PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Video Games: NCAA Football 11 Top 25 Gallery

coogrfan
07-02-2010, 07:11 PM
"#25--Your HOUSTON COUGARS!" :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/vg_houston_576.jpg

More: http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vggallery?id=5349084&photoId=5348960&photoCount=1

souljahbill
07-02-2010, 07:18 PM
LOL! Way to show the Coogs and then bounce.

It's kinda ironic that the pic has Houston and UCF. If Southern Miss is gonna win C-USA, those are the two toughest mountains to overcome.

HawkFan
07-02-2010, 07:42 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/Ferentzisgod/vg_iowa_576.jpg

#10 Iowa Hawkeyes

Geauxlden
07-02-2010, 07:46 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0702/vg_lsu_576.jpg

#17 LSU Tigers

cdj
07-02-2010, 07:48 PM
The game is very sharp graphically as these pics help show off. The art director and team deserve a lot of credit. The self-shadowing adds a lot to the realism.

skipwondah33
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Yeah I noticed that as well. Just by looking at the pics you can tell they also added alot of "little" things as far as player movement, etc. How a QB leans coming out of a rollout PA. Lighting seems better as well

Rudy
07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Somebody please explain to me how Oregon is #4. With Masoli I would agree. With him off the team I just don't see it. Boise St. should be ranked ahead of them. They return practically every starter and like it or not, they beat them head to head and won a BCS bowl game. OSU bounced a Masoli led Oregon team.

DariusLock
07-02-2010, 08:57 PM
LOL! Way to show the Coogs and then bounce.

It's kinda ironic that the pic has Houston and UCF. If Southern Miss is gonna win C-USA, those are the two toughest mountains to overcome.

haha Southern Miss haha j/k

UGA14
07-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Not that I'm surprised, but I find it a little odd we're outside of the Top 25 compared to some of these teams...

souljahbill
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
haha Southern Miss haha j/k
Don't hate on my alma mater, homie (and yes, I do realize you said j/k). At one time (late '90s-early 00's) we were one of the top mid-majors in the country. We beat Nebraska in Nebraska and Alabama in Alabama (shut 'em out 21-0). Unfortunately, we've been bested by Boise St., Utah, TCU, etc. for national cred.

morsdraconis
07-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Somebody please explain to me how Oregon is #4. With Masoli I would agree. With him off the team I just don't see it. Boise St. should be ranked ahead of them. They return practically every starter and like it or not, they beat them head to head and won a BCS bowl game. OSU bounced a Masoli led Oregon team.

I completely agree. But, in the end, it's not going to matter. Boise State has 2 teams to beat and they are pretty much an automatic championship team and I think the only team on their schedule that even has a CHANCE to beat them is Virginia Tech their first game. Boise State's offense is just so insanely good it's crazy.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
"#25--Your HOUSTON COUGARS!" :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/vg_houston_576.jpg

More: http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/vggallery?id=5349084&photoId=5348960&photoCount=1

Hmmm... didn't my Knights win that game last year?

Adam Thompson - EA
07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
The game is very sharp graphically as these pics help show off. The art director and team deserve a lot of credit. The self-shadowing adds a lot to the realism.

Yes! Jean Adams is our art director this year, and it was his first as a full time Art Director. He has done just a fabulous job. The thing that separates him from past ADs is that while they always stayed in the domain of art, Jean is just as much of the Production team as he is the art team. So he isn't just making sure it looks good, he's also driving the art features! He's been an artist on NCAA for a long time, deserved the promotion, and has justified it every step of the way. I still remember the day in April or May when I came into work and noticed he hadn't changed clothes... then I saw the makeshift bed in his office. He truly lives up the "Lazy EA" label that gets thrown at us!

coogrfan
07-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Hmmm... didn't my Knights win that game last year?

