2 Bruins vs 7 Capitals
3 Panthers vs 6 Devils
4 Penguins vs 5 Flyers

Western Conference
1 Canucks vs 8 Kings
2 Blues vs 7 Sharks
3 Coyotes vs 6 Blackhawks
4 Predators vs 5 Red Wings

Use this thread to discuss the playoffs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

steelerfan
04-09-2012, 10:05 AM
I took a few hours yesterday to crunch some numbers to try and come up with a formula to pick the winners in each series. My formula (without boring you with the math) took into account each team's record against playoff teams from their conference, each team's record over the last 20 games, each team's Power Play and Penalty Kill percentage, and the differential between home and road records in each matchup.

After the math was done, I assessed what it told me by also factoring in my personal knowledge and how the teams faired against one another during the regular season. Here are the results:

Rangers vs Senators
The numbers say that the Rangers will win easily. Likely in 4 or 5 games. However, New York dropped 3 of 4 against the Sens this season, so it may be a bit closer than that. I still can't see an upset though, I'm taking the Rangers in 6.

Bruins vs Capitals
The defending champions will have their hands full against the Caps. They lost 3 of 4 to Washington and the Capitals have faired very well against the top teams in the East. The only advantage the numbers give to Boston is home ice and the numbers say it will be enough to push Boston through in 7. However, I'm calling for an upset here and taking Washington in 7. Perhaps Washington having no expectations or pressure on them this year will get them a series win. That said, if Tim Thomas gets hot, the Bruins will win (though I'm sticking with the upset call).

Panthers vs Devils
Florida hasn't been in the playoffs in twelve years and they are terrible against top competition. The Devils have the best record in either conference against their conference's playoff teams. The numbers point to a sweep, but I'm taking New Jersey in 5 based on the fact that the teams split in the regular season. Either way, Florida is not ready for the playoffs and will be a quick out.

Penguins vs Flyers
Pittsburgh is better against top opponents, were better down the stretch, have the best special teams in the league, have more star power, and have home ice. Even with all of that, they don't match up particularly well with Philly, lost 4 of 6 to the Flyers, and have dropped 5 of 6 all-time at Console Energy Center against Philly. The numbers say Pittsburgh in 7, and I'm sticking with that. This series can go either way, and it sucks for both teams that the 4th and 5th best teams in league have to meet in the first round.

Canucks vs Kings
This is a bad draw for the President's Trophy winners. LA is good against top-level opponents, was hotter down the stretch, and has special teams that are on par with Vancouver. The numbers say the Canucks advance in 7, and I agree. However, this series will come down to goaltending and we all know Luongo is a head case. I like the Canucks lineup, talent, and experience to get them through, but I won't be shocked if they are upset.

Blues vs Sharks
Like Washington, San Jose has been a playoff flop for years. That won't end this season. The Blues are nearly unbeatable at home and have virtually everything going their way from a numbers standpoint. They also went 4-0-0 against the Sharks in the regular season. I don't think their playoff inexperience will bite them against San Jose. The numbers call for a sweep, and I agree, Blues in 4.

Coyotes vs Blackhawks
The numbers give a slight edge to Phoenix, and suggest a Coyote win in 7 games. I'm going with Chicago in 7 though because I am counting on them to get healthy at the right time. If Chicago gets healthy, and plays to form, quickly, they'll win in 5 or 6. If not, Phoenix will give them fits.

Predators vs Red Wings
This series is very close on paper. The teams even split 6 contests this season. The real advantage that Nashville has, coming in, is that Detroit has struggled tremendously down the stretch. I never count the Wings out, until they are out, but I am taking Nashville in 7. This should be a very good series.

So there you have it. Now that I have the numbers on paper, I will compare the second round matchups when I get a chance and eventually pick a Cup winner.

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Can't wait for the series to start :up:

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
Looks like Briere practiced today as normal without a non-contact jersey. Still uncertain for game one though.

steelerfan
04-09-2012, 11:49 AM
I'll have to keep an eye out for this guy's Western Conference picks, but his Eastern Conference picks are almost EXACTLY like mine. Wow.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Todd-Cordell/2012-NHL-Eastern-Conference-Playoff-Predictions-Round-One/159/43691

steelerfan
04-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Now, based on my picks for the first round (some of which will likely be wrong), here is the second round:

Rangers vs Capitals
I think good fortune will catch up to the Caps in the second round and Lundqvist will prove to be too much for Washington to handle. The numbers say Rangers in 7, and I'm going to agree. I wouldn't be surprised if Washington loses in the first round to Boston, but I would be surprised to see the Caps in the East Finals.

Penguins vs Devils
The numbers say this would be the tightest second round matchup and these teams split 6 games in the regular season. The Devils have had a good season, but Broduer isn't the playoff stalwart he once was, and I don't think New Jersey can score with Pittsburgh. Even though I think the series would be shorter, I'm taking the Penguins in 7.

Canucks vs Blackhawks
After a tough opening round series with LA, Vancouver catches a little break in round 2. The Canucks matchup well with Chicago and I like Vancouver in 6. The numbers support this but, again, this could change depending on Luongo and the health of the Blackhawks.

Blues vs Predators
Other than home ice, the numbers like Nashville. However, I just think the Blues are too strong at home to let this series get away. I'm taking St. Louis in 7. The biggest problem with my pick is that St. Louis dropped 4 of 6 to the Preds this year (2-2-2) and Nashville has the upper hand in a matchup between 2 teams with very little playoff experience.

I'll get to work on the Conference Finals shortly.

steelerfan
04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
And now, based on my picks to this point, here are the Conference Finals.

Rangers vs Penguins
Pittsburgh took 4 of 6 from New York this season and have dominated them down the stretch. Add to that the war of words between the clubs and this series could be as heated as the opening Pittsburgh/Philadelphia series. The numbers only slightly favor Pittsburgh, but I like them to win in 6. I think Sidney Crosby would be highly motivated to make John Tortorella eat his words and Pittsburgh's fire power would submit the Rangers.

Canucks vs Blues
There aren't any numbers that really point to St. Louis in this series. In fact, they suggest Vancouver in 6 or 7. However, I'm not sold that the Canucks will return to the Final and I really like the Blues this year (a dangerous thing to do with a team with so little playoff experience). I'm taking St. Louis in 7 games, in a bit of an upset.

steelerfan
04-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Now, the Stanley Cup Final.

Blues vs Penguins
The league's top scoring team against the league's number one defense, this would be an extremely intriguing matchup. The Blues won 3-2, in overtime, in Pittsburgh, and the Pens won 3-2, in a shootout, in St. Louis. Talk about tight.

I was impressed to see that Pittsburgh was 6-1-2 this season against Western playoff teams, until I saw that the Blues were 7-1-1 against Eastern playoff foes. Wow!

The Penguins have been the hottest team in the league down the stretch and have the (slightly) better special teams.

I have a ton of respect for St. Louis' 30-6-5 home record and, if they had some playoff experience, I'd be picking them to win the Cup.

However, I'd take Pittsburgh in 7, if this matchup were to come to pass.

Now, I know what you're thinking. The Penguins fan picks the Penguins - imagine that. Just know that I don't make a habit of picking my teams (I certainly didn't like the Steelers in the playoffs this year) and I'm going with some things that make a Cup champion.

Besides being the hottest, and highest-scoring team in the league, the Pens have the top special teams and are finally healthy. I think any honest fan would tell you that they would have had the best record in the league if they had been healthier this season.

They finished just 3 points behind the President's Trophy-winning Canucks despite Staal missing 20 games, Letang missing 30, and Crosby missing 60.

If healthy, I think Pittsburgh's biggest hurdle will be Philadelphia and I won't be shocked if the Flyers beat them. That series is truley a coin flip.

St. Louis is very impressive. Between their netminding and their home record, they are going to be a tough out for anyone. I just can't pick a team with so little playoff experience to win the Cup.

The Rangers are capable (though they also lack experience), but they struggled too much down the stretch for me to pick them.

Even though I have Boston making an early exit, they have the experience and goaltending to make a run. However, their special teams are middle-of-the-road (among playoff teams) and the B's have been inconsistent this year.

Philadelphia is capable of making a deep run, similar to Pittsburgh. Their big issue is that they face the Penguins in the opening round. If they get past Pittsburgh, they could be poised to do some serious damage in the East. I'm just not sold on their goaltending, which has let them down through the years. They are, however, second in scoring behind Pittsburgh.

Vancouver has all the pieces to win the Cup, if Roberto Luongo is on his game. The problem is, he is very inconsistent and often disappears in crucial playoff series.

Even though Chicago is suspect in some areas and they have the worst special teams in the playoffs, they are talented and dangerous, if healthy. They just haven't shown enough for me to pencil them into the winner's column this year.

Nashville is a team I could get behind if they had some playoff success under their belt. They are 8th in scoring offense and defense and they have solid special teams (only Pittsburgh, Vancouver, and New Jersey are better). I just don't like them doing real damage on the road, which they will have to do from the 4 slot (not to mention they have a tough draw in Detroit to open).

Speaking of Detroit, if they had some home ice, I'd love their chances. But, they don't. And, they're ice cold right now.

So, as you can see, there are several teams who I believe have a shot at the Cup and some of those will have a tough time just getting out of the first round. This should be a very fun and exciting playoff this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how it actually unfolds.

Injuries, upsets that occur (or don't), and hot or cold goaltending are certain to change the shape of how things unfold so stay tuned!

SmoothPancakes
04-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Homer. :D

steelerfan
04-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Homer. :D

At least they're in. ;)

SmoothPancakes
04-10-2012, 12:41 AM
At least they're in. ;)

You just had to go there. :(

psuexv
04-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I like the picks :sf: My only problem is if it plays out this way, that we are exhausted by Cup time. As you mentioned the Philly and Rangers series could be the most physical, grueling series of the playoffs. Especially if they both go 7 games.

steelerfan
04-10-2012, 05:32 PM
I like the picks :sf: My only problem is if it plays out this way, that we are exhausted by Cup time. As you mentioned the Philly and Rangers series could be the most physical, grueling series of the playoffs. Especially if they both go 7 games.

