PDA

View Full Version : Gamefly to offer 'Unlimited PC Play'

gschwendt
08-09-2011, 12:15 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/09/gamefly-to-add-unlimited-pc-play-this-holiday/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/08/gamefly530pclauncher.jpg

GameFly will launch a new digital client this holiday, the biggest benefit of which will be a new "Unlimited PC Play" service. It will allow subscribers to download and play any offered PC/Mac games, presenting a natural evolution of the service since it acquired IGN's Direct2Drive platform several months back.

"We're talking to all publishers about participating. Several have been signed, but we're not announcing at this time," GamFly co-founder Sean Spector told Joystiq. "In the 'Unlimited PC Play' portion for GameFly subscribers, we expect to have over a hundred titles available for the beta launch, but we'll be adding to the list constantly and should have hundreds at the time of our holiday launch."

Asked if the company would offer a PC-only GameFly subscription, similar to those found with movie rental streaming services, Spector said, "We currently have no plans to offer a digital only subscription, as we believe the real value to gamers and our members is our unique combination of console and digital PC game offerings."

Spector tells us that, like the company's mobile apps, the client-based application should update regularly and customers will have access to whatever games they download as long as they maintain a subscription.

GameFly will launch the closed beta for the client on September 8 at a Los Angeles event, where attendees will receive a beta code for themselves and a friend. GameFly subscribers not in the LA area can still sign up by heading over to the beta section of the site.

gschwendt
08-09-2011, 12:17 PM
I'm definitely in on this as soon as it's offered. I hated Gamefly just because of having to wait for games to arrive and then once one did finally arrive, whether I was actually in the mood to play it or not. I'd have games sitting on the coffee table for weeks at a time. With this though, assuming the games being offered are ones I actually want to play, I'll be all over it.

psusnoop
08-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm definitely in on this as soon as it's offered. I hated Gamefly just because of having to wait for games to arrive and then once one did finally arrive, whether I was actually in the mood to play it or not. I'd have games sitting on the coffee table for weeks at a time. With this though, assuming the games being offered are ones I actually want to play, I'll be all over it.

This is interesting and could very well make me build another PC again. I haven't messed around much with PC's for a very very long time (for gaming) but this is a pretty sweet deal if they can get some really good titles involved.

morsdraconis
08-09-2011, 01:09 PM

:+1:

I'm definitely interested in this. Wonder if it's available with the cheapest plan Gamefly has for game rentals or if it's gonna only be bundled with their ridiculous expensive one or something. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
Curious to see if it is bundled, then split, then they pull a Netflix to piss everyone off.