PDA

View Full Version : What Style of Offense will you run?

Coachdenz
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
I have always been more of a Pro style. I have always tried to be a balanced team. I have a feeling this year a lot of people will try the spread attack and who knows I might try to wing it more, but it seems like running the football will be fun this year.

Deuce
07-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I usually start off with run balanced. Once I have a few winning seasons my OC 'moves' on and I pick a new playbook. Usually GT's or Air Force

Solidice
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm usually more of a pro-style, leaning toward more run than pass offense. However, when I play with Texas Tech, well, I pass a lot with the Air Raid. :cool:

in the 360 TGTOD(or whatever initials we're going to use :D ) with Maryland, going to use Pro-style all the way most likely. just not sure which playbook I'll use and for that I'll need the game to see the formations that are in each playbook.

morsdraconis
07-01-2010, 10:10 PM
It depends on my personnel and really my flavor of the month. Probably start with a One Back system for most of the teams I'll be playing and work my way from there.

JeffHCross
07-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Pro or Pistol. I'm going to try to find a playbook that seems reasonably close to the West Coast (largely Splitbacks) offense of the 1995 Ohio State Buckeyes. If I can't find one that satisfies me, I'll probably run Nevada's Pistol, as it is my second favorite offensive style.

AustinWolv
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Spread.

HuskerBlitz
07-01-2010, 11:43 PM
I may go back to the Pistol. I ran the Pistol on the '09 PS2 game and loved it. I had Nevada type rushing numbers and it was great. I'm really hoping the Pistol is better in '11.

HWill
07-01-2010, 11:46 PM
This year i'm going to try them all out, but i'll be going Spread/Air Raid most of the time.

ebin
07-02-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm looking forward to actually being able to run the ball out of the spread

souljahbill
07-02-2010, 06:05 AM
I've been Pro-style/West Coast since the Gamecube/PS2 days and this year, I may change up to Pistol, depending on the non-option running plays. I'm not an option guy so I very rarely run one of those plays.

Rudy
07-02-2010, 06:17 AM
I've always been a pro-style two TE type of guy. I still like the I formation but I prefer two TEs. That second TE is a bigger weapon than a FB who rarely touches the ball and he also balances out the formation. If I could ever recruit a great FB I may run more two back systems and slide the FB into some ACE formations with formation subs. I think the evolution of the FB into a guy who only blocks on run downs, rarely catches the ball and averages one rush attempt per game has made the position almost obsolete. Why not just throw an extra OL out there if he's never going to touch the ball or scare anyone? I do remember the Kevin Mack days in Cleveland and even the Larry Centers pass catching days but nobody seems to want those guys anymore.

maij17
07-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Will try the pistol before going back to my power one back offense with the idaho playbook :) be prepared for tackle over

Kwizzy
07-02-2010, 07:17 AM
This year I'm going to TRY to find a playbook that's sort of a power spread. If you watch the Holiday bowl from last year, Nebraska started to mix a combination of traditional & shotgun power formations with pulling olineman to get a lot of blockers to the point of attack. They especially put emphasis on the QB run game, running QB powers, zone reads, draws, and options. They also mixed in some playaction for the deep ball & some west coast short passing routes. I realize that's a lot to ask for, & I don't expect to get exactly what I want until they add create a play and/or custom playbooks, but the playbook I can find that's closest will be the one I use.

psusnoop
07-02-2010, 07:30 AM
For me I enjoy power formations. I love to take advantage of a unbalanced line and run the ball right at you. I like double TE's and formations with FB's. I still like getting touches to my FB's, I try to get about 3-5 carries a game from a FB and I might even try to dump the ball off to them once in awhile just to keep the defense honest. I don't like passing the flats with my HB because I feel it is a disadvantage to the CPU or human because of the coverage problems but I'll do it once in awhile on first down never looking for a huge gain as much as I am to put a little doubt in the minds of the person I'm playing.
I like running the ball 30 to 50 times a game and throwing less then 15. That is the perfect gameplan in my eyes. I also love the 3-4 defense and bring pressure from zone blitzes.

