PDA

View Full Version : 360 - ESPN3 v. 2.0 Update Coming

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.1up.com/media?id=3910906&type=lg

http://www.1up.com/news/revamped-espn-app-better-than-watching-sports-tv

Last year's Xbox 360 fall dashboard update brought with it ESPN3 support, allowing for a selection of sports content to be streamed to the console. All that's required is an Xbox Live Gold subscription and an Internet service provider that delivers ESPN3. It's hardly perfect, but it did allow for sports fans to take in 32 college football bowl games this past December and January. While the app has gotten some minor upgrades since launch, it'll be getting a big revamp next month with ESPN 2.0.

According to Gizmodo, the updated app will still deliver the same ESPN3 content as before, which will immediately cause some to lose interest. For those who do care about what it has on tap -- college football, in particular -- there will be a wealth of new features available beginning on August 25, including the ability to simultaneously watch two streams in 720p that can be independently paused and rewinded with a controller or Kinect voice commands.

Besides the obvious benefits of watching two different games, it opens the door for other possibilities: you could have highlights or stats on one side while watching a game on the other, or you could watch a game on both sides and rewind through one of them to see something a second time. One example that was given saw a soccer game playing on one side while rewinding through the other to show someone a goal they missed.

Also new is the mini guide, located at the bottom of the screen, which allows you to easily see what other games are on (making it easy to start watching them) while also keeping tabs on their scores. The right side of the screen will feature a live scoreboard that will initially only have college football.

Hopefully ESPN3's content offering will continue to expand over time. (Social features and content recommendations will be improving starting with this update.) For college football fans, the ability to watch two games or enjoy two different streams of the same game should make the 360 app the preferred way for watching the sport this fall.

SmoothPancakes
07-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Doesn't matter for me because Microsoft and Time Warner Cable still won't stop fucking bitching about money and shit and let us TWC people have ESPN3 on our 360s. http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/SmoothPancakes/Smilies/e133153.gif

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Doesn't matter for me because Microsoft and Time Warner Cable still won't stop fucking bitching about money and shit and let us TWC people have ESPN3 on our 360s. http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx305/SmoothPancakes/Smilies/e133153.gif

I know I had access to it when I had Windstream/Dish...but since I've moved back into a 1-bedroom apartment, I like Time Warner much better, but this sucks that they haven't come to an agreement yet.

SmoothPancakes
07-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I know I had access to it when I had Windstream/Dish...but since I've moved back into a 1-bedroom apartment, I like Time Warner much better, but this sucks that they haven't come to an agreement yet.

Yeah, all of us on TWC have been getting completely screwed for almost an entire year now, while every other internet provider has been on board and letting their customers have full access. Nobody can give a damn straight answer. Microsoft and ESPN say it's Time Warner, Time Warner says it Microsoft, and the fucking wheel just keeps spinning. I would rather they all just grow some sacks and say "guess what, due to differences and issues, ESPN3 will not be available on 360 for TWC subscribers at anytime in the foreseeable future", rather than this stupid as hell "we're working on getting access to everyone" and "it's coming soon". Stop jerking me around and just give a damn straight answer, someone!

For me personally, I think it's TWC who is to blame. They're so goddamn paranoid about losing cable subscribers due to stuff like ESPN3 and such. Hell, you have to have a cable subscription with TWC just to even have access to ESPN3 on the computer. I swear to god I'm starting to hate that godforsaken company more and more.

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah this is the answer I just got....

http://twitter.com/#!/XboxSupport/status/96321574025695233

souljahbill
07-27-2011, 04:05 PM
For me personally, I think it's TWC who is to blame. They're so goddamn paranoid about losing cable subscribers due to stuff like ESPN3 and such. Hell, you have to have a cable subscription with TWC just to even have access to ESPN3 on the computer. I swear to god I'm starting to hate that godforsaken company more and more. If I were a single man, I could get away with not having cable if I had access to sports via the Internet. My wife has to watch all her crap tv shows and movies on Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Bravo, etc. so I'm stuck paying for cable tv (we have AT&T U-Verse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Yep, same as everyone on all sides have been saying since ESPN3 rolled out on 360 last September. :fp:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that those of us on TWC are never going to have access to it. It took the NFL just 4 1/2 months to come to an agreement over $7 billion. It's taken 10 months since this shit between MS and TWC started, over something concerning a lot less money, and still not a single person on either side has a single damn clue as to when there could even be hope of an agreement.

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Since my computer is close by my TV, I'm not as worried about it. But yeah it would be nice to have.

SmoothPancakes
07-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Since my computer is close by my TV, I'm not as worried about it. But yeah it would be nice to have.

Yeah, I mean overall, I'm able to manage, since I have my laptop sitting right next to my recliner, and my recliner is sitting in front of my TV, so I'm able to make do. I just wish they would agree on this crap and get it settled, since I keep hearing so much about ESPN3 on XBox, and some of the great features the full ESPN3 has on it, yet it's been almost a year and I still can't even look at anything other than highlights.

