Texas A&M HC
Tony Levine

Pittsburgh
Todd Graham
Arizona State HC
Paul Chryst

cdj
11-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Rumor mill already starting on this flight (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA565) from Florida Keys (where Mike Leach lives) to Lawrence.

bdoughty
11-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Mike Leach in Kansas... That would be an interesting hire (hypocritical to say the least), since Kansas pretty much fired Mangino for "verbally abusing" his players. Fat chicks in Lawrence might want to watch out if The Pirate comes a calling.

JeffHCross
11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
If the rumors are true (and I have no reason to believe they aren't at this point), and Urban Meyer is the next coach for Ohio State, don't be surprised if Luke Fickell heads to Akron.

morsdraconis
11-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Erickson is definitely gone. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-arizonast-ericksonout)

(btw, great idea to have a thread for this - always interesting to see what happens with teams)

cdj
11-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Rumor mill already starting on this flight (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/EJA565) from Florida Keys (where Mike Leach lives) to Lawrence.

From KU Star writer (https://twitter.com/#!/BradyMcCollough/status/141006264158273536):
Instead of Leach, we greeted a family of five who had a very unnewsworthy trip to Key West. #kufball

Ha!

JBHuskers
11-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Erickson is definitely gone. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-arizonast-ericksonout)

(btw, great idea to have a thread for this - always interesting to see what happens with teams)

:+1:

baseballplyrmvp
11-28-2011, 08:38 AM
urban meyer has taken the osu job.

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1299845

JBHuskers
11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
ESPN reporting it too...

I'm not taking the job, okay I am...no I'm not, but I'm not going to call this weekends game, but I'm not taking the job, well yeah okay you got me, I'm the new coach of Ohio State. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7289592/urban-meyer-joins-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-1-year-hiatus-sources-say)

baseballplyrmvp
11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
i wonder if his contract has a scheduled leave of absence every 2 or 3 years

JBHuskers
11-28-2011, 09:13 AM
There are some rumblings that Mark Mangino might be headed to Arizona State.

bdoughty
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
There are some rumblings that Mark Mangino might be headed to Arizona State.

I love Mango, he was the O-Cordinator when OU won the title in 2000 but I can't see him coaching a PAC-12 team. The heat alone in Tempe could kill him.

SmoothPancakes
11-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Rick Neuheisel is out at UCLA. I guess that 50-0 ass whooping was enough to show the university they had not "closed the gap". :D

morsdraconis
11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Chris, not sure why you haven't updated it, but Dennis Erickson has been fired as the Arizona State coach. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7288107/dennis-erickson-coach-arizona-state-sun-devils-source-says)

cdj
11-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Chris, not sure why you haven't updated it, but Dennis Erickson has been fired as the Arizona State coach. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7288107/dennis-erickson-coach-arizona-state-sun-devils-source-says)

Updated. I was just waiting for official word on if he was 'fired' or 'retired.'

Paul Rhoads another rumored name at ASU.

JeffHCross
11-28-2011, 09:46 PM
If the rumors are true (and I have no reason to believe they aren't at this point), and Urban Meyer is the next coach for Ohio State, don't be surprised if Luke Fickell heads to Akron.Fickell is expected to stay on, possibly (likely?) as defensive coordinator.

baseballplyrmvp
11-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Updated. I was just waiting for official word on if he was 'fired' or 'retired.'

Paul Rhoads another rumored name at ASU.also rumored for asu, is june jones. :o

on brock and salk (espn seattle) today, they said a slight rumor coming out of ucla is that they want chris peterson, which is highly unlikely since he signed like a 5 year extension or something with boise state, like last year. they reportedly are also interested in kevin sumlin of houston.

psusnoop
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
weird to be following this for PSU, just not sure what to think right now :dunno:

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks that is for sure.

gschwendt
11-29-2011, 10:13 AM
I'll be glad when Sunday comes so that we can finally get something out in the open with ASU's head coach... he's being rumored as one of top candidates at both Memphis (coached HS there, $1.5M) and Ole Miss (former assistant there). Our school is working to put together an attractive offer to stay but there's no way we match either of those two schools, but both parties have said nothing will happen until after this week's game.

bdoughty
11-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Taking the Memphis job would be career suicide, outside of making a few extra $. There might be talent in the Memphis area but the Tigers are not getting much of it.

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
I'd laugh if somehow UCLA pulls off the mega upset.

I completely understand the firing, but just imagine if UCLA wins the Rose Bowl :D odds are 999 to 1, but still funny to think about.

gschwendt
11-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Taking the Memphis job would be career suicide, outside of making a few extra $. There might be talent in the Memphis area but the Tigers are not getting much of it.Indeed... Memphis is a pure basketball school and their boosters all think football is just a drain. They NEED a new stadium and until they do that, they're not taking football serious.

I highly doubt Freeze would go to Memphis, regardless of money. But Ole Miss or USM (if Fedora goes to Ole Miss) since he's an alum, I could certainly see happening. There's also been mention that UNC & Tulane requested permission to talk to Freeze. I couldn't see him going to either of those schools either.

morsdraconis
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
I'd laugh if somehow UCLA pulls off the mega upset.

I completely understand the firing, but just imagine if UCLA wins the Rose Bowl :D odds are 999 to 1, but still funny to think about.

Hell, I'd throw $50 on it just to rake in the $1000+ off of it if they did pull it off.

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Hell, I'd throw $50 on it just to rake in the $1000+ off of it if they did pull it off.

I shoulda bet on Houston running the table. Came close to doing it...never really looked into it though because I stayed away from betting this year.

cdj
11-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Other rumored names for some jobs are Dan Mullen at Penn State and Jay Gruden at UCLA.

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Other rumored names for some jobs are Dan Mullen at Penn State and Jay Gruden at UCLA.

UCLA should go after Dan Hawkins :D

cdj
11-29-2011, 01:19 PM
Paul Wulff out at Washington State. Mike Leach in?

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Paul Wulff out at Washington State. Mike Leach in?

With all these places that Leach has the lead on, you'd think he's going to actually coach in 2012?

cdj
11-29-2011, 01:46 PM
With all these places that Leach has the lead on, you'd think he's going to actually coach in 2012?

I'd say yes. I know the talking heads think that the pending lawsuit by Leach hurts him, but do you really think Wazzu would care? They have two good QBs (lose Lobbestael though) and a couple good young WRs. Add in Leach's name, appeal, and expertise in a conference with few powers....they'd be smart to do anything to get him.

bdoughty
11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Gets a bit nippy up there but if he can make his offense work in the windstorms of Lubbock, he can make it work there. There is a catch.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2016875466_withers28.html

Leach's last contract at Texas Tech was for $12.7 million over five years. Paul Wulff is making 600 grand at WS.

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 03:30 PM
Pro Football Talk just announced that Mike Martz may have an interest in the Arizona State job.

gschwendt
11-29-2011, 04:08 PM
Grain of salt...

A source close to the Cup has informed us that Alabama DC Kirby Smart is to be hired as the OM head coach. Announcement later this week.
https://twitter.com/#!/RedCupRebellion/status/141632583845949440

JBHuskers
11-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Makes sense.

baseballplyrmvp
11-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Gets a bit nippy up there but if he can make his offense work in the windstorms of Lubbock, he can make it work there. There is a catch.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2016875466_withers28.html

Leach's last contract at Texas Tech was for $12.7 million over five years. Paul Wulff is making 600 grand at WS.pullman only cold in the winter, but the east of the state is way hotter for 3/4ths of the year than the west side of washington.

wsu ad, bill moos, has said that he's going all out to get leach. he wants a coach to be at wsu for the long haul, wants a guy who has proven to be a winner, and moos is willing to spend some cash to get leach. that figure for wulff is pretty high though since he'd never been a head coach at the fbs level, so he really didnt deserve a big salary to begin with.

JBHuskers
11-30-2011, 02:43 PM
The Leach Has Landed!

From CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman:

BREAKING: Mike Leach has verbally agreed to be the head coach at Washington St.

psuexv
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM

Other names are Patterson from TCU and Peterson from Boise.

Oneback
11-30-2011, 05:51 PM
I just became a Washington State fan!

baseballplyrmvp
11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
cougars will win at least 8 games next year. book it

baseballplyrmvp
11-30-2011, 08:03 PM
lol. bill moos, wsu ad, has reportedly been talking with leach for over 3 weeks. leach was also the only guy on moos' list of coaches.

cdj
12-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Some rumbling that Mike Sherman is out at A&M. AD Bill Byrne didn't give him a ringing endorsement in response to any questions in the last couple days. Dollar Bill will want a new bigshot coach to usher A&M into the SEC.

