PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Offense

oweb26
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
No one has created a thread for the pistol..........I'm very offended, its like the bastard child of power run and spread which is why I love it.

EA did release some info on this offense which can be found here on this forum at the following link. http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?360-NCAA-Football-11-Pistol-Offense

But lets try to get more into this offense shall we, a couple of articles I found that really summarize this offense without me trying to explain it too much.

http://www.6magazineonline.com/2009/11/in-the-booth-nevadas-pistol-offense/

IN THE BOOTH: NEVADA’S PISTOL OFFENSE
November 25th, 2009 | By boadurichard

The Nevada Pistol offense is a sick super hybrid.

Nowadays because of the zone read, when you’re in a traditional shotgun alignment you will always have a backside defensive end who is taught to never close on that offensive tackle’s down block. So it makes running naked plays at him very difficult, but with the Pistol you don’t have that problem. Especially if you’re giving a good dose of inside and outside zone read schemes. While the pistol offense has been experimented with by dozens of college football teams such as Syracuse, LSU, Syracuse, Oregon, Florida State, Ohio State, Kansas, Missouri, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State only one team runs it to perfection, the Nevada Wolfpack.

What if in our wide open “Star Wars” spread offense based college football diaspora, the spread offense settled down with an older woman lets call her “Cougar” but her maiden name is I-formation and she had a baby? That baby would be smaller than a shotgun given her mother’s short stature and still have some firepower given the father’s tendancy to “shoot ’em up”, therefore the baby would be a pistol.

This “Pistol”, the offspring of the I-formation and the Spread offense continues to live and grow at the University of Nevada. The pistol offense was created by longtime and current head coach of the Nevada Wolf Pack, Chris Ault, and first implemented in 2004. Ault has credited the inspiration for his invention the dominant Tom Osborne led Nebraska teams of the mid 90’s . The versatility of the pistol formation can be utilized in a variety of ways. The reason being is that the quarterback is closer to the line of scrimmage than in a traditional shotgun formation, so he can see more easily over the line and make down field reads. He will also get the ball snapped to him faster, which can alter timing patterns greatly for a preparing defense.

The pistol offense can effectively use draw plays, counters, and options using three wide receiver formations or multiple tight ends combined with a fullback for pass protection. Nevada has even employed the use of empty sets (no running backs) in the pistol formation. In a pistol formation, hand-offs occur 2-3 yards closer than in the shotgun, which can make for a more effective running game, while keeping passing efficient. This formation works well with dual threat quarterbacks who can both throw and run.

The true advantage of the pistol is that it can effectively employ dozens of concepts effectively that individually the spread, spread option, I-formation, pro-style, or single-back attack cannot do alone. Veer, zone run and play actions, naked boots, zone reads are all effective out of the Pistol. Furthermore, with the use of an agile quarterback like Colin Kaepernick the pistol becomes even more dangerous as a true option force, without losing any integrity in the passing game.
The Wolfpack, like most other teams, rely heavily on the inside zone and zone read, but because of the versatility of the Pistol formation Nevada can also employ veer option principles putting even more stress on a defense. Nevada’s version of the veer, a variety now coming into vogue again with spread teams like Florida, requires the line to “block down” to the side the run is going while leaving the playside defensive end entirely unblocked — that is the man the quarterback will “read.”

The reason the veer works so well, including when compared to the zone read, is that with the veer guarantees two things the zone read can’t: Double-team blocks at the point of attack, and the ability to make the man the QB reads wrong, every time. Conversely, the zone read aims at “reading” a backside defensive end. What really makes Nevada different is their emphasis on old school plays in the context of its new school offense. Nevada head coach, Chris Ault, was an I-formation guy for a long time, and you can still see it in his philosophy. He’s more than happy to follow up the zone read, jet sweep or veer with some basic off-tackle runs, which he can do easily because his tailback is in the same place he would be in the I-formation. Another aspect of the pistol that makes the set work is that Ault can dial-up rather traditional quarterback faking for bootlegs and play-action, which spread teams have usually struggled with making convincing. An athletic, versatile guy like Kaepernick can really emphasize the play-action to put the defense in a bind.

