PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl XLVI Discussion - NY Giants vs. NE Patriots

JBHuskers
01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
http://images.footballfanatics.com/FFImage/thumb.aspx?i=%2FproductImages%2F_800000%2Fff_80067 9_xl.jpg&w=400

Use this thread to discuss the Super Bowl.

DO NOT post rumored or leaked commercials ahead of time though unless with a spoiler tag. I don't really care to see them until they air.

TGT Member Predictions

Winning Team
Score

JBHuskers
Patriots
38-17

Mors
Patriots
28-17

psusnoop
Patriots
31-17

Naitch
Giants
31-24

steelerfan
01-23-2012, 03:46 PM
The fact that a sports fan would start a thread like this is :fp:

The dumbass commercials are for women and morons who only show up for "the party".

I'm pretty sure I ripped on this thread last year too. :nod:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

psuexv
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
The fact that a sports fan would start a thread like this is :fp:

The dumbass commercials are for women and morons who only show up for "the party".

I'm pretty sure I ripped on this thread last year too. :nod:

:+1: He records the Super Bowl and fasts forwards the game to get to the commercials. Right after he watches Big Brother 23.

steelerfan
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Right after he watches Big Brother 23.

:D:D:D:D:D

JBHuskers
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I put game/commercial discussion morons. :fp: learn to read.

SmoothPancakes
01-23-2012, 04:52 PM

That's what the Anything Thread is for.

psuexv
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Well by all means, proceed then

JBHuskers
01-23-2012, 07:04 PM
There I changed the title...happy? :D even though I'm sure Eric will be the first one to comment in here about the commercials.

Anyways, I think the Evil Genius is stewing at the Tyree "catch" and losing out on a perfect year. I think he's going to cook up an ass whooping of the G-Men.

Right now I say 38-17 Pats.

ram29jackson
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
There I changed the title...happy? :D even though I'm sure Eric will be the first one to comment in here about the commercials.

Anyways, I think the Evil Genius is stewing at the Tyree "catch" and losing out on a perfect year. I think he's going to cook up an ass whooping of the G-Men.

Right now I say 38-17 Pats.

its of course possible...but he doesnt have the personnel for it. This team may well be like an early Broncos team with Elway. Brady got them here but they dont the right personnel to finish the job.

JBHuskers
01-23-2012, 10:46 PM
With two weeks til the game, we usually have the smallest update on the most ridiculous thing. I think for this Super Bowl Waiting Period it's going to be Gronk's ankle.

morsdraconis
01-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Just to copy my post from the NFL thread:

Without explanation, Pats win the Super Bowl.

JBHuskers
01-23-2012, 11:26 PM
If you guys want to make score predictions, I can make a table on the first post and see how gets the closest.

JBHuskers
01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
In the regular season, both passing defenses were in the bottom five of the league. The Giants have somewhat woken up and have only given up 200 yards per game in the postseason and 4 TD's. They faced a shaky Falcons team, a distracted Packers team, and a horrible offense in the Niners. The Pats have two weeks to get ready. They have two weeks to see what all of a sudden has been working for the Giants. And the Evil Genius and Tom Brady sure don't want to be second fiddle to Eli again. All this leads to me picking this to end up a 3-score game.

morsdraconis
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Pats - 28
Gints - 17

steelerfan
01-24-2012, 11:01 AM
In the regular season, both passing defenses were in the bottom five of the league. The Giants have somewhat woken up and have only given up 200 yards per game in the postseason and 4 TD's. They faced a shaky Falcons team, a distracted Packers team, and a horrible offense in the Niners. The Pats have two weeks to get ready. They have two weeks to see what all of a sudden has been working for the Giants. And the Evil Genius and Tom Brady sure don't want to be second fiddle to Eli again. All this leads to me picking this to end up a 3-score game.

You're not giving the Giants enough credit. The Falcons aren't all that, I agree. However, they blasted a 15-1 Green Bay team and the best you can come up with is "distracted"? C'mon, Man!

JBHuskers
01-24-2012, 11:09 AM
You're not giving the Giants enough credit. The Falcons aren't all that, I agree. However, they blasted a 15-1 Green Bay team and the best you can come up with is "distracted"? C'mon, Man!

In a league that is very schedule centric, when you throw that off, on top of having a bye. It was not a surprise that they struggled on offense after the death of Philbin's son.

morsdraconis
01-24-2012, 11:21 AM
There's something you have to realize about the NFL. The smallest things seem to motivate these guys to elevate themselves to higher than their normal playing ability. Just look at what Brady did to Denver (admittedly, a pretty damn good defense) with all the talk about Tebow. You can't tell me that everyone talking about how the Pats are gonna lose because of defense and how Eli has elevated himself to one of the best in the league (which I think is bullshit, mind you - you aren't one of the best in the league when, the previous year, you threw 25 INTs and barely complete 61% of your passes - that is absolutely NOT one of the best in the league) isn't going to make Brady and company annihilate the Giants.

steelerfan
01-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Everyone said the Colts would lose throughout the year and they did. I did see them get motivated to beat anyone.

Last week, you were positive it was going to be the Niners and Ravens.

I'm just saying, give the Giants some credit.

Oh, and it's funny that you're picking the Patriots after going off about how "shitty" the AFC is and how the AFC Championship wouldn't matter because the winner would just be fodder for the powerful NFC. :D

steelerfan
01-24-2012, 11:47 AM
In a league that is very schedule centric, when you throw that off, on top of having a bye. It was not a surprise that they struggled on offense after the death of Philbin's son.

Meh. That's an overrated excuse. If they had won, it would have been because they were motivated to win for Philbin. Whatever.

If my co-worker's kid dies, it's no excuse for me to under-perform for the week.

JBHuskers
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Okay table of picks created on the first post.

ram29jackson
01-24-2012, 05:26 PM

the Giants recovered from injuries as the season progressed, they are pretty much taking the same route the Pack did last year. Everyone is healthy now and they started to gell.