Agreed, Oneback - I'll be rooting for WSU as well.

morsdraconis
12-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I will definitely be keeping track of them now. Leech being the coach there has got to be exciting for the WSU faithful.

bdoughty
12-01-2011, 06:51 AM
cougars will win at least 8 games next year. book it

When he came to Texas Tech he took over a team that had a winning season and consistently went to bowls under Spike Dykes. I would say a + .500 season would be a big step up and I am not even sure they do that.

First game is @ Utah, so no gimme there and an upset special with Eastern Washington for game two.

JBHuskers
12-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Are there any fat little girlfriends in Pullman? Or are they all too jittery on Starbucks to be fat?

psuexv
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
The speculation around coaches is crazy. Glad this is the first time I've seen PSU go through it. Apparently interviews are set up with Mullen, Bradley, Tim Murphy and David Shaw with the job as Shaw's to lose. :dunno:

gschwendt
12-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't want to be the coach to follow in Paterno's footsteps, especially if any kind of sanctions come down or anything like that. I could see Mullen going, just because where he's at, he's coaching for a low tier team in a top-heavy division & conference. At least at Penn State, he'd have all of the resources he wants.

psuexv
12-01-2011, 10:00 AM
I could see Mullen going, just because where he's at, he's coaching for a low tier team in a top-heavy division & conference. At least at Penn State, he'd have all of the resources he wants.

Plus it would make the OSU/PSU game really interesting. See how Meyer does without his QB coach that he had for all of his success.

psusnoop
12-01-2011, 10:11 AM
Plus it would make the OSU/PSU game really interesting. See how Meyer does without his QB coach that he had for all of his success.

Now that would be interesting E.

Also G, I'm just not sure the NCAA would want to get into sanctions from all of this. It really is a weird situation but from what I'm hearing the NCAA is just doing their due diligence to show they care. Also just my gut reaction as well.

cdj
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Rumor mill says Mike Sherman out at Texas A&M, but he has yet to be notified. Merry Christmas, Mike!

Oneback
12-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Even more juicy rumors: Mack Brown to retire after Baylor game on Saturday.

cdj
12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Even more juicy rumors: Mack Brown to retire after Baylor game on Saturday.

Any validity to that? I saw that rumor earlier, but some were saying that it originated from a Kansas radio station.

Oneback
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Any validity to that? I saw that rumor earlier, but some were saying that it originated from a Kansas radio station.

Not 100% sure just yet, there were rumors last week of Saban to Texas for absurd $$$$. However, the University Co-Op just re-tweeted as well. There's been hints of something going on from recruitocosm for a little while as well.

baseballplyrmvp
12-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Rumor mill says Mike Sherman out at Texas A&M, but he has yet to be notified. Merry Christmas, Mike!its official now. he's gone

cdj
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
CBS Sports reporting that FAU has offered job to Nebraska DC Carl Pelini and that he will accept.

JBHuskers
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
The Carousel is definitely spinning tonight!

psuexv
12-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Speaking of Saban, I have heard his name mentioned for PSU too, but not by any credible sources

Oneback
12-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Not 100% sure just yet, there were rumors last week of Saban to Texas for absurd $$$$. However, the University Co-Op just re-tweeted as well. There's been hints of something going on from recruitocosm for a little while as well.

So it looks as though there may be a little bite to this rumor:

http://barkingcarnival.fantake.com/2011/12/02/mondays-in-the-humidor-with-the-big-cigar-3/

Seems as though Chris Peterson may have been inline as Mack's successor all along, which makes a lot of sense being that the two staffs have been really close for a few years now. I just hope in all of this we are able to keep a hold of Manny Diaz. Chris Peterson, Bryan Harsin and Manny Diaz would pretty much trump any coaching staff in the nation.

bdoughty
12-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Chris Peterson, Bryan Harsin and Manny Diaz would pretty much trump any coaching staff in the nation.

:D

Oneback
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM

Tell me which other staff's you would rather take? I'll give you Saban, Smart and Jim McElwain. However Harsin is better than McElwain and Smart will be moving on. Diaz and Smart are on the same level, that's Saban's defense, always has been always will be. Diaz calls the shots on defense at Texas.

So now we're at Saban and Peterson, I'll give you Saban, if he wanted to come to Texas I'd fly down to Austin to help him move. However, Peterson has taken "his" and beat "yours" at an impressive rate considering who "his" are and I'd welcome him to the 40 especially considering the transformation process has already begun this year with Harsin.

bdoughty
12-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Tell me which other staff's you would rather take? I'll give you Saban, Smart and Jim McElwain. However Harsin is better than McElwain and Smart will be moving on. Diaz and Smart are on the same level, that's Saban's defense, always has been always will be. Diaz calls the shots on defense at Texas.

So now we're at Saban and Peterson, I'll give you Saban, if he wanted to come to Texas I'd fly down to Austin to help him move. However, Peterson has taken "his" and beat "yours" at an impressive rate considering who "his" are and I'd welcome him to the 40 especially considering the transformation process has already begun this year with Harsin.

I think I would stick with my staff. Look up Big 12 Championships, count em up. Look at all the BCS games and BCS title games we made it to. They might not win the big one but they are consistently solid. Better to get there than end up in the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl.

You might worry more about going .500 in your conference, or beating a school from the state of Oklahoma before you start dreaming about the awesomeness that might be your Longhorn Coaching staff in 2012. Bryan Harsin? Really? You are talking about the guy who mustered up a whopping 5 points against Missouri and 13 points the next week against Kansas St? Diaz is a good coach but last I checked he gave up over 450 yards to the Sooners in that little game we play yearly.

JBHuskers
12-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Looks like there will be a press conference Monday to announce Carl Pelini as the new FAU head coach.

Oneback
12-02-2011, 03:39 PM
I think I would stick with my staff. Look up Big 12 Championships, count em up. Look at all the BCS games and BCS title games we made it to. They might not win the big one but they are consistently solid. Better to get there than end up in the Poulan Weed Eater Bowl.

You might worry more about going .500 in your conference, or beating a school from the state of Oklahoma before you start dreaming about the awesomeness that might be your Longhorn Coaching staff in 2012. Bryan Harsin? Really? You are talking about the guy who mustered up a whopping 5 points against Missouri and 13 points the next week against Kansas St? Diaz is a good coach but last I checked he gave up over 450 yards to the Sooners in that little game we play yearly.

Yes because the greatness of a coach is just a snapshot in the moment of time. You can speak of all the awesomeness the OU staff has done over the years but when talking about the Texas staff you look to this year, way to compare apples to apples.

Harsin is working with a bad offensive line and two quarterbacks that were destined to be career backups (both a clear problem of the laziness of the previous staff), but let's not look at what he has done at Boise which includes beating your Sooners with inferior talent, but hey let's not let the current season get in the way of the facts.

bdoughty
12-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes because the greatness of a coach is just a snapshot in the moment of time. You can speak of all the awesomeness the OU staff has done over the years but when talking about the Texas staff you look to this year, way to compare apples to apples.

Harsin is working with a bad offensive line and two quarterbacks that were destined to be career backups (both a clear problem of the laziness of the previous staff), but let's not look at what he has done at Boise which includes beating your Sooners with inferior talent, but hey let's not let the current season get in the way of the facts.

With all those top 5 recruiting classes at Texas, I have a hard time letting you get away with saying Harsin is working with inferior talent. Boise beat us once, that is fact. Should that make him a great O-Coordinator? He beat up on a bunch of WAC teams over the years too. Big difference with a 10 win season against Big 12 teams versus 10 win season in the WAC.

baseballplyrmvp
12-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Tell me which other staff's you would rather take? i'd take :USC:'s staff, with both kiffins, ed orgeron, and john baxter.

DariusLock
12-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Ok here is where Ole Miss' coaching search stands. People are saying Kirby Smart is not coming to Ole Miss...if that's the true case then I think Larry Fedora just had one of the best interviews beating Houston and ruining their BCS hopes. If we somehow miss out on Fedora and Smart then it's more than likely Hugh Freeze and I've heard he really wants the job. Some guy with Archie Manning's (Leading our coaching search) old phone number said he got a text saying Hey Archie, I would really love the be in consideration for the Ole Miss job. Hugh Freeze.

It's on the Commercial Appeals website. The way I see it is this though...

1. Smart
2. Fedora
3. Freeze

gschwendt
12-03-2011, 08:43 PM
After the game tonight, Freeze sounded like he was already starting to say his good-byes. He didn't say anything specifically but you could hear it in his voice. I can't imagine he goes anywhere except Ole Miss but depending on how that shakes out, it's going to get really ugly at Arkansas State. Freeze landed in our lap and I can't imagine there's a slam-dunk hire out there that our AD is currently thinking of.

morsdraconis
12-03-2011, 09:57 PM
That really sucks G. I felt the same way with Rodriguez and then him just up and leaving us. We got an offensive mastermind and then were stuck with absolute trash afterwards and it sucked and we are a much higher profile football team than Arkansas State. I can only imagine how much that's gonna suck for a team like Arkansas State trying to recover from such a great coach.

cdj
12-03-2011, 11:26 PM
Arkansas State coach Hugh Freeze will meet with Ole Miss officials Sunday and is expected to receive and accept an offer to become the Rebels' new head football coach, sources told RebelGrove.com Saturday.

