PDA

View Full Version : Excel Slider Testing Template

sl8b
01-05-2012, 08:53 PM
I just wanted to throw this out there because someone may get some use from it.

Basically, it's 3 tabs:

Input - this is where you type your stats, one rule: do not type in any box w/ red font (combined column)

Aggregated Stats - my ghetto table that sums up all of the games played to get a dashboard of what's going on. It may be wise to take QB sacks out of the rushing stats, but it's up to you.

Sliders - this is where you'll keep track of your sliders/settings. The worksheet will show you how difficult your sliders are (i.e. cpu's should be higher if playing AA or below), but it does not factor in special teams in the average.

This is a very simple tool, but it's helped me resist blind "slider chasing" and then reverting back to default. I hate tinkering with them, but since I mostly coach, I need to change settings around to get the game I want. If you use it and have questions, feel free to ask.

Happy new year!

gigemaggs99
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Questions:

For the "Input" tab do I leave the Maryland vs UNC stats?

For the "Sliders" tab do I enter my own sliders? Or will they adjust as I enter values from the Input tab?

In the "sliders" tab what does the "key" refer to?

sl8b
01-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I left stats on the input tab as an example, with text in red to signify a calculation. So you can delete the UNC/Maryland stats.

The sliders are for you to change. I always restart my input page when I adjust sliders so I can get an idea of my results for one particular slider set. I'm in no way qualified to write a program to give the user slider adjustments automatically! If I did develop something like that, the odds of making the end user happy would be very slim:)

They key was a cheat sheet for me...I.E. the slider bar changes colors at certain points when you make changes, so I thought it may be beneficial for use down the road.

I hope that helps, if I'm not being clear, let me know.

JerzeyReign
01-15-2012, 08:20 AM
I dig it.

sl8b
01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks. Like I said, it's not the fanciest thing in the world, but it is handy and I always got frustrated with sliders in the past. I guess I fell victim to the "how do you know where you are going if you don't know where your at" thing. This lets me know exactly how I can make the game more challenging and still get somewhat realistic results.

Scrambling QB's throw a monkey wrench in though, so I usually take the QB's rushing stats out of the equation.

On a side note, I've decided to go back to default penalty settings. The reason is, I noticed that the Cpu always accrues more penalties than me (over a minimum of 3 or 4 gms), so because it seems it's harder to lose in NCAA and Madden this year, I decided to take away what I never really considered an advantage in the past....but do now (thanks to actually keeping up with it).