PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Peeps

hawkeyeguy
09-26-2011, 10:17 AM
I realize switching to Heisman after years of just tweaking All American sliders was going to be difficult but HELP. My pass defense is horrible, heck even my run defense is starting to suffer. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

gigemaggs99
09-27-2011, 10:28 AM
If you were on AA and made the sliders harder, why not try heisman and make the sliders easier? Then find a balance between too easy and just right on heisman?

hawkeyeguy
09-27-2011, 11:11 AM
Probably not a bad idea. I never really mess with the sliders I guess, maybe this is the year to start

gigemaggs99
09-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Probably not a bad idea. I never really mess with the sliders I guess, maybe this is the year to start

Sorry, I didn't mean to give a short answer I was just thinking since you said, "Defensive Peeps
I realize switching to Heisman after years of just tweaking All American sliders was going to be difficult but HELP"

I figured this meant you messed with the sliders.

hawkeyeguy
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
No trouble at all, yeah I've never really messed with sliders just played AA for years and tried to set up a difficult OOC schedule (which has kept it challenging)

BCEagles
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
it might not work for you, but when i made that switch from AA to Heisman i changed my D from a 4-3 to a 3-3-5 and drafted players to fit that system. The 3-3-5 is good because its effective against the run and the pass.

hawkeyeguy
09-29-2011, 09:23 AM
it might not work for you, but when i made that switch from AA to Heisman i changed my D from a 4-3 to a 3-3-5 and drafted players to fit that system. The 3-3-5 is good because its effective against the run and the pass.

That's not a bad idea. I've been recruiting alot of linebackers, free safeties and corners lately, it might be possible to make that change (if Iowa allows my contract to be re-signed, lmao)

BCEagles
09-29-2011, 10:36 AM
That's not a bad idea. (if Iowa allows my contract to be re-signed, lmao)
lol, Thats what happened to me i got fired by BC then I put that defense in in Idaho and after 3 seasons i got them to the rose bowl.

hawkeyeguy
09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
What kind of players did you look for to switch up your defenses?

keyser soze
09-30-2011, 12:57 PM
After messing with all the defenses on heisman default sliders I have found the 4-2-5 and the nickel to be the most effective against the CPU. Need 2 solid SS to play the 4-2-5 but other than that everything is just easier. 4-2-5 gives you essentially 8 men in the box which is outstanding for run defense as well as getting pressure on the CPU QB with default sliders. In order to get sacks and pressure you will have to blitz. If you can recruit some decent corners that can play man D you are all set. Simply blitz combinations of both the LBs as well as 1 LB and 1 SS to out number the blockers to a given side.

After using all the base defenses, 3-3-5, 4-3, 3-4 and 4-2-5 I have found that nothing compares overall to the 4-2-5 at least against the CPU. I typically take home all the hardware at the end of the year for the individual trophies as well out of this D.

The ONLY downside I have had is that I have had a TOOON of players go pro early for whatever reason out of this D. My guess is that because of all the pressure I put on the QB, sack and INTs that I get, the stats drive them out.

keyser soze
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
I guess if I was going to break down what I look for most in each position for recruiting it would go something like this:
2 DTs = strong as possible followed by ability to get off block
2 LBs = shed block and read play
2 DEs = shed block then acceleration
2 CBs = man defense rating then height then speed
2 SSs = Mix LB + CB together so I need speed, shed block, coverage, height (most demanding position) I will move FS(s) to SS as well as I seem to recruit them easier
FS = Tackle, then Speed then Height (This dude flat out has to be able to tackle because he will be manned up with the HB a LOT and have to make the tackle

Hope that helps.

hawkeyeguy
09-30-2011, 02:48 PM
That's great stuff, thank you! I'm 8-3 right now so I'm hoping I can get a new contract and than start in on this new defense, looks kinda challenging and I'm hoping I don't go to all the effort to get it done and than get fired two years in.

keyser soze
10-06-2011, 08:05 AM
That's great stuff, thank you! I'm 8-3 right now so I'm hoping I can get a new contract and than start in on this new defense, looks kinda challenging and I'm hoping I don't go to all the effort to get it done and than get fired two years in.
LOL, yeah, that would stink to finally get the perfect personnel only to get canned! If I ever get to the point where EA fixes my game and I can get into an OD again, my buddy and I want to do a "death penalty" dynasty where we basically cut everyone and start over. This obviously got me to thinking what positions are the MOST important to recruit and get any depth at first. With regards to defense it is imperative that I not have any walk-ons playing in the secondary or I have no chance. I have to get enough depth in the secondary, regardless of how short I am on offense, or I just don't see me even being in games on heisman level. After that I think its LBs and then last D-LINE. The only thing that would change my mind on this would be if I do play with a walk-on D-Line and they get pancaked all the time. If that is the case then forget everything I just said, I would need D-Linemen first. On plays where 2 D-Linemen get pancaked you are typically DEAD on heisman.

illwill10
10-24-2011, 12:27 AM
I run a Man-Heavy Scheme. No matter the base defense. I am currently running a 4-3. In 3 games into my Mich State(7th season,1st with MSU), I have the 11th best rush defense, but in the 100s in pass defense. I dont have problem against Pro-style schools, but I get torched against spread offenses. As long as I can shut down their main threat, I can shut down their offense. I have good CBs. I might run some more Zones or add some 4-2-5 sets. I dont like running zones because if my defense get beat, I want it to because my CBs got beat not because my defenders didnt cover their zone. But If I do run zone defense, I never call Outside CB blitzes or outside CBs covering the flats. I always get beat when I have my CBs covering the flats.
I like to run a Philly like Defense, just more man. Rely on DL for presure when in 4-3, very few blitzes. Fast Atlethic LBs with the ability to cover TEs, and some blitzes. CBs able to cover on a island. I like to run 1-5-5 alot abd blitz heavily.
Recruiting:
DE-Pass Rusher with C speed or better and good Finesse move
DT- Rush Stuffer with good strength and BSH. Might get a Pass Rusher for 3rd down
OLB- Good Speed, Good Coverage skills, BSH, Good ACC, Good HP and Tackler
MLB- Good Tackle, PRC, BSH, C Speed or better, Good ACC
CB- Good Man Coverage, Good Speed/ACC/AGI, Good PRC/Pursuit
Safety- Similar to OLB

baseballplyrmvp
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM
alright, i'm in need of some serious help here.

in my offline :USC: dynasty, my top 3 corners are rated 98, 96, and 93 overall and respectively, have man coverage ratings of 99, 98, and 93 respectively, have play recognition ratings of 99, 94, 87 respectively, and have press ratings of 94, 95, and 88 respectively. i'm playing michigan right now and every defensive play this game, i've basically played straight up bump n run coverage. no fancy shit, just rush 4 and drop 7. as you can tell, i've recruited smart, fast, and physical corners for my basic defensive scheme.

yet i'm being absolutely shredded by the cpu michigan controlled team, who's top 3 receivers are 81 ovr, 79 ovr, and 73 ovr respectively, and have release ratings of 71, 65, and 82 respectively. this is on heisman, affected sliders are cpu qb accuracy- 40, cpu wr catching- 65, user pass coverage- 50. i'd like to not crank up my pass coverage slider, but is this the only way to make it so my 3 corners, who are all rated within the top 15 best corners in the game right now, play better?