Link (http://olemiss.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1302435)

gschwendt
12-04-2011, 08:29 AM
Freeze is torn... he really likes Jonesboro, his wife really likes Jonesboro, his family is tired of moving, he's made solid connections here and can be a rockstar at this school. But when your dream job is offered, it's hard to turn down, even if in the back of your mind you know you're going into a losing situation.

Latest suggestions are that Fedora is gone (somewhere) and that Freeze would take USM before he'd take Ole Miss.

We should know something regarding Ole Miss tonight. USM might be a different story.

gschwendt
12-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Supposedly a team meeting has been scheduled for 7:15am tomorrow... consider Freeze gone.

DariusLock
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Well it looks lIke freeze is gonna be our man. Most of the fanbase is not happy considering we now find out Smart was never contacted. G what's your opinion of Freeze? I hope Dave Womack isn't his dc.

gschwendt
12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Well it looks lIke freeze is gonna be our man. Most of the fanbase is not happy considering we now find out Smart was never contacted. G what's your opinion of Freeze? I hope Dave Womack isn't his dc.Freeze is an offensive mind, much like Malzahn. He's very much a motivator and took largely the same team that thought they couldn't win more than 6 games and took them to 10 wins in a single season. Not sure why you wouldn't want Wommack... he took our weakness (defense) and turned it into our strength in a single season (as well with largely the same players).

For ASU, I'd sign both to a lifetime contract if I were in position to do so... not necessarily sure they'll have the same quick success at Ole Miss but they also won't have much of a leash.

cdj
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Sounds like Steve Fairchild is out at Colorado State, Pat Hill at Fresno State.

SmoothPancakes
12-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Sounds like Steve Fairchild is out at Colorado State, Pat Hill at Fresno State.

Seriously? Fresno State has two bad seasons the entire past 10 years, going 4-8 in 2006 and 4-9 this year, and winning 8 or 9 games every other year but one, and they toss Pat Hill out? Man, fuck them in that case.

cdj
12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
Seriously? Fresno State has two bad seasons the entire past 10 years, going 4-8 in 2006 and 4-9 this year, and winning 8 or 9 games every other year but one, and they toss Pat Hill out? Man, fuck them in that case.

The last info I saw said Hill is saying he is still employed and meeting with AD today.

cdj
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Bruce Feldman reporting that June Jones is a candidate for Arizona State.

SmoothPancakes
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
The last info I saw said Hill is saying he is still employed and meeting with AD today.

Man, I know it was a rough season, but that is some bull if they can him. Fresno has been nearly a constant 8 or 9 win team under Pat Hill since 2001 or so, and only had two years since 2001 where Fresno State hasn't won at least 6 games, and only three where they haven't won at least 8 or 9 games. If they can him for going 4-9 this year, there is so much bullshit in that call/move by Fresno.

cdj
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Man, I know it was a rough season, but that is some bull if they can him. Fresno has been nearly a constant 8 or 9 win team under Pat Hill since 2001 or so, and only had two years since 2001 where Fresno State hasn't won at least 6 games, and only three where they haven't won at least 8 or 9 games. If they can him for going 4-9 this year, there is so much bullshit in that call/move by Fresno.

I'm now seeing reports confirming he is gone.

Hill never won a conference title did he? Perhaps TPTB felt that FSU reached their potential under him and were dropping. It'll be interesting to hear more on that front.

bdoughty
12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/pat-hill-out-after-15-seasons-as-fresno-state-football-coach/2011/12/04/gIQAtP5mTO_story.html

Pat Hill has been fired.

baseballplyrmvp
12-04-2011, 06:57 PM
kevin sumlin is no longer a candidate for the ucla job.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/story/_/id/7316126/source-houston-cougars-kevin-sumlin-no-longer-ucla-bruins-coaching-list

good

SmoothPancakes
12-04-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm now seeing reports confirming he is gone.

Hill never won a conference title did he? Perhaps TPTB felt that FSU reached their potential under him and were dropping. It'll be interesting to hear more on that front.

I don't think they did, not that I know of. But granted they had to deal with Boise State every year until this season. Still a horrible call in my opinion after well Fresno State has done in the last decade.

cdj
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Reports stating Freeze has taken Ole Miss job (http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-NEWS-HUGH-FREEZE-HIRED-AS-NEW-OLE-MISS-HEAD-COACH-51714). ASU opening now added to list.

psusnoop
12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Reports stating Freeze has taken Ole Miss job (http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article/BREAKING-NEWS-HUGH-FREEZE-HIRED-AS-NEW-OLE-MISS-HEAD-COACH-51714). ASU opening now added to list.

Sorry G, tough loss there.

JBHuskers
12-05-2011, 09:34 AM
Carl Pelini approved by the board of trustees at FAU.

cdj
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
FAU announces hire of former Nebraska DC Carl Pelini. Five year deal worth $2.49M with incentives.

DariusLock
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
2 P.M. Press Conference announcing Hugh Freeze as new Ole Miss HC. Archie Manning already sent out a video stating it as well. Looks like Freeze's players all loved him and are actually happy for him. Frampton and others messaging him on Twitter.

bdoughty
12-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Tulane has hired Saints wide receivers coach Curtis Johnson as the new head coach of the Green Wave.

cdj
12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
The Hawai'i job is now open as Greg McMackin has resigned. (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/16194356/breaking-coach-mcmackin-to-resign)

baseballplyrmvp
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
the hawai'i job is now open as greg mcmackin has resigned. (http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/16194356/breaking-coach-mcmackin-to-resign)bring june jones back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cdj
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Kevin Sumlin and Larry Fedora interviewed with A&M AD Bill Byrne for 2+ hours on Monday in NYC. Source (https://twitter.com/#!/Sean_Callahan/status/143901084845477888)

cdj
12-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Strong rumors that Larry Fedora is going from Southern Miss to North Carolina; Kevin Sumlin from Houston to Illinois.

JBHuskers
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Strong rumors that Larry Fedora is going from Southern Miss to North Carolina; Kevin Sumlin from Houston to Illinois.

The stable of coaches in the Big Ten is turning into quite the one.

SmoothPancakes
12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
It'll be interesting to see who Southern Miss and Houston go after if those rumors become fact. Hire the wrong coaches, and the Southern Miss and Houston that we have right now, doing good and ending each year with good records, will potentially drop into pit of non-existence when it comes to football records, conference championships and bowl games.

gschwendt
12-06-2011, 04:58 PM
It'll be interesting to see who Southern Miss and Houston go after if those rumors become fact. Hire the wrong coaches, and the Southern Miss and Houston that we have right now, doing good and ending each year with good records, will potentially drop into pit of non-existence when it comes to football records, conference championships and bowl games.I'm Southern Miss will probably continue to hire from within, likely their Offensive Coordinator. Not sure about Houston.

gschwendt
12-06-2011, 05:21 PM
The three biggest names getting the most discussion from ASU fans are:

Jim Leavitt - overall everyone's #1 choice I think... aside from his run-in with hitting a player, the guy's a winner. He's currently the LB coach with the 49ers
Randy Fitchner - QB coach for the Steelers, he was the OC from 97-01. Said he wants to get into college coaching. He's also being rumored for Memphis... they'll pay a lot more, but we're a better situation.
Trooper Taylor - WR coach for Auburn. Rumor is Freeze suggested him on his way out the door. He's a polarizing figure and would be a tough sell for some of our fans due to his rah-rah attitude and rumors of being a dirty recruiter.

JeffHCross
12-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Strong rumors that Larry Fedora is going from Southern Miss to North Carolina; Kevin Sumlin from Houston to Illinois.If that happens, I really begin to wonder who A&M ends up with. With the buyout they paid to Sherman, they need a slam-dunk hire to justify it. Not sure they have a hope of getting one at this point.

cdj
12-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Based on the rumor mill, it sounds like the Sumlin-to-Illinois rumors are way off, but Fedora-to-UNC is all but a done deal.

Also hearing Alabama OC Jim McElwain is in the lead for the Memphis job.

cdj
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
If that happens, I really begin to wonder who A&M ends up with. With the buyout they paid to Sherman, they need a slam-dunk hire to justify it. Not sure they have a hope of getting one at this point.

AD Bill Byrne fired RC Slocum who went 123-47-2 at the school His two hires since then (Franchione & Sherman) have gone a combined 57-54. He must be getting bonus points for his basketball hires (Gillispie, Turgeon, Kennedy) and move to the SEC. Most ADs don't get to hire three football coaches without getting the ax.