Yes, I believe they did. :(

I do know we get UCF in Houston this year. One word...payback. :popcorn:

arob12aggie
07-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Did Houston lose to UTEP? :confused: Well, at least you beat #6 school in Texas name Texas Tech. :) I'm cheering for yall again this year. :cool:

cdj
07-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I still remember the day in April or May when I came into work and noticed he hadn't changed clothes... then I saw the makeshift bed in his office. He truly lives up the "Lazy EA" label that gets thrown at us!

I noticed they added quite a few changes in terms of small stadium edits and field art between March and April which people will appreciate in the final version. It helps the immersion factor when they are up to date, but I wish there was an easier way for you guys to get the assets or support from the schools. It seems like some bend over backwards getting you guys info and some, well don't.

coogrfan
07-02-2010, 11:13 PM
Did Houston lose to UTEP? :confused: Well, at least you beat #6 school in Texas name Texas Tech. :) I'm cheering for yall again this year. :cool:

Yup, Buckram and co. tore our "defense" a new one.(300+ yds rushing). :o

UTEP, like UCF, has to come to us this year. Based on the Coogs recent history in home payback games (2008-UH 70, Tulsa 30; 2009-UH 73, Rice 14), odds are pretty good that neither is likely to enjoy the trip.

Kingpin32
07-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Yeah...lets not speak about that game lol.

morsdraconis
07-02-2010, 11:19 PM
I noticed they added quite a few changes in terms of small stadium edits and field art between March and April which people will appreciate in the final version. It helps the immersion factor when they are up to date, but I wish there was an easier way for you guys to get the assets or support from the schools. It seems like some bend over backwards getting you guys info and some, well don't.

And I think that's something that FEW people truly understand. A BIG BIG part of getting the updates for the game when it comes to art for school likenesses, stadiums, etc, is unfortunately at the mercy of what the schools are willing to send their way. EA certainly doesn't have the budget or time to go to all 120 schools personally and get the information in person. So they have to give them a call and be at the mercy of those people they are contacting about getting it correct.

If only more schools were easier to work with or, even more so, it was easier for the guys at EA to get the information that they needed to get everything up to date, but they have to work with what they can get. Sometimes that means not getting a whole stadium in, sometimes that means missing a detail or two on some mascots.

steelerfan
07-02-2010, 11:57 PM
He truly lives up the "Lazy EA" label that gets thrown at us!

I, for one, would certainly hope that you guys know how much the rest of us appreciate what you all do. "Lazy" is not a word I believe will ever be uttered here. Thank you and please let Jean know that his work is very appreciated as well. I can't wait to get my hands on 11!

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Yes, I believe they did. :(

I do know we get UCF in Houston this year. One word...payback. :popcorn:

I'm not even going to bother watching that one. UCF hasn't had a real QB since O'Leary showed up, so I enter every season with low expectations.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:17 AM

That's exactly what happens. One thing I have already done this year is send stadium shots out for approval early... we did it this week! I think this will reduce the number of cuts, but with 150+ stadiums it is hard to not leave stuff out.

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 12:20 AM
NVM Adam, I got the answer off the mascot thread! :)

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:24 AM
And I think that's something that FEW people truly understand. A BIG BIG part of getting the updates for the game when it comes to art for school likenesses, stadiums, etc, is unfortunately at the mercy of what the schools are willing to send their way. EA certainly doesn't have the budget or time to go to all 120 schools personally and get the information in person. So they have to give them a call and be at the mercy of those people they are contacting about getting it correct.

If only more schools were easier to work with or, even more so, it was easier for the guys at EA to get the information that they needed to get everything up to date, but they have to work with what they can get. Sometimes that means not getting a whole stadium in, sometimes that means missing a detail or two on some mascots.

That's it in a nutshell. But every year we miss stuff that we shouldn't. There is no reason to blame the schools for not providing us with every update. We can always do better and while budget does come into play on the bigger items, it really comes down to a numbers game. 150+ stadiums and most of them make a change every year that will upset someone for not making the game. I don't wanna say we'll never have it perfect, because that has to be the ultimate goal, but our focus has to be on improving this every year.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:25 AM
I, for one, would certainly hope that you guys know how much the rest of us appreciate what you all do. "Lazy" is not a word I believe will ever be uttered here. Thank you and please let Jean know that his work is very appreciated as well. I can't wait to get my hands on 11!

