PDA

View Full Version : 2010 NFL Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

JBHuskers
05-10-2010, 12:34 PM
This thread is to discuss the 2010 NFL season.

JBHuskers
05-12-2010, 02:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5183620

Very surprised to see that after the revote that Cushing got to keep his defensive rookie of the year award.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Cheaters DO prosper! The drug he tested positive for was something used by roiders to get their testosterone back up between steroid cycles.

And yet the NFL still wants to suspend the Williams players in the StarCaps case despite the fact the VP knew it had a banned substance not on the ingredient list and didn't tell the players, union or FDA. Fair doesn't seem to be a part of the equation.

cdj
05-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I just figured this was the result of using a BowFlex, P90X, and the ShakeWeight.

http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/77424/photos/PHOTO_3208627_77424_6971988_ap_320X240.jpg

texacotea
05-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I just figured this was the result of using a BowFlex, P90X, and the ShakeWeight.

http://media.kickstatic.com/kickapps/images/77424/photos/PHOTO_3208627_77424_6971988_ap_320X240.jpg

def a product of the shake weight

cdj
05-12-2010, 03:30 PM
I've been pretty impressed the moves of my favorite team lately - the Raiders. A smart draft and they weren't afraid to cut some dead weight re: Russell. With solid QB play for the entire season, maybe they make the playoffs last year. They may not be loaded, but they don't exactly have any huge holes right now. It finally feels like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 05:26 PM
I couldn't understand what the Raiders were doing on draft day. Drafting a solid football player in McClain to play MLB? He was easily the best MLB in the draft and will be a stud but he didn't run under a 4.5. They actually seemed to know what they are doing. I also like the pickup of Wimbley (kid from Cleveland to play DE) and Jason Campbell. I don't think Campbell is the answer but he's a million times better than Russell.

Rudy
05-12-2010, 05:27 PM

From man boobs to monster. No, he doesn't do roids.

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 03:48 AM
I couldn't understand what the Raiders were doing on draft day. Drafting a solid football player in McClain to play MLB? He was easily the best MLB in the draft and will be a stud but he didn't run under a 4.5. They actually seemed to know what they are doing. I also like the pickup of Wimbley (kid from Cleveland to play DE) and Jason Campbell. I don't think Campbell is the answer but he's a million times better than Russell.

"I don't think Campbell is the answer but he's a million pounds lighter than Russell."

Fixed.

Ha! cdj, all the time I've known you, I had NO idea you were a Raiders Guy. Oh well, we all have our vices.

:p

steelerfan
05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5183620

Very surprised to see that after the revote that Cushing got to keep his defensive rookie of the year award.

I believe this makes Cushing the first 2-time AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in NFL history.

Rudy
05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Does anyone else find NFL writers to be hypocrites? They really

jaymo76
05-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I've been pretty impressed the moves of my favorite team lately - the Raiders. A smart draft and they weren't afraid to cut some dead weight re: Russell. With solid QB play for the entire season, maybe they make the playoffs last year. They may not be loaded, but they don't exactly have any huge holes right now. It finally feels like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah I am impressed as well. The Campbell pickup and dumping of Jacrapus Russell are huge steps in the right direction. The family and I flew to Oakland last year to see the Skins game... absolutely brutal. However a strong draft and seemingly less interference from Al Davis has started the 2010 campaign off on the right foot. If we can develop a threat at the WR position I think we can do some damage in the AFC west... not playoffs or anything but definitely we should make things interesting.

jaymo76
05-25-2010, 11:47 PM
"I don't think Campbell is the answer but he's a million pounds lighter than Russell."

Fixed.

Ha! cdj, all the time I've known you, I had NO idea you were a Raiders Guy. Oh well, we all have our vices.

:p

Absolutely classic!!! lol

Kev5890
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Only 6 more weeks till Bears training camp starts!!!

I can't wait for this to begin, training camp should be crazy with all of the new additions.

Rudy
06-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I think Miami's offense could be really good if Henne takes the next step. The secondary should be better but the pass rush looks bad. They didn't draft any pass rushers (I see Koa Misi as an all around player - 5 sacks as a DE for Utah doesn't = NFL pass rusher) and their OLBs are probably the biggest weak link on the team. The 3-4 is most effective when you have more than one pass rusher at OLB. If you only have one like Cam Wake, the 3-4 turns into a 4-3 with a standup end and just isn't as effective. The Dolphins do have some young DL and maybe one of them will step up and be a pass rusher but it's a big concern right now.

iBrandon
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
I am hoping the Niners can finally win the NFC West this year and make the playoffs. I think their Defense is going to be pretty good, top half of the league, but the offense will go as far as Alex Smith and the O-Line can take them. They really beefed up the line in the draft, but these guys are rookies. Hopefully Alex Smith has a solid season and doesn’t make many mistakes. He has some weapons around him, with Davis having a great season last year, Crabtree and Morgan will only get better.

Holc
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I laugh every time I see a Shake Weight commercial :D I refer to it as the Jacker 3000! By the way, go Jets!

oweb26
07-08-2010, 12:21 AM
Well I didnt want to create a new thread for this one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/07/to-takes-aim-at-espn-for-his-lack-of-a-job/

Receiver Terrell Owens previously has spoken about the fact that he can't find a job (on his $5 million per year terms) by blaming it on perceptions regarding a history of misbehavior.

He addressed the situation again during a Wednesday appearance on 104.5 The Zone in Nashville, and he laid specific blame for the first time at a certain four-letter network in Connecticut.

"A lot of people have listened to a lot of the commentaries throughout a lot of the media outlets, mainly ESPN, that has my character in question as far as things that have happened in the past," Owens said. "And I think even though I may do 99 good things right and if I do one thing wrong, ESPN and the people on there is gonna make it out to be the worst thing ever."

But T.O. later acknowledged -- again -- that he has done some things in the past that he would do differently now, the closest he'll ever come to apologizing and/or simply admitting he was wrong.

He declared that he's "probably in the best shape of my life," and he said he's "ready for a call" and "to give a team an opportunity to get to a Super Bowl."

Owens acknowledged that he has made no visits, but he claims that teams are interested. He also mentioned that injuries will happen once camps open.

He also reiterated that he's willing to be a No. 2 wideout, and he continues to insist that was his role in Buffalo last year -- even though he had 55 catches for 829 yards while Lee Evans had 44 receptions for 612.

We're told that, for now, nothing is happening. One league source predicts that things could get interesting as teams begin to gather for preseason practices

As much as I'm not a huge fan of how he carries himself sometimes, he does have a point, no matter what he does ESPN talks about it likes its the end of the world. (especially Skip Bayless)

They are out for ratings and even Colin Cowherd and Micheal Irvin have admitted that whenever you talk TO the ratings go through the roof.

I personally think some of his remarks must have some form of creditibily because everytime there is always a split in the locker room and even according to ESPN " some people always feels the same way he does" but he just dumb enough to say it to the media.

On that note sorry TO in life you cant blame anyone else for your fuck ups.

steelerfan
07-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Yep, but as you said, TO has no one to blame but himself.

ESPN did not single him out. He created the monster and now he wants to play the victim role. BS!

Rudy
07-08-2010, 05:10 AM
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. The media loves "ratings people". TO is a ratings person for NFL TV. Britney Spears and Jon & Kate were ratings people for TV shows. You bring up all their crazy actions and you get good ratings. There is no question TO has done a lot of crappy things while in the NFL. He has argued with Jeff Garcia, McNabb and eventually wore out his welcome with Romo and Witten. That said, there were a lot of guys in those locker room that loved TO. He also never created a problem in Buffalo last year although it's usually in year 2 and beyond that he becomes a cancer. On a one year deal I think TO would be a good addition for many teams.

steelerfan
07-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I don't fully disagree. What I'm saying is that all of his "I love me some me" and doing crunches in his driveway and screaming at OCs and QBs created the buzz that ESPN latched on to which led to the dilemma he has now.

Someone will sign him eventually though. Cincinnati, Baltimore and Oakland come to mind.

oweb26
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't fully disagree. What I'm saying is that all of his "I love me some me" and doing crunches in his driveway and screaming at OCs and QBs created the buzz that ESPN latched on to which led to the dilemma he has now.

Someone will sign him eventually though. Cincinnati, Baltimore and Oakland come to mind.

I love me some me, and I will tell anyone, whats wrong with an athlete saying it? ESPN ride sthe hell out of anything he does, I do believe though he has that Im really good mentalitly and I was not given anything (which hs wasnt, he came from UT-chatt) which can lead to a sense of arrogance that in the business world wou d be acceptable but in sports according to ESPN its not.

I think we all can agree athletes are arrogant so why should they act otherwise? I think people are kidding themselves.

Where I grew up if you were the best you talked shit to everyone so I take his comments a tface value and nothing else.

souljahbill
07-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I don't really watch the NFL anymore but I do keep up with the Saints since they're my hometown team. I can't even describe how BIG the Saints Super Bowl win was for everyone back home. Everyone had Who Dat fever. Totally bananas!

morsdraconis
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I love me some me, and I will tell anyone, whats wrong with an athlete saying it? ESPN ride sthe hell out of anything he does, I do believe though he has that Im really good mentalitly and I was not given anything (which hs wasnt, he came from UT-chatt) which can lead to a sense of arrogance that in the business world wou d be acceptable but in sports according to ESPN its not.

I think we all can agree athletes are arrogant so why should they act otherwise? I think people are kidding themselves.

Where I grew up if you were the best you talked shit to everyone so I take his comments a tface value and nothing else.

The thing is, that mentality is great when you're growing up, being a kid. But when you become an adult, you act civilized and like you have some god damn sense in your head. Screaming at people and "performing" for the camera are hardly ways to do either of those.

I don't watch ESPN for anything besides the games and I usually pay very little attention to the announcers. I have never liked Terrell Owens and I never will.

But many people forget how he was before he got an ego:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3C4P9O20Qk

souljahbill
07-08-2010, 04:39 PM
The thing is, that mentality is great when you're growing up, being a kid. But when you become an adult, you act civilized and like you have some god damn sense in your head. Screaming at people and "performing" for the camera are hardly ways to do either of those.

I don't watch ESPN for anything besides the games and I usually pay very little attention to the announcers. I have never liked Terrell Owens and I never will.

But many people forget how he was before he got an ego:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3C4P9O20Qk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apkWhGErPBU&feature=related

jaymo76
07-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Please don't mention my Raiders and T.O. ... we have enough issues .... cough, cough, Al Davis... cough...

iBrandon
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Yep, but as you said, TO has no one to blame but himself.