Oneback
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Right now I am torn between running a zone read spread offense or a power one-back offense. It will more than likely come down to the feel I have for the zone read in this years game, so far in the demo I have been pretty successful with Terrell Pyror but not as much with any of the other quarterbacks and if my offense must have superman at quarterback I will be asking for trouble.

I've also been really impressed with some of the new formations/plays for the one-back offense and it's a lot easier to find a running back that can tote the rock than it is a true dual threat quarterback.

psusnoop
07-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Pryor is the only QB that I have felt comfortable with running the the zone read spread with as well Oneback. I have been trying my hardest to get that implemented into my arsenal but I'm doubting it right now. I agree it is much easier finding a HB that can tote the rock then a stud QB that you can do everything with.

In my one online dynasty I do have South Florida so I might use the zone read with them and then in the other dynasties stick to my power running game and take my chances. It is going to be a fun first week with the game to figure this stuff out.

Oneback
07-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Pryor is the only QB that I have felt comfortable with running the the zone read spread with as well Oneback. I have been trying my hardest to get that implemented into my arsenal but I'm doubting it right now. I agree it is much easier finding a HB that can tote the rock then a stud QB that you can do everything with.

In my one online dynasty I do have South Florida so I might use the zone read with them and then in the other dynasties stick to my power running game and take my chances. It is going to be a fun first week with the game to figure this stuff out.

I agree. The first week for me will be spent figuring out what exactly I will need to be able to run the zone read. This will help me determine if I can run with it or just scrap it for dynasty play. If I were in a lesser dynasty where I could get away with running the ball all the time from the spread and I could get away with a quarterback that doesn't throw the ball well it wouldn't be an issue. In Powerhouse however, guys will figure out a way to shut down the running game so I have to be able to be balanced, which may push me towards a one-back prostyle offense.

AustinWolv
07-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm looking forward to actually being able to run the ball out of the spread

This. Had a nice zone read last night with Clemson's QB who isn't all that fast, but it was picture perfect.

Believe it or not, JeffH, I tried Pryor a couple nights ago. His accuracy sucks compared to other QBs in the game, he missed several open receivers for me, but yeah, he could move.

I've tried all the starting spread QBs in the demo on the zone read and yeah, some are better than others, but the plays work if you set them up, which is cool.

psusnoop
07-02-2010, 08:24 AM
I think I get to anxious on the play for some reason. Usually I think of my self as a pretty patient runner but for some reason I also rush the zone reads which as we all know, blows up on you big time. Nothing worse then 2nd and 14.

Aglemar
07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
The OD I am in last for 10 months. I am going to go with the Run and Shoot for about five months, and then I will probably change to Prostyle for the next 5.

razorback44
07-02-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm going to go with my staple pro style offense again this year. I will probably check out Arkansas, South Carolina, Illinois and Wisconsin's PB's to start. I used SC's and Arkansas' most of this past year and want to see what additions were made to them. I'm also tossing around the idea of using a pro style book that has some Pistol in it. I have enjoyed using it in the demo and it could provide a little change of pace from my all game under center style.

SmoothPancakes
07-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Navy's triple option all day long baby!

JBHuskers
07-02-2010, 09:14 AM
For my TeamBuilder dynasty I'm going to try out the Pistol offense.

For other OD's I'll probably just roll with what the team has. I don't stick to one specific playbook ever.

ebin
07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
I've tried all the starting spread QBs in the demo on the zone read and yeah, some are better than others, but the plays work if you set them up, which is cool.

Yeah, playing with the demo has me anxious to get my hands on the full game. Not having functional zone read plays was one of the most frustrating aspects of recent iterations of the game.

gschwendt
07-02-2010, 11:25 AM
The only thing I'll say about the Shotgun Read Option is that the other night when playing JB, I admitted to him that I think I'm addicted to the Shotgun Read Option; lots of fun making the right read and seeing the success from it. This is coming from someone who already loved trying to create a Shotgun Triple Option running game in years past.