Yeah. But, from a purely numbers standpoint, it's tough to call any series going only 4 or 5 games, after the first round. That said, some will.

As well, the Penguins core is still very young and they haven't made a deep run in a few years now so they should have better legs than some other teams.

I also noted that I believe the Pens would make quick work of the Devils, but the numbers forced me to say otherwise. For the record, I think Philadelphia and Boston would give Pittsburgh the biggest problems, of all the teams in the East.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Yesterday, I posted this guy's Eastern Conference picks because they were almost exactly the same, down to the number of games, as mine.

Here are his Western Conference picks that he released today. They're close to mine again, but not exact. It's interesting to me that he is picking the Kings to upset Vancouver (something I mentioned as a strong possibility).

This makes me wonder what a parlay of New Jersey, St. Louis, and LA would pay. I'm very confident in the Devils and Blues winning their series and I think LA is a coin flip which must pay very well.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=43713&blogger_id=159

steelerfan
04-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I just watched a segment on NHL Gamecenter on my phone that will be daily throughout the playoffs. It has Barry Melrose on it and he picked the series winner for all 3 series that start tonight. Barry picked Pittsburgh in 7, Nashville in 7, and LA in 7. Sounds alot like my picks.

He also picked Pittsburgh to win the Cup in 7 over Chicago.

steelerfan
04-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Let's Go Pens!

JBHuskers
04-11-2012, 09:26 PM
One HELL of a comeback by the Flyers to win game one!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

steelerfan
04-11-2012, 09:30 PM
One HELL of a comeback by the Flyers to win game one!

Yes, it was, for sure.

Would have been nice if Briere had been called offside on his first goal. ;)

I wish I could watch this series without having a rooting interest because this is going to be a heck of a series.

NatureBoy
04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoz6pghZZzHSHimCbQ1tMZDk6YP0W99 2u1lyFabXXD7BJsRNa3Rg

Go Kings!

steelerfan
04-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Three good games last night, in what I expect to be three very good series.

I'm not surprised by any of the outcomes. I was glad to see that I wasn't nuts in saying that the Kings will give Vancouver all they can handle. It certainly looks like they will. Kinda makes me wished I had jumped on that parlay (Kings, Devils, Blues - all to win their series. $100 to win $539).

I am surprised by the Penguins result. Not in them losing, but how they lost. Game 2 is a near must for them now. Not because I don't think they can win in Philadelphia, but because I have a tough time seeing them taking 4 of 5 from the Flyers. I still think the winner in this series makes a deep run and may win the Cup.

That was a big win for Nashville last night too. They need the confidence and, more importantly, the wins at home. They'll have a tough time getting wins at the Joe so winning at home is vital.

psuexv
04-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone else see this cheap shot from Shea Weber last night? Dude should have been suspended

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/news/Sports_Minute/28916507#news/Sports_Minute/28916507

steelerfan
04-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah. And he should have been suspended, for sure. Just a fine though.

JBHuskers
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Pittsburgh fell into that dreaded 2-goal lead trap last night, cept it was 3.

Looks like Toews is going to be back in the lineup for tonight's playoff opener.

steelerfan
04-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Looks like Toews is going to be back in the lineup for tonight's playoff opener.

Yeah. If Chicago gets healthy, and gets it together, they will be tough in the West. The other top teams there either have no experience or, in the case of Vancouver, have inconsistent goaltending that no one has faith in.

jaymo76
04-12-2012, 08:45 PM
Really like what I saw from Nashville. I could easily see that team make it to the conference finals.

steelerfan
04-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Well, the two teams that are widely considered Cup favorites (Vancouver and Pittsburgh) are both down 2-0 and in deep trouble. Though if either team wins game 3 of their series, they will be back in it.

Like I've said before, I wish I could watch the Penguins/Flyers series without having a rooting interest. That series is nuts. It reminds me of some of the hockey I watched in the 80s and early 90s. Fun stuff, though very frustrating as a Pens fan.

Although I figured LA was going to give the Canucks trouble, I certainly didn't see a 2-0 deficit for Vancouver at home. I'm starting to hope the Blues choke so I don't have to kick myself for not taking that bet.

Speaking of that bet, the Devils did what I expected, though Florida rallied to make it respectable. I still think New Jersey wins this series easily.

I'm not surprised to see Detroit even things up either. That series is going to be an absolute war. Unless Pittsburgh makes a push against Philly, this may be the best one of the first round.

NatureBoy
04-14-2012, 06:34 AM
Great win last night by the Kings. Up 2-0 going to LA on Sunday.

steelerfan
04-15-2012, 06:20 PM
Man, the Penguins are completely lost. While I have to give the Flyers credit, both teams have been pretty sloppy. There are times when Philadelphia looks fantastic and puts on a passing exhibition (though any NHL team should be able to do that when the opposing defense is absolutely invisible). Then there are times when they are almost as bad as the Pens.

Today's game was particularly atrocious. 158 penalty minutes. The first period took over an hour to complete because of all the stoppages. For awhile it was entertaining, but eventually it just got annoying.

The Flyers have been better in every possible way in this series. They will win this series, and they deserve to. Philadelphia hasn't been anywhere near perfect though. They have played pretty bad, defensively, in stretches of each game. However, they haven't had to be perfect because the Penguins have been unbelievably bad.

The Flyers have taken Evgeni Malkin completely out of the series and Fluery, Letang, and Kunitz have been terrible.

Violator
04-15-2012, 06:26 PM
The Pens would be better putting a cardboard cut out of a goalie in net. He prolly would stop more

steelerfan
04-15-2012, 06:34 PM
The Pens would be better putting a cardboard cut out of a goalie in net. He prolly would stop more

The number of big rebounds Fluery is giving up is astonishing. It doesn't help that the Flyers get to 90% of them either. This series has had 32 goals already. It's ridiculous how bad MAF has been and Bryzgalov had been below average too.

steelerfan
04-15-2012, 06:44 PM

On a side note, I used to coach hockey. There were times when I coached kids as young as 5 and as old as 15. I used to end every practice with penalty shots and, when I had the little kids, sometimes I'd let the goalie finish early and just lay a stick across the goal mouth to make my players lift their shots. That stick had a stellar save percentage against those little guys. :D

JBHuskers
04-15-2012, 07:53 PM
That first period of Pens/Flyers was some of the most interesting hockey I'd ever seen.

steelerfan
04-15-2012, 08:02 PM
That first period of Pens/Flyers was some of the most interesting hockey I'd ever seen.

I can agree that it was interesting, but for me, it eventually got to be ridiculous. There were stretches where the game was just something that happened between the fights and cheap shots.

steelerfan
04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm not surprised that Matt Carkner was suspended for, essentially, assaulting Brian Boyle. Boyle had that coming to him, but not like that. Carkner didn't give Boyle a chance to defend himself.

There may be some suspension(s) in the Pittsburgh/Philly series too (Aaron Asham, at least will get considered). And, depending on who gets what, I won't have a problem with that, either.

That said I still can't understand how the league justifies suspending Carkner (or anyone else, really) but not suspending Shea Weber. That was really ridiculous and I still can't wrap my brain around that decision.

steelerfan
04-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Damn. Jonathan Quick almost single-handedly got the Kings into the playoffs and he has also almost single-handedly put the Canucks in a 3-0 hole. He had a 41-save shutout tonight and has stopped 111 of 115 in the series.

The Kings are the first 8 seed to ever have a 3-0 series lead and it's the first 3-0 lead the Kings have ever had in a series too.

NatureBoy
04-16-2012, 07:14 AM
:up: LA up 3-0 over the Canucks! Go for the sweep on Wednesday!

JBHuskers
04-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Hearings for Asham and Neal are today. Don't think I've heard any results of these hearings quite yet. I'd assume if there are suspensions it would be for game four.

steelerfan
04-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Hearings for Asham and Neal are today. Don't think I've heard any results of these hearings quite yet. I'd assume if there are suspensions it would be for game four.

So far, the only suspension I've seen from that game is Craig Adams. Adams took an instigator minor in the last 5 minutes of the game, which is an automatic suspension.

psusnoop
04-17-2012, 08:14 AM
Neal and Asham are meeting today actually.

Man I have been so busy and haven't participated much on the boards but I haven't been this frustrated with a team in a long time. :smh:

steelerfan
04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Neal and Asham are meeting today actually.

Man I have been so busy and haven't participated much on the boards but I haven't been this frustrated with a team in a long time. :smh:

Yep. I have heard "most underachieving team in franchise history" associated with this Penguins team, assuming they go ahead and lose.

JBHuskers
04-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Neal, I'm not sure...but Asham has to be suspended for one if not two games.

steelerfan
04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Neal, I'm not sure...but Asham has to be suspended for one if not two games.

For me, after letting Shea Weber off with a fine, the NHL has no right to suspend Asham. They likely will though.

steelerfan
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
So Asham got 4 games, and Neal got 1.

On their own merits, I think each is justifiable. However, neither can be justified, to me, when compared to Shea Weber. Not suspending him is still baffling to me.

baseballplyrmvp
04-18-2012, 11:24 PM
holy shit! jonathan quick is human! Lets Go Canucks!

NatureBoy
04-19-2012, 06:17 AM
LA couldn't finish off Vancouver last night. Holy cow, the Pens scored 10 goals to avoid the sweep by the Flyers.

steelerfan
04-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Still alive. Pens win, 3-2 to cut Philly's series lead to 3-2. Wow.

SmoothPancakes
04-20-2012, 09:54 PM
Meanwhile, the Red Wings are going home, courtesy of a 2-1 Predators win to claim the series 4-1.

steelerfan
04-20-2012, 09:58 PM
Meanwhile, the Red Wings are going home, courtesy of a 2-1 Predators win to claim the series 4-1.