ESPN did not single him out. He created the monster and now he wants to play the victim role. BS!
I was going to say the same thing. All the bridges TO has burned, most of the mess with him is his own fault. For the record, I enjoy the guy and love watching him play.

morsdraconis
07-20-2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apkWhGErPBU&feature=related

Yup, and that was when it started. He did that and it was just all downhill from there.

jschwa17
07-21-2010, 02:08 PM
Please don't mention my Raiders and T.O. ... we have enough issues .... cough, cough, Al Davis... cough...

is that al davis coughing because he is already one foot in or you?

And I don't know why there is an NFL discussion thread, my Broncos will win every game forever because we now have Jesus Christ playing QUARTERBACK FOR US! I wonder if we will become "bronco nation"

SmoothPancakes
07-22-2010, 02:35 AM
is that al davis coughing because he is already one foot in or you?

And I don't know why there is an NFL discussion thread, my Broncos will win every game forever because we now have Jesus Christ playing QUARTERBACK FOR US! I wonder if we will become "bronco nation"

Yes! Another Broncos fan! Slowly, but surely, we shall paint this board orange and blue! :D

morsdraconis
07-22-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't think so friends. I don't think so.

We may be quiet, but there are Redskins around.

SmoothPancakes
07-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't think so friends. I don't think so.

We may be quiet, but there are Redskins around.

Hey, you should be thanking us! Without the Broncos, the Redskins wouldn't have had Clinton Portis as their workhorse for the past 6 years, they wouldn't have Ryan Torain sitting there on the depth chart ready to fill in at RB, and they wouldn't have Coach Shanahan on the sidelines.

steelerfan
07-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey, you should be thanking us! Without the Broncos, the Redskins wouldn't have had Clinton Portis as their workhorse for the past 6 years, they wouldn't have Ryan Torain sitting there on the depth chart ready to fill in at RB, and they wouldn't have Coach Shanahan on the sidelines.

Or a blowout win in Super Bowl XXII.

morsdraconis
07-22-2010, 10:27 AM

:D

My thoughts exactly.

SmoothPancakes
07-22-2010, 10:39 AM

You just had to bring that up. :rolleyes:

steelerfan
07-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Per The Worldwide Leader in Hype, the Bungles have confirmed interest in TO.

JBHuskers
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM

:popcorn:

morsdraconis
07-26-2010, 02:44 PM

(shakes head)

That's just sad...

jaymo76
08-07-2010, 12:35 AM

What's the over under as to when TO blows up the Bengals? I call week six!

steelerfan
08-07-2010, 02:39 AM
What's the over under as to when TO blows up the Bengals? I call week six!

LMAO at Hines Ward jokingly saying he's praying for Carson Palmer the other day! The Bungles have an assortment of guys that could blow their season up.

morsdraconis
08-07-2010, 07:44 AM
I feel really bad for Palmer. That guy is one of the most talented QBs to come out of the draft since Brady yet he's stuck on the worst franchise. It's all spiraled down for them after he got injured by the Steelers in the playoffs that one year (06 or 07 I think it was). That was THE year for them to have a chance to win it all and a freak injury just blew it all up.

I feel really bad for him cause he so desperately wants to be as good as Manning and Brady (and he and Chad Johnson worked REALLY REALLY hard to get to that point when Palmer got to the Bengals) but he's either lost the ability to do so because of the injury or just doesn't have the same connection with Chad Johnson as he did before because they are just not the same anymore.

steelerfan
08-07-2010, 04:24 PM
The rumor is that Palmer has multiple leg issues and the Bungles are trying to keep it hush-hush. If a fraction of what is being said is true, he's likely to continue to struggle.

For the record, the injury you're talking about was in January 06, following the 05 season.

morsdraconis
08-07-2010, 04:38 PM
The rumor is that Palmer has multiple leg issues and the Bungles are trying to keep it hush-hush. If a fraction of what is being said is true, he's likely to continue to struggle.

That's really interesting and would confirm a lot of what I've seen with Palmer since his initial injury. He seems to not have as much zip on the ball and he definitely doesn't seem as confident as he was before. Him not having his legs anymore would definitely make sense with that.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 09:15 PM
I feel really bad for Palmer. That guy is one of the most talented QBs to come out of the draft since Brady yet he's stuck on the worst franchise.The Bungles are bad, I'll grant you. But the worst? They're not the Browns ... or the Lions ...

steelerfan
08-08-2010, 03:02 AM
The Bungles are bad, I'll grant you. But the worst? They're not the Browns ... or the Lions ...

They're all garbage. The Bungles have had 2 winning seasons in 20 years, that point sells itself, lol. They're 128-207-1 since the AFC Championship year of 1988. I wouldn't argue vigorously against the others though.

steelerfan
08-08-2010, 03:05 AM
He seems to not have as much zip on the ball

That is EXACTLY what I've heard in regards to the rumors.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 03:32 AM
They're all garbage. The Bungles have had 2 winning seasons in 20 years, that point sells itself, lol. They're 128-207-1 since the AFC Championship year of 1988. I wouldn't argue vigorously against the others though.

How are the Rams not part of the worst team conversation... they have just been awful the past two seasons!

Rudy
08-08-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't see TO blowing up on the Bengals. He was working out with Carson in California from what I heard and Carson pushed for the signing.

Quite frankly Carson Palmer is over-rated. Much like Bledsoe most of his career. These guys used their #1 draft pick status and a great 2nd year to their career to grab the label of elite QB. They were good QBs but I don't think those guys deserved to be called elite QBs or Top 5 QBs in the league. Bledsoe was really over-rated (career 77 passer rating and he couldn't run worth squat) while Carson is only slightly over-rated. Carson hasn't had one of those great years in awhile. I know some of you think it's due to injury but I think you have to prove yourself over more than two years to get the benefit of the doubt.

It just bugs me how a guy gets picked first overall and he automatically gets the benefit of the doubt for the first 5 years of his career. You still have people refusing to admit David Carr sucks.

steelerfan
08-08-2010, 09:00 AM
How are the Rams not part of the worst team conversation... they have just been awful the past two seasons!

The Rams won the Super Bowl following the 99 season. What we're seeing with them has been short lived. The Bungles have been horrible for 20+ years with the exception of last year (when they faded tremendously down the stretch) and 05 when they were 1 and done in the playoffs.

UGA14
08-08-2010, 09:09 AM
David Carr sucks.

I'm ready to see some football. So don't care if tonight's game is all 8th stringers, it will be good to finally see football again.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 02:57 PM
The Rams won the Super Bowl following the 99 season. What we're seeing with them has been short lived. The Bungles have been horrible for 20+ years with the exception of last year (when they faded tremendously down the stretch) and 05 when they were 1 and done in the playoffs.

True enough but if we're talking worst team on the field for last year it has to be the Rams!

ram29jackson
08-11-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't see TO blowing up on the Bengals. He was working out with Carson in California from what I heard and Carson pushed for the signing.

Quite frankly Carson Palmer is over-rated. Much like Bledsoe most of his career. These guys used their #1 draft pick status and a great 2nd year to their career to grab the label of elite QB. They were good QBs but I don't think those guys deserved to be called elite QBs or Top 5 QBs in the league. Bledsoe was really over-rated (career 77 passer rating and he couldn't run worth squat) while Carson is only slightly over-rated. Carson hasn't had one of those great years in awhile. I know some of you think it's due to injury but I think you have to prove yourself over more than two years to get the benefit of the doubt.

It just bugs me how a guy gets picked first overall and he automatically gets the benefit of the doubt for the first 5 years of his career. You still have people refusing to admit David Carr sucks.

whats interesting is the Bengals are ranked /graded an 89 in Madden... and I doubt 2 high rated receivers make an entire teams rating that high. So I wonder how they ranked/rated the the other players?

Rudy
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I really want to see how Jermaine Gresham does with the Bengals. The guy was a stud in college. The Bengals haven't had a decent pass catching TE in a long time. They have had a couple good receivers but they haven't really had any other weapons.

The Bengals have a few good receivers but adding Gresham will really help the passing game. I've always felt two good receiving targets will give you a good passing game and three can make you unstoppable. A target can be a great WR or TE and even a great pass catching RB out of the backfield.

steelerfan
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I really want to see how Jermaine Gresham does with the Bengals. The guy was a stud in college. The Bengals haven't had a decent pass catching TE in a long time. They have had a couple good receivers but they haven't really had any other weapons.

The Bengals have a few good receivers but adding Gresham will really help the passing game. I've always felt two good receiving targets will give you a good passing game and three can make you unstoppable. A target can be a great WR or TE and even a great pass catching RB out of the backfield.

I'm hoping Gresham has lingering injury issues, Palmer's legs are dead, and one of the 2 (or both) wideouts blow(s) up.

Of couse, I'm biased.

jaymo76
08-13-2010, 12:22 AM
My Raiders are one step closer to the super bowl after tonight's pre-season vs. Dallas! LOL. Seriously though, I love me team BUT man that game was painful to watch. I know it's preseason but "ugh" that was just bad.

JBHuskers
08-13-2010, 09:54 AM
I dunno if it is blind faith in my team DA BEARS. But I am fairly content with Hester, Knox, Aromashodu, and Bennett mixed in with Mike Martz. I honestly think Aromashodu can turn into a superstar with Hester being a Wes Welker type and Knox being the home run threat.

jaymo76
08-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I dunno if it is blind faith in my team DA BEARS. But I am fairly content with Hester, Knox, Aromashodu, and Bennett mixed in with Mike Martz. I honestly think Aromashodu can turn into a superstar with Hester being a Wes Welker type and Knox being the home run threat.

Are you a believer in Jay Cutler? The guy has a lot of skill but he just rubs me the wrong way.

JBHuskers
09-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Big Ben suspension reduced to 4 games. Glad I drafted him as my backup in fantasy football :D

JBHuskers
09-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Are you a believer in Jay Cutler? The guy has a lot of skill but he just rubs me the wrong way.

Ummm somewhat cuz he's the best QB talent-wise that Da Bears have had in forever.

Rudy
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Ummm somewhat cuz he's the best QB talent-wise that Da Bears have had in forever.

That doesn't say a whole lot though. :)

Martz' offense is good BUT he requires tackles that can pass block a lot due to deep drops. Olsen is not a good fit for the type of TE he likes. He prefers blocking TEs and throwing to the slot instead. Cutler has been sacked a ton in the preseason. Preseason doesn't mean much but I would be concerned for Cutler's health. QBs in that system get shell shocked after taking a beating. Warner was great his first few years with the Rams but he needed to get his nerve back after he went to the Giants. Bulger is shot mentally now as well.

