PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Basketball 2011-2012 Season Discussion Thread

SmoothPancakes
10-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Sure, college basketball games don't actually start for a couple weeks yet, but it's Midnight Madness time right now. Been going on for a couple hours now and watching Duke at the moment on ESPNU. Can't wait for things to get tipped off on November 7th.

JBHuskers
10-15-2011, 01:26 PM
It's going to be king if we don't have NBA.

CLW
10-19-2011, 06:06 PM
It's going to be king if we don't have NBA.

NCAA hoops has ALWAYS been king over that GARBAGE they try to call basketball in the Association where it is illegal to attempt to even play something resembling defense.

SUPER pumped for the hoops season to get here.

K should pass Knight very early on this season as he sits at 900 right now needing 3 to tie and 4 Ws to pass Knight.

The WAY too early Final 4 Picks:

:Kentucky: :sick:
:North_Carolina: :sick:

:Ohio_State:

:Connecticut: :sick:

I don't know why but I'm not particularly high on my :Duke: squad this year. I've NEVER been high on the Plumlees and Rivers just seems like he could be an attitude/cancer problem waiting to happen. Although the last time I wasn't very high on :Duke: Zoubek turned into a BEAST and they cut down the nets after layin' the smackdown on someone's Neers. :nod:

SmoothPancakes
10-19-2011, 06:38 PM
NCAA hoops has ALWAYS been king over that GARBAGE they try to call basketball in the Association where it is illegal to attempt to even play something resembling defense.

SUPER pumped for the hoops season to get here.

K should pass Knight very early on this season as he sits at 900 right now needing 3 to tie and 4 Ws to pass Knight.

The WAY too early Final 4 Picks:

:Kentucky: :sick:
:North_Carolina: :sick:

:Connecticut: :sick:

:Kentucky:, :North_Carolina: and :Connecticut: are pretty safe picks in any year. :Ohio_State: I think isn't going to be as great this year. At least not as good as they have been in the past 5 years. They lost a lot to graduation and the draft. William Buford is the only senior on the team and only two juniors. They are an extremely young team. While they do still have Buford, Aaron Craft and Jared Sullinger, they're going to have to find someone to replace Jon Diebler and David Lighty.

Depending on how good Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan State, and maybe Illinois, will be or can be this year, I could see Ohio State repeating as Big Ten champs, but I could just as easily see them finishing anywhere from top 3 to middle of the conference. I'm gonna guess they make the tournament, then drop out in the Sweet Sixteen again.

How about mid-majors? What kind of teams does everyone think we'll see come out of nowhere? After the past number of years with :Butler:, :George_Mason: and :Virginia_Commonweal:, there's bound to be someone who is going to take over the title of Cinderella. :Butler: is pretty much out of it after their losses to graduation last year. :George_Mason: could go on another run, but they've made some pretty fast exits lately. My off the top of the head guesses, I'm going to say :Virginia_Commonweal: (even with their losses from last season), :Richmond: or :Vermont:

morsdraconis
10-19-2011, 07:54 PM
:Connecticut: was nothing when Walker had a bad game last year, and they won't be anything this year without him. :Syracuse: is the safe pick this year for the :Big_East: representative.

CLW
10-25-2011, 06:53 PM
1st Coaches Poll Out:

RANK
TEAM

:North_Carolina:

:Kentucky:

:Connecticut:

:Syracuse:

:Duke:

:Vanderbilt:

:Louisville:

:Memphis:

:Florida:

:Pitt:

:Baylor:

:Kansas:

:Wisconsin:

:Xavier:

:Arizona:

:Alabama:

:Michigan:

:Texas_A&M:

:UCLA:

:Marquette:

:Cincinnati:

:Gonzaga:

:Cal:

:Missouri:

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
These polls are always a fuckin' joke.

CLW
10-26-2011, 10:36 AM

Yeah but they make for interesting water cooler talk. IMHO :Kansas: and :Louisville: appear to be overrated and :Baylor: and :Michigan: appear to be underrated.

BCEagles
10-26-2011, 04:15 PM
I agree, I think Clemson could be a surprise team this year. I think syracuse is also a safe bet to have a good season.

BCEagles
10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I've always preffered college basketball over the NBA so im glad to hear more people will probably be watching this year due to the lockout.