The Giants already beat evil genius earlier in the season.
as good as the QB and coach have been together, the Pats are the weaker one dimensional team going into this game/match up......the Pats lost 3 games this year,its not like they cant be beat LOL

why isnt Coughlin an evil Genius? he's beaten two teams in the playofs/Super Bowl who beat his team in the regular season.

psusnoop
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Without going into a huge discussion, Pats -31
Giants- 17

ram29jackson
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
fascinating....people seem to think the Pats will come out like gangbusters in this.....?

psuexv
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM
fascinating....people seem to think the Pats will come out like gangbusters in this.....?

Yeah apparently we don't know anything about football :)

JBHuskers
01-24-2012, 06:45 PM
the Giants recovered from injuries as the season progressed, they are pretty much taking the same route the Pack did last year. Everyone is healthy now and they started to gell.

The Giants already beat evil genius earlier in the season.
as good as the QB and coach have been together, the Pats are the weaker one dimensional team going into this game/match up......the Pats lost 3 games this year,its not like they cant be beat LOL

why isnt Coughlin an evil Genius? he's beaten two teams in the playofs/Super Bowl who beat his team in the regular season.

Playing the Patriots the second time around in 2012:

Jets - L 37-16
Miami - L 27-24
Buffalo - L 49-21
Denver - L 45-10

That's 158-71.

Week 9 was a LOOOOONG time ago.

You talk that the Patriots are one dimensional? In the playoffs, they're basically equal with the Giants defense. New England did have the worst pass D in the league this year, but in the playoffs, they're giving up less than 200 yards per game.

steelerfan
01-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Ram, same path as the Pack because they are getting healthy? The Packers had 15 players on IR last year, they were never healthy.

JB, sorry bro, that list of 2nd time opponents doesn't include a team with a winning record.

morsdraconis
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
JB, sorry bro, that list of 2nd time opponents doesn't include a team with a winning record.

Kinda hard to do when the Pats only played two teams the entire season with a winning record...

ram29jackson
01-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Playing the Patriots the second time around in 2012:

Jets - L 37-16
Miami - L 27-24
Buffalo - L 49-21
Denver - L 45-10

That's 158-71.

Week 9 was a LOOOOONG time ago.

You talk that the Patriots are one dimensional? In the playoffs, they're basically equal with the Giants defense. New England did have the worst pass D in the league this year, but in the playoffs, they're giving up less than 200 yards per game.

dude, I'm talking about playing Coughlin in a major game after he barely loses the first game. He did it to the Pats in the SB year and he did it to the Pack this year. Coughlin seems to have Belichicks number in this one. And he adjusts very well after losses.

ram29jackson
01-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Ram, same path as the Pack because they are getting healthy? The Packers had 15 players on IR last year, they were never healthy.

my understanding is, key players were injured at beginning of season and came back later.
If its a bad/wrong example i dont really give a damn LOL. They beat your Steelers and thats all i care about LOL j/k.

regardless how it gets analyzed, i dont see how the Pats can be perceived as a favorite in this game no matter how you try to bend it. And 3 guys saying that they think the Pats Defense can hold Eli to 17 points seems ridiculous to me at the moment.

SmoothPancakes
01-24-2012, 08:41 PM
dude, I'm talking about playing Coughlin in a major game after he barely loses the first game. He did it to the Pats in the SB year and he did it to the Pack this year. Coughlin seems to have Belichicks number in this one. And he adjusts very well after losses.

First, the first Super Bowl doesn't matter. That was 2007-08. This is 2012. Only 7 current Patriots and 15 current Giants were even on the teams in that Super Bowl. So that game has absolutely no matter or effect on this game.

Second, Tom Brady is going to be fired up for this one, just like he was for their game against Denver. All week long, it was Tebow this, Tebow that, Brady and the Patriots were an afterthought, and Brady came out and manraped the Broncos. Now it's Eli this, Giants that, rematch from previous Super Bowl (that Giants won, ruining Patriots perfect season) that, so Tom Brady and the Pats will again have plenty to use to get them fired up and ready to come out and bitchslap the Giants.

Congrats, Coughlin has beaten teams a couple times when playing those same teams a second time in that season, so has almost every other head coach in the NFL.

JBHuskers
01-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Well....

A) The Giants were barely a .500 team in the regular season.

B) Beating those teams by more tgan double proves more of a point than you think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ram29jackson
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
First, the first Super Bowl doesn't matter. That was 2007-08. This is 2012. Only 7 current Patriots and 15 current Giants were even on the teams in that Super Bowl. So that game has absolutely no matter or effect on this game.

Second, Tom Brady is going to be fired up for this one, just like he was for their game against Denver. All week long, it was Tebow this, Tebow that, Brady and the Patriots were an afterthought, and Brady came out and manraped the Broncos. Now it's Eli this, Giants that, rematch from previous Super Bowl (that Giants won, ruining Patriots perfect season) that, so Tom Brady and the Pats will again have plenty to use to get them fired up and ready to come out and bitchslap the Giants.

Congrats, Coughlin has beaten teams a couple times when playing those same teams a second time in that season, so has almost every other head coach in the NFL.

15 to 7 another advantage for the Giants LOL

every player is fired up for this, so what else is new?

do you really think using the Broncos as an example is worth anything ? LOL

steelerfan
01-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Beating those teams by more tgan double proves more of a point than you think. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

No.

Also, I like how you say that the Giants win over New England in week 9 means nothing because it was "soooooooo long ago", yet you purport that New England's week 10 win over the Jets is meaningful.

steelerfan
01-25-2012, 12:47 AM
Kinda hard to do when the Pats only played two teams the entire season with a winning record...

During the regular season, yes.

And they lost to both of them.

JBHuskers
01-25-2012, 08:39 AM
No.

Also, I like how you say that the Giants win over New England in week 9 means nothing because it was "soooooooo long ago", yet you purport that New England's week 10 win over the Jets is meaningful.

I just said look at the results the 2nd time around. I don't think I ever typed the word meaningful anywhere.

steelerfan
01-25-2012, 03:09 PM
I just said look at the results the 2nd time around. I don't think I ever typed the word meaningful anywhere.