JBHuskers
09-03-2010, 12:09 PM
That doesn't say a whole lot though. :)

nope...see Erik Kramer

jaymo76
09-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Sounds as though Leinart will be released today. Talk about a fall from grace...

morsdraconis
09-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Sounds as though Leinart will be released today. Talk about a fall from grace...

Definitely gone and I can't say it's anyone's fault but his own. When you play as bad has he has, you're not going to get a starting gig.

JeffHCross
09-04-2010, 10:31 PM
He's played better than Derek Anderson ...

SmoothPancakes
09-04-2010, 11:18 PM

Yeah, Derek Anderson really has not done much. Sure, he had a good year with Cleveland in 2007, but that was pretty much it. It's been downhill and progressively worse the last two years. Could Derek Anderson have a repeat of 2007? Sure. But until he does, I view that season as a fluke in terms of his skill and play. The rest of his years in the league, it's been one disappointment after another.

Rudy
09-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Matt Leinart = Joey Harrington. They check down too much and their own team doesn't like them.

How 'bout them Dolphins? They release their 2nd and 3rd rounder from last year. Pat White = fail. He wasn't a true QB prospect but they seemed to give up on the WildPat/spread schemes they envisioned. Patrick Turner, 3rd round WR from USC, was cut in favour of two undrafted WRs they like. Turner was too slow and couldn't beat the jam good enough despite having good size. At least Brian Hartline, 4th round WR from OSU, panned out well and is starting. A solid #2 guy.

morsdraconis
09-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I knew White didn't have a chance. The dude is 190 soaking wet and 6'0" tall if he's lucky and his accuracy is TERRIBLE. Pretty bad when your best game throwing the ball is the last one of the season (the first time that WVU actually ran a god damn slant route). Watching their anemic offense once again yesterday just reminded me of how incredibly stupid our offensive coordinator is...

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I saw one report a few hours ago that LeGarrette Blount had made the Titans roster ... now within the last hour he's been released. Ouch. That's a punch to the gut.

;)

SmoothPancakes
09-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I saw one report a few hours ago that LeGarrette Blount had made the Titans roster ... now within the last hour he's been released. Ouch. That's a punch to the gut.

;)

:D

Well played good sir, well played.

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
"Punch to the mouth" would have been more appropriate, but I liked the subtlety. Plus, punch to the gut is a known cliche.

JBHuskers
09-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Barry Turner didn't make the Bears....prob cuz he was spending too much time at my strip club :D

JBHuskers
09-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Here's the list of the final cutdown....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81a25abd/article/cutdown-day-teams-release-players-to-reach-53man-roster?module=HP_headlines

steelerfan
09-06-2010, 01:22 AM

How do you figure?

JeffHCross
09-06-2010, 02:58 PM
How do you figure?His preseason stats have been better than Anderson. That's really the only metric I can go by, considering that they were on different teams last year.

Though, as a Browns fan ... I'm confident most quarterbacks are better than Derek Anderson. Just not Brady Quinn.

steelerfan
09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
His preseason stats have been better than Anderson. That's really the only metric I can go by, considering that they were on different teams last year.

Though, as a Browns fan ... I'm confident most quarterbacks are better than Derek Anderson. Just not Brady Quinn.

Well, I saw a breakdown of Leinart's numbers and it is extremely apparent that his numbers are all from checkdowns. IIRC, they said his average pass traveled 2.8 yards in the air during the preseason, lol.

Rudy
09-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Peter King wrote in his column last week that defenders were betting that Leinart would just check down when they were playing against him. That's the one flaw of the passer rating. It gives a positive result to a 5 yard completion on a dump off on a 3rd and 10. Guys like Marino used to constantly throw the ball away to avoid sacks and yet the passer rating penalized him for that. I think sacks allowed should be a part of the equation as well. Many times sacks are due to the QB and not just the OL. Quite frankly every QB stat is related to the players around him so why not account for sacks and penalize the guy that holds on to the ball too long? Marino used to throw the ball more than anyone and had the lowest sack rate with a mediocre OL.

JeffHCross
09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Passer Rating is completely screwed. Everybody knows it, but there's not a better method without much more precise statistics. Well, there are some that are still better (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?96-Rating-Quarterback-Decision-Making). After all, you can't get much worse.

morsdraconis
09-06-2010, 05:36 PM
FootballOutsiders does a WONDERFUL job of determining outside of the passer rating. They're, by far, my favorite website for a more objective look at player stats and football in general.

morsdraconis
09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
So what's your thoughts on Dixon as the starter Steelerfan?

Haven't had a chance to watch many of their preseason games this year so I don't know much about him.

JeffHCross
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
FootballOutsiders does a WONDERFUL job of determining outside of the passer rating.Yep, FO is amazing. However, they rely on ridiculously precise statistics, which aren't available to the rest of us.

But I do love their site, and frequently visited them when I was doing all my work on the '95 team.

steelerfan
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
So what's your thoughts on Dixon as the starter Steelerfan?

Haven't had a chance to watch many of their preseason games this year so I don't know much about him.

Well, as I've said, no one is better equipped to lose their QB than Pittsburgh. Leftwich, Dixon and Batch is remarkable depth. I like Dixon, he played well (until the OT interception) in Baltimore last year. He has a ton of athletic ability and he can do alot of things that other QBs cannot.

That being said, I'd be more comfortable with Leftwich starting and Dixon being #2 for some situations (Wildcat anyone?). The silly #3 QB rule in the NFL hurts a guy like him. Unless he goes off, he'll likely slip to #3 when Ben and Byron are back. Being #3, they can't use him until the 4th quarter without leaving him in.

If the Steelers can beat the Falcons, Titans or Ravens, I don't think they'll be hurting. I fully expect them to beat the Buccaneers, so 2-2 would be a nice start without Ben. We'll see what happens, but I suspect Dixon will make a few more great plays than bad ones. Overall, he had a great camp, the mistakes he made against Denver were things a young guy does (forcing the ball in the end zone, throwing too late to the outside). Hopefully, his mistakes don't turn into huge gaffes that cost the Steelers, but that remains to be seen.

JeffHCross
09-06-2010, 08:02 PM
I'd take Dixon over Leftwich because the Pittsburgh line can't protect worth a damn lately. Dixon might be able to escape the pressure. Leftwich is just a target.

steelerfan
09-06-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd take Dixon over Leftwich because the Pittsburgh line can't protect worth a damn lately. Dixon might be able to escape the pressure. Leftwich is just a target.

You'd take any of them over Delhomme :P

The truth is that Ben's escapability combined with him holding on to the ball looking to make plays (which has been a huge part of his success and I'd never frown on it) has made the line look much worse than they have been. They're more middle of the road than bottom of the barrel than people think. I do know that Pouncey is going to be a huge upgrade over Hartwig, I've seen it already.

JeffHCross
09-06-2010, 10:06 PM
You'd take any of them over Delhomme :P Honestly, until last year I liked Jake a lot.

And no, I wouldn't take Leftwich over him. I wouldn't take Leftwich or Batch over anyone.

Dennis Dixon is your best bet.

steelerfan
09-06-2010, 11:10 PM
Honestly, until last year I liked Jake a lot.

And no, I wouldn't take Leftwich over him. I wouldn't take Leftwich or Batch over anyone.

Dennis Dixon is your best bet.

Dixon is just that - a bet, a roll of the dice. Leftwich and Batch have a ton of experience and have both served the Steelers well when needed.

Not taking Leftwich or Batch "over anyone" is laughable.

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Not taking Leftwich or Batch "over anyone" is laughable.Okay, it's probably an exaggeration. But there aren't too many active NFL QBs that I wouldn't take before Leftwich or Batch.

Curtis Painter being an obvious example of someone I would not take over those two. :D

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Batch, at this point, I get. I'm not sure ther are many backups who have the skill/experience combo of Leftwich though. Not that there aren't any.

1-3 (or 1-4), no one can match Pittsburgh. And that's not a homerism, I call a spade a spade...even with the Steelers.

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
:: shrug :: I've never been sold on Leftwich, not since he left Marshall at least. So it's probably just bias creeping in here.

Come to think of it ... I haven't really been sold on a single Jaguars quarterback ... ever.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
:: shrug :: I've never been sold on Leftwich, not since he left Marshall at least. So it's probably just bias creeping in here.

Come to think of it ... I haven't really been sold on a single Jaguars quarterback ... ever.

I hated facing Brunnell, I know that much.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Well, Texans certainly made a statement today. Could the talking heads on ESPN be right and the Texans actually be a threat to win their division and make some noise in the playoffs? Or was this just the Texans doing enough to claim the win over the Colts on opening weekend?

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I hated facing Brunnell, I know that much.Well ... of the Jags QBs, Brunnell is probably the one I was closest to sold on. He was a good game-manager, which is a talent in its own.

Well, Texans certainly made a statement today. Could the talking heads on ESPN be right and the Texans actually be a threat to win their division and make some noise in the playoffs? Or was this just the Texans doing enough to claim the win over the Colts on opening weekend?I've definitely going to be interesting in watching those highlights, but based on what little I heard of the game, it sounded like the Texans showed up.

I'd also be afraid of the Lions in the NFC North. Their talent level is growing, quickly.

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah, the Lions have been the punching bag for a while now, but some of their picks up in the NFL draft in recent years, along with free agents has made them a much improved team. I don't see them getting to the playoffs this year, or even in the next year or two, but their time is coming.

Also, I know the 49ers were getting a TON of love in the preseason. Well, right now makes you wonder if that love was a little bit premature. 49ers right now getting smacked around by Seattle.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford and Jahvid Best is a lethal offense. Sure, they need another weapon, and I'm not sure who's on their O-Line, but still ... that's a lethal "O".

Now they've got Suh ... my word, that's a cornerstone for your defense.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Slightly weird thing ... in the intros for the Redskins offensive players just now, at least two guys gave high schools rather than colleges. One of 'em, Sellers, was a JUCO. Is that normal for JUCO guys?

steelerfan
09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Lots of guys have been doing that in their intros for several years now. I can remember that Larry Foote always said "Detroit Pershing Doughboys". Willie Parker also said his high school, but that was because he's not big on his alma mater (UNC) because he didn't play much due to a grudge with the idiot coaching staff.

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Strange. I don't recall noticing it before tonight.

