PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NFL Preseason Football Talk

morsdraconis
08-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Pretty interesting article about the Bears saying fuck you to the NFL and it's "Lets watch the kickoff team kick the ball into the back of the endzone 33.8% of the time" rule. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Bears-refuse-to-bend-to-new-kickoff-rule-told-b?urn=nfl-wp5084)

For those who don't know, the NFL, stupidly, changed the placement of the ball for kickoffs to the 35 instead of the 30. So, in the first week of the preseason, out of the 127 kickoffs, 43 of them were touchbacks (most of which, were either kicked out of the back of the endzone or actually through the fuckin' FG uprights).

God, how fuckin' stupid is this rule?

The NFL claims it's for the safety of the players, but take this into account:

Based on the average spot that a NFL team would start on the field in the NFL (the 29.8 or 30 yard line), and then based on the average amount of times the ball was kicked off and resulted in a touchback last year (16.4%) and then the average so far this year (33.8% or basically twice as often), then one gather from that information, that, on average, based on the number of drives in a season a NFL team would have (182), how many of those resulted in scores, and thus kickoffs, (67% of the time, or 122 times), you have a result of an extra 10 yards having to be traveled, on average, 21 extra times per year.

So, on average now, teams will have at least 3 more downs of extra contact from having to travel an extra 20-30 yards a game because of this rule.

How is that causing more safety for players if they are having to work more downs in the game compared to having an extra 2-3 kickoff coverages?

Nevermind the fact that it's eliminating one of the most exciting aspects of football that takes real skill and discipline to perform well at.

I hope the Bears continue to say, fuck you and I hope more teams take to it. The NFL is retarded for instituting such a ridiculous rule.

skipwondah33
08-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Bet that don't do it during the regular season lol

gschwendt
08-15-2011, 11:30 AM
They should just get a delay of game on the kickoff to move it back the 5 yards. If they choose not to enforce the penalty, then just get it again.

SmoothPancakes
08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Bet that don't do it during the regular season lol

I hope they do. It's a stupid as fuck rule. This is turning into the National Pussy League.

skipwondah33
08-15-2011, 11:54 AM
They should just get a delay of game on the kickoff to move it back the 5 yards. If they choose not to enforce the penalty, then just get it again.

They may try to find a way to award the opposing offense field position forward or something. Then again I don't see too many teams being outlaws towards this rule. Atleast special teams units won't have to worry about squib kicking. They just can try booting it out the endzone.

gschwendt
08-15-2011, 12:01 PM
They may try to find a way to award the opposing offense field position forward or something. Then again I don't see too many teams being outlaws towards this rule. Atleast special teams units won't have to worry about squib kicking. They just can try booting it out the endzone.
Yeah, but the closer you move forward, the more potential there is for a surprise onside kick with smaller downside.

I'd be curious what former players think about the whole thing.

psusnoop
08-15-2011, 02:22 PM
I would love to hear what former players think about this new rule as well.

steelerfan
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
I don't think it's such a big deal. Most of my life the kickoff was from the 35. It was moved to the 30 to get the offenses a little better field position to promote scoring. Now, it's being moved back to reduce the number of high speed collisions on returns.

There are far worse rule changes than this one, IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's such a big deal. Most of my life the kickoff was from the 35. It was moved to the 30 to get the offenses a little better field position to promote scoring. Now, it's being moved back to reduce the number of high speed collisions on returns.

There are far worse rule changes than this one, IMO.

Yes, but, before, footballs didn't travel as far as they do now. Something about what they are made out of makes them travel like 5-10 yards more on average.

steelerfan
08-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes, but, before, footballs didn't travel as far as they do now. Something about what they are made out of makes them travel like 5-10 yards more on average.

Then where are all the 65+ yard FGs?

To my knowledge, the "K" balls (ones used only on Special Teams plays) only differ in the fact that they are not broken in or worn to aid the kicking game.

Even if you're right, taking a kick return or 2 per game out (and replacing them with a play from scrimmage) is just not a big deal at all.

EDIT: I find nothing that says the balls are made differently. Just that they are brand new (sealed in the box from the manufacturer) prior to the game.

steelerfan
08-19-2011, 12:54 AM
Nice showing by Vick tonight. :D

Deuce
08-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Nice showing by Vick tonight. :D

Ya, the 'Dream Team' looked great last night.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
08-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Sure did. I loved watched a team that my Skins pushed around in the 1st quarter in preseason game #1 absolutely take it to Philthy.

skipwondah33
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
That illegal hit on Woodhead was pretty vicious. Not sure if the guy got a penalty or not but I'd like to know if he gets a fine. He unloaded head first into him

jaymo76
08-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Preseason sperbowl faves... NEW ENGLAND. Wow this team looks amazing after two games.

psusnoop
08-19-2011, 03:50 PM
That illegal hit on Woodhead was pretty vicious. Not sure if the guy got a penalty or not but I'd like to know if he gets a fine. He unloaded head first into him

I don't know either but he should get a fine.

ram29jackson
08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Ya, the 'Dream Team' looked great last night.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre season doenst mean shit. I doubt its an indicator that Philly will suck throughout the year..but it did look odd

ram29jackson
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Preseason sperbowl faves... NEW ENGLAND. Wow this team looks amazing after two games.

will new England be good like they have been? yes...but they are not going to be in a Super Bowl this year LOL that era is passed

SmoothPancakes
08-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Wow does Carolina suck. At halftime, Miami had 301 offensive yards. Carolina 90. :fp: