PDA

View Full Version : Week 4, 2011

Oneback
07-26-2011, 01:18 PM
=============== Colorado State Rams (2-0) ===============
Last week the Rams were idle.
This week, the Rams travel to Denver to face the Colorado Buffaloes (0-2).

=============== Troy Trojans (0-1) ===============
Last week the Trojans were idle.
This week, the Trojans will host Vanderbilt (2-1).

=============== Marshall Thundering Herd (1-1) ===============
Last week, Marshall won 37-20 against Colorado (0-2).
This week, the Thundering Herd travel to Miami to face the Miami Hurricanes (1-0).

=============== Iowa State Cyclones (2-0) ===============
Last week, Iowa State won 13-7 against Iowa (1-1).
This week, the Cyclones will host Ohio (2-0).

=============== Duke Blue Devils (1-1) ===============
Last week, Duke lost 28-25 against Stanford (2-0).
This week, the Blue Devils travel to Lawrence to face the Kansas Jayhawks (2-0).
In recruiting news, the following Duke targets have announced their decisions:
- (***) CB Jason Walter has committed to Duke

=============== Wake Forest Demon Deacons (0-2) ===============
Last week, Wake Forest lost 48-41 against NC State (2-0).
This week, the Demon Deacons are idle.

=============== Colorado Buffaloes (0-2) ===============
Last week, Colorado lost 37-20 against Marshall (1-1).
This week, the Buffaloes will host Colorado State (2-0).

=============== Kansas Jayhawks (2-0) ===============
Last week, Kansas won 20-9 against Northern Illinois (1-1).
This week, the Jayhawks will host Duke (1-1).
In recruiting news, the following Kansas targets have announced their decisions:
- (***) TE Joe Tolbert has committed to Kansas

=============== Vanderbilt Commodores (2-1) ===============
Last week, Vanderbilt won 34-28 against Minnesota (0-2).
This week, the Commodores travel to Troy to face the Troy Trojans (0-1).

=============== Indiana Hoosiers (3-0) ===============
Last week, Indiana won 28-27 against Virginia (1-1).
This week, the Hoosiers travel to Bowling Green to face the Bowling Green Falcons (1-1).

=============== Minnesota Golden Gophers (0-2) ===============
Last week, Minnesota lost 34-28 against Vanderbilt (2-1).
This week, the Golden Gophers will host New Mexico State (0-2).

=============== Miami University RedHawks (2-0) ===============
Last week, Miami University won 31-3 against Akron (0-2).
This week, the RedHawks are idle.

fsuprime
07-26-2011, 11:49 PM
Kansas I have my series 7 license exam on thursday so i am studying all day tomorrow but i can play thursday night or friday afternoon

Oneback
07-27-2011, 05:06 AM
Kansas I have my series 7 license exam on thursday so i am studying all day tomorrow but i can play thursday night or friday afternoon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvICN8DNMpY

skipwondah33
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM

On vacation until Friday. We get back Friday afternoon, unsure of exact time will post up when I know.

psuexv
07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
ID, when can you play this week. I probably can't tonight but should be good to go the rest of the week.

fsuprime
07-27-2011, 10:07 AM
On vacation until Friday. We get back Friday afternoon, unsure of exact time will post up when I know.

ah perfect time for me to have the exam then, have fun on vacation, ill probably be getting wasted this weekend since it is my last one here in tally with my friends but I am sure there will be a good time to play early friday evening or sometime saturday

Oneback
07-27-2011, 11:53 AM
RC what times are you available to play? With my schedule right now I'd be able to play anytime after 1pm up till 5:30pm central today or tomorrow and anytime after 1pm central on Friday through Monday at 9:30pm central.

Kingpin32
07-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Kingpin what time can you play? Oh thats right you don't have a game this week.

RcSinger
07-27-2011, 05:45 PM
I just broke a $50 controller that is less than 2 months old. Getting kicked around the way I do is demoralizing and has rendered this game miserable to me. I have asked several times before for help in understanding what I am doing wrong and I usually get some good info but it's not in depth enough. There has to be something extremely lackluster in my playcalling or play style that causes it. Most games I play I have mo blocking up front. My opponent has very good blocking throughout the game with the very rare breakdown. My receivers are always locked up in coverage meaning I have to force the ball in while my opponent has always got open receivers. I try for the pick in the few times that I do have someone in position and get maybe 1 in 10 I try, yet my opponent usually gets 2 or 3 in every 5.
When I do get something going, a penalty takes it away from me (ala the holding penalty after I got the first on the 3rd and inch play OB). when I find an open receiver, he often will drop the ball. I notice that lots of passes to he flats work for my opponents, yet anytime I try for them, either the receiver is covered or the QB throws the ball out of bounds. Many plays where I have openings, the QB will throw an impossible pass for the receiver to make. Where is my run blocking? Even against the CPU, I have no holes to run through. Last year I always had good running stats against the CPU but this year I cannot run at all.