SPORTSbyBROOKS posted earlier there's a rumor Slocum reached out to Tommy Tuberville to gauge his interest for the A&M job. :D Who knows how true that is.

gschwendt
12-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Rumor is that Jim Leavitt is interested in the ASU job... if that's the case, it should be a short search.

cdj
12-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Larry Fedora to UNC; Joe Schad reporting June Jones to be next coach at Arizona State.

psuexv
12-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Joe Schad reporting June Jones to be next coach at Arizona State.

Hmmmm... Arizona vs Arizona State would be an interesting game.

cdj
12-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Now "sources" are saying talks between Jones and ASU have broken down and he will not be the next coach for the Sun Devils.

JBHuskers
12-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Heard that too.

cdj
12-07-2011, 06:22 PM
- It sounds like some combination of booster/fan backlash and/or unwillingness to pay Jones' SMU buyout that led to the offer being pulled.

- More 'rumors' that Sumlin is heading to A&M.

- Also some rumors that Kansas may have interest in Gators OC Charlie Weis.

cdj
12-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Memphis TV reporting that last night Alabama OC Jim McElwain accepted the job, only to change his mind today. New rumor has TCU co-OC Justin Fuente as accepting the job.

JBHuskers
12-07-2011, 07:34 PM
- It sounds like some combination of booster/fan backlash and/or unwillingness to pay Jones' SMU buyout that led to the offer being pulled.

- More 'rumors' that Sumlin is heading to A&M.

- Also some rumors that Kansas may have interest in Gators OC Charlie Weis.

Honestly, Sumlin should take A&M 1000x over Illinois.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JeffHCross
12-07-2011, 10:02 PM
AD Bill Byrne fired RC Slocum who went 123-47-2 at the schoolYep. And I still do not understand that move.

baseballplyrmvp
12-08-2011, 08:33 AM
jim tressel to ucla?

psuexv
12-08-2011, 11:38 AM
jim tressel to ucla?

What, Neushehel said they were right where they needed to be :D

cdj
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Charlie Weis will be the next head coach at Kansas. Probably the most interesting hire of the off-season (at least so far).

UCLA is looking at Tennessee DC Justin Wilcox.

JBHuskers
12-08-2011, 04:18 PM
That is quite the hire for KU.

JBHuskers
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Take a look at these HC hires in the NCAA this year....Charlie Weis, Urban Meyer, Bob Davie, Mike Leach, Rich Rodriguez...WOW

HWill
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Charlie Weis will be the next head coach at Kansas. Probably the most interesting hire of the off-season (at least so far).

:D:D:D

cdj
12-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Rumors floating around that A&M has offered Mark Richt.

While the Weis hire drew skepticism and critics, it seems like Arizona State and Texas A&M have been downright dysfunctional in looking for a new coach.

If schools are going to drag some of these guys out of moth balls (Charlie Weis, Urban Meyer, Bob Davie, Mike Leach, Rich Rodriguez; Pasqualoni & Coker last year), Phil Fulmer should be getting some calls as well. Hell, Maryland fans would probably take him in a second right now.

I saw a passing mention that Ohio's former AD is now at Fresno and had some interesting in bringing Frank Solich to Fresno State. I haven't heard if that was speculation or anything legit to that rumor.

SmoothPancakes
12-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Word in Toledo is that Rockets head coach Tim Beckman will be leaving the school for a coaching position elsewhere. No word on if it will be a jump to another head coach position or an assistant position.

SmoothPancakes
12-08-2011, 09:51 PM
The Toledo media is reporting the Toledo Rockets head coach Tim Beckman has accepted an offer to become the new head coach at Illinois.

TOLEDO, OH (WTOL) – Multiple sources within the school's athletic department tell WTOL11's Jordan Strack University of Toledo Head Football Tim Beckman has accepted the head coaching job at the University of Illinois.

Beckman coached the Rockets for three seasons, with an overall record of 21 – 16, winning 16 of his 22 Mid-American Conference games. Beckman also lead Toledo to back-to-back bowl games, including their Dec. 28 match up with Air Force in the Military Bowl. Sources say it is now unlikely Beckman will coach the Rockets in that game.

Beckman makes about $400,000 per year at Toledo, and will reportedly make up to four times that amount at Illinois.

http://www.wtol.com/story/16222995/sources-beckman-to-leave-ut-for-illinois

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 08:15 AM
I dunno if they're getting these coaches out of moth balls, with the exception of Davie all have coached or on the radar for a position (Leach) in the last two years.

steelerfan
12-09-2011, 08:46 AM
With all these former Irish flops getting jobs, where is Tyrone Willingham? :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like the AD at Arizona State just pulled the deal to June Jones with no reason. Sources are saying she's not going to last the school year anyways.

cdj
12-09-2011, 09:04 AM
I dunno if they're getting these coaches out of moth balls, with the exception of Davie all have coached or on the radar for a position (Leach) in the last two years.

It's just a saying. :fp: I don't literally think they sleep in cedar chests.

With all these former Irish flops getting jobs, where is Tyrone Willingham? :D

Every call probably gets him excited....only to find out it's a debt collector who misdialed. :(

I thought Willingham landed on his feet by getting a role on NCIS (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0140969/)?

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 09:12 AM
It's just a saying. :fp: I don't literally think they sleep in cedar chests.

Bob Davie might.

psusnoop
12-09-2011, 09:22 AM
I think it is an advantage. Thoughts?

http://m.therepublic.com/view/story/69ac66c2526c4216913adfbb166d7c28/#.TuIkmNKlH1U.mailto

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State sought and received a waiver from the NCAA that allows it to have two football coaching staffs at the same time: One under Luke Fickell to coach the Buckeyes in their upcoming bowl game and another led by incoming coach Urban Meyer that only handles recruiting.

Athletic director Gene Smith called the split staffs "normal in some transitions."

The Buckeyes play Florida in the Gator Bowl on Jan. 2. But Meyer and any new staffers are not permitted to coach any players and can only recruit. The NCAA waiver specifies that no more than 10 coaches — and no more than seven at any one time — may be involved in recruiting.

There have been rumblings from other schools that the waiver gives Ohio State a competitive advantage.

cdj
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Given their history of secondary violations, I don't see how or why the NCAA would let this happen.

Have any other schools gotten this exception?

psusnoop
12-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Given their history of secondary violations, I don't see how or why the NCAA would let this happen.

You know I'm not sure if it has happened in the past. I'll have to check that out but it is the first I've heard of such a thing.

Another interesting question, since Fickle is on the Meyer staff what is the difference between the two "staffs" then?

steelerfan
12-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Advantage: Buckeyes. :down:

psusnoop
12-09-2011, 10:18 AM

Here is the Miami Waiver from last year.

The staff granted with the following conditions: (1) Not more than seven coaches may engage in off-campus recruiting on behalf of applicant institution at any one time and no more than 10 coaches may engage in any recruiting activities; (2) The three new assistant coaches may only engage in recruiting activities and may not engage in any other coaching activities. Further, applicant institution must designate three existing assistant coaches who will cease all recruiting activities. The staff noted this request only provides relief from the maximum number of football coaches permitted to be employed by an FBS institution (one head coach and nine assistants) and the waiver is effective through the conclusion of applicant institution’s bowl game December 31. The request was granted based on case precedent, the extenuating circumstances surrounding the changes in coaching personnel and the timing of the bowl game.

cdj
12-09-2011, 10:22 AM
In theory that sounds great, but who is going to monitor and watch all that?

psusnoop
12-09-2011, 10:28 AM
In theory that sounds great, but who is going to monitor and watch all that?

Exactly, we all know that the NCAA sure as hell isn't going to. Pretty much a free pass is what I'm taking it as. Free reign to use to your advantage in any way possible.

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm not overly upset at this waiver.

morsdraconis
12-09-2011, 04:09 PM
They are going to have twice the recruiting and scouting power that they normally would. Seems pretty fucked up to me...

baseballplyrmvp
12-10-2011, 10:21 AM
rumors of a deal for sumlin to a&m are almost complete.

and sources are saying that ucla will name jim mora jr as the next head coach.

cdj
12-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Duke HC David Cutcliffe rumored to have been in some contact with Penn State.

ram29jackson
12-10-2011, 08:55 PM
Jim Mora jr ? UCLA?

JeffHCross
12-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Have any other schools gotten this exception?UNC was. I have a feeling that most schools that hire a new head coach are, just no one's talked about it before.

Another interesting question, since Fickle is on the Meyer staff what is the difference between the two "staffs" then?In reality, the primary reason for the waiver was Meyer himself. His hire, since we didn't fire our current head coach, would have put us over the 10 coach limit. Now, as we hire other coaches, maybe they come on staff now rather than later (I'm not sure how that all works when you have other commitments), but the primary reason for the waiver was Urban Meyer.

gschwendt
12-12-2011, 03:26 PM
WTF!?
Auburn’s Gus Malzahn is early favorite for Arkansas State job
(http://www.ibleedcrimsonred.com/2011/12/auburns-gus-malzahn-is-early-favorite.html)
So he turns down $2.5 million from an SEC school only to take a job getting paid $500,000 (at best) in the SBC... yeah, um... no. Not sure if that's just some Alabama fan with wishful thinking or what but I give 1% chance that we get Malzahn.

