PDA

View Full Version : Join The Gaming Tailgate's 2012 ESPN.com Tournament Challenge

cdj
03-10-2012, 07:55 PM
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/ESPNTournamentChallenge.jpg

Think you can predict how the NCAA Tournament will shake out? Join The Gaming Tailgate's 2012 Tournament Challenge on ESPN.com and prove it. The group is free to join and a prize will be awarded to the winner.

ESPN.com Tournament Challenge (http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/frontpage)
Group #: 30675
Password: TGT2012

Feel free to invite friends and family to the group as well. Good luck!

You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?548-Join-The-Gaming-Tailgate-s-2012-ESPN.com-Tournament-Challenge

gschwendt
03-10-2012, 09:05 PM
I haven't followed college basketball whatsoever this year but I'll join.

morsdraconis
03-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Eh, I guess I'll join.

CLW
03-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I'm in

NatureBoy
03-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Do you have a link to the group?

SmoothPancakes
03-11-2012, 07:31 PM
This year's field BLOWS! Total fuckjob by the committee.

cdj
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Do you have a link to the group?

ESPN.com Tournament Challenge - http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/frontpage

If that doesn't work, let me know.

psusnoop
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm in

Kwizzy
03-12-2012, 10:24 AM
I know nothing about college bball and HATE my bracket, which means I'll probably win. :D

hawkeyeguy
03-12-2012, 11:18 AM
In. But the Group is "The Gaming Tailgate" if you search for 30675 you won't find anything.

JBHuskers
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I am in. I like my mix of favorites with a couple upsets in the Sweet 16.

ram29jackson
03-12-2012, 02:28 PM
This year's field BLOWS! Total fuckjob by the committee.

there ya' go again, Mr. Happy Pants :P

SmoothPancakes
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM
there ya' go again, Mr. Happy Pants :P

What? I'm just being honest? Am I not allowed to give my honest opinions about stuff anymore if they're negative?

ram29jackson
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
What? I'm just being honest? Am I not allowed to give my honest opinions about stuff anymore if they're negative?

Read the history of your posts, youll probably find the majority come off negative and crass

....Captain Crass....:P

SmoothPancakes
03-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Read the history of your posts, youll probably find the majority come off negative and crass

....Captain Crass....:P

Well, the world we live in today is going to shit in a handbasket, so it's pretty easy to be that way a lot. :P

ram29jackson
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I probably followed more college ball out of high school...while its easier to upset a team when its 5 on 5 and all are doing alot of the same tasks on the court opposed to the highly specialized football world, i'll just go with most of the favorites

I have been a NORTH Carolina fan since 82..yes they were great back then of course, but it was also because I turned on my tv and saw some cool light blue uni's ! :nod:..Worthy,Perkins and Jordan were bonus's

SmoothPancakes
03-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Don't forget your 11 and 12 seed upsets! :)

JBHuskers
03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
Don't forget your 11 and 12 seed upsets! :)

Not sure on 11 but there are some 12 and 13's I have winning a game ;)

SmoothPancakes
03-13-2012, 12:20 AM
Not sure on 11 but there are some 12 and 13's I have winning a game ;)

My big ones are NC State/Colorado (11 seeds), VCU/Harvard (12 seeds), New Mexico State (13 seed) and Belmont (14 seed).

NatureBoy
03-13-2012, 10:58 AM
ESPN.com Tournament Challenge - http://games.espn.go.com/tournament-challenge-bracket/en/frontpage

If that doesn't work, let me know. I'm in. Thanks.

ram29jackson
03-14-2012, 01:26 PM
say bye to Syracuse

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 11:04 AM
NCAA TIME! Time to hit up bdubs for the next 2 1/2 to 3 hours eating some wings and drinking some beer while watching the noon games of the tournament.

Bohica1010
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I am IN!

JBHuskers
03-15-2012, 12:40 PM
My Final Four:

Wichita State
Michigan State
Ohio State
Kansas

Winner: Michigan State over Ohio State

Looks like I'm the only one in the group to take Michigan State.