I'm not surprised the Predators won, but I definitely thought Detroit would make it a tough series, especially at home.

SmoothPancakes
04-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Good lord, the Eastern Conference is about to get decimated. #8 Senators lead 3 games to 2. #7 Capitals have a 3 games to 2 lead. #5 Philly leads 3-2. The Panthers are the only top 4 team to have a series lead in the Eastern Conference.

JeffHCross
04-21-2012, 11:57 PM
#7 Capitals have a 3 games to 2 lead.Well fuck me. I knew the game was today, but guess it was already over by the time I thought to look. And since I saw it on the schedule tomorrow (really? After so few games in a whole week, they have to play back to back days?!), I assumed I'd just had it wrong. Never went to look for a result!

SmoothPancakes
04-22-2012, 04:55 AM
Well fuck me. I knew the game was today, but guess it was already over by the time I thought to look. And since I saw it on the schedule tomorrow (really? After so few games in a whole week, they have to play back to back days?!), I assumed I'd just had it wrong. Never went to look for a result!

The Canucks-Kings scheduling is equally stupid. They played game 4 back on Wednesday, and just now today, on Sunday, will be playing game 5, with games 6 and 7 scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday. Not sure why they needed 4 days until they played the next game in the series, followed by the final three games of the series with just one day off between each.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Especially with the game being in Boston on Saturday and Washington on Sunday. That's ridiculous for a playoff series. The guys have got to be drained.

steelerfan
04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
The Penguins lose in 6. Pittsburgh was favored to win the Cup, but everyone knew that Philadelphia would give them all they wanted in the first round.

steelerfan
04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
That was a seriously fucked up, weird series.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 04:23 PM
:D Gotta love staying on Pause long enough during the 2nd period that when I skip back to Live TV, I've skipped the entire intermission

Pittsburgh was favored to win the CupI know Melrose picked the Pens to get to the Finals, and I know Crosby was coming back ... but were that many "experts" picking Pittsburgh? Seems strange that a 4 seed would be getting that much love, even with Sid the Kid coming back. Though right now it's looking like you didn't want to be a higher seed in the East this year.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Boston wins over the Caps in Overtime, and I genuinely believe that every single player on the ice, except maybe Tyler Seguin (who scored the game winner) was absolutely gassed. Combine the back to back games with surprisingly bad ice in Washington, and I really think the NHL ended up with a worse game than they would have otherwise.

steelerfan
04-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes. Alot of experts picked Pittsburgh. 4 seed, yes, but 4th in the whole league too. You have to remember that 2 and 3 in the East were worse than 4, 5, and 6 but got those seeds automatically for winning their divisions.

With a week to go in the season, Pittsburgh was in the hunt for the league's best record and did it largely without Crosby (he missed 60 games). Once he returned, they became the hottest team in the league and were the favorite to win the Cup.

But, as you know, the playoffs rarely play to form in the NHL. This year is no different.

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 06:29 PM
Yes. Alot of experts picked Pittsburgh. 4 seed, yes, but 4th in the whole league too. You have to remember that 2 and 3 in the East were worse than 4, 5, and 6 but got those seeds automatically for winning their divisions.

With a week to go in the season, Pittsburgh was in the hunt for the league's best record and did it largely without Crosby (he missed 60 games). Once he returned, they became the hottest team in the league and were the favorite to win the Cup.Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the division-leaders pushing Pittsburgh's seed down. I wasn't questioning it, to be clear, I knew Crosby made them a huge threat. I just didn't realize there were others besides Melrose that made that call.

steelerfan
04-22-2012, 07:21 PM
pushing Pittsburgh's seed down.

:sick: :D

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Lmao. You sick bastard.

steelerfan
04-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Lmao. You sick bastard.

:D

By the way, Vancouver is done too. LA wins in 5.

baseballplyrmvp
04-22-2012, 10:02 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2fucking dammit :mad: http://www.w54.biz/images/smilies/rant_yellow.gif

NatureBoy
04-23-2012, 09:05 AM

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1945966/81499114.gif

jaymo76
04-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Great part of living in hockey"crazy" Vcr... listneing to the autopsy on the local radio stations 24/7.

steelerfan
04-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Great part of living in hockey"crazy" Vcr... listneing to the autopsy on the local radio stations 24/7.

Chicago can join us now, in the postmortem.

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Let's say that the Caps manage to upset the Bruins in Beantown tomorrow night. Who becomes the favorite from the East? And do they have a shot against the West? ( I ask this being more oblivious about the relative quality of the teams this year than most )

jaymo76
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
I think Nashville has the potential to make a nice run. NBC in the USA and CBC in Canada must be freaking out right now. This could be a disaster for ratings with all the big markets dropping like flies.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Let's say that the Caps manage to upset the Bruins in Beantown tomorrow night. Who becomes the favorite from the East? And do they have a shot against the West? ( I ask this being more oblivious about the relative quality of the teams this year than most )

It's still too early to say. Only 1 East series has ended as of this minute. Though, I'd say the Rangers, if they survive, and the Flyers if they don't.

I like Nashville and (moreso) St. Louis in the West. It will be tough to knockout Jonathan Quick though.

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ah, for some reason I was thinking the Caps/Bruins was going to be the last series to end. I got my schedules mixed up.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 10:37 PM
Ah, for some reason I was thinking the Caps/Bruins was going to be the last series to end. I got my schedules mixed up.

Now, as we speak, there will be 3 Game 7s in the East.

SmoothPancakes
04-24-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm looking forward to that Kings-Predators series. I don't know why, but that series just feels like it's gonna be a great one to watch.

steelerfan
04-25-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm looking forward to that Kings-Predators series. I don't know why, but that series just feels like it's gonna be a great one to watch.

The Kings are playing the Blues. In the NHL, the seedings carry forward so #8 always plays the best opponent remaining. In this case, it's #2 St. Louis.

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2012, 12:32 AM
The Kings are playing the Blues. In the NHL, the seedings carry forward so #8 always plays the best opponent remaining. In this case, it's #2 St. Louis.

Damn, that's right. :fp: I keep forgetting that the NHL has their playoffs like that. Every year I make the same mistake, thinking the brackets of the NHL playoffs are static.

Hopefully they both win and advance then, because that would be a series I'd like to see.

JeffHCross
04-25-2012, 09:19 PM
thinking the brackets of the NHL playoffs are static.Instead, they're the only ones that really do it the right way (though I wouldn't want to see, say, the Round of 32 get re-seeded in March Madness)

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Anarchy continues to reign supreme in the Eastern Conference. It's up to the Devils and Senators to continue the anarchy tomorrow night.

steelerfan
04-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Caps win in OT to eliminate the Bruins in 7. That's the first series that I correctly predicted the winner and the number of games.

steelerfan
04-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Rangers eliminate the Sens. NY will face Washington now and the Flyers get the NJ/FLA winner. Currently the Devils lead the Panthers, 1-0, starting the 2nd.

SmoothPancakes
04-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Way to suck it up and ruin the anarchy Senators. :(

steelerfan
04-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Devils eliminate the Panthers in 2OT.

steelerfan
04-26-2012, 11:20 PM
My series picks were 5-3 in the first round, but 2 of the 3 I lost were series I considered coin flips (Flyers and Kings).

I'll re-pick round 2 (leaving any matchups I correctly projected alone) tomorrow.

steelerfan
04-26-2012, 11:21 PM
And that damn bet I considered would have hit (Blues, Devils, Kings). Should've called the bookie. :down:

steelerfan
04-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Ok, without a bunch of explaining (I've already given my synopsis on each team), here are my 2nd round picks.

1Rangers vs 7 Capitals
Rangers in 7. This one was part of my original picks so I'm sticking with it.

5 Flyers vs 6 Devils
Flyers in 6. I would have picked NJ if they would have handled Florida the way they should have. The Flyers could be in trouble if the series takes a defensive turn.

2 Blues vs 8 Kings
Blues in 6. I love the Blues and they have better goaltending than even the Kings do. On top of that, they're more diverse in their scoring.

3 Coyotes vs 4 Predators
Predators in 5. End of the line for Phoenix. I was pretty surprised they got by Chicago, but I can't see them beating a Nashville team that is better across the board.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Though it's an advantage for the Caps, I have to feel for the Rangers ... end a seven-game series on Thursday night, play Game 1 on Saturday afternoon.

steelerfan
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Though it's an advantage for the Caps, I have to feel for the Rangers ... end a seven-game series on Thursday night, play Game 1 on Saturday afternoon.

If the Rangers win Game 1, the talk will be that maybe the Caps were rusty (kidding). Who knows? That's playoff hockey.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Hahahahaha. "They had to wait a whole three days!"

steelerfan
04-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Hahahahaha. "They had to wait a whole three days!"

Exactly. :D

JBHuskers
04-29-2012, 02:11 PM
http://talksportsphilly.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Lets_Go_Flyers.png

SmoothPancakes
05-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Kings are burning it up out west.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Kings are burning it up out west.

No kidding. It's gonna be interesting to see how far they ride this thing. You know the suits at NBC are praying for them to make the Final instead of Phoenix or Nashville.

SmoothPancakes
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
No kidding. It's gonna be interesting to see how far they ride this thing. You know the suits at NBC are praying for them to make the Final instead of Phoenix or Nashville.

Yeah, that's definitely a safe bet. :D Nashville is a fun team to watch, and Phoenix can play tough as hell, but neither compare to the Kings when it comes to tv. As for how things look (obviously looks can change), it appears right now the Kings are in good shape to reach the Finals. They smacked around the best team in the west, and just swept the second best team in the west.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Yeah, that's definitely a safe bet. :D Nashville is a fun team to watch, and Phoenix can play tough as hell, but neither compare to the Kings when it comes to tv. As for how things look (obviously looks can change), it appears right now the Kings are in good shape to reach the Finals. They smacked around the best team in the west, and just swept the second best team in the west.