JBHuskers
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Michigan State and North Carlonia clash on Veteran's Day. Both will be wearing Camo unis....I found North Carolina's, still looking for MSU's.

http://www.10news.com/2011/1027/29602551_640X480.jpg

JBHuskers
10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Here's Michigan State's ... there will not be any player names on the back, just USA.

http://cmsimg.detnews.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C3&Date=20111026&Category=SPORTS0202&ArtNo=110260408&Ref=AR&Profile=1361

bdoughty
10-27-2011, 04:39 PM
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2nstkk3.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/344821u.jpg

There, we have seen them all. :fp:

CLW
10-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Texas A&M Coach diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Coached at my alma matter Murray State. Wish him and his family nothing but the best.

jaymo76
10-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Can't wait to pull out NCAA BASKETBALL 10 again. As soon as REAL college hoops is a go I will begin my next season. I still haven't won it all as last year I blew it against Syracus in the championship round. This year it's mine... I hope.

morsdraconis
11-09-2011, 04:15 PM
College Basketball officially started on Monday with Arizona coming from behind to win against Valapraiso, but tonight are some pretty interesting matchups that are actually on TV (as well as all being available on ESPN3):

Akron @ Mississippi St 7:00pm ESPNU
Lehigh @ St. John's 7:00pm ESPN2
Liberty @ #20 Texas A&M 8:00pm
Duquesne @ #16 Arizona 9:00pm ESPN2

Pretty excited!

CLW
11-09-2011, 04:40 PM
:Arizona: looks to be way.... overrated after losing a DII exhibition game and then nearly losing to Valpo.

Kenpom's predictions for tonight:

:Mississippi_State: 73 :Akron: 68

:Arizona: 80 :Duquesne: 70

:St_Johns: 77 :Lehigh: 69

:Texas_A&M: 70 :Liberty: 54

CLW
11-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Two good games on tonight with the Carrier game and :Duke: taking on a VERY solid :Belmont: club.

Here is to hoping all of the UNC players fall off of the carrier and into the ocean to never be found and a solid :Duke: win to kick off the season. :nod:

bdoughty
11-11-2011, 02:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7220727/oklahoma-sooners-ncaa-finds-major-violations-men-basketball

After last season I kinda forgot we had a men's basketball program. :fp:

JBHuskers
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Yeah I definitely wanna check out the Michigan State / North Carolina tonight.

morsdraconis
11-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Sadly, not going to get to watch it. I'll have to watch it later but I'm definitely interested to see how it works with them playing on an aircraft carrier.

BCEagles
11-12-2011, 06:21 PM
UCLA= way overrated, dont be surprised to see Clemson in the top 25 in the near future. Milton Jennings, Devin Booker, Brian Narcisse, Tanner Smith, and Andre Young are all great players. I wish 2k would make another college hoops game, i miss college basketball games and NCAA 10 is horrible.

BCEagles
11-12-2011, 06:25 PM
Watch out for Cleveland State upsetting Vandy tomorrow too, Gary Waters always does a great job coaching the Vikings.

SmoothPancakes
11-13-2011, 02:14 PM
Watch out for Cleveland State upsetting Vandy tomorrow too, Gary Waters always does a great job coaching the Vikings.

At least at the moment, nice call. :D

No. 7 Vanderbilt trails Cleveland State, 37-24, at halftime.

morsdraconis
11-13-2011, 03:10 PM
70-58 Cleveland State over Vanderbilt now with 31 seconds left. Game over Vandy.

SmoothPancakes
11-15-2011, 03:47 AM
It's the most wonderful time of the year! The Tip-Off Marathon is off and running!

Getting things kicked off at midnight, Gonzaga took down Washington State 89-81. Then St. Mary's beat Northern Iowa 57-41. Watching Cal State Northridge at Hawaii right now. Coming up at 6am, it's Drexel at Rider, with Morehead State at College of Charleston at 8am. At 10am, Kent State takes on West Virginia, Belmont at Memphis tipping off at 12 noon, and San Diego sState at #12 Baylor at 2pm.

Heading down the homestretch, Rhoad Island takes on Texas at 4pm, after George Mason fell in a surprise overtime upset, it's Florida International taking on Virginia Tech at 6pm. All tipping off at 7pm, Albany takes on Syracuse, #6 Duke battles Michigan State, Rutgers is at Miami, and La Salle takes on Villanova.

At 8pm, it's #8 Florida at #3 Ohio State as well as Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Oklahoma State. At 9am, #2 Kentucky takes on #11 Kansas. 10pm, it'll be Austin Peay at #22 California. And wrapping things up at 11pm, it's Colorado State at Stanford.

CLW
11-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Yeah some pretty good games going on today especially.

SmoothPancakes
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm especially looking forward to Belmont-Memphis at noon. After the potential upset that Belmont damn near pulled off against Duke, I'm looking forward to their game today. Should be a good one.

morsdraconis
11-16-2011, 05:49 PM
And WVU blows against a talented Kent State team. We're just far too young to be able to compete. Gonna be a long season for the Mountaineer basketball team I'm afraid.

CLW
11-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Coach K passing Knight at 903 what an amazing accomplishment.

I only see Self right now as having a realistic shot of catching him.

Papa LoneStar
11-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I really like the :Texas: backcourt this year with Myck Kabango and J'Covan Brown. It brings a tear in my eye when I realize what this team could be with a sophomore Tristan Thompson in the middle. We are gonna get murdered in the paint this year. With the up-tempo style and a PG who was built for the fast break....it should be a fun season....just hoping for a NCAA tournament bid.