CLW
03-15-2012, 01:59 PM
2/2 so far today :nod: (which is surely to be followed by an 0 fer night) :fp:

Final 4 = Kentucky; Ohio St.; Michigan St.; Kansas

Wanted to pute when I filled out my head bracket with the Kitties cutting down the nets. :sick:

Of course, that is before the NCAA strips the title due to cash money being given to players. :D

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
My Final Four: Baylor, Missouri, Florida State and Kansas. Missouri beats Kansas for the title.

gschwendt
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville, and Kansas with Kentucky beating Kansas in the finals.

I picked majority of the better seeds to win though a small handful of upsets along the way.

morsdraconis
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Uh oh. Syracuse down 4 at halftime to UNC Ashville. Could this finally be the year that a #1 seed falls to a #16?

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Uh oh. Syracuse down 4 at halftime to UNC Ashville. Could this finally be the year that a #1 seed falls to a #16?

:nod: My Kansas State over Syracuse pick in the Round of 32 is looking better and better.

morsdraconis
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
:nod: My Kansas State over Syracuse pick in the Round of 32 is looking better and better.

Mine as well. ;)

ram29jackson
03-15-2012, 03:41 PM

well, they arent really a number one seed now anyway LOL,without Melo etc..but i would like to think they still win this game though

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Kentucky, Ohio State, Louisville, and Kansas with Kentucky beating Kansas in the finals.

I picked majority of the better seeds to win though a small handful of upsets along the way.

I actually think I went too upset heavy this year. Picked VCU to knock off Wichita State and get to the Sweet Sixteen over Indiana (after I backed away from my initial New Mexico State pick and went with Indiana instead), Colorado to knock off UNLV, had Colorado State over Murray State, which seemed like a decent pick with as many 3s as they hit in a game, until they decided to turn the ball over more times than field goals they made.

Have Harvard going to the Sweet Sixteen over Vandy and Wisconsin, have NC State going to the Sweet Sixteen over SDSU and Belmont and have Belmont knocking off Georgetown. I originally had Belmont going to the Sweet Sixteen over NC State, but with picking 2 12 seeds to reach the Sweet Sixteen and three 11 seeds to make the Round of 32, I shied away from taking them that far, choosing NC State for the Sweet Sixteen instead.

My Elite Eight, I have Kentucky-Baylor (Baylor winning), New Mexico-Missouri (Missouri winning), Kansas State-Florida State (Florida State winning), and North Carolina-Kansas (Kansas winning.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Mine as well. ;)

I originally had Syracuse going all the way to the Final Four. Then I heard about Melo being ineligible and now have them losing in the Round of 32 to Kansas State. :D

morsdraconis
03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
How the FUCK does Syracuse get away with ANOTHER goaltending no call?! It wasn't even CLOSE this time and they still didn't call it.

You watch, they'll win the game by 1 or 2 points now. Hell, after that no call, they go on a little 6 point run. Talk about bullshit.

:smh: :smh: :smh:

CLW
03-15-2012, 03:56 PM
How the FUCK does Syracuse get away with ANOTHER goaltending no call?! It wasn't even CLOSE this time and they still didn't call it.

You watch, they'll win the game by 1 or 2 points now. Hell, after that no call, they go on a little 6 point run. Talk about bullshit.

:smh: :smh: :smh:

Because NCAA officials = :sf:?

Seriously just when I think the officiating in college bball cannot get any worse it manages to lower the bar every season.

CLW
03-15-2012, 04:35 PM
WTF is the deal with officiating? :sf::sf::sf: :fp:

gschwendt
03-15-2012, 04:36 PM
WTF is the deal with officiating? :sf::sf::sf: :fp:They just showed another replay of that lane violation and I don't think they were calling it on the runner from the top, instead calling it on the guy at the bottom of the block on that side. He had his foot in the lane while the shooter still had the ball in his hand. It may be ticky-tack for sure but that call could have been made.

CLW
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
They just showed another replay of that lane violation and I don't think they were calling it on the runner from the top, instead calling it on the guy at the bottom of the block on that side. He had his foot in the lane while the shooter still had the ball in his hand. It may be ticky-tack for sure but that call could have been made.

Goal tending call; "lane violation"; out of bounds on Cuse.

bdoughty
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Credit to UNCA, their star player can't hit the broad side of the basket, the refs were apparently Syracuse boosters and they hung in close.

