PDA

View Full Version : Oneback's Offensive Strategies Discussion

Oneback
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Please click the links below:

Offensive Strategies: Running Game (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?499-Offensive-Strategies-Running-Game)

I will be adding more shortly, for now ask any questions you have.

Oneback
08-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Questions and Answers:

Kingpin32
08-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I keep getting a message saying I don't have permission to view the page.

Oneback
08-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Try now.

Kingpin32
08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Ok its working now.

th3 last tiger
08-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I use a something like this with the fly sweep series out of the weak I Y over look. It all depends upon whether or not the player rolls up a safety to the strong side. If yes, run the fake and hit him up the middle with the dive, otherwise stick with the fly sweep.

RcSinger
08-03-2011, 06:21 PM
In the third illustration, where you are talking about a fullback in the backfield being a +1, you have drawn 6 on the LOS as if there is a TE there. That creates the 7 gaps, With the FB in the backfield, would it not be 8 gaps?
Or is it just a mistake?

Oneback
08-03-2011, 07:02 PM
With a fullback in the backfield there would be 8 total gaps the defense would need to defend you are correct. The way I drew it up is the initial 7 gaps on the line then a +1 in the backfield as the fullback can add a gap to either side of the line. The same holds true for a running quarterback with a running back a long side of him as now with the run threat from the quarterback he has the ability to hold a backside defender (effectively blocking him) and thus another gap has been created or the running back could block for the quarterback essentially acting as a fullback.

Bill Belichick stated with a running quarterback the offense will always out gap you, so you must have at least one player that can play two gaps.

Why is this? Because the offense now has the ability to spread out out with only one running back in the backfield but as I stated before the running quarterback creates another gap.

RcSinger
08-05-2011, 12:10 PM
The ISO

RcSinger
08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
The ISO play is an A GAP play.
You would run the play to the A side of the line dictated by the lineman who is likely responsible for the A GAP.
Read the A side defensive tackle and act accordingly.
Why wouldnt you (or would you) run an A GAP play to the B side? You would assume there will be an initial hole there.
Is it because a linebacker will probably be responsive for the A GAP on the B side and have a better pursuit angle or pin the back in the hole?
What about having a lead blocker? Does that change running a A GAP play into the B Side?

Oneback
08-05-2011, 11:00 PM
You can certainly run an A-side play into the B-side and vice-versa however you then need to figure some things out blocking wise as you typically will not have the same sort of numbers\leverage advantage as you would running an A-side play to the A-side or 1-technique side.

For example with inside zone and ISO for that matter when running to the A-side you are able to create three double team blocks as opposed to two when running it to the B-side. Again, it doesn't mean you cannot be successful running it to the B-side however.

With ISO you are trying to create vertical movement upfront and then have the lead blocker create east or west movement on his block opening the door for the ball carrier to run through, what better was to create movement upfront then guaranteeing yourself three double team blocks instead of two.

There are plenty of real life teams that don't care what the front is and "just run the damn play" as they do not want the defense to dictate what plays can be run to each side then wonder why they are no longer able to run their bread and butter play into an over shifted defense.

If going into a game I knew your favorite play was power would I want to give you an over front (3-tech) and hope for the best or should would I give an an under front (1-tech) and take you out of your comfort zone? If I give you an under front you now have two choices on offense, formation me in such a way that I have to give you an over front or run a play that takes advantage of of the 1-tech.

While using formations is part of the offensive toolbox if you have to formation me in such a way to force me into an over front I have now limited what you can do on offense formation wise and am now expecting the power play. Conversely, if you take advantage of what the defense is giving you there is no limitation of formations and you've introduced more "plays" I have to worry about as a defensive play caller.

HoggyStyle
08-10-2011, 01:45 PM
When you talk about starting in I normal, then moving to I twins etc; run the stretch if they play inside technique; run the power if the play outside technique and dont bring the safety down. I tried to practice this last night In both I normal and I twins and was wondering do you start in stretch and then you're run formation audible is power? It wasn't allowing me to form audible into other runs for some reason, if i started in stretch it stayed in stretch and vice versa with power it stayed in power.