8-1 so far for the Kings. It's tough to argue against them do anything this year. Very impressive.

SmoothPancakes
05-06-2012, 06:47 PM
8-1 so far for the Kings. It's tough to argue against them do anything this year. Very impressive.

Yep. Not to take anything away from Nashville or Phoenix, but based on how the Kings have done so far this postseason, I'd be tempted to pencil them through to the Finals right now.

JeffHCross
05-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Unless it's Detroit, Boston, or the Rangers (or Pittsburgh/Washington because of well-known names), I really don't think the participants in the NHL finals really move the needle much for ratings. I'm sure they do a little bit, and with the NHL maybe that "little bit" goes a long way. But you know people will tune into the NBA finals more for the Lakers or Knicks versus the Thunder or Grizzles, talent be damned. I just don't think the Kings have that LA-wide appeal anymore.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
If the Kings are in the SCF, the city will watch. Ideally, I'm sure they're rooting for the Rangers to join them. However, Philadelphia and Washington are quite popular so it wouldn't be a disaster if they were in.

I'm sure those execs are shuddering at the thought of New Jersey versus Nashville or Phoenix. The southern expansion of the league, while viewed as a failure by many, is actually very good for USA Hockey as we've started to see kids drafted from places like Phoenix and Dallas.

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Damn. Philly just blew a 2-0 lead in the time it took for me to type that last post. :D

SmoothPancakes
05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
If the Kings are in the SCF, the city will watch. Ideally, I'm sure they're rooting for the Rangers to join them. However, Philadelphia and Washington are quite popular so it wouldn't be a disaster if they were in.

I'm sure those execs are shuddering at the thought of New Jersey versus Nashville or Phoenix. The southern expansion of the league, while viewed as a failure by many, is actually very good for USA Hockey as we've started to see kids drafted from places like Phoenix and Dallas.

Beat me to it. I was just about to say, while they may not have the players of old like Bobby Clarke, Mark Recchi, Eric Lindros or John LeClair, you can definitely include the Flyers amongst the teams that would draw a TV crowd in the Finals.

JBHuskers
05-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Damn. Philly just blew a 2-0 lead in the time it took for me to type that last post. :D

Yep. :fp:

JeffHCross
05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Yeah, you're right. Chicago and Philly both work too. Anyway, my main point is that there are major market cities that actually care about their hockey team, and then there's LA. Sure, the marketing execs would prefer the Kings to the Preds or Coyotes. I just don't see the Kings moving the needle that much.

The execs would be much better off if they just made sure that every possible deciding game is on NBC. That would move the needle more :D

steelerfan
05-06-2012, 08:23 PM
I don't know, man. There are a ton of people in LA and the number of them that would watch the SCF would go way up if the Kings were playing. I know they don't have a huge die-hard fanbase, but I've got to believe that at least 3x more would watch if LA was in than if they weren't. In that city, that number would move the needle.

JeffHCross
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
"Catch us at 10:15 on CNBC!"

Looks at clock. 10:15.

Well, clearly that wasn't a live promo.

JBHuskers
05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Flyers are out of the playoffs. Mentally they just were gassed. But the consolation is that they took Pittsburgh out in the first round :up:

steelerfan
05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Flyers are out of the playoffs. Mentally they just were gassed. But the consolation is that they still have no Cup in JB's lifetime. :up:

Fixed.

JBHuskers
05-09-2012, 09:32 AM
http://imgupld.lunaticoutpost.com/graphic/images/2011/May/28/9E4A_4DE18B72.gif

psuexv
05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Flyers are out of the playoffs. Mentally they just were gassed. But the consolation is that they took Pittsburgh out in the first round :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uQ2qKiY2xsQ#t=33s

JBHuskers
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM
If anyone can name that movie of my GIF, bonus points for you. It's one of my favorites, but not a well known movie.

psuexv
05-09-2012, 09:59 AM
If anyone can name that movie of my GIF, bonus points for you. It's one of my favorites, but not a well known movie.

Maybe I'm missing something but I get a "No Hotlinking" picture :dunno:

steelerfan
05-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Maybe I'm missing something but I get a "No Hotlinking" picture :dunno:

Yep.:D

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-8b9b-ec32.jpg

JBHuskers
05-09-2012, 10:33 AM
:D okay I saved it and uploaded it to photobucket...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/johngoodman.gif

psuexv
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

How many bonus points do I get?

Edit - Actually I think I'm wrong. He had an eye patch in O brother where art thou. Is it Barton Fink?

psusnoop
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
How many bonus points do I get?

Edit - Actually I think I'm wrong. He had an eye patch in O brother where art thou. Is it Barton Fink?

Yep

JBHuskers
05-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Yep you're right. Another not so well known movie that Goodman is in that I really like too is What Planet Are You From with Gary Shandling and Greg Kinnear.

JeffHCross
05-09-2012, 09:15 PM
On a topic actually relevant to hockey, Washington won a, IMO, very boring game against the Rangers tonight, forcing Game 7 in New York on Saturday. Ovechkin scored about 90 seconds into the game, they added a second in the 2nd, and the Rangers didn't find the net until they deflected a puck off a Capitals defender's ass with 50 seconds to go.

For a moment, I thought the Caps were somehow going to manage to have a lead with a minute remaining and yet go into OT. That would have figured.

But on the subject of our earlier discussions about NBC's desperation for ratings ... Game 7 is going to be played at 7:30 PM on Saturday ... on Versus NBC Sports Network. Washington & New York markets, and you don't find a way to make that an NBC game? (EDIT: I guess they can't preempt The Firm or SVU)

Also, the Capitals are the first team in NHL playoff history to win four consecutive games following overtime losses.

JBHuskers
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
NBC primetime is probably not til the finals.

JeffHCross
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
NBC primetime is probably not til the finals.Probably not, which is convenient because it won't interfere with May sweeps. But still, you'd think they'd find a way to make that game on NBC ... especially with how hard up they were to get games on NBC earlier in the series (i.e. the back-to-back games Washington played earlier).

steelerfan
05-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Seems like they could have made it an afternoon start to put it on NBC.

JeffHCross
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Conflict with golf.

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Conflict with golf.

As someone who watches golf on the weekends, you know you have issues when your sport gets bumped to a different channel for golf, The Firm and SVU. :D

steelerfan
05-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Conflict with golf.

Didn't know that. Golf on TV is the worst invention ever. :D

As someone who watches golf on the weekends, you know you have issues when your sport gets bumped to a different channel for golf, The Firm and SVU. :D

Meh. It's just a conference semi. :)

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
Meh. It's just a conference semi. :)

Between Washington (w/ Alex Ovechkin) and the New York Rangers. :)

And game 7 of that conference semi.

JBHuskers
05-10-2012, 12:24 AM
But it's the The Player's Championship...the 5th major! :up:

steelerfan
05-12-2012, 09:04 PM
Bye, bye Ovechkin.

1 Rangers vs 6 Devils

3 Coyotes vs 8 Kings

JeffHCross
05-12-2012, 09:11 PM
The Capitals end-game strategies have been their undoing. Survive the last six seconds of Game 5, and they have damn good chance of winning the series.

steelerfan
05-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Bye, bye Ovechkin.

1 Rangers vs 6 Devils

3 Coyotes vs 8 Kings

I'm taking the Devils in 7 and the Kings in 5.

Since I've picked against both the Kings and Coyotes in each of the first two rounds, this should make Phoenix fans exited. :P

ram29jackson
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I don't know, man. There are a ton of people in LA and the number of them that would watch the SCF would go way up if the Kings were playing. I know they don't have a huge die-hard fanbase, but I've got to believe that at least 3x more would watch if LA was in than if they weren't. In that city, that number would move the needle.

yep, nothing says hockey more than Mexicans rioting after a hockey game !

its LA, ..you win, the fans will come..its simple as that..the Ducks won it like ..what..? 3 years ago ?..So. Cal is the hockey mecca LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPEy7B1STU

uniforms the color of bruises LOL

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/charliesimmertriplecrownline.jpg

steelerfan
05-15-2012, 10:23 PM

I may have overestimated Phoenix. :D

SmoothPancakes
05-15-2012, 10:33 PM
I may have overestimated Phoenix. :D

I have to agree. :D The Kings continue going apeshit this postseason. I would never have guessed they'd be tearing everyone up like this back at the start of the playoffs.

jaymo76
05-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Not going to lie... I have NOT really enjoyed the playoff hockey this year. Slower pace, limited offence, and a lack of story lines have impacted the enjoyment of the post season.

NatureBoy
05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
I have to agree. :D The Kings continue going apeshit this postseason. I would never have guessed they'd be tearing everyone up like this back at the start of the playoffs. :D Neither did I. I was just happy they landed the 8th seed in the West. I had no idea they would become an ass kicking machine in the playoffs. Only two more wins until the Stanley Cup Finals!

JBHuskers
05-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah I'm rooting for the Kings here. The two playing in the east are the enemies. Enemy #2 and #3 behind the Penguins.

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Despite being an Avalanche fan, I'm somewhat partial to the Kings now because that was who drafted my Be a Pro center in NHL 11 and who I played hundreds of games with. So it'd be nice to see them win. Plus I actually give a damn to whatever extent about the Kings, and give no damn about the Rangers or Devils.

steelerfan
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
I am definitely rooting for the West winner in the SCF.

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Damn, there's a dude selling these great seats for $150 (almost half of face value). Seeing Callahan lay out Deron Williams could be worth it.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17mu7tth7sjwejpg/original.jpg

NatureBoy
05-17-2012, 10:59 PM
One win away....

https://fbcdn-photos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-snc1/v565063/flyers/3/4/1335845274571785040_1_c5210be5.jpg

steelerfan
05-17-2012, 11:10 PM
Five wins away....

Fixed.

Stay focused, buddy. Get that Cup!

NatureBoy
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
You are right. I need to look at the big picture. Only five wins away.......