Though, I don't normally watch the Sunday or Monday night games.

steelerfan
09-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Strange. I don't recall noticing it before tonight.

Though, I don't normally watch the Sunday or Monday night games.

My favorite is Gary Brackett who says "The R", because everyone knows 'The R' is Rutgers. :dunno::D:D

JeffHCross
09-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, at the very least I can't think of any other school I would think it was :D

steelerfan
09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Well, at the very least I can't think of any other school I would think it was :D

True, I guess I should have said "everyone knows Rutgers as The R." :nod::D

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford and Jahvid Best is a lethal offense. Sure, they need another weapon, and I'm not sure who's on their O-Line, but still ... that's a lethal "O".

Now they've got Suh ... my word, that's a cornerstone for your defense.

That D-line was impressive yesterday. They are on the way up within the next year or two I think.

Granted I'm a Bears fan, I was all ready to accept the loss, but the call was correct in accordance of the rule for the Calvin Johnson catch. Regardless of your opinion on the rule, it was called correct. Not happy? Petition the NFL to change the rule LOL

steelerfan
09-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Yep, it was the right call. The rule is flimsy (why wasn't it applied to the Saints in the Super Bowl?) but I knew it was no catch before the ruling. It was funny to watch "Hot Head Lions Fan" go ape shit at the local drinking establishment.

JBHuskers
09-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Yep, it was the right call. The rule is flimsy (why wasn't it applied to the Saints in the Super Bowl?) but I knew it was no catch before the ruling. It was funny to watch "Hot Head Lions Fan" go ape shit at the local drinking establishment.

Considering they should be used to it by now.

steelerfan
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Considering they should be used to it by now.

No shit.

JBHuskers
09-14-2010, 12:42 PM
Soapbox of the Week:

Seriously Ines Sainz? Harassment claims against the Jets? :D :D :D

A source inside the clubhouse just said there was a lot of catcalls and whistling going on and her boobs were basically pouring out of her low-cut shirt. Next time you go into a NFL locker room, try to not wear jeans that you need a crowbar to get in and out of, and cover up your boobs if you don't wanna get comments about how hot you are.

She proclaims herself to be the hottest sports reporter in Mexico, and yes she's hot....but if you go about proclaiming yourself that, then you need to take comments about how hot you are in stride. All this equals attention whore to me, that and she's trying to get her name out there to get a bigger paycheck in the US. Next thing you know, she's going to claim her hotel room has a reverse peep hole so she can cash in a ticket to Dancing with the Stars.

/endrant :D

EDIT ... found this :D

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0901/sports-reporters-ines-sainz-epic-hot-sports-reporter-demotivational-poster-1233164669.jpg

morsdraconis
09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Wow, she's definitely smokin' hot, but I completely agree. More bullshit attention whore shit.

steelerfan
09-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Agreed. Whore. Attention Whore. Looking for a payday.

BiGTooT
09-14-2010, 03:17 PM
And a payday she will get

JBHuskers
09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm in a soapbox mood today .... one of my last tweets:

I think Reggie Bush should forfeit his Heisman as much as Kim Kardashian should forfeit her ass.....

JBHuskers
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Kolb failed concussion test. Bradley did too, but is better along than Kolb.

I am ALL for this rule where a third-party doctor has to clear the players as well as the team doctors. If they don't practice, they don't play.

I'm guessing Vick will get to start for the next two weeks.

steelerfan
09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Leftwich did some work in practice today. They're going to see how his knee responds tomorrow to gauge how long he'll be out.

SmoothPancakes
09-19-2010, 03:13 PM
There's the Browns everyone knows and loves. Always snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. :D

Edit - As well, Kerry Collins is a dumbass. 9 seconds left, 3rd and 20 on the Pittsburgh 41 yard line, you have no timeouts and you must score a touchdown to win, you don't throwing short ass pass to your HB at the line of scrimmage! You can't dump it off and hope your guy can run the ball ahead 40 yards somehow for the TD.

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Leftwich did some work in practice today. They're going to see how his knee responds tomorrow to gauge how long he'll be out.Three days later, they cut him. Though they're expected to re-sign him tomorrow.

Rudy
09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
Big win for Miami. Too conservative on offense but they ran the ball decent but the defense played great. AP got off for some nice runs but Favre threw a bunch of picks. He was forcing it too much. He really misses Rice as the Vikings receivers just weren't getting open. Favre is used to forcing balls in to players but the improved Dolphins secondary picked those off. If Ricky and Ronnie don't fumble those two balls (Ricky on their own 2 yard line) the game wouldn't have been as close.

steelerfan
09-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Three days later, they cut him. Though they're expected to re-sign him tomorrow.

I dunno if you watch the NFL, but this is a common way that teams circumvent the system (in the first 6 weeks of the season) to bring a player up from the practice squad. Leftwich will be re-signed tomorrow.

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 08:40 PM
I dunno if you watch the NFL, but this is a common way that teams circumvent the system (in the first 6 weeks of the season) to bring a player up from the practice squad. Leftwich will be re-signed tomorrow.Oh, I knew. It's one of those practices that I don't enjoy though. But I knew exactly why.

JeffHCross
09-26-2010, 07:57 PM
oops

UGA14
09-27-2010, 07:48 AM
Well since my college team has basically all but abandoned any resemblance of actual football (and instead plays some powder puff shit where they lose every game and don't deserve to wear the 'G' on the side of their helmets) I have turned all of my attention to the NFL.

So, yesterday was actually decent with ATL beating NO. Sure, we got a gift on the field goal miss, but we played very well up to that point to be in contention to win. Nice to finally beat NO in NO. It's been a long time since that happened. Hopefully we can take the momentum and keep rolling.

JBHuskers
09-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Big game tonight between Da Bears and Packers. Then Da Bears are on NBC next Sunday night.....very awesome that I have gotten to see the first four games on TV.

steelerfan
09-27-2010, 04:58 PM
How about Charlie Batch!? He was fantastic. The Bucs 2-0 start was clearly a product of who they played. 2-0 today, 5-11 tomorrow.

Rudy
09-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Chad Henne misfired on a few long passes last night that ticked me off. He played well otherwise. The Dolphins safeties did a horrible job on Keller but every TE exposes Miami. The special teams were brutal. I really do question the play calling of Miami. I like the fact they opened it up more against the Jets and you should because they press so much but when you get down to the 3 yard line you should try to pound the ball a little more.

The Wildcat sucked last night. I do like the Wildcat but I don't see why they run the man in motion ALL the time. Furthermore, I don't think they run it properly. The first year Ronnie Brown never ran an option. All of the play calls dictated where the ball goes. Plus Ronnie is pretty bad at throwing so that threat is gone. Brad Smith will be a great threat for the Jets since he was a college QB.

steelerfan
09-27-2010, 08:36 PM
On that note, Rudy, the Steelers ran a couple Wildcat plays with Randle El yesterday. I'm glad to see them finally exploring that avenue.

steelerfan
09-27-2010, 11:42 PM
Dude, JB, big win for your Bears tonight! I didn't get to see much of the game, but I'm really surprised they beat the Packers. That win sets Chicago up to be a real factor in the NFC North this year, which I didn't believe would be the case.

JBHuskers
09-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Dude, JB, big win for your Bears tonight! I didn't get to see much of the game, but I'm really surprised they beat the Packers. That win sets Chicago up to be a real factor in the NFC North this year, which I didn't believe would be the case.

:))

I wasn't surprised at the outcome, mainly because I got a good look at what they could do with Dallas. I really wasn't sure how the outcome would be, figured it could go either way here, but man it was a hell of a game. Only undefeated team in the NFC right now!

steelerfan
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
As anyone would imagine, I'm extremely happy with the Steelers 3-1 start without Ben. I can't wait to see him back in action on 10/17. Bring on the Clowns!

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Man Da Bears looked like complete dogshit last night....plus I bet on them so that made it even worse :D

steelerfan
10-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Man Da Bears looked like complete dogshit last night....plus I bet on them so that made it even worse :D

I have learned to never bet on my team unless it's part of a parlay and on the moneyline (which I wouldn't do unless they were a dog). I made some very good coin putting 2 dogs together (Pittsburgh and KC) in week 2, but that's the first time I've laid money on the Steelers in years. Bad Karma, lol.

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I have learned to never bet on my team unless it's part of a parlay and on the moneyline (which I wouldn't do unless they were a dog). I made some very good coin putting 2 dogs together (Pittsburgh and KC) in week 2, but that's the first time I've laid money on the Steelers in years. Bad Karma, lol.

Yeah I figured money line with the Bears at +160 would be good with their ability to exploit discipline problems which NYG had against TEN....oh well LOL I'm still playing with house money from referrals so it's all good.

steelerfan
10-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm still playing with house money

Attaboy!

steelerfan
10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Per a text I just got from the 4 letter network, foxsports.com is reporting that the Vikings are close to acquiring Randy Moss from New England.

JBHuskers
10-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Per a text I just got from the 4 letter network, foxsports.com is reporting that the Vikings are close to acquiring Randy Moss from New England.

Yep. for a 3rd rounder. Done deal.

steelerfan
10-07-2010, 12:09 PM
With Big Ben back in the fold, it's JB's turn to talk about his backup QB. I see Todd Collins will start for Jay Cutler (concussed) againt Carolina this weekend.

JBHuskers
10-07-2010, 12:18 PM
With Big Ben back in the fold, it's JB's turn to talk about his backup QB. I see Todd Collins will start for Jay Cutler (concussed) againt Carolina this weekend.

Blah...thank god it's against the Panthers.

steelerfan
10-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Blah...thank god it's against the Panthers.

I heard that. They've been competitive though. Maybe Peppers will go off against his old team.

JBHuskers
10-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I heard that. They've been competitive though. Maybe Peppers will go off against his old team.

Maybe the refs will allow the Bears to use 14 people on offense so they can add three more to the offensive line.

steelerfan
10-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Maybe the refs will allow the Bears to use 14 people on offense so they can add three more to the offensive line.

That didn't work for the Vols defense, lol.

JBHuskers
10-07-2010, 01:01 PM
LOL :smh:

Adam_Schefter But who's counting... RT @schellshocker16 Todd Collins will be 15th different starting QB in past 10 years for Bears...8th under Lovie

steelerfan
10-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Good to have Ben back. Good to give Cleveland another beat down. Good to be in first place.