I know you guys could care less if I dropped out if the dynasty because there is someone waiting to fill my spot. But I am begging someone to take the time to help me with playcalling strategies, reads, and/or gameplay before it cones to that.

Is it possible that EA actually programmed certain gamertags into the game to just fail? Maybe the ones who have been he most critical of them? Far fetched, but I am starting to wonder.

Oneback
07-27-2011, 06:06 PM
RC, none of us want to see you drop out. Hang in there just a little longer as I am working on a huge write-up for the offensive side of the ball which will include tips on the running and passing game as well as how to defeat certian coverages and protect against the blitz. It will also have a few things about defense but that isn't what this write-up will be about, I'll do a full write-up on defense later.

On offense you do call a lot of the same running plays so everytime you'd come out in 21 personell I'd call a certian defense, and when I saw you were in Weak Normal I'd make an adjustment then grab the weakside linebacker as I know the power play was coming.

Iron Dragon
07-27-2011, 06:49 PM
I can play Thursday after 10, or Friday evening & night.

RcSinger
07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
21 personell? Does that mean 2 WR and 1 back?

Oneback
07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
21 personell? Does that mean 2 WR and 1 back?

2 backs, 1 tight end

gschwendt
07-27-2011, 10:31 PM
2 backs, 1 tight end
I always thought 21/22 personnel listing were actually referring to WR & TE personnel (then the rest are assumed RBs).

Oneback
07-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Other way around, you always count (or at least this is how I learned it) what you have to align to on defense. In other words...you start off by having 6 gaps that you have to defend (outside each tackle, guard/tackle and guard/center gap to each side of the line). For every tight end you add another gap, so with 1 tight end there would be 7 gaps, with 2 tight ends there would be 8 gaps. With just one running back in the game you wouldn't add a gap (unless you have a running quarterback), but with every additional running back you would add one gap.

This is significant because if the offense comes out in 12 personnel and you line up with seven in the box the offense has you out numbered. So, what does the defense do...they drop a safety into the box and utilize a one high look. The defense must then have an answer for 2x2 looks because the offense can now threaten with 4 immediate deep threats.

gschwendt
07-28-2011, 12:28 AM
Well, I feel like a dope. I was almost certain before but I remember whenever I was building my 22-personnel custom playbook for the pre-release video purposes, I double checked my terminology and could have swore I found a (seemingly respectable) website referring to the same exact thing I was thinking. Now I can't find it. :/

I was trying to build a playbook built around 1HB & 2TEs... obviously I was referring to 12 personnel. :fp:

psuexv
07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
I can play Thursday after 10, or Friday evening & night.

Tonight after 10 should work out well.

psuexv
07-28-2011, 09:09 AM
On offense you do call a lot of the same running plays so everytime you'd come out in 21 personell I'd call a certian defense, and when I saw you were in Weak Normal I'd make an adjustment then grab the weakside linebacker as I know the power play was coming.

RC - I've never played you but if OB is right and you are predictable that is never a good thing. You might want to work out of throwing from "running" formations or being able to flip the run can be very valuable too.

ryby6969
07-28-2011, 09:30 AM
To add to what E and OB said RC, the only way you can overcome predictability in playcalling is superior stick skills or players. You cannot run on first and second and then throw on 3rd every drive. Most of this I am sure you know, but once you get into the heat of a game it is easy to forget. The defense has to be kept off balance by playcalling and personnel or your offense will sputter. Gameplan to what your team does well and your competitor does not. The one thing I will tell you is I know you have trouble user tackling so when I have played you in the past I try to exploit that. If I go against someone who I have not played and they use a safety for example, I make sure to challenge them early to see how they react.

Most of this stuff pertains to defense as well this year. If you call the same few defenses all game good players are going to find ways to exploit it. I would not get to down on yourself at the moment because you have not played with your team to much and have to get a feel for what they can and cannot do. Make mental notes of what works so when CPB's get patched(hopefully) you will have an idea of what to make your playbook into.

psuexv
07-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah Papa is the only one I know that can call the same play over and over and over and over again and get away with it :D :D

gschwendt
07-28-2011, 09:40 AM
To avoid predictability in play-calling... occasionally toss in random plays that you never run on 1st & 2nd down. Honestly the majority of my playcalling is fairly random... i don't use play-call sheets, I don't have drive charts, or anything like that. It's more a matter of when I get to the play-call screen, I try to think to myself "what haven't I called yet" and I go find it. That and especially when I'm playing a UvU game, I try to setup stuff to keep the other user wondering when am I actually going to cash in on it. I'll call fake audibles & fake hot routes nearly every other play... motion guys for no apparent reason. When playing against a User, there is a lot of cat & mouse that can be done and if they're too busy watching the motion man, they're going to miss the 6'7 240lbs FB running them over. :D

psuexv
07-28-2011, 09:52 AM
G made a subtle point that is really important. You need to play "each" game like you are playing a user. It can be very easy against the computer to just call plays that work. The CPU games can be your best practice for user games.

