PDA

View Full Version : How to pass better from under center?

Justin66
07-23-2011, 09:10 AM
looking for some tips on passing from undercenter sets thx for the help in advance.

Dr Death
07-23-2011, 11:44 AM
It would help if you told us what type of offense you run or want to run. One of the good things about being under center is the QB can get the ball out quick and you don't have to worry about a high, or low, snap, as in shot-gun. :UTEP: has a great 5-Wide under center formation and :SMU: has some great 4-Wide under center formations. But w/ out knowing what you want to do, or what your philosophy is, it's rather difficult to go into too much detail.

Justin66
07-23-2011, 11:53 AM
pro style mainly

Dr Death
07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
While I don't run Pro Style, there should be a number of quick passes to the FB, drag routes to the TE, swing routes to the HB as well as quick slants to the WR's. If you go 3-Wide, you should have an array of quick outs to the slot and mesh routes {crossing routes} between the slot and TE or the slot and one of the other WR's, depending on which side of the field the slot lines up in.

ram29jackson
07-26-2011, 02:22 PM
in this game, you have to take control of QB as soon as you snap it...drop back fast-of course not cheesey fast- and ...well from that point its what and how you do reads and audibles etc

gigemaggs99
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM
I would suggest going through the playbooks and finding the formations you're looking for. Then once you have your PB selected learn it backwards and forwards....lord knows I have this problem myself as I try different playbooks all the time.

However, once you pick one you can go to the practice field and work on the different under center passes, runs, SG passes, etc...on different defense by press Select (PS3) or BACK on (XBOX 360) this will let you practice the same offensive play over and over vs different defenses.

Personnally I've tried a BUTT LOAD of playbooks and I think instead of fighin' it, I'm going to work on my FIGHTIN' TEXAS AGGIES PB. I has a nice mixture of under center formations and few SG, I think it's considered "multiple" so it has a good mixture.

MULTIPLE PB also has some nice undercenter formations but I fight with it b/c it's not very realistic. In my opinion real teams don't have a BUNCH of formations (well maybe they do but their gameplan doesn't open the entire book up in 1 game). It seems like they use a handful of formations to give similar looks but run multiple plays from those similar formations to keep the defense guessing and try and catch them off-guard.

One thing I've done to help with my under center passing is, try and learn to read the defense, presnap. Know your routes and what will work vs what the defense is showing you...i.e. not only are they in man or zone, or cover 1,2,3,etc.... but is the middle of the field more open? Then hotroute a TE to a slant or streak....if the flats are open hot route a WR. Don't be afraid of getting short quick passes off. This will keep the chains moving and will make the defense cheat up, then you can bust a big one.

Motion also helps as do overloaded formations, i.e. trips, slot, etc...something where you are overloading one side of the coverage. If you come in out ACE normal for example try motioning a TE over, forcing the defense to cover 1 of the TEs. Once you overload a side, you can also have the HB or FB run up behind that overloaded side for a quick dump off. These may not give you the BIG gains you're looking for but in real college football they don't throw the BOMB every play.

I feel if I have some nice long drives in the 1st and 2nd quarter, hopefully put some points on the board, then when I am up late in the 2nd half I can start pounding the runs b/c the D-line will be tired from playing so much in the 1st half. This is all good in theory of course...I'm not the best player out there. I just enjoy a good game and like sim style.

Hope something I said helps.

Good luck sir and have fun!

TheRezyReb
08-01-2011, 01:21 AM
My primary set is One Back, there are a ton of good plays from under center. The key imo is to get rid of the ball quick (drew brees style). 2 mississippi and thats about it. I use quick outs(usualy always hot route a te) a lot. I have also had great luck with the deep ball as well. If you have a decent wr, you can usualy hit him on a 3 step drop if the corner gets beat off the line(if you wait any longer the corner and or safety shows up). This being said, it sets up my bread and butter play.... the draw! If you burn them a few times with quick outs or quick hitter on the streak, they almost always go to zone.... Draw play= big runs as they drop into coverage. Just my 2 cents.:easy:

TheRezyReb
08-01-2011, 01:29 AM
Ha the more I think about it, I may add some more one back sets and get rid of the I sets that I might use once or twice a game. I mean there are some plays where a te or fullback automotion to an I or strong/weak formation anyway!

cjg225
08-01-2011, 10:05 AM
My primary set is One Back, there are a ton of good plays from under center. The key imo is to get rid of the ball quick (drew brees style). 2 mississippi and thats about it. I use quick outs(usualy always hot route a te) a lot. I have also had great luck with the deep ball as well. If you have a decent wr, you can usualy hit him on a 3 step drop if the corner gets beat off the line(if you wait any longer the corner and or safety shows up). This being said, it sets up my bread and butter play.... the draw! If you burn them a few times with quick outs or quick hitter on the streak, they almost always go to zone.... Draw play= big runs as they drop into coverage. Just my 2 cents.:easy:
I feel like that's what I SHOULD do, but any time I do, my receivers are not open at all. I try to read the D, I try to pick plays that I think will get match ups that I want, but most of the time, the CPU defenses I face are all over my receivers like dirty shirts. I've found a few pass plays that work maybe 30% of the time, but even then I get a lot of drops.

Passing is the bane of my existence. I want to pass more because I KNOW I have to in order to win, but I can't help but run most of the time because my forays into passing are so... bad.

TheRezyReb
08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Try this one for starts - ace te big flip.... play is called te out
good routes here - wr streaking, double te quick out (diff levels),rb angle, and the other wr runs a deep hitch.

This gives you 2 QUICK reads and 2 late reads --- 1st z wr(te side) 2nd inside te( runs a 5 yard out) 3rd rb (runs an angle to the middle) 4th the othe wr runs a deep hitch

HoggyStyle
08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
I typically run the majority of my plays from under center.

The most basic principle when passing from under center is to let your qb dictate his own drop. The more you fidget around with the qb the more you will be taking time away from reading progressions.

Your qb will do his 3-5 step drop on his own twice as fast as you can by manually controlling him and trying to sprint backwards.

The next thing I would have to say is don't pay attention to your qb (this has gotten me in trouble in the past; I never take my eyes off of what is developing downfield.) If you are too busy trying to figure out where the pressure is coming from and sprinting around with your quarterback you have already lost the battle.

I will reiterate things that others have said; make sure you have a good idea where you want to go with the ball pre snap; pay attention to how the defense lines up and where your openings will be (1 high safety, 2 high, show blitz etc.) I typically know my reads depending on the scheme I am running but when I first started out it helped me to have a low-high-out progression. Example would when I first started passing I would be looking to the shorter routes then to deeper routes, then to my dump offs.