The Steelers have two tough road games on the horizon (Miami and New Orleans). Should provide a good barometer of just where they are at this point.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 09:05 AM
The Sunday night game got a rating of 16 last night.....insane. Triple of the MLB Playoffs, 5x what the WWE gets just to put it in perspective.

morsdraconis
10-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I fuckin' hate Brett Favre now... God why couldn't he just fuckin' retire like any normal sane person would?

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
Rudy, you truly have my sympathies. That is a tough pill to swallow.

Rudy
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not that bothered by that call. People are making a big deal out of it but that's a tough situation. I have a much bigger problem with the rule call on the Calvin Johnson TD catch in Week 1 because common sense says that's a TD. On the Ben TD/fumble the officials ruled it a TD and blew the whistle. I can live with it.

I'm far more disappointed in some of the moves the Dolphins have made this year in terms of who they cut to save money and how they drafted. I just don't think they did their best to get a team ready for this year. They want to be a physical team and yet cut Jake Grove at C to save money. They dump Jason Taylor and show zero loyalty to long time players. I think they scape goated their special teams coach. I do like the addition of Brandon Marshall but what kind of team do you want to be? Do you want to be a physical team and pound the ball or are you going to wing it around? Their interior OL isn't good enough to pound the rock and their defense isn't good enough right now to give them the time to do it. It's a bit of a transition year and I'm still not sold on Henne as being a future Top 10 QB. I think he can be a decent QB but I don't think that's how you win Superbowls.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Bess sure is the real deal though. He'll be in NE in two years.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm not that bothered by that call. People are making a big deal out of it but that's a tough situation. I have a much bigger problem with the rule call on the Calvin Johnson TD catch in Week 1 because common sense says that's a TD. On the Ben TD/fumble the officials ruled it a TD and blew the whistle. I can live with it.

Somehow, I knew you'd have a common-sensical reaction to this. I know the ref's hands were tied and correct call was made. I also know, as a fan, it would be hard to take if the the shoe were on the other foot.

I knew that was gonna be a tough game. The injury to Aaron Smith is devastating. Anyone who follows the Steelers knows what he means to their defense. He went out and, suddenly, Miami was ripping off 10 yard runs. I hope that Ziggy Hood and Nick Eason can make it an inconvenience instead of an issue.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Bess sure is the real deal though. He'll be in NE in ten years.

Fixed. You know NE only signs old FAs. :P

In all seriousness, I commented to my buddy before, during, and after the game about how good Bess is. He's a guy that is going to have a long, productive career.

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Fixed. You know NE only signs old FAs. :P

In all seriousness, I commented to my buddy before, during, and after the game about how good Bess is. He's a guy that is going to have a long, productive career.

:D I was more point to when NE signed Welker who wasn't that old when he became a Pat. Wasn't he like 26 or 27?

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 01:24 PM
:D I was more point to when NE signed Welker who wasn't that old when he became a Pat. Wasn't he like 26 or 27?

:D I hear ya.

BTW, I have half as much at stake with the NY Giants tonight (2 teamer with NE, thank you Kris Miss) as you do with the SF Giants. GO GIANTS!

JBHuskers
10-25-2010, 01:30 PM
:D I hear ya.

BTW, I have half as much at stake with the NY Giants tonight (2 teamer with NE, thank you Kris Miss) as you do with the SF Giants. GO GIANTS!

I take pride in my fantasy football group as being the first guy to discover Wes Welker :D when he was in Miami. That was because the league gave a point per 10 return yards LOL, and he had 50 catches the year prior.

Rudy
10-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Welker was actually a restricted free agent that the Dolphins traded to NE for a 2nd rounder. I thought it was a great deal at the time and never thought Welker would be as good as he was. Bess is similar to him in a lot of ways. Quick but not fast. He's not at Welker's level obviously but the Dolphins have a decent amount of offensive weapons although nobody has any speed. A guy like Wallace from Pitt would be awesome to have. That guy can flat out fly and Ben showed how good a QB he is. I've always thought he's been very under-rated as a QB.

steelerfan
10-25-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, Rudy, your clarification of how NE acquired Welker keeps the "old FAs" rhetoric intact. :D

Yes, Mike Wallace has scary speed. 21 games into his career, he has already made a ton of huge plays. With him, Ward, Miller, and re-acquiring Randle El, the Steelers don't miss Holmes at all. Emmanuel Sanders (though he fumbled away the opening kick yesterday) has been a pleasant surprise as well. He and Antonio Brown have a nice little weekly competition going to grab the last active WR spot on gamedays.

Ben is a top notch QB. He was a little off yesterday, but he made some big time throws when the game was up for grabs. I've gotten to the point where I'm surprised when he doesn't pull through in those situations.

jaymo76
10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Dallas Cowboys panic button officially pushed!!! Ouch tonight's game was ugly with a capital U. Now with Romop possibly missing some games big D could really go for a slide. If I were Wade Phillips I would start working on a resumes ASAP.

cdj
10-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Dallas Cowboys panic button officially pushed!!! Ouch tonight's game was ugly with a capital U. Now with Romop possibly missing some games big D could really go for a slide. If I were Wade Phillips I would start working on a resumes ASAP.

- I'm surprised Wade has been there as long as he has. Never been too high on him.

- After the injury 'Tony Homo' was a trending topic on twitter. I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry.

steelerfan
10-26-2010, 01:06 AM
- After the injury 'Tony Homo' was a trending topic on twitter.

Is that the guy from The Ballad of *** Tony? :P

Big thanks for the win go out to the Giants!

steelerfan
10-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Ths Steelers announced today that Aaron Smith had surgery on his partially torn triceps. He is out indefinitely, but the Steelers aren't placing him on IR yet. They are hopeful he may return.

I will keep my fingers crossed.

Rudy
10-26-2010, 04:38 PM
Why does the NFL only use 53 man rosters with no IR? I know teams used to stash guys but they need to have an 8 game IR with how violent the sport is. I hate seeing guys put on IR too soon just because a team wants to save a roster spot. In some ways I think the NFL wants to limit rosters to control costs and yet teams have about 99 coaches. Heck the Dolphins had an assistant special teams coach and a full time one. Most college teams don't have either. The NFL can save money by getting rid of a few extra coaches if that's an issue.

steelerfan
10-27-2010, 02:47 PM
When a player goes on IR, he is still paid. So, adding a player to replace him actually increases costs. I agree there should be a form of IR that is not season-ending though.

Also, under the last CBA the salary cap had a floor and a ceiling based on the players getting a certain percentage of the league's total revenue. Adding roster spots would likely cause the players to demand a higher percentage of the revenue (otherwise average salaries would drop). So, I believe, the way the rosters are structured are to give coaches an adequate number of bodies, players the highest average salaries and owners the ability to maintain as big a cut of the profits as possible. Owners wouldn't be happy if the rosters were expanded to 60 and they had to give up another point or two of the profit pie. Players wouldn't be happy if the rosters were expanded to 60 and they had to divide their existing portion by an additional 224 players. The only ones happy would be the additional 224 players who now had jobs, but they aren't part of the NFLPA (since they are unemployed) and therefore have no voice.

Rudy
10-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Only the top paid 51 players count against the cap in the current system. And the NFL screws some of the lesser known players by forcing them to sign split contracts - one where they get paid less if on injured reserve (see point two: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8085ee3e/article/even-in-the-offseason-nfl-education-never-ends). I'm not saying they should go to 60 but what's more important to a team? An extra roster spot taken by a cheap rookie for depth or that quality control coach or nickel coach? NFL coaching staffs have risen in numbers and so have coaching salaries.

steelerfan
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you, Rudy. I'm just explaining my understanding of why things are the way they are. 51 may only count against the cap, but everyone gets paid. Whether it's player 52 and 53 or players 52-60, that money has to come from somewhere. The existing players aren't going to take less to create more jobs. Why many owners buy into the need for an Assistant Hands Team Quality Control Coordinator is beyond me.

jaymo76
10-31-2010, 05:10 PM
Green Bay 9 and the Jets ZERO. Wow! I didn't see that one coming. I didn't really enjoy the game too much but Green Bay's D was simply awesome.

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
That was a very lackluster, disappointing effort by the Steelers offense last night. They left 7 points on the field and, in general, made no relevant adjustments to the Saints' blitz-happy scheme that was designed to cover up for a depleted secondary. The Saints did what they had to do because of the hand they were dealt and Pittsburgh did nothing to punish them for it.

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Moss :D

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Moss :D

Yep! :D

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 02:29 PM
From Rich Eisen:

Looks like Chilli essentially told Moss: "You like the Patriots that much? Go play for them. If they'll have you back."

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 02:32 PM
From Rich Eisen:

Looks like Chilli essentially told Moss: "You like the Patriots that much? Go play for them. If they'll have you back."

Wow. LMAO!

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 03:01 PM
Here's my top 5 of where I think Moss will go: 1) Oakland 2) Washington 3) Chicago 4) New England 5) Kansas City

skipwondah33
11-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Yep...it was Belichicks plan all along lol

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Here's my top 5 of where I think Moss will go: 1) Oakland 2) Washington 3) Chicago 4) New England 5) Kansas City

I wouldn't count out Baltimore, Dallas, Cincinnati or Buffalo. Hell, even the Jets.

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't count out Baltimore, Dallas, Cincinnati or Buffalo. Hell, even the Jets.

I don't think a team that won't make the playoffs will spend $6.4M to claim him off waivers. I think teams that need a small boost to push them will claim him.

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 03:46 PM
My reply was based more on "teams that continually sign high-risk players that don't pan out".

Baltimore makes sense under both of our parameters, and they have a need.

Dallas and Cincinnati likely believe they are a "small boost" away from glory. These teams have moronic ownership (for differing reasons) and are notorious for these kinds of assanine moves.

You're probably right about Buffalo unless they thought they could get a multi-year deal in place. But, any team that signed TO (other than the Niners because they didn't know he was a cancer) has to be on the radar. I guess Philly could be lumped in for this reason.

The Jets don't need a WR, or another jerk off, but Rex Ryan is probably spouting explatives after getting shut out and the Jets have treated their roster like a fantasy roster since he got there. Therefore, it's fun to put them on the list.

jaymo76
11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

No I would take Okland off that list. Maybe just maybe they have learned from past mistakes...???...

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 08:01 PM
No I would take Okland off that list. Maybe just maybe they have learned from past mistakes...???...

I would think so. But, I would've said the same about Minnesota a month ago.

JeffHCross
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
I wouldn't count out Baltimore, Dallas, Cincinnati or Buffalo. Hell, even the Jets.Cincinnati has Chad Johnson, Owens, and Shipley in the slot. They won't add another receiver this year. Even Moss.