:bp:

;)

ram29jackson
01-26-2012, 03:23 AM
the previous meeting is for sure meaningful to both teams. Being in the same season does have some significance.

in an interview with Peyton, they asked about him possibly helping his brother against the Pats D or brady or what ever. He said,they already played each other and Eli knows what he prepared for etc.. But he added they talked some about it. Point being; a same season match up must surely matter to these teams.

every player must get someone at this time to take care of all the extra tickets crap details so they can focus on the game.
Its kind of funny and cool that Peyton is taking care of all of Eli's details for him. No pride,no jealousy..just, he's my brother and i'm taking care of business for him.

ram29jackson
01-26-2012, 03:31 AM
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/97/manningbrady.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/441/manningbrady.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

steelerfan
01-26-2012, 07:29 AM
:D:D:D

morsdraconis
01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
:D :D :D

Poor Peyton. Just come to Washington. The Shanahans will make the pain go away. ;)

ram29jackson
01-26-2012, 01:48 PM
damn,..didnt expect that reaction from Steelerfan LOL

I kind of like the Jets rumor.....Dallas....LOL
naw,no way he plays in brothers same division. I think he would try to manipulate staying in AFC
Ravens...?...Texans.....

steelerfan
01-26-2012, 02:03 PM
damn,..didnt expect that reaction from Steelerfan LOL

I kind of like the Jets rumor.....Dallas....LOL
naw,no way he plays in brothers same division. I think he would try to manipulate staying in AFC
Ravens...?...Texans.....

How about Tennessee? He has ties there, could play the Colts, they have a decent team, and they don't have a quarterback to build around so it would be less far-fetched than asking the Jets, Ravens, or Texans to set their quarterbacks aside.

Just a thought.

psuexv
01-27-2012, 09:31 AM

Poor Peyton. Just come to Washington. The Shanahans will make the pain go away. ;)

Don't you mean the Snyders $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

psuexv
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
How about Tennessee? He has ties there, could play the Colts, they have a decent team, and they don't have a quarterback to build around so it would be less far-fetched than asking the Jets, Ravens, or Texans to set their quarterbacks aside.

Just a thought.

True, great running game, good wide receiver. No way the Ravens or Texans have Flacco or Schaub sit. Definitely not Schaub.

morsdraconis
01-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Don't you mean the Snyders $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Eh, money is meaningless if it means getting a 100% fully effective Peyton Manning, even if just for a few years.

psuexv
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Eh, money is meaningless if it means getting a 100% fully effective Peyton Manning, even if just for a few years.

I meant the Snyders will make the pain go away with $$

psuexv
01-30-2012, 10:15 AM
even though I'm sure Eric will be the first one to comment in here about the commercials.

:D

Gotta say the Ferris Bueller commercial sucked

ram29jackson
01-30-2012, 02:40 PM
meh not too bad actually..they could have added a couple of the actors along with him..and Sigue Sigue Sputnik in the background music towards the end !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kaG95ZIjHQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kaG95ZIjHQ

JBHuskers
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
From Darren Rovell:

STAT OF THE DAY (corrected): 80% of those betting the maximum of $25,000 with http://Betonline.com are taking the Giants (+2.5).

ram29jackson
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
From Darren Rovell:

STAT OF THE DAY (corrected): 80% of those betting the maximum of $25,000 with http://Betonline.com are taking the Giants (+2.5).

color me not surprised

NatureBoy
01-30-2012, 07:54 PM
I hate both teams with a passion. I hate the Pats even more so I will say 31-24 Giants. I will be the one guy in the world who will be looking forward to all of the Super Bowl ads over the actual game.

steelerfan
01-30-2012, 09:06 PM
I will be the one guy in the world who will be looking forward to all of the Super Bowl ads over the actual game.

No.

JB is another. Unless, of course, you meant "straight guy". Then, you may be the only one.

JBHuskers
01-30-2012, 11:13 PM
No.

JB is another. Unless, of course, you meant "straight guy". Then, you may be the only one.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

NatureBoy
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
No.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk :D Don't get me wrong, I love football as much or more than the next guy but I don't give two shits about watching the New York Football Giants vs New England Bradys. AGAIN!

JBHuskers
01-31-2012, 12:14 AM
Here are the predictions so far:

TGT Member Predictions

Winning Team
Score

JBHuskers
Patriots
38-17

Mors
Patriots
28-17

psusnoop
Patriots
31-17

Naitch
Giants
31-24

SmoothPancakes
01-31-2012, 01:45 AM
:D Don't get me wrong, I love football as much or more than the next guy but I don't give two shits about watching the New York Football Giants vs New England Bradys. AGAIN!

Eh, don't worry Natch, I'm not even watching the Super Bowl. My hate for New York Giants and the New England Bradys, along with the whole rematch crap, is too strong. I'm gonna be spending my night watching the Alaska State Troopers marathon on National Geographic Channel instead. Either that, or find something on Netflix to watch on my 360.

ram29jackson
01-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Eh, don't worry Natch, I'm not even watching the Super Bowl. My hate for New York Giants and the New England Bradys, along with the whole rematch crap, is too strong. I'm gonna be spending my night watching the Alaska State Troopers marathon on National Geographic Channel instead. Either that, or find something on Netflix to watch on my 360.

dude, what is wrong with you? its sports,its entertainment...are you serious?
you wont go to a friends house to watch the game? its another holiday event/excuse
to get together with friends and appreciate athletic endeavor!!!!

sports isnt a gang war.....its spectator entertainment LOL

SmoothPancakes
01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
dude, what is wrong with you? its sports,its entertainment...are you serious?
you wont go to a friends house to watch the game? its another holiday event/excuse
to get together with friends and appreciate athletic endeavor!!!!

sports isnt a gang war.....its spectator entertainment LOL

Hmm, lets see here. I fucking hate the New England Patriots and Tom Brady. I don't give one shit about the New York Giants, and the Eli Manning annoys the fuck out of me. And there's the whole rematch shit that has been whored out by ESPN for the last week and a half and will be further whored out during the actual game by the announce team.

So, from my angle, it's either A: Waste 3 hours of my life watching the Super Bowl, being played between a team I hate led by a quarterback I hate and a team I don't give a shit about, led by a quarterback that annoys the fuck out me, just because it's a Super Bowl and heaven forbid someone not watch it, or B: Watch TV shows or movies that I know for a fact I will enjoy and will be worth spending the time to watch them, thus resulting in me having a more enjoyable and relaxing Sunday evening.