JBHuskers
11-17-2011, 08:45 AM
This just in :Nebraska: plays basketball too! :D

In ESPN The Mag's preview, they predicted Nebraska to be 11th in the conference, but 59th overall out of the 320 teams... :dunno:

morsdraconis
11-17-2011, 09:08 AM
This just in :Nebraska: plays basketball too! :D

In ESPN The Mag's preview, they predicted Nebraska to be 11th in the conference, but 59th overall out of the 320 teams... :dunno:

Cough...Big Ten bias...cough

JBHuskers
11-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Cough...Big Ten bias...cough

Probably...I highly doubt Nebraska is the 59th best team in the nation :D

bdoughty
11-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Someone start knocking down all the Jim Boeheim statues.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7248184/syracuse-police-investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

SmoothPancakes
11-18-2011, 04:21 AM
Well, I wonder when ESPN and the media are going to start jumping on and crucifying anyone and everyone with an association with Syracuse.

CLW
11-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Probably...I highly doubt Nebraska is the 59th best team in the nation :D

You are right they are the 51st best team in the nation.

http://kenpom.com/

cdj
11-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Oklahoma State women's basketball coach Kurt Budke and assistant Miranda Serna have died in a plane crash along with two others, just 10 months after the school commemorated the 10th anniversary of a crash that killed 10 men associated with the men's program.

The plane went down Thursday night in Perry County, Ark., the school said in a news release, killing the pilot and another individual not affiliated with the university.

Link (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7250025/oklahoma-state-cowboys-coach-kurt-budke-assistant-miranda-serna-illed-plane-crash)

bdoughty
11-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Terrible news and to have it happen to Oklahoma St again, tragic. RIP

morsdraconis
11-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Jesus christ watching Kansas play Duke is PAINFUL. Pussy basketball at it's finest (that and the flopfest that is the Dookies). I can't WAIT for WVU to show the Big 12 how basketball is supposed to be played.

CLW
11-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Jesus christ watching Kansas play Duke is PAINFUL. Pussy basketball at it's finest (that and the flopfest that is the Dookies). I can't WAIT for WVU to show the Big 12 how basketball is supposed to be played.

Dude you can hate :Duke: all you want but you really either don't appreciate basketball the way it is supposed to be played or your blinders won't allow you to admit that was an EXCELLENT game.

You better be careful what you wish for. I don't see :West_Virginia: doing anything in hoops in the near future. Playing against a blue blood like :Kansas: at least twice a year will likely be 2 Ls for the Neers. Just sayin'

morsdraconis
11-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Dude you can hate :Duke: all you want but you really either don't appreciate basketball the way it is supposed to be played or your blinders won't allow you to admit that was an EXCELLENT game.

You better be careful what you wish for. I don't see :West_Virginia: doing anything in hoops in the near future. Playing against a blue blood like :Kansas: at least twice a year will likely be 2 Ls for the Neers. Just sayin'

It wasn't a great game at all. It was a foul fest, just like all Dookie games are. Flops left and right with neither team knowing dick about how to box someone out. WVU would outrebound both those teams by 10 or 15 rebounds easily if the refs would let someone play instead of calling every bullshit touch foul imaginable. Duke has out rebounded on two teams so far, Presbyterian by 19 and a terrible Davidson team by 1, and only twice out rebounded someone on the offensive side of the ball (Belmont by 1 and Kansas by 2).

Compare that to WVU, who played terrible against Oral Roberts (with 9 new players and 7 freshman heavily featured in the rotation) and get killed on the boards (33/17 vs 23/6), but, even in their worst game of the season with the loss to Kent State, they have out rebounded their competition significantly since the first game of the season (Kent State 27/7 - WVU 42/18 | Alcorn St 31/12 - WVU 55/25 | Morehead St 19/2 - WVU 39/14).

Now, of course, the difference in opponents has been pretty significant, for the most part, but I can guarantee you that WVU will be competing for the top spot in the Big 12 next year, without a doubt. Not only do we have the talented freshmen that we currently have, but we have two excellent transfers coming to us from Dayton and LaSalle as well Elijah Macon all three of which will be instant starters/major rational players. We are poised for BIG things in the next 1-3 years, especially with how weak the Big 12 conference schedule will be compared to playing in the Big East.

SmoothPancakes
11-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Holy low scoring game Batman! Harvard knocks off #20 Florida State today 46-41. The halftime score? 14-14.

SmoothPancakes
11-25-2011, 08:26 PM
Who saw this Championship game for the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament? Instead of UConn vs. Florida State, what should have been the Championship game based on teams and rankings, it's Harvard (who beat #20 FSU 46-41) vs. UCF (who knocked off #4 UConn 68-63).