The pistol is the best of both worlds for Nevada: Both I-formation and spread, both old and new school. Who knew the that the bastard child of a Cougar would be so effective?
Your In the Booth Guru,
Claude Clayborne

Also this one http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Deconstructing-Nevada-s-Pistol-by-any-other-?urn=ncaaf,176983

Deconstructing: Nevada's 'Pistol,' by any other name, would fire as sweet
By Chris Brown

Xs and Os from the proprietor of the essential Smart Football. Part of the Doc's Mid-Major Week.
Since the dawn of the spread in major college football, we've seen a rise in two related phenomena: New and fairly innovative "spread" schemes (a good thing), and nicknames for those schemes (less so). In the '90s we had Nebraska's "Black Shirts" and the Arizona "Desert Swarm," while now we are treated to slightly less euphonic choices, like Texas Tech's "Airraid," the various "spread 'n shreds" of Rich Rodriguez, and now, the uninspiring "pistol" at Nevada.
But since Nevada coach and pistol brainchild Chris Ault made the switch from his old I-formation attack in 2005, the results have sounded pretty sweet. His team immediately improved by 30 yards and almost five points per game from 2004 (449.3 from 418.8 and 34.2 from 29.7, respectively), and improved its record from 5-7 to 9-3. The Pack have been to four straight bowl games for the first time in school history, and 2008 was the offense's best year yet since Ault returned from retirement in '04: Nevada was fifth in the nation in total offense and twelfth in scoring, and, by most definitions, they did it with incredible balance, as one of only three D-1 teams to both rush and pass for over 3,000 yards. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick was the WAC offensive player of the year with more yards rushing and passing than Tim Tebow.

Pistol offense or pistol formation? Yet, unlike other noms d'offense, it's not entirely clear what the "pistol" is -- is it an entire offensive system, or just a formation? The term, being a play on the ubiquitous term "shotgun," refers in one sense simply to the set Nevada uses. Most shotgun offenses put their quarterback at five yards deep (some six, and Missouri puts theirs as deep as seven or eight) and the running back at five to six yards, aligned next to the quarterback. Nevada, by contrast, puts their quarterback only four yards back while the running back aligns directly behind him, between seven to ten yards deep depending on the play. But "offenses" are not the same as formations; a good offense involves a sensible grouping of plays and formations into a coherent whole. And while the pistol may have been conceived as simply a unique formation, the system Ault and Co. have developed has earned the name "pistol offense" by bringing a unique perspective to both the pistol and the spread.

When the offense is rolling (which it is most of the time these days), the pistol gives a team the best of both worlds: It has at its disposal all the Urban Meyer/Rich Rodriguez spread offense stuff, like the zone read and other gadgets, as well as the advantages of a "traditional" I-formation or pro-style single-back attack. Among these are that the runningback, aligning as he does behind the quarterback, tips no hand to the defense on the direction of the play, and the offense can get both good downhill running and play-action off those looks. Let's take a quick look at some specifics.
Just shoot me. The Wolfpack, like most other teams, rely heavily on the inside zone and zone read plays -- the now-ubiquitous shotgun play that came into vogue at Northwestern under Randy Walker in the late nineties and made Rich Rodriguez a rising star at West Virginia -- but the play that's really made Nevada's offense go the last two years is one Ault added to take advantage of quarterback Colin Kaepernick's running ability: the veer.

That term has traditionally referred to a specific type of triple-option some coaches use, but really is just one part of that concept. Nevada's version of the veer, a variety now coming into vogue again with spread teams like Florida, requires the line to "block down" to the side the run is going while leaving some normally very dangerous defender entirely unblocked -- that is the man the quarterback will "read." The reason the veer works so well, including when compared to the zone read, is that with the veer guarantees two things the zone read can't: Double-team blocks at the point of attack, and the ability to make the man the QB reads wrong, every time. (With the zone read you're just trying to control a backside pursuit defender. If he "stays home" for the quarterback, forcing a handoff, there is no guarantee the line will get double teams to the other side or that the back will find a hole.)

The veer is simple and yet quite deadly. And, from the diagram and video, you can see why the pistol set is so good for the necessary footwork, and why being in the pistol makes the read on the play so easy for the quarterback, as compared with both a shotgun set with a runningback aligned to the side or under center -- watch just how wrong Kaepernick is able to make the unblocked man (No. 94), and why that lets Nevada's other blockers completely cave in the rest of the defense, since they don't have to worry about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCb7jTT3_G8&feature=player_embedded

Old school with a new school twist. That's how Nevada puts its spin on the spread offense stuff, but what really makes Nevada different is its emphasis on old school plays in the context of its new school offense. As I mentioned above, Nevada head coach Chris Ault was an I-formation guy for a long time, and you can still see it in his philosophy. He's more than happy to follow up the zone read, jet sweep or veer with some basic off-tackle runs, which he can do easily because his tailback is in the same place he would be in the I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibRhtUfH2g&feature=player_embedded