JBHuskers
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
The only thing I'll say about the Shotgun Read Option is that the other night when playing JB, I admitted to him that I think I'm addicted to the Shotgun Read Option; lots of fun making the right read and seeing the success from it. This is coming from someone who already loved trying to create a Shotgun Triple Option running game in years past.

Definitely.

Flav
07-02-2010, 12:52 PM
Spread--

It is what Michigan runs, and I used to play in a spread system back when I played in high school so I know all the reads and how the system works :)

HawkFan
07-02-2010, 07:44 PM
My personal dynasty with Idaho State I will be running the Air Raid offense.

The online dynasty I am in is going to be an I-form heavy playbook.

UGA14
07-02-2010, 09:02 PM
I'll convert Georgia to a run and shoot or spread after a few years. I love throwing the ball all over the field with 5-wide sets. Usually I end up with an awesome group of WRs that makes that possible. I look more for a speedy HB who can catch out of the backfield.

texacotea
07-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Been running air it out type offense the past couple years, and will prob check out the run & shoot or the air raid. Mix it up alittle.But mainly throw the rock around

JeffHCross
07-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Believe it or not, JeffH, I tried Pryor a couple nights ago. His accuracy sucks compared to other QBs in the game, he missed several open receivers for me, but yeah, he could move. I can't really believe you played with the Bucks, but I agree with your assessment. They must have made some serious tweaks to accuracy this year, because Pryor felt completely different from any QB I used last year.

AustinWolv
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I can't really believe you played with the Bucks, but I agree with your assessment. They must have made some serious tweaks to accuracy this year, because Pryor felt completely different from any QB I used last year.

Well, I had actually tried other backup QBs that were fast on the other teams to see how a fast guy feels in the spread run game and such, so I decided to see how Pryor felt as a starter with supposed fast high ratings. He was way off-target and didn't like how his game, so I quit early. :p

CLW
07-04-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm usually more of a "pro style" offense guy. However, this year all of the different styles intrigues me and I'm going to try them all. In my OD that I run we are doing a MAC only dynasty. I think I'm going to run the no huddle spread (like real life) with them. For my usual Duke dynasty I'll probably run a pro/multiple offensive set. I also want to check out the pistol and triple option as well.

Nothingface
07-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Probably the same boring offense I always run. Way too conservative.

jaymo76
07-04-2010, 11:45 PM
For my TeamBuilder dynasty I'm going to try out the Pistol offense.

For other OD's I'll probably just roll with what the team has. I don't stick to one specific playbook ever.

Yeah me too. I really like the Pistol but it was tough to run in 10.

razorback44
07-04-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm just curious to see what, if any, differences there will be in the Nevada, Ohio, Indiana and Pistol playbooks.

gschwendt
07-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, based on my new favorite playbook, it's listed as Multiple but it has a strong representation of Option.

razorback44
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, based on my new favorite playbook, it's listed as Multiple but it has a strong representation of Option.

Does it still have some Wishbone in it?

gschwendt
07-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Does it still have some Wishbone in it?
Maybe...

razorback44
07-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Maybe...

:D

I'm looking for an old school playbook for my offline dynasty and am hoping that is the one.

gschwendt
07-05-2010, 10:27 AM
:D

I'm looking for an old school playbook for my offline dynasty and am hoping that is the one.
To clarify, when I said "listed as Multiple", I meant that the playbook isn't titled Multiple but rather the style of the playbook is called Multiple according to this year's designation. This particular playbook is not a generic... it's team's playbook.

razorback44
07-05-2010, 10:37 AM
To clarify, when I said "listed as Multiple", I meant that the playbook isn't titled Multiple but rather the style of the playbook is called Multiple according to this year's designation. This particular playbook is not a generic... it's team's playbook.

