PDA

View Full Version : The College Sports Debate Thread

JBHuskers
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Just like in the Pro Thread, I'll start one here too...

Will the recent developments at Penn State take the heat off of Luke Fickell at Ohio State, who is 6-3?

bdoughty
11-11-2011, 02:35 PM
As long as they beat Michigan.

JeffHCross
11-13-2011, 09:34 PM
The developments at Penn State have no bearing on Coach Fickell's future, in my opinion. If we had won the conference, he would have had a decent chance to keep his job. The loss to Purdue made me 95% confident he won't get another year. If we can convincingly beat Penn State and Michigan, then maybe he will win enough support. Just winning isn't enough at this point, though.

If anything, I think the developments at Penn State will make the collective Ohio State fanbase even more aggressive about getting a "big name" coach. Wouldn't want Penn State to get somebody we could/should of, in some people's minds.

cdj
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
The developments at Penn State are keeping some national discussion away from tOSU's struggles (now 6-4), but it's not going to change anything in Columbus. Fickell is likely gone and the PSU debacle likely turns-off Urban Meyer, freeing him for the Bucks.

JeffHCross
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Stepping away from the selfishness of wanting my team to win (and ignoring the fact that I think Luke is a solid long-term pick for us), I don't want to see Urban Meyer in coaching again. The stress got borderline close to killing him last time ... I want to see him hold to his word and stay retired.

And yes, whether or not they're nationally discussing Ohio State (which, btw, was in control of their own destiny regarding getting to the conference championship until losing at Purdue), that doesn't make a difference to the fanbase in Columbus.

JBHuskers
11-15-2011, 08:20 AM
I just wonder if that stress thing was made up as a way for him to get out of Florida since his golden boy Tebow was gone.

He saw the writing on the wall that this team wouldn't be at that level with the current class coming in, and look...they're not ranked.

psuexv
11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
I just wonder if that stress thing was made up as a way for him to get out of Florida since his golden boy Tebow was gone.

He saw the writing on the wall that this team wouldn't be at that level with the current class coming in, and look...they're not ranked.

This is the main reason I'm on the fence about Meyer. Is he really that good of a coach?

Bowling Green for 2 years - 17-6
Utah for 2 years 22-2
Florida for 6 years 65-15

At Bowling Green and Utah you can probably say that he won with other coaches players. At Florida he won one MNC with Zooks team and won one because of Tebow(maybe). The year after Tebow leaves he's 8-5 and look at the team now.

Granted, I give him credit for the coaching that he did, but he's really never put together a team and won over a period of time. It's hard to judge the 2nd MNC and the success that he had during the Tebow years as we don't know if that was him or Tebow.