PDA

View Full Version : Gus Malzahn's Offense: "Cloudy Minds Equal Slow Feet"

irishfbfan1
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgcBPczLUI0&feature=player_embedded

gschwendt
06-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Arkansas State's new offensive coordinator, Hugh Freeze, apparently runs a similar offense to Malzahn (they're friends). I'm hoping it's just as exciting. As well, the NCAA playbook guy, Anthony White, grew up around Memphis and is already familiar with Freeze... here's hoping the offense translates well!

irishfbfan1
06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Arkansas State's new offensive coordinator, Hugh Freeze, apparently runs a similar offense to Malzahn (they're friends). I'm hoping it's just as exciting. As well, the NCAA playbook guy, Anthony White, grew up around Memphis and is already familiar with Freeze... here's hoping the offense translates well!

SWEET!!!!!!!

morsdraconis
06-22-2010, 11:45 AM
That's some seriously incredible stuff. I only wish that Auburn's playbook was that indepth in the game cause I'd use only it. That's so much crazy misdirection I'd probably confuse myself on who should do what.

AustinWolv
06-22-2010, 11:48 AM
It isn't magic, but the available options sure are fun to watch. We faced stuff like this in high school. We hated playing one team that literally had a minimum of two fakes on every play......there were typically 3 options of where the ball was going every play, not including PA. Just have to play your assignment and make sure you do it. The dumber players who couldn't follow their assignment or were too scared to trust that other players were doing their jobs and felt they had to cover for someone else were the ones that struggled big. Sometimes it turned into just tackle every potential ballcarrier.

Keontez
07-17-2010, 10:22 AM
That's some seriously incredible stuff. I only wish that Auburn's playbook was that indepth in the game cause I'd use only it. That's so much crazy misdirection I'd probably confuse myself on who should do what.

If you look at the playbook, its pretty similar to what Auburn runs. They're base running play is a sweep like play to the outside with a pulling guard, basically the 45 Base/Base running plays. Yes, there were a couple of things the game was missing, such as a reverse series thats highlighted in the video above and a shotgun wishbone-like look that they usually motioned to from their 2back/F-Wing look.

Play wise, according to Malzhan's book (which was written when he was still coaching high school and Im sure its evolved by now) he stated that they use a lot of direct snaps and such.

The formations are there, its just the logic for reverses (and shovel pass/option) isnt. Hopefully EA improves this. The Reverse Series that I know a lot of you guys were looking for could be easily implemented as a end arounds were this year. Put it in a shotgun format and give us a reverse option and a play action with a double fake.

morsdraconis
07-17-2010, 02:04 PM
The formations are there, its just the logic for reverses (and shovel pass/option) isnt. Hopefully EA improves this. The Reverse Series that I know a lot of you guys were looking for could be easily implemented as a end arounds were this year. Put it in a shotgun format and give us a reverse option and a play action with a double fake.

Haven't really looked at Auburn's playbook, but I have been messing around with WVU's playbook and WVU has a WR MNTN Option out of one of their Shotgun Formations that's almost a reversal (the WR goes in motion, goes past the HB and QB and then reverses field for a split second to get with the timing of the option).

Certainly not a reverse, but still a pretty neat option play (especially with WVU since that WR is almost always Tavon Austin who's basically another HB lined up at WR).

cdj
12-15-2010, 03:55 PM
The bad news is that the video linked in post one is no longer on YT.

The good news is that here is a pre-season primer & look at Malzahn's offense (http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/7/21/1555582/auburn-a-primer-on-the-gus-malzahn).

How many of you have read Malzahn's book? If I don't get it for Xmas, it will be purchased shortly thereafter. I'm really looking forward to reading it, even if it is a couple years old.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
ive got a buddy who is a GA at Auburn who helps me with consult work to the European teams... Malzahn/Kelly are my all time favorite offensive minds... im a die hard Ducks fan, but this NC game is a dream come true for me...

"E"

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
the offense i coach in HS is a marriage of Malzahn and the pistol... i call it "machine gun" or "power gun" since the kids dig the name and whatever gets them excited about offense is a must in my book... anyways... for the dev's to get this run game down and implement it in the game they need to study Wing-T blocking because thats just about the primary of what AU uses "GDB" with power pulls and bucksweep pulls... this was the playbook i had hoped for the most overhaul and customization but was let down when i saw that just the generic principles were updated ie. the power play aka 45 base out of gun as mentioned above... but the whole full on movement is whats needed... all motions, all turns by QB, all play fakes, everything... the sad thing is, its all inthe game already if they would just piece it together a little bit, and now that we have zone blocking tuning up the GDB (GAP-DOWN-BACKER) Wing-T stuff shouldnt be too hard...

"E"

Keontez
12-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I got the book and read it a couple of times. Its very light on X's and O's, it seemed to talk more about the Hurry Up more than anything.

cdj
12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I got the book and read it a couple of times. Its very light on X's and O's, it seemed to talk more about the Hurry Up more than anything.

Really? That's kind of surprising. Though, I'm sure his publisher is probably already pushing him to revise it and add-on given his success since it was written.

JeffHCross
12-25-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm not surprised by that, actually. Malzahn's offense, while I haven't investigated it in depth by any means, has never struck me as a complex scheme to prepare for. It's the speed and the execution that kills you. He probably does an above-average job of disguising his playcall, so there's little for the defense to key on, but that's just another aspect of keeping the defense guessing and on their heels.

Keontez
04-24-2011, 05:23 AM
did anybody download this video before it got taken off?