Yeah, B easily wins for me.

ram29jackson
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
as a kid, I didnt like the Cowboys or the Steelers. But i didnt like the Cowboys more always getting in the Rams way in the post season. So when they played each other in the SB , I rooted for the Steelers. But I can appreciate teams for being successful in their histories. Always rooted against the Celtics but cant deny that Larry Bird was pure perfection as a player in his time.

of course they are promoting the rematch. 2 great vteran QBs and a great game the last time around. What else would you expect ? LOL

SmoothPancakes
02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
as a kid, I didnt like the Cowboys or the Steelers. But i didnt like the Cowboys more always getting in the Rams way in the post season. So when they played each other in the SB , I rooted for the Steelers. But I can appreciate teams for being successful in their histories. Always rooted against the Celtics but cant deny that Larry Bird was pure perfection as a player in his time.

of course they are promoting the rematch. 2 great vteran QBs and a great game the last time around. What else would you expect ? LOL

I know, of course they're promoting the rematch. It's ESPN. They'd whore out their own children if it gave them more ratings.

But like I said, for me, I couldn't care less about either of the two teams in the Super Bowl, and thus by default, I couldn't care less about this year's Super Bowl. It does not capture my interest in the least, so to me, I don't have any interest in even watching it. I already skipped the BCS championship game, so skipping the Super Bowl to me is not a big deal.

JBHuskers
02-01-2012, 08:20 AM
Interesting stat: Patriots start 8 undrafted free agents.

JBHuskers
02-01-2012, 03:40 PM
From Darren Rovell:

Lots around Lucas Oil Stadium charging $10 to $20 for parking today. Super Bowl Sunday? As much as $600 a car.

ram29jackson
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
thats just dumb........

psusnoop
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
From Darren Rovell:

Lots around Lucas Oil Stadium charging $10 to $20 for parking today. Super Bowl Sunday? As much as $600 a car.

Ouch, that will sting the ole wallet a bit

steelerfan
02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
thats just capitalism........

Fixed.

ram29jackson
02-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Fixed.

LOL another one of those dumb internet inside joke/terms.

$600 dollars for parking is pure greed, not capatalism. $100 would be enough

ram29jackson
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Madonna on the the NFL network earlier.......

steelerfan
02-02-2012, 03:25 PM
LOL another one of those dumb internet inside joke/terms.

$600 dollars for parking is pure greed, not capatalism. $100 would be enough

Ok, let's try again.

It's called Supply and Demand.

JBHuskers
02-02-2012, 03:26 PM
We have the pavement, you have the cash.

psuexv
02-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Ok, let's try again.

It's called Supply and Demand.

We have the pavement, you have the cash.

yep, same reason you pay $12 for a beer at a game or $8 for a bottle of water at Disney.

psuexv
02-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Maybe one of my favorite Super Bowl commercials of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Nmgice3ieZ4

ram29jackson
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
yep, same reason you pay $12 for a beer at a game or $8 for a bottle of water at Disney.

same reason? no, thats only if youre dumb enough to do that LOL

psuexv
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
same reason? no, thats only if youre dumb enough to do that LOL

The people have a choice to pay to park as well. They don't have to. It's in a city, walk or take public transportation.

NatureBoy
02-04-2012, 08:10 AM
yep, same reason you pay $12 for a beer at a game or $8 for a bottle of water at Disney. Tell me about it. I went to a minor league baseball game last year and a hot dog was six bucks.

ram29jackson
02-04-2012, 08:15 PM
...no more minor league baseball talk ! this is about Super Bowl Sundayyyyyyyyy

ram29jackson
02-04-2012, 08:16 PM
just picked up the official Super Bowl cake today !!! LOL

steelerfan
02-04-2012, 08:31 PM
...no more minor league baseball talk ! this is about Super Bowl Sundayyyyyyyyy

Actually, this is about the Super Bowl. Not cake.

ram29jackson
02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Actually, this is about the Super Bowl. Not cake.

:D its a 30 year tradition,you damn well better believe its relevant !!:D

and tasty too :P

JeffHCross
02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
@MarkHerzlich
2 yrs ago I was told I'd never walk again, Just WALKED off plane to #Indy to play in #SuperBowl #TakeThatCancer

Nuff said.

morsdraconis
02-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Nuff said.

That is fuckin' amazing Jeff. Never knew his story. Incredibly fuckin' awesome.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 05:33 AM
:D its a 30 year tradition,you damn well better believe its relevant !!:D

and tasty too :P

Then so is minor league baseball talk. Either both are relevant, or neither are, take your pick.

NatureBoy
02-05-2012, 07:10 AM
...no more minor league baseball talk ! this is about Super Bowl Sundayyyyyyyyy Kiss my ass! Nobody cares about your shitty tasting cake. Take it to cake talk, this thread is about the Super Bowl.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 07:11 AM
Kiss my ass! Nobody cares about your shitty tasting cake. Take it to cake talk, this thread is about the Super Bowl.

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
That is fuckin' amazing Jeff. Never knew his story. Incredibly fuckin' awesome.I have no dog in the hunt tonight, but I'm leaning toward the Giants, just a tad, because of Herzlich.

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Kiss my ass! Nobody cares about your shitty tasting cake. Take it to cake talk, this thread is about the Super Bowl.

:nod:

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 02:32 PM

yep, they all say that until they have a piece !! :P

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Then so is minor league baseball talk. Either both are relevant, or neither are, take your pick.

dude, you arent even a sports fan,because you are looking for excuses to not watch the Super Bowl :P

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 02:35 PM

:P You think pro Wrestling is relevant,nuff said:P

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
dude, you arent even a sports fan,because you are looking for excuses to not watch the Super Bowl :PRam, you make no sense. None at all.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Ram, you make no sense. None at all.

I have to agree with this statement.

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Ram, you make no sense. None at all.

where does that not make sense? you can have favorite teams,but if youre butt hurt about your favorite team not making it thats one sided and myopic. players and coaches change teams every year so hating a team is pretty pointless.

Like those 2 San Fran fans who messed up a tv because their team lost. If thats being a real/hardcore fan...? that just means youre a dumb ass.

you want sports to matter? make it the equivalent of Jury duty :nod: :D

that would be good tv!!!!!