That said, more close in shots of Juli Boeheim on Saturday are always welcome. :))

CLW
03-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Wow cuse looked just AWFUL today and would not have won that one but for the officials being :Syracuse: alumni.

After a performance like that hopefully that officiating crew is sent HOME for the rest of the season.

gschwendt
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Lost my first one... picked The Beach over New Mexico.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
They just showed another replay of that lane violation and I don't think they were calling it on the runner from the top, instead calling it on the guy at the bottom of the block on that side. He had his foot in the lane while the shooter still had the ball in his hand. It may be ticky-tack for sure but that call could have been made.

You could make that call 20 times a game, but you wait until the final minutes when Syracuse needs their asses bailed out to make it for the first time all game. Total bullshit by the refs. UNC-Asheville got fucking screwed.

gschwendt
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
You could make that call 20 times a game, but you wait until the final minutes when Syracuse needs their asses bailed out to make it for the first time all game. Total bullshit by the refs. UNC-Asheville got fucking screwed.Actually after the game they broke it down more in the studio... it wasn't called for the guy on the block but rather a player cannot go beyond the free-throw line until AFTER the ball hits the rim. The guy was halfway down the the lane (albeit outside it) when the ball hit the rim. It was unquestionably the right call... though I never knew it was a rule.

Don't get me wrong, the refs made some horrible calls, but the lane violation was not one of them.

morsdraconis
03-15-2012, 07:02 PM
:(

God damn it WVU. Why do you do this to me?

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Actually after the game they broke it down more in the studio... it wasn't called for the guy on the block but rather a player cannot go beyond the free-throw line until AFTER the ball hits the rim. The guy was halfway down the the lane (albeit outside it) when the ball hit the rim. It was unquestionably the right call... though I never knew it was a rule.

Don't get me wrong, the refs made some horrible calls, but the lane violation was not one of them.

Ah, alright, didn't hear them break down that call. But yes, still some horrible calls, all of them going Syracuse's way. There was no doubt the refs wanted to keep Syracuse playing.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Baylor looks like their regular uniforms mated with a pack of highlighters and these uniforms they're wearing tonight are the offspring.

CLW
03-15-2012, 10:45 PM
:Wichita_State: and :Connecticut: let me down :UNLV: not looking good either. Bad night after a perfect day.

SmoothPancakes
03-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Not bad so far for Day 1. 10-3 at this point. Only let downs were Colorado State, Harvard, and UConn.

morsdraconis
03-16-2012, 04:53 AM
And the #12 seeds strike again.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
And the #12 seeds strike again.

:nod: VCU has become an automatic first round pick for me every year. 2004, lost to Wake Forest by one point as a 13 seed. 2007, beat Duke as an 11 seed. 2009, lost to UCLA by one point as an 11 seed. Last year went to the Final Four as an 11 seed. And this year, as a 12 seed, had a very favorable matchup with Wichita State. VCU was the very first pick I made in my bracket, even before the 1 over 16 seed matchups.

As for my bracket so far, Ohio State, Indiana and Colorado (with the 11 over 6 upset) closed my day out as a good 13-3. Only misses were UConn (since the good Iowa State actually decided to show up to play last night), Colorado State (which I switched from Murray State to the Rams in the 11th hour), and Harvard, which had a good chance against Vanderbilt, just couldn't get it done. So far, my only damaging loss is Harvard, who I had going to the Sweet Sixteen over Wisconsin. Other than that, my bracket is still in pristine shape for the future rounds.

Today is where it's gonna get interesting, as I have NC State knocking off San Diego State in an 11-6 upset, and Belmont shocking Georgetown in a 14-3 upset. And then throw in Xavier and Purdue as 10 over 7 picks.

morsdraconis
03-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Belmont over Georgetown was a lock for me. I have them doing that in my bracket as well. Of course, I always do like three different ones because I have to do at least one where I have WVU winning it all (gotta get it out of my system ;) ).

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Belmont over Georgetown was a lock for me. I have them doing that in my bracket as well. Of course, I always do like three different ones because I have to do at least one where I have WVU winning it all (gotta get it out of my system ;) ).