NatureBoy
05-21-2012, 09:35 AM
So much for a sweep of the series.

psusnoop
05-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Kings all the way here, no way can i root for an east team. Just not possible.

jaymo76
05-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I don't like the way the Devils play but I really want to see them win the series just because of John Tortorella and his terrible treatment of the media.

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 06:35 PM
lets see...second round of playoffs this year...going to the finals something like 15 times over the last 30 years....I can live with them not being great for a few years LOL...and the L.A. Kings may pick up the Lakers slack anyway :D

To avoid cluttering up the NBA thread (which ram's post that I quoted is from), I'll go ahead and put this over here since it had to do with the Kings.

As to your post ram, the Kings may pick up the Lakers slack, but LA has no clue who the fuck the Kings are. :D :fp:

Some examples courtesy of Deadspin:

Example 1: - http://deadspin.com/5910377/

Los Angeles’s Favorite Hockey Team Is A Basketball Team

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17mpdn1f2duvajpg/xlarge.jpg

Example 2 - http://deadspin.com/5911601/the-kings-have-the-ball-more-hockey-coverage-from-los-angeles

"The Kings Have The Ball": More Hockey Coverage From Los Angeles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y1a4-MpU-8

Example 3 - http://deadspin.com/5912030/the-los-angeles-media-market-continues-to-not-know-the-la-kings-play-hockey

The Los Angeles Media Market Continues To Not Know The L.A. Kings Play Hockey

For video check out the Deadspin link. In it, when transitioning from basketball to hockey, they show the Sacramento Kings' mascot instead of that of the LA Kings.

https://p.twimg.com/AtcC2BpCQAAIf6f.jpg

Picture from: https://twitter.com/#!/BaileyLAKings/status/204635435236999172/photo/1

Edit - Looks like shit, but found some video of the mascot fuck-up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SwBx3pLhRw

So at current count, KCBS, KNBC, and the LA Fox affiliate have all fucked up when it comes to the Kings. Looks like it's KABC's turn next.

Because of all the dumbasses in the LA media, the Kings organization went and made an infographic. Maybe this will help the LA media in the future when talking about the Kings:

http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/SmoothPancakes/original.jpg

ram29jackson
05-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Like I said, you dont need to know what the sport is. You just need to be a winner to riot in the streets LOL

Mexicans hardly play basketball or hockey, but dammit, they are professional rioters !!!!!!

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Like I said, you dont need to know what the sport is. You just need to be a winner to riot in the streets LOL

Mexicans hardly play basketball or hockey, but dammit, they are professional rioters !!!!!!

No, your fans just need to be a bunch of clueless, dumbass, bandwagon jumpers. Another reason why I hate the fuck out of LA, nothing but bandwagon douchebags galore.

Edit - Obviously there are people who have been fans of LA teams (be it Lakers, Clippers or Kings) all their lives, but there is no doubt the overwhelming majority of Lakers fans are just bandwagon jumping douches because the Lakers have won a couple championships in the last decade and it's apparently "cool" to be seen in a Lakers jersey. Sadly, I'm sure the same is probably happening to the Kings right now, a bunch of people claiming to be lifelong Kings fans who probably didn't even know the Kings existed before this year.

steelerfan
05-21-2012, 07:42 PM
That sheet needs to include the current NHL logo too. At the end of example 1, they use the old logo from years ago.

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
That sheet needs to include the current NHL logo too. At the end of example 1, they use the old logo from years ago.

Yeah, that was something a commenter pointed out on Deadspin as well, using the NHL logo that hasn't been used since something like 2004.

jaymo76
05-21-2012, 07:55 PM
No, your fans just need to be a bunch of clueless, dumbass, bandwagon jumpers. Another reason why I hate the fuck out of LA, nothing but bandwagon douchebags galore.

For a moment I thought you were describing the Vancouver rioters last year :D It seems like people just look for an excuse to act like idiots regardless of where they are from. Here's a thought... you riot... you go to jail... for a long time.

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 08:06 PM
For a moment I thought you were describing the Vancouver rioters last year :D It seems like people just look for an excuse to act like idiots regardless of where they are from. Here's a thought... you riot... you go to jail... for a long time.

I thought of a good idea for rioters. There are two ways to go about it.

First, if you destroy something, say flip a car and set it on fire. We go to your house, flip your car and set it on fire as well. You throw rocks, bottles and other crap through store windows, we go to your house and spend the night throwing rocks, bottles and other crap through your windows as well. If what people did to the property of others while rioting was also done to their own property, rioting would die.

Second, screw police officers with batons, tear gas, etc. Nope, bring in dozens of teams of paintballers and declare open season. Watch that crowd disperse damn fast and in a hurry when you have hundreds and thousands of paint balls flying at you from every direction. :D

ram29jackson
05-21-2012, 08:11 PM

Edit - Obviously there are people who have been fans of LA teams (be it Lakers, Clippers or Kings) all their lives, but there is no doubt the overwhelming majority of Lakers fans are just bandwagon jumping douches because the Lakers have won a couple championships in the last decade and it's apparently "cool" to be seen in a Lakers jersey. Sadly, I'm sure the same is probably happening to the Kings right now, a bunch of people claiming to be lifelong Kings fans who probably didn't even know the Kings existed before this year.

actually, it could be put the other way..not the rioters, but just general fans..the fact is LA fans might be the most intelligent quite frankly...Sports is entertainment, nothing more,nothing less..if you arent a winning team, there is no reason to pay money to see you on a regular basis...nobody claims to be a lifelong fan LOL no one cares if you are or not a life long fan..its just something to go to and do

Look, in the long term, I am a Rams, Packers, Lakers, Dodgers, A's, Angels, Kings, Penn State,UCLA,Nebraska fan..but I'm a fan of all sports teams too because its all just the ultimate in reality tv... I dont need to prove I followed them when they were losing. Thats what immature people worry about...band wagon jumping is a pointless,unimportant topic..Sports are like movies..it either entertains me or it doesnt..losing doesnt entertain me LOL..so, I will continue to be a Rams fan, but I wont sit through a game when I picked against them in the first place on ESPN pigskin pickem because I knew they would lose LOL

ram29jackson
05-21-2012, 08:13 PM

First, if you destroy something, say flip a car and set it on fire. We go to your house, flip your car and set it on fire as well. You throw rocks, bottles and other crap through store windows, we go to your house and spend the night throwing rocks, bottles and other crap through your windows as well. If what people did to the property of others while rioting was also done to their own property, rioting would die.

Second, screw police officers with batons, tear gas, etc. Nope, bring in dozens of teams of paintballers and declare open season. Watch that crowd disperse damn fast and in a hurry when you have hundreds and thousands of paint balls flying at you from every direction. :D

people who flip cars usually dont have their own in the first place

jaymo76
05-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Or option three...we send them to Britain and they are tried and sentenced before the end of the week. In Vancouver they are still pressing charges almost a year later. What a joke!

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
actually, it could be put the other way..not the rioters, but just general fans..the fact is LA fans might be the most intelligent quite frankly...Sports is entertainment, nothing more,nothing less..if you arent a winning team, there is no reason to pay money to see you on a regular basis...nobody claims to be a lifelong fan LOL no one cares if you are or not a life long fan..its just something to go to and do

Look, in the long term, I am a Rams, Packers, Lakers, Dodgers, A's, Angels, Kings, Penn State,UCLA,Nebraska fan..but I'm a fan of all sports teams too because its all just the ultimate in reality tv... I dont need to prove I followed them when they were losing. Thats what immature people worry about...band wagon jumping is a pointless,unimportant topic..Sports are like movies..it either entertains me or it doesnt..losing doesnt entertain me LOL..so, I will continue to be a Rams fan, but I wont sit through a game when I picked against them in the first place on ESPN pigskin pickem because I knew they would lose LOL

:fp: I give up. It is absolutely pointless trying to discuss sports, bandwagon jumping and fanship of teams with you. :fp:

JeffHCross
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
:fp: I give up. It is absolutely pointless trying to discuss _____ with you. :fp:News flash. Film at 11. (Though who watches the news is apparently debatable.)

SmoothPancakes
05-21-2012, 08:33 PM
News flash. Film at 11. (Though who watches the news is apparently debatable.)

:D Yeah, you'd think I'd learn my lesson by now after two years of back and forth with ram. :smh:

ram29jackson
05-21-2012, 08:41 PM
:fp: I give up. It is absolutely pointless trying to discuss sports, bandwagon jumping and fanship of teams with you. :fp:

how is it pointless ? I made the ultimate point about it..that talking about it is pointless :D

people can root for who or what ever they want when ever they want. Just be honest about it.

ram29jackson
05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
News flash. Film at 11. (Though who watches the news is apparently debatable.)

depends on if there is a new weather girl..

SmoothPancakes
05-23-2012, 12:08 AM
The Kings are in the Stanley Cup Finals.

steelerfan
05-23-2012, 12:21 AM

Got the West right. We'll see about the East, it certainly looks like it could go 7.

SmoothPancakes
05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Got the West right. We'll see about the East, it certainly looks like it could go 7.

If the Devils win, I'm picking Kings to win the Stanley Cup in 5 games, 6 tops. If the Rangers win, I'm going with the Kings in 7.

ram29jackson
05-23-2012, 02:02 AM
..and the 2 channels it was possibly on, I dont have..what a bunch of junk..theyve made MLB part of basic.but not NHLnetwork..and it wasnt on prime either..pathetic

SmoothPancakes
05-23-2012, 02:08 AM
..and the 2 channels it was possibly on, I dont have..what a bunch of junk..theyve made MLB part of basic.but not NHLnetwork..and it wasnt on prime either..pathetic

It's called get better cable.

