PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports Announces Online Pass

cdj
05-10-2010, 04:59 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?134-EA-Sports-Announces-Online-Pass

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Lots of people are raking EA over the coals in regards to this however as technology evolves, business has to as well. Microtransactions give people fodder to take the same shots at EA last year, but you have to remember EA is not the only company doing these things. As online innovations come about, so do new ways of doing business.

cdj
05-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I think a lot of the criticism is coming from people who aren't fully understanding what Online Pass is. 'Buy the game new and you don't need to buy Online Pass.' - People aren't getting that.

Add in Peter Moore's blog where he says GameStop will be selling the Online Pass. That should indicate a lower price point for used EA Sports '11 titles at GameStop/EB, etc. They cannot (in good conscience at least) sell NCAA 11 used for $55 and then expect a person to pay for Online Pass, making a used title now cost more than a new version.

I have to shake my head at how so many in this country now despise companies that make money. If EA could recoup some of the money lost on used game sales, maybe game quality would go up significantly. People don't seem to hold anything against GameStop who is pulling in profit hand over fist via their used game sales system, which many in the know may consider more shady than the Online Pass system.

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah everyone that just wants to nitpick on hating EA just see's that they're charging $10 to access online features for buying the game used....that is all they see. A completely myopic view on things when stories like this come out.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Every gaming company wants to make money. Development costs are at an all time high and rapidly rising (http://www.cnbc.com/id/35932496/As_Video_Game_Development_Costs_Rise_So_Do_Risks). Tons of people are making money in the used game industry and EA's retail sales have suffered. This is a smart business move. It doesn't really matter if it's fair or not but everyone is doing in place ads, DLC, etc. This is just the next step with digital distribution being the final one.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I can see why some people think this is a, for lack of a better word, dickhead move on EA's part...

It's like having to pay Ford $1500 when you buy a used F150 for the radio & A/C to work.

But you also have to understand the move from their point of view. This is an untapped market & like JB said, businesses have to evolve. If Ford could find a way to eliminate the competition & do this, you can bet they would in a second. It's just smart business by EA. I personally have no problem with this, but I do understand where people are coming from. Like cdj said too, what this really will end up doing is to reduce the cost of used games at these stores.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I wonder how many people who buy the game used even play online. The people who seem to be online the most right now are guys who bought the game new (most likely) and have gaudy 365-108 records. It helps that there is a 7-day trial for people who buy used copies. Maybe 7 days is enough to turn them off from wanting to be online anyways.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
The problem is you can't even have a real discussion on this stuff at a bigger site. So many people are still angry over the exclusive deal they just spew venom.

cdj
05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The problem is you can't even have a real discussion on this stuff at a bigger site. So many people are still angry over the exclusive deal they just spew venom.

It may be tough, but one of our site goals is to have this place be mature and able to have legit discussions on all matters. Constructive criticism welcome, blind negativity is not.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I think that goal is very attainable.

texacotea
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Really makes sense IMO, its an incintive to buy the game new. Most of the people who are die hard buy it new anyway I know I have particitpated in midnight realeases for about 5 yrs now

steelerfan
05-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Man, I USED to post at another site and caught 10 kinds of hell and slander (sadly, 98% of it was from mods) on this very topic. Why? Because I support the company who makes the game and I'm not being charged a nickel for a pass. I buy the game new.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree, I think you can't blame people for buying a cheaper used copy if it's available to them & at the same time, you can't blame EA for finding a way to profit off their own hard work.

On another note, these "Recruiting reports for dynasty use" are the "boosts" you could buy in last year's game right?

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah what kills me is people think that EA is alienating everyone by doing this. No, they're not alienating anyone. Plus you get a WHOLE WEEK of a free online pass. You can still rent the game, and try it out. You like it, you buy it. You don't like it, it goes back. Simple as that.

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 02:40 PM
It may be tough, but one of our site goals is to have this place be mature and able to have legit discussions on all matters. Constructive criticism welcome, blind negativity is not.