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 09:45 PM

Not as long as Al Davis still runs the team. I'm actually moving KC ahead of Oakland, but just read on ESPN Insider that the Titans could make a play for him if he falls down to that point.

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Cincinnati has Chad Johnson, Owens, and Shipley in the slot. They won't add another receiver this year. Even Moss.

I agree that it makes no sense. I also know that Cincinnati has a history of non-sensical moves. They're on the list for the same reasons as the Jets. It's senseless, but I'm not sure they can resist the impulse buy.

steelerfan
11-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Not as long as Al Davis still runs the team. I'm actually moving KC ahead of Oakland, but just read on ESPN Insider that the Titans could make a play for him if he falls down to that point.

I forgot about the Titans. They're constantly chasing name receivers, and losing out. They may lose out again (which, is actually winning in this case) due to that 5-3 mark.

I hope a list of who put in claims comes out, assuming he's claimed.

JBHuskers
11-01-2010, 11:23 PM
He'll go on waivers tomorrow, papers weren't filed in time today.

jaymo76
11-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Some of these coaches/gm's need to make a stand and NOT sign a guy who has great talent but is a bad, bad influence in the room. These types of players can destroy a team and divide a locker room. Best thing for the NFL... let Moss sit there on waivers, regardless of talent.

steelerfan
11-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Some of these coaches/gm's need to make a stand and NOT sign a guy who has great talent but is a bad, bad influence in the room. These types of players can destroy a team and divide a locker room. Best thing for the NFL... let Moss sit there on waivers, regardless of talent.

Some teams do.

The traditional list of teams who do not:
Dallas, Oakland, Cincinnati, Washington

List of teams who try, but fail to sign these guys:
Baltimore, Tennessee

(Dis)Honorable Mentions:
Philadelphia, Minnesota, NY Jets

I guess you all heard that Washington worked JaMarcus Russell out. They must be looking for Grossman's backup. :D

steelerfan
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Moss to the Titans, per ESPN.

Also, I'm hearing Merriman to Buffalo.

Oneback
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Add Moss to Chris Johnson and Vince Young and that is going to be a scary team to try and defend.

jaymo76
11-03-2010, 06:19 PM
"Working out" and Jamarcus Russel don't go together. Last I heard he was orbiting around the 290 weight...

morsdraconis
11-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I guess you all heard that Washington worked JaMarcus Russell out. They must be looking for Grossman's backup. :D

I could have told you there was no way anything was going to happen from this. This is two things: 1. Shanahan giving a bit of a middle finger to Donovan. 2. The Redskins being nice and giving the guy a chance to show his stuff (Who's going to turn down someone who wants to have a tryout for your team? Especially on a bye week for the team anyway where they are trying out a bunch of different guys).

steelerfan
11-04-2010, 01:08 AM
I could have told you there was no way anything was going to happen from this. This is two things: 1. Shanahan giving a bit of a middle finger to Donovan. 2. The Redskins being nice and giving the guy a chance to show his stuff (Who's going to turn down someone who wants to have a tryout for your team? Especially on a bye week for the team anyway where they are trying out a bunch of different guys).

#1 is valid. #2 not so much. No one is going to work a guy out "to be nice", and there are at least 20 teams that would deny JaMarcus Russell a tryout at this point. He's fat, lazy, apparently not too smart, and a cough syrup fiend. This is about Shanahan. I'm shocked at how he has screwed up this whole situation. And that is coming from someone (me) who has a low opinion of McNabb.

jaymo76
11-04-2010, 10:57 PM
#1 is valid. #2 not so much. No one is going to work a guy out "to be nice", and there are at least 20 teams that would deny JaMarcus Russell a tryout at this point. He's fat, lazy, apparently not too smart, and a cough syrup fiend. This is about Shanahan. I'm shocked at how he has screwed up this whole situation. And that is coming from someone (me) who has a low opinion of McNabb.

Tongue in cheek... Russel is a bargain because you can use him as a 3rd string OR a starting Offensive tackle. Having suffered with Jamarcus these past few years I am very, very, very, very bitter. IMO Russell is #1 bust ever... move over Ryan Leaf.

steelerfan
11-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Tongue in cheek... Russel is a bargain because you can use him as a 3rd string OR a starting Offensive tackle. Having suffered with Jamarcus these past few years I am very, very, very, very bitter. IMO Russell is #1 bust ever... move over Ryan Leaf.

Pound for pound, Russell is the biggest bust ever! :P

jaymo76
11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Really looking forward to the Raiders KC game this week. Will the new Raiders show up and play like a team or will old habits crop back up and will they lay an egg? Also, I will be interested to see how the Raiders D can handle the Chiefs running game.

steelerfan
11-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Last night the Steelers became the first team in NFL history to hold their opponents to 75 or fewer rushing yards in each of the first 8 games of a season. :nod::)):drool::popcorn:

JeffHCross
11-10-2010, 03:26 PM
:popcorn::nod::smh:

http://deadspin.com/5680796/front-row-lap-dance-at-the-cowboys-game

JBHuskers
11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
:popcorn::nod::smh:

http://deadspin.com/5680796/front-row-lap-dance-at-the-cowboys-game

So T.O. WAS right when he said get your popcorn ready in the Big D. Her offense was the best in that stadium that day.

psuexv
11-12-2010, 09:17 AM
Don't know if there are any betting junkies on here but just heard the line on the Cowboys/Giants game is 13.5. Inter-division, huge rivalry.... I don't care how bad the 'Boys have played that's a good bet.

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Don't know if there are any betting junkies on here but just heard the line on the Cowboys/Giants game is 13.5. Inter-division, huge rivalry.... I don't care how bad the 'Boys have played that's a good bet.

:nod:

morsdraconis
11-12-2010, 11:53 AM
You'd be nuts to bet on the Cowboys making the line for that one. They'll be lucky to score 10 points against the Giants.

steelerfan
11-12-2010, 12:13 PM

That big a number in the NFL is usually a solid bet. But, Dallas is getting blown out consistently and the Giants are hot. Add in the coaching change in Dallas and I'm hesitant to trust how well/poorly Dallas will play. For me to give this one serious thought, it will have to climb above 14.

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Yeah I'm going to take a look at it and make a gametime decision....overs look mighty tasty at 44.5.

psuexv
11-12-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL - just saw this on NFL.com - Steve Smith is out for the Giants - -everything is pointing to taking it. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c0fa29/article/torn-pectoral-muscle-sidelines-giants-wr-smith-indefinitely?module=HP_headlines

Rudy
11-12-2010, 02:39 PM
The NFL pisses me off. If you watched the final two minutes of the Bal-ATL game last night you would see that Michael Jenkins double caught a ball while going out of bounds. They ruled it a catch and I thought it was pretty clear he didn't maintain possession with both feet down as there was a bobble. The replay guy rules it a catch. I don't get how that play was a catch but Calvin Johnson's TD catch in week 1 isn't. Stupid.

The NFL Network has two horrible announcers in Millen and Theismann. I simply hate Millen after his time in Detroit destroyed any credibility he had in terms of saying what a team needs to do to win or evaluating talent. I've always hated Theismann.

Well with under two minutes and Baltimore marching on Atlanta (losing 20-14) Millen says I don't believe in letting your opponent score a TD here. No shit Sherlock! You freaking moron. Of course you don't let Baltimore score when you are up 6 points. The only time you think of doing that is when you are up by only 1 or 2 points and they are looking at a chip shot FG. If you are leading by more than 3 points you don't let them score, certainly not when they were on the 20 yard line jackass.

Then Baltimore scores a TD to go up 21-20 and Millen correctly points out they may have scored too fast. Theismann, or should I call him jackass #2, says he doesn't believe in scoring too fast. "It's on your defense to stop them" he says. I guess he doesn't believe in any clock management then. Maybe he doesn't believe Ryan is as good as Peyton Manning. Either way time matters. Baltimore may not have had much choice in how much time was left but it does matter.

steelerfan
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm just glad the Ravens lost. :)):))

Particularly because I have a bad feeling about Pittsburgh's chances with a decimated O-line (Starks on IR, Kemoeatu doubtful) and D-line (Smith out, Keisel doubtful) facing a pissed off Patriot team.:dunno:

jaymo76
11-12-2010, 09:21 PM
The NFL pisses me off. If you watched the final two minutes of the Bal-ATL game last night you would see that Michael Jenkins double caught a ball while going out of bounds. They ruled it a catch and I thought it was pretty clear he didn't maintain possession with both feet down as there was a bobble. The replay guy rules it a catch. I don't get how that play was a catch but Calvin Johnson's TD catch in week 1 isn't. Stupid.

The NFL Network has two horrible announcers in Millen and Theismann. I simply hate Millen after his time in Detroit destroyed any credibility he had in terms of saying what a team needs to do to win or evaluating talent. I've always hated Theismann.

Well with under two minutes and Baltimore marching on Atlanta (losing 20-14) Millen says I don't believe in letting your opponent score a TD here. No shit Sherlock! You freaking moron. Of course you don't let Baltimore score when you are up 6 points. The only time you think of doing that is when you are up by only 1 or 2 points and they are looking at a chip shot FG. If you are leading by more than 3 points you don't let them score, certainly not when they were on the 20 yard line jackass.

Then Baltimore scores a TD to go up 21-20 and Millen correctly points out they may have scored too fast. Theismann, or should I call him jackass #2, says he doesn't believe in scoring too fast. "It's on your defense to stop them" he says. I guess he doesn't believe in any clock management then. Maybe he doesn't believe Ryan is as good as Peyton Manning. Either way time matters. Baltimore may not have had much choice in how much time was left but it does matter.

Come on Rudy, stop sugar coating it and tell us what you really think... seriously though, I am also bitter about the Detroit no catch. Inconsistency at its best...

Rudy
11-13-2010, 05:37 AM
One more thing while I'm ranting - will Roger Goodell stop saying he's trying to find a deal that's good for the players, the owners AND THE FANS. The NFL doesn't care about the fans. They only care about their fans' wallets. 99% of their decisions are based on squeezing the last dollar out of us so spare me the crap that they are trying to find a deal that's great for us. How about both sides take a 10% pay cut and lower ticket prices then? Won't happen. If the NFL really cared about us they wouldn't have an exclusive Sunday ticket package only available on Direct TV, wouldn't have blackout rules, wouldn't have an exclusive video game license, etc.

