PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story 3 The Game

Rudy
06-27-2010, 04:40 AM
This game is a lot of fun. We played quite a bit this morning and I'll disagree with the gametrailers review that called the missions mindless. Granted we've only played the first two stories (train ride, Andy's room and a tiny bit of the Buzz Lightyear game) and I thought they were pretty well put together and also tied well into the movie.

As for the Toy Box, this is a great area. It's a separate mode in the game that sort of resembles a Western version of GTA with Toy Story characters but the ability to customize and buy things makes it a blast. It just gets better and better the more you unlock and buy things. It's a huge area which actually makes it hard to find a few spots. More than once I've found myself searching for the path to the other side of town. I wish they proved a map display but it's not that bad having to explore the huge area. There are tons of things to do and there are bigger missions as you buy the haunted house, Zurg's castle, racing tracks and things like that. Customizing the town (buying new buildings, painting and decoration existing buildings and townpeople, throwing bad guys in the newly purchased jail, racing, etc. are all great small things to do in addition to the larger missions.

The characters are pretty cool. Buzz, Woody and Jessie are the main characters and you can ride Bullseye as well. Each has a slightly unique ability but not too far apart so you can use whoever you like. In the story boards you will have to switch between characters to complete some things (much like the Lego games). The voice actor for Woody is not a great match but not horrible. Buzz sounds pretty good and the rest of the guys appear to have their normal voices other than Stinky Pete who doesn't sound like Kelsey Grammar at all.

The characters have a surprising amount of moves from shoulder charges, ground stomps, jumps and double jumps along with the ability to grab, throw, shoot and climb things. But don't be intimidated by it. It has a very generous help menu along with a transparent helper that can demonstrate the exact moves you need to do to complete something. It's very simple and effective so nobody gets frustrated.

Co-op with my kid is a lot of fun. I've had my 3 year old daughter play with my son and it's not a problem because it's a true split screen. No longer are there arguments over where to go like in the original lego series (not Lego Indy 2) since you can go anywhere you want without being tied down by your partner. Definitely a thumbs up for kids and dads alike. There is no difficulty setting but that's fine for the youngsters and I don't mind breezing through it. The farther you go in the Toybox the more difficult it gets but it's addicting.

morsdraconis
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
It's always great when a kids game breaks that barrier of being great to play for kids as well as at least enjoyable for adults to play as well. I'm always wary about games based on movies (as one should be) but sounds like, just like the movie, the game should be pretty good for kids to help introduce them into elements of great games without playing those great games at too young of an age.