I OU a Beatn
07-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Looks awesome, too bad it's still only ESPN3.

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 10:33 AM
Ask and you shall recieve. Courtesy of Stick Skills:

@StickSkills Time Warner Cable subscribers get ESPN3 access on Xbox 360 http://t.co/e6MpeOb #videogames

THANK YOU BABY JESUS!

morsdraconis
07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Cool. About time they get with the program (doesn't affect me).

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you God!!! Finally!

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
The biggest thing I want to if is to watch college football games on ESPN3 that aren't on TV, and also watch them on my 37" LCD HDTV, and not my 17" laptop screen.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Now was that really that f'ing hard for Time Warner and Microsoft? You just simply log in to the My Services on Time Warner Cable, it automatically redirects you to the ESPN3 Access page with your Access Code showing up ready to be entered.

And now that I finally have full access, sweet. Now I can watch, in 37" HD goodness on my TV, Aussie Rules Football, Major League Lacrosse, Major League Soccer, the various NCAA Football Media Days, international soccer matches, CFL, thank you lord for those bastards getting their acts together. Currently 2793 On Demand Events to keep my occupied, as opposed to only like 30 days worth of events on ESPN3.com.

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 01:07 PM
:up: got my access code right away and going to get it activated when I get home from work.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 01:20 PM
:up: got my access code right away and going to get it activated when I get home from work.

Same here. As soon as I read your post, and went and got my access code. Since I'm off work today, I'm going through right now setting up my stuff. Currently have 41 "My Sports" :D Between tennis, multiple soccer leagues, Aussie Rules, NFL, NCAA Football, some golf, MLB, MLL Lacrosse, NCAA Lacrosse, NBA, NHL, NCAA Hockey, NCAA Basketball, and a pair of Rugby selections.

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Yeah I should have my settings saved from when I had Windstream..."should".

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Alright, so we can finally get full access to ESPN3 on 360, we just can't play anything. :fp:

Every event, Live and On Demand, comes back with a E09 error. According to Xbox Support on Twitter, it's an ISP issue, which means Time Warner, while finally allowing access, either doesn't have their shit in house fully together yet, or someone forgot to flip a switch. :fp:

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Call 'em.

SmoothPancakes
07-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Call 'em.

Call Time Warner's customer service? Heh, I don't know if I want to put myself through that aggravation. Maybe it's just my bad luck, but every time I've dealt with their customer service in the pass, I ended up more aggravated in the end than I was when I made the call.

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
At least they'll be aware of it, though I'm sure many have already called :D

Shripe
07-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Sidenote, but related... With Big Ten Network's BTN2Go service sounding a lot like ESPN3 (web-based streaming that's ISP/Cable provider allowed), I'm hoping that I can get it just from having AT&T U-verse, like I do with ESPN3, without having to have their TV services. I want to catch more Badger games without having to go to bars. Sigh. :)

cdj
08-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Update is now available, according to Major Nelson (http://majornelson.com/2011/08/25/espn-app-update-now-available/)

SmoothPancakes
08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Makes no difference to me anymore. :( The stupid bastards at ESPN, Microsoft, or TWC disabled my access code I had manged to get when that site was still active. So now I have to get a new access code, and of course TWC, ESPN, and MS can't come to goddamn agreement, leaving me getting screwed involuntarily.

I OU a Beatn
08-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Sweet. I'll have to check it out tonight then.

I OU a Beatn
08-25-2011, 09:08 PM
I gave it a quick try and it's much better than the first version. I'll definitely use it a lot more come football season.

SmoothPancakes
08-25-2011, 09:51 PM
I'd love to use it. If only MS and TWC would get their goddamn heads out of their asses. :fp:

SmoothPancakes
08-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Ok, so I have no clue what's going on now. If TWC and MS figured out what the hell they needed to do to agree on something, or what. But I am currently watching Pleasant Grove (CA) vs. Monterey Trail (CA) HS football live on the ESPN app. Just fired up the archived replay of Hamilton Nationals vs. Denver Outlaws Major League Lacross Semifinal game with no problem.

Maybe things are finally worked out between MS and TWC, or maybe that access code I was able to snag while the authentication website was active a couple weeks back works again.

JBHuskers
08-27-2011, 09:29 PM
I need to try this then because I was having problems ever since the update too with getting live games (as I have TWC too).

JBHuskers
08-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Nope, still no f'n access.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
08-27-2011, 09:38 PM
I need to try this then because I was having problems ever since the update too with getting live games (as I have TWC too).

Nope, still no f'n access.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Damn, I wonder what the hell's going on then. I've right now got split screen going, with Major League Lacrosse replay going on in the left screen, and live HS football from California going on in the right screen. I wonder why I'm able to get full access, but you can't.