Yep, I love how Belmont matches up against Georgetown. I can't wait for 3pm to come around. I actually had Belmont going to the Sweet Sixteen for most of the week, but switched it to NC State beating Belmont next round last night. I think having VCU and Harvard both as 12 seeds making the Sweet Sixteen, I sort of shied away from having a 14 seed get there as well.

CLW
03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Today was my "day of chaos". I've got 5 10+ seeds winning today: :Texas: :NC_State: :Belmont: :Purdue: :USF:

After today I'll either be :D :nod: OR :(:smh::fp:

morsdraconis
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Breakdown of what I chose today (Apparently I did go with Georgetown over Belmont in this bracket. Will be interesting to see if Belmont pulls it off or not):

Winner
Loser

:Cincinnati:
:Texas:

:Florida_State:
:St_Bonaventure:

:Notre_Dame:
:Xavier:

:Duke:
:Lehigh:

:Michigan_State:
:Long_Island:

:North_Carolina:
:Vermont:

:Creighton:
:Alabama:

:Temple:
:USF:

:Florida:
:Virginia:

:Missouri:
:Norfolk_State:

:Kansas:
:Detroit:

:Purdue:
:Saint_Marys:

:Georgetown:
:Belmont:

:San_Diego_State:
:NC_State:

:Michigan:
:Ohio:

Bohica1010
03-16-2012, 11:43 AM
13-3 after the first day. UCONN, Long Beach ST and UNLV were my only loses. Although I would have happily ate the Syracuse loss if they had lost like they were supposed to. I don't care what could have been called for the lane violation, what they did call was the guy on top and clearly he wasn't violating the lane. But that is just 1 in a myriad of bad calls against UNC ASH that would have gave them the lead or at least a chance to keep it. UNLV had a great, scratch that, an AMAZING run in the 2nd half, but seriously, down by 20 is a LOT to come back from. As for Iowa St, who would have through they were that good. They handled they defending champs like pros!

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Following Mors, here's my breakdown.

Winner

​Loser

:Cincinnati:
:Texas:

:San_Diego_State:

:Creighton:
:Alabama:

:Florida:
:Virginia:

:St_Bonaventure:

:Belmont:
:Georgetown:

:Vermont:

:Norfolk_State:

:Saint_Louis:
:Memphis:

:Lehigh:

:Michigan:
:Ohio:

:Purdue:
:Saint_Marys:

:Long_Island:

:Xavier:
:Notre_Dame:

:USF:

:Detroit:

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Here's what my Sweet Sixteen looks like.

South
East
West
Midwest

:Kentucky:
:Kansas_State:

:Virginia_Commonweal
:Harvard:
:New_Mexico:

:Baylor:
:Marquette:

:Ohio_State:

My Elite Eight.

South
East
West
Midwest

:Kentucky:
:Kansas_State:
:New_Mexico:

My Final Four.

South
East
West
Midwest

And my Championship game.

Winner
Loser

morsdraconis
03-16-2012, 01:32 PM
So far, so good, though my pick of :San_Diego_State: over :NC_State: might be a bad one. Not lookin' good so far.

morsdraconis
03-16-2012, 01:50 PM
And :NC_State: blitzes :San_Diego_State:.

My bracket just got that much worse. :fdown:

:Wichita_State: losing yesterday took away one of my Final Four picks already so I'm basically just riding along hoping everyone else gets fucked in that part of the bracket as well.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Of to a 2-0 start today thanks to :Cincinnati: and :NC_State:.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 03:23 PM
:Florida_State: = Me: :fp: :bang:

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Fuck you Missouri, you stupid goddamn no talent jackasses. Last time I ever pick you for jack fucking shit in the NCAA tournament.

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Thank God Missouri lost...my heavily homered bracket actually has a chance now, unless of course Florida loses to Norfolk State.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm rooting for upsets the entire rest of the tournament. Ohio, South Florida, Iowa State, VCU, Colorado, Kansas State, Gonzaga, NC State, Creighton. I'm rooting for them all.

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm rooting for upsets the entire rest of the tournament. Ohio, South Florida, Iowa State, VCU, Colorado, Kansas State, Gonzaga, NC State, Creighton. I'm rooting for them all.

picking Missou to win this game was realistic...picking them to win the tourny wasnt.

