PDA

View Full Version : What if the buns of a hamburger were grilled cheese sandwiches?

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 01:38 PM
http://consumerist.com/2010/06/friendlys-grilled-cheese-burger-melt-is-coming-for-your-arteries.html

http://consumerist.com/grilledcheeseburgermelt.jpg

Yes, the latest assault on America's waistline comes in the form of Friendly's recently launched Grilled Cheese BurgerMelt. Move over, Double Down, there's a new "something with far more calories than bread as a bun" sandwich in town.

Friendly's gastronomical innovation is not without precedent. The Grilled Cheese BurgerMelt appears to be inspired by similar "Fatty Melts" and "Chubby Melts" that have been served in the South for a few years now (source), as well as the Midwest.

What's the nutritional content of the culinary monstrosity? According to the Friendly's site (PDF):

1500 Calories
870 Fat Calories
79g Total Fat
38g Saturated Fat
180g Cholesterol
2090mg Sodium
101g Carbs
9g Dietary Fiber
4g Sugar
54g Protein

Deana, who sent it in, says, "BRB, dry heaving."
Consumerist's Laura says, "I love grilled cheeses. This is terrifying."

steelerfan
06-22-2010, 01:51 PM
101 Carbs? Wow!

Have to Google "Friendly's" to see where I can get one!

oweb26
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
Unlike the double-down that looks pretty good.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Unlike the double-down that looks pretty good.

Oh man the Double Down is GREAT

Flav
06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
This kind of stuff makes me want to go watch Man vs Food haha

steelerfan
06-22-2010, 02:24 PM

Man vs Food makes me want this kind of stuff!

morsdraconis
06-22-2010, 02:26 PM

Man, I fuckin' LOVE that show.

And that burger looks disgusting. Whatever happened to a great piece of meat, grilled to perfection with a modest amount of ketchup, good, thick slices of pickles (preferably bread and butter pickles), a few pieces of crisp lettuce, and maybe a couple pieces of thick cut oven baked bacon on a toasted hamburger bun? Why all the other shit on it? Burgers are awesome by themselves with a little salt. You really don't need to have a heartattack with them...

AustinWolv
06-22-2010, 03:08 PM
Holy.......schnit. 80g of fat?

It looks good, but that is seriously your entire day's worth of calories with 1+ day's allotment of fat.

Does have a lot of protein though. ;)

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 03:40 PM
I've never even heard of Friendly's. I don't know how I could even get a bite in with that monster. (that's what she said) I'd probably start with the top grilled cheese as an appetizer and then go with the burger/bottom grilled cheese combo, with a fork and knife :D

oweb26
06-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh man the Double Down is GREAT

Really?? you see I said looks, the double down just looks like its too much to eat.

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Really?? you see I said looks, the double down just looks like its too much to eat.

Ahhh it's not really that much. Just two strips with bacon and sauce and cheese in the middle. It just looks intimidating because the two strips are slathered (did I just invent a word?) together with the ultimate ingredient of bacon.

oweb26
06-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Ahhh it's not really that much. Just two strips with bacon and sauce and cheese in the middle. It just looks intimidating because the two strips are slathered (did I just invent a word?) together with the ultimate ingredient of bacon.
You sound (read) as if you are getting a boner just thinking about it. :)

steelerfan
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM

To be truly boner-inducing, this thing needs bacon. A few slices on the burger and a few on each of the grilled cheeses.

Mmmmm.....bacon....

JBHuskers
06-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Close.

I OU a Beatn
06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm gonna have to try this. I tried the Double Down from KFC and absolutely loved it. I've only had it once, though, because I felt like utter shit after eating it. 1,500 calories in this? :D Holy hell.

Iron Dragon
06-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Jeez. You wouldn't think it'd be 1500 calories.

oweb26
06-23-2010, 06:54 AM
What is up with you guys worrying about calories? Thats soo not manly, thats about as bad as worrying about calories in beers.

Maybe its because I am from the south and everything we eat is probably not good for you in some shape form or fashion.

steelerfan
06-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I went on Friendly's website to see if they had any locations anywhere near me. They do! The closest one is a mere 814 miles away in Florida! :D

:(

steelerfan
06-23-2010, 02:57 PM
What is up with you guys worrying about calories? Thats soo not manly, thats about as bad as worrying about calories in beers.