CLW
11-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Looks like :Kentucky: will be #1 next week after :North_Carolina: fell to :UNLV: last night in Vegas.

bdoughty
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Bernie Fine fired by Syracuse

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7288286/bernie-fine-fired-syracuse-amid-molestation-allegations

morsdraconis
11-27-2011, 10:05 PM
It's about damn time...

morsdraconis
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
So, yeah. About those Dookies. ;)

CLW
11-30-2011, 06:22 AM
So, yeah. About those Dookies. ;)

They got it handed to them last night no doubt about it as they were outplayed in every facet of the game. It was a great challenge for the team which is still searching for its identity after losing its three best players from last season and they did not answer the bell as it was over early. Time will tell but I still expect :Duke: to win 30+ games and be a 1 or 2 seed come March.

steelerfan
11-30-2011, 11:00 PM
CLW, why do you keep changing avatars every week or so? You're confusing me. :sf:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

cdj
12-01-2011, 12:23 AM
CLW, why do you keep changing avatars every week or so? You're confusing me. :sf:

I assume it's for OD teams, but I agree - it throws me for a loop as well!

UNLV defeats Santa Barbara in 2OT, Creighton rallies from 17 down at San Diego State, and Nebraska loses at home to a bad Wake Forest team. Guess which game I watched/was at? :fp:

SmoothPancakes
12-01-2011, 05:09 AM

UNLV defeats Santa Barbara in 2OT, Creighton rallies from 17 down at San Diego State, and Nebraska loses at home to a bad Wake Forest team. Guess which game I watched/was at? :fp:

Fresno State beating the Academy of Art 85-55? :P

cdj
12-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Fresno State beating the Academy of Art 85-55? :P

I wish! :D

CLW
12-01-2011, 11:10 AM

It is for OD team(s). I'll switch it to my standard :Duke: helmet.

bdoughty
12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Someone is getting excited for their conference change.

Practice Court

http://i.imgur.com/n3Bca.jpg

morsdraconis
12-03-2011, 04:41 PM
:nod:

stanfordfan1
12-04-2011, 10:45 PM
who remembers when west coast conference games were on fsn

CLW
12-07-2011, 06:27 AM
who remembers when west coast conference games were on fsn

Yeah I used to watch those games all the time. ACC Sunday Night Hoops was also great.

morsdraconis
12-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Amazing game tonight between WVU and K-State. Damn, I can't wait to play in Big 12 Basketball next year and every year we have a game against K-State like this one. It was a fuckin' BRAWL that went into double OT. Just an amazing game played between two teams that thrive on taking the ball down low and out rebounding the other team on the offensive glass. Was a hell of a game.

JBHuskers
12-09-2011, 09:00 AM
Nebraska sucks. That is all.

We almost lost to the Florida Midget Academy for the Blind on Wednesday :fp: it took a shot with :10 left to win by 1.

morsdraconis
12-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Can't believe NO ONE is talking about this shit:

CRAZY brawl between Cincinnati and Xavier (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7339184/cincinnati-bearcats-coach-embarrassed-brawl-xavier-musketeers)

CLW
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Can't believe NO ONE is talking about this shit:

CRAZY brawl between Cincinnati and Xavier (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7339184/cincinnati-bearcats-coach-embarrassed-brawl-xavier-musketeers)

Really not surprised as both clubs hate each other and aren't exactly shall we say the "cleanest" teams. Looks like 8 players have been suspended so far from the brawl and I also heard the DA was thinking of bringing charges.

SmoothPancakes
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Really not surprised as both clubs hate each other and aren't exactly shall we say the "cleanest" teams. Looks like 8 players have been suspended so far from the brawl and I also heard the DA was thinking of bringing charges.

And the suspensions are bullshit. One of the Cincy players punched two Xavier players, and appeared to stomp on another, and got a bullshit 6 game suspension. Coaches have no goddamn fucking balls anymore when it comes to handing out punishments. It's fucking bullshit. If he wasn't suspended for the rest of the season, it should have been at least half the remaining games for that bullshit.

And Cincinnati's coach sure knows how to talk the talk, but showed in the end he's yet just another giant ass pussy coach afraid to do what's right.

His comments about the fight after the game.

Cronin said he had no idea who was specifically involved in the fight during the melee or when he entered the postgame news conference. During the news conference, Cronin said in the locker room after the game he told players to take off their jerseys and physically helped a few players do so. He confirmed the story Saturday night.

"I have never been this embarrassed in my entire career," Cronin said.

"It's a complete embarrassment. Toughness is doing the right thing. You take your ass-whipping and go home. If my players don't act the right way, they will never play another game at Cincinnati."

Cronin said he and the school president will watch the tape and determine which players "remain on the team."