I cant make it work next week, I'm playing in Detroit :D

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 03:15 PM

nope, my cake represents football :D minor league baseball doesnt represent football

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
dude, you arent even a sports fan,because you are looking for excuses to not watch the Super Bowl :P

First to say that I'm "not even a sports fan" because I'm not watching the Super Bowl is laughable, as well as ignorant, considering there are billions of sports fans elsewhere in the world, and millions right here in the US, who are not going to be watching the Super Bowl either.

Second, I don't need to look for excuses, I have my reasons. I'm not watching because I hate the Patriots, I hate Tom Brady, I have no care whatsoever for the Giants, and I'm as sick and tired of hearing about Eli Manning as I am about Tom Brady. All of that is enough to make my interest, even in simply watching the Super Bowl for the commercials, drop to absolutely 0.

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Kiss my ass!

yep, they all say that until they have a piece !! :P

A piece of his ass? :sick: WTF???

cdj
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I told myself I wouldn't watch any pre-game, but there is virtually nothing on TV so I flipped to NBC just in time to see Nick Cannon interviewing Chris Evans and a throwaway clip of The Avengers and then a '30 Rock' Super Bowl skit. Click.

Miami-Duke college hoops gets my viewership.

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
where does that not make sense? you can have favorite teams,but if youre butt hurt about your favorite team not making it thats one sided and myopic. players and coaches change teams every year so hating a team is pretty pointless.

Like those 2 San Fran fans who messed up a tv because their team lost. If thats being a real/hardcore fan...? that just means youre a dumb ass.

you want sports to matter? make it the equivalent of Jury duty :nod: :D

that would be good tv!!!!!

I cant make it work next week, I'm playing in Detroit :D

:fp: How does me hating New England make me butthurt, one sided and myopic? I've hated New England for years now, since the mid-2000s. Just because they beat Denver in the playoffs means nothing. Denver clearly never deserved to win that game and the final score proved it. I was over that game and over the loss the next day. And just because coaches and players change teams doesn't make it pointless to hate teams. Does that mean the Yankees and Red Sox fans shouldn't hate each other because the coaches and players change? The Broncos and Raiders fans? The Cowboys vs. every other NFC East team fans? I hate the Patriots as a team. Sure, I hate their coach and some individual players, but I also hate the team as a whole.

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
A piece of his ass? :sick: WTF???

:D nooooooooooooooo....thats just so wrong :D

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Giants 30, Patriots 24.

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 03:29 PM
:fp: How does me hating New England make me butthurt, one sided and myopic? I've hated New England for years now, since the mid-2000s. Just because they beat Denver in the playoffs means nothing. Denver clearly never deserved to win that game and the final score proved it. I was over that game and over the loss the next day. And just because coaches and players change teams doesn't make it pointless to hate teams. Does that mean the Yankees and Red Sox fans shouldn't hate each other because the coaches and players change? The Broncos and Raiders fans? The Cowboys vs. every other NFC East team fans? I hate the Patriots as a team. Sure, I hate their coach and some individual players, but I also hate the team as a whole.

I dislike the Patriots as well, so I want to watch them lose. But as a sports fan I still somewhat respect the success theyve had...grudgingly :D

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I dislike the Patriots as well, so I want to watch them lose. But as a sports fan I still somewhat respect the success theyve had...grudgingly :D

That's the thing, like the Yankees in baseball, the Lakers in basketball, etc, I respect the Patriots for what they've done. They've had a hell of a last decade or so. But I still hate them nonetheless. :D And unfortunately, I either hate or have no care for either team, I don't want either team to win and would love to see both teams lose.

Since that result is impossible, I'm going to be disappointed no matter what the outcome, so by not watching the Super Bowl, I'm saving myself that disappointment of spending 3+ hours watching it be played between two teams that I don't want to see either win, only to be disappointed in the end anyways, and am instead spending it either, watching shows that will hold my interest, or possibly playing my FIU dynasty in NCAA 12 if I decide to play my next game against Western Kentucky in a little bit.

For me, it's just a personal thing with both teams that is making me have no desire to watch the Super Bowl at all. Whether it's going to be a blow out or a close, great game or not, I have no care for the teams playing and no care for whoever wins because I don't want either team to win. I already skipped the BCS championship game because of the whole Alabama-LSU rematch, so skipping the Super Bowl isn't as big of a deal to me this year as it probably would have otherwise been.

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Giants 30, Patriots 24.

who knows how it may play out?

for the heck of it.. I'll say Giants 27-17

but, I think this could be another one sided Super Bowl and the Giants could well take over the game.

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Not worth belaboring the point.

JBHuskers
02-05-2012, 04:56 PM

TGT Member Predictions

Winning Team
Score

JBHuskers
Patriots
38-17

Mors
Patriots
28-17

psusnoop
Patriots
31-17

Naitch
Giants
31-24

:sf:
Giants
30-24

ram29jackson
Giants
27-17

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Someone who will be watching, let me know what the coin toss ends up being. I want to know whether or not I'll be eating some free Papa John's for lunch this week.

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Someone who will be watching, let me know what the coin toss ends up being. I want to know whether or not I'll be eating some free Papa John's for lunch this week.Heads

gschwendt
02-05-2012, 05:29 PM
FREE PIZZA!!!!!

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes!!! Free large pizza and 2 liter of Pepsi Max coming up for lunch tomorrow, courtesy of Mr. Papa John.

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 05:44 PM
So, JB, what were the odds of "intentional grounding penalty resulting in a safety" for "first score of the game"?

SmoothPancakes
02-05-2012, 07:19 PM
So I had the very unfortunate luck of hearing that god awful halftime show on the TV in the other room. So my question is this, a bigger and more pathetic joke...this year's Pro Bowl, or that halftime show?

cdj
02-05-2012, 07:22 PM
So, JB, what were the odds of "intentional grounding penalty resulting in a safety" for "first score of the game"?

JB probably knows exactly, but I've seen 50 or 60 to 1.

So I had the very unfortunate luck of hearing that god awful halftime show on the TV in the other room. So my question is this, a bigger and more pathetic joke...this year's Pro Bowl, or that halftime show?

It was OK minus the lip-synching and her "new" song. That was terrible and some performer (MIA? no clue who she is) flipped off the camera during the song. Oops.