Heh.. he was sleeping on the job! Sure it was 4am and he just wrapped up a 16 hour day, but he was at work and sleeping! haha

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 12:28 AM
That's it in a nutshell. But every year we miss stuff that we shouldn't. There is no reason to blame the schools for not providing us with every update. We can always do better and while budget does come into play on the bigger items, it really comes down to a numbers game. 150+ stadiums and most of them make a change every year that will upset someone for not making the game. I don't wanna say we'll never have it perfect, because that has to be the ultimate goal, but our focus has to be on improving this every year.

This attitude shows far beyond your words this year man. No doubt about it. We all certainly thank you for a great season of work.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:28 AM
NVM Adam, I got the answer off the mascot thread! :)

Back in the day, yes. I made a post about it in the mascots thread tonight. It used to be really hard to get good up to date mascot photos. However, Toledo pointed me to Rocky the Rocket's facebook page for photos this year and I found an incredible avenue for mascot pictures. Apparently, they all have their own Facebook page with lots of photos! Especially with the way Facebook works if you post a photo of a mascot on your page, and tag it with that mascot's name, it will show up on the mascot's Facebook page. I will never worry about mascot reference again.

Stadiums are still a little trickier... I have to hope that those schools' fans took photos and posted them on Flickr etc and put the right tags on them (especially the date of the photo!).

Solidice
07-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Heh.. he was sleeping on the job! Sure it was 4am and he just wrapped up a 16 hour day, but he was at work and sleeping! haha

maybe he wanted to save gas. :D

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM
maybe he wanted to save gas. :D

Actually, that is probably true. He has a crummy commute and was looking at a lot of work to be done in the next two days so he just didn't go home.

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 12:36 AM
That's exactly what happens. One thing I have already done this year is send stadium shots out for approval early... we did it this week! I think this will reduce the number of cuts, but with 150+ stadiums it is hard to not leave stuff out.

How long does it take to complete a stadium in the game from start to finish compared to the last-gen (xbox, ps2) stadiums?

ebin
07-03-2010, 12:47 AM

Surprised the hell out of me. That is a good 5-6 spots higher than I would have expected. I can't argue with anything you said, though technically, Masoli is still a Duck in the game.

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Stadiums are still a little trickier... I have to hope that those schools' fans took photos and posted them on Flickr etc and put the right tags on them (especially the date of the photo!).

I assume you got my massive stadium post from Utopia last year then, to get all that wsu stuff in? Well, mine and Potatoes' posts

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 01:16 AM
I assume you got my massive stadium post from Utopia last year then, to get all that wsu stuff in? Well, mine and Potatoes' posts

He owed us in adding Martin Stadium's renovations, we were the last BCS team to get their stadium added to the game ;)

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 01:23 AM
He owed us in adding Martin Stadium's renovations, we were the last BCS team to get their stadium added to the game ;)

And that is a fact! haha. Hope the mega replay board is in along with the tunnel flag on the east zone

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 01:27 AM
And that is a fact! haha. Hope the mega replay board is in along with the tunnel flag on the east zone

Unless Adam is blind, it probably will be in. The video board was the most visible piece about the renovation.

You hear they will probably stall Phase III of our renovations? Looks like WSU would rather update our weight room (already completed and it's state of the art now) and maybe add a separate football only practice facility among other things.

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 01:40 AM
What!? Don't we already have both those? The stadium is going to be the fastest way back to the top 25 for us. I would not understand that line of thinking. Especially with all the other top Pac 10 schools renovating recently. Got to finish what has been started to compete.

Back on topic a little, what do you think about OSU (Pac) this year? If Moevoa is back and healthy they could be top dog I think. We'll see how he returns. Other than that they are stacked. With Masoli losing time I think OSU is poised to take it. Civil war could decide it.

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 01:50 AM
What!? Don't we already have both those? The stadium is going to be the fastest way back to the top 25 for us. I would not understand that line of thinking. Especially with all the other top Pac 10 schools renovating recently. Got to finish what has been started to compete.

