PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 12 Impressions - Retail

Pages : 1 [2]

gigemaggs99
09-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I've always been more of a NCAA guy and since we are one income I decided to go with NCAA only this year.

My wife surprised me and bought me Madden for my birthday yesterday.

I gave it a shot last night, I only played 1 game but here are my impressions so far: (keep in mind they may change the more I get to play).

I like from the football side of it, (unless I haven't figured out the controls/button yet) there is no pass commit, no run commit. There are no game plan options.

I like this on the real football side of things. I understand in real life the coach can "tell them" to watch out for the pass or run, but on NCAA if your pass commit they seem to break up or PICK all the passes. Seems overboard, maybe they can turn that down a bit. Same with run commit, if you run commit the correct direction in NCAA you stop them 100% of the time, seems kinda cheap.

I also don't care for the game plan options in NCAA, where you can make the defense aggressive to the pass. It seems like the defense will jump all the routes and they (DBs) somehow become better and more aware than any WR I have on my team.

These are not options in Madden, or atleast I haven't found them yet. I like that the play I call is agains the play the CPU called. Yes you can hot route and audible your players still but you can't "stack the deck" in your favor by saying "DEFENSE PICK OFF EVERY PASS".

The game Madden LOOKS very nice. I haven't heard that bad of commentary, yes they get a little behind sometimes but I can tune that out.

I played as the Texans vs Cinn in a play now game. I won pretty easily so I'm not sure what the settings are but I had some good rushing and passing. I was also able to play some good D. I'm sure the more I play the more I'll learn and come to more pros vs cons between the 2 games. So far I'm glad she bought it for me.

It's nice to have a good solid football game. To me some of the pass/run commit, gameplan stuff...makes it too "video game" especially when it's so over powering. If they tuned it down a bit, then I'd accept it. I don't like to use it that much but I can't stop my opponent from doing it so it's out of my hands.

jaymo76
09-18-2011, 04:20 PM
Finished my first franchise season. Overall the game is great except for the absolutely awful commentary, complete lack of immersion, and removal of the extra point!?!? However, the SCOUTING/COMBINE and DRAFT really miss the mark and need to be redone. Basically for those who have not drafted, you can scout very few players so during the draft pretty much 90% of the players have question marks for everything. Basically drafting has become meaningless. This needs huge attention for Madden 13.

illwill10
09-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Finished my first franchise season. Overall the game is great except for the absolutely awful commentary, complete lack of immersion, and removal of the extra point!?!? However, the SCOUTING/COMBINE and DRAFT really miss the mark and need to be redone. Basically for those who have not drafted, you can scout very few players so during the draft pretty much 90% of the players have question marks for everything. Basically drafting has become meaningless. This needs huge attention for Madden 13.
Beside Gameplay, Commentary is one of the most important part of sports games. Great commentary can make a gamer feel part of a game instead of just playing it. Audio is horrible. I know it is Audio that makes commentary sound horrible, but I like them cut ties with Gus and Chris. Two different types of commentators. The script is terrible too. They really should have commentary specifically for Franchise. Besides milestones, it feels like you are just playing 16+ play now games. Pre-game commentary and QB needs to be fix.
Draft and scouting really needs to be improved. It is more of hopefully scouting the right players. You dont go into drafts knowing nothing alot about the players. They should add a mock draft thing like 2k12 is. A player description would be perfect. Telling you strengths and weaknesses with telling POT or OVRs

Rudy
09-18-2011, 05:48 PM
I like Chris Collinsworth in real life. He gets repetitive in the game but I still think he does a decent job. Maybe it's because its new to me it doesn't bother me but I can live with the commentary. Gus does need to go though and so does the EA guy in charge of commentary. The disjointed audio is awful and that's 100% EA. And how can EA defend not having every name in the game? I can understand some obscure guys but the guys coming out of the tunnel during the hyped pre-game intros don't all have names! Josh Cribbs doesn't have his name in the game, neither does Tebow. It's just very poorly put together. EA needs to go out and hire one of the 2K audio guys to run the show.

jaymo76
09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
What drives me nuts about the commentary is how the wrong lines play in certain situations. Eg you throw a pic six and then Gus breaks into a soliloquy about how he went for the pic and it cost him???