NatureBoy
05-23-2012, 07:40 AM
The Kings are in the Stanley Cup Finals.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/Daniel_Demented/RicFlair_Gamecocks.gif
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

ram29jackson
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

:D whats the problem?

its my educated opinion that stupid people support losing teams long term :D like its some badge of honor or something.
Being loyal to real life acquaintances or friends is one thing..being loyal to a losing team is another thing entirely :D

SmoothPancakes
05-25-2012, 07:46 PM
And we are two periods away from a Devils-Kings showdown in the Stanley Cup Finals. Devils up 2-0 right now on the Rangers.

steelerfan
05-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Kings-Devils it is.

steelerfan
05-30-2012, 09:23 PM
Damn, Wednesday snuck up on me!

I know Game 1 is underway, but my pick is (and has been) Kings in 6.

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 10:06 PM
A 2012 Stanley Cup Playoff game has gone into overtime.

Call me stunned.

ram29jackson
05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
back handed pass, 1 game up

ram29jackson
06-02-2012, 09:54 PM
...I hate OT

JeffHCross
06-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Last time Game 1 and Game 2 of the SCF both went into overtime: 1951.

ram29jackson
06-02-2012, 10:35 PM

for the love of God..do you have to google everything or did they say that on the telecast and I missed it ? :P

it may be true that it didnt happen for those 2 games in a long time,,but regardless, a great deal many Hockey playoff games seem to go to OT anyway. Its not very surprising.

Well,..the Kings can play real loose in game 3 now :nod:

JeffHCross
06-02-2012, 10:41 PM
for the love of God..do you have to google everything or did they say that on the telecast and I missed it ? :PYou missed it. They said it as the 3rd period ended, and had a nice 1/3-of-the-screen graphic and everything.

Overtime games are more common in the NHL than other sports, but I've never seen as many overtime games as I've seen this postseason.

steelerfan
06-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Well,..the Kings can play real lose in game 3 now :nod:

:fp:

ram29jackson
06-02-2012, 11:31 PM
corrected

SmoothPancakes
06-03-2012, 04:46 AM

When's the last time every game played in the SCF all went into overtime? Since I wouldn't be surprised to see us head down that route.

SmoothPancakes
06-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Well,..the Kings can play real loose in game 3 now :nod:

Actually not really. A 2-0 series lead is great and all, but it's not time to lay back and play loose. 3-0 series lead, yes, but 2-0, it won't take much for the Devils to even the series up by the Kings "playing loose".

JeffHCross
06-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Actually not really. A 2-0 series lead is great and all, but it's not time to lay back and play loose. 3-0 series lead, yes, but 2-0, it won't take much for the Devils to even the series up by the Kings "playing loose".I would normally agree, but a 2-0 series lead when you've got the next two games at home is a very, very comfortable decision. They certainly can play with a lot less pressure on their shoulders.

steelerfan
06-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I would normally agree, but a 2-0 series lead when you've got the next two games at home is a very, very comfortable decision. They certainly can play with a lot less pressure on their shoulders.

Yes, but they've been better on the road throughout the playoffs, and they won the first 2 in OT. If the Devils win Game 3, the pressure will be squarely on the Kings again.

JeffHCross
06-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Absolutely. 2-1 at home is really not relaxing at all. You have to keep serve at home.

But 2-0 at home is comfortable. Not saying they should take their foot off the pedal, but they won't be playing tight either.

SmoothPancakes
06-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Absolutely. 2-1 at home is really not relaxing at all. You have to keep serve at home.

But 2-0 at home is comfortable. Not saying they should take their foot off the pedal, but they won't be playing tight either.

Exactly, they don't have to play tight with a 2-0 lead, but they don't want to be playing loose either, especially after the first two games needing OT to be decided. New Jersey is absolutely more than capable of making the Kings pay for playing loose and taking it easy. They don't need to play like they're in a 0-2 or 0-3 hole, but they also don't need to be playing like they're up 3-0 and have been dominating the Devils.

ram29jackson
06-03-2012, 04:20 PM
for crying out loud..shut up with the over analyzation already :)

you will psychologically be looser with a 2-0 lead, instead of 0-1 or 1-1.

its simple math guys, you dont need to over think it LOL

..but a 2-3 goal lead in a game would be nice to have too. 2 goals in 6 regulation periods needs to be improved on.

SmoothPancakes
06-03-2012, 04:25 PM
for crying out loud..shut up with the over analyzation already :)

you will psychologically looser with a 2-0 lead, instead of 0-1 or 1-1.

its simple math guys, you dont need to over think it LOL

..but a 2-3 goal lead in a game would be nice to have too. 2 goals in 6 regulation periods needs to be improved on.

Go ask the San Antonio Spurs if it's over-analyzing.

steelerfan
06-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Look at this over-analyzation.

C'mon, ram. It's simple math. Now the Kings can play "lose".

jaymo76
06-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Being Canadian, I have watched a lot of hockey over the years. I remember well the Oilers dynasty and those were some of the best teams ever assembled on ice. However, I must say that what the Kings have done this post season is simply phenomenal. I have never seen a team play on the ROAD like the Kings have. What they have accomplished thus far is amazing!

ram29jackson
06-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Look at this over-analyzation.

C'mon, ram. It's simple math. Now the Kings can play "lose".

no, thats called wishful thinking

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 07:36 PM
are you freaking kidding Me?

I cant get the-game 3- anywhere on my tv...?!!

stupid....crap

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
It's on Versus/NBC Sports Network.

But ... am I seeing things? American Ninja Warrior is on national NBC? Lmao. :smh:

ram29jackson
06-04-2012, 09:21 PM
It's on Versus/NBC Sports Network.

But ... am I seeing things? American Ninja Warrior is on national NBC? Lmao. :smh:

neither is part of my basic and NBC is the only one listing it on my red button sports scores update

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
neither is part of my basicJust FYI, they're the same channel. They switched names a few months ago, which is why I listed both names. Just in case you knew it by the former and not latter.

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Unless it's Detroit, Boston, or the Rangers (or Pittsburgh/Washington because of well-known names), I really don't think the participants in the NHL finals really move the needle much for ratings. I'm sure they do a little bit, and with the NHL maybe that "little bit" goes a long way. But you know people will tune into the NBA finals more for the Lakers or Knicks versus the Thunder or Grizzles, talent be damned. I just don't think the Kings have that LA-wide appeal anymore.*cough cough cough* (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/sports/hockey/ratings-dont-match-intensity-of-stanley-cup-finals.html) (<--link)

LOS ANGELES — The four previous Stanley Cup finals were compelling on the ice, all involving cities with deep hockey traditions and all providing the N.H.L. with a boost in television ratings.

This year, the finals have been equally electrifying (both Games 1 and 2 were decided in overtime), but the series between the Devils and the Kings does not involve big-name clubs from places with deep hockey traditions. Not surprisingly, television ratings in the United States are down, as is interest among hockey fans in general. Unless the Devils can mount a comeback, these finals may be the least watched in the past five years.

While Games 1 and 2 drew good ratings in New York and Los Angeles, according to figures provided by NBC, across the rest of the United States, overnight ratings for Game 1 were off 25 percent from last year’s Boston-Vancouver opener, and Game 2 was down 12 percent from last year.

JBHuskers
06-04-2012, 09:37 PM
And New Jersey has officially mailed it in.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Turn your head and cough, Jeff. ;) (don't get excited, ram)

My argument was LA in the SCF as opposed to Nashville, Phoenix, etc. Unless you have data that proves that the ratings would be the same with them, I stand by what I said.

JeffHCross
06-04-2012, 09:55 PM
My argument was LA in the SCF as opposed to Nashville, Phoenix, etc. Unless you have data that proves that the ratings would be the same with them, I stand by what I said.I don't disagree.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I don't disagree.

:up:

JBHuskers
06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Kings become the first team in history to lead every playoff series 3-0.

steelerfan
06-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Jesus!

That certainly stacks the deck in your favor!

JBHuskers
06-04-2012, 10:24 PM

This is since the NHL went to 4-rounds, best of 7 in 1987.

ram29jackson
06-05-2012, 12:05 AM
a recent Sports Illustrated article pointed out that J K Cooke bought/founded/started the Kings because there were, by their research, 800,000 Canadians in and around LA at the time in the 60s.

Cooke later said..- paraphrasing - I guess we found out they moved from Canada because they dont like hockey :(...regardless, this will boost profit for next year.

basically, all 3 teams at Staples made extra profit this year with extended seasons

NatureBoy
06-05-2012, 08:59 AM
This King's team is awesome! An 8 seed, going undefeated on the road, and now just absolutely taking it to the Devils. This is an AMAZING run. This really is one of the all time great championship stories in sports history. Seriously - the Kings barely made it into the playoffs (they were at the #9 spot not long before the end of the season), and now they are dominating the playoffs. Unreal!

psusnoop
06-05-2012, 09:06 AM
This King's team is awesome! An 8 seed, going undefeated on the road, and now just absolutely taking it to the Devils. This is an AMAZING run. This really is one of the all time great championship stories in sports history. Seriously - the Kings barely made it into the playoffs (they were at the #9 spot not long before the end of the season), and now they are dominating the playoffs. Unreal!

Amazing run to say the least. Quick has been dominating everyone.

JeffHCross
06-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Hot streak goaltender = Stanley Cup run. It's amazing how often that stereotype/cliche/pattern/whatever has held true.

NatureBoy
06-06-2012, 10:19 PM
:( No sweep for LA.

ram29jackson
06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
:( No sweep for LA.

yep, got to wait one more game possibly....dang,not till Saturday

JeffHCross
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Honestly, I'm glad. Would have hated to see LA win the Cup on Versus.

steelerfan
06-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Are the Kings playing "lose" enough for you now, ram?

ram29jackson
06-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Are the Kings playing "lose" enough for you now, ram?

the goalie was too loose

NatureBoy
06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
:blush::mad: It looks like LA is going to ass around and lose this thing.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 01:34 AM
:blush::mad: It looks like LA is going to ass around and lose this thing.

I still like the odds.

NJ getting 4 in a row just aint gonna' happen

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 07:49 PM
..1st period, 2-0......!!!!!!!!

