PDA

View Full Version : D.J. Gardner kicked off Mississippi State

JBHuskers
08-26-2011, 02:20 PM
What a moron :D

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/6898335/mississippi-state-bulldogs-dismiss-freshman-dj-gardner

STARKVILLE, Miss. -- Mississippi State freshman D.J. Gardner has been dismissed by coach Rick Stansbury for "repeated actions deemed detrimental to the team."

Gardner, a 6-foot-7 guard from Okolona, Miss., was expected to be redshirted this season. The freshman apparently wasn't happy with that decision, posting profanity-laced remarks on his Twitter account, according to The Clarion-Ledger.

Gardner's Twitter account has since been deleted. Gardner is the fourth Bulldogs player to leave the program in nine months -- joining Twany Beckham, John Riek and Elgin Bailey.

Stansbury had banned his players from using the social messaging website last season after Ravern Johnson used Twitter to question his role on the team.

The ban was lifted after the season. Stansbury hasn't said if it will return.

Johnson, the team's leading scorer, was suspended for two games in February. The offending tweet came after a Mississippi State loss and also raised eyebrows because it was retweeted by teammate Renardo Sidney.

Angela Gardner said her son had been lied to earlier this year when, as a recruit, he was told he would see significant playing time, The Clarion-Ledger reported.

"I was told no decision would be made until November about D.J. being redshirted," Angela Gardner told The Clarion-Ledger. "Imagine my surprise when I saw it come across Channel 9 news."

D.J. Gardner's mother told the newspaper he approached his coaches about redshirting his freshman year after being told he would be part of a three-player rotation at the guard position.

"It's like they sold him a dream," she said.

But Angela Gardner said she couldn't defend the Twitter postings.

"I don't uphold my kid when he is wrong," she said. "I don't like the tweets. It's not acceptable to me but he was upset."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

steelerfan
08-26-2011, 02:27 PM
More social media FAIL.

JBHuskers
08-26-2011, 02:42 PM
More social media FAIL.

You should join the club :D it's entertaining as you can see.

steelerfan
08-26-2011, 03:20 PM
:smh:

ram29jackson
08-26-2011, 09:28 PM
a coach shouldnt worry about or try to control social media bullcrap..why did 3/4 players leave? did they do something really wrong or the coach is a control freak?

while the kid is dumb, coaches shouldnt worry about twitter. Its a waste of time

psusnoop
08-28-2011, 10:41 AM
a coach shouldnt worry about or try to control social media bullcrap..why did 3/4 players leave? did they do something really wrong or the coach is a control freak?

while the kid is dumb, coaches shouldnt worry about twitter. Its a waste of time

Why shouldn't coaches worry about players tweeting terrible tweets that affect the coaches, players, and the University. They should exactly worry about tweets like this.

JeffHCross
08-28-2011, 11:00 AM
why did 3/4 players leave? did they do something really wrong or the coach is a control freak?Looks to me like two left because of lack-of-playing-time. The third was involved in a fight (in the stands) with a teammate and decided to leave the school after being reinstated.