GatorfanStovy
09-18-2011, 07:25 PM
So I just started super star mode in Madden such a disappointment.It basically puts you right into preseason with no pre draft coverage or work outs for your player for pro days or even interviews with teams and coaches.I just with this mode could be so much more.I will be sticking to franchise mode from now on.I did import my QB from NCAA 12 into Madden.Just such a big let down!

champ195797
09-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Has any one had a problem loading draft classes

ram29jackson
09-23-2011, 12:55 AM
I dont see in online menues where you can search or set up an unranked game to use a created team or anything like that ?

illwill10
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Even though I only did it 3 times, I am having more sucess running out of Shotgun than I am on a regular pitch plays. It seems like the CPU knows it is a pitch play because the safety always drops and defense shifts towards the pitch side. I dont even call it anymore. I think the best way to run out of the gun is with a fast elusive RB.I scored off a huge shotgun run once.
I dont have a problem getting sacks. But, I am having problems getting user sacks. I might be able to pull off a DL Move sometimes, but most of the time I either got pushed down quickly or get stuck into a "patty cake" animation. I cant get no sacks in the 3-4 from my OLBs. I have good ones in Orakpo and Kerrigan, but cant get any pressure.

Rudy
09-24-2011, 07:28 PM
I get pressure from Wake pretty good. My CPU teammates do better than me sometimes. Just remember to only hit the dl move once. Let the move play out and don't be afraid to push down with a quick player on r-stick.

I love how organic Madden is. I'm still seeing some new animations. It feels fresh while NCAA felt stale.

Rudy
09-24-2011, 08:33 PM
I do think QBs are too inaccurate down the field near the sidelines. The game makes it a ton easier to hit deeper passes down the middle as QBs are more accurate and safeties seem hell bent on cheating to the outside and leaving the slot WR open far more open.

illwill10
09-25-2011, 10:31 AM
I do think QBs are too inaccurate down the field near the sidelines. The game makes it a ton easier to hit deeper passes down the middle as QBs are more accurate and safeties seem hell bent on cheating to the outside and leaving the slot WR open far more open.
Agree
Safeties mostly play the sideline. And the fact that most of the sideline passes go out of bounds 70+% of the time.It really opens up deep middle pass game.

Rudy
09-26-2011, 05:20 AM
I actually blocked a FG (not myself but a cpu teammate). I can't remember seeing this before. I was tied 10-10 with the Redskins and with no time left on the clock my team blocked this 49 yard attempt and I went on to win the game 13-10 in OT! Sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rygzApi6-Jw

On another note, I just love the running game in Madden. It's a blast. Every time I see a player in real life (college or NFL) that jukes or makes a defender miss in the open field it ticks me off about NCAA Football since it was so ridiculously hard. Between the neutered RB moves in NCAA 12 and the lack of player momentum where defenders can mirror every move, NCAA 12 just sucked the fun out of the running game for me. I know others feel differently but that really hurt the fun factor. Madden feels just right.

kindella2
09-26-2011, 10:16 AM
Can you turn off Cap Penalties or Clear them like previous versions?

I love the post Super Bowl win presentation...thats how it should be.

ram29jackson
09-26-2011, 07:14 PM

too inacurate? it has to be an AI flaw- period.... I mean, even when uncovered and wide open, the receivers dont rect to ball at all...theres something wrong with the AI and those routes...?

skipwondah33
09-27-2011, 02:32 PM
On another note, I just love the running game in Madden. It's a blast. Every time I see a player in real life (college or NFL) that jukes or makes a defender miss in the open field it ticks me off about NCAA Football since it was so ridiculously hard. Between the neutered RB moves in NCAA 12 and the lack of player momentum where defenders can mirror every move, NCAA 12 just sucked the fun out of the running game for me. I know others feel differently but that really hurt the fun factor. Madden feels just right.
I 2nd this post!

ryby6969
09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I am actually finding it hard to play NCAA after my time with Madden. It is a shame considering I prefer college to the NFL.

Rudy
09-28-2011, 05:36 AM
Brandon Marshall is a beast after the catch. While my other WRs go down without a fight, he's always fighting and breaking tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMk-ri6vUQ

Rudy
10-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Patch details to be released on Friday.

ram29jackson
10-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Patch details to be released on Friday.

uh oh LOL

I OU a Beatn
10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Good. I'd like to be able to get rid of it once I know they aren't going to fix zone defense, fix the shake blitz, fix the inability to press a TE, and the other billion issues that exist with online play. I'll be utterly shocked if they "fix" one thing that is actually worthwhile.

Rudy
10-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd like them to make sliders more powerful but I doubt they touch that. Special teams are also way too easy for the user and yet you can't do anything since the sliders are global. I missed one FG in 16 games.