Setting plays up is very useful. It might not even be a play that works but giving your opponent a bunch of things to think about is valuable.

Papa LoneStar
07-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Yeah Papa is the only one I know that can call the same play over and over and over and over again and get away with it :D :D

*cough* I don't know what you are talking abut

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 05:21 PM

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Is there anywhere that has all plays from all formations so you can review them all and pick out your favorites?

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
On the predictability thing. I do try at times to say, play action on first or run out of the gun. It just seems that no matter what I pick or when, it is well defended. So I start to default back to the "bread & butter" plays that have worked in the past such as off tackle runs and counters (at least they have worked for me the last 2 releases with Bama and VT).

ryby6969
07-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I have found that outside runs are not nearly as effective as in the past. I have had more success cutting up the middle this season rather than running outside unless you have ungodly speed.(James, Demps, etc.)

psuexv
07-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Is there anywhere that has all plays from all formations so you can review them all and pick out your favorites?

http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2681

JeffHCross
07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
One of my techniques to avoid predictability is to just call the same formation for an entire drive. Then, pick another formation, and do the same for the next drive.

Papa LoneStar
07-28-2011, 08:02 PM
:Indiana:

The Hoosiers improve to 2-0 in MAC play by slappin' around the Bowling Green Falcons 37-3 on the road. The Indiana defense absolutely shut down the Falcons....holding them to 86 yards of offense despite only forcing 1 turnover. Darrius Willis rushed for 129 yards and 3 TD. QB Edward Baker bounced back from his horrific performance vs Virginia with an 11-18 143 yard 1 TD 0 INT day. The Hoosiers will take a week off then get ready to host the Penn State Nittany Lions....October 1st....12pm eastern on ESPN.

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 08:30 PM
What the hell prompts a EFFIN holding penalty? 3rd and 1 on a crutial play? Every game I am stopped at the most inopportune times with a holding penalty. And if not irritating enough, the game let's you get a huge gain on the play only to call it back. Does anyone else have Problems with 7 or so holding penalties a game? What causes holding to get called in the game?

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 09:01 PM
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2681

Anywhere you can find the play art for all plays?

Oneback
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
What the hell prompts a EFFIN holding penalty? 3rd and 1 on a crutial play? Every game I am stopped at the most inopportune times with a holding penalty. And if not irritating enough, the game let's you get a huge gain on the play only to call it back. Does anyone else have Problems with 7 or so holding penalties a game? What causes holding to get called in the game?

Its a combination of coach settings and player awareness.

RcSinger
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I usually leave all adjustments on balanced except occasionally pass defense and strip ball.'

Oneback
07-29-2011, 12:24 AM
It's probably a function of young offensive linemen with low awareness then.

fsuprime
07-29-2011, 08:24 AM
skip i can play any time today

Iron Dragon
07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Lagout and please wait x2 vs. psuexv in the first quarter both times. There was lag on probably every play (not 5-10 second lag, but noticeable delay) and then it would just go into a log period of loading, please wait in between plays twice.

We decided it was a lost cause for trying and went on auto.

skipwondah33
07-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Man if I can't get user games in I am going to be extremely frustrated.

My fault FSU didn't get in until yesterday evening. I can play Saturday after 2 est up to 5 or after 8 est

Oneback
07-30-2011, 07:43 AM
I was having the same problem with Singer...I then moved my PS3 out into the living room where I could plug directly into my router, used the pause trick and we were able to get a game in. This is coming after not being able to finish one game since the game g and I played on the 21st.

fsuprime
07-30-2011, 08:25 AM
seems strange ive only attempted 2 user games, one vs oneback and one vs Sooner09 and they both worked fine but this was the day of release.

NP Skip, between 2-5 will be best, if not, tomorrow ill be available all day.

psuexv
07-30-2011, 10:03 AM
It's been hit or miss for me since release, I've really only had problems against ID and Papa. JB and I got disconnected once in M2Big and then the second try the game was smooth. The game against Escobar went smooth too if I remember correctly.

skipwondah33
07-30-2011, 01:27 PM
1st attempt disco'd in the 1st quarter 1 minute into the game lol

fsuprime
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM
had a great game going in the 2nd quarter, duke up 10-7 with kansas driving to the red zone and then boom, a 2nd disconnect...im not sure this game is playable in its current state, i cant believe in 2011 a computer game company can suck this bad at net code.

skipwondah33
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM
2nd attempt, disco'd in 2nd quarter 1:30 half in 10-7 Duke..with me inside the 20.