The final tallies of suspended players: three players suspended six games, one player one game for Cincinnati. Two players suspended four games, one for two games and one for one game for Xavier. Another all talk, pussy action bullshit by coaches. A fucking joke.

psusnoop
12-12-2011, 05:26 PM
That apparent stomping deserved much much more as did all of it, how the NCAA thinks this is acceptable punishment is beyond me :smh:

SmoothPancakes
12-12-2011, 05:38 PM
That apparent stomping deserved much much more as did all of it, how the NCAA thinks this is acceptable punishment is beyond me :smh:

Yeah, it's such a bull punishment. 6 games in college basketball, it'd be like suspending all the players, if they had done that in football, for one, maybe two games. For the players who only got suspended for one or two games, they'd be doing extra running in practice. That's pretty much all these suspensions translate to. Absolute bull.

Like I said, Cincy's coach, Cronin, did a great job talking the talk after the game, talking about sitting down over the weekend with the school president and determining not only how long the players will be gone, but determining which players will even remain on the team. Now if you're going to say that, while that doesn't necessarily mean someone has to get kicked off the team, but if you're not going to boot anyone, then they should at least get bitchslapped with suspensions, not this mere 6 game crap.

CLW
12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Cronin used to coach at my alma :Murray_State: where he was in charge of trying to clean up a program that was similar to the Cinci Xavier mold of thugs runnin' wild with no ramifications for their actions. If Cronin doesn't step in and dish out further punishment I'd be surprised and disappointed in him. He did a pretty decent job runnin' the prison system that was :Murray_State:

morsdraconis
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, Cronin is going to lay the hammer down. He was just waiting to see what the NCAA demanded that the schools do first.

JBHuskers
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
This should be a nice lesson not to act like a thug. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313522752)

CLW
12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Seems crazy that my alma probably has the best shot of running the table during the regular season. Going to be interesting to see where :Murray_State: gets seeded in March and even more interesting if they run the table during the regular season but fall in the :OVC: tourny

CLW
12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
This is sort of the end of the "pre-season" phase (as I like to think of it). After the Christmas break most teams begin conference play. From what I have seen this appears to be where we are at in the season:

(1) The Big 10 is CLEARLY the best and deepest conference in the country. In fact Kenpom has 4 Big 10 schools in the Top 10 in the country (:Wisconsin: :Ohio_State: :Indiana: :Michigan_State:)

(2) The ACC appears to be headed for a :Duke: v. :North_Carolina: showdown and then everyone else fighting for position in the conference.

(3) In the Big East - :Syracuse: and :Louisville: have come out strong but could it be because they have yet to play anyone decent. The Cuse have done their usual we will not leave the state of New York until February scheduling so it will be interesting to see how the Orange handle real road challenges once Big East play starts. Really looking forward to the New Year's Eve Showdown between :Kentucky: and :Louisville: it should provide a decent measurement as to where both clubs currently are. I think the Kitties have a higher ceiling but I don't think Calamari is a good enough Coach to get them anywhere near their talent level.

(4) Big XII looks to be a :Missouri: :Baylor: :Kansas: race. I'd put my money on :Baylor:

(5) The Pac 12 is AWFUL. I'd look for either :Cal: or :Stanford: to win the conference

(6) Kentucky should run away with the SEC but probably won't due to being an inexperienced club with an overrated coach. Does Vandy rebound or do they tank and Stallings loses his job.

JBHuskers
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Jay Leno thinks that Rick Petino's retirement announcement is a good idea.

morsdraconis
01-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Jesus I think Syracuse is the worst looking #1 team I've ever seen. Stop all their dumb ass street ball shit (lobs to guys that aren't covered by rotation and their running shit against defenses not getting back) and you have a VERY mediocre half court team that pretty much relies on the thought that their inside game is good to open up 3 point shooters when their down low game is atrocious.

Nevermind the fact that they can't rebound the ball to save their lives. :rolleyes:

DariusLock
01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Ole Miss is breaking my heart...Football, Basketball, and Baseball all struggling to get going again.

BCEagles
01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Jesus I think Syracuse is the worst looking #1 team I've ever seen. Stop all their dumb ass street ball shit (lobs to guys that aren't covered by rotation and their running shit against defenses not getting back) and you have a VERY mediocre half court team that pretty much relies on the thought that their inside game is good to open up 3 point shooters when their down low game is atrocious.

Nevermind the fact that they can't rebound the ball to save their lives. :rolleyes:
They do have alot of depth though. i dont think theyll be good in the tournament. Creighton, Alabama, and Kansas are all gonna be strong in the tourney this year.

BCEagles
01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
watch alabama i think they got a shot against kentucky

DariusLock
01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
#13 Florida @ Ole Miss coming up, Ole Miss undefeated at home and coming off wins vs. #15 MSU and @ Georgia. It's gonna be on ESPN in 1 min...don't laugh at our basketball arena, we will probably pwn most of the nation in a few years :nod:. You should see the plans for the new arena....:drool:

CLW
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Seen just about everyone play now and all of the so called "experts" claiming that "great teams" would return due to many Frosh staying for their Soph seasons in 11-12 are clearly wrong. I must admit I also thought this would be the case but didn't fully appreciate the difference between teams of sophomores that we have now and the Senior and Junior dominated teams in the 90s.