Rudy
10-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Did my first draft. It makes me feel as though all the scouting I did was completely useless, especially the early scouting during the year. You don't get much info at all and it just ends up a giant crapshoot. Disappointed in that. You don't get even basic combine numbers like 40 times.

Where the heck do I change my playbook? I can do it before a game by hitting square for settings but I can't find it in the coach options. The menus in franchise suck compared to the menu system in dynasty mode for NCAA.

jaymo76
10-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Did my first draft. It makes me feel as though all the scouting I did was completely useless, especially the early scouting during the year. You don't get much info at all and it just ends up a giant crapshoot. Disappointed in that. You don't get even basic combine numbers like 40 times.

Where the heck do I change my playbook? I can do it before a game by hitting square for settings but I can't find it in the coach options. The menus in franchise suck compared to the menu system in dynasty mode for NCAA.

Exactly. Scouting serves no purpose and the draft is now worse than LAST year as you have zero info to even wager a guess.

illwill10
10-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Exactly. Scouting serves no purpose and the draft is now worse than LAST year as you have zero info to even wager a guess.
Draft this year is hopefully picking the right players, rather than scouting the right player. There is no way to figure out which positions are for what scheme. There isnt really a way to find out what OLBs and DL are 4-3 or 3-4. I wish they had a Pass Rush and Rush Stop ratings.
They need to add a Mock Draft, Scheme, Stock Risers and Fallers, Player Descriptions, and Traits. This is the things that most of scouts in IRL know already. Scouts know what scheme players will fit in, players tendencies, and what type of play style a player is. I would like to see either Kiper, McShay, or Mayock do a player description with strengths and weakness.

jaymo76
10-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Yeah Illwill,

I would love to see a mock draft and player descriptors re: positional play. I would also like to have a draft assistant recommend 2-3 players in the later rounds when all you do is guess.

Marlowe
10-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Just picked this game up a few days ago after a very long absence from Madden. I think the last version I played had Mike Vick on the cover. Presention has definitely improved from that version lol! I am lost on the controller scheme. I thought it would be more like NCAA 12. >( That's probably about the only thing I don't like about the game so far.

GatorfanStovy
10-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Any one up for an online match up?sim only tho.I'm on psn @ stovy50

Rudy
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
There is a long post on how to scout right. It seems retarded that EA did it this way but you only scout certain positions at certain times to max out your usefulness: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/508633-madden-12-scouting.html

I'll just post the recap but read more at OS if you want all the details. This list is based on what info gets revealed early on and that info is useless for certain positions.

Only Scout in Regular Season: OL
Scout w/Further Scouting Needed: HB, DB
Do Not Scout: QB, FB, WR, TE, DE, DT, LB, K, P

Only Scout in Combine/Finish Scouting: HB, WR, LB
If Needed/To Gather Information: QB, TE, DE, DT, DB
Do Not Scout: FB, OL, K, P

Only Scout in Pro Days/Finish Scouting: QB, FB, TE, DE, DT, LB, DB
Do Not Scout: HB, WR, OL, K, P

Scouting Needed to Receive Accurate Ratings Individual Workouts: HB, WR, LB, DB
Do Not Scout: QB, FB, TE, OL, DE, DT
If You Absolutely Need One: K, P

WolverineJay
10-18-2011, 10:02 PM
I have a decent scouting cheat sheet, but at this time it doesn't apply to imported drafts. I haven't done enough work to see if there is any pattern to certain attributes showing up during in-season scouting for good imported rookies like there is with madden generated draft rookies.

edit*** Imported draft data based on round by round draft projections: 1st rd talent (78-84 OVR) 2nd (76-78 OVR) 3rd (73-75 OVR) 4th (70-72 OVR) 5th (68-70 OVR) 6th (66-68 OVR) 7th (64-66 OVR) NA/0 (62-64 OVR)

On a sidenote regarding the drafts: I just laugh at a couple of things like the idiotic draft grade logic where I routinely get D+ grades even when I pull in 5 guys rated 75 or higher. The other is the trade logic when I see the CPU teams successfully trade with each other in the first round and I offer same thing only to get denied everytime. CPU team A will offer current 1st rd pick say #7 overall along with their 3rd rd pick that year to CPU team B to move up 3 spots in 1st rd to #4 overall and the trade goes through. First time I see that I turn around and offer my #24 pick n 3rd rd pick that year to the team with the #21 overall pick only to get denied. In fact a few minutes later I see the CPU team at #26 trade with the #21 team for their 1st and 3rd. I LOL hard at the simply retarded trade logic.