I know college football is driven a ton by money as are all big time sports but spare me that stupid line about doing what's best for the fans.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 04:46 PM
One more thing while I'm ranting - will Roger Goodell stop saying he's trying to find a deal that's good for the players, the owners AND THE FANS. The NFL doesn't care about the fans. They only care about their fans' wallets.For the sake of argument/clarity/Devil's Advocate ... weren't all those deals made under Tagliabue, not Goodell?

Rudy
11-13-2010, 09:43 PM
No doubt Jeff but Goodell is the one saying he's trying to make a deal that's good for the fans. The fans have nothing to do with the deal the players and owners will make other than how much money they get out of us.

JeffHCross
11-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, of course. But at the same time, Goodell appears (emphasis on appears) to be much more concerned about the image of the league than his predecessor. I could see him favoring a deal that at least saves face with the fans, rather than flipping us upside down and shaking money out of our pockets.

Rudy
11-15-2010, 04:20 AM
Miami chooses to bench Henne for Pennington (I was fine with this as I'm not sure Henne is the answer) and Pennington goes down on the second play with his 4th shoulder injury. I don't even see how he hurt his shoulder on that play. Looked harmless. Henne goes back in and hurts his knee. Now Tyler Thigpen is the new starting QB and I do think he has potential.

I think there are a lot of young QBs without the high draft pedigree that could do something if given a chance. It's nice to see Troy Smith get an opportunity in SF. I still wonder how long Warner would have had to wait if Trent Green never got hurt. St. Louis thought so much of Warner before his first year they left him unprotected in the expansion draft (or was it plan B free agency that year?).

Rudy
11-15-2010, 04:30 AM
Mangini cost the Browns the tie too. He should have just run it three times from his own 5 late in OT to kill the clock. Instead he tried two passes, one which was incomplete and stopped the clock. That gave the Jets 35 seconds and great field position and they won.

psuexv
11-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Straight cash homie!

JBHuskers
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Straight cash homie!

Yeah I took the money line actually :) +450 :))

steelerfan
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
So, ESPN says McNabb has agreed to a 5 yr, 78M extension with 40M guaranteed.

That seems like a lot to pay for a QB who your coach thinks is too dumb and too fat to run the 2-minute drill.

Rudy
11-15-2010, 05:29 PM
If Snyder gave McNabb that kind of money he's even dumber than I thought. He's old and fat now. The little I've seen him play he was lousy.

All I can think is that Shanahan will be leaving Washington in a buyout after this year. This makes no sense.

morsdraconis
11-15-2010, 05:59 PM
You guys are worse than the four letter network.

First it's terrible that we traded two picks for him because his contract ends after this season. Then we give him a contract on par with his talents and track record and it's the dumbest move ever and wasn't Shanahan's choice to resign him at all...

You've got to be fucking kidding me....

steelerfan
11-15-2010, 06:12 PM
You guys are worse than the four letter network.

First it's terrible that we traded two picks for him because his contract ends after this season. Then we give him a contract on par with his talents and track record and it's the dumbest move ever and wasn't Shanahan's choice to resign him at all...

You've got to be fucking kidding me....

Wtf are you talking about? From the start, I've said that Shanahan is wrong.

I'd guess this signing is Danny Boy's way of telling Shanahan that McNabb is more secure in his position than Mikey is. It's a "play my guy or go away" type of move. My comment about McNabb being dumb and fat was simply a reference to Shanahan's idiotic handling of the situation.

JeffHCross
11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Work tomorrow (with a fair amount of Redskins fans) is going to be verrrrrrrrrrrrry interesting. Luckily, I don't think we have any Iggles fans.

psuexv
11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
This game is out of control.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Dammit I almost was going to bet on the Eagles since Donovan got paid too :( stayed away from it :smh:

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Wtf are you talking about? From the start, I've said that Shanahan is wrong.

I'd guess this signing is Danny Boy's way of telling Shanahan that McNabb is more secure in his position than Mikey is. It's a "play my guy or go away" type of move. My comment about McNabb being dumb and fat was simply a reference to Shanahan's idiotic handling of the situation.

And you're a fuckin' moron for thinking Snyder had anything to do with McNabb coming to DC. Shanahan wanted McNabb and McNabb wanted to come to DC.

As for 95% of what was said about the whole situation, it was a lie and COMPLETELY made up by dumb ass journalists that care nothing more than putting something out there first no matter how incredibly wrong it is. Why in the name of god would we trade for the guy and give him a contract if we didn't want him here and think he was the best player available for the position? Nobody is that fuckin' stupid.

Stop reading stupid shit that dumb ass "journalists" from the four letter network write and read something from the mouth of the person it's actually about. There are plenty of articles in the Washington Post to look at that give the TRUE story of the situation, including Kyle and Mike Shanahan flat out saying that what was said about McNabb was a complete fuckin' lie (including some fucker called Mike Shanahan RACIST for benching. RACIST!?!?!). Mike just didn't want to throw the offensive line under the bus since THEY are the reason that McNabb has been terrible and why he got benched. The Lions' defensive line was absolutely killing McNabb (and his sprained hamstring) and instead of getting him destroyed out there, they went with the 2nd string QB. Everything else, was just Mike trying to take the heat away from the offensive line being the reason for the change at QB. It's really THAT simple. No hidden agendas. No bullshit.

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 02:29 AM
1. I never said that Daniel Snyder was the reason that Donovan McNabb came to DC.

2. No journalist made up the fact that Shanahan said McNabb didn't know the terminology to run the 2-minute drill.

3. No journalist made up the fact that Shanahan said McNabb didn't have the cardiovascular conditioning to run the 2-minute drill.

4. This organization has made dozens of personnel gaffes since Snyder bought them. They gave Haynesworth 100M to come off the bench, why not be stupid enough to screw this up too?

5. It's a bit like your toddler-esque, profanity-laced tyraids about Boise. Just because you scream and curse the most, it doesn't make you right. It just makes everyone realize that, no matter how valid your point, you're the "fuckin' moron".

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 02:39 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/15/mike-shanahan-tells-the-truth-about-lying/

Rudy
11-16-2010, 05:18 AM
5. It's a bit like your toddler-esque, profanity-laced tyraids about Boise. Just because you scream and curse the most, it doesn't make you right. It just makes everyone realize that, no matter how valid your point, you're the "fuckin' moron".

I've just accepted the fact that mors goes nuts for some reason about once every 10 days.

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 11:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/15/mike-shanahan-tells-the-truth-about-lying/

You're going to link PFT? ARE YOU FUCKIN' KIDDING ME? PFT? That's the biggest of bullshit football "journalism" EVER. PFT is drivel.

Like I said, the TRUTH is in the Washington Post, from the people that said it.

There are two quotes in that article and nothing with any meaning. Of course Mike isn't going to say the REAL reason for benching McNabb is he was playing injured and the offensive line was sucking testicles and he didn't want his investment to get more injured and ruin any chance we had of turning this season into something substantial to build on next year. What coach is going to willing throw the offensive line under the bus like that? A bad one.

You're still reading dumb ass reports man. Just stop. You have NO CLUE what's going on if you aren't reading what journalists have to say that actually cover the team for more than 24 hours (like Suzy Kolbert). And don't read Wilbon. He's got no clue what the hell is going on either. Reporting on the contract when he doesn't even know the setup of it.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/mcnabbs-agent-the-teams-belief.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/donovan-mcnabb/donovan-mcnabb-handles-benchin.html?wprss=redskinsinsider (that locker room is sure messed up by everything)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/08/AR2010110806540.html?hpid=topnews

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I've just accepted the fact that mors goes nuts for some reason about once every 10 days.

You have no clue what's going on either so just walk away.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 12:15 PM
As for 95% of what was said about the whole situation, it was a lie and COMPLETELY made up by dumb ass journalists that care nothing more than putting something out there first no matter how incredibly wrong it is. Why in the name of god would we trade for the guy and give him a contract if we didn't want him here and think he was the best player available for the position? Nobody is that fuckin' stupid.

This is actually wrong, I've listened to all three versions of Shanahan's stories via press conferences and then his son "setting the record straight". The racist part is definitely wrong.....but Steelerfan is spot on. This situation got the deal done and it was to tell Shanahan that McNabb is here to stay. Simply put Shanahan screwed up. Didn't want to own up to it, and it grew from there. Shanahan said himself points two and three made by Steelerfan above. Press conferences prove it. I really can't tell if Kyle Shanahan is telling the truth or just trying to do damage control with the press conference he did a few days later....why did it take him a few days to do it?

And enough of directing expletives to other members.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Also the McNabb trade is not because of Shanhan wanted him. Daniel Snyder offered Philly the best deal for McNabb and Philly took it. So it was mainly Snyder who brought McNabb to Washington.

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
What coach is going to willing throw the offensive line under the bus like that? A bad one.

So instead you throw the QB under the bus by saying he's stupid and out of shape? That's really, really assanine.

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Also the McNabb trade is not because of Shanhan wanted him. Daniel Snyder offered Philly the best deal for McNabb and Philly took it. So it was mainly Snyder who brought McNabb to Washington.

You know what? I tired of arguing. You, like everyone else in this thread about the Redskins, have no clue what you're talking about so I'm done. Believe what you want. Thank you what you want. Just know, that you're wrong.

JBHuskers
11-16-2010, 01:56 PM
You know what? I tired of arguing. You, like everyone else in this thread about the Redskins, have no clue what you're talking about so I'm done. Believe what you want. Thank you what you want. Just know, that you're wrong.

Actually I do know quite a bit about what I'm talking about :D

I know for a fact that it's Snyder's offer to Philly that got the deal done....it topped all other offers that were pretty much crap that were thrown Philly's way. Which is why they traded with a division rival. It was more Philly's way out, and it really had nothing to do with Shanahan at all.

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Actually I do know quite a bit about what I'm talking about :D

I know for a fact that it's Snyder's offer to Philly that got the deal done....it topped all other offers that were pretty much crap that were thrown Philly's way. Which is why they traded with a division rival. It was more Philly's way out, and it really had nothing to do with Shanahan at all.

And I know for a fact that you're wrong man. Believe me, I live and breathe Redskins. McNabb wouldn't be in DC if Shanaan wasn't ok with it because Shanahan is a "My way or the highway" kind of coach and wouldn't have it any other way.

I just have to laugh when you guys say that Snyder has anything to do with any of this beyond signing the checks. What the hell did he hire Allen for then?

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I just have to laugh when you guys say that Snyder has anything to do with any of this beyond signing the checks.