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM

you forgot Norfolk :D

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
picking Missou to win this game was realistic...picking them to win the tourny wasnt.

They were just as good a pick as any of the other 1-3 seeds. Besides, I prefer having some surprise teams to make it or win it all than all the robots who just pick stupid ass Kentucky vs. UNC every year.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
you forgot Norfolk :D

Because they just simply got lucky today. The other teams I listed have realistic chances to make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Come on Lehigh you motherfuckers! Destroy some more brackets!

I OU a Beatn
03-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Just another reason to hate Duke...my bracket is destroyed. :D

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Lehigh wins!!! I fucking love the NCAA tournament!!!

gschwendt
03-16-2012, 08:46 PM
My South bracket is all kinds of fucked up... I have 3 teams remaining (one of those Xavier has yet to play). The only good thing is that I picked Kentucky to win that bracket so I still have half a bit of hope. Conversely, I'm perfect in the East through the first round.

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Because they just simply got lucky today. The other teams I listed have realistic chances to make it to the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

lets see...the other dark horses are legit,but Norfolk got lucky? ya' know, I dont want them going any further, but they scored a heck of alot of points for a lucky team...?

the fact is..all the hype means nothing,..people know who the basketball powerhouses are and they will usually prevail. The no-names are a rarity and will remain that way. The robots are the smart basketball people..i'm not wasting my time picking teams from the bottom 20 because odds are most except maybe one will make it to the 8th spot..you pick the Duke's and NC'S because the fact is they constantly get there..basketball is a little more even handed then football but the power houses will always be the favorites..and Missou may be a major school, but theyve never been a b-ball power house threat, not worth a final 4 pick cause they seldom see 6 extra games a year

bdoughty
03-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Great day for hoops, even the kids from Long Island are hanging in so far.

How the NCAA can produce the greatness that is March Madness and conversely the BCS is beyond me. :bang:

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
lets see...the other dark horses are legit,but Norfolk got lucky? ya' know, I dont want them going any further, but they scored a heck of alot of points for a lucky team...?

the fact is..all the hype means nothing,..people know who the basketball powerhouses are and they will usually prevail. The no-names are a rarity and will remain that way. The robots are the smart basketball people..i'm not wasting my time picking teams from the bottom 20 because odds are most except maybe one will make it to the 8th spot..you pick the Duke's and NC'S because the fact is they constantly get there..basketball is a little more even handed then football but the power houses will always be the favorites..and Missou may be a major school, but theyve never been a b-ball power house threat, not worth a final 4 pick cause they seldom see 6 extra games a year

Well, Duke is worthless beyond the Sweet Sixteen as well. And you have better odds not picking the UNC, Duke and Kentucky of the world. Those three alone have combined to win exactly 4 titles since 2000. Then you have teams like Butler, Ohio State, Memphis, UCLA, Illinois, Georgia Tech, UConn, Maryland, Indiana, etc. I very much like my odds from year to year picking someone besides Kentucky, Duke or UNC.

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Well, Duke is worthless beyond the Sweet Sixteen as well. And you have better odds not picking the UNC, Duke and Kentucky of the world. Those three alone have combined to win exactly 4 titles since 2000. Then you have teams like Butler, Ohio State, Memphis, UCLA, Illinois, Georgia Tech, UConn, Maryland, Indiana, etc. I very much like my odds from year to year picking someone besides Kentucky, Duke or UNC.

dude, there are alot more div 1 b-ball schools then football schools if i'm not mistaken?

I look at it this way..making it to 16 constantly is still better then the majority no matter how you slice it..and it means you are constantly winning 2 more games then the rest of the country and illiminating the dark horses.

3 teams getting 4 titles since 2000 is incredibly against the odds considering how many schools keep trying to get there and those teams have been to the final 4 alot more then that with potential to win it compared to the other schools.