Rudy
10-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I didn't even know my draft got graded. When and where did you see that?

WolverineJay
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I didn't even know my draft got graded. When and where did you see that?

Yeah after you sign your drafted players you can check out your draft grade and review the draft. In the menu section titled THE DETAILS the game grades each team and identifies the best value pick you had along with your first selection. However it appears broken as I always get a D+ grade even when I get a top 3 draft talent wise. My last draft the 49ers got an A- and I got a D+ so I compared the OVR of their drafted guys to mine. The 49ers had 7 guys 72 OVR or higher and 3 that were 78 or higher whereas my team had 7 guys 70 OVR or higher and 3 that were 77 or higher. If the 49ers deserve an A- then I should've received a B+ because our drafts were almost the same talent wise and we both fulfilled our teams draft needs.

Rudy
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Madden's menus blow. I shouldn't have to search for that info. It should be presented by default. I'm 3-6 in year two. I'm guessing I can't go back and find that grade anymore. Mine wouldn't be that good. My later picks were better than my top ones.

WolverineJay
10-19-2011, 05:29 PM
Yeah they do blow, NCAA's menu sytem is much nicer. I also agree that a draft review and draft grades should appear as the next step following the draft instead of signing rookies.

ram29jackson
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
in the beginning, I didnt see it.. but now, it appears they still have the same problem of defenders just immediately skating to a spot when you thought and your receiver was basically open

jaymo76
10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Madden's menus blow. I shouldn't have to search for that info. It should be presented by default. I'm 3-6 in year two. I'm guessing I can't go back and find that grade anymore. Mine wouldn't be that good. My later picks were better than my top ones.

I just don't get why they changed the menu they used in 11. The 10 and 11 menu was excellent and easy to navigate. Change for the sake of change is unnecessary.

Rudy
10-29-2011, 01:20 PM
One thing that frustrates me with both EAs football games are the quick passing plays where the TE or Slot WR just run a straight out to the sideline. So often those guys are useless to me. Either the QB overthrows him if he's wide open or the WR/TE never stay in bounds when catching it. Even if they do catch it they seem to have a poor catching animation that makes them just stand still or struggle to get upfield. If anyone is near them they are often tackled for next to no gain. Personally I think those routes need to be stretched a little deeper. I've simply been audibling them to a quick out as it works a lot better that way imo.

I wish EA would just remove the dual stick running controls completely. Has there ever been a more useless feature that actually hurt the gameplay? I know EA's own data showed that users never used the thing. It was used less than 1% of the time or something. And the cpu uses it completely wrong. Even in Madden I'll see a RB start leaning when nobody is within 5 yards of him. What are you doing!? The cpu RBs need more help on how to do good moves. Please remove the dual stick options as users don't use them and the cpu uses it poorly.

I do think the 2nd patch has made it a lot easier to run the ball. I've been torching defenses on the ground and I'm making some significant changes now to keep it more balanced. The I-formation ISO and dive plays really work well. Part of it is the cpu defense tends to line up poorly against these formations and plays. Sometimes they overload the weak side. Safety support never seems to help up the middle unless they bring them right up to the line and then it can be even more dangerous as one broken tackle is a TD.

Rudy
10-30-2011, 06:42 AM
I'm seeing a LOT of regression for younger players still in their mid to last 20's. I'm not sure I should be seeing 5 point drops yet. It may be tied to playing time. Reggie Bush fell to 68 after my second year although he got hurt and I put him on IR.

Rudy
10-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Even with the scouting advice from that guy on OS (which does help) it still feels like the draft is an absolute crapshoot. All the time you spend scouting (far less than recruiting in NCAA) still feels virtually meaningless. It's clear to me that EA wants to create busts or players who aren't good in the first round but I think they went a little too far. In my first two drafts my picks in rounds 3-6 seems to be as good or better than rounds 1-2. Of the 5 guys you get to scout each year for perfect ratings I've always selected guys with grades in the first round or sometimes second and I'm disappointed in them every time. They usually have bad potential and aren't very good to start (like 72 with C potential). Maybe I'm just unlucky.

WolverineJay
10-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Here is a little trick Rudy when deciding who to scout during the first week of the season. Look at all players available and sort on Potential make sure it is sorting from best to worst(easiest way to tell is vast majority of those with high potential are 1st rd and 2nd rd guys for each position. In other words you may be sorting from worst potential to best if you see a bunch of 6th and 7th rd guys on top for Potential. This little oversight by EA doesn't guarantee a prospect will be an 85 OVR to start, but you will be able to see if that 2nd RD MLB has higher potential than the 1st RD graded guy or you can use it to find that 5th RD TE or OL as the steal of the draft.

