCAA draft import but Franchise/Online Franchise would be the same as it was in Madden NFL 12, or we could have Connected Careers--I would choose the latter, just to "put my chips on" a chance for evolution in the game. It sucks that "sacrifices" had to be made to bring something new, but Connected Careers will be the first thing I load up when I get the game this year to see if the bet paid off.

Oh I agree that the mode has a ton of potential. I was hugely excited until I heard what was NOT in the game. Can you imagine how awesome this mode could be if we have editing, custom playbooks, play any game on the schedule, and import NCAA rosters included? I may never leave the couch. If I had editing I could live with all the other stuff missing for a year or so but I just don't think I can get over the editing fiasco.

JeffHCross
06-19-2012, 09:22 PM
I have read a lot of comments from the gamechangers and community day guys at OS and EA SPORTS and it seems clear to me now that there is a huge disconnect from what I want and what many of them want.I don't think there's a huge disconnect, jaymo. But there are things that are "dealbreakers" for you that won't be true for some others. I'm very much an online gamer (for me, Online Dynasty has pretty much ruined the fun I formerly had with many offline dynasties), but all of the things you mentioned are also huge negatives to me. For me, it's a tradeoff. Okay, we lost all these features. What did we gain? And is it enough? Head Coach 09 is one of my favorite sports games of this generation, so having a bunch of features from that game in Madden is quite appealing for me. (And, FWIW, Head Coach 09 is totally offline ;)) Is it enough? I'm on the fence.

As for your question about how something could be developed for two years and still lack certain features ... I can't speak for Madden because I know nothing about how it was developed. But from a perspective of general software product development, sometimes it's a design decision, sometimes a feature is in until something else causes a problem with it, and sometimes it's a last minute thing (that you thought would be easy) that you just can't quite get right. But, every time, no matter what, it comes down to priority. If the items you mentioned were the priority in a "successful" Connected Careers mode, they'd be in. Simple as that.

I do think that Steeler's point about the Draft and the Storylines removing the NCAA Import feature. That's clearly a design decision. And while I feel for you that the import was important, I do think the storylines about the draft picks does allow for some very interesting gameplay going forward. I'm curious to see how they do it.

jaymo76
06-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah Jeff, I think the storylines have a lot of intrigue as well. Working the twitter feed into the game sounds really good. I see CCM very much like FIFA 12's franchise mode and that game has a ton of upside. Really for me the big issue is editing. One thing I have always found annoying with madden are some of the silly names used for draft picks. Just imagine Jovarious Tinkle as your starting franchise QB... If somehow editing could be patched in I would be a very happy boy. Anyways, I have ranted enough about editing... complaint desk closed :)

P.S. Thanks for the design insights Jeff. Much appreciated (I know nothing about game designing)

JeffHCross
06-20-2012, 09:04 PM
I agree. The names, numbers, and equipment are the only "must have" edits for me. The latter of those three I can live without (but only because I had to in Head Coach, so I'm used to it), but names and, especially, numbers are a tough pill to swallow. I think the numbers give me a ton of extra buy-in with the team, because then I feel like I'm in control of the personnel.

P.S. No problem, though I implore you to always take my "knowledge" with a grain of salt. I usually have a good idea what I'm talking about, but it's also rooted in theory, rather than in practice. I'm a tester for a living (though I'm trying to change that!)

Rudy
06-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Some nice write-ups on the Career mode. It looks like the scouting still leaves you very little info on guys you don't scout and EA doesn't give a lot of scouting points. That was very annoying last year to the point I didn't even scout guys in the third year as I felt I was just wasting my time. I do like how there is a lot to do every week.

http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/20/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-1/
http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/21/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-2-diary/

jaymo76
06-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Some nice write-ups on the Career mode. It looks like the scouting still leaves you very little info on guys you don't scout and EA doesn't give a lot of scouting points. That was very annoying last year to the point I didn't even scout guys in the third year as I felt I was just wasting my time. I do like how there is a lot to do every week.

http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/20/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-1/
http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/21/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-2-diary/

I'm not sure what is meant with regards to having to adopt the former coach's scheme??? Does that mean that if I take over a team I also have to take over their offensive and defensive scheme aka playbooks? Maybe I am interpretting it wrong but it seems like once again, more user control is being removed. Does anyone know the answer?