6 times since 97 for NC
5 times since 94 for Duke
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/finalfourseeds

out of 345 Div 1 schools..thats as close to perfect or superior as it gets. Distinct reasons they are always seeded higher, ranked higher and the reasons you pick them to make it more often then not

bdoughty
03-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Anyone else have to close their eyes every time they panned to the Lehigh cheerleaders? Yikes.

bdoughty
03-16-2012, 09:56 PM
stuff

Wow, I thought you had retired Mr Packer. Would you rather just skip to the Sweet 16 and eliminate any mid-majors from eligibility? Stop sucking the fun out of the greatest 4 days in sports (64/32 easily top the excitement of the rest of the tourney).

Kudos to ESPN for a great headline.

Missouri Loves Company
Make that two No. 2 seeds shocked Friday. Lehigh upset Duke 75-70 just hours after Norfolk State stunned Missouri

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 10:02 PM
dude, there are alot more div 1 b-ball schools then football schools if i'm not mistaken?

I look at it this way..making it to 16 constantly is still better then the majority no matter how you slice it..and it means you are constantly winning 2 more games then the rest of the country and illiminating the dark horses.

3 teams getting 4 titles since 2000 is incredibly against the odds considering how many schools keep trying to get there and those teams have been to the final 4 alot more then that with potential to win it compared to the other schools.

6 times since 97 for NC
5 times since 94 for Duke
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/ncaa-tournament/history/finalfourseeds

out of 345 Div 1 schools..thats as close to perfect or superior as it gets. Distinct reasons they are always seeded higher, ranked higher and the reasons you pick them to make it more often then not

Lol, what happened in the 90s don't matter in this day and age. I could go clear back to the 80s to find someone more impressive if you wanted to play that game. Anything earlier than 2000 doesn't matter anymore by this point. And anybody taking Duke, at the farthest, beyond the Sweet Sixteen is an idiot. They have gotten past the Sweet Sixteen just three times since 2000, and three times lost in the first or second round (four now including tonight). So again, picking Duke is stupid as hell. Sure, they'll get lucky once or twice a decade and get to the Final Four or win it all, but odds are they are losing within 2 or 3 games at the most.

Same thing with Kentucky. Sure, they've been good and went deep in 2010 and 2011, but beyond that, they have sucked ass in the tournament. The last time they had any success worth a damn in the tournament was 2003 and 2005. But go ahead and tell yourself that them, UNC and Duke should be automatic, sure picks every year if it'll make you feel better. Just proves you're nothing but a brainless sheep.

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow, I thought you had retired Mr Packer. Would you rather just skip to the Sweet 16 and eliminate any mid-majors from eligibility? Stop sucking the fun out of the greatest 4 days in sports (64/32 easily top the excitement of the rest of the tourney).

Missouri Loves Company
Make that two No. 2 seeds shocked Friday. Lehigh upset Duke 75-70 just hours after Norfolk State stunned Missouri

This. :nod:

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 10:08 PM

Missouri Loves Company

:D i'm like...where did I type "stuff"? LOL

dude, i'm not against it by any means..64 teams have a chance,thats what its for. I like the Butlers of the world too. I'm just saying mathematically, that still isnt the norm ..and if you have a vested interest, you go with what usually works.

..and mid majors is really a bad term..they are "small basketball schools"

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Lol, what happened in the 90s don't matter in this day and age. I could go clear back to the 80s to find someone more impressive if you wanted to play that game. Anything earlier than 2000 doesn't matter anymore by this point. And anybody taking Duke, at the farthest, beyond the Sweet Sixteen is an idiot. They have gotten past the Sweet Sixteen just three times since 2000, and three times lost in the first or second round (four now including tonight). So again, picking Duke is stupid as hell. Sure, they'll get lucky once or twice a decade and get to the Final Four or win it all, but odds are they are losing within 2 or 3 games at the most.

Same thing with Kentucky. Sure, they've been good and went deep in 2010 and 2011, but beyond that, they have sucked ass in the tournament. The last time they had any success worth a damn in the tournament was 2003 and 2005. But go ahead and tell yourself that them, UNC and Duke should be automatic, sure picks every year if it'll make you feel better. Just proves you're nothing but a brainless sheep.

brainless sheep? whats with the insults ? It doesnt nullify the past..my point is they have constantly been closer to the top more than any other schools and picking upsets out of hope doesnt cut it in the long run when the top 10-12-15 schools keep recycling their success..the past does matter because they still keep fighting near the top time and again..top 16 is still superior to most everyone..the past does matter because its proof that these schools constantly get there while the small schools do not..its the Butlers of the world who get lucky..not the Dukes