Rudy
10-31-2011, 06:35 PM
You can see the potential of the prospects? I thought you could only see that on the Pro Day guys? Right now I just feel that all the scouting I did in the first two years was useless.

WolverineJay
10-31-2011, 08:00 PM
It will sort the players by potential but won't show you what the potential grade is for the draft prospect, but who ever is on top at each position is usually an A potential. Make sure though that your sorting correctly, I usually just press sort a few times and when the 1st RD guys are on top I know I have it sorted highest to lowest.

WolverineJay
10-31-2011, 08:02 PM
This is what allows you to sort out the bad players and build your big board of best players at each position you need during scouting.

Rudy
11-01-2011, 05:13 AM
What also bugs me is that the Pro Day guys that you scout to get full ratings don't show their full ratings during the draft! They only show the top 5 ratings of a prospect and the game doesn't let you go back and view your full scouting report. You can't even pause the game during the draft either! I had one of my kids bugging me for something and told them they had to wait until my draft was over (it had just started). I honestly can't believe how bad Madden's menu system in franchise mode is. It's not user friendly at all and is really lacking.

jaymo76
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah there is no doubt that the draft, scouting and pro Days are pretty awful as compared to what they should be. I am still playing the game and do enjoy gameplay but for all the changes the franchise mode still is severely lacking as compared to 2k titles (eg 2k3 and 2k5 especially).

Rudy
11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
It seems that if you play a preseason game that is a Monday nighter you have to cut your players ahead of time. I ended up playing a little bit (simming most of it) and at the end of the game it automatically went to the next week and the cpu had cut a bunch of my players. Just crap. Just another example of an incomplete franchise mode. I'm surprised by how rough it is. NCAA dynasty mode is set up a LOT better. It guides you through everything and has menus for sliders, formations subs and other things while Madden has squat.

Rudy
11-03-2011, 09:21 PM
It's a shame I couldn't get the Madden gameplay in NCAA. I miss recruiting and building a dynasty. Your team turns over so much faster in NCAA which makes it more interesting.

Rudy
11-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Free agency needs to be better next year in terms of menus and options. I can live with the e-bay style free agency as it can be fun but I hate the fact that I can't pre-scout the free agents ahead of time. I have no idea who is a free agent and by the time I figure it out some of the guys are already locked up.

Every team targets guys at the beginning of free agency. You should be able to scan the free agents ahead of time and "target" the ones you want. That way when free agency starts you can go to your target page and make sure you don't miss out on any of the guys you want. I'd like for teams to also be punished for playing time opportunities and/or win and loss records. I don't think you should ever block players from signing some place but those teams should have to pay significantly more to sign certain players.

steelerfan
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree that it would be nice to see the list of free agents before the bidding starts, but I'm not sure I want to pre-target guys. I'm afraid that would make it too easy to gobble up everyone.

At least the way it is now forces you to quickly hit the positions that you consider your top needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

jaymo76
11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I second being able to see all free agents BEFORE bidding. It would definitely give the user more time to consider strategy re: free agents.

Rudy
11-10-2011, 05:35 AM
I agree that it would be nice to see the list of free agents before the bidding starts, but I'm not sure I want to pre-target guys. I'm afraid that would make it too easy to gobble up everyone.

At least the way it is now forces you to quickly hit the positions that you consider your top needs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

That is a concern that it would make it too easy but that is something EA has to fix in terms of making the cpu aggressive and not letting you win things so easy.

illwill10
11-10-2011, 10:30 PM
After hearing and seeing the OAK vs. SD game, I would love to hear Mayock/Nessler in Madden. I never got bored while listening to it

ram29jackson
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
they should reward tokens for not quiting and finishing online team play games with other randoms.
I know you can get tokens if you play team play through a community/club youre in. But more often then not you cant get together planned with people.. so there needs to be insentive and reward.

More often then not, people quit team play games because nothing is at stake.

ram29jackson
05-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I dont get how teamplay games can be pretty smooth and fast/normal..but one on one online can get laggy depending on who it is ?

ram29jackson
06-01-2012, 02:48 AM
I did not know this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywb9SRpJl_M&feature=related

ram29jackson
06-01-2012, 02:49 AM
double