PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION!!!!! Defensive Guru Guys!!! >>>>>

Pig Bomb
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
how would deal with an offense that runs these plays..they also love to hit the highly rated TE

i run a 335 playbook BTW

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/9770/defensequestion.png

morsdraconis
08-29-2011, 11:25 AM
You can't if they make good reads. That's what they plays are for.

Only thing you can do is change up coverages and keep them guessing. Even then, it's gonna be tough if they make good reads.

Pig Bomb
08-29-2011, 12:06 PM
You can't if they make good reads. That's what they plays are for.

Only thing you can do is change up coverages and keep them guessing. Even then, it's gonna be tough if they make good reads.

that being said... the guys who play good defense in this game must have a plan and some knowledge about what works best, or would at least give them the best chance to contain or make some plays against an offense like this

morsdraconis
08-29-2011, 12:31 PM
that being said... the guys who play good defense in this game must have a plan and some knowledge about what works best, or would at least give them the best chance to contain or make some plays against an offense like this

As I said man, the only thing you can do is change up coverages and send blitzes at him. Zone blitzes, man press blitzes, Cover 2, Cover 3, Cover 2 Man Under, etc. There's no sure fire way to stop an offense that can take advantage of mismatches from bunch formations like that.

Just, when you go to play zone (whether it be with a blitz or just normal zone) but sure to use the Show Blitz setup so that it's harder for him to see where you're coming from.

Truthfully, the best way to stop him, (besides outscoring him, of course) is to find a few blitz plays that you like against that formation (since, it's obvious, he abuses the hell out of that formation) and go into practice mode against his team with your team and try to find something that works against it to get decent pressure against him without sacrificing coverage too much. Getting pressure on him and forcing him to change his play calling by doing so is really the only way you're going to be able to stop him. Playing center fielder with a safety to stop the Verts play is really all you have to do with your controlled player (unless you're playing Coach Mode, in which case, you're pretty much just looking to get as much pressure on the CPU controlled QB as possible as quickly as possible).

PDuncanOSU
08-29-2011, 02:09 PM
First I would check the ratings for my DBs and call defenses that play to their strengths. If your DBs have good press ratings, I would try to press his receivers man-to-man and send 5 or 6 on the blitz. The press should throw off his timing with the receivers and allow the pressure to get to his QB. If his receivers beat the press you could be in trouble, but it could frustrate him and throw him off his rhythm.
If your DBs are stronger in zone, make sure to mix up your zones (Cover 2, 3, 4, 6 etc) and bring some zone blitzes. Also as mors suggested, use the "show blitz" alignment to disquise the coverage and where the blitz is coming from.

JeffHCross
08-29-2011, 08:08 PM
I personally prefer a bend-don't-break defense, and that's perfect for opposing an offense like this. Stop the Four Verticals as best you can, and force him to run the short plays all the way down the field. Show Blitz is an effective change-up that might catch him off guard. If he really only runs those 5 plays, I would encourage going into practice mode, running those 5 plays against a variety of defenses, and see if there's a defense that might surprise him. Zone Blitzes are the first to come to mind for me, they might allow your defenders to get inside the receivers on the short routes.

Kwizzy
08-30-2011, 09:25 AM
My goal on defense is always the same (and essentially what Jeff said), prevent the big play maker them drive the length. The goal for every set of downs in that drive should be to get them off schedule, if you can get them into 3rd & 8 or more you've done your job. As people have said, I would try mixing up your coverages. Although from the looks of those plays they mostly seem to be based on getting the ball out quickly.

One thing I would try would be to hot route your DEs and/or DTs into drop zones especially to the TE side that is giving you trouble. You can do this with the blitzes in the game as others have suggested but I'm not sure that's the way I'd go. I would do this while maintaining a base coverage look (only rush 3-4 players). The goal being to saturate the short zones and take away some of those quick hitters especially on 1st & 2nd down. As others have said, the show blitz alignment will be very useful in disguising some of the things you are doing. If you can get them into 3rd and long, most of those plays are useless & his play call will be even more predictable.

I OU a Beatn
08-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Any man defense would work well against most of those plays. I wouldn't go cover 2 man because the DB somehow always lets the outside receiver by him, so you'd be screwed against the 4 verts, but I usually opt for pressure anyway. Any Cover 0 and Cover 1 blitzes would work well if you're able to manually control a LB or a Safety.

I wouldn't go man against Boiler Bunch, though. That's just screaming a cover 2 zone blitz, although the TE corner route would probably be open if it didn't get there in time.

Pig Bomb
09-15-2011, 01:46 PM
thanks for the tips guys... i ended up shutting down his star TE completely ...he ended up beating me anyway by runnig the ball

my team had waaaaay less talent than his [my ACC team vs his SEC team]..... so i felt good about really shutting down his pass game and especially his TE
...if we had a break or two go our way we might have even pulled off an upset

gschwendt
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I missed this thread initially but thought I'd weigh in anyway since I've come across a similar situation.

I was facing a user controlled UL Lafayette team who has a future NFL TE on their team and after that, no one else. What I ended up eventually doing in the game (once it was obvious he was going to target him in bucket loads), was run a 2-4-5 defense with mixes of zones & man. However, whether man or zone, I would just about always go in and tell either a blitzing CB or the OLB on the line in front of him, to manually cover him. Then in instances when I was sure of a pass to the TE, I would spotlight him in my zone defense in addition to the man covering him.

It had moderate success... the TE still had plenty of catches and my opponent still won (on a last second hail mary that bounced off of my user controlled player's knee), but I slowed him down once I took this tactic and also ensured that any catch he made was challenged, and also wasn't going for any yards after the catch.

Pig Bomb
09-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I missed this thread initially but thought I'd weigh in anyway since I've come across a similar situation.

I was facing a user controlled UL Lafayette team who has a future NFL TE on their team and after that, no one else. What I ended up eventually doing in the game (once it was obvious he was going to target him in bucket loads), was run a 2-4-5 defense with mixes of zones & man. However, whether man or zone, I would just about always go in and tell either a blitzing CB or the OLB on the line in front of him, to manually cover him. Then in instances when I was sure of a pass to the TE, I would spotlight him in my zone defense in addition to the man covering him.

It had moderate success... the TE still had plenty of catches and my opponent still won (on a last second hail mary that bounced off of my user controlled player's knee), but I slowed him down once I took this tactic and also ensured that any catch he made was challenged, and also wasn't going for any yards after the catch.

ya good stuff... i did that alot... i'd take a blitzing saftey or LB and tell him to man up on the TE...combined with the base zone D he was basically ignored...only 1 catch on the day

EDJ
10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
Nice. I would've recommended a Nickel 3-3-5, Cover 2 Look to stop the Tight Bunch (I do love the formation personally). The others I typically play Man to man and patrol the middle with a hook zone.

With the Nickel 3-3-5 you have the CB's cover the flats, the NB and OLB doing a deep Curl Flat Zone, and then the Safeties over top and a OLB and MLB in Hook Zones to cover the middle. Haven't practiced it much, but if you have enough speed the edges should be covered and you can manual the middle.