PDA

View Full Version : Paul Johnson Triple Option Playcalling system

Keontez
01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Paul Johnson's If /Then Play calling System
Paul Johnsons System is all built around running the Triple Option. To get proficient at it You must practice it against all front and know what fronts you cant run it against and what your opponent can do to take that away. The other plays are used as counters to keep the defense vanilla. Im not going to get all into detail like I usually would. But if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've tested this out for about 8-9 months as I've been working on this since right before the end of '11's season. I've been fairly successful with the system minus a couple of hiccups in my decision of playcalling and dealing with the 1-5-5 . Give it a try and we can discuss it and tweak it for all.

vs 8man Front
- Utilize the Twins Over, Split Wing Z/X, Tackle Over or Trips

vs Force players on the LOS
-Run Close and Split Z/X to get Better Blocking on the Perimeter

-Vs 3-3-5
- See 8man front

After you've done that:
If the free safety is in the box and nobody from the defense goes over to the unbalanced side, attack where the defense has fewer numbers.
If the defense takes somebody over, attack the side from where the defender was taken.

Also dont forget the personel packages This allows your opponent to see 3HB and 2WRs on the field most of the time and allows you to play a chess game with them so they'll never know where they'll line up.

Playcalling
Like I said earlier, The key play is the Triple and all the other plays are a counter to what the defense does against that. Now the general real life rules for wether you call Midline or Triple is depending on the defensive line technique, or where the linemen line up.

The real life rule is that if you have a 2 or 3tech playside (PS) run midline, If you dont have 2 or 3 tech playside run Triple. Im not going to tell you not to do it. But if you do decide to run the triple, I reccomend using the rule of watching to see if the MLB blitzes (keep) or not (Give).

Run Double Option if:

TNT or Bear Front
DT/NT is wrecking havoc and getting into the backfield fast
The opp. is concentrating on taking away the Dive.

​Run FB Dive/Sting if:

PSLB is scraping outside
Opp is usering the DE to give a cloudy read
Two 1techs and a MLB aligned over the Center

Run Rocket Toss if:

TNT or Bear Front
Stunting toward inside gaps
PSILB is blitzing A or B gaps
Force Player on the LOS
DE Blitzing the Dive

Run Counter Option (FB Load Option) or WB Misdirection If:

Opp is usering the BSLB and blitzing the BS A gap
Opp is usering LB and flowing hard to the tail motion

Run Option Passes if:

Opp is usering any Safety and flowing fast to the tail motion

morsdraconis
01-12-2012, 07:44 PM
:up:

VERY nice stuff man.

I had been playing with Navy a while back and was having issues with overloaded boxes at first and then started using Trips to force them to spread out some or not respect my passing game.

Keontez
01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks. It works well if you can see what they're doing. Some of it definitely transfers over into other offenses run games too.

JeffHCross
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Your post is giving me some flashbacks to running/learning/defending the Triple and Veer in high school. And I'm not sure I wanted those flashbacks. But good write-up :)

Keontez
01-13-2012, 01:06 AM
haha! Thanks, Jeff.

morsdraconis
01-13-2012, 05:22 AM
I do wonder Tez, how do you get the Option passes to work for you consistently, without getting killed trying to throw the ball? Are you immediately pulling out of the option look to throw the ball? Do you slider your line any direction while doing so? Against the CPU, at least, I find it useless to use the Option passes, but, of course, that works completely differently against human players.

Keontez
01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
The Triple option passes are instant sacks like the old Option passes. But the Speed Option/FB Load Option passes work well for me. I hit the button to bring up the icons almost immediately and begin dropping back. Im usually hitting a crosser on the FB Load Option passes or the corner route on the option passes. That Corner/Streak combo is a absolute zone coverage killer.

bogeyexpress
01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Great stuff!!!