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 07:55 PM
3 goals in one period alone!!

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/number3.jpg

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Kings are definitely winning it all tonight. Jesus Christ. That 5 minute major for boarding and 10 minute game misconduct both against Steve Bernier with 9:50 completely fucked New Jersey. Kings got 3 power play goals off those two penalties by Bernier. I'm sorry, but New Jersey isn't coming back from that.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 08:25 PM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/4numberfourincircle.png

to nothing, second period !!!!!

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 08:27 PM
4-0 now.

Congrats to the real Kings fans (ie Nature Boy) and the bandwagon jumpers (ie ram). It's good to see LA finally get the Cup, and even better to see the Cup stay in the States for the 19th consecutive year. (sorry, Canada)

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 08:30 PM
4-0 now.

Congrats to the real Kings fans (ie Nature Boy) and the bandwagon jumpers (ie ram). It's good to see LA finally get the Cup, and even better to see the Cup stay in the States for the 19th consecutive year. (sorry, Canada)

excuse me ?

I saw Dave Schulz beat the crap out of a rookie live and in person in 1978. Dont even call me a band wagon jumper LOL...and i had a Rogie Vachon poster in my room too !

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 08:39 PM
excuse me ?

I saw Dave Schulz beat the crap out of a rookie live and in person in 1978. Dont even call me a band wagon jumper LOL...and i had a Rogie Vachon poster in my room too !

On the first page of the NHL Discussion thread for this season, you said you wanted to watch the teams in the East, not the Cali teams.

Furthermore, you have stated your (weak, bandwagon) opinion about following a team that is losing. That's not a fan. That's a bandwagon hopper.

You got a congrats from me, but a Kings fan - you are not.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 08:51 PM
On the first page of the NHL Discussion thread for this season, you said you wanted to watch the teams in the East, not the Cali teams.

Furthermore, you have stated your (weak, bandwagon) opinion about following a team that is losing. That's not a fan. That's a bandwagon hopper.

You got a congrats from me, but a Kings fan - you are not.

bullshit !!! I live in the area, I am a sports fan, thats all i need to qualify. :D

again, its sports, its entertainment. I dont need to be a card carrying member of anything.

furthermore , If I am wanting more than just a local team to watch, that means I am a more well rounded fan than a centric Kings fan LOL

weak/ bandwagon opinion = LOLOL you amuse me so :D. Only people in Cleveland worry about the word/slang bandwagon meaning anything :D thats why they are so miserable. They believe you are supposed to root for a losing team :D

:up: sports !! :up:

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Stealing this from JB's post in the regular season thread. It's interesting looking back at what the experts picked and how it all actually played out.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/nhl1112.jpg

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Sorry, ram. You're just a typical, soft LA "fan". No loyalty, no depth. (No wonder you people can't keep an NFL team around). You think you have enjoyed the championships that your so-called "teams" have won, but you don't know what it means until you have been through the bad times.

From your remarks, I suspect that you never played a team sport. Never learned the meaning of loyalty, of team. Never sweated and bled with your "brothers". If so, it's understandable. However, the fact that you dismiss loyalty - that, alone, makes you a bandwagon fan. Plain and simple, no matter how you slice it, or try to dress it up.

You never said one word about the Kings until a week or two ago. Now, you expect to be called something other than "bandwagon"? Not gonna happen, bro.

psuexv
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Got to agree with :sf: here. That would be like me saying I was a Kings fan. Was I rooting for them yes, do I consider myself a fan, no.

Ram it's easy to call yourself a fan of a team when you root for everyone... Oh yeah, that's because you are a "sports" fan. So it makes it ok for you to root for whoever is winning.

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Got to agree with :sf: here. That would be like me saying I was a Kings fan. Was I rooting for them yes, do I consider myself a fan, no.

Ram it's easy to call yourself a fan of a team when you root for everyone... Oh yeah, that's because you are a "sports" fan. So it makes it ok for you to root for whoever is winning.

:+1:

JBHuskers
06-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Stealing this from JB's post in the regular season thread. It's interesting looking back at what the experts picked and how it all actually played out.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/nhl1112.jpg

Shows you what they know :D

JeffHCross
06-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, that's because you are a "sports" fan. So it makes it ok for you to root for whoever is winning.I'm a "sports" fan, but at least I stick with my (set of) team(s).

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Sorry, ram. You're just a typical, soft LA "fan". No loyalty, no depth. (No wonder you people can't keep an NFL team around). You think you have enjoyed the championships that your so-called "teams" have won, but you don't know what it means until you have been through the bad times.

From your remarks, I suspect that you never played a team sport. Never learned the meaning of loyalty, of team. Never sweated and bled with your "brothers". If so, it's understandable. However, the fact that you dismiss loyalty - that, alone, makes you a bandwagon fan. Plain and simple, no matter how you slice it, or try to dress it up.

You never said one word about the Kings until a week or two ago. Now, you expect to be called something other than "bandwagon"? Not gonna happen, bro.

I can't wait for next week when ram's trying to claim that he's a fan of either the Miami Heat or Oklahoma City Thunder. :D

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
I can't wait for next week when ram's trying to claim that he's a fan of either the Miami Heat or Oklahoma City Thunder. :D

No shit! :D

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 09:43 PM

LOL sports is reality entertainment, nothing more. i dont need to prove loyalty for shit LOL.

actually LA fans are the most intelligent because they dont worry about following a loser LOL

of course ive played team sports ( and I was the ultimate team player too ! ) but that doesnt have shit to do with this.

these are paid professionals who have contracts and if you dont win you dont make money. I dont need to root for a loser to prove shit to anyone LOL

and look who's talking..I'm not quiting being a Penn State fan just because of junk that happened outside the football field :) ( you should hear the crap i get from my Nebraska fan friends still :D, a couple of them have their kids calling me Penn State Perry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksBEway4_Ow

5:00 minutes to go !!!

can the Dodgers carry the flame ?

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 09:49 PM
LOL sports is reality entertainment, nothing more. i dont need to prove loyalty for shit LOL.

actually LA fans are the most intelligent because they dont worry about following a loser LOL

of course ive played team sports ( and I was the ultimate team player too ! ) but that doesnt have shit to do with this.

these are paid professionals who have contracts and if you dont win you dont make money. I dont need to root for a loser to prove shit to anyone LOL

and look who's talking..I'm not quiting being a Penn State fan just because of junk that happened outside the football field :) ( you should hear the crap i get from my Nebraska fan friends still :D, a couple of them have their kids calling me Penn State Perry)

5:00 minutes to go !!!

can the Dodgers carry the flame ?

One :D for the post.

Two :D for the "reasons".

Three :D for the Dodgers comment.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 09:50 PM

nope, not a major fan of either, but i have a t shirt from when the heat won their first title :D and by the way; Pat Riley is in their front office ( Laker connection) :D

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 09:51 PM
nope, not a major fan of either, but i have a t shirt from when the heat won their first title :D and by the way; pat riley is in their front office ( laker connection) :D

But they're winners! They won their conferences. Even the Lakers couldn't do that. That like makes you a lifelong fan of them or something by your standards.

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 10:00 PM
And in the last 10 minutes, car fires, residential fires, vandalized property, overturned vehicles, smashed windows, looted stores, robberies, burglaries, people mugged, and violence involving guns, baseball bats and other deadly weapons have increased tenfold. So basically your standard Friday and Saturday nights in LA, just taking place on Monday night.

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh yeah, and ram, another nail in the coffin on you being a bandwagon fan and not a true fan of the Kings. You claim you're a fan of winners, that you and LA fans "don't follow losers". Then that right there eliminates you as a Kings fan as tonight is their first ever Stanley Cup, first time ever winning it all since they started playing in 1967.

JeffHCross
06-11-2012, 10:09 PM
As soon as anyone says that they don't follow a losing team, that instantly means they're bandwagon.

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 10:27 PM
As soon as anyone says that they don't follow a losing team, that instantly means they're bandwagon.

For me, it's only the people who had never shown any interest in a team or even made mention of or talked about the team once before, and all of sudden now that that team has had success or won it all or something, they act like they're the team's biggest fan.

And ram, since he's pretty much straight up admitted that he's a bandwagon fan, jumping from "winning team to winning team". Granted in his own little mind and world, that's couldn't possibly be any further from the truth.

NatureBoy
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s480x480/421532_10150955076224239_570684064_n.jpg

2012 Stanley Cup Champions! WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Congrats Naitch! A great win for that franchise. It was definitely pleasing to watch the Kings win the title after playing as a center for the Kings in Be a Pro in NHL 11. Enjoy it man!

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 10:38 PM

you miss the point ( there really isnt a point and it doesnt matter anyway but..) yes, I'm a sports fan, doesnt mean i'm lying or trying to jump a bandwagon. It just means I am appreciating sports, teams and the outcome of the games.

No matter who wins it is a great human accomplishment to watch every year and I am jealous and happy for all who get to do it.

sure, it means more if my primary favorites win. But if they are losing, its disappointing but it doesnt mean I have to sit there and stare at them LOL

the only thing I need to be a sports fan is a basic knowledge of the sport, turn on the tv and pick a team to root for. I dont need to sit there for 10 years watching them lose. What a glorious waste of time that is.

when it comes to the Kings, calling me a band wagon jumper is a bunch of bull because since i live in the area, I've obviously watched them off and on for years.

...LOL oh , whatever,sports is entertainment, I can do what ever the fuck I want !!!! :D and there aint nothing fake or dishonest or confusing about it !!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OADQrr4KXM

the day a team pays me to root for them is the day I worry about being loyal.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM

it means they are smart and dont waste time with pointless endeavor's.

bandwagon is a term invented by loser fans to feel good about their stupid loyalty.

and again, bandwagon has nothing to do with me anyway because i'm not pretending to be a life long fan of anyone.