March Madness is going to be a wild ride once again with whoever gets a combination of hot and lucky is going to win it all.

morsdraconis
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Gah. Damn it's frustrating watching a young team struggle to find their way with team guys that just don't excellent at taking the game fully on their backs.

cdj
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Illinois loses at home to Northwestern. For the year, they've beat Ohio State and Michigan, lost to NW and Penn State. Just when it looks like Weber may escape the hot seat, he gets right back on. Illini now 16-7 (5-5).

JeffHCross
02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Pretty bad on the part of ESPN.com ... they don't even mention the Duke-Miami outcome on the front page. It looks like it hasn't been updated since last night.

The state of Florida is now 2-0 this year against the Dukies, with both games being played at Cameron Indoor. Very unexpected.

they've beat Ohio StateAmazing how badly our defense just surrendered in that game.

CLW
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Pretty bad on the part of ESPN.com ... they don't even mention the Duke-Miami outcome on the front page. It looks like it hasn't been updated since last night.

The state of Florida is now 2-0 this year against the Dukies, with both games being played at Cameron Indoor. Very unexpected.

Amazing how badly our defense just surrendered in that game.

Chalk that up to the L falling on Super Bowl Sunday. However, I wouldn't go so far as to call the Ls "very unexpected". This year's Duke team gives the least amount of heart/effort/energy of any Duke team I have EVER seen (which goes back to the late 80s). They have mailed in their performances during several games now and K is clearly having FITS with the team. I can never remember him calling out his own team in the media the way he has done multiple times this year.

This Duke teams has all the makings of a Feb-March collapse (similar to 07 squad but that squad just didn't have the talent). The 11-12 Duke team has talent but doesn't have the heart/leadership to be great.

CLW
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
:Duke: @ :North_Carolina: tonight and I have NEVER been more "confident" in a BIG Duke L than I am before tonight (which probably means Duke wins 82-50).

CLW
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
:Duke: @ :North_Carolina: tonight and I have NEVER been more "confident" in a BIG Duke L than I am before tonight (which probably means Duke wins 82-50).

LOL or the most epic finish in a Duke Carolina contest I can ever remember. :nod:

CLW
02-08-2012, 11:08 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2362&d=1328762735&thumb=1

gschwendt
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2362&d=1328762735&thumb=1Doesn't work since it's on a private message board.

CLW
02-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Doesn't work since it's on a private message board.

Damn Zeller just became the most "interesting player for Duke". :nod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

skipwondah33
02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Read an article yesterday that Austin Rivers said he would have an impact on this game

...well I'll say he was correct on that statement.

On another just looking at those replays and seeing the crowd/reaction, etc. That has to be one of the most exciting,insane..whatever you want to call it moments in life. Gives me goose bumps thinking about being a part of a game like that (on the court).

I've played in games back in HS when the gym was packed to capacity and it felt great.. but man nothing of course compared to that.

And last thing. I find the short, stubby guy in the suit at the end of Duke's bench reaction to be hilarious afterward :D

CLW
02-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Read an article yesterday that Austin Rivers said he would have an impact on this game

...well I'll say he was correct on that statement.

On another just looking at those replays and seeing the crowd/reaction, etc. That has to be one of the most exciting,insane..whatever you want to call it moments in life. Gives me goose bumps thinking about being a part of a game like that (on the court).

I've played in games back in HS when the gym was packed to capacity and it felt great.. but man nothing of course compared to that.

And last thing. I find the short, stubby guy in the suit at the end of Duke's bench reaction to be hilarious afterward :D

I dunno man I've seen several screen shots from the footage and some of the reactions/faces from the UNC crowd is better. But I'm biased.

skipwondah33
02-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah there were some hilarious ones too from them but his stood out to me. It was the little hop-fist pump that did it :D. Looked like he wanted to let out so much emotion towards the NC crowd.

DariusLock
02-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Didn't register that that was Doc River's son until I watched this replay...

SmoothPancakes
02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
ESPN NCAAB - NCAA denies UConn's APR waiver request to participate in 2013 NCAA Tournament; school will appeal

I'll be damned. The NCAA actually grew some balls and said no to one of their major teams.

morsdraconis
02-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Good. FUCK those cheating bastards.

steelerfan
02-11-2012, 03:29 AM

Damn. I thought this post was about the Patriots losing the Super Bowl. ;)

CLW
02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
I'll be damned. The NCAA actually grew some balls and said no to one of their major teams.

The NCAA probably realizes it has lost most (if not all credibility) after the grade change fiasco for :Kentucky: basketball recruit and the Cam Newton (my daddy did it i didn't know defense) at :Auburn:

The funny thing is there may not need to be a ban the way :Connecticut: is playing ball lately.

JeffHCross
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM
lost most (if not all credibility) after To lose something, you must have it to begin with.