Back on topic a little, what do you think about OSU (Pac) this year? If Moevoa is back and healthy they could be top dog I think. We'll see how he returns. Other than that they are stacked. With Masoli losing time I think OSU is poised to take it. Civil war could decide it.

If we have one of the top athletic facilities in the conference that will attract higher caliber recruits. I guess they want to see product on the field first before they finish renovating our stadium.

I do believe it will come down to the Civil War to decide a champion, but with Oregon State prevailing this time.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 01:57 AM
How long does it take to complete a stadium in the game from start to finish compared to the last-gen (xbox, ps2) stadiums?

Well, I don't remember how long last gen was. But a new stadium to final on the art side is about 500 hours. You'll need about 20 programmer hours for support on average there, and I don't know the QA time required.

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 02:00 AM
We did make updates to Martin, but they were extensive. My stadium blog will have pics of both endzones. I'm not at the office till Tuesday, so I can't confirm or deny any other changes.

Can you give me a summary of what has been done and what is still slated to be done? I don't need pictures, I'm just trying to get an idea of how extensive it all is.

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 02:04 AM
We did make updates to Martin, but they were extensive. My stadium blog will have pics of both endzones. I'm not at the office till Tuesday, so I can't confirm or deny any other changes.

Can you give me a summary of what has been done and what is still slated to be done? I don't need pictures, I'm just trying to get an idea of how extensive it all is.

Phase I and II are completed, Phase III might be on hold for awhile.

Phase I and II is pretty long so it's in spoiler tags.

Phase II - North Side (Student Side)
Construction began 12/06 - completion 9/07

Current/new restrooms
Women's - 34 toilets/91 toilets
Men's toilets - 8 toilets/34 toilets
Men's urinals - 20 urinals/61 urinals
Family toilets - 0/2
Concessions pos (point of sale)
Current/new (portable)
Pos - 25/37 (16)

Improved circulation - 11,725 sq ft/25,871 sq ft

North strip parking
Number of spaces is tentatively at 38
½ of the spaces will be covered
Added amenities
First aid room
Permanent bookie space
New entry gates (9/08 completion date)
Heated restrooms/water
New concessions commissary space

Phase I - South Side (Press Box Side)
Construction began 12/06 - completion 8/08

Current/new (total) restrooms
Women's - 22 toilets/40 (48) toilets
Men's toilets - 9 toilets/ 16 (20) toilets
Men's urinals - 25 urinals/28 (41) urinals
Family toilets - 0/1
Added amenities
New entrances at gate g (2008 season)
Heated restrooms/water
New concessions office space (2008 season)

Phase I - East End Zone (Stadium Way End)
Construction began 12/06 - completion 8/08

Current/new restrooms
Women's - 0 toilets/25 toilets
Men's toilets - 0 toilets/9 toilets
Men's urinals - 0 urinals/16 urinals
Family toilets - 0/1
Concession pos current/new (portable)
Pos - 18 (all portable)/11 (5)

Improved circulation - 8,650 sq ft/17,185 sq ft

Ticket office
Year round ticket office located at new ne plaza
8 exterior windows/6 interior windows
Staff offices

NE plaza - Butch's Cage/the new front door
New entry into stadium/gathering place
Beautification of area
Donor opportunities
Improved circulation

Added amenities
Security room
Improved storage
New entry gates
Heated restrooms/water

Overview of the phases are here http://martinstadium.org/teambuilt/phases.html

And the artist renditioning of the stadium and other plans http://martinstadium.org/home.html

Adam Thompson - EA
07-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I've seen that copy pasta before and it is hard to wade through the stuff about new bathrooms and water fountains to get to what we need to do update for the game. We'll worry about whether or not the new paint job at the hotdog session is up to date on Xbox 1440.

Just let me know when the screenshots go out next week if we missed anything or if there is stuff not in the screenshots that have changed.

morsdraconis
07-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Wow, that's some serious updates to WSU's stadium. Great to see!

