PDA

View Full Version : shadez

HuskerBlitz
06-23-2010, 12:10 AM
I want to start a prayer chain here for shadez, a pretty well known online dynasty player from Utopia.

Apparently he was in a very serious accident tonight and needs all the help we can provide him via prayers.

Even if you don't know him, please keep him in your thoughts. He's a really good guy by everything I have known from him.

steelerfan
06-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Wow, that's terrible news. :(

I wish him and his family all the best.

HuskerBlitz
06-23-2010, 12:49 AM
Sorry, the accident wasn't tonight but rather this weekend. This is a post that gives a little more detail.

I'm not even sure where to begin with this but I just got a phone call from Shadez best friend. He was calling to let me know that Shadez was in a very serious accident on Saturday night. He is currently in the hospital. He is alive thankfully but the injuries are serious in the long term. Shadez wanted him to call and let us know what happened. I'm not sure if I should broadcast it over a message board or how that works. I have his friends phone number if any of you want to give him a call. He is a real nice guy. I guess just pm me if you want details. We need to keep him and his family in our prayers for sure because he is in a tough spot.

cdj
06-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the heads-up, HB.

I only talked to shadez in passing, but he seemed like a real nice guy. I'll be wishing for a speedy and full recovery for him.

Iron Dragon
06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Here's another update on shadez:

Well, I have just left the hospital, so I will update you guys as best as I can on Harry's condition.

I spoke with his brother, who said that the accident occurred on Saturday night. It was an incident involving diving into a pool. He didn't go into a ton of details regarding the accident itself. As he stands now, they have taken out the breathing tube and he drank a little apple juice today. He does have some minimal feeling in his right arm, but his left arm is beginning to draw upwards. The initial diagnosis is paraplegia, and he isn't expected to walk again. (Brother's own words)

The family greatly appreciates our thoughts and prayers. He said that after coming out of the surgery the first thing he asked about was how the Gamecocks did in Omaha. So, I hope that you will be joining me in rooting for the Gamecocks, as his brother let me know how much their success makes him happy.

I'm going to try and stop by again this weekend to see how he is doing.

-YTC

cdj
06-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the update, ID.

steelerfan
06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
That is just horrible. Heartbreaking, really. It's good he is alive but he has a very long road ahead.

My best, again, to him and his family.

Rudy
06-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow, that's terrible. Paralysis is awful. My uncle was hit by a drunk driver back in 1974. He spent 6 weeks in a coma and even though he survived, he never had full physical use again (along with some brain damage). It just sucks that a young healthy individual has a terrible accident and how much it will affect his life going forward. It's good he's alive. Most paralysis victims actually possess tremendous resolve. Hopefully he can make a strong recovery (the Bills' Everett showed miraculous recovery later on). I'll say a prayer tonight.

HuskerBlitz
06-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Some more info on Harry's condition. His injury was to his C4 and C5 vertebrae. The C5 was shattered in the accident, which damaged several sensitive nerves that effect fine motor skills. He has moved his right arm and felt tingling in his toe when his dad moved it for him. There is also some concern with his hearing, to what extent I don't know. He also has had to deal with a high fever the last few days. Doctors have said the paralysis is permanent, although miracles can and have happened in the past.

If you're so inclined, please continue to pray for Harry. While I only know him from our online dynasty and the internet, I've never have had a bad vibe by him and I am convinced he is certainly worthy of our prayers for a full recovery.

Deuce
06-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't know Harry but I will keep he and his family in my thoughts. It sounds like he will have plenty of support which will make all the difference in the world.

Iron Dragon
06-27-2010, 10:33 PM
hey guy its me. just wanted to stop in with a quick update. still cant move my fingers or feel my toes,but i am still getting strong tingling sensation thoughout my whole body. ended up braking c4 and c5 vert. my goal is to still work as hard as i can to get a few games in with you guy in this OD for NCAA11.....love u all no homo

Shadez posted this a few minutes ago in our OD thread.

steelerfan
06-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the updates, guys.

steelerfan
06-29-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm very happy that South Carolina took the CWS. I hope it lifts Harry's spirit! Congrats! :)

HuskerBlitz
06-29-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm sure he's grinning from ear to ear! Really happy for him.

steelerfan
03-09-2011, 04:33 AM
I got MLB 11 The Show yesterday and I noticed that shadez (aka shadez40) was named player of the day (or some such accolade) when you log into SportsConnect (props to the SCEA team for that). I also noticed the addition of ADVA (Association for Disabled Virtual Athletes) settings in the game. That's a fantastic add by SCEA (not sure how, or if, shadez is affiliated with ADVA).

For anyone who may know, how is Harry?

steelerfan
03-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Here's an article about the ADVA.

http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/6054027/video-game-allows-disabled-athletes-play-majors?readmore=fullstory

cdj
03-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I hope he is doing well. Nice catch, steelerfan.