PDA

View Full Version : Golf Talk (PGA Tour & Your Own Game)

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Figured we'd make a new thread to talk about golf on your own scale, and at the pro level. We'll start off this thread with a nice shot of the public Green Jacket Ceremony:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120409012133-bubba-watson-jacket-c1-main.jpg

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Definitely very stoked for Bubba, I've been a fan of his for the past couple of years now. It was amazing seeing his first tour win and breaking down in tears, and it didn't take long at all for the emotions to hit once he sank that last putt.

And for those who did watch the tournament or saw highlights, you know that one of the best shots ever was made at the par 5 2nd hole today by Louis Oosthuizen. A double eagle. Only the 4th double eagle in Master's history, and the first to be done at the 2nd. Now each par 5 has one double eagle made on it in Master's history. Here's a neat after story of the man who caught the double eagle ball that Louis surprisingly tossed into the crowd:

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters12/story/_/id/7789839/2012-masters-fan-returns-ball-louis-oosthuizen-double-eagle-augusta-national

skipwondah33
04-09-2012, 08:49 AM
I love watching the Master's, almost mainly because of the course. Looks unreal

But I also love how the Greens are cut/designed. If you find the correct slope it will funnel right into the cup, as evident by the shot JB mentioned. I remember noticing that a few years ago when Tiger hit a shot that rolled some 20+ feet right into the cup.

I want to get into playing Golf but can't hit a ball properly for the world. I've only played once and it was a blast..damn back was sore like never before as well lol

Told my Wife I wanted clubs either for my Bday or Christmas because I'm going to start playing. I won't be that guy with the top of line Clubs that can't hit the ball worth a damn so I'll pretty much take anything

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 10:20 AM
I remember Verne going nuts when Tiger hit that putt on 16 years back.

I'm purposely staying away from ESPN today as they are going to just beat you over the head with Bubba Watson like he just arrived.

SmoothPancakes
04-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Even more so, that double eagle was fucking insane! That ball hit at the front of the green and rolled the entire damn length of the thing, bobbing and weaving through the curves and changes in the green before finally making the cup. Louis almost had an incredible putt for eagle too on one of the later holes. Putted from the fringe, at least a good 50 feet away, bobbing and weaving it through again, and was halfway down into the damn hole before it bounced back out due to too much momentum and speed.

Don't forget Bo Van Pelt 8 under in the 4th round alone! Four birdies, an eagle, and a hole in one on the par 3 16. Even more amazingly, just hours later, Adam Scott hit another hole in one, also on the par 3 16th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4WqXxwsDo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y0OISIb-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1XYggbyMPI

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah even though I've been a fan of Bubba, I wouldn't have hated it if Louis won either. I remember watching the 2010 Open Championship that he dominated. He's a very cool guy. And would have been a cool moment if one of his best friends Charl would have put the Green Jacket on Louis.

On top of that ace at 16, Adam Scott had a chip in at 17 also. That was quite the two holes.

JBHuskers
04-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Nature Boy just posted this GIF in the GIF thread :D

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1048084/hangin.gif

skipwondah33
04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
hahaha

JBHuskers
04-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Of course they wouldn't show this on TV at The Masters, but some drunk dude got arrested for going past the ropes, going into a bunker and scooping up some sand; which led to a Keystone Cops chase around the course before he finally got caught and arrested :D

Violator
04-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey Skip. I am looking to sell my old set. Not bad clubs at all and great for a beginner. If your serious I will cut you a deal. Got full set of Tommy Armour irons. A Nike (forget what type 3 wood. Big Bertha Driver and a cleveland putter. Will also include golf bag and shit thats in it if you want.

skipwondah33
04-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Just now seeing this Vio. Have not the slightest clue about Clubs, is there certain lengths and what not. I'm 6'-1" is that matters lol

PM your price if you wouldnt mind.

Actually going out Saturday to play. It should definitely be interesting lol

JBHuskers
06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
The U.S. Open is at the Olympic Club in San Francisco. The 18th hole has a nice set of bunkers that spell IOU :D talk about the course sending you a message...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/OlympicClub-18thHole.jpg

psusnoop
06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
That is pretty funny. I need to hit the links soon. It's been almost a month since I've last been out.

JBHuskers
06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
DAMN! Just saw a stat pop up on NBC that the first six holes have played +616 so far.