NatureBoy
02-17-2012, 07:44 AM
http://c0014184.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_afa364b

:D Huge crowd for Tuesday night's South Carolina Georgia game. The reported attendance was 7589 for the game.

morsdraconis
02-17-2012, 10:43 AM
Well, that shot was obviously before the game started (players are just now running out onto the court to warm up).

NatureBoy
02-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Well, that shot was obviously before the game started (players are just now running out onto the court to warm up). That shot was taken two and a half minutes before the game started.

morsdraconis
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
That shot was taken two and a half minutes before the game started.

Welcome to two football schools playing basketball then. :up:

CLW
02-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Meh its the SEC where basketball is used to stay in shape for Spring Football which starts shortly.

CLW
02-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Watched quite a bit of the bracket busters today. IMHO the top 5 "Mid Majors" are:

#1 :Wichita_State:
#2 :New_Mexico:
#3 :Creighton:
#4 :Temple:
#5 :Saint_Louis:

morsdraconis
02-19-2012, 10:46 AM
You're crazy if you think Murray State isn't the #1 midmajor team. The only thing they have trouble with is size, but when they shoot the ball well, they can play with anyone in the country.

CLW
02-19-2012, 11:11 AM
You're crazy if you think Murray State isn't the #1 midmajor team. The only thing they have trouble with is size, but when they shoot the ball well, they can play with anyone in the country.

Turnovers will be their undoing. They turn the ball over roughly 20% of their possessions. They are only rated 41st in the RPI and prob mid 50s and all of the other respected objective polls (Kenpom etc...). They have only played 3 games all year against the RPI Top 50 (3-0) and 18 of their wins come against the bottom 1/2 of division 1. Hell 3 of their Ws came against non-D1 competition.

Their resume and performance is no where near the level of any of the 5 teams I listed above.

bdoughty
02-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Great game on tonight, on the Women's side (oh I know blasphemous). Undefeated Baylor is having a time of it against Texas A&M midway through the second half.

morsdraconis
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Great game on tonight, on the Women's side (oh I know blasphemous). Undefeated Baylor is having a time of it against Texas A&M midway through the second half.

Yeah, looks like they're gonna pull it out, but it's close.

bdoughty
02-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Baylor will be tough to beat. Pretty good doubleheader tonight with ND @ UConn on now.

cdj
02-28-2012, 09:06 PM
UCLA in some hot water (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/28/report-sports-illustrated-expected-to-release-highly-negative-article-on-ucla-basketball-program/)

Sports Illustrated is expected to release an ‘extremely negative’ article on Wednesday about the UCLA Bruins men’s basketball team under coach Ben Howland.

The article is reportedly written by Pulitzer Prize winner George Dohrmann, and is rumored to include an allegation of abuse, in addition to rampant drug use by players under Howland.

CLW
02-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Over/Under on the number of times the MORONS at the self-proclaimed "world wide leader in sports" claims that the Saturday matchup of :North_Carolina: @ :Duke: is for a "title". A simple review of the ACC's rules makes clear

Unlike most college basketball tournaments, the ACC Tournament acts as the only championship for the ACC, rather than an addition to the regular season title. The ACC elected to eliminate the regular season title following the 1961 season and declare the tournament champion the sole champion of the conference from then on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACC_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

You may disagree/agree with the ACC's policy but it has only one champion. The Duke Carolina tilt on Saturday will be great no doubt but it will not be for any ACC "title". If one wanted to add "hype" to a game that needs no additional "hype" they should say it is for the #1 seed in the ACC tourny and potentially has seeding ramifcations in the NCAA tourny.

Sorry this particular "issue" drives me nuts that the media cannot even get elementary level rules correct when reporting.

CLW
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM
the officiating in college basketball is just AWFUL. after watching :Kentucky: v. :Florida: and :North_Carolina: v. :NC_State: I wanted to just puke b/c the refs were consistently awful throughout both games.

morsdraconis
03-10-2012, 05:52 PM
the officiating in college basketball is just AWFUL. after watching :Kentucky: v. :Florida: and :North_Carolina: v. :NC_State: I wanted to just puke b/c the refs were consistently awful throughout both games.

Welcome to a league where officials will officiate 40+ games in 60 days or so. It's ridiculous how much these guys work. Tired equals more calls going wrong because they're too damn old to be in shape to be able to run up and down the court with these teams.

CLW
03-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Welcome to a league where officials will officiate 40+ games in 60 days or so. It's ridiculous how much these guys work. Tired equals more calls going wrong because they're too damn old to be in shape to be able to run up and down the court with these teams.

That was the reasoning I heard as well. Oddly, you won't hear that excuse from my wife (and other MDs) when she is cutting open someone who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Can you seriously imagine a doctor coming to you saying, "Sorry we didn't cut all of the cancer out. I was just too tired from my previous surgeries this week."

morsdraconis
03-11-2012, 10:00 AM
That was the reasoning I heard as well. Oddly, you won't hear that excuse from my wife (and other MDs) when she is cutting open someone who has been diagnosed with cancer.