I just linked you a list of final four participants and there are 4 to 8 schools constantly in there for the last 30-40 years and they still are superior and successful..the brainless sheep are the people who dont pick them to go further...and you picked Kansas and the Seminoles so youre a slight bit of a hypocrite anyway :D cause those definitely aint small school type spoilers LOL

SmoothPancakes
03-16-2012, 10:48 PM
brainless sheep? whats with the insults ? It doesnt nullify the past..my point is they have constantly been closer to the top more than any other schools and picking upsets out of hope doesnt cut it in the long run when the top 10-12-15 schools keep recycling their success..the past does matter because they still keep fighting near the top time and again..top 16 is still superior to most everyone..the past does matter because its proof that these schools constantly get there while the small schools do not..its the Butlers of the world who get lucky..not the Dukes

I just linked you a list of final four participants and there are 4 to 8 schools constantly in there for the last 30-40 years and they still are superior and successful..the brainless sheep are the people who dont pick them to go further...and you picked Kansas and the Seminoles so youre a slight bit of a hypocrite anyway :D cause those definitely aint small school type spoilers LOL

:fp: Where did I ever say anything about picking only small school type spoilers? I'm talking specifically about Kentucky, UNC and Duke, the same teams everyone sucks the dicks of all tournament long. And Florida State and Kansas for me were picks because they were the best remaining teams I had left. I think UNC loses before the Final Four, I had Belmont upsetting Georgetown, and NC State's not good enough to go all the way, so Kansas was the only reasonable pick left for me to make in their region.

Same thing with Florida State. Kansas State is good enough to upset Syracuse (who I think is overrated as hell), but not good enough to make it all the way to the Final Four, neither was Harvard, who I had making the Sweet Sixteen. Ohio State is going to probably end up shitting the bed at some point before the end of next weekend, so that left just Florida State as the only reasonable pick to have make the Final Four out of that region. I'm not picking those two because I think they absolutely will get there, I'm picking them because they were the best remaining teams in their regions by the time I had my picks selected based on how I thought the tournament would play out.

Thus why I had Baylor beating Duke, because I knew Duke sucked this year and it was only a matter of time for them before they'd lose, I just didn't think it'd be so soon. Same reason why I have Michigan State losing in the Sweet Sixteen. I think the winner of New Mexico/Louisville (which I picked New Mexico) will beat MSU. I pick starting with the first round and build up to the Championship game from there, not pick my Final Four and build up my brackets around them. Thus why some of the picks (like FSU and Kansas) that I made, while also picking against UNC, Kentucky, Duke and Syracuse.

And still, anything that happened in the 80s and 90s no longer matter. That's ancient history. Only thing that matters is how teams have done in recent years, 2000 the earliest I'd accept. That's the shit that matters for statistics, not some random ass result from 1993 or something that has absolutely nothing to do with this year's tournament or the teams or recent history of the teams in this year's tournament.

And when I say brainless sheep, I'm using that in general for anyone who picks UNC, Kentucky, Duke, etc to automatically go deep in the tournament every year just because they have been good the last year or two (but have sucked in the tournament multiple other years in the last decade) or just because they're UNC, Kentucky, Duke or whoever else. That's nothing more or better than someone picking solely based on mascots or team nicknames or team colors or something.

ram29jackson
03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
...I dont think anyone here makes picks based on mascots ? :D

SmoothPancakes
03-17-2012, 02:37 AM
...I dont think anyone here makes picks based on mascots ? :D

On here I'd hope not. But unfortunately there are many people (a lot of them usually being women) around the country who do that. I know one chick I used to work with years ago did that. And somehow, against all logic, those same people usually end up doing well, while those of us picking on season results, statistics, matchups, etc have our brackets go down in flames. :fp:

JBHuskers
03-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Went from the cellar on day one to near the top of the groups I'm in for day two thanks to going 12-4 yesterday. Ohio upset camw through.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
03-17-2012, 01:48 PM
:smh:

Kansas State detrimentally hurts their chances by sitting their best player because of the possibility of ineligibility problems.