Instead, latest rumors are Mike Canales, OC at UNT (OC under Leavitt at USF) as well as Eddie Gran, RB coach at Florida State. I'm in the Canales group but with the right staff around Gran, I could get behind it as well.

Five most likely candidates are:
Eddie Gran - FSU HB coach, strong recruiter
Mike Canales - UNT OC
Neal Brown - TTU OC
Randy Fitchner - Steelers QB coach
Frank Wilson - LSU HB coach

Out of those 5, I know very little about Wilson but based on his credentials, he would be a tough sell.

steelerfan
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
G, it's "Fichtner", not "Fitchner". ;)

gschwendt
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
G, it's "Fichtner", not "Fitchner". ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using TapatalkEh... I just copied & pasted that from somewhere else. Any thoughts on him though?

steelerfan
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Eh... I just copied & pasted that from somewhere else. Any thoughts on him though?

I know he's had 2 tenures at Memphis and is, reportedly, interested in that job. He's been on the Steelers staff since '07 and has been the QB coach the last 2 years (he was the WR coach before that).

I haven't heard his name associated with Arkansas State, from a Steelers side of things.

Being that he's, at least, played/coached DBs, coached WRs and QBs, I'd guess he is versatile and well-rounded enough to make a move like this. I know Tomlin thinks highly of him.

JBHuskers
12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
@RichKurtzman: BREAKING: Colorado State to announce Jim McElwain (Bama OC) as next head football coach http://bit.ly/u1xe3A

gschwendt
12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I know he's had 2 tenures at Memphis and is, reportedly, interested in that job. He's been on the Steelers staff since '07 and has been the QB coach the last 2 years (he was the WR coach before that).

I haven't heard his name associated with Arkansas State, from a Steelers side of things.Memphis has already hired their coach. Fichtner coached at ASU along with Tomlin under Joe Hollis... supposedly he had some interest in us early on but not sure if that waned after he heard what we would pay (probably around what he makes now) compared to what Memphis would pay.

JeffHCross
12-12-2011, 07:35 PM
So he turns down $2.5 million from an SEC school only to take a job getting paid $500,000 (at best) in the SBC... yeah, um... no. Not sure if that's just some Alabama fan with wishful thinking or what but I give 1% chance that we get Malzahn. During my drive home in the evenings, Paul Finebaum is simulcast on Sirius XM. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I choose to partake. There was a discussion last week that Malzahn's wife, and her recent "tour def force" of a rant, has killed any chance that Malzahn gets an SEC job, at least at this time. I don't profess to understand this reasoning, but it's out there.

gschwendt
12-12-2011, 11:03 PM
According to our scout site writer, there is indeed mutual interest from both Arkansas State & Malzahn. I can't imagine this happening whatsoever but if it did... holy shit.

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2ffeatures%2frumors

ASU has offered a contract to Malzahn
It may seem like a long shot, but the Auburn offensive coordinator is at least considering the offer

Anyone here have ESPN insider that could give me the full scoop on the ASU rumor & the Auburn rumors (both surrounding Malzahn)?

JBHuskers
12-13-2011, 01:45 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2ffeatures%2frumors

It may seem like a long shot, but the Auburn offensive coordinator is at least considering the offer

Anyone here have ESPN insider that could give me the full scoop on the ASU rumor & the Auburn rumors (both surrounding Malzahn)?

I'll take a quick look.

EDIT: Sent you a couple of stories.

morsdraconis
12-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Boo! Post them here damn it!

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 02:41 PM
ASU fans pass rumors worse than old women but the current rumors are that ASU has offered $800k per year and that Malzahn has been spotted on campus. As well, speculation that something will happen by the end of the day.

Take it with a lick's worth of salt.

morsdraconis
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
ASU fans pass rumors worse than old women but the current rumors are that ASU has offered $800k per year and that Malzahn has been spotted on campus. As well, speculation that something will happen by the end of the day.

For your and ASU's sakes, I hope it's true man. You guys have the talent to do something special and with such a great coach, it could be something REALLY special.

JBHuskers
12-13-2011, 03:04 PM

If he was mentioned for North Carolina and Ole Miss as "candidates" what do you think is his motivation for going from $1.3M a year to $800k per? Does he think he can recruit enough to maybe put them in the elite non-AQ school status?

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 03:15 PM
If he was mentioned for North Carolina and Ole Miss as "candidates" what do you think is his motivation for going from $1.3M a year to $800k per? Does he think he can recruit enough to maybe put them in the elite non-AQ school status?He coached high school in the area (90 miles away), his wife has friends that live here, he supposedly has said he wants to get back to Arkansas, he can be a 'god' in the state (no other coaching name gets as much positive sports recognition in the state), Ole Miss is a job suicide type school (UNC could be in same discussion) and possibly wants to take a step back to prove he can be a great HC in order to get a higher prestige job. Add in the fact that he wouldn't have near the pressure that he does in the SEC, he wouldn't have near the media scrutiny, he wouldn't have opposing fans putting together videos to make his wife look bad.

I still don't believe that it will happen (Lord knows I want to be wrong), but over the past 18 hours, the percentage of it happening has gone up considerably.

SmoothPancakes
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Boo! Post them here damn it!

Here's stuff from the Insider CFB Rumor page that was posted earlier today:

UPDATE: Gus Malzahn to Arkansas State appears to be nothing more than wishful thinking. But, that hasn't stopped Arkansas State from trying, nor has all of those hopes been dashed.

"Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, we are told, has an offer on the table from Arkansas State," Phillip Marshall of Auburn Undercover wrote. "Though Arkansas State has offered to pay significantly more than it ever has, Malzahn would still have to take a significant pay cut to leave Auburn...Most people we have talked to who are close to Malzahn don't believe he will do it, but others believe he might want to be a head coach badly enough to take the leap and give up the money."

---

UPDATE: Gus Malzahn is one of the hottest coaching properties in the nation. His name has been associated with every head coach opening around the country. He has interviewed for multiple vacancies. So, it's slightly surprising to hear his name attached to the Arkansas State opening.

"The current Auburn offensive coordinator is an Arkansas native and is said to be a front runner to take over (Hugh) Freeze's spot," Ibleedcrimsonred.com noted.

ASU is nestled in the Sun Belt Conference and cannot compete with the money or prestige of a BCS automatic qualifying program. So why would Malzahn consider this opportunity?

"Freeze's offense at Arkansas State has been built around a high-octane spread attack similar to Malzahn's hurry-up-no-huddle offense," the blog rationalized. "Malzahn also enjoys the advantage of having coached high school programs in the state, and would certainly exploit his contacts in the state's high school coaching fraternity in recruiting."

---

UPDATE: Another name to add to the Arkansas State mix is Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown according to Footballscoop.com.

"We hear that Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown has interviewed as well...add another young offensive minded coach to the list of candidates," the blog reported.

Brown was already considered a candidate at UMass prior to Charley Molnar's hiring. The coordinator was a hot commodity when he served in the same function while at Troy. If he is tabbed to be the Red Wolves' head coach, Brown would return to the Sun Belt roots which got him to Texas Tech in the first place.

---

Arkansas State had something special with Hugh Freeze as its head coach. But, all good things must come to an end. Freeze decided to make the leap to the SEC and coach Ole Miss, while the Red Wolves are searching for the next Freeze.

"Names we've heard are being considered include Mike Canales, Kliff Kingsbury and Eddie Gran. We hear interviews are ongoing and other candidates are involved," FootballScoop.com reported.

Canales is North Texas' offensive coordinator, and he is also serving as the team's interim head coach at the moment. Canales experience in the Sun Belt conference speaks for itself.

Kliff Kingsbury is currently the co-offensive coordinator at Houston. The spread offense Kingsbury would implement is definitely an exciting possibility for any program.

Eddie Gran is an associate head coach and special teams coordinator at Florida State. He spent the previous ten seasons at Auburn prior to joining the Seminoles' staff in 2011.

As John Crist of Nole Digest stated, "Gran is a recruiting work horse. If he leaves, that loss would certainly be felt."

- Brent Soblesk

Malzahn's plans

UPDATE: The latest job opening linked to Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn: the Arkansas State Red Wolves, whose head coach, Hugh Freeze, just left to take the job at Ole Miss.

"Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, we are told, has an offer on the table from Arkansas State," says a report at Auburn Undercover. "Though Arkansas State has offered to pay significantly more than it ever has, Malzahn would still have to take a significant pay cut to leave Auburn, where he is paid $1.3 million per year.

"Our guess is that Malzahn will be Auburn's offensive coordinator next season, but it's only a guess. Whatever is going to happen should happen soon."