The wire dancer was pretty awesome though. Easily the best part of halftime.

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Good game, not one of the all-time great Super Bowls, but a very good one nonetheless.

Good to see Beiber and Belicheat get beat.

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Congrats to Kate and Rooney Mara. (Side note: Twitter appears to be aware that Rooney Mara is related to the owner of the Giants, but not Kate. Weird.)

You know, for all the talk that there's been over Madden/NCAA not doing a good job of setting their championship game broadcast apart ...... this didn't feel like a Super Bowl to me. I don't know what it was, but this didn't feel very different. Maybe it was the strange, almost anti-climatic ending.

gschwendt
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
So is it Tuck or d-line collectively for the mvp? Manning or Manningham get it probably but no chance without that pressure.

gschwendt
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Random photographer and guy from letterman shouldn't be allowed to touch the trophy there imo.

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Random photographer and guy from letterman shouldn't be allowed to touch the trophy there imo.

And the classless Cornholer, Prince Amukamara, shouldn't be allowed to touch Raymond Berry's hair.

JBHuskers
02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
And the classless Cornholer, Prince Amukamara, shouldn't be allowed to touch Raymond Berry's hair.

JBHuskers
02-05-2012, 09:17 PM
JB probably knows exactly, but I've seen 50 or 60 to 1.

Yep 50-1.

It was OK minus the lip-synching and her "new" song. That was terrible and some performer (MIA? no clue who she is) flipped off the camera during the song. Oops.

The wire dancer was pretty awesome though. Easily the best part of halftime.

She's best known for this song (from Slumdog Millionaire I think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__HQGvSqZ5I

NatureBoy
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
I have to say, I hated the match up but it was a pretty good game. It was worth watching just to see pretty boy Brady and the Pats lose the big one again. :D:up:

NatureBoy
02-05-2012, 09:28 PM
http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2012/02/bigpic_3ddf784eee499e16030269220898eb84.jpg

Somebody In Robert Kraft’s Box Is Knuckle-Deep Nose-Spelunking [UPDATE: It's Probably Rush Limbaugh]

Ignore the undead apparition that is Steven Tyler for a moment and check out the dude in the corner. Pick a winner!

Update (7:32 p.m.): We believe it's Rush Limbaugh, whose wedding Kraft attended and who is a friend of the Kraft family.

:D http://deadspin.com/5882485/somebody-in-robert-krafts-box-is-knuckle+deep-nose+spelunking

cdj
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM

Ha! I saw Prince air-kiss the trophy, but didn't realize he was the one who touched Berry's hair.

She's best known for this song (from Slumdog Millionaire I think)

I have heard that song. Catchy beat, singing leaves a little to be desired, however.

cdj
02-05-2012, 09:54 PM

I noticed Biff kiss the trophy....funny at the time, but I agree - the NFL shouldn't allow any non-player to even get close to the trophy line there.

Similarly, it bothers me in championship games/series when they have players holding or with the championship trophy for montages, etc. The NBA is famous for it, but I don't think any players should touch it until they win it.

IMO there's a certain aura or stigma that unless you win it, you don't touch it (as a competing player). Fans at Wal-Mart for photo ops, that's OK.

cdj
02-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Congrats to Kate and Rooney Mara. (Side note: Twitter appears to be aware that Rooney Mara is related to the owner of the Giants, but not Kate. Weird.)

You know, for all the talk that there's been over Madden/NCAA not doing a good job of setting their championship game broadcast apart ...... this didn't feel like a Super Bowl to me. I don't know what it was, but this didn't feel very different. Maybe it was the strange, almost anti-climatic ending.

- I think Kate is the better looking one, but I suppose Rooney gets the press for recently being in GWTDT and her change for that film.

- I agree with you. It was a great game, but presentation-wise, it didn't have a special feeling to me either. I'm not sure it helps that the celebration is so scripted by the NFL. No spontaneity, just the same formula as last year, the year before, etc.

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 11:18 PM

TGT Member Predictions

Winning Team
Score

JBHuskers
Patriots
38-17

Mors
Patriots
28-17

psusnoop
Patriots
31-17

Naitch
Giants
31-24

:sf:
Giants
30-24

ram29jackson
Giants
27-17

I was only off by 6

this game was almost very much like the last meeting - SB 42

Brady is a great QB.

He is such a great QB/athlete, that he was able to sack himself in the end zone !!

that safety and Tynes kept the Giants in good shape throughout the game.

Coughlin is the Chuck Noll to Belichick's Tom Landry

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Coughlin is the Chuck Noll to Belichick's Tom Landry

While I understand what you're saying, Noll won 4 to Landry's 2. :nod:

ram29jackson
02-05-2012, 11:44 PM
While I understand what you're saying, Noll won 4 to Landry's 2. :nod:

yes,I just mean head to head...2 great coaches but one seems to trump the other...and the Parcells coaching tree is blooming

steelerfan
02-05-2012, 11:56 PM
yes,I just mean head to head...2 great coaches but one seems to trump the other.

Like I said, I knew what you meant.

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 12:27 AM
yes,it was close but the game still played out the way it was supposed to,so to speak.

The Pats low ranked defense allowed the Giants to get close enough for 2 field goals along with 2 TDs.

Gronk was injured and ineffective going 2 for 26.

the Giants had 114 yards rushing to keep Brady off the field and the clock running.

But a Blackburn int. and recovering 2 of your own fumbles ( Giants) certainly helps LOL

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 12:39 AM
and of course....LOL at Bradshaw's last TD..Eli told him not to score...but he fell in LOL

steelerfan
02-06-2012, 12:54 AM
Oh, Christ. :fp:

ram's Super Bowl party cake has made it onto the interwebs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-7922-dbd1.jpg

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Oh, Christ. :fp:

ram's Super Bowl party cake has made it onto the interwebs.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62c401e2-7922-dbd1.jpg

LOL nope, mine ..I have made to look like the field with the end zones/team names and colors and the roman numerals and the Lombardi trophy in the middle !