Hopefully you guys can get back to being a team to be reckoned with in the Pac whatever.

Potatoes002
07-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Yeah, I've seen that copy pasta before and it is hard to wade through the stuff about new bathrooms and water fountains to get to what we need to do update for the game. We'll worry about whether or not the new paint job at the hotdog session is up to date on Xbox 1440.

Just let me know when the screenshots go out next week if we missed anything or if there is stuff not in the screenshots that have changed.

Darn, I was hoping this was the year those hotdog stands were going to be up to date :D

Will do, thanks for adding renovations to it this year.

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Darn, I was hoping this was the year those hotdog stands were going to be up to date :D

Will do, thanks for adding renovations to it this year.

X2!

The big thing about the bathrooms and concessions are that they are built-in brick buildings on the concourse above the endzone seating now, so on the field they are brick structures on the way out of the stadium, or to the new entrance. So they do matter from an artist standpoint as they are in plain view if looking to the west endzone (but just the brick part, as the bathrooms are entered from the opposite side now). But I see you took care of that part of it, so props. I was honestly stuck wondering if it would take phase III to get an in game update out of martin. And probably without forums and our mediums of info outside of the school loop, it wouldn't have happened. If that video board is updated, and I know it is ;), I will be phased out come game time. Bring on the Huskies!

beartide06
07-03-2010, 02:38 AM
Well Adam I just want to thank you and then entire team for a job well done. you guys put a lot of heart and hard work into these additions and blogs and I think ya'll are doing a magnificent job. Keep up the good work!

Wow 500 hours on 1 stadium? That seems like a lot of work lol. I guess it's a good thing you have a team haha.

Rudy
07-03-2010, 04:48 AM
500 hours on a stadium seems crazy. I love how Adam breaks stuff down in terms of numbers like this. Adam, does your team know how many hours it would take to add in-game saves? Given the fact that both baseball games have it, I'd like to think it's not a huge endeavor.

souljahbill
07-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Adam,

I wanna echo what everyone else has said. I told Ben this year that you guys did a great job this year and not let message boards discourage you guys. It seems to me that some people are overly harsh, nit-picking at every little detail. Nothing wrong with wanting a better product but sheesh. Sometimes the "criticism" is just TOO much.

While some people are discussing stadiums, I'm gonna assume the "I can't use a bowl stadium as my TB team's home stadium because the crowd is split 50/50" issue is still present so I wanna ask for is a generic dome stadium to be added for 2012.

OK, back on topic (pics of the top 25) - The pictures do look really good. The videos on the Dynasty page are a lot clearer this year too.

Tarhead10
07-03-2010, 04:04 PM
The visual improvements are very nice.... Also looks like to me that the crowd looks more crisp and sharp than it did on the demo, but could be my eyes also....;)

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 06:58 PM
The visual improvements are very nice.... Also looks like to me that the crowd looks more crisp and sharp than it did on the demo, but could be my eyes also....;)

Nope it's not just your eyes. Definitely the re-proportioning of the stadiums has made the fans look better. Also I think there was some extra neutral coloring sprinkled throughout the stadiums, so as not to make a solid block of same colored fans. It's nicely done I think.

Jayrah
07-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Going back to the pics. I love the new lighting more and more. I see lighter lights, and darker darks. As soon as degradation is added to both field and jersey/pants, it will look really incredible. As it is it is just mesmerizing to look at the stills. I noticed when looking on some OD recaps that all of the small link tabs to the pictures are tough to distinguish between real game and in game. It's simply awesome.

steelerfan
07-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Do we have any confirmation of degradation?

Jayrah
07-04-2010, 12:18 AM
Do we have any confirmation of degradation?

I haven't seen any confirmation yet. If you look at the fields, the grass fields and the synth fields can be differentiated by the look between the hash marks, because there is a 'dirt' look to the grass field. But so far, absolutely no degradation to speak of. I can't get over how much I love the pics. And for the most part, I can't think of too many teams that shouldn't be in that top 25 right now.