- Vince Verhei

---

Eventually, Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn will be a major college football head coach. It's the when and the where which has been difficult to decipher.

Despite being a considered a potential front runner at two plum jobs, North Carolina and Ole Miss, this may not be the off season Malzahn chooses to finally make the leap into leading a program of his own.

Auburn Undercover reported, "Nothing will be certain until all the open head coaching jobs have been filled, but offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has told people close to him that he expects to return to Auburn for his fourth season in 2012."

Malzahn will still be discussed in conjunction with numerous head coaching vacancies, but his name has been reportedly fading as a candidate in recent days, particularly at the two schools previously mentioned. A lack of mutual interest on Malzahn's part may be the reason why those schools have started to lean towards other candidates.

- Brent Sobleski

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 04:03 PM
If he was mentioned for North Carolina and Ole Miss as "candidates" what do you think is his motivation for going from $1.3M a year to $800k per? Does he think he can recruit enough to maybe put them in the elite non-AQ school status?I forgot to mention, possibly the biggest reason is that ASU is setup for success with next year's offense. We lose one receiver, a couple OL, and 2/4 of a group of HBs that all had playing time. If he could come in here, would be running almost the exact same offense as Freeze, and then bring in a good DC (defense was key to our success last year), he could easily bring us to 10 wins again next year.

DariusLock
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Smooth you just confused me lol. Is he on campus or not?

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM
From CoachingSearch.com (http://www.coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker.html)
Arkansas State: I am told that Arkansas State has put together a 6-year deal at $600,000 + for Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn. Malzahn has not accepted the job at this point. Sources tell me that Arkansas State officials are currently working to increase the compensation closer to $800,000. Malzahn is believed to be on campus today in Jonesboro.

Like FootballScoop, they usually make sure they have somewhat reliable contacts before the go with something.

DariusLock
12-13-2011, 04:12 PM
That sounds good for you guys, no matter what if you guys can offer a contract like that you should get a quality coach. Malzahn's wife on youtube might have ruined his image for some bigger schools.

psusnoop
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
This really seems to be gaining momentum G, hope you guys land him!

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 05:28 PM
From a decent source... Deal "on the verge of being done" for Malzahn.

morsdraconis
12-13-2011, 06:27 PM
That sounds good for you guys, no matter what if you guys can offer a contract like that you should get a quality coach. Malzahn's wife on youtube might have ruined his image for some bigger schools.

I've never heard anything about this stuff with his wife (and I can't seem to find anything on youtube about it). What's all the hubbub, bub?

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I've never heard anything about this stuff with his wife (and I can't seem to find anything on youtube about it). What's all the hubbub, bub?Removed video link... it's to a russian site and supposedly potential for viruses. If you really want the link, PM me.

JBHuskers
12-13-2011, 07:18 PM
From a decent source... Deal "on the verge of being done" for Malzahn.

I bet they up it a hair over $800k to push it over the top.

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Reports are saying it will officially be announced on Thursday. Not sure why wait until then... we have a men's basketball game tomorrow night at home, smart money would say have the press conference directly before the game.

morsdraconis
12-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow, that's pretty huge if it's the case. GINORMOUS hire for you guys. Wow.

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
The guy ASU fans trust the most when it comes to ASU/SBC news, who doesn't say anything unless he's completely positive, has just confirmed that Malzahn will be our next coach...

The Sun got it first and I got it bit later and have been holding it until someone else reports but Gus has approved ASU's offer. Contract is not signed but appears he is our next coach.

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
I'll be doing this dance in my head for the rest of the night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyMBwEM4N1o

steelerfan
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
I'll be doing this dance in my head for the rest of the night...

:smh:

Big time signing for Arkansas State though. Wow!

SmoothPancakes
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Holy shit. Arkansas State comes out of nowhere after losing Freeze and hits a home run.

gschwendt
12-13-2011, 10:23 PM
According to our ASU insider, Hugh Freeze was integral in bringing Malzahn to Jonesboro...
http://www.arkst.com/?p=1564
"Hugh Freeze deserves major credit in this hire he recruited Malzahn for the job and answered many questions about the program and the roster. Malzahn then contacted ASU."

morsdraconis
12-14-2011, 05:43 AM
That's fuckin' awesome Tommy! Way to go ASU!

psusnoop
12-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Pretty sweet for ASU!

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Definitely a reason for the ASU nation to continue to praise Hugh Freeze, not only for what he's done, but for what he did after he left.

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 09:13 AM
Definitely a reason for the ASU nation to continue to praise Hugh Freeze, not only for what he's done, but for what he did after he left.Indeed... as one fan mentioned, Freeze helped sign a 5-star recruit after he left the program.

SmoothPancakes
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Navy: Niumat Not Interested

By Bill Wagner (Annapolis Capital)

Scott Strasemeier, associate athletic director for sports information at the U.S. Naval Academy, said in a statement to various news outlets on Tuesday that Penn State has not contacted head coach Ken Niumatalolo about succeeding Joe Paterno.

“I just talked to coach Niumatalolo and he said it wasn’t true," Strasemier said of the FootballScoop.com report that Penn State officials had spoken to Niumatalolo. "I also talked to our athletic director, Chet Gladchuk, and he said when we signed coach Niumatalolo to a long-term contract on April 21, that he said he wanted to coach at the Naval Academy for the rest of his life, and there’s no reason to believe that has changed. I can also confirm that Penn State has not contacted Navy.”

That's right Penn State, go find your own damn coach somewhere else. Stay the hell away from Niumatalolo.

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Various news orgs are officially confirming the news of the ASU hiring now.

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
The Arizona State mystery finally solved.....

Yahoo! Sports confirms Todd Graham is leaving Pittsburgh for Arizona State. Story to come.

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Good article that makes sense of the Malzahn hire (http://www.coachingsearch.com/home/170-i-salute-gus-malzahn-and-heres-why.html)

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 12:17 PM
The Arizona State mystery finally solved.....

Yahoo! Sports confirms Todd Graham is leaving Pittsburgh for Arizona State. Story to come.From Joe Schad (https://twitter.com/#!/schadjoe/status/147014441714712578)
At 12:16 pm Pitt players received a text from Todd Graham saying "I now am on my way to Tempe."

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Wonder if he flipped off Stevie P on the way out the door... :D

Also, if he texted his players at 12:16, most of them probably found out on Twitter :fp:

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 03:14 PM
From Joe Schad:

Todd Graham called Steve Pederson and was denied permission to talk to ASU; three hours later he resigned

:D :D :D :D :D

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
"We can be the Boise State of college football," Quote from the Ark St president

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 04:11 PM
"Ready to take Arkansas State to the next level..." "to make Arkansas State a top 25 team year in and year out".

According to a football player on twitter, Gus said:
"I plan on being here for a long time. Let's take this thing to the moon!"

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 04:18 PM
"Ready to take Arkansas State to the next level..." "to make Arkansas State a top 25 team year in and year out".

According to a football player on twitter, Gus said:
"I plan on being here for a long time. Let's take this thing to the moon!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfJXgKTqpdE

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Quotes from press conference (http://www2.oanow.com/blogs/aublog/2011/dec/14/malzahn-says-asu-right-place-right-time-head-coach-ar-2867940/)

morsdraconis
12-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Man, I bet you're shitty tacos with excitement Tommy.

psusnoop
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
I can only imagine how thrilled Tommy is right now, talk about perma-smile.

JBHuskers
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
I can only imagine how thrilled Tommy is right now, talk about perma-smile.

:nod:

gschwendt
12-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Indeed... been a crazy couple of days here in Jonesboro. Malzahn even made a special appearance at halftime of the basketball game tonight. I'm even more excited having him after hearing him talk and the things he has to say. If there's anyway we can keep him 3 years, I'll be ecstatic, but from the way he talks, he wants to be here longer.

DariusLock
12-15-2011, 12:44 PM
I figure ASU is where he really wants to be, he turned down Vandy's big offer and it's a graveyard anyways. I think he and his family wanna be in Arkansas, the only way I see him leaving soon is to Arkansas if it ever opens up. I could be wrong tho.

JBHuskers
12-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Imagine if he does turn it into the next Boise? He's within a stones throw of some recruiting hotbeds.

JeffHCross
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Tommy, if you haven't seen it, this is worth a read.

SB Nation: Projecting Gus Malzahn's Arkansas State Depth Chart For 2012 (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/14/2635135/gus-malzahn-arkansas-state-football-roster-depth-chart-2011-2012)

gschwendt
12-19-2011, 10:17 AM
Tommy, if you haven't seen it, this is worth a read.

SB Nation: Projecting Gus Malzahn's Arkansas State Depth Chart For 2012 (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/12/14/2635135/gus-malzahn-arkansas-state-football-roster-depth-chart-2011-2012)I've seen it, but's not terribly accurate, particularly the backups. Aplin will of course be the starter but his backup will be Phillip Butterfield who sat out this season with injury. Same goes for HB... Sirgregory Thorton will be the backup HB; he contributed fairly well when healthy this season.