Interesting. I'm wondering whose it could be? Perhaps Air Force? Maybe a smaller college? I know I can't wait until the 9th when you guys can start talking. I hope you three don't have plans next weekend! :D

Solidice
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
It's probably Temple. I know they had Wishbone formation in NCAA '09, but they didn't in NCAA 10 I don't think.

Oneback
07-05-2010, 01:19 PM
It would be awesome if that "mulitple" playbook was a lot like the 1995 Nebraska playbook.

razorback44
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
It would be awesome if that "mulitple" playbook was a lot like the 1995 Nebraska playbook.

That would be killer. That would definitely be my favorite playbook if they ever did "classic" playbooks.

Oneback
07-05-2010, 03:08 PM
That would be killer. That would definitely be my favorite playbook if they ever did "classic" playbooks.

You and a lot of others on this board I am sure.

starter
07-05-2010, 03:16 PM
I going to learn all the offensive styles. Now with formation subs I can be more creative. I a pro style guy, but I interested in the spread. I like some of the issuses the pistol creates. I just don't want to limit myself.

jschwa17
07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Flexbone baby Ricky Dobbs will be leading my Midshipmen to the promised land in my 4 user dynasty

SmoothPancakes
07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Flexbone baby Ricky Dobbs will be leading my Midshipmen to the promised land in my 4 user dynasty

Nice! Always great to see other Navy fans on this board! :)

VolPett
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
So far one of the most pleasent suprises from running the spread in the demo has been the draw plays.

IMO, when it comes to the draw, everything promised in developer diary about the spreadis 100% on the money.

Kingpin32
07-06-2010, 11:55 PM
For my offline dynasty, I think I'm gonna roll with the Oregon spread offense. For my online dynasty, I've been thinking about running a flexbone offense, since Arizona has 2 good tailbacks.

jschwa17
07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Nice! Always great to see other Navy fans on this board! :)

Yea man right here I was born and bred in Annapolis Maryland! Im actually a Penn State fan but I root for the Midshipmen hard core. I love the whole atmoshphere of games at Navy.

steelerfan
07-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Im actually a Penn State fan

The only part that made sense to me. ;)

jschwa17
07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Haha "Thank You". And on another note has anyone tried running a zone read play or triple option on the demo? Is it just me or does it take an awfully long time to hadn the ball off. You have to hold down X or A for a god awful long time

JeffHCross
07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Pro or Pistol. I'm going to try to find a playbook that seems reasonably close to the West Coast (largely Splitbacks) offense of the 1995 Ohio State Buckeyes. If I can't find one that satisfies me, I'll probably run Nevada's Pistol, as it is my second favorite offensive style.Looking like either San Diego State or Tulane's playbook for me. Or the generic Pro-Style book ... if only it had I-Form Normal. It's got everything else I want :(

Aglemar
07-09-2010, 05:11 PM
The OD I am in last for 10 months. I am going to go with the Run and Shoot for about five months, and then I will probably change to Prostyle for the next 5.

I am going to stick with the Run and Shoot, and I will most likely use SMU's playbook. I dont think any of the RnS books are complete and I am very skeptical about how effectively WRs will utilize choice/read/switch routes. Still maybe my attempts to clone Earl Campbell will come to fruition this year, because they certainly didnt last year, or the year before that.

I just wish EA would release the playbooks prior to the game's release so that I can complete my call sheet prior to the start of my OD.

SHO
07-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Run and Shoot. I love throwing the ball.

TheShockDoctor
07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I will have to try them all out but unless something grabs my attention I'm gonna be going 100% spread.

beartide06
07-09-2010, 08:46 PM
I will probably run an One back system and keep the passing and running pretty balanced. Depending on the situation and the look of the defense , I'll just adjust on the fly.

Kingpin32
07-10-2010, 01:09 PM
After seeing the Pistol offense in action, I may be trying that system out too.