Rudy
06-22-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure. It sounds like you can pick your playbook and also set the type of players you want. See 1:50 of this video below. But it also sounds like you are stuck with the old scheme as your official team's scheme until you acquire enough players that the game changes it to what you are now actually using. I think that's backwards. I would rather you be able to set the scheme and then have players that don't fit the new scheme drop in overall rating because of it. NFL teams do transition here but Miami is now West Coast. I shouldn't have to call the team run based or whatever and hope after I acquire enough West Coast players the scheme automatically corrects itself. I hope there is more clarification on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIzdLc6tCKE&feature=player_embedded#

skipwondah33
06-22-2012, 07:54 AM
Please let Defensive Awareness work like it should. As well as "best on best" alignment and "man-lock". Also hoping Passing Trajectories are true to form and that there are more than the same 3 catching formations that happen constantly in this current version. Hope to see no more "psychic DB's" and the defender actually has to see the ball.

Fingers crossed for those things and some others

gschwendt
06-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Please let Defensive Awareness work like it should. As well as "best on best" alignment and "man-lock". Also hoping Passing Trajectories are true to form and that there are more than the same 3 catching formations that happen constantly in this current version. Hope to see no more "psychic DB's" and the defender actually has to see the ball.

Fingers crossed for those things and some others

Have you played the NCAA demo? All of that is in there and getting positive reviews.

skipwondah33
06-22-2012, 08:36 AM
Have you played the NCAA demo? All of that is in there and getting positive reviews.Played it twice and noticed all of those things but didn't get overly excited. Not sure I'll get NCAA due to the past few years me being disappointed about it and losing interest....though I am getting the usual itch around here lol.

Still hope it is implemented right in Madden this year. Seems like everytime there is a "Gameplay" addition it never really works out like it should. i.e Defense Assignments, "read and react", etc.

Hoping all those things are great and working and that is the reason there is an uproar about roster editing.

Rudy
06-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Day 3 - http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/22/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-3-diary/

jaymo76
06-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Day 3 - http://mymaddenpad.com/2012/06/22/deep-dive-into-connected-careers-day-3-diary/

So as of week three he has the #1 ranked D. I wonder if that talk more to his ability or more of a neutered CPU offense???

souljahbill
06-23-2012, 03:04 PM
So as of week three he has the #1 ranked D.

And the #32 O.

steelerfan
06-23-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm guessing those are a direct result of 5-minute quarters. Just a guess.

Rudy
06-24-2012, 06:13 PM
The community felt the last day with Madden was really good. Player movement will be a little better but don't expect to see foot planting for at least another year. I know Shopmaster had concerns over not enough XP and scouting points in CCM. Since you still don't get basic combine numbers for every prospect I think they should give you a lot more scouting points to avoid feeling frustrated. Unless you cheated last year (I don't even know how people did that but it was out there somewhere) I felt scouting was pretty well useless due to the lack of players you could scout and the info back on some of the early scouting sessions.

Rudy
06-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Community day write-up (haven't even read it yet myself): http://firstandmole.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/madden-nfl-13-community-event-experience/

jaymo76
06-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for sharing Rudy. The first thing I noticed was another 20 something gamechanger who really loves online gaming. It seems inevitable that games from here on out will have a major online focus. I was also a little surprised that the OMISSIONS issues were NOT at all mentioned. He said he would do a blog later so perhaps it will be mentioned there.

Rudy
06-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for sharing Rudy. The first thing I noticed was another 20 something gamechanger who really loves online gaming. It seems inevitable that games from here on out will have a major online focus. I was also a little surprised that the OMISSIONS issues were NOT at all mentioned. He said he would do a blog later so perhaps it will be mentioned there.

That last write-up didn't really have anything interesting other than the time they spent on the game.

No question the emphasis on offline gaming has dropped every year. I think most devs are young and don't understand the demands of family life. Guys like me simply don't make the time to be a regular in online leagues and I'm usually sleeping by the time most of the young online crowd wants to play. It's also why we haven't seen in-game saves. The Show has had in-games saves from 09-12 (4 straight years now!) and even the small team at MLB 2K has had in game saves for at least three years. No excuse for EA to not have it by now. They put it in last year's edition of Madden's 3DS for crying out loud.

I know some older guys love ODs and play late at night but I'm not one of them. I play the majority of my games in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up. When they do wake up and I'm playing the Show I just save and finish later than night or the next morning. It's fantastic. With EA football I have to ensure I'm going to get a full hour that is uninterupted.

jaymo76
06-24-2012, 09:52 PM
That last write-up didn't really have anything interesting other than the time they spent on the game.