Either way though, we'll be really solid on offense. For defense, we played quite a bit of depth this season so even though we lose quite a bit of starters, we have plenty with experience. It will just depend on who hire as defensive coordinator.

morsdraconis
12-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Do you guys still play the 3-3-5 defense?

Hard to find a good coach when it comes to that defense.

JeffHCross
12-19-2011, 09:21 PM
I've seen it, but's not terribly accurate, particularly the backups.My guess is that he was basing it off of stats, not 2-deeps. Which would explain why injuries put a dent in the accuracy.

gschwendt
12-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Do you guys still play the 3-3-5 defense?

Hard to find a good coach when it comes to that defense.

No... That's UL Monroe. We ran a 425/nickel hybrid with lots of blitzing. Malzahn says he wants an aggressive defense similar to ours from last year. We're in pretty good shape overall on defense but we'll be thin at defensive end without some jucos.

morsdraconis
12-19-2011, 09:55 PM
No... That's UL Monroe. We ran a 425/nickel hybrid with lots of blitzing. Malzahn says he wants an aggressive defense similar to ours from last year. We're in pretty good shape overall on defense but we'll be thin at defensive end without some jucos.

Oh right, you guys are the 4-2-5 defense. Hard to keep track of since teams are constantly changing their stuff ever few years (and I haven't gotten a chance to actually watch an Arkansas State game in a long time).

Will be interesting to see what type of defense Malzahn brings with him.

baseballplyrmvp
12-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Norm Chow to Hawaii, pending contract negotiation agreements (http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/NORM_CHOW_SELECTED_AS_NEXT_UH_FOOTBALL_COACH.html) .

meh, i'm ok with the move.....kind of a sidestep, imo, from mcmackin.

JBHuskers
12-20-2011, 08:51 PM
Norm Chow to Hawaii, pending contract negotiation agreements (http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/NORM_CHOW_SELECTED_AS_NEXT_UH_FOOTBALL_COACH.html) .

meh, i'm ok with the move.....kind of a sidestep, imo, from mcmackin.

Better coordinator than head coach probably. But it's a brand name get.

JBHuskers
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Sounds like Cristobal at FIU is looking like the man Pitt hires, might get the offer today.

JeffHCross
12-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Sounds like Cristobal at FIU is looking like the man Pitt hires, might get the offer today.
http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/12/21/2651639/the-curious-index-12-21-2011

Mario Cristobal is still on PItt's radar despite the loss, or as Steve Pederson would say, "I like him more BECAUSE he lost." Steve Pederson is as horrible at hiring coaches as Gene Smith is at predicting NCAA penalties.

SmoothPancakes
12-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Pitt hires Wisconsin OC Paul Chryst (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7378440/pittsburgh-panthers-make-wisconsin-badgers-paul-chryst-coach)

Whew. Mario's not going anywhere, at least not yet.

morsdraconis
12-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Pitt hires Wisconsin OC Paul Chryst (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7378440/pittsburgh-panthers-make-wisconsin-badgers-paul-chryst-coach)

Whew. Mario's not going anywhere, at least not yet.

That's GREAT to hear for FIU. Hopefully they can keep him.

cdj
12-22-2011, 09:37 AM
- Pitt hires Wisconsin OC Paul Chryst

- Houston promotes ST coach Tony Levine from interim to HC

- Akron hires Terry Bowden

As of now, the only HC job opening is Penn State.

gschwendt
12-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Good... now Malzahn leaves after next year, ASU doesn't have to have Bowden's name tied to it again. I give no credit to his success at North Alabama so I hated his name coming up as a candidate for our opening the past two years. Now all we need is Tim Horton to be hired somewhere so his name won't come up.

JBHuskers
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
-

As of now, the only HC job opening is Penn State.

Unless Graham decides to leave Arizona State for Penn State :D

psusnoop
12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Unless Graham decides to leave Arizona State for Penn State :D

God lord wash that mouth out with soap young man. :D:D:D

JBHuskers
12-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Starting to be rumblings that people are pushing Penn State to hire former Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman. To me, it's just another name added onto the endless list.

psuexv
12-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Starting to be rumblings that people are pushing Penn State to hire former Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman. To me, it's just another name added onto the endless list.

Where are you getting that from?

JBHuskers
12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Where are you getting that from?

ESPN Insider

UPDATE: Penn State is still searching for its next head coach, while most schools have already made their selections. As a result Penn State's decision makers may have to look in a different direction.

"Several coaches in the profession believe that Penn State should turn to former Texas A&M head coach Mike Sherman," Pete Roussel of CoachingSearch.com wrote. "He is a man of impecable charcter. Remember his outgoing press conference at A&M? He is from the Northeast, a proven winner, and would not command an outrageous salary."

Sherman was 25-25 during his four seasons as the head football coach at College Station.

psuexv
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks, first I've heard of him being mentioned.

A lot of speculation out that a high profile coach actually reached out to us, but won't talk until after his bowl game. :dunno:

JBHuskers
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Thanks, first I've heard of him being mentioned.

A lot of speculation out that a high profile coach actually reached out to us, but won't talk until after his bowl game. :dunno:

I think it's more suggestive than anything.

psuexv
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I think it's more suggestive than anything.

I've heard so many rumors it's ridiculous.

psusnoop
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
I've heard so many rumors it's ridiculous.

Latest rumors has me and E coaching it up.

psusnoop
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Latest rumor I've heard is that:

HC: Bill Cowher
OC: Jon Gruden
DC: Tony Dungy

psuexv
12-22-2011, 01:35 PM

Latest rumors has me and E coaching it up.

:nod: We'd turn that shit around for sure.

JBHuskers
12-22-2011, 03:22 PM
From ESPN Blogger Adam Rittenberg

Penn State acting athletic director Dave Joyner issued a statement Thursday afternoon on the school's head-coaching search.

It reads:

"As we head into the holidays, I wanted to share an update on the search for the next head football coach at Penn State. We are continuing to talk with individuals that we're interested in and work through the interview process. As I'm sure all can appreciate, this is a very important hire for Penn State and, as a result, the search committee is taking a very deliberate and measured approach to the process in order to identify the coach that best fits the requirements of the position.
"We look forward to introducing our new football coach at the appropriate time. In the interim, I'd like to wish everyone happy holidays as well as remind all Penn Staters to support our team and its 23 seniors as they compete against the 12-1 Houston Cougars in the TicketCity Bowl in Dallas on January 2nd."
Key phrase: "very deliberate and measured approach." Penn State is taking its time with the search, which is nearing a month since the school announced its search committee, led by Joyner.

The statement suggests the new coach won't be named before the bowl game, but these things always have the potential to accelerate. Joyner undoubtedly is aware of the view that Penn State has moved too slowly with this process, particularly with recruiting season in full swing.

But if there were ever a time to ensure the right hire is made, this would be it.

steelerfan
12-22-2011, 05:15 PM
^^^

That was a whole lot of nothing.

psusnoop
12-22-2011, 08:58 PM
^^^

That was a whole lot of nothing.

JBHuskers
12-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Penn State to go after Titans head coach Munchak? From Insider:

The Mike Munchak to Penn State train appears to be picking up some steam.

"Donor-types buzzing as if Munchak is done deal," David Jones of the Harrisburg Patriot-News tweeted. "Heard same thing 2 (weeks) ago. (Believe) it when he's on a podium in (State College)."

SmoothPancakes
12-28-2011, 09:11 AM
And Munchak tells Penn State: No!

ESPN NCAAF - Schefter: Titans coach Mike Munchak told Penn State not interested in his alma mater's coaching job

JBHuskers
12-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Today's No Shit Sherlock story of the day goes to....

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/insiderpsu.jpg

JeffHCross
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Latest rumor I've heard is that:

HC: Bill Cowher
OC: Jon Gruden
DC: Tony DungyThat's not a rumor, that's a pipe dream. Whoever started that as a "rumor" is giving it too much credence by calling it that. :smh:

That'd be like me saying that there are "rumors" that certain Victoria's Secret models are interested in dating me. Has about as much likelihood :D

( And yes, I know it's old ... couldn't comment on it because I couldn't log in when I first saw it )

psusnoop
01-03-2012, 07:19 AM
That's not a rumor, that's a pipe dream. Whoever started that as a "rumor" is giving it too much credence by calling it that. :smh:

That'd be like me saying that there are "rumors" that certain Victoria's Secret models are interested in dating me. Has about as much likelihood :D

( And yes, I know it's old ... couldn't comment on it because I couldn't log in when I first saw it )

:D:D it was 100% sarcasm :D:D:D

JBHuskers
01-03-2012, 10:06 AM
:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

morsdraconis
01-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I wasn't gonna say anything...

psusnoop
01-03-2012, 11:09 AM

JBHuskers
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Today's Penn State coaching search winds are blowing towards Rutgers Head Coach Greg Schiano.