And what doubly makes the set work is that Ault can dial-up rather traditional quarterback faking for bootlegs and play-action, which spread teams have usually struggled with making convincing. (There's a reason play-action master Peyton Manning has always done his best faking from under center.) As the clips below show, an athletic, versatile guy like Kaepernick can really emphasize the play-action to put the defense in a bind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tse5iY7OIwc&feature=player_embedded

When the pistol works, it's the best of both worlds for Nevada: Both I-formation and spread, both old and new school. Ultimately, however, there's only so much magic in simply putting your running back behind your quarterback -- that's not exactly a novel proposition. What has made Nevada dynamic offense go has been Ault and his staff's ability to teach these schemes and to adjust week-to-week. Without getting all Bill Callahan in a restricted space, Nevada actually has one of the most diverse playbooks in terms of the number of different blocking schemes; it's something they have developed to stay ahead of the game.

The larger question, though, is why no one else runs it except as an occasional novelty -- can this stuff work outside of the WAC? I would say so -- but not because the "pistol" is magical. Only because an offensive mind like Ault could coach it.

I hope the game can capture some of this and make the pistol effective.

JBHuskers
07-09-2010, 09:11 AM
The entire generic pistol playbook video run through will be up right at 11 central today too :)

THE Travis
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I like how EA's blog about the Pistol offense really highlighted the importance of the read option... Then you went through the generic pistol playbook, and there wasn't a single read option in the whole thing. Typical.

FWIW, the generic pistol offense looks to be a copy of last years Nevada playbook. Hopefully the team specific playbooks will be a little better.

gschwendt
07-09-2010, 02:05 PM
I like how EA's blog about the Pistol offense really highlighted the importance of the read option... Then you went through the generic pistol playbook, and there wasn't a single read option in the whole thing. Typical.

FWIW, the generic pistol offense looks to be a copy of last years Nevada playbook. Hopefully the team specific playbooks will be a little better.
Not sure why they didn't include it in the generic playbook, but the team specific playbooks for Nevada and Ohio certainly have a solid amount of read option as well as a few triple options with a sweeping slot WR.

JBHuskers
07-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure why they didn't include it in the generic playbook, but the team specific playbooks for Nevada and Ohio certainly have a solid amount of read option as well as a few triple options with a sweeping slot WR.

Yeah for my TeamBuilder team, I think I'm going to switch from generic to Nevada. I'm already using Nevada's roster...so why not.

THE Travis
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
That is good to hear. In those team playbooks are there any Inside zone type plays (might be called "blast," anything that attacks B-gap). Stretch plays? Toss plays? Jet Sweeps? The pistol was lacking quite a bit conceptually in the running game in 10, so I was a bit disappointed to see the generic pistol playbook was largely the same 11.

gschwendt
07-09-2010, 02:27 PM
That is good to hear. In those team playbooks are there any Inside zone type plays (might be called "blast," anything that attacks B-gap). Stretch plays? Toss plays? Jet Sweeps? The pistol was lacking quite a bit conceptually in the running game in 10, so I was a bit disappointed to see the generic pistol playbook was largely the same 11.
Yeah... the run game in the Pistol is much more diverse this year. I'll try to look for specifics, maybe even a run through of the Nevada playbook but you can definitely do much more this year. I know for sure that stretch plays are in and I believe there are some inside zone running but can't be certain. I don't believe I saw any tosses and I can't remember for sure on Jet Sweeps other than the motion for the triple-option. I'll try to give better answers at some point over the weekend.

JBHuskers
07-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Jet sweeps work pretty well this year too, in the same mention of the draw play.

THE Travis
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Good to hear about the stretches. That was rough without them last year. Hopefully they kept all the counters in as well, because those worked well as defacto Power-O if flipped.

gschwendt
07-10-2010, 10:17 AM
I just posted videos from an online game of cdj vs myself using Fresno State vs Nevada on the homepage. It gives you a really good look at the Nevada playbook if you're patient enough to watch the entire thing.

oweb26
07-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Patience is a virtue..:)

I will also probably be posting vids for this offense once the game comes out my normal source didn't get it earlier this year so I have to wait until Monday around noon when he gets his shipment.

I will probably be discussing strategies for running this offense from a pure VIDEO GAME standpoint , i.e what are the best personnel to recruit, etc. If anyone is interested.

razorback44
07-10-2010, 01:44 PM
I just posted videos from an online game of cdj vs myself using Fresno State vs Nevada on the homepage. It gives you a really good look at the Nevada playbook if you're patient enough to watch the entire thing.

Thanks for the hookup!