Maybe its because I am from the south and everything we eat is probably not good for you in some shape form or fashion.

Note that I live in the South and I said it needs bacon. Lots of bacon.

;)

JeffHCross
06-23-2010, 11:15 PM
I've never even heard of Friendly's.East Coast ice cream chain, mostly. I don't know why they would have this on their menu. Yes, they have some dinner items, but they're not well-known for their burgers.

I'll stick with their shakes, thanks. Jesus.

I may live in the South, but I'm headed for an early death anyway. I don't need help.

JBHuskers
06-24-2010, 09:37 AM
This thing needs to be deep fat fried.

steelerfan
06-24-2010, 11:41 AM

Batter-dipped and bacon-wrapped!

spiker
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I want a salad for lunch after reading this thread.

JBHuskers
06-24-2010, 12:02 PM
Batter-dipped and bacon-wrapped!

:drools:

Kingpin32
06-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Bring it to Texas, we'll fry it.

AustinWolv
06-24-2010, 02:35 PM

I live in the south, and I don't want to be fat. You can eat what you want and think you are tough, but you'll be the one sucking wind when it truly matters to be manly and tough. :p ;)

Luckily, I live in a fairly fat-free area, unlike Houston.

http://www.mensfitness.com/lifestyle/216

oweb26
06-25-2010, 05:54 AM
I live in the south, and I don't want to be fat. You can eat what you want and think you are tough, but you'll be the one sucking wind when it truly matters to be manly and tough. :p ;)

Luckily, I live in a fairly fat-free area, unlike Houston.

http://www.mensfitness.com/lifestyle/216

I guess I have always looked at it like calories is very relative, I probably eat a shit ton of calories but I'm not fat actually I'm still pretty skinny, I finally made it up to 185 pounds. :) If you eat this shit everyday then I guess you have a point to be worried about it, but it just bothers me that people be on TV all day talking about watching their calories even on beer commercials. Just get off your ass and hit the gym or run around or basically just do something besides playing games all day and I bet its not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. Americans are obese mostly because Americans are lazy and there is a fast food restaurant on every corner, there hasn't been a change in the food we eat that we make ourselves just a change in where you go get our food now on a more consistent basis i.e Mcdonalds, KFC, etc.

And when does it truly matter to be manly or not? Hell I don't fight I haven't fought anyone since high school, I don't want to have sex for hours, fuck that I have better shit to be doing plus i'm married I have been hitting the same thing for almost ten years now. :)

I was just joking about the manly part though in my original post.

AustinWolv
06-25-2010, 07:44 AM
If you eat this shit everyday then I guess you have a point to be worried about it

Americans are obese mostly because Americans are lazy and there is a fast food restaurant on every corner
This.

there hasn't been a change in the food we eat that we make ourselves
Well, over the past 100 years, yes.....big changes.

And when does it truly matter to be manly or not?
Because you never know when something might go down. Not that you are looking for trouble or something, but you never know when some whackjob decides you are a target for robbing or whatever.

oweb26
06-25-2010, 08:59 AM
This.

Well, over the past 100 years, yes.....big changes.

Because you never know when something might go down. Not that you are looking for trouble or something, but you never know when some whackjob decides you are a target for robbing or whatever.

I'm pretty sure my family has been eating the same shit forever, the same fried foods now whats in those foods (chemicals in chicken and vegtables. etc) might have changed so I will give you that one.

Now I serioulsy doubt I get winded if someone runs up on me in the manner you are speaking, I will beat the shit out of someone if I have too, why because "I'm so hood" :D

spiker
06-25-2010, 09:19 AM
If you slap some 1000 Island dressing on this bad boy, it would be money.

oweb26
06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
LOL I was driving to the store and I was thinking , man if that shit had some BBQ sauce I would cum on myself.

JBHuskers
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
LOL I was driving to the store and I was thinking , man if that shit had some BBQ sauce I would cum on myself.

:D :D :D :D oh jesus

in other news, had a Double Down last night *checks pulse* still alive!

iBrandon
06-25-2010, 03:43 PM
That thing is just crazy, but I would love to taste it

JBHuskers
06-25-2010, 04:31 PM
That thing is just crazy, but I would love to taste it

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n254/faustus777/TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg

steelerfan
06-25-2010, 05:50 PM
If you slap some 1000 Island dressing on this bad boy, it would be money.

Now we're getting somewhere!