PDA

View Full Version : Zone Read - DE Always Blocked

tobyhoof
01-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Hi.

I have tried to run the zone read ("QB Choice") and the triple option with a few teams. My problem is, I know I'm supposed to read the unblocked DE, however, my line always blocks him. I have tried this with a few teams (e.g. Florida, Navy) but the DE gets blocked so I have no one to read. It takes all the fun out of it. I have watched several youtube videos of people showing how to run the zone read and you can clearly see in those examples the DE either staying or crashing the RB. It just never seems to happen for me.

I tried running the QB Choice out of shotgun and the Triple Option in the flexbone against a 4-3, cover 2 zone defence. Is the DE only left unblocked for certain defensive fronts? Am I supposed to set the line or direct their blocking somehow to leave the DE unblocked? Do I have to change the slider on the defensive awareness?

I should mention that I am playing NCAA 09. Was it a problem with the 09 game? I am giving it a trial run to see if I should get NCAA 12 and the only reason I'd get the game is to be able to play the option, zone read and triple option in particular.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TH

steelerfan
01-19-2012, 08:36 AM
NCAA 09 is your issue.

The end being unblocked was added in NCAA 11.

Also, welcome to TGT!

SeanOats
01-19-2012, 02:49 PM
I run the triple option in 2012 and the DE is left unblocked. Love it vs the computer, not so much against a human player.

tobyhoof
01-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Ah, they just fixed that in NCAA 11? What were they doing all the previous years? It's the whole point of the zone read play!

Thanks for the help. I was going crazy trying to figure this out until I stumbled upon this site. Great stuff! I've already spent hours reading through so many previous posts.

blkkrptnt819
01-27-2012, 05:48 PM
They don't always do the best job of leaving the end unblocked. And against an odd set they do a terrible job of figuring out who to block.

Keontez
01-29-2012, 12:12 AM
vs a Odd front defense, The DE is still unblocked. You just have to remember that the OLB is always the pitch man.