No question the emphasis on offline gaming has dropped every year. I think most devs are young and don't understand the demands of family life. Guys like me simply don't make the time to be a regular in online leagues and I'm usually sleeping by the time most of the young online crowd wants to play. It's also why we haven't seen in-game saves. The Show has had in-games saves from 09-12 (4 straight years now!) and even the small team at MLB 2K has had in game saves for at least three years. No excuse for EA to not have it by now. They put it in last year's edition of Madden's 3DS for crying out loud.

I know some older guys love ODs and play late at night but I'm not one of them. I play the majority of my games in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up. When they do wake up and I'm playing the Show I just save and finish later than night or the next morning. It's fantastic. With EA football I have to ensure I'm going to get a full hour that is uninterupted.

So true about the family situation. It is so hard to get games in the older I get. Family committments always take precidence. You would think that there would be more appreciation for the adult gamers of the world who have families. Playing Madden for one game is at least one hour. If you add scouting and all that jazz you're up to 1.5 hours. That's a big time committment for guys with families/young children.

SmoothPancakes
06-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Don't forget those of us who just plain don't give a damn about the online shit. They're giving us the middle finger too with focusing so much on online but telling the offline franchise gamers to go piss off.

jaymo76
06-24-2012, 11:18 PM
Don't forget those of us who just plain don't give a damn about the online shit. They're giving us the middle finger too with focusing so much on online but telling the offline franchise gamers to go piss off.

Agreed. I really wonder if anything removed will ever make it back. That Looman twitter comment kind of implied that forget everything franchise was because CCM is a new mode and it does things differently... get over it. Maybe he didn't mean it that way, but that's how it sounded to me. I hope I am wrong though because CCM, if it had all the franchise mode features back would be pretty awesome IMO.

steelerfan
06-25-2012, 12:40 AM
So what, exactly, did the online Franchise guy get that the offline guy doesn't have? I must be missing something, because listening to you guys - it sounds like online guys have something you don't. I'm not being a smartass, it's a serious question.

Rudy
06-25-2012, 04:45 AM
So what, exactly, did the online Franchise guy get that the offline guy doesn't have? I must be missing something, because listening to you guys - it sounds like online guys have something you don't. I'm not being a smartass, it's a serious question.

The online guy isn't really getting anything extra but they are finally getting all the features of what offline has. Online this year does get the twitter story feeds and stuff. It's just that the focus is all online. Trying to "connect" everyone and get everyone to play online for some unknown reason. I think EA wants to push online stuff like MUT for microtransaction profits as well. Maybe in game ads to online users generates more money but there is no further profit for the offline gamer. The focus on AI seems to be for the online matches and eliminating cheese rather than focusing on cpu AI so offline gamers have a more competent opponent. While they push to improve the online features and play, offline features like in game saves, editing, playing with every team and cpu AI get put on the back burner or removed.

AI issues like clock management, cpu throwing too many picks, cpu running an option offense in NCAA, RBs AI to utilize the specific skills they have (power vs. speed), getting the balls in the hands of the playmaking WRs - these are all issues that only impact offline gamers and EA has been extremely slow to improve this stuff the last few years.

jaymo76
07-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Saw this on you tube (credit goes to OS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3qQP6V8y24&feature=youtu.be

jaymo76
07-23-2012, 11:28 PM
"the career mode for the next ten years or so"
came up with ths idea a FOUR YEARS AGO and began working on it TWO YEARS AGO
"the career mode with the most depth on the market"... um... no.... NCAA and FIFA by a long shot!
"big focus is online; that's the future of sports games"

"WE FEEL LIKE IT'S THE NEW STANDARD FOR CAREER MODES GOING FORWARD IN ALL SPORTS GAMES"

I fear that NCAA 14 will also adopt this connected careers concept and personally that really sucks. Working on this for 2-4 years and decisions such as removing player editing, position changes, scheme philosophy, fantasy draft, custom playbooks, playing any game on the schedule, etc. so that social networking can be integrated into the game and then shared with the REAL world really sucks IMO.

skipwondah33
07-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Can't be any worse than the current issues in NCAA.

cdj
08-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Shopmaster provides a walkthrough on setting up Connected Careers Mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cBse4lAZfQ&feature=player_embedded

jaymo76
08-21-2012, 03:05 PM
I really wish that the players/coaches you create don't retire if you choose to become someone else.