This isn't going to be fun for me if I can only play the CPU. Can't remember the last time I completed a user game. We will have to try again later as I have something to do now.

fsuprime
07-30-2011, 02:20 PM
ill be drunk later, have to try tomorrow

skipwondah33
07-30-2011, 03:08 PM
That's fine Prime I may be as well the way it's looking

JeffHCross
07-30-2011, 04:50 PM
i cant believe in 2011 a computer game company can suck this bad at net code.Considering that it's peer to peer, I can believe it ... there's too much outside their control in a peer-to-peer connection. But, it makes no sense since it seems to have gotten considerably worse from NCAA 11 to 12. That just isn't logical. Especially for a game and company that relies so much on stable online play (between Online Dynasty and Madden's Online Play-heavy userbase).

skipwondah33
07-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Ive never had this much trouble with Madden and I only play user vs user games in my leagues.

This is getting ridiculous

Oneback
07-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I understand it's peer to peer, but there has got to be some issue with the game that is causing an issue. I've heard where guys are going out and buying brand new slim PS3's and are having zero issues with game freezes and online afterwards where they were having issues before. I'll be honest I've thought about purchasing a new 160GB PS3, but in the end if I need to purchase the newest hardware with each release of the game I might as well go back to PC gaming as the sole reason why I got heavily into console gaming was so that I didn't need to go out an buy new hardware or a $5000 PC just so I can play the newest games.

I really do wonder if Madden will have these same issues once it releases, and if not there better be a fix for NCAA or there may be a strong possibility I jump ship to Madden which would really suck as I am much more a fan of college ball than I am pro.

psuexv
07-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah I've never really had problems in the past but with this years game i can be just sitting in the lobby and I'll get a message that I'm kicked out of the EA servers, still in the PSN though.

JeffHCross
07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
I understand it's peer to peer, but there has got to be some issue with the game that is causing an issue.Agreed. I was just meaning that I can understand that peer to peer can just plain suck sometimes. But it's definitely something new with this year's game. When the same people that played 11 without a problem are having nothing but issues with 12, something has obviously changed.

Yeah I've never really had problems in the past but with this years game i can be just sitting in the lobby and I'll get a message that I'm kicked out of the EA servers, still in the PSN though.Yeah, I've seen that too. And my understanding is that the peer-to-peer connection also has a more passive connection to EA's servers during gameplay. So maybe the connection to the EA server is what's causing the drop? That would explain the occasions when two people are on mic and can hear each other after they're "disconnected".

skipwondah33
07-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Prime sent you message on PSN earlier if you wanted to try again but your on Netflix. I'm getting ready to sign off and will try to be on later today. I'm not going to keep trying to play this game over only to keep getting disco'd plus I don't want to hold us up much longer

If you need to play the CPU or sim it doesn't really matter. This is BS I haven't been able to get a user game in since Wednesday of release week

fsuprime
07-31-2011, 11:49 AM
+1 to all of onebacks post.

it really sucks because the game plays very well imo :/ i was having an amazing time playing skip.

im going to lunch in 30, ill be back around 3.

gschwendt
07-31-2011, 03:21 PM
skip & I were able to successfully get in an OD game in TGT PS3 OD. Our first attempt DC'd (I paused before kickoff) but on the second attempt, I told him for both of us to pause before kickoff. We were able to complete the game, however there were two instances of the "Please Wait..." popping up. Not sure if pausing did the trick or just lucky circumstances but obviously something to try.

skipwondah33
07-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Yeah what G proposed worked but like he said I did think it would disco a few times. Prime we can try this when we play. I'm free to go if you are here soon

fsuprime
07-31-2011, 07:57 PM
doh sorry, been cleaning up the apt all night through this hangover to get ready for my move tuesday. I can play tomorrow early afternoon/evening?

skipwondah33
08-01-2011, 07:49 AM
Prime does 715 est work this evening?

fsuprime
08-01-2011, 09:03 AM
yep that is perfect

fsuprime
08-01-2011, 03:23 PM
ive got a storm going on over here skip and my wife is freaking out about the move, im packing up my stuff, go ahead and auto pilot me and play vs cpu. sorry guys, move day is here :/

Oneback
08-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I just put prime on auto-pilot.

skipwondah33
08-01-2011, 03:59 PM
It wouldn't be fair for me to play the CPU Prime. We both put in effort to play the game but this disco/freeze issue stopped us.

Sim the game OB, I'm not taking a win like that.

My bad for us holding up the dynasty fellas.

fsuprime
08-01-2011, 04:25 PM
i appreciate that skip, i wouldn't mind if you play it, once i get setup in boca on the 8th ill be ready to roll and back to my old self.