God damn it.

ryby6969
03-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Someone in Texas might need to go check on CLW. :D

SmoothPancakes
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Went from the cellar on day one to near the top of the groups I'm in for day two thanks to going 12-4 yesterday. Ohio upset camw through.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I was all alone in first place after going 19-4 to start (and would have still be in GREAT shape ever after Michigan and Duke lost), but yeah, so much for that. I'm gonna be going out in the backyard tonight around dusk and burning my bracket.

JBHuskers
03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I was all alone in first place after going 19-4 to start (and would have still be in GREAT shape ever after Michigan and Duke lost), but yeah, so much for that. I'm gonna be going out in the backyard tonight around dusk and burning my bracket.

Two groups that I'm in....both groups, I'm the only one to take Michigan State to win it all. Pretty clear who I want to win :D at least Wichita shitting the bed didn't completely screw me.

SmoothPancakes
03-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Two groups that I'm in....both groups, I'm the only one to take Michigan State to win it all. Pretty clear who I want to win :D at least Wichita shitting the bed didn't completely screw me.

Well, all I know is I'm rooting for upsets from here on out. I no longer give a damn about Baylor (one of my Final Four teams), so I'm rooting for Colorado today. I no longer give a damn about Florida State (another Final Four team), so I'm rooting for Cincinnati tomorrow. I no longer give a damn about Kansas (my championship game loser), so I'm rooting for NC State to beat Georgetown and then beat Kansas and make it to the Elite Eight. Then rooting for VCU, Xavier, Iowa State, New Mexico, the winner of the USF-Ohio game (though I'll be rooting for Ohio in that one). Time to blow the nation's brackets to hell. :D

SmoothPancakes
03-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Fuck. Way to piss away the goddamn game VCU. 2 whole fucking field goals in the final 10 minutes of the game. Pathetic. And now we're stuck with Kentucky-Indiana in the Sweet 16. Fuck watching that game (and I've watched every game on TV so far).

morsdraconis
03-17-2012, 08:37 PM
I haven't watched a single full game this tournament. I'm really starting to find sports boring...

ram29jackson
03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
I haven't watched a single full game this tournament. I'm really starting to find sports boring...

that synopsizes every post you have ever made :D but its also a lesson in ..life is not in the things in it...

CLW
03-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Someone in Texas might need to go check on CLW. :D

It was definitely touch and go there for awhile but in the end I decided to do this: :sf:

morsdraconis
03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Meh. Sports is not THAT important.

CLW
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Meh. Sports is not THAT important.

LMAO you didn't grow up in :Kentucky: as a :Duke: fan. My Facebook page BLEW up.

Bohica1010
03-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Tied for 3rd and apparently if THE Ohio St wins, I win it all!

SmoothPancakes
03-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Fuck, of all people, I'm trailing behind Rockettman by 4 spots. :fp:

Bohica1010
03-25-2012, 10:51 PM
3rd place and a shot at first when THE Ohio State wins the whole thing!

morsdraconis
03-26-2012, 05:14 AM
If Kansas wins it all, I'm the winner. ;)

JBHuskers
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Two of the Final Four...unfortunately they're on the same side :D

gschwendt
03-26-2012, 09:52 AM
I got the Final Four right... only problem is the leader and I have the same winners from here forward. No way that I can win it.

CLW
03-26-2012, 11:28 AM
3/4 of the Final 4. If :Kentucky: beats :Ohio_State: in the final I think I win the group.

ram29jackson
04-01-2012, 12:01 AM
I got the Final Four right... only problem is the leader and I have the same winners from here forward. No way that I can win it.

well, not a bad showing for Mr. "I havent followed college b ball" , LOL

NatureBoy
04-01-2012, 07:14 AM
I have UK vs UNC in my finals here. I have UK vs Kansas in my OS bracket.

morsdraconis
04-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Damn. Even if Kansas beats Kentucky, I can't win... :(

Gee-unit93 is the winner no matter what happens.

NatureBoy
04-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I finished in 8th place. I'll take it. This is the first year I correctly picked the winner of the NCAA Tourney.

cdj
04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
geeunit93 wins! Please send me a PM and we'll figure out how to get you your prize.