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 04:27 AM
http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/5402/abradshawsb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/abradshawsb.jpg/)

SmoothPancakes
02-06-2012, 07:19 AM
and of course....LOL at Bradshaw's last TD..Eli told him not to score...but he fell in LOL

Why did Eli not want him to score? Just finally looking at the box score and game recap after waking up a little bit ago, while 57 seconds is enough time for Brady to do a lot, get the points while you can. I'd rather have a touchdown and a 4 point lead with 57 seconds left, than a field goal and 1 point lead with 30 seconds (or however much there would have been) left.

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Why did Eli not want him to score? Just finally looking at the box score and game recap after waking up a little bit ago, while 57 seconds is enough time for Brady to do a lot, get the points while you can. I'd rather have a touchdown and a 4 point lead with 57 seconds left, than a field goal and 1 point lead with 30 seconds (or however much there would have been) left.

The Pats had to use a timeout on the Manningham catch. They only had one left. The touchdown play was only on 2nd down, so the 3rd down play they could run the clock all the way down to less than :20, and the Pats would have no timeouts. Compared to getting it with :57 and one timeout. Big difference, it was a good gamble by Belichick to give them the best chance to get back down the field.

SmoothPancakes
02-06-2012, 10:01 AM
The Pats had to use a timeout on the Manningham catch. They only had one left. The touchdown play was only on 2nd down, so the 3rd down play they could run the clock all the way down to less than :20, and the Pats would have no timeouts. Compared to getting it with :57 and one timeout. Big difference, it was a good gamble by Belichick to give them the best chance to get back down the field.

Ahh, alright. When all the details are laid out, now I see and understand why Eli didn't want him to score right then.

skipwondah33
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
I'm surprised that neither Welker or Gronkowski came up with that hail mary. Granted the replays were in slow motion, it appeared that they were in perfect position to catch the ball had they been a feet closer..especially Welker who looked like he stopped running.

psuexv
02-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm surprised that neither Welker or Gronkowski came up with that hail mary. Granted the replays were in slow motion, it appeared that they were in perfect position to catch the ball had they been a feet closer..especially Welker who looked like he stopped running.

I think if Gronk doesn't have a bum ankle he probably does get there. Of course if he didn't have a bum ankle it probably would have been a different game altogether.

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Hell even with the bum ankle. If that ball was just a hair higher up in the air he would have had it. And damn that would have been sweet to see a Super Bowl end like that.

psuexv
02-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Hell even with the bum ankle. If that ball was just a hair higher up in the air he would have had it. And damn that would have been sweet to see a Super Bowl end like that.

Especially since I need 3.9 more points out of him to win my fantasy playoff pool. I missed $120 by that much.

steelerfan
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Doesn't every Hail Mary come within a foot of an offensive player?

That one really wasn't a big deal.

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Gronk had a clear path to that ball though.

steelerfan
02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
It still wasn't that close.

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 02:22 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/bettingslip.jpg

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Just heard that Bradshaw didn't hear from Eli to not score until while he was handing off the ball :D that would be tough to comprehend when your'e so used to just charging into the end zone.

SmoothPancakes
02-06-2012, 02:27 PM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/bettingslip.jpg

That is one ballsy bet. It worked out, but still ballsy.

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm just amazed that it was only a 50-1 bet. Considering there have been 8 safeties in Super Bowl history. Not sure how many of those led off a game.

psuexv
02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Just heard that Bradshaw didn't hear from Eli to not score until while he was handing off the ball :D that would be tough to comprehend when your'e so used to just charging into the end zone.

Still, he should have been aware of the situation.

steelerfan
02-06-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm just amazed that it was only a 50-1 bet. Considering there have been 8 safeties in Super Bowl history. Not sure how many of those led off a game.

One that I can think of. Super Bowl IX. :nod:

May have been one in Super Bowl XXI too. I seem to remember one early in that game. In fact, I want to say it was 10-9 at the half, too.

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 03:12 PM
yes,it was close but the game still played out the way it was supposed to,so to speak.

The Pats low ranked defense allowed the Giants to get close enough for 2 field goals along with 2 TDs.

Gronk was injured and ineffective going 2 for 26.

the Giants had 114 yards rushing to keep Brady off the field and the clock running.

But a Blackburn int. and recovering 2 of your own fumbles ( Giants) certainly helps LOL

I still dont understand why half you guys picked the Pats,and by such large margins? Historically in this big game, stats for the most part dont lie and history has proven that not having a key starter in a game is a detriment.

the game was close relatively speaking, but the Giants did win for all the right reasons. Better defense and more weapons on offense.

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Doesn't every Hail Mary come within a foot of an offensive player?

That one really wasn't a big deal.

yeah, there was no dramatic juggling bobble to stop time LOL. Just the usual bat down/ knocking down the stupid desperation pass and then-time to celebrate !!!!!

gschwendt
02-06-2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt1LuXxjTE

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 04:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrt1LuXxjTE

that geriatric Lady Gaga still sells out major venues LOL......what is this exactly? its funny,but what is it ? just some humorous online Asian media fascinated with American or world events ?

JBHuskers
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
TMZ:
Giants Fan Jona Rechnitz -- I'm DONATING My $50,000 Safety Bet Winnings to Charity!!! http://bit.ly/yp7eeG

gschwendt
02-06-2012, 04:25 PM
that geriatric Lady Gaga still sells out major venues LOL......what is this exactly? its funny,but what is it ? just some humorous online Asian media fascinated with American or world events ?Just some humorous online Asian media fascinated with American or world events.

JeffHCross
02-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Still, he should have been aware of the situation.Awareness only accounts for so much. If he'd been clear by 10 yards and had no one in front of him, I'm sure he would have stopped. But he wasn't expecting the Red Sea to part. That's one reason the "let them score" strategy isn't used until they're close, because it's much easier for that to happen from 6 yards than from 10 or 15. Even if Bradshaw had been able to stop, Jerrod Mayo was going to shove him into the end zone.

ram29jackson
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
Awareness only accounts for so much. If he'd been clear by 10 yards and had no one in front of him, I'm sure he would have stopped. But he wasn't expecting the Red Sea to part. That's one reason the "let them score" strategy isn't used until they're close, because it's much easier for that to happen from 6 yards than from 10 or 15. Even if Bradshaw had been able to stop, Jerrod Mayo was going to shove him into the end zone.

