PDA

View Full Version : How & when did you start liking "your team?"

boogeyman1
07-19-2011, 07:25 PM
i saw it (2001 bcs nc) wasn't even into cfb and just loved how they played. didn't even know it was the title game

cjg225
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I was born into a Penn State family and there really wasn't a choice. I've been a diehard since Day 0. It wasn't until about 10 months ago that I even had a piece of clothing with a college symbol other than Penn State's on it and I'm 23. lol

I didn't want to leave PSU so badly that I basically threw all my eggs in one basket for graduate school applications; it was PSU or bust. Fortunately, it worked out and I am not heading into my 7th straight year of study at University Park.

JBHuskers
07-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Been in Nebraska since 1983, didn't start getting into them huge until my mom remarried. My ex-step dad's parents were HUGE supporters and donators of the university and had season tickets every year. 1991 was my first Husker game at 12 years old. Then I went to college there from 1998 until I graduated in 2002. And now I am forever known in the gaming world as JBHuskers.

SmoothPancakes
07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Been in Nebraska since 1983, didn't start getting into them huge until my mom remarried. My ex-step dad's parents were HUGE supporters and donators of the university and had season tickets every year. 1991 was my first Husker game at 12 years old. Then I went to college there from 1998 until I graduated in 2002. And now I am forever known in the gaming world as JBHuskers.

You don't even want to know what name he went by in the gaming world before JBHuskers. :sick:

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 08:54 PM
:D :D :D

Being born and raised in WV, loving the Mountaineers is a requirement, punishable by exile.

JeffHCross
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Parents were alumni, as were grandparents on one side (and my grandfather was tenured professor with a building named after him). It was pretty much a given since birth.

stanfordfan1
07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
i started liking cal when they beat usc 34-31 in triple overtime in 2003 then i started likeing usc a year late and i started liking stanford in 2005 when they lost to ucla 30-27 after leading 24-3

bdoughty
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Sooner Born and Sooner Bred and when I die I will be Sooner Dead!

Deuce
07-20-2011, 06:47 PM

Amen.

JBHuskers
07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

RIP :D

bdoughty
07-20-2011, 07:38 PM
RIP :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5vyx6MM9Fk

Big 12 Football Championship

Appearances - Wins - Losses

OU 8 - 7 - 1
Neb 6 - 2 - 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASMmSX4-b88

OptionMasta
07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
:D :D :D

Being born and raised in WV, loving the Mountaineers is a requirement, punishable by exile.

Which is really not a punishment at all.

I became a Pitt fan when I started law school here in 2008.

morsdraconis
07-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Which is really not a punishment at all.

I became a Pitt fan when I started law school here in 2008.

Coming from someone that lives in the shithole known as Pittsburgh. ;)

psuexv
07-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Born in State College, raised about 30 minutes away, Dad had season tickets since before I was born, went to school there... not really any other choice. PSU.

Funny thing is I've never seen any other coach, coach them

SmoothPancakes
07-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Born in State College, raised about 30 minutes away, Dad had season tickets since before I was born, went to school there... not really any other choice. PSU.

Funny thing is I've never seen any other coach, coach them

I'm pretty sure no one who posts on this forum has.

psusnoop
07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
I used to cry (yes used to) when I was 8-12 about the fear of JoePa not coaching PSU forever. So far 26 years later he is STILL HERE :D:D

Honestly like psuexv, we had no choice but to be PSU fans.

psusnoop
07-21-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm pretty sure no one who posts on this forum has.

From our TGA league, I bet JDFlakes has.

jaymo76
07-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Late 1980's saw Arizona St. in one of the New Year's bowls (back in the good old days whern pretty much all bowls were on one day). Instantly loved the colous, logo, unis, etc.

SmoothPancakes
07-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Late 1980's saw Arizona St. in one of the New Year's bowls (back in the good old days whern pretty much all bowls were on one day). Instantly loved the colous, logo, unis, etc.

And if you saw Arizona St. for the first time today with their new unis?

jaymo76
07-21-2011, 02:45 PM
And if you saw Arizona St. for the first time today with their new unis?

Turn off the channel then donate the TV to charity... lol. Bring back Sparky!!!

souljahbill
07-21-2011, 03:13 PM
The day my parents dropped me off in the freshmen quad and I moved into my dorm room in August of '96. Since then, I've been all about them Golden Eagles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baseballplyrmvp
07-21-2011, 07:38 PM
at the time, me and my 8 year old cousin used to swap xbox games. i think i swapped him spiderman for ncaa 04. the first team i chose to start a dynasty with was :Hawaii:. and i've been a fan ever since then. i also hopped on the :USC: bandwagon back in 2001 and have rooted for them too.

HawkFan
07-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Was born into a family of Iowa fans. My grandfather went to games in the 30's through the 80's, my father has had season tickets since 69 and graduated from there. I started going to games with him when I was five and missed only two games from 82 til 2005 when I moved to Ohio, I graduated from there as well. I did not have a choice in who I rooted for and my son and daughter don't either. I have converted my Buckeye wife to a diehard Hawkeye and my sons name is Kinnick Jon Hayden, after their Heisman trophy winner Nile Kinnick and coaching hero Hayden Fry.

Nothingface
07-30-2011, 06:29 AM
1987. Testicleverde fucking up against Penn State. Just liked the team look at first. lol. Followed them as cable began airing more and more of their games. good times.

JerzeyReign
07-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Well, with me growing up in Jersey I really didn't have too many local teams to root for. Our two main TV networks (ABC and KYW) were dominated by Michigan (ABC) and Miami (KYW). My uncle was a Michigan fan and every time I used to go to his house on Saturday for my weekly haircut as a youngster he always had the game on. Not sure of the exact moment but I know when I got a hand me down Michigan Starter Pull Over (remember those?) I knew the only team colors I would ever adorn. My love for the Wolverines began when I was about 6 years old. My first love was that Starter Jacket and my first heartbreak was Kordell Stew... you know what? Just knock it down...

Edit: And I have love for Miami as well but I will kill for Michigan...

DariusLock
07-30-2011, 11:12 AM
I was a big Miami/Colorado fan before Eli's Sophomore year, my Cousin received a scholly to go play for Ole Miss as he was one of the top linemen in the state. Once I got all the free family tickets I was hooked and have been buying season tickets since.

kywildcat
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Been a part of Big Blue Nation since birth...but didn't really start liking the football team until my dad started taking me to the games when Tim Couch was QB :) (my great uncle was a scout for UK back in the day so we have season ticket near midfield row 2 babay!!!!). My first real love for the team came when J-Lo (Jared Lorenzen) was our QB, my mamaw knew his mom and got him and Derek smith to sign a UK helmet for me, although neither turned out to do much at the next level it's still one of my most prized possessions.