PDA

View Full Version : The Gamer Petition

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
http://action.theeca.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=1781

The Supreme Court of the United States has agreed to hear the State of California’s infamous ‘violent video game case,’ Schwarzenegger v. EMA. That means that this year, or early next, the Court is going to decide whether to agree with the lower federal courts or not. Agreeing would mean that they believe that video games are, and should continue to be, First Amendment protected speech; just like books, movies and music. The court disagreeing would mean that they think video games should be treated differently. This could lead to new bills and laws curtailing video game access in states across the country.

I'd rather see this coming out of Video Game Voters Network than the ECA, but either way a stand is good. What say you?

JBHuskers
06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
I say 110% of anything that is blamed on a video game should be blamed on the parent first.

I played violent video games when I was 10 or 11, I listed to gangsta rap at the same age....you don't see me with a criminal record :D

JeffHCross
07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
I was at a Gamestop one day and the sales guy was telling me about parents that would ask if a Mature-rated game included sex or was "just violence". He said he would reply "No, you can only take life, you can't make it."

I've thought about that a few times since and realized how totally screwed up our society is.

texacotea
07-01-2010, 06:36 AM
I say 110% of anything that is blamed on a video game should be blamed on the parent first.

I played violent video games when I was 10 or 11, I listed to gangsta rap at the same age....you don't see me with a criminal record :D

and now you are a DJ at a skrip club :)

I agree with JB, it starts with the parents I myself was like JB listen to rap and shot up fools on the ps while i was younger but no part of me has wanted to go to the mall and "open up shop" on anyone.

AustinWolv
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM

That we know of! You are just a guy on a internet forum, you could be a serial killer!

;)

Nah, +1. It all starts with parents doing their job.

steelerfan
07-01-2010, 07:46 AM
The games have ratings for a reason.

Several bands have been sued (Slayer comes to mind) for putting thoughts of rape, murder and suicide into kids' heads. The courts have consistently sided with the artists. To me, this is no different. I think that kids who are prone to do these types of things (usually the result of years of bad parenting) are drawn to certain types of media. A kid that is mad at the world is going to listen to, say, Cannibal Corpse instead of some bubble gum shit like Brittney (Brittany?) Spears. That doesn't mean that everyone that listens to violent music is going to snap at some point or is drawn to it for the same reasons. We, as a society, want someone to blame. It's not little Johnny's fault, the devil made him do it.

The bottom line is, people who do terrible things like that are going to do them anyway. It's a crutch to blame music or video games or movies. And we would never think of pointing a finger at the parents who neglected or abused the kid for years which caused their anger to begin with.

steelerfan
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I was at a Gamestop one day and the sales guy was telling me about parents that would ask if a Mature-rated game included sex or was "just violence". He said he would reply "No, you can only take life, you can't make it."

I've thought about that a few times since and realized how totally screwed up our society is.

That is f'd.

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 08:14 AM
and now you are a DJ at a skrip club :)

Well then things turned out well I'd say :D

morsdraconis
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
I've always been of the feeling that ANYTHING that a child does is because of their environment, be that at home, school, or on the street.

Sure, there are always exceptions to every rule, fucked up kids that just go and do shit for no apparent reason, but often, it's stupidity that breeds ignorance to the point of thinking that hurting someone is the justifiable means to an end.

I listen to "violent" music and I've had no problems at all. Sure, as a teenager I was angry, but hell, what teenager isn't? So many different emotions running through your body, it's hard not to get angry at stupid shit.

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
I was a teenager at the right time....the grunge movement :D

steelerfan
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
I listen to "violent" music and I've had no problems at all. Sure, as a teenager I was angry, but hell, what teenager isn't? So many different emotions running through your body, it's hard not to get angry at stupid shit.

Ditto.

skipwondah33
07-02-2010, 07:31 AM

I've done so many research papers and discussions about this throughout high school and college pointing out the same thing.

Something already has to be wrong with an individual if a video game can push them over the edge.

JBHuskers
07-02-2010, 08:44 AM
I've done so many research papers and discussions about this throughout high school and college pointing out the same thing.

Something already has to be wrong with an individual if a video game can push them over the edge.

Kinda like golfing on Predator with gale force winds? :D

skipwondah33
07-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Kinda like golfing on Predator with gale force winds? :D

Definitely...although I prefer to call your settings hurricane-like conditions. lol