LOL I wish that would have happened, that would have taken 3 valuable seconds away from Brady...doing that stupid madden junk where a guy runs in front of the endzone and then finally goes in

JBHuskers
02-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Based on Rivals rankings. 36 of the 53-man roster for the Patriots were ranked by Rivals since its existance. 18 of those 36 were ranked 0-2 stars when they were being recruited.

skipwondah33
02-07-2012, 11:12 AM
yeah, there was no dramatic juggling bobble to stop time LOL. Just the usual bat down/ knocking down the stupid desperation pass and then-time to celebrate !!!!!
If they would have batted it down like what is preached it surely would have been a TD for the Pats. New England actually had it executed well if there is ever such a thing on a Hail Mary other than luck. They had two players in the front of the play waiting for the Giants to swat the ball down/forward...they just weren't close enough to the play.

ram29jackson
02-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Based on Rivals rankings. 36 of the 53-man roster for the Patriots were ranked by Rivals since its existence. 18 of those 36 were ranked 0-2 stars when they were being recruited.

which is basically a rating on physical ability I assume....Belichick seems to do a great job of finding sacrificial smart guys..but thats also a detriment at some skill positions. You need a few physical/fast/athletic freaks in the mix to really scare the other team...obviously, 5 SBs means it works, but the last 4/5 years,thats surely a factor why they didnt finish number 1 ...and I wouldnt be surprised if Gronk doesnt last many years in NE if he doesnt get rid of the kid in him that jumps around shirtless at clubs LOL

ram29jackson
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
If they would have batted it down like what is preached it surely would have been a TD for the Pats. New England actually had it executed well if there is ever such a thing on a Hail Mary other than luck. They had two players in the front of the play waiting for the Giants to swat the ball down/forward...they just weren't close enough to the play.

they do mention trying to form a 4 man box in hail Mary situations for that reason

JeffHCross
02-07-2012, 10:14 PM
and I wouldnt be surprised if Gronk doesnt last many years in NE if he doesnt get rid of the kid in him that jumps around shirtless at clubs LOLHe'd have to do a lot worse to be kicked out of NE with what he brings to the field.

Unrelated note:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwvTPNMEEGI

ram29jackson
02-07-2012, 11:12 PM
[QUOTE=JeffHCross;125678]He'd have to do a lot worse to be kicked out of NE with what he brings to the field.

well, if Belichick doesnt like prima donnas, goofballs cant be too far down the list. Its after the stressful season,he's just a kid having fun. But who knows ? LOL

steelerfan
02-08-2012, 01:34 AM
Unrelated note:

:D:D:D

Dumb bitch.

ram29jackson
02-09-2012, 03:05 AM
LOL thats right...defense does not win championships.

the Giants gave up more points than they scored during the season. Basically during the playoffs,its about match-ups.

dont get me wrong, I think its kind of a negative/disgusting stat. But a team that was considered lacking in defense beat SF who's all about D, and beat an offensive juggernaut in the Pat's.

Go figure...?

and the Pats havent won a SB since Vinatieri left :D...i'm pretty sure he wasnt in the first SB with the Giants? too lazy to look up right now :sf:

steelerfan
02-09-2012, 05:43 AM
and the Pats havent won a SB since Vinatieri left :D...i'm pretty sure he wasnt in the first SB with the Giants? too lazy to look up right now :sf:

Correction: the Patriots haven't won the Super Bowl since they were caught cheating and the NFL hid the evidence, by pretending they lost the tapes, to avoid the biggest backlash in American sports history.

skipwondah33
02-09-2012, 08:52 AM
LOL thats right...defense does not win championships.

the Giants gave up more points than they scored during the season. Basically during the playoffs,its about match-ups.

dont get me wrong, I think its kind of a negative/disgusting stat. But a team that was considered lacking in defense beat SF who's all about D, and beat an offensive juggernaut in the Pat's.

Go figure...?

That Patriots were leading with 3 or so minutes left in the game....who failed to do their job and win the game?

And who's Defense held one of the best offenses in the game to a mere 17 points?

ram29jackson
02-09-2012, 02:57 PM
That Patriots were leading with 3 or so minutes left in the game....who failed to do their job and win the game?

And who's Defense held one of the best offenses in the game to a mere 17 points?

but thats why i bring it up..it obviously became about match ups because both teams were statistically poor in defensive categories. I wasnt surprised by the Giants winning on the last drive, The Pats defense failed to do theyre job because they failed all year,lucky to have a better then decent offense to make up for it. I'm willing to accept the pro game as is, but parity is still a weaker quality of play and being a great passing team doesnt even mean you may be that good a team thanks to the new passing rules.

were the Pats really the best offense all year ? the Siants and pack proved that getting alot of passing yards and winning games means nothing.....

ram29jackson
02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Correction: the Patriots haven't won the Super Bowl since they were caught cheating and the NFL hid the evidence, by pretending they lost the tapes, to avoid the biggest backlash in American sports history.

:D but even if they were cheating,they still only won by 3 in Each SB.

Adam V. has 45 post season field goals on his resume....

skipwondah33
02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
were the Pats really the best offense all year ? the Siants and pack proved that getting alot of passing yards and winning games means nothing.....
They didn't have to be the best..but wasn't their offense not in the top 5 in scoring or yards? I don't know but I'd guess they were.

And yes the Packers and Saints were great offensively...see where they got them both though. They could score all the points you needed but their defenses couldn't stop a nose bleed.

steelerfan
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
The Patriots were 3rd in the league in scoring at 32.1 PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

JeffHCross
02-09-2012, 08:03 PM
LOL thats right...defense does not win championships.Their defense didn't get them to the playoffs, but it sure as hell got them through the playoffs.

They didn't have to be the best..but wasn't their offense not in the top 5 in scoring or yards? I don't know but I'd guess they were.As steeler said, the Pats O was top 5 ... and their defense was dead last going into the playoffs.

skipwondah33
02-10-2012, 09:40 AM
The Patriots were 3rd in the league in scoring at 32.1 PPG.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go
Thought so....in a game where they needed their defense to win the SB..they failed.

ram29jackson
02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Thought so....in a game where they needed their defense to win the SB..they failed.

which I expected to begin with :nod:

ram29jackson
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4112/catchnysb.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/337/catchnysb.jpg/)