NatureBoy
06-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Congrats Naitch! A great win for that franchise. It was definitely pleasing to watch the Kings win the title after playing as a center for the Kings in Be a Pro in NHL 11. Enjoy it man!

Thanks ! All I can say right now is whew! I'm still on cloud nine! I've been a Kings fan since the early 80's. It's been a chore to be a Kings fan all these years but this was worth the wait. When the Gretzky trade went down in the late 80's, I was on top of the world but this beats the heck out of that! lol! I was so hopeful LA could win it all in 93 vs Montreal but it didn't happen. I wish I could bottle the feeling I have now and and keep it forever. The sitting and watching of all those crappy years and now the Kings are Stanley Cup Champs! I still can't get over it. I won't sleep a wink tonight. lol.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 10:51 PM
look on the bright side :D I'm not jumping on cars or starting fires ...I might go get a beer though ?

JeffHCross
06-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Bill Simmons on watching his daughter suffer through the Game 4 Kings loss (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8026268/the-consequences-caring), and then watching his Celtics lose the next day. As always, great writing.

it means they are smart and dont waste time with pointless endeavor's.You waste time with "pointless" (which is, obviously, in the eye of the beholder) endeavors all the time. Why stop there? :P

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Bill Simmons on watching his daughter suffer through the Game 4 Kings loss (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8026268/the-consequences-caring), and then watching his Celtics lose the next day. As always, great writing.

You waste time with "pointless" (which is, obviously, in the eye of the beholder) endeavors all the time. Why stop there? :P

touche..video games are very pointless

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks ! All I can say right now is whew! I'm still on cloud nine! I've been a Kings fan since the early 80's. It's been a chore to be a Kings fan all these years but this was worth the wait. When the Gretzky trade went down in the late 80's, I was on top of the world but this beats the heck out of that! lol! I was so hopeful LA could win it all in 93 vs Montreal but it didn't happen. I wish I could bottle the feeling I have now and and keep it forever. The sitting and watching of all those crappy years and now the Kings are Stanley Cup Champs! I still can't get over it. I won't sleep a wink tonight. lol.

Congrats, again, man! Enjoy it!

NatureBoy
06-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Congrats, again, man! Enjoy it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2:up: Thanks! It was a long, long time coming but it was worth the wait.

steelerfan
06-11-2012, 11:14 PM
:up: Thanks! It was a long, long time coming but it was worth the wait.

Precisely!

That is something that "Bandwagon Boy", sadly, will never understand.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Precisely!

That is something that "Bandwagon Boy", sadly, will never understand.

bullshit !!! I'm older than wrestling fanboy and live closer to the team and have been aware of their actions since 77-78 !!

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM

This. This is the reason why there are those of us who don't claim we're fans of whoever the hot team of the year is, why we're fans of our own specific teams and are fans only of those teams. Because of moments like Naitch is experiencing right now, when that championship is won and it makes it so much sweeter, so much better, so euphoric. When the Broncos won the Super Bowl in 98 and 99, I was in the exact same place Naitch is right now. By claiming fanship (of any level, be it "lifelong fan" or just "fan because I'm a sports fan in general") of teams like Green Bay or Indianapolis or Pittsburgh or something, it would completely corrupt the joy and euphoria of the Broncos (or anyone's own favorite team) winning it all. It would completely cheapen the experience of the Broncos someday winning it again if I sat there claiming to be a fan of teams that won the Super Bowl here and there.

It's gonna be the same with the Colorado Rockies. Someday they'll manage to recapture the magic of that 2007 season and make it back to the World Series, and when that day eventually comes that the Rockies win it all, my God, there will be no bigger high on earth possible than the one I'll be experiencing. Or take Navy. In the 90s and first couple years of the 2000s, they were HORRIBLE. Winless seasons, 1 or 2 win seasons, at one point I think they only had 3 wins total over 3 or 4 years. But now, after this past decade of dominating Army, of dominating Air Force for a majority of the decade, of winning the Commander-in-Chief's trophy multiple years, of making a bowl game for 8 straight years after having not been in a bowl game since 96 (and 81 before that), it's a feeling I still enjoy, a feeling I still love and one that I would never get from any other team by claiming to be a fan of them just because they won a bunch.

I'm not going to get the same feeling I get from Navy's success by claiming to be a fan of Ohio State, even though they have been extremely successful nearly every single year since basically forever. I may watch them every week on TV because I'm a college football fan and I enjoy watching the Big Ten, but I'm not gonna claim them as "my team" or claim to be a fan of them if they win the national title in two years. And based on your own words:

when it comes to the Kings, calling me a band wagon jumper is a bunch of bull because since i live in the area, I've obviously watched them off and on for years.

I would be well within my right to "claim" to be a fan of Ohio State if they won a national title because I live in Ohio, I've lived in Ohio all my life, every single member of my family (parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) are Ohio State fans. But I'm not going to because I'm a Navy fan.

The way I think of it, it's like marriage. Your marriage is gonna go through ups and downs (and some never get out of the downs and end in divorce), but you keep going, you keep fighting and working to make things better and get back to that up, you don't just cut bait and run at the first sign of distress. For me, it's the same way in sports. The teams I'm a fan of, they're all going to have ups and downs. The ups are great and fun, the downs you just gotta keep going, fight through and wait for that up to come back around. I'm not gonna cut bait and run and abandon the teams I'm a fan just because they are having down years and aren't finding a lot of success at the moment.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 11:29 PM

why ? what do you get for it ? is there a check in the mail now ? will girls date you for being a Kings fan ? :D

SmoothPancakes
06-11-2012, 11:32 PM

Enjoy it and live it up man! It's a great feeling to have.

And sorry we had/have to sit here sort of sullying up your celebration with the ram/bandwagon fans back and forth debate/arguments. Pay no attention to all of this side talk, you just keep celebrating and enjoying the night! :up:

ram29jackson
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
dont bother me about who's a fan of what.

this is about sports content and these are great pictures for this year/season

http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/Quick.jpg

ram29jackson
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/KingsStanleyCup.jpg

steelerfan
06-12-2012, 07:11 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-31db-9b53.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-31f6-1fa2.jpg

NatureBoy
06-12-2012, 07:45 AM
bullshit !!! I'm older than wrestling fanboy and live closer to the team and have been aware of their actions since 77-78 !!

:D Holy freaking cow, what a dumbass! I swear to goodness just when you think ole ram can't get any dumber, he tops himself. There's a huge difference in being aware of their actions and being a fan of the team. Being a fan means sticking with the team through the good times and the bad, not just when they are winning. There's been a lot of lean years in LA but you wouldn't know that unless you caught it on the news.

And what does living closer got to do with anything? I have lived in South Carolina my entire life and I guarantee i've watched more Kings games than you have ever thought about watching. Try as you may sonny boy, you are not going to rain on my victory parade.

NatureBoy
06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
This. This is the reason why there are those of us who don't claim we're fans of whoever the hot team of the year is, why we're fans of our own specific teams and are fans only of those teams. Because of moments like Naitch is experiencing right now, when that championship is won and it makes it so much sweeter, so much better, so euphoric. When the Broncos won the Super Bowl in 98 and 99, I was in the exact same place Naitch is right now. By claiming fanship (of any level, be it "lifelong fan" or just "fan because I'm a sports fan in general") of teams like Green Bay or Indianapolis or Pittsburgh or something, it would completely corrupt the joy and euphoria of the Broncos (or anyone's own favorite team) winning it all. It would completely cheapen the experience of the Broncos someday winning it again if I sat there claiming to be a fan of teams that won the Super Bowl here and there.

It's gonna be the same with the Colorado Rockies. Someday they'll manage to recapture the magic of that 2007 season and make it back to the World Series, and when that day eventually comes that the Rockies win it all, my God, there will be no bigger high on earth possible than the one I'll be experiencing. Or take Navy. In the 90s and first couple years of the 2000s, they were HORRIBLE. Winless seasons, 1 or 2 win seasons, at one point I think they only had 3 wins total over 3 or 4 years. But now, after this past decade of dominating Army, of dominating Air Force for a majority of the decade, of winning the Commander-in-Chief's trophy multiple years, of making a bowl game for 8 straight years after having not been in a bowl game since 96 (and 81 before that), it's a feeling I still enjoy, a feeling I still love and one that I would never get from any other team by claiming to be a fan of them just because they won a bunch.

I'm not going to get the same feeling I get from Navy's success by claiming to be a fan of Ohio State, even though they have been extremely successful nearly every single year since basically forever. I may watch them every week on TV because I'm a college football fan and I enjoy watching the Big Ten, but I'm not gonna claim them as "my team" or claim to be a fan of them if they win the national title in two years. And based on your own words:

I would be well within my right to "claim" to be a fan of Ohio State if they won a national title because I live in Ohio, I've lived in Ohio all my life, every single member of my family (parents, sister, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) are Ohio State fans. But I'm not going to because I'm a Navy fan.

The way I think of it, it's like marriage. Your marriage is gonna go through ups and downs (and some never get out of the downs and end in divorce), but you keep going, you keep fighting and working to make things better and get back to that up, you don't just cut bait and run at the first sign of distress. For me, it's the same way in sports. The teams I'm a fan of, they're all going to have ups and downs. The ups are great and fun, the downs you just gotta keep going, fight through and wait for that up to come back around. I'm not gonna cut bait and run and abandon the teams I'm a fan just because they are having down years and aren't finding a lot of success at the moment.

Well said SmoothPancakes. It's a feeling that comes along once in a lifetime. Even if the Kings are lucky enough to ever win the Stanley Cup again, nothing tops the feeling I had last seeing a team I have been a fan of most of my life win their very first Championship. I know I wasn't aware of their actions in 77-78 like some people we know but I was just a little kid back then. I hope everyone can cut me some slack on that. :D

NatureBoy
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-31db-9b53.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-31f6-1fa2.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNXTrUu8fmH880o_zyVTRQIE3On1uOv L8W3y4UvuDtSDgr0IqD