Can you seriously imagine a doctor coming to you saying, "Sorry we didn't cut all of the cancer out. I was just too tired from my previous surgeries this week."

Oh, I completely agree. It's a silly excuse, but, these guys that are officiating these games are also 50+ years old and most of them are very much out of shape. More than anything, though, I think it's the amount of traveling that these guys do that takes a toll on them. They must get jet lag like a motherfucker sometimes.

NatureBoy
03-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Darrin Horn Fired as Head Coach of South Carolina Basketball.

Darrin Horn has been fired.

As we noted (here and here) the drum beat was getting louder for the removal of Coach Horn due to lackluster performances the last two season, poor execution as a coach, bad attendance at home games and ineffective recruiting.

Athletic director Eric Hyman had his standard end-of season meeting with Horn on Tuesday and shortly following the meeting, word came down that Horn would be relieved of his duties. A press conference was held and final word was given that Horn has been removed.

Horn was 60-63 in four seasons at USC. The Gamecocks’ 21 losses this season tied a school record. South Carolina also posted a school-worst 2-14 record in the SEC. Also basketball ticket sales fell $400,000 between 2008 and 2011, according to USC data. And to add to the reasons, have not had a stellar postseason record under his tenure.

Horn is owed $800,000 for each year remaining on his contract, which runs through March 31, 2015. He is owed a $2.4 million buyout based on time remaining. He’s also owed an additional $100,000 in a tax-deferred compensation plan.

The search for a new coach will begin immediately. The next coach does have young talent to work with and good a boost Monday with news that Bruce Ellington, its best all-around player and top returning scorer, decided he would play only basketball next season.

I hate to see someone lose their job but he needed to go.

JeffHCross
03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Yet another Hitler video, but ... still funny. For obvious reasons, 1:25 is my favorite subtitle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ilWtsZr2g

jaymo76
03-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Have to say that I haven't enjoyed the NCAA tourney as much this year as I normally do. Yes there have been some good games and upsets, etc. but for whatever reason I just don't see any compelling storylines left.

SmoothPancakes
03-25-2012, 02:21 AM
Have to say that I haven't enjoyed the NCAA tourney as much this year as I normally do. Yes there have been some good games and upsets, etc. but for whatever reason I just don't see any compelling storylines left.

Agreed.

morsdraconis
03-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I still haven't watched one full game of the tournament this year. :dunno:

SmoothPancakes
03-25-2012, 07:39 AM
I sat there during the round of 64 and round of 32 flipping between all four channels that were airing games and watching as much of each game as I could. Sweet Sixteen, I watched parts of Ohio-North Carolina, Ohio State-Cincinnati, and the end of Indiana-Kentucky.

Elite Eight, I didn't watch a single second of the games yesterday (though that was due to me being asleep thanks to getting up at 2am to drive to work to do my morning show, and then sitting at work until 4pm thanks to running board for state finals basketball), and then today I probably won't bother watching the games as Kansas-North Carolina and Baylor-Kentucky don't interest me in the least.

It'll probably be the same with the Final Four. Ohio State-Kansas/North Carolina don't really interest me, and only Baylor-Louisville would slightly draw my interest. Kentucky-Louisville, forget it, I'll be watching something else. The only hope for me to watch the championship game would be Louisville-Ohio State. Anything else, I couldn't care less about.

CLW
03-28-2012, 07:37 PM
20 years ago today Duke made my ENTIRE family CRY while I was doing :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY-iq58_oz4

jaymo76
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I heard on the radio today that "most" sports people are more interested in NFL free agency and the upcoming draft then they are watching the Final Four. Count me in that pool as well.

JBHuskers
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
If this doesn't get you fired up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07fhOVQ9wEA&feature=player_embedded

JBHuskers
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/angrykentuckybird.jpg

SmoothPancakes
04-02-2012, 10:52 PM
So how long before Kentucky's national title gets stripped due to violations by Calipari?

morsdraconis
04-03-2012, 05:10 AM
So how long before Kentucky's national title gets stripped due to violations by Calipari?

I said the same thing.

I'm guessing 2 years. Funny that Kentucky beat a Kansas team that was supposedly on a down year because they lost the Morris twins to the NBA last year.

CLW
04-09-2012, 02:56 PM

I said the same thing.

I'm guessing 2 years. Funny that Kentucky beat a Kansas team that was supposedly on a down year because they lost the Morris twins to the NBA last year.

10 year statute of limitations.

I thought it was HILARIOUS that Nike has a shirt with 8* on the front.

You will know the end is near when Calipari leaves for another job or "retires". I just hope/pray this time the NCAA issues a show cause rule and slaps it against his resume effectively ending his college career.

There were rumors last summer (even ESPN reported them) that Davis' father asked for $200K right before he signed with :Kentucky: obviously setting up a Cam Newton defense.