Yeah blind negativeity will be easy to spot with myopic posts.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Which is easier - to hate on EA or hate on Tebow?

cdj
05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Which is easier - to hate on EA or hate on Tebow?

Wow, good question. :) It's an art form for each group, that's all I know.

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Well I'm pretty sure I could lead the Tebow hate club in my sleep... Man I can't stand that dude! :)

texacotea
05-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Well I'm pretty sure I could lead the Tebow hate club in my sleep... Man I can't stand that dude! :)

Whats wrong with Tebow? not his fault blame the media all he did was win football games

Kwizzy
05-12-2010, 03:24 PM
I have absolutely no problem admitting that the majority of my hate (probably 97%) for him stems from the coverage of him. The other 3% mostly comes from the fact that I have some bad experiences with in your face religious people. :) Hell of a football player, no problem admitting that!

gschwendt
05-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Industry Gamers got feedback from a handful of game industry analysts to get their opinion on the Online Pass:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/ea-sports-online-pass-brilliant-ea-charging-too-little-says-analyst/

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Yeah what kills me is people think that EA is alienating everyone by doing this. No, they're not alienating anyone. Plus you get a WHOLE WEEK of a free online pass. You can still rent the game, and try it out. You like it, you buy it. You don't like it, it goes back. Simple as that.

Right on brother. The people they're alienating are not their customers. They're Gamestop's.

Kwizzy
05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Right on brother. The people they're alienating are not their customers. They're Gamestop's.

That's been one of my main thoughts on this when people have said their just gonna piss people off... The only people they might piss off are people they weren't making money off of in the first place.

I normally wait to buy Madden used & I will most likely buy it new now depending on reviews of the game. I am intrigued by the potential of this gameflow/gameplanning feature. Just smart business though.

BlindRedBaron
05-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I think a lot of the criticism is coming from people who aren't fully understanding what Online Pass is. 'Buy the game new and you don't need to buy Online Pass.' - People aren't getting that.

Add in Peter Moore's blog where he says GameStop will be selling the Online Pass. That should indicate a lower price point for used EA Sports '11 titles at GameStop/EB, etc. They cannot (in good conscience at least) sell NCAA 11 used for $55 and then expect a person to pay for Online Pass, making a used title now cost more than a new version.

I have to shake my head at how so many in this country now despise companies that make money. If EA could recoup some of the money lost on used game sales, maybe game quality would go up significantly. People don't seem to hold anything against GameStop who is pulling in profit hand over fist via their used game sales system, which many in the know may consider more shady than the Online Pass system.

Definitely agreed on the lowering of the price point. I think a lot of people strongly against this overlook the fact that used game dealers (Gamestop in particular) will be forced to lower their prices of used EA games. It's a simple matter of pricing theory. To people who value online play, which I'll assume is a slight majority of people who buy used (definitely going out on a limb here), they will be unwilling to pay the typical high prices (50/55 dollar price tag) for used games. Demand shifts down, forcing Gamestop and other retailers to lower prices so they can actually move their inventory of used games.

All in all, this is a great thread and great site. Great job guys!

Rudy
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Here's a good article on it: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28565/Opinion_A_KneeJerk_Reaction_To_EA_Sports_Online_Pa ss.php

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 11:23 PM
So funny how "gaming fans" are not all up at arms for THQ doing the same thing for UFC 2010. But yet they were so quick to jump all over EA for doing it.

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 01:58 AM
I've actually seen it worse. It seems like THQ is getting more lambasted, especially because their press release was absolute crap.

EA also probably took the brunt since they were "first". And probably a lot of people are going either "Eh, they're just doing the same thing EA is ... it's EA's fault" OR "I wasn't planning to get that game anyway".

Rudy
05-20-2010, 05:44 AM
This article had some developers calling the selling of used games a problem bigger than piracy.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/34791/Pre-owned-a-bigger-problem-than-piracy

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I've actually seen it worse. It seems like THQ is getting more lambasted, especially because their press release was absolute crap.