My point, and I think JB feels the same, is that the timing of announcing the McNabb extension seems to indicate that Snyder is telling Shanahan, "McNabb's future is in DC, play him if you want to be here too". There's no other logical explanation for announcing a signing (that had been hammered out last month) hours before kickoff. Even if it's just a rhetorical gesture to make it clear that McNabb is a big part of the future (though new revelations of only 3.5 M guaranteed suggest the 'Skins left themselves an out).

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 06:18 PM
The timing of the extension was definitely weird but wasn't unexpected.

Again, the fact that you guys think this anyone besides Shanahan and Bruce Allen making these decisions is just comical. I can assure you beyond a shadow of a doubt thatthe only thing Snyder has done with the Redskins since Allen and Shanahan were hired has been the business side of being the owner. He's had nothing else to do with it all since Gibbs came back in 04, but the media just LOVES to think that he still does.

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I thought Bruce Allen was hired to show a disgruntled fan base that a "disconnect" between past and present had not occurred under Snyder. My understanding was that he was just a blow-hard PR mouthpiece/puppet and that he has no real power whatsoever.

morsdraconis
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I thought Bruce Allen was hired to show a disgruntled fan base that a "disconnect" between past and present had not occurred under Snyder. My understanding was that he was just a blow-hard PR mouthpiece/puppet and that he has no real power whatsoever.

And you obviously just want to start crap because of your closet Dallas fandom so I'm done listening to your drivel so just go back to your rapist QB.

steelerfan
11-16-2010, 10:25 PM
And you obviously just want to start crap because of your closet Dallas fandom so I'm done listening to your drivel so just go back to your rapist QB.

Lol, whatever dude. That's easily the most ignorant statement you've ever made on these boards, which is saying quite a bit.

I said that in all honesty, it's what I've heard from day 1. Allen is a figure head, Shanahan is the final word on player personnel. If that's not true, correct me.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/39353/bruce-allen-redskins-gm-season-ticket-salesman-the-new-executive

Violator
11-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Actually that is slander. You can be taken to court over that since he was not convicted as a rapist. From reading all of this it seems to me that you don't like what is being said and since they have a differing opinion than you, you have decided to go to the typical internet road and tell people they dont know and that you know for a fact. Your words were you know for a fact, I would like to know where you got this fact from. I would love to see/read where this fact is from.

steelerfan
11-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Stay classy, Cleveland!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/16/eight-year-old-jets-fan-allegedly-tackled-while-leaving-browns-game/

psusnoop
11-17-2010, 09:21 AM
As someone that takes his Son to PSU games alot I would never just "leave". Something would have to be done, even just to walk away and tell the police. At the very least that would have to be done.

JBHuskers
11-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Just when you think it goes too far by simply berating a kid verbally.... :smh:

JeffHCross
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Here's the full details on the story, including video interview and pictures. http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2010/11/mothers_letter_to_plain_dealer.html

That is horribly classless.

steelerfan
11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Yes, classless for sure.

And, psusnoop, I agree. I wouldn't just leave. I would make sure that a-hole was arrested.

JeffHCross
11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Not that I would expect any different, but good to see the Browns take a stand on this too.

A team spokesman said the Browns contacted the boy's family on Wednesday and offered "anything we can do" after hearing about the "unfortunate" incident.

Browns coach Eric Mangini was dismayed by the matter.

"If it's true, it's ridiculous and the guy should be arrested," Mangini said. "I would be sick if someone tackled my kid. I think it's just wrong on so many levels and I would be angry as a parent, beyond angry. It shouldn't happen anywhere, ever."

JeffHCross
11-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Under what circumstances does it makes sense for the Panthers to start Brian St. Pierre (he of the 5 career pass attempts, and time on the Panthers practice squad) over Tony Pike (he of the 6th round draft pick and formerly 3rd string Panthers QB).

I know the Panthers are down Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen, but what the hell.

steelerfan
11-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Under what circumstances does it makes sense for the Panthers to start Brian St. Pierre (he of the 5 career pass attempts, and time on the Panthers practice squad) over Tony Pike (he of the 6th round draft pick and formerly 3rd string Panthers QB).

I know the Panthers are down Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen, but what the hell.

St. Pierre has been in the league waaay too long to be eligible for the Panthers practice squad. You're mistaken about that. Are you sure Pike isn't the one on the practice squad? If he is, a move would have to be made to accommodate him. That could be the reason.

I'm not going to put up a big argument, but St. Pierre was a 5th Rounder (Steelers). So, really it's a matter of veteran vs. greenhorn.

JBHuskers
11-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I dunno, all I know is I'm betting on the Ravens -9 because last week St. Pierre was a stay-at-home dad.

Edit: bah it went up to -11

jaymo76
11-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Really looking forward to the Raiders vs Steelers match on Sunday. Last year they played a great game and I am interested to see how the Raiders will look against a Steelers team who clearly have soemthing to prove after being smacked around by N.E.

steelerfan
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Really looking forward to the Raiders vs Steelers match on Sunday. Last year they played a great game and I am interested to see how the Raiders will look against a Steelers team who clearly have soemthing to prove after being smacked around by N.E.

I'm not too excited about this one. The Steelers haven't played that well in their last 4 (2-2) while Oakland has been hot. Pittsburgh is down to backups at both OT and both DE spots and it shows. I honestly feel that a loss to Oakland could start them on a slide out of the playoff picture. We'll see, hopefully they surprise me.

BTW, as confirmation to what Steelers fans knew last yeat, William *** is terrible.

JeffHCross
11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
St. Pierre has been in the league waaay too long to be eligible for the Panthers practice squad. You're mistaken about that.http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/18/129056537352867301.jpg

No.

Wikipedia: "On November 16, 2010 the Carolina Panthers moved St. Pierre to their active roster just five days after joining their practice squad on November 11th."
ESPN: Tuesday, November 16, 2010: "Signed QB Brian St. Pierre from the practice squad. Waived RB Andre Brown. Signed LB Sean Ware to the practice squad."
Panthers.com: "CHARLOTTE – The Panthers moved quarterback Brian St. Pierre to the active roster from the practice squad Tuesday."

steelerfan
11-19-2010, 11:03 PM
In order to be eligible for a team’s practice squad, you must meet the eligibility requirements as defined by the collective bargaining agreement.

The player must have no prior accrued seasons in the NFL. To earn an accrued season, the player must be on the active roster for six or more games.If the player has an accrued season, he can still be signed to the practice squad if he was on the 45-man active roster for no more than eight games.

A player can serve no more than two seasons on a team’s practice squad, unless the team’s active roster never dips below 53 players during those two seasons. If that is the case, the player is eligible to be on the practice squad for a third season.

Practice squad players are always free agents. They are free to sign with any team in the NFL. However, there are some restrictions.A team cannot sign a player off another team’s practice squad less than a week before the two teams play each other. If a team signs a player off a practice squad, that player must remain on the 53-man active roster for at least three weeks. If the player is released before the three weeks are up, they still count against the 53-man roster. The player’s salary is guaranteed for three weeks, meaning they get paid even if they get released before the three weeks are up.If a team decides to promote a player from their own practice squad to the active roster, the rules are basically the same. If they’re released before three weeks is up, they get paid for all three weeks.

Teams are limited to eight practice squad players.

My bad. I don't know how he's eligible at age 30 (nearly 31), but ok.

JeffHCross
11-19-2010, 11:14 PM
My bad. I don't know how he's eligible at age 30 (nearly 31), but ok.If memory serves, the third-string quarterback is not really an "active" position ... it's treated like an emergency position. Is it something like that? Anyway, I just took a quick glance at St. Pierre's career, and, assuming Wikipedia is accurate, St. Pierre may have never been anything higher than a 3rd string QB before.

2003, 2004: 3rd string QB
2005: Practice Squad, moved to active
2006: Practice Squad, moved to active, cut, Practice Squad
2007: Practice Squad
2008, 2009: 3rd String QB
2010: Changing Diapers

steelerfan
11-19-2010, 11:25 PM
If memory serves, the third-string quarterback is not really an "active" position ... it's treated like an emergency position. Is it something like that? Anyway, I just took a quick glance at St. Pierre's career, and, assuming Wikipedia is accurate, St. Pierre may have never been anything higher than a 3rd string QB before.

2003, 2004: 3rd string QB
2005: Practice Squad, moved to active
2006: Practice Squad, moved to active, cut, Practice Squad
2007: Practice Squad
2008, 2009: 3rd String QB
2010: Changing Diapers

That's all I can come up with too. I guess it's an oddity. You'd think there'd be a few other guys in that boat, but I can't recall ever seeing a guy who is 30 and has spent most of 8 seasons on a roster be eligible for the practice squad.

Rudy
11-20-2010, 04:31 AM
The Dolphins suck. They have regressed the last two years and I don't know how long it's going to take to turn around. They got cheap in that they cut Jake Grove and didn't even offer Jason Taylor a contract to come back for one year. They have had some injuries as well. But the bottom line is this team is ugly. Sparano wants a tough physical team and yet they aren't one. The interior OL is a mess right now and Ricky and Ronnie are not as good as they once were. They trade for Marshall but don't use him right. On defense they aren't particularly physical. Cam Wake and the young secondary are pleasant surprises but the Dansby signing always looked too expensive to me and he hasn't done much. Their draft featured Odrick in round 1 (mostly hurt) and Misi in round 2 (never liked that pick and still don't). Misi is not a pass rusher but simply a hustle player that doesn't really do anything but clean up plays after they are done. And worst of all I think they are going to need a new QB. Henne is OK but I don't think he's the answer - more like a good backup.

SmoothPancakes
11-20-2010, 08:51 AM
If memory serves, the third-string quarterback is not really an "active" position ... it's treated like an emergency position. Is it something like that?

I believe it is. I get Broncos stuff sent via text during games (score updates, stat updates, etc) and every week before each game, I get a text with the list of inactive Broncos players along with whatever injuries that player has and whatnot, and every week Brady Quinn is listed as "Inactive (3rd String QB)"

JeffHCross
11-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Yep, that's pretty much what I thought. Thanks Smooth.

steelerfan
11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
But still, it surprises me that being a 3rd QB can keep you from accruing seasons and an 8-year vet can be practice squad eligible. I wonder if the same loophole is keeping St. Pierre from benefits as well.

jaymo76
11-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Steelerfan, you're killing me. Anytime a team I cheer for goes up against one of yours, I get my butt handed to me (Raiders & Canucks). lol. What a terrible effort by the Raiders today. The offense was just awful. Combine that with stupid penalties... I figured Oakland would really show up for this game... boy was I wrong.