Tarhead10
06-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah I cant imagine playing there, especially with the 16th hole being 670 yards!!! :fp:

SmoothPancakes
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, looks like no title defense for Rory. Besides getting eaten alive by nearly every course the last four or five tournaments, a 77 yesterday and a 73 today, sitting at +10 with the current cut at +8, hello to another cut.

As for the course in whole, I definitely believe that statistic with currently only 6 players in the entire tournament sitting at par or better. Out of 156 players, only 6 with a score of par or better, it's definitely your typical "please use lots of lube while you bend me over" US Open.

Tarhead10
06-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, looks like no title defense for Rory. Besides getting eaten alive by nearly every course the last four or five tournaments, a 77 yesterday and a 73 today, sitting at +10 with the current cut at +8, hello to another cut.

As for the course in whole, I definitely believe that statistic with currently only 6 players in the entire tournament sitting at par or better. Out of 156 players, only 6 with a score of par or better, it's definitely your typical "please use lots of lube while you bend me over" US Open.

Yeah USGA loves making it difficult, no doubt..:nod:

JBHuskers
07-23-2012, 01:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/golf-devil-ball-golf/ernie-els-improbable-british-open-win-allows-bettor-132240953--golf.html

Ernie Els took home the Claret Jug and a cool $1.452 million for coming from six shots back to win the British Open at Royal Lytham and St Annes. But he wasn't the only guy who cashed in on Sunday afternoon.

As betting website WagerMinds.com reported, someone had the chutzpah to throw $70 on Ernie Els to win the British Open at 469-to-1 odds when Adam Scott had a four-shot lead with four holes to play.

Crazy bet, right? There was no way Scott was going to lose ... at least that's what most of us thought at the time. When Scott came unglued over the final four holes, the bettor, who placed the wager through a site that allows you to bet during the round, cashed in on his $70 Hail Mary bet and walked away with a tidy $32,830.

Not a bad day's work if you ask me. But wait, the story gets even crazier: This isn't the first time a bettor has made over $30,000 betting on the British Open. Just last year, a gentleman placed a $300 futures bet on Darren Clarke to win the British Open and pocketed just over $37,000.

What does this story tell us? If you want to bet on a long shot, do it at the British Open. There's a good chance you could walk away with a once-in-a-lifetime story ... and at least $30,000 in cold, hard cash.

skipwondah33
07-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Haha wow. That would have been sweet.

On another note, the guy that crashed the US Open trophy presentation was at the British Open on Saturday. ESPN was panning around the course looking at the people dressed all weird and he was one of the people they showed with his hat on lol.

JBHuskers
07-23-2012, 02:30 PM
As great as it was to see Ernie win The Open, it was definitely heartbreaking watching Adam Scott.

skipwondah33
07-23-2012, 02:33 PM
As great as it was to see Ernie win The Open, it was definitely heartbreaking watching Adam Scott.That type of collapse isn't suppose to happen but it does when you've never been there before.

Definitely enjoyed seeing Ernie win given that he was praying for an exemption into the Masters a few months ago. Won't have to worry about that now.

JBHuskers
07-23-2012, 02:49 PM
That type of collapse isn't suppose to happen but it does when you've never been there before.

Definitely enjoyed seeing Ernie win given that he was praying for an exemption into the Masters a few months ago. Won't have to worry about that now.

Nope, and Adam Scott is only 32. It took Phil to nearly get to 36 for his first major.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

SmoothPancakes
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM
What a complete and total collapse by the US today at the Ryder Cup. :smh:

Had a 10-6 lead going into the singles today, Europe comes out and has taken 7 of the 10 completed matches to tie it up 13-13, and Kaymer has a 1 up lead on Stricker going onto the 18th. The only hope the US has of winning the cup back is Stricker winning the point back on the 18th and splitting the match with Kaymer and then Tiger winning his match with Molinari.

SmoothPancakes
09-30-2012, 05:13 PM
And that's it. After a horrible putt that missed the line and never broke toward the cup by Stricker, Kaymer two putts to win the match and Europe takes a 14-13 lead. Stricker did redeem himself somewhat by making a par putt to force that second putt by Kaymer, but the sunk par for Kaymer wins it for Europe.

Europe retains the cup. Tiger is one up after 17, so the US could tie it 14-14 to save some face, but no cup this time around for the US.

SmoothPancakes
09-30-2012, 05:17 PM
If Tiger holds on to his 1 up lead over Molinari, Europe will go 8-4 in the singles matches today. :smh: Absolute, total choke job by the US. Just terrible.