PDA

View Full Version : Spread offense?

gigemaggs99
10-09-2011, 09:38 PM
So the other night I sat down and watched Oregon on Thursday night's ESPN game. I was really impressed by their spread running attack. I know they've been doing it for a few years now, we just normally don't get many of their games here in Texas or if we do they are on super late at night since we are in central time zone.

I'm wanting to learn it and mess around with it. My question is. Is their offense only effective if you have super fast backs? Does the offense have to be centered around top level speed players?

I like using lower level teams and I'm not having much success running some of the outside runs that I would assume requires the HB to be fast like James is for Oregon.

If I don't have a speed back am I shooting myself in the foot trying to run this type of offense without the talent?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

morsdraconis
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Well, yes you are shooting yourself in the foot without having a talented back. You need someone that, at least, has 90+ speed, acceleration, agility, and elusiveness. Those things allow him to make the quick cuts needed to hit the holes for this type of offense and to get the corner quick enough to really take advantage of the space created by the offense.

Truthfully, you'll be lucky to get the offense to truly be effective most of the time anyway because of the terrible way the offense is executed by the offensive line and WRs in this game. It sucks, but it's VERY hard to be effective with a truly good team, and it's nearly impossible to be effective with a bad team unlike real life. In real life, with proper technique and coaching, a team with even semi-talented players can run an effective and productive spread offense. It's the reason why the offense is so damn popular. You don't have to have elite offensive linemen and elite WRs that are all 6'5" Megatron clones to be able to have a productive offense. You just need guys that understand a principles behind the offense and a QB that has at least some type of escapability in the pocket to give you an extra dimension.

WolverineJay
10-10-2011, 02:09 AM
I ran a spread option Dynasty with North Texas and did pretty well my first year 9-3 in the SunBelt and then undefeated in my second before moving on to another Dynasty with even more heavily favored Heisman CPU sliders. I used my Machine Gun offense which consists of mostly offset Shotgun sets, and a few 2 back split sets. I ran around 2/3 of the time with a fairly quick up tempo style, and I always had a couple guys get 100 yds rushing each game so it can be done with lesser talented teams.

oweb26
10-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Honestly if you still have NCAA 10 or 11 with a few slider tweaks you can get really close to running a spread option offense. Like it was said already on this game its like they took a step back on the Oline play (which wasnt that great from jump, but it was better), i wouldn't even trouble myself with trying it on the years game.

PDuncanOSU
10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Currently OC at 1* Idaho in second year of dynasty using all american sliders similar to steelerfans. I haven't been successful when I try to be as run-heavy as Oregon because the run blocking just doesn't seem to be good enough. Using a more balanced spread playbook though, I'm undefeated through 6 games averaging just over 30 points per game (played Memphis, Rice, Washington State, Iowa State, user controlled San Diego State, and New Mexico State).
My stats in the game last night vs. New Mexico State:
scored TD w/ 5 seconds left in 3rd to go up 35-7, pulled starters, coasted through the 4th, and finished game with the same score
18-23 passing for 225 yards
38 rushes for 124 yards (35/151 not counting 3 sacks)
The key is not to force the run/option if they have you outnumbered at the line of scrimmage and to not be afraid to throw the ball deep when they bring the safeties up.

gigemaggs99
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Ok, thank you for all the replies and info. I'm wanting to use Wyoming and see if I can get it to work with them. They are already a "spread style" team so hopefully they will have some talent that will allow me to have some success.

Thank you gents!

Escobar
10-16-2011, 07:39 PM
If you can get a good back with speed and agility for your main rb, then one with good acceleration and trucking to use in the spread flex set or dive plays you can be deadly because they can't prepare for the outside run without opening up the middle.

gigemaggs99
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
If you can get a good back with speed and agility for your main rb, then one with good acceleration and trucking to use in the spread flex set or dive plays you can be deadly because they can't prepare for the outside run without opening up the middle.

Thank you good tips. I did this in my Wyoming offline dynasty. I went int and did the formation subs and move the HBs and WRs around, then in my first game of the season my best/main Running back broke his leg, now he's out for the season. :bang:

Now I know how some of these real coaches feel when they lose their top players and their scheme kinda gets turned on it's side. :fp:

illwill10
10-16-2011, 09:39 PM
I agree with what was said in here. You just need guys who fit your scheme. I started my Dynasty with Memphis. The 1st year was tough because their players were fit for spread. In recruiting, I snagged up a super fast 3 star WR and and a power back. I was able to run my offense. In Nevada, now I am able to get players who fit my offense. I run a pistol offense(but alot of other pro-style sets). I dont really go after the top players. I just go for players who fit my offense. You will not find a power back with B or higher Truck unless he is a 5 star player. But Break Tackle basically helps balance it out. I have a 6'1 230 RB who is a power back. His truck is 75, but his BRK is 85. So he breaks alot of tackles. I use a speed back as the spell back.

Any offense it is good to have a stable of backs, at least one very fast player, a game managing QB or better, a receiving TE, and a average OL or better. In my dynasty with Nevada, I currently dont have a speed WR. I am not able to turn a 5 yard pass to a 25+ pass. In week 14+, I dont think I even scouted a speed WR, beside a 5 star guy I had no chance with. I will try to recruit one immediately.

illwill10
10-16-2011, 09:49 PM
Thank you good tips. I did this in my Wyoming offline dynasty. I went int and did the formation subs and move the HBs and WRs around, then in my first game of the season my best/main Running back broke his leg, now he's out for the season. :bang:

Now I know how some of these real coaches feel when they lose their top players and their scheme kinda gets turned on it's side. :fp:
My starting QB is out until conference championship because he broke his tailbone. I guess I shouldnt have went out of bounds on the scramble wit him. Really hurted my offense.