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Today's Penn State coaching search winds are blowing towards Rutgers Head Coach Greg Schiano.

The daily winds are certainly blowing something, yesterday it was Peterson till he was given an extension. It was Richt earlier in the day as well but now with the swift key strokes it's now Schiano :smh:

I don't even know who I want as a HC anymore.

steelerfan
01-04-2012, 12:27 PM
That's not a rumor, that's a pipe dream. Whoever started that as a "rumor" is giving it too much credence by calling it that. :smh:

Christ, Holycross. Really?

:fp:

JBHuskers
01-04-2012, 12:37 PM
Christ, Holycross. Really?

:fp:

Yeah I think that is the first time I ever used a full line of :fp: 's

:fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

JBHuskers
01-04-2012, 12:38 PM
The daily winds are certainly blowing something, yesterday it was Peterson till he was given an extension. It was Richt earlier in the day as well but now with the swift key strokes it's now Schiano :smh:

I don't even know who I want as a HC anymore.

This was posted on ESPN Insider at 9:30 today.

UPDATE: Another extension from Boise State to Chris Petersen may have finally slammed that door shut on Penn State, but one of the names initially associated with the school has percolated. Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano, a Penn State assistant coach from 1990-95, is again drawing interest.

"I've been hearing a lot of talk throughout the agent community that something is going on with Schiano," an agent told Mike Poorman and Ben Jones of StateCollege.com. "His name keeps on popping up in conjunction with Penn State among people I know."

psuexv
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
I saw one article that said the government should hire Joyner and that chick that are running the hiring process. The amount of smoke screens and the ability to keep it a total secret is amazing.

Nobody has any idea and writing articles about who they "think" it will be.

steelerfan
01-04-2012, 01:37 PM
The government should hire them because they are wasting time and resources without accomplishing anything. They'd fit right in at a government office. :nod:

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
The government should hire them because they are wasting time and resources without accomplishing anything. They'd fit right in at a government office. :nod:

Ahh they aren't wasting time, if the hire is a good one like we are being led to believe then the time and resources will have been well spent. If it's a fudder dud then that is another story.

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 01:45 PM
This was posted on ESPN Insider at 9:30 today.

UPDATE: Another extension from Boise State to Chris Petersen may have finally slammed that door shut on Penn State, but one of the names initially associated with the school has percolated. Rutgers head coach Greg Schiano, a Penn State assistant coach from 1990-95, is again drawing interest.

"I've been hearing a lot of talk throughout the agent community that something is going on with Schiano," an agent told Mike Poorman and Ben Jones of StateCollege.com. "His name keeps on popping up in conjunction with Penn State among people I know."

Poorman and Jones know as much about the next PSU coach as I do. Lots of smoke, still waiting to see the fire here.

steelerfan
01-04-2012, 01:49 PM
The names I'm hearing for PSU are Amos Alonzo Stagg, Vince Lombardi, John Wooden, and Carrot Top.

*Let's see if JHC disputes these. :whistle:

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I saw one article that said the government should hire Joyner and that chick that are running the hiring process. The amount of smoke screens and the ability to keep it a total secret is amazing.

Nobody has any idea and writing articles about who they "think" it will be.

What chick are you talking about?

Dave Joyner and Ira Lubert are both men and are the two driving this bus :dunno:

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
The names I'm hearing for PSU are Amos Alonzo Stagg, Vince Lombardi, John Wooden, and Carrot Top.

*Let's see if JHC disputes these. :whistle:

:D:D

steelerfan
01-04-2012, 01:52 PM
like we are being led to believe

That part, at least, sounds EXACTLY like government work. :nod:

psusnoop
01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
That part, at least, sounds EXACTLY like government work. :nod:

Gotta agree with that :D:D

JBHuskers
01-04-2012, 02:00 PM

JeffHCross
01-04-2012, 09:18 PM
:D:D it was 100% sarcasm :D:D:DYou have to admit that with the way the rumor mill has been going lately, that was entirely possible to be a legitimate rumor. :D

:whistle:

*Let's see if JHC disputes these. :whistle:Carrot Top would be a perfectly good hire. Fit right in.

baseballplyrmvp
01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
just coming across the espn ticker now......penn state will name new england patriots' oc, bill o'brian, as the new head coach.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 06:37 AM
just coming across the espn ticker now......penn state will name new england patriots' oc, bill o'brian, as the new head coach.

Still something fishy here.

Allowing him to finish coaching the playoffs?? WTF would be the point from PSU's standpoint. Recruiting ends the 8th then fires back up on the 11th so waiting till maybe after LOI day makes perfect sense for your HC to come in. Calling BS on this till I hear more information.

Also nothing coming out of PSU late last night nor as of this post regarding Billy. Seems and smells of something but then again this is ESPN :smh:

JBHuskers
01-06-2012, 08:14 AM
My Breaking News app on my phone had came out with the story too....but going back it's the famous "sources" from ESPN.

psuexv
01-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Still something fishy here.

Allowing him to finish coaching the playoffs?? WTF would be the point from PSU's standpoint. Recruiting ends the 8th then fires back up on the 11th so waiting till maybe after LOI day makes perfect sense for your HC to come in. Calling BS on this till I hear more information.

Also nothing coming out of PSU late last night nor as of this post regarding Billy. Seems and smells of something but then again this is ESPN :smh:

The only thing that I could see with him staying with NE for the playoffs is we keep some coaches on staff that can handle the recruiting. Plus they are on a bye week so maybe he would be able to do some traveling.

psuexv
01-06-2012, 10:09 AM
My Breaking News app on my phone had came out with the story too....but going back it's the famous "sources" from ESPN.

There seems to be a little more heat behind this fire but you still never know. I usually trust Mortenson but :dunno:

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 10:11 AM
There seems to be a little more heat behind this fire but you still never know. I usually trust Mortenson but :dunno:

It is getting warmer quickly here today it seems, but I'm still in the :dunno: phase and quite honestly in the denial phase for this hire. Seems like a rental to me.

psuexv
01-06-2012, 10:15 AM
It is getting warmer quickly here today it seems, but I'm still in the :dunno: phase and quite honestly in the denial phase for this hire. Seems like a rental to me.

I'm waiting for official word from the University.

Probably a rental, yes. But personally it's probably the best we are going to get right now with circumstances the way we are. PSU fans need to realize that from here on out we are probably looking at 6-10 years for head coaches.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm waiting for official word from the University.

Probably a rental, yes. But personally it's probably the best we are going to get right now with circumstances the way we are. PSU fans need to realize that from here on out we are probably looking at 6-10 years for head coaches.

I agree, there isn't going to be another tenure like Joe my problem is I just don't want a quick turnaround.

psuexv
01-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree, there isn't going to be another tenure like Joe my problem is I just don't want a quick turnaround.

True, but you need a coach to get you through this rough patch with the Sandusky thing and possible probation or whatever the NCAA decides to do. If it's this guy and then after all this blows over there are other more qualified coaches that are interested I'll take it.

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
True, but you need a coach to get you through this rough patch with the Sandusky thing and possible probation or whatever the NCAA decides to do. If it's this guy and then after all this blows over there are other more qualified coaches that are interested I'll take it.

Good point, but if it is this guy then why not hire him earlier?

Waiting is silly, I mean he'll have 1 day of contact with recruits possible. Then nothing for 3 days then back at it again but wait oops he is possibly going to coach through the playoffs??? This makes no sense, he will miss talking to all these recruits before Signing day and that is silly.

psuexv
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Good point, but if it is this guy then why not hire him earlier?

Waiting is silly, I mean he'll have 1 day of contact with recruits possible. Then nothing for 3 days then back at it again but wait oops he is possibly going to coach through the playoffs??? This makes no sense, he will miss talking to all these recruits before Signing day and that is silly.

IF it is this guy, they didn't hire him earlier because they just interviewed him. He was in for the interview like 2 days ago.

And just because he is coaching in NE doesn't mean he can't talk to recruits. There is this new invention called a telephone. :D

psusnoop
01-06-2012, 11:02 AM
IF it is this guy, they didn't hire him earlier because they just interviewed him. He was in for the interview like 2 days ago.

And just because he is coaching in NE doesn't mean he can't talk to recruits. There is this new invention called a telephone. :D

I'm with you on the "IF" part I never said it was final or anything just to be clear.

Also I'm with you, while our "possible new coach" is calling said recruit the recruit can tell him to hang on a second Mr. Meyer asked for a drink of water. I mean it sounds all dandy that we have this technology that we can call, text, video chat with but nothing makes more of an impression on a recruit then an in home visit for the recruit and the parents. Something "possible new coach" just isn't going to have the time to do without messing up the game planning surrounding the Patriots run for a possible Championship.