EA also probably took the brunt since they were "first". And probably a lot of people are going either "Eh, they're just doing the same thing EA is ... it's EA's fault" OR "I wasn't planning to get that game anyway".

I'm was directing my comment in a particular direction ;) lol

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm was directing my comment in a particular direction ;) lol

yet... he teases... even in casual conversation...

i vote that we add this emoticon i made just for JB... 41

"E"

steelerfan
05-20-2010, 10:12 AM
yet... he teases... even in casual conversation...

i vote that we add this emoticon i made just for JB... 41

"E"

That emoticon needs a short skirt and some silicone to be truly representative of the situation.

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm was directing my comment in a particular directionAt first, when you posted the same thing in the other thread, I thought you meant a particular poster here.

Now I know better.

Amusingly, the thread on EASportsFans about Online Pass is titled "Good business strategy, EA!". And, at least the original poster, was being sincere. The dichotomy is amazing when you look across the community.

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
At first, when you posted the same thing in the other thread, I thought you meant a particular poster here.

Now I know better.

Amusingly, the thread on EASportsFans about Online Pass is titled "Good business strategy, EA!". And, at least the original poster, was being sincere. The dichotomy is amazing when you look across the community.

Yeah it's predictably quiet on another site in regards to THQ....I mean ZERO posts had been made as of yesterday bitching about THQ who is doing it a WEEK before the game releases as opposed to closer to a month.

cdj
12-04-2011, 12:45 AM
From Joystiq:

EA: Online Pass can expire for new-game purchases, but it shouldn't (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/12/03/ea-online-pass-can-expire-for-new-game-purchases-but-it-should/)

A NeoGAF member (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454078) posited that his new copy of EA's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit contained an Online Pass that was expired, blocking him from accessing online content -- others on the forum came forward with similar stories, suggesting that EA's disclaimer covers this clause and he was out of luck. Since blocking new-game purchasers from using online content seems like an unproductive move (even) for EA, we asked an EA Advisor for clarification on its Online Pass expiration policy.

EA's Online Pass can indeed expire for some new games, blocking buyers out of online content until they download a new pass or attain one from EA directly, EA confirmed to Joystiq. As a rule, no Online Pass should expire, but a few titles will have a time limit on their use, even for new purchases, EA said. Dragon Age 2, for example, has an Online Pass that expires on March 31, 2012, according to EA's EULA description. Re-downloading or getting a new Pass is free, EA said.

This still seems like a strange extra step for EA to infuse in its new games, and we have contacted EA more directly for further clarification. Until then, maybe you shouldn't wait until the holiday tear the shrinkwrap off that copy of Dead Space 2.

morsdraconis
12-04-2011, 05:34 AM
:smh:

Just keep on digging it deeper EA.

:smh:

cdj
12-05-2011, 09:48 PM
An update. The earlier report was incorrect (http://www.shacknews.com/article/71404/ea-online-passes-do-not-expire-as-long-as-game):

Electronic Arts has told Shacknews that 'Online Pass' codes, which are included in select games giving users access to multiplayer components and additional bonuses, are not intended to expire. The publisher says it will work to resolve any issues players have with invalid codes.

Last week, members of the gaming forum NeoGAF noted that one-use codes included in copies of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit were no longer valid, leading some to speculate the codes had an unadvertised expiration date. An earlier report suggested unused codes will expire over time; however, EA tells Shacknews that report was incorrect, saying "as long as EA's servers support that product" included codes should not expire.

The EA spokesperson told Shacknews: "EA Online Pass codes for first-purchase games do not expire as long as EA’s servers support that product. Customer service is our top priority – anyone encountering a problem redeeming an Online Pass for an EA game should contact EA Customer Support at 866-543-5435 for assistance."

Shacknews informed EA that users are still encountering issues with replacement codes, but the publisher maintains continued contact with customer service will resolve the issue. "[Users encountering issues] should continue to contact customer support," the spokesperson said. "As long as the game is still supported by EA